Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Right hand position: Strong v weak v neutral

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 titaniummd

titaniummd

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21388
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:24 AM

First of all my left hand grip is strong and I use an overlap grip.

However, I was taking a lesson last week and my instructor commented on the position of my right hand. He said it was weak (my right thumb is about 10:00).
Becoming conscious about it, I started practicing with my palms 'facing each other' (so my right hand is more to the right - as opposed to on top of the club).
I do have to say that I am hearing the 'swoosh' of the club as it comes down with the 'new' hand position.

What is the effect of a strong versus neutral versus weak right hand?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 irishfight4it

irishfight4it

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30698
  • Ebay ID:friedfamtraders

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:33 AM

you do not want your palms facing eachother... unless that is how yuor hands lay naturally to your side... but for most people, their palms face slightly behinda them... with your palms facing eachother you inhibit your hand action through the ball (this is the idea for your palms facing during the putting stroke)... Therefore, check how your hand falls naturally and fit it on the club in that position

#3 bladestriker

bladestriker

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:54 AM

It has a great effect on your swing plane, the weaker it is the more likely the club will come over the plane prior to impact, you will have to wait and flip or suffer an open face slice. That hand placement also puts your right arm above your left at impact if you were looking down the line from behind. A weak ball flight is the by-product of it.

A good way to find your right arm placement is to grip the club with your left hand only and take it to the top,... at the top place your right hand on it so you are supporting it comfortably,..now return to address and more than likely it will be in a stronger position than what you have been doing. A good right arm/hand placement will help your ball striking a great deal.

Regards
Nike Vr Pro Ltd.II 8.5 Diamana WB 73x
Tour RBZ stage 2 13 RIP ∂80x
PING ISI BeNi ZZ-65 2-sw
PING Sedona

#4 mikpga

mikpga

Jammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:35 PM

Right Hand Position...

The more your right hand is in a strong position(turned to the right), the more your right hand/forearm will pronate at the bottom of your swing arc...The more your right hand/forearm pronate, the easier it is for the clubface to square or close at impact...

Experiment with some loose arm swings with your right hand only...

One with an extremely weak grip(turned way to the left) and the other will an extremey strong grip...

Make observations...

#5 shooter mcgavin1

shooter mcgavin1

LSU Tiger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47397

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:56 PM

View Postmikpga, on Feb 18 2008, 12:35 PM, said:

Right Hand Position...

The more your right hand is in a strong position(turned to the right), the more your right hand/forearm will pronate at the bottom of your swing arc...The more your right hand/forearm pronate, the easier it is for the clubface to square or close at impact...

One with an extremely weak grip(turned way to the left) and the other will an extremey strong grip...

Make observations...

well said

is there anything wrong with using a stronger grip if it feels more comfortable?  do you have any examples of players or pics of a strong but still proper grip?

#6 mikpga

mikpga

Jammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:39 PM

Azinger has a strong grip.  Due to his strong grip he has had to learn "to hold on to it" to hit it straight.

#7 Jim_0068

Jim_0068

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7055
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

View Postmikpga, on Feb 18 2008, 12:35 PM, said:

Right Hand Position...

Make observations...

Perfect explanation, great job mike.

Just would like to add that you will see a lot of people with strong left hand grips and weaker or "un-matching" right hand grips so that the face doesn't end up too closed at impact.

#8 LSeca

LSeca

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38135

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:10 PM

View Postshooter mcgavin1, on Feb 18 2008, 07:56 PM, said:

is there anything wrong with using a stronger grip if it feels more comfortable? do you have any examples of players or pics of a strong but still proper grip?

Years ago, I learned to play with a really strong grip.  At the time, I was instructed that it would help my slice (don't know if it is true or not).  I am so used to it that if I try a more neutral grip now, the club and my swing do not feel right.

Anyway, here is an example of John Daly's very strong grip.  If you look at his hands right before he starts the backswing, you see almost every left knuckle but also only his right index finger.  I don't know if it is "proper" but obviously he knows how to make it work.

#9 shooter mcgavin1

shooter mcgavin1

LSU Tiger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47397

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:24 PM

View PostLSeca, on Feb 19 2008, 04:10 PM, said:

View Postshooter mcgavin1, on Feb 18 2008, 07:56 PM, said:

is there anything wrong with using a stronger grip if it feels more comfortable? do you have any examples of players or pics of a strong but still proper grip?

Years ago, I learned to play with a really strong grip. At the time, I was instructed that it would help my slice (don't know if it is true or not). I am so used to it that if I try a more neutral grip now, the club and my swing do not feel right.

Anyway, here is an example of John Daly's very strong grip. If you look at his hands right before he starts the backswing, you see almost every left knuckle but also only his right index finger. I don't know if it is "proper" but obviously he knows how to make it work.

thanks for the response.  im not sure if my grip is quite that strong and i do feature a neutral left hand grip.  i like the feeling of a strong right hand grip as it helps me secure the club and close the clubface and hit *through* the ball.

i used the strong right hand grip again today, as recently i had been trying to use a neutral grip, with a slower more steady tempo and hit the ball very well.  my main shot pattern is a draw with a big draw/small hook being my major miss.

i guess ill stick with it as long as it continues to work.

what is your hc btw?  just wondering how good you can get using this grip, assuming you arent as talented as john daly

#10 stevestrike

stevestrike

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28481
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:28 PM

I found that a strong right hand inhibits my release, as I tend to "hang on"  and keep the face open.  Weakening my right hand--so that my thumb is more at 10-11:00 position allows me to square the clubface better.  I don't why this is, or what's wrong with me, but that's just been my experience.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors