Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Travelling to SF


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 obomb3r

obomb3r

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66190
  • Joined: 09/22/2008
  • Location:London
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:17 AM

Hi All,

Wonder if anyone can help

Im travelling to San Francisco from London, England in February and wanted to get a game

Whats the best course that will accept visitors?

I called the Olympic club and they said i can get the pro at my course here in London to email them for a tee time??? Is this possible?

Any help much appreciated!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 3039

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

If you called the Olympic Club and they told you that, why wouldn't you believe them?  And why would you believe 5th hand, backwoods info from the Internet over them?

2

#3 wtoomey

wtoomey

    Member

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61683
  • Joined: 07/28/2008
  • Location:San Francisco
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:44 AM

Olympic Club Lake is the most famous, being a US Open course.

San Francisco Golf Club is the most exclusive.

California Golf Club is secretly one of the best.

All are private and you'd need your Pro to help you out.

3

#4 obomb3r

obomb3r

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66190
  • Joined: 09/22/2008
  • Location:London
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:45 AM

View Postgolfandfishing, on 26 January 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

If you called the Olympic Club and they told you that, why wouldn't you believe them?  And why would you believe 5th hand, backwoods info from the Internet over them?

Thanks for your wonderful reply

View Postwtoomey, on 26 January 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

Olympic Club Lake is the most famous, being a US Open course.

San Francisco Golf Club is the most exclusive.

California Golf Club is secretly one of the best.

All are private and you'd need your Pro to help you out.

Thank you much appreciated

4

#5 duffer987

duffer987

    Wears trousers.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Joined: 09/03/2012
  • Location:Canadian in Texas
  • Handicap:8.5
GolfWRX Likes : 4479

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

Have you pro call up Cal Club. It's just up the hill from SFO, so makes an arrival or departure round fairly easy.

I've not had the good fortune to get around all the SF privates to know, but many that have put it top of the list, since it's restoration a few years back.


5

#6 North Texas

North Texas

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
  • Joined: 02/18/2010
  • Location:North of Dallas
GolfWRX Likes : 1728

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

View Postduffer987, on 26 January 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

Have you pro call up Cal Club. It's just up the hill from SFO, so makes an arrival or departure round fairly easy.

I've not had the good fortune to get around all the SF privates to know, but many that have put it top of the list, since it's restoration a few years back.

Playing Pebble and Pasatiempo in October and would love to play Cal Club while we're in San Francisco!

Are you saying that they for sure will do some sort of reciprocal if our pro calls?

6

#7 duffer987

duffer987

    Wears trousers.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Joined: 09/03/2012
  • Location:Canadian in Texas
  • Handicap:8.5
GolfWRX Likes : 4479

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

View PostNorth Texas, on 26 January 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

View Postduffer987, on 26 January 2017 - 11:05 AM, said:

Have you pro call up Cal Club. It's just up the hill from SFO, so makes an arrival or departure round fairly easy.

I've not had the good fortune to get around all the SF privates to know, but many that have put it top of the list, since it's restoration a few years back.

Playing Pebble and Pasatiempo in October and would love to play Cal Club while we're in San Francisco!

Are you saying that they for sure will do some sort of reciprocal if our pro calls?

Not for sure, but if it's a club of reasonable repute :)
Seriously though, AFAIK they are not as 'exclusive' as some of the others in the area and are bit more of a new money club - sports people, tech/silicon valley millionaires and the like.

7

#8 justwellsy

justwellsy

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335199
  • Joined: 08/20/2014
  • Location:Orange County, CA
  • Handicap:TBD
GolfWRX Likes : 571

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:35 PM

IF you can somehow get on San Francisco Golf Club... forget about the rest! That course is so magnificent. Have your pro call and see which of those private courses he can get you on. Any are great but San Fran is the best!
Taylormade M2 9.5 set to 7.5 (Matrix Ozik 70 X-Stiff)
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5 Deg X-stiff (Aldila Rogue Green)
(Hybrid Out) Slot to be filled
Mizuno MP-64 4-5 (DG X-100)
Mizuno MP-4 6-PW (DG X-100)
Callaway MD2 50 deg
Vokey SM4 54 Deg
Callaway MD2 60 Deg
(Putter Out) Slot to be filled
Ball: Apply for position

I replaced the driver AND IRONS so now all the other clubs are nervous!

8

#9 knock it close

knock it close

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101876
  • Joined: 01/13/2010
  • Location:Calgary, Alberta
  • Handicap:+2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 5203

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

I know my pro got a guy on Olympic last year so it is doable.
M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

9

#10 Two_Putt

Two_Putt

    I don't often play golf, but when I do I prefer Ping

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 316443
  • Joined: 05/22/2014
  • Location:CA
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:TwoPutt18
GolfWRX Likes : 442

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

Being from London you probably don't care but it's been raining like crazy here in Northern California this Winter. Maybe February will be different but the 15 day forecast doesn't look promising.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 North Texas

North Texas

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
  • Joined: 02/18/2010
  • Location:North of Dallas
GolfWRX Likes : 1728

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

Yikes! This paints a less than glowing picture of Cal Club.

http://48hills.org/2...an-francisco/2/

11

#12 timmy8151

timmy8151

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95650
  • Joined: 10/01/2009
  • Location:San Francisco, CA
  • Handicap:15.2
GolfWRX Likes : 285

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

View Postwtoomey, on 26 January 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

Olympic Club Lake is the most famous, being a US Open course.

San Francisco Golf Club is the most exclusive.

California Golf Club is secretly one of the best.

All are private and you'd need your Pro to help you out.

Don't forget about a couple other privates:

Green Hills: Alister Mackenzie course located in the Millbrae/San bruno area.  

Lake Merced:  Not as difficult to get onto when compared to Cal Club or SFGC.

Of the list I would say Olympic may be the easiest to get onto due to the shear number of members.  SFGC is practically impossible.
Taylormade 2016 M2 Driver 10.5*
Srixon F45 15*
Cobra F7 5W-6W 19.5*
Titleist 816H1 22*
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 5-PW
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged GW
Cobra King Pur Wedge 54*
Callaway PM Grind Wedge 58*
Directed Force Reno 2.0

12

#13 Tremaine

Tremaine

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196664
  • Joined: 08/06/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:49 AM

An often overlooked club just outside of SF is Meadow Club in Fairfax, which your pro could probably get you on as well. Its a 30 minute drive outside of SF and a gorgeous Alister Mackenzie course. The course is actually the first he designed in the US (1927). Its much less "known" than the SF courses, but its halfway up Mt Tamalpais in Marin County and its gorgeous.

13

#14 acy274

acy274

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 432734
  • Joined: 07/15/2016
  • Location:California
GolfWRX Likes : 475

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:18 AM

View PostNorth Texas, on 27 January 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

Yikes! This paints a less than glowing picture of Cal Club.

http://48hills.org/2...an-francisco/2/

Weird, hadn't heard anything about that before. Steph Curry is a member there, and it doesn't seem like something he'd be associated with if it's really still that bad.

14

#15 jptruck

jptruck

    Tour Winner

  • Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227635
  • Joined: 02/07/2013
  • Location:Mid-Atlantic
GolfWRX Likes : 263

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:25 AM

View Postacy274, on 28 January 2017 - 02:18 AM, said:

View PostNorth Texas, on 27 January 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

Yikes! This paints a less than glowing picture of Cal Club.

http://48hills.org/2...an-francisco/2/

Weird, hadn't heard anything about that before. Steph Curry is a member there, and it doesn't seem like something he'd be associated with if it's really still that bad.

Trash article with an axe to grind


15

#16 knock it close

knock it close

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101876
  • Joined: 01/13/2010
  • Location:Calgary, Alberta
  • Handicap:+2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 5203

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:42 PM

View Postjptruck, on 28 January 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

View Postacy274, on 28 January 2017 - 02:18 AM, said:

View PostNorth Texas, on 27 January 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

Yikes! This paints a less than glowing picture of Cal Club.

http://48hills.org/2...an-francisco/2/

Weird, hadn't heard anything about that before. Steph Curry is a member there, and it doesn't seem like something he'd be associated with if it's really still that bad.

Trash article with an axe to grind
Yea pretty easy to tell judging by the source
M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

16

#17 karlkaspian

karlkaspian

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 408526
  • Joined: 01/12/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:11 AM

If you have a little bit of time, head out of SF to a place called Yoche Dehe. It is about an hour and a half away, open to the public and is probably the best course in the Bay Area (outside of all the snobby private courses). It also has a casino there if you want to stay the night for cheap.

It is also a little dryer than the SF courses.

Also, across the bay in Livermore. There is Poppy Ridge (owned by the same guys that own poppy hills) and Wente Vineyaards. Both great courses.

Edited by karlkaspian, 29 January 2017 - 01:12 AM.


17

#18 carrera

carrera

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
  • Joined: 04/21/2005
  • Location:SF Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:12 AM

Arrange to play Cal Club and Olympic.  Add Pasatiempo (as good or better than either of them) to your mix and you'll have a good mix.  SFGC is unlikely to accept a request to play.

Ignore that nonsensical "article " about Cal Club above.

Enjoy your trip!

18

#19 obomb3r

obomb3r

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66190
  • Joined: 09/22/2008
  • Location:London
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:20 AM

Hi again,

Travelling to SF again at the end of the month - Played Presidio last visit and enjoyed it,

Looking to play some place else this trip and have been thinking about TPC Harding but heard its not worth the $188

Also s i am only in town for 2 night would like to stay very local can anyone get onto Lake Merced? Someone above mentioned i should give it a go

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers!

19

#20 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
  • Joined: 10/09/2005
  • Location:SoCal
GolfWRX Likes : 843

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

Lake Merced is a private club.  Have your pro set it up with a call.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 carrera

carrera

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
  • Joined: 04/21/2005
  • Location:SF Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:44 PM

No way is Harding worth $188.  The unaccompanied guest fee at Lake Merced is probably high, and it isn't worth it...there is very little that is memorable about that course.  If I were in your shoes, I'd consider an Uber to Gleneagles to play 9 holes (once or twice).  A cheap course in an area that isn't on the tourist rota (crime in the area), but you'll have fun and it has a great bar.  Very casual place.

Or take Bart and an Uber to play Metropolitan next to the Oakland airport.

21

#22 DrOldSchool

DrOldSchool

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381708
  • Joined: 06/21/2015
  • Location:Noblesville, IN
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

View Postobomb3r, on 05 September 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

Hi again,

Travelling to SF again at the end of the month - Played Presidio last visit and enjoyed it,

Looking to play some place else this trip and have been thinking about TPC Harding but heard its not worth the $188

Also s i am only in town for 2 night would like to stay very local can anyone get onto Lake Merced? Someone above mentioned i should give it a go

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers!

Played Harding Park last week with a hot deal off golf now for $88. That's about the right price for the course. Watch out for surge pricing if you use uber to get there.

22

#23 dasams

dasams

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415690
  • Joined: 03/14/2016
  • Location:Was Bay Area, now full timing in an Airstream :)
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:54 PM

I've played SFGC, Olympic, Cal but my favorite is Harding.  Fabulous layout but not as well conditioned as the others.  The PGA will be there in 2020 :)

23

#24 coolcucumber_1

coolcucumber_1

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359027
  • Joined: 01/22/2015
  • Location:San Jose , CA
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:53 AM

I second the vote for Wente if you can make it out to Livermore.

Half moon bay might not be a bad choice if you just want to play something nice without worrying if you can get a tee time or not, if you want to venture a little further to san jose do Cinnabar.

24

#25 lefty88

lefty88

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240357
  • Joined: 03/23/2013
  • Location:San Francisco
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

Have a great trip! September is a great time of year to visit the bay area. As everyone has mentioned above, there are not many public courses inside of the city other than presidio/harding. On average harding and presidio are kept in similar conditions, with harding having slightly better greens.

If you would like to play somewhere close to the city, the southbay (cinnabar/half moon bay) has much warmer weather and isnt too far a drive (45min-1hr)


25



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors