Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What is everyone doing to stay in shape?

Fitness

75 replies to this topic

#61 jane nair

jane nair

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489928
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:36 PM

View Postbenclab, on 31 January 2017 - 11:28 AM, said:

Lifting, yoga and no carbs after 2pm.
personally, I follow my gym instructor routine.every day I run on the treadmill, ride in an exercise bike, rowing machine exercise for 1 hour.then I do 4 chest workout, 2 shoulder workout, 4 bicep workout,2 tricep workout and 2 leg workout. I follow proper diet routine. and I think I m in perfect shape and I am happy with it.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 northgolf

northgolf

Pork

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79459
GolfWRX Likes : 1205

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:43 PM

Twelve oz. curls mixed and three oz. tumblers with a side of nachos.
If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun.  - Zippy the Pinhead

#63 Smashdcrab

Smashdcrab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482642
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:51 PM

View Postnorthgolf, on 06 January 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

John Daly in real life.

#64 aliikane

aliikane

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113801
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:56 PM

Mountain bike a lot. Running as well but much less. Trying to stretch and do exercises based only using my own body weight. Not into weight lifting.

#65 northgolf

northgolf

Pork

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:07 AM

View PostSmashdcrab, on 07 January 2018 - 09:51 PM, said:

View Postnorthgolf, on 06 January 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

John Daly in real life.

I would sure as hell drink a John Daly before I'd touch an Arnold Palmer.

#66 BigBod

BigBod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483992
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:52 AM

View Postgolfquest, on 05 January 2018 - 09:47 AM, said:

View PostBigBod, on 05 January 2018 - 05:18 AM, said:

Healthy eating, completely changed what i eat and lost 77 lbs in 12 months...about another 40 lbs should get me to where I need to be....
If you don't mind, what changes did you make regarding your eating habits?

I used to eat anything and everything. I was feeling ill and as it turns out had massively high blood pressure. I have cut out all the crap. I eat unlimited amounts of meat, fish, eggs, fruit and veg. A fair amount of potatoes/pasta and rice but if I find the weight isn't coming off I reduce the carbs. No alcohol, all soft drinks are sugar free but I still have 2 sugars in my tea and I have about 6 cups a day.

No bread, No cheese and the only milk I have is in my tea and on cereal for breakfast.

For snacks I always have cold meats, crab sticks, pickled onions and cottage cheese in the fridge...

I'm pretty tough on myself until I get to where I need to be then I will be a bit more flexible but keep an eye on my weight, never going back to being that fat again!

#67 Boricua Golf

Boricua Golf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137445
  • Handicap:3.3
  • Ebay ID:luisito11*11
GolfWRX Likes : 1354

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:00 AM

Funny thing is that I ran into my old trainer in my bodybuilding days last Saturday, he got me motivated again, so, today I am back in training mode, not competing but at least back to where I can feel more comfortable, since my accident in Baghdad I have not been a gym rat, my golf game has improved drastically (which is great), but when I was hitting the gym for bodybuilding my game went to crap, so he will have a new training routine that will allow me to keep my flexibility and regain my muscle mass...can't wait!!!!
Driver---------------Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
FW Wood----------Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
Hybrid---------------Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
Irons-----------------Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
Wedges-------------Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
Putter----------------Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour  32.75", built up Pingman Grip (Ping Oslo and Ping Nome TR as backup 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0)
Golf Ball-------------2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X

#68 Dr. Block

Dr. Block

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477376
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 381

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

I recently found out the issues I fight with my swing are due to poor interior hip flexibility, so I am making that my main priority at the gym.  Makes one wonder if a swing issue you think needs fixing at the range really needs fixing at the gym first.

#69 SirFuego

SirFuego

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466424
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

View PostDr. Block, on 08 January 2018 - 05:12 PM, said:

Makes one wonder if a swing issue you think needs fixing at the range really needs fixing at the gym first.

I agree, but I also wonder if it's not necessarily that it needs to be fixed at the gym, but rather that the gym helps to reduce the repetition needed to make a swing change.  As you try to introduce a new technical concept into your swing, the theory is that repetition allows your mind  to ingrain the change.  But repetition of a new move also seems to be a form of dynamic stretching.  So over time your muscles actually stretch/strengthen themselves to more efficiently make that move.  If that's the case, it would make sense that improving that at the gym would just help to expedite a swing change -- especially if you are only seeing incremental progress with the swing change.

I was fighting an early extension problem for the entire season with little success.  After working with a golf fitness guy (TPI certified) for a few weeks, that early extension problem has basically gone away and we are moving on to bigger and better things to address in my swing.  He's really been focused on the concept of disassociation -- namely being able to move muscles independently of each other.  When we first started working together, he would ask me to "move X".  I would do it.  Then he would ask me to "move X without moving Y" and I couldn't do it.  After a few weeks of doing the prescribed stretches and exercises, I was able to do it (or at least increase my range of motion before Y would move) and it was a lot easier to get into the positions I needed to at full speed.  As a result my ball striking improved despite hitting a LOT fewer balls per week than I did this past summer.

Edited by SirFuego, 12 January 2018 - 02:32 PM.

#70 Dr. Block

Dr. Block

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477376
GolfWRX Likes : 381

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

View PostSirFuego, on 12 January 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

Makes one wonder if a swing issue you think needs fixing at the range really needs fixing at the gym first.

I agree, but I also wonder if it's not necessarily that it needs to be fixed at the gym, but rather that the gym helps to reduce the repetition needed to make a swing change.  As you try to introduce a new technical concept into your swing, the theory is that repetition allows your mind  to ingrain the change.  But repetition of a new move also seems to be a form of dynamic stretching.  So over time your muscles actually stretch/strengthen themselves to more efficiently make that move.  If that's the case, it would make sense that improving that at the gym would just help to expedite a swing change -- especially if you are only seeing incremental progress with the swing change.

I was fighting an early extension problem for the entire season with little success.  After working with a golf fitness guy for a few weeks, that early extension problem has basically gone away and we are moving on to bigger and better things to address in my swing.  He's really been focused on the concept of disassociation -- namely being able to move muscles independently of each other.  When we first started working together, he would ask me to "move X".  I would do it.  Then he would ask me to "move X without moving Y" and I couldn't do it.  After a few weeks of doing the prescribed stretches and exercises, I was able to do it (or at least increase my range of motion before Y would move) and it was a lot easier to get into the positions I needed to at full speed.  As a result my ball striking improved despite hitting a LOT fewer balls per week than I did this past summer.

I think in my instance, with hip flexibility, no amount of range work was going to provide remedy.  It needed to be addressed with stretching and range of motion exercises in the gym.  I tried to force my body into the proper positions during practice all last season, and all it did was throw off my tempo and timing.  Now that I've been doing gym work in those areas, and even being really early into it, I've found my body naturally goes into the positions I was forcing last year.  Almost like it's simply that my body is now able

Edited by Dr. Block, 12 January 2018 - 02:41 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 RPantello

RPantello

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21506
  • Ebay ID:rtpptr
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

View PostDr. Block, on 12 January 2018 - 02:37 PM, said:

View PostSirFuego, on 12 January 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

I was fighting an early extension problem for the entire season with little success.  After working with a golf fitness guy for a few weeks, that early extension problem has basically gone away and we are moving on to bigger and better things to address in my swing.  He's really been focused on the concept of disassociation -- namely being able to move muscles independently of each other.  When we first started working together, he would ask me to "move X".  I would do it.  Then he would ask me to "move X without moving Y" and I couldn't do it.  After a few weeks of doing the prescribed stretches and exercises, I was able to do it (or at least increase my range of motion before Y would move) and it was a lot easier to get into the positions I needed to at full speed.  As a result my ball striking improved despite hitting a LOT fewer balls per week than I did this past summer.

I think in my instance, with hip flexibility, no amount of range work was going to provide remedy.  It needed to be addressed with stretching and range of motion exercises in the gym.  I tried to force my body into the proper positions during practice all last season, and all it did was throw off my tempo and timing.  Now that I've been doing gym work in those areas, and even being really early into it, I've found my body naturally goes into the positions I was forcing last year.  Almost like it's simply that my body is now able

I have a very similar issue and the coach i started working with provided a range of exercises. I have been doing side steps & "monster walks" with the elastic/ rubber bands around my ankles or lower legs and lying down side leg raises. Also have been doing some disassociation drills, can openers, 90* twisting box jumps, clam shells. I have seen more improvement in the past 6 months using these exercises then i did in the past 3 years combined. I can so much more easily get into my right side without a sway or any sort of forced movement.

#72 SomedayScratch

SomedayScratch

MN Golf Nut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 455894
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

I have always been in very good shape, but the last couple years towards the end of my college career and first year out of college I got a little bit out of shape, had an injury, and lost some athleticism. The last few months I have been getting back into a little bit of weight lifting: kettle bell swings, stiff legged deadlifts (light weight), shoulder press, rows, curls. Additionally, playing racquetball (great for agility), and doing lots of core and some stretching. Everything I do is tailored towards getting my lower back healed, after herniating a disk/disc in may.  

Any advice on gaining flexibility in hips, and legs would be great!

#73 Shades234

Shades234

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446016
  • Handicap:2.7
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

I did a yoga class before my bouldering session yesterday. My whole body is sore. lol
Titleist 917D3 8.75 - Accra Tour Z X465 M5
Titleist 917F2 14.25 - Paderson KG Fairway KG860-F40
TaylorMade 2017 M1 H 19 - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 95 Hybrid X
Miura CB-501 4-9 - Oban CT-115X
Vokey SM6 48F, 52F, 56S, 60S - Oban CT-115X
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

#74 northgolf

northgolf

Pork

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:57 PM

With an old friend, we each did four 25 oz curls of Sapporo which we topped with a sashimi appetizer, four seriously good rolls (TNT, Volcano, Lady Gaga, & Mango Dragon) then finished with an enormous omikasi plate of sashimi - we needed a lot of protein so the muscles could recover from the curls.

#75 PutterKilledTheDream

PutterKilledTheDream

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204131
GolfWRX Likes : 1376

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:02 PM

View Postnorthgolf, on 12 January 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

With an old friend, we each did four 25 oz curls of Sapporo which we topped with a sashimi appetizer, four seriously good rolls (TNT, Volcano, Lady Gaga, & Mango Dragon) then finished with an enormous omikasi plate of sashimi - we needed a lot of protein so the muscles could recover from the curls.
Yummy. 4 lg Sapporo’s without any Saki bomb dead lifts?Gotta have at least one bottle of a nice cold mixed in there.

Edited by PutterKilledTheDream, 12 January 2018 - 11:03 PM.

#76 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,971 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
GolfWRX Likes : 20542

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

I run about 50km a week (30 miles), i do pushups and chin-ups every day, deadlifts maybe twice a week, squats about the same aswell as bench press, on some days rowing machine
Ping G LS Tec 9 w/ Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Apex 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

Also tagged with Fitness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors