Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

CB-57, AF-302, TC-770

Irons Cavity Back

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 benzenbe

benzenbe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 402790
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:58 PM

I'm going to be doing a full bag fitting with True Spec Golf in NY soon, either at their Golf & Body location or Trump Ferry Point Golf Course, and am specifically interested in being fit for better players' forged cavity back irons from one of the higher-end, JDM iron manufacturers.  Accordingly, I've limited my search to the brands available through True Spec--Miura, Epon, and Fourteen--and narrowed my preliminary options to the CB-57, AF-302, and **TC-770.  While I have fallen in love with the CB-57, I am a little worried that the change in ownership may, despite statements of reassurance from Hoyt McGarity (CEO of True Spec Golf and new Miura Golf President), affect the "Miura" qualify.  On the other hand, no matter how many favorable CB-57 threads I've read, each usually contains a few posts making the Epon comparison and how Endo forging is the "gold standard" for JDM irons.  Sadly, I haven't been able to find too much on Fourteen and the target player profile (Game Improvement, Better Player, etc.) for each of their currently available cavity back irons: TC-544, TF-616, TC,770, TC-606, TC-888, and TF-525.

Like I briefly mentioned, I've searched this and several other forums, but I haven't really seen this clubs compared against each other.  I was hoping that anyone who's considered, tried, or played any or all of these irons could speak to their performance, feel, and any other factors worth considering that speak to the the pros and cons of each club.  Feel like it's somewhat implied, but I'm prioritizing both dispersion and workability over distance.

Finally, regardless of which clubs I go with, I'll make sure to provide a comprehensive review of my True Spec Golf fitting since, inferring from the recent Miura sale threads, they appear to be lesser known and often confused with Tour Spec Golf.  I'll do my best to take notes throughout the process and give some context as to how and why True Spec recommended the clubs, shafts, and adjustments I end up with.

Thank you to everyone in advance and cheers to the 2017 golf season.

Edited by benzenbe, 14 January 2017 - 03:16 PM.

Custom Fit by True Spec Golf (NYC):
Callaway Epic Sub Zero (9.5*) with UST Elements Platinum
TM M2 3HL (16.5*) with Graphite Design Tour AD Fairway

TM M2 5W (18*) with Graphite Design Tour AD Fairway
Srixon Z765 (4-GW) with KBS C-Taper

Titleist Vokey SM6 (56* and 60*) with KBS 610

Off-the-Shelf:
Scotty Futura X5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 widow-maker

widow-maker

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309105
  • Handicap:2.7
  • Ebay ID:reiner53brown
GolfWRX Likes : 1413

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:02 PM

Try everything they've got.  Something will speak to you.  I wouldn't be worried about Miura quality in the least.  Maybe a few years down the road under new management that might change, but not right now.

#3 nitram

nitram

Take Dead Aim

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,670 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28973
  • Ebay ID:fmrtrp
GolfWRX Likes : 920

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:46 PM

If you were to purchase any Miura product within the next 3-4 months, you'll not see any change in quality because there won't be one.
M2 ('17 T.I.) 10.5* TP6HD X
M2 ('17 T.I.) 3WD Veylix Rome 888X
Sonartec Md-19* Veylix Rome 988X
Srixon 745 4-7/945 8-P KBS Tour V 120X
Miura 1957 51, 55, & 59 Nippon SP Blue
Bettinardi DASS 3.0 Tour Proto MiNOvai

#4 flopshot99

flopshot99

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 304529
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

Add the miura giken cb 1008 to mix

#5 dunn

dunn

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,387 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124833
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1162

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:59 AM

I am not huge Miura fan but I seriously doubt you'll have to worry about the quality of their products.......that should be least concerning factor

From what I hear the father and son will still be working there and even if their not I am sure they will maintain same stds.....process is still same and has been for yrs and yrs

Edited by dunn, 11 February 2017 - 01:01 AM.

#6 LivinTheDream

LivinTheDream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66084
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

Benzenbe,

Any update on the True Spec fitting?  I would love to hear how it went.

#7 autronicdsm

autronicdsm

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383994
  • Handicap:999
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:33 PM

I have TF-525 irons with Shimada Ks 8001. Haven't played too much with them but they are very soft feeling. Never hit Epon or Miura so take it for what it is. Lofts are lower (PW is 44*) but they launch high. I'd say they are meant for better players but with slower swing speed maybe? Head size is about the same as '14 Taylormade TP MC, but with a wider sole. When I bought these I was hoping they would replace my Cleveland 588MT but unfortunately they didn't. They are still pretty good clubs in my opinion and I'll be keeping them around. I'd say TC-770 should feel as good but target a better player than what TF-525 targets?

#8 Oldplayer

Oldplayer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117831
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 1211

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

In my experience fourteen irons are not in the same league as Epon and Miura. I bought a mint used set of the 770 heads and shafted and speced them for me but they just did not have the feel or performance. I still have some af301's  and 302's(which I would never get rid of)  and have had miura pp9003 as well as other miura offerings. I had the original 9003's but in the end they had too much offset but they were equal in feel and performance to the Epons. I have not played the 57's but I would certainly look at the pp9003 straight necks. They are a very good players cb with the look at set up, superb feel and great forgiveness.
I know this does not directly answer your question but is all I can offer. Good luck with your fitting.

#9 benzenbe

benzenbe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

View PostLivinTheDream, on 07 September 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

Benzenbe,

True Spec fitting was incredible, actually ordered all the clubs Friday so can't wait to give a follow up review on them in ~1 month.  Here's my True Spec review thread (http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry16077330), but short story I actually ended up with Srixon Z 765s with KBS C-Tapers (Stiff).  I actually had the opportunity to hit them against the Miura CB1008s and since they felt and performed essentially the same , I couldn't justify spending so much more just for a name.

Off-the-Shelf:
Scotty Futura X5

#10 Tzoid

Tzoid

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5124
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:twallermizman
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

View Postbenzenbe, on 10 September 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

View PostLivinTheDream, on 07 September 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

Benzenbe,

True Spec fitting was incredible, actually ordered all the clubs Friday so can't wait to give a follow up review on them in ~1 month.  Here's my True Spec review thread (http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry16077330), but short story I actually ended up with Srixon Z 765s with KBS C-Tapers (Stiff).  I actually had the opportunity to hit them against the Miura CB1008s and since they felt and performed essentially the same , I couldn't justify spending so much more just for a name.

I'm surprised the Miura and Srixon felt the same but this thread was very helpful.  How much does Tru Spec charge for a fitting and do they apply that cost to the sale price or is it in addition to the cost of the clubs?

Texan raised in Maryland
ONOFF Kuro 4-PW Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120S
Ping G Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 60
Ping Anser 3 & 5 Wood  G25 Hybrid
Scratch 50, 54 & 58 degree wedges
Scotty Cameron & Crown 33" Newport 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 benzenbe

benzenbe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

View PostTzoid, on 11 September 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

I'm surprised the Miura and Srixon felt the same but this thread was very helpful.  How much does Tru Spec charge for a fitting and do they apply that cost to the sale price or is it in addition to the cost of the clubs?
I mean, nobody doubts the quality of the true Miura forgings (i.e., the non-PP Genesis or CB 2008 2-piece clubs), but the Srixon Z 765 and Z 965 are Endo forged, will be of the same quality (Endo is best known for Epon, but is also behind the Bridgestone, Srixon, and Fourteen irons).

This is the True Spec NY pricing:
  • Full Bag w/ Putter = $450
  • Full Bag w/o Putter = $350
  • Woods = $200
  • Irons = $125
  • Putter Fitting = $150
The fitting fee isn't credited towards your purchase, but I believe True Spec provides a 30-day, satisfaction guaranteed warranty for the clubs recommended by the fitter (i.e., if the fitter recommends cavity backs, but you opt for blades = no warranty).  In addition, the fitter was very transparent about the costs of the heads and I wasn't required to buy anything or everything in one swoop (for example, I ordered my irons and wedges last week and will order the woods in a few weeks to avoid punishing my wallet).  I'm sure, if you want, you could ask for the fitting to be kept below a certain price point.

Off-the-Shelf:
Scotty Futura X5

#12 Tzoid

Tzoid

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5124
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:twallermizman
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

View Postbenzenbe, on 11 September 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

View PostTzoid, on 11 September 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

I mean, nobody doubts the quality of the true Miura forgings (i.e., the non-PP Genesis or CB 2008 2-piece clubs), but the Srixon Z 765 and Z 965 are Endo forged, will be of the same quality (Endo is best known for Epon, but is also behind the Bridgestone, Srixon, and Fourteen irons).

This is the True Spec NY pricing:
  • Full Bag w/ Putter = $450
  • Full Bag w/o Putter = $350
  • Woods = $200
  • Irons = $125
  • Putter Fitting = $150
The fitting fee isn't credited towards your purchase, but I believe True Spec provides a 30-day, satisfaction guaranteed warranty for the clubs recommended by the fitter (i.e., if the fitter recommends cavity backs, but you opt for blades = no warranty).  In addition, the fitter was very transparent about the costs of the heads and I wasn't required to buy anything or everything in one swoop (for example, I ordered my irons and wedges last week and will order the woods in a few weeks to avoid punishing my wallet).  I'm sure, if you want, you could ask for the fitting to be kept below a certain price point.

Great Information....   I own OnOff Kuro Irons - Forged by Endo and the "feel" is fantastic.....I prefer a buttery soft feel over Miura.

Enjoy your new sticks
Texan raised in Maryland
ONOFF Kuro 4-PW Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120S
Ping G Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 60
Ping Anser 3 & 5 Wood  G25 Hybrid
Scratch 50, 54 & 58 degree wedges
Scotty Cameron & Crown 33" Newport 2

#13 Fourteen14

Fourteen14

• Sponsors
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467676
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:45 PM

View Postautronicdsm, on 07 September 2017 - 01:33 PM, said:

I have TF-525 irons with Shimada Ks 8001. Haven't played too much with them but they are very soft feeling. Never hit Epon or Miura so take it for what it is. Lofts are lower (PW is 44*) but they launch high. I'd say they are meant for better players but with slower swing speed maybe? Head size is about the same as '14 Taylormade TP MC, but with a wider sole. When I bought these I was hoping they would replace my Cleveland 588MT but unfortunately they didn't. They are still pretty good clubs in my opinion and I'll be keeping them around. I'd say TC-770 should feel as good but target a better player than what TF-525 targets?

Yes, TC-770 are going to be a bit smaller from heel to toe and have thinner soles than your TF-525 irons. As far as feel goes, they should be very similar since they are made from the same material.

Also tagged with Irons, Cavity Back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors