Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Quick 2017 Pro V1 and Pro V1x Trackman Review

90 replies to this topic

#31 dukediv2011

dukediv2011

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 236875
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 162

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:51 PM

HoganHO, on 04 February 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

Great info and update.

I'm gonna play with the 2017 ProV1 this week (currently a 2015 V1x player).
Will try to post my impressions here.

Do or do not. There is no try. ;)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 jwb10

jwb10

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21682
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

JustinMartinPGA, on 04 February 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

Hello WRXers.

This is my first post on here, so play nice! But, as I'm currently ball testing right now to get ready for my upcoming season, I felt that this would be a good topic to chime in on. (Full disclosure: I will be gaming some form of ProV for the 2017 season.)

I have been playing each version of the ProVx since they released the golf ball. I had always preferred it to the ProV, as I always felt that the ProV spun too much, as I'm naturally a high spin player.

My rep encouraged my the try to the new ProV, as he claims it was "drastically different" than previous generations. He sent me a couple boxes of each so I dug in.

Played 18 yesterday at the little 9-hole golf course I run, shot 3-under 67, and played 9 holes each with the ProV and ProVx. Here's what I found:

The ProV immediately to me feels much softer than any version of the X I've ever played around the greens. It's a little bit off-putting at first, but the more you hit it, you get used to it. Off full swings, it feels ever so slightly softer, but the difference to me there is negligible. Here's what I like about the ProV - I can drive my iron shots in much lower, but still retain the spin that I'd like in order to control the ball once it lands on the greens. On woods off the tee, the landing angle is much flatter than with X, and I can count on getting a decent bit of roll once summer shows up and everything starts to firm up. As a high-spin player, I've been looking for ways to lower my spin off the tee to take advantage of firmer conditions, and I'm very excited about the prospect of doing that just by switching golf balls.

The ProVx is Old Faithful. Takes off high, goes forever, and stops where it lands. It's as consistent as it's ever been, and still retains the smooth 'click' off the putter that I've grown to love over the past 10 years.

Here's what might get me - the ProV around the greens to this point is far and away the better performing ball for how I like to play. I prefer to drive shots in lower with spin as opposed to controlling shots with trajectory. So far, the ProV has done everything I've asked around the greens and then some. The softer feel is going to take a lot to get used to though, and is one of the main determining factors as to whether or not I switch from the ProVx to the ProV.

I've got to take them to a bigger ballpark to try them out, as my course is only 5,600 yards when played twice from the back tee. Depending on what I see once I get to a larger course, I'm giving strong consideration to switching to the ProV, primarily because of improved performance around the greens.

I would encourage all of you that are debating ball switches for the 2017 season, start from inside 50 yards, experiment there HEAVILY, and then take it further out. Think about the shots you like to play at your home course, what you're confident in doing, and play the ball that best plays to those strengths. And then go visit your local PGA Professional for some lessons as to improve those weaknesses! :derisive:

Glad to help! Happy hunting! Thanks for all you guys do to promote the game. I've been a fan of GolfWRX ever since I've discovered the site, and am humbled to be able to offer an opinion.
Welcome ! Great 1st post. Your results are similar to mine, and as I am a high spin player, too, I found the trajectory and a little roll was great. Also, it's soft but not mooshy, can't wait till I get to Scottsdale to test some more. :welcomeani:  :to_become_senile:

Edited by jwb10, 04 February 2017 - 04:16 PM.

#33 Morety

Morety

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133782
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

I just got done playing a full round with only the new ProV1 and loved it.  My drives were just as long as they have ever been (especially for 60 degrees weather) and the ball is great around the greens.  I want to play a full round with the ProV1x next, but I may be switching to the ProV1 this year.  It's just a great ball.
Titleist 917 D2 driver
Callaway XR16 3 wood
PXG 0317 hybrid
PXG 0311 4-PW irons
Vokey SM6 50F, 54S, 60S wedges
Scotty Cameron 009 Circle T putter
2017 Titleist ProV1

#34 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 2,489 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50361
  • Handicap:7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 533

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:41 PM

Six round in the books and back home to cold, grey, gloomy Michigan. (Lucky me!)

Let me not lead anyone on with suspense of my decision... Because as of right now, there isn't one. (Poor me!)

Let me explain:
  • In my opinion, both 2017 Pro V models are fantastic offerings.
  • They play considerably closer to each other than any previous models of years past, at least for my game.
  • I could easily game either model and adjust parts of my game to fit the ball.
  • Titleist's claim of picking a ball that feels best and performs best from the "green back" is completely warranted in my opinion with these new models.
  • I typically do just the opposite, pick a ball I like best off the driver, and then adapt my short game accordingly.  My short game is my strength and driver is my weakness, hence why I've used this logic in years past.
Performance:
  • With 2017 Pro V models, the driver game appears to be almost identical in my results; however via two different styles.  V1x is long because it carries a bit further and rolls out less.  V1 is long because it is flat and falls out of the air with a shallow decent, therefore rolling out more to finish its full distance gains.  Therefore, if you play in soft wet conditions often, I would recommend V1x; firm fast conditions V1 would get my nod.
  • Woods and hybrids definitely had a more piercing trajectory with V1, but not low by any stretch.  I hit a relatively high ball, and when playing V1 and V1x side by side, V1's flight gave the appearance that V1x launched too high to my eye (for whatever thats worth).
  • Long and mid irons seem to have similar distances, heights and spin.
  • I had more confidence with full wedges and short irons with V1.  It appeared to give a more consistent "reaction" on the greens.  Never did I get one of those occasional "zippers" that brought my ball back 15 feet from the ball mark.  However, V1x did seem to bite harder, and if I'm approaching a green from the thick lush rough in the middle of summer, that extra spin could come in quite handy. (I did rip a V1x back 20 feet when hitting a 60 yard bunker shot... Not cool)
  • Around the greens it was no contest, V1 has more bite.  Because of my short game style, this is much preferred over the V1x which often checked a bit, and then rolled out more than I like (I had same issues with 2015 V1x, so nothing new here).
If you are reading this and thinking, "this fool isn't fooling anyone... he already made his decision... he prefers the 2017 V1," you are close to being right.  My hesitation is that both balls are good, and they both play well with different parts of my game.  As I have mentioned a couple times, I would be happy gaming either ball, which is what makes my final choice such a challenge.

I'll be in San Diego the middle of next for six more glorious rounds of golf.  I will once again alternate between both models and plan to have a definitive decision upon rounding out that trip.  My statement from earlier, "gun to my head, I would choose V1," still stands.  But what can hurt in spending a little more time evaluating before settling into my final 2017 ball choice... not a thing.

Edited by G-Bone, 07 February 2017 - 11:53 AM.

Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero Driver 9º ~ Tour AD DI-6
TaylorMade M2 Fairway (2016) 16.5º ~ Tour AD GT-7
Callaway XR Pro Hybrid 20º ~ Tour AD GT-75 UT
Callaway XR Pro Hybrid 23º ~ Tour AD HY-85
Epon by Endo AF-503 Irons 5–PW ~ Project X 5.5 (Hard Stepped +1)
Titleist Hand Ground by Bob Vokey Raw SM6 51.13 F (Heal & Tour Grind) ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Hand Ground by Bob Vokey Raw SM6 57.09 M (Tour Grind) ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Hand Ground by Bob Vokey Raw SM6 63.09 M (Tour Grind) ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140) ~ 34"
Titleist Pro V1 (2017) ~ #45

#35 jwb10

jwb10

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:48 PM

G-Bone, on 06 February 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

Six round in the books and back home to cold, grey, gloomy Michigan. (Lucky me!)

Let me not lead anyone on with suspense of my decision... Because as of right now, there isn't one. (Poor me!)

Let me explain:
  • In my opinion, both 2017 Pro V models are fantastic offerings.
  • They play considerably closer to each other than any previous models of years past, at least for my game.
  • I could easily game either model and adjust parts of my game to fit the ball.
  • Titleist's claim of picking a ball that feels best and performs best from the "green back" is completely warranted in my opinion with these new models.
  • I typically do just the opposite, pick a ball I like best off the driver, and then adapt my short game accordingly.  My short game is my strength and driver is my weakness, hence why I've used this logic in years past.
Performance:
  • With 2017 Pro V models, the driver game appears to be almost identical in my results; however via two different styles.  V1x is long because it carries a bit further and rolls out less.  V1 is long because it is flat and falls out of there air with a shallow decent, therefore rolling out more to finish its full distance gains.  Therefore, if you play in soft wet conditions often, I would recommend V1x; firm fast conditions V1 would get my nod.
  • Woods and hybrids definitely had a more piercing trajectory with V1, but now low by any stretch.  I hit a relatively high ball, and when playing V1 and V1x side by side, V1's flight gave the appearance that V1x launched too high to my eye (for whatever thats worth).
  • Long and mid irons seem to have similar distances, heights and spin.
  • I had more confidence with full wedges and short irons with V1.  It appeared to give a more consistent "reaction" on the greens.  Never did I get one of those occasional "zippers" that brought my ball back 15 feet from the ball mark.  However, V1x did seem to bite harder, and if I'm approaching a green from the thick lush rough in the middle of summer, that extra spin could come in quite handy. (I did rip a V1x back 20 feet when hitting a 60 yard bunker shot... Not cool)
  • Around the greens it was no contest, V1 has more bite.  Because of my short game style, this is much preferred over the V1x which often checked a bit, and then rolled out more than I like (I had same issues with 2015 V1x, so nothing new here).
If you are reading this and thinking, "this fool isn't fooling anyone... he already made his decision... he prefers the 2017 V1," you are close to being right.  My hesitation is that both balls are good, and they both play well with different parts of my game.  As I have mentioned a couple times, I would be happy gaming either ball, which is what makes my final choice such a challenge.

I'll be in San Diego the middle of next for six more glorious rounds of golf.  I will once again alternate between both models and plan to have a definitive decision upon rounding out that trip.  My statement from earlier, "gun to my head, I would choose V1," still stands.  But what can hurt in spending a little more time evaluating before settling into my final 2017 ball choice... not a thing.
  You can never go home again...especially Michigan in February !! :pimp: :pimp:

#36 TheGriftKings

TheGriftKings

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428822
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

Interesting...so with that said, where does the 2017 V1 rank with the 2015 V1x?

#37 swizbeatz

swizbeatz

Major Winner

• 4,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137276
  • Handicap:+.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1164

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:34 AM

Good update
Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

#38 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 2,489 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:05 PM

TheGriftKings, on 07 February 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

In my opinion, now that I have played 2017 Pro V on the course, it's a better all around ball for my game than 2015 Pro V1x.

Also, I just reviewed my Trackman results from last week and noticed something interesting that I had over looked regarding 2015 V1x... Both 2017 Pro V models were longer with driver, by a fair margin.  2017 V1 carried five yards longer and was a total of seven yards longer than 2015 V1x, and 2017 V1x carried nine yards longer and was a total of ten yards longer than 2015 V1x.

In summary, I now realize I will not miss 2015 V1x.  My only decision is which part of my game do I focus on with the new V1 offerings... X for a little extra distance on drives with less green side control' or V for extra short game control and perhaps slightly shorter mid irons.

Now that I have realized both 2017 models are longer off the driver than my old gamer, the case gets even stronger for 2017 Pro V1.  The very last piece of confirmation I need is with mid irons (6,7 & 8).  Once I confirm 2017 V1 is not shorter off my mid irons (remember Trackman originally showed 2017 V1 shorter there for me) I will most likely put the new V1 in play for 2017.  If I find that distance is indeed missing in the middle of my bag, I may likely sacrifice the "new short game control" and game 2017 V1x... As mentioned before, I do not want to get into fixing club gapping.
Titleist Hand Ground by Bob Vokey Raw SM6 51.13 F (Heal & Tour Grind) ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140) ~ 34"

#39 TheGriftKings

TheGriftKings

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428822
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

Thanks - this is a great post and we all appreciate the time you've taken to breakdown your results.

#40 laxbc101

laxbc101

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38195
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:20 AM

G-Bone, on 07 February 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

In my opinion, now that I have played 2017 Pro V on the course, it's a better all around ball for my game than 2015 Pro V1x.

Also, I just reviewed my Trackman results from last week and noticed something interesting that I had over looked regarding 2015 V1x... Both 2017 Pro V models were longer with driver, by a fair margin.  2017 V1 carried five yards longer and was a total of seven yards longer than 2015 V1x, and 2017 V1x carried nine yards longer and was a total of ten yards longer than 2015 V1x.

In summary, I now realize I will not miss 2015 V1x.  My only decision is which part of my game do I focus on with the new V1 offerings... X for a little extra distance on drives with less green side control' or V for extra short game control and perhaps slightly shorter mid irons.

Now that I have realized both 2017 models are longer off the driver than my old gamer, the case gets even stronger for 2017 Pro V1.  The very last piece of confirmation I need is with mid irons (6,7 & 8).  Once I confirm 2017 V1 is not shorter off my mid irons (remember Trackman originally showed 2017 V1 shorter there for me) I will most likely put the new V1 in play for 2017.  If I find that distance is indeed missing in the middle of my bag, I may likely sacrifice the "new short game control" and game 2017 V1x... As mentioned before, I do not want to get into fixing club gapping.
I don't know why, but I genuinely care what ball you decide to play for 2017. Whichever model ProV you choose, please compare it to the TP5x and the XV

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 2,489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:54 AM

laxbc101, on 08 February 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

I don't know why, but I genuinely care what ball you decide to play for 2017. Whichever model ProV you choose, please compare it to the TP5x and the XV

lax, That's funny you say that, because often times I read posts on here and start to actually care what the guys decide on their equipment as well... Us golf nuts are one crazy bunch HAHA!!

Regarding the TP5 balls - I was fortunate enough to receive a dozen protos of each TP5 and TP5x and played them in December.  Neither ball seemed to fit my game well, both are great balls, but just didn't impress me much.  One thing I loved about both models was their green side control, best ball in the category I have tested.  2017 Pro V is close, but TP5x appeared to be the king for me, with TP5 a very close second.  I had incredibly high hopes for the TP5 ball, as I was a loyal TM ball guy going all the way back to Red LDP.  In fact, 2105 Pro V1x was the first time I had gamed a Titleist ball sense the old school Professional 90.

#42 jll62

jll62

Tour Winner

• 914 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9627
  • Handicap:+2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 470

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

Great update. Thanks! Have you noticed anything regarding wind performance of the new balls? I've always found past Pro V1/V1x offerings to be lacking in that category. It's one of the factors that put the Srixon Z-Star XV so high on my list, and also why I'm excited to test the TP5x.

#43 Uhit

Uhit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450896
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:43 PM

G-Bone, on 08 February 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

lax, That's funny you say that, because often times I read posts on here and start to actually care what the guys decide on their equipment as well... Us golf nuts are one crazy bunch HAHA!!

Regarding the TP5 balls - I was fortunate enough to receive a dozen protos of each TP5 and TP5x and played them in December.  Neither ball seemed to fit my game well, both are great balls, but just didn't impress me much.  One thing I loved about both models was their green side control, best ball in the category I have tested.  2017 Pro V is close, but TP5x appeared to be the king for me, with TP5 a very close second.  I had incredibly high hopes for the TP5 ball, as I was a loyal TM ball guy going all the way back to Red LDP.  In fact, 2105 Pro V1x was the first time I had gamed a Titleist ball sense the old school Professional 90.

I am a bit surprised, that those balls didn´t fit you well, despite their superior green side characteristics, which you reported.
What was the reason, why you were not impressed?

Was it the gapping between your clubs, which didn´t fit with those balls,
or the durability. or something else?

#44 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 2,489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

jll62, on 08 February 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

Great update. Thanks! Have you noticed anything regarding wind performance of the new balls? I've always found past Pro V1/V1x offerings to be lacking in that category. It's one of the factors that put the Srixon Z-Star XV so high on my list, and also why I'm excited to test the TP5x.

The wind wasn't too heavy last week, at most we had 10-15 mph gusts.  Into the wind I can tell you I saw zero ballooning, I was very surprised how solid it was into a head wind.

Regarding side winds, from what little wind exposure I had, 2017 Pro V's did well.  However, I don't believe we had enough wind to fairly say I saw an improvement over 2015 Pro V models, but it certainly wasn't worse.

#45 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 2,489 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:09 PM

Uhit, on 08 February 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

I am a bit surprised, that those balls didn´t fit you well, despite their superior green side characteristics, which you reported.

I was surprised as well, I had very high hopes for TP5.  

TP5x had incredibly high launch, too high for my game.  TP5 was much more to my liking, however the ball had much more spin than I prefer.  It moved a lot with my driver and over spun into greens, for me.  Also, when I compared it to 2015 Pro V1x on the course, both TP5 models came up short on distances... This was disappointing to me because I have heard so much about distance gains other have seen.

This being said, I think if you are a low ball hitter the TP5x could be an wonderful fit, I appeared to lose distance because of the high launch.  Also, if you subscribe to Tigers theory, "give me the ball that spins the most and I will take spin off as I see fit (I'm not nearly good enough for that!), I could see the TP5 being a great ball for you as well.

Hope that sheds a little light on my decision.

#46 Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221885
GolfWRX Likes : 2873

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:11 PM

laxbc101, on 01 February 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

Morety, on 31 January 2017 - 10:38 PM, said:

I did a little testing myself this afternoon, although I didn't have the luxury of a Trackman for real numbers.  I traditionally play a ProV1x, have a driver swing speed around 105-110mph, and play to a 15, although it's been dropping and is probably a little hard by playing a links style course that is not forgiving if you're outside the first cut of rough.  

It was 55* and sunny here today so I decided to get out on the course with a sleeve of new ProV1s, new ProV1xs, ChromeSofts, and new ChromeSoftXs.  I started on the putting green and all felt pretty similar to me on the putting green.  There's a slight difference in feel between the Titleists but it's not that one is bad.  Same way with the Callaways.  

Next I went to the chipping green and hit two of each of the four balls in a variety of pitch and chip shots.  No two golf swings are the same, but I felt like the ProV1x and the ChromeSoftX checked up the best around the green.  ProV1 wasn't far behind.  Around the practice green, I liked these three better than the ChromeSoft.

Then I went out to the course and got 16 holes in before it got dark.  I didn't really have a scientific approach to my testing and sometimes hit two of the same ball, sometimes hit two different balls off the tee, sometimes dropped a second, different ball next to my ball to hit two approach shots, etc.  Again, I think that I liked the ProV1x and ChromeSoftX the best, but all four worked for me.  I think the ProV1x is slightly longer than the ProV1, although the gap is probably closer than in 2015.  But I'm used to the ProV1x and know my distances with it.

I did have one memorable shot where I hit the regular ChromeSoft from 110 with my 50* Vokey and the ball landed right next to the pin and spun back at least ten yards to the front of the green.  So the ChromeSoft also had plenty of spin around the green.

I think that the Titleist balls may be closer to each other than they were with the 2015 balls, but I think I liked the ChromeSoftX better than the regular ChromeSoft.  I'm going to try to play again tomorrow afternoon, but long story short, I am not sure if I'm good enough of a player to really tell the differences between the two Titleists and the ChromeSoftX with my January swing when it's 55*.  My playing partner was scratch golfer and he's a diehard Callaway guy and plans to play the ChromeSoftX this year, but he also really liked both Titleists and didn't think they were drastically different.  

Long story short, I think all four are great balls.  If Titleist runs another special this spring where it's buy 3, get 1 free, I'll probably load up on ProV1xs.  If they are full price and the Callaways are $10 cheaper per dozen, I'll probably get the ChromeSoftX.  I just don't think you can go wrong with any of these.
(casually drops a pic of a 009)

murdered out to boot
LTD Pro - Chrome+ 6f4
G25 3w - UST Silver 7s
RBZ 19* - UST Silver 7s
Apex CF16 5i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565 6-PW - Project X 5.5
SM5 49, 54, 58 - Rifle 6.0
SM5 62 - S400
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS

#47 Uhit

Uhit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

G-Bone, on 08 February 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

Uhit, on 08 February 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

I was surprised as well, I had very high hopes for TP5.  

TP5x had incredibly high launch, too high for my game.  TP5 was much more to my liking, however the ball had much more spin than I prefer.  It moved a lot with my driver and over spun into greens, for me.  Also, when I compared it to 2015 Pro V1x on the course, both TP5 models came up short on distances... This was disappointing to me because I have heard so much about distance gains other have seen.

This being said, I think if you are a low ball hitter the TP5x could be an wonderful fit, I appeared to lose distance because of the high launch.  Also, if you subscribe to Tigers theory, "give me the ball that spins the most and I will take spin off as I see fit (I'm not nearly good enough for that!), I could see the TP5 being a great ball for you as well.

Hope that sheds a little light on my decision.

Thank you very much for the additional details.

I am just a curious guy, who want´s to try (know) nearly everything, that catches my attention...
...and the new TP5 and your hint, caught my attention.

According your observations, the TP5 should be more interesting for my game, than the TP5x.
However, it seems hard to beat the B330s (for my game), and I´m not in a hurry to replace this ball.

Anyway, I´m interested in your conclusions to the 2017 Z-Star(XV)...
...always curious... :D

Edited by Uhit, 08 February 2017 - 03:25 PM.

#48 Morety

Morety

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133782
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:22 PM

Played a full round with the ProV1x today and thought it was a little too spinny around the greens.  Had several shots land and back up 10-15', some backing off the green.  I think the ProV1 is probably a little bit better for me and won't back up as much on the greens.  Going to continue testing over the next month until the Titleist ball sale starts.
Titleist 917 D2 driver
Callaway XR16 3 wood
PXG 0317 hybrid
PXG 0311 4-PW irons
Vokey SM6 50F, 54S, 60S wedges
Scotty Cameron 009 Circle T putter
2017 Titleist ProV1

#49 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 2,489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:25 PM

Well, after a full Trackman session and chipping around the house, I am incredibly comfortable with my decision to play 2017 Pro V1 as my new ball.

Trackman confirmed what I saw on the course, I'm not losing distance with my mid irons, as my original Trackman session suggested.  On course I found short irons to be a couple of yards longer with 2017 V1 compared to 2015 and 2017 V1x, and it would appear that my mid irons are producing the same results.  Driver is a couple of yards shorter with 2017 V1 vs. V1x, however the performance and confidence I have with 2017 V1 through the rest of the bag is a welcome trade off.  No to mention, 2017 V1 is about seven yards longer than 2015 V1x, so I am still gaining year over year.

A quick note on Z Star XV:
I had a chance to test a few balls on Trackman yesterday as well.  The ball was at least five yards shorter through most of my bag when comparing to 2017 V1.  Between that and the feel (not surprisingly it's considerably firmer than V1), I decided not to pursue the Z Star VX any further.

Thank you to all for reading and sharing your input, it's what makes WRX such a great place!

Please feel free to fire any questions my way you may have, I'm happy to respond and assistance anyway I can.

I have five rounds in San Diego starting Thursday, and much like the weather at Pebble this week, it looks like I will see some rain and wind.  If I see anything ball related worth sharing, rest assured I will report back.

Until then, hit'm long and straight, my friends...

#50 jll62

jll62

Tour Winner

• 914 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9627
  • Handicap:+2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 470

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:52 PM

Thanks again for doing this. One of the most informative reviews ever done on this site.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 2,489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:14 PM

jll62, on 12 February 2017 - 10:52 PM, said:

Thanks again for doing this. One of the most informative reviews ever done on this site.

Thank you very much!  With the number of fantastic reviews on WRX, your compliment is a huge honor.

I am quite the golf ball nerd, so I truly love doing this and sharing it makes it even more fun, for me.

#52 jwb10

jwb10

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:53 PM

G-Bone, on 12 February 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

Well, after a full Trackman session and chipping around the house, I am incredibly comfortable with my decision to play 2017 Pro V1 as my new ball.

Trackman confirmed what I saw on the course, I'm not losing distance with my mid irons, as my original Trackman session suggested.  On course I found short irons to be a couple of yards longer with 2017 V1 compared to 2015 and 2017 V1x, and it would appear that my mid irons are producing the same results.  Driver is a couple of yards shorter with 2017 V1 vs. V1x, however the performance and confidence I have with 2017 V1 through the rest of the bag is a welcome trade off.  No to mention, 2017 V1 is about seven yards longer than 2015 V1x, so I am still gaining year over year.

A quick note on Z Star XV:
I had a chance to test a few balls on Trackman yesterday as well.  The ball was at least five yards shorter through most of my bag when comparing to 2017 V1.  Between that and the feel (not surprisingly it's considerably firmer than V1), I decided not to pursue the Z Star VX any further.

Thank you to all for reading and sharing your input, it's what makes WRX such a great place!

Please feel free to fire any questions my way you may have, I'm happy to respond and assistance anyway I can.

I have five rounds in San Diego starting Thursday, and much like the weather at Pebble this week, it looks like I will see some rain and wind.  If I see anything ball related worth sharing, rest assured I will report back.

Until then, hit'm long and straight, my friends...
Very cool! Scottsdale next week, I'll report back.

#53 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 2,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:31 PM

Poor California weather has postponed my trip. I'll be in Florida next week... will report back.

#54 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 2,489 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

The eagle has landed!

FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg

#55 Uhit

Uhit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:41 PM

G-Bone, on 21 February 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

The eagle has landed!

FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg

Congratulation - looks great! :good:

#56 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 2,489 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:42 PM

Uhit, on 21 February 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

The eagle has landed!

FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg

Thank you, sir!

#57 drvrwdge

drvrwdge

Major Winner

• 1,602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130591
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 445

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:59 PM

Awesome review. Its actually very shocking to me that the V1 was longer throughout the bag than the XV. My only guess is it may be a SS thing sine I believe the XV has a much higher compression... Not knocking you so please dont take offense but I think you have to have a SS up over 110 to get the full potential out of the XV (which you may have so in that case my point is mute).
Ping G LS Tec 10.5 5g Hotmelt, PX HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted 75 6.5 Tipped 1"
TM M2 3W HZRDUS Red 6.5
Ping G30 3H Ping Tour 90x
Ping i E1 4-PW Modus 105x
Ping Glide 50ss/54ss/58ts Modus 105x
Ping Redwood Anser
ProV1 '17

#58 Uhit

Uhit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

G-Bone, on 21 February 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

Uhit, on 21 February 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

The eagle has landed!

FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg

Thank you, sir!

My pleasure!

You have done a great job in evaluating, designing and photographing this little piece of artwork...
...it is a joy to watch, and will enhance the good feel on the course for sure.

I play golf to enjoy myself and the good strokes of everyone, and I can well imagine, that holding a nice looking ball within your hands, contributes to a cosy feel. :beach:

#59 moonshine

moonshine

MP5 & LS Tec new toys!

• 5,361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 469

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

Only thing I'm wondering is where in Michigan and on what surface are you comparing greenside spin?  I certainly notice a tad firmer feel in the test sleeve of ProV I received over previous gen balls.  However, since I'm low spin dude I defer to ProV all the time...or another brand.  I'm still on the B330 for now but mostly because of cost vs. performance.  I like the logo....Lord knows you dropped a few dimes after your wonderful test.
"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

#60 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 2,489 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

drvrwdge, on 21 February 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

Awesome review. Its actually very shocking to me that the V1 was longer throughout the bag than the XV. My only guess is it may be a SS thing sine I believe the XV has a much higher compression... Not knocking you so please dont take offense but I think you have to have a SS up over 110 to get the full potential out of the XV (which you may have so in that case my point is mute).

Thank you for your kind words, always appreciated!

No offense taken, actually I would imagine you are 100% correct... My driver average is about 100 mph.

It's great that golf enthusiasts such as all of us WRX'rs are lucky enough to have so many high quality ball choices to choose from... different "strokes" for different folks.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors