Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Project X vs. Project X LZ


35 replies to this topic

#1 AThompson_3

AThompson_3

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395356
  • Joined: 09/09/2015
  • Location:Northern Kentucky
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 457

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

Recently came about some brand new Mizuno MP-25's. They have a poorly fit shaft in them, but I got them for a great deal and if I went and bought the new shafts at retail I would still be well under retail for a brand new set. But I'm going to send them back to Mizuno tomorrow and will save me a hundred bucks or so. Question is do I go project x or project x lz. 7 iron about 190. Fast transition. Not concerned with distance, just concerned with feel, spin, and dispersion. I've played DG X100 for about 5 years now and just want something new to play with and have narrowed it down to these too. To those who say just go get fit. I've been fit for irons in the past and usually fit into X100, but I just want to try something new. If it doesn't work I'll go back to X100 no problem. Thanks for the help!

Driver: Callaway Epic SZ 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15* Diamana D+ 70X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2 19* Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Black 9X
Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-P DGTI X100
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3.0 50MG TI X100, 55MG TI X100, 60MG KBS 610 S+
Putter(s): Odyssey O Works 7s Black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1
Bag: Sun Mountain Four-5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Techgolfer1

Techgolfer1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162287
  • Joined: 02/11/2012
  • Ebay ID:twoupgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

So I've been told by true temper that whatever flex you play in regular PX is what you play in LZ. I have been fit and played PX 6.0 well for years. It suits me best. The LZ is fantastic and I find what they've told me rings true. 6.0 LZ fits me fine. The LZ feels a little better to me but I've always liked the feel of the regular PX as well. Most say PX is harsh but I disagree. The LZ really feels great and I'd recommend that. They're both really good.

This chart is a great comparison of shafts. Basically a x100 shaft frequencies out right in between a Px6.5 soft stepped and and 6.5 straight in.

http://www.golfwrx.c...ed-shaft-chart/
I change too much to list it. Working on that...

2

#3 pearsonified

pearsonified

    Extreme enthusiast

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357207
  • Joined: 01/09/2015
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Handicap:1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 662

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

Quote

Most say PX is harsh but I disagree.

People say this because 9 out of 10 are playing a PX flex that is too stiff for them. A friend of mine who is a 2hcp just moved from 6.0 to 5.5, and he's never hit the ball better.

I have run into plenty of guys gaming 6.5s on the course, and not a single one of them has been a solid ball striker with those shafts.

The problem is that when Rory plays 7.0s, everyone else loses their ability to reason.

Edited by pearsonified, 04 January 2017 - 07:27 PM.

TM 2017 M2 10.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Blue TX
TM M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange X
Callaway Apex 20º •• Matrix Ozik Altus X
Adams MB2 4-G (22º-50.5º) •• Project X LZ 6.5
TM TP 54º/11º •• DG S400
Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60º •• DG S200
TM Spider Tour Black (35")

Current anti-handicap: 5.1

3

#4 AThompson_3

AThompson_3

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395356
  • Joined: 09/09/2015
  • Location:Northern Kentucky
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 457

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:27 PM

View PostTechgolfer1, on 04 January 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

So I've been told by true temper that whatever flex you play in regular PX is what you play in LZ. I have been fit and played PX 6.0 well for years. It suits me best. The LZ is fantastic and I find what they've told me rings true. 6.0 LZ fits me fine. The LZ feels a little better to me but I've always liked the feel of the regular PX as well. Most say PX is harsh but I disagree. The LZ really feels great and I'd recommend that. They're both really good.

This chart is a great comparison of shafts. Basically a x100 shaft frequencies out right in between a Px6.5 soft stepped and and 6.5 straight in.

http://www.golfwrx.c...ed-shaft-chart/
Thanks for the reply. I've always liked the PX feel too. What are the launch characterstics like with the LZ? I'm a sucker for feel, but the last thing I want is any doubt that I will have a ball balloon on me?
Driver: Callaway Epic SZ 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15* Diamana D+ 70X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2 19* Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Black 9X
Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-P DGTI X100
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3.0 50MG TI X100, 55MG TI X100, 60MG KBS 610 S+
Putter(s): Odyssey O Works 7s Black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1
Bag: Sun Mountain Four-5

4

#5 AThompson_3

AThompson_3

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395356
  • Joined: 09/09/2015
  • Location:Northern Kentucky
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 457

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

View Postpearsonified, on 04 January 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

Quote

Most say PX is harsh but I disagree.

People say this because 9 out of 10 are playing a PX flex that is too stiff for them. A friend of mine who is a 2hcp just moved from 6.0 to 5.5, and he's never hit the ball better.

I have run into plenty of guys gaming 6.5s on the course, and not a single one of them has been a solid ball striker with those shafts.
Ill agree with that. Most of the time the PX flexes are between typical flex levels. 6.5 is a little stiffer than normal X flexs, 6.0 is more stiff than an S but less stiff than X. 5.5 is closer to S than R in my experience but 5.5 is defineitly not a whippy shaft by any means.

Driver: Callaway Epic SZ 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15* Diamana D+ 70X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2 19* Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Black 9X
Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-P DGTI X100
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3.0 50MG TI X100, 55MG TI X100, 60MG KBS 610 S+
Putter(s): Odyssey O Works 7s Black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1
Bag: Sun Mountain Four-5

5

#6 pearsonified

pearsonified

    Extreme enthusiast

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357207
  • Joined: 01/09/2015
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Handicap:1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 662

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

Quote

I'm a sucker for feel, but the last thing I want is any doubt that I will have a ball balloon on me?

I've been worried about the same thing when moving away from DG X100, which just aren't giving me the feel I want.

The most common knock against my favorite alternative, the KBS Tour, is that they flight the ball too high and spin too much relative to the DGs.

But here's the thing—there's a difference between flighting the ball a bit higher (aka higher launch) and ballooning, which is what occurs when there is excessive spin.

Higher launch with a similar spin = slightly higher apex with a softer landing on the greens (and possibly a slightly greater average distance).

For me, the KBS Tours spin about 150-200rpm more than the DGs throughout the set. This results in a higher launch angle (about a degree on average), slightly greater distance on average, and absolutely zero ballooning.

Regarding your situation with the PX LZs, I think you will be fine. Ballooning will only occur if the flex is WAY too soft for you. The difference between the regular PX shafts and the LZs is not enough to create these undesirable launch conditions.
TM 2017 M2 10.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Blue TX
TM M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange X
Callaway Apex 20º •• Matrix Ozik Altus X
Adams MB2 4-G (22º-50.5º) •• Project X LZ 6.5
TM TP 54º/11º •• DG S400
Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60º •• DG S200
TM Spider Tour Black (35")

Current anti-handicap: 5.1

6

#7 AThompson_3

AThompson_3

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395356
  • Joined: 09/09/2015
  • Location:Northern Kentucky
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 457

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:29 PM

View Postpearsonified, on 04 January 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

Quote

I'm a sucker for feel, but the last thing I want is any doubt that I will have a ball balloon on me?

I've been worried about the same thing when moving away from DG X100, which just aren't giving me the feel I want.

The most common knock against my favorite alternative, the KBS Tour, is that they flight the ball too high and spin too much relative to the DGs.

But here's the thing—there's a difference between flighting the ball a bit higher (aka higher launch) and ballooning, which is what occurs when there is excessive spin.

Higher launch with a similar spin = slightly higher apex with a softer landing on the greens (and possibly a slightly greater average distance).

For me, the KBS Tours spin about 150-200rpm more than the DGs throughout the set. This results in a higher launch angle (about a degree on average), slightly greater distance on average, and absolutely zero ballooning.

Regarding your situation with the PX LZs, I think you will be fine. Ballooning will only occur if the flex is WAY too soft for you. The difference between the regular PX shafts and the LZs is not enough to create these undesirable launch conditions.
Thanks you just officially sold me on the LZ's.
Driver: Callaway Epic SZ 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15* Diamana D+ 70X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2 19* Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Black 9X
Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-P DGTI X100
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3.0 50MG TI X100, 55MG TI X100, 60MG KBS 610 S+
Putter(s): Odyssey O Works 7s Black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1
Bag: Sun Mountain Four-5

7

#8 therealjonzone

therealjonzone

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212011
  • Joined: 11/19/2012
  • Handicap:2.9
GolfWRX Likes : 630

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:07 PM

View Postpearsonified, on 04 January 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

Quote

Most say PX is harsh but I disagree.

People say this because 9 out of 10 are playing a PX flex that is too stiff for them. A friend of mine who is a 2hcp just moved from 6.0 to 5.5, and he's never hit the ball better.

I have run into plenty of guys gaming 6.5s on the course, and not a single one of them has been a solid ball striker with those shafts.

The problem is that when Rory plays 7.0s, everyone else loses their ability to reason.

Handicap is irrelevant based on flex designation.....

8

#9 tercoidegw

tercoidegw

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15042
  • Joined: 05/26/2006
  • Location:Corrientes, Argentina
  • Ebay ID:tercoide
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

View Postpearsonified, on 04 January 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

Quote

Most say PX is harsh but I disagree.


The problem is that when Rory plays 7.0s, everyone else loses their ability to reason.
that one of the best sentences in golf fitting advice ever
M1 8.5 Tour AD-BB6s
Stage2 14.5 Kailli 7S, Rescue 17 NVS 7S
  TM MB 12 R400 hs
   Nike 52 , 56, TT 60 S400
    Callaway DART 34"

9

#10 TollBros

TollBros

    Overseer of the Test Range

  • Sponsors
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438250
  • Joined: 08/25/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 1625

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

LZ has a noticably higher ball flight than standard PX. They will spin more than PX as well. It's not excessive but they will spin more. They also kick harder and feel more lively than PX. A guy like Adam Scott loves them because he doesn't generate a lot of spin. If you are a high spin player you want to move in the direction of the LZ.

http://www.golfwrx.c...evaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Invert99

Invert99

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147783
  • Joined: 11/21/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

Sounds like LZ 6.5 would be good. They felt better to me than the standard PX and I saw very small differences in launch and spin.

11

#12 pearsonified

pearsonified

    Extreme enthusiast

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357207
  • Joined: 01/09/2015
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Handicap:1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 662

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:24 PM

I'm a high ball hitter, and the LZs are the first shafts I've ever gamed that have truly made a dent in my average apex height. Bonus: these things just want to go straight!
TM 2017 M2 10.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Blue TX
TM M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange X
Callaway Apex 20º •• Matrix Ozik Altus X
Adams MB2 4-G (22º-50.5º) •• Project X LZ 6.5
TM TP 54º/11º •• DG S400
Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60º •• DG S200
TM Spider Tour Black (35")

Current anti-handicap: 5.1

12

#13 etotheo

etotheo

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 274419
  • Joined: 09/03/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:41 PM

View Postpearsonified, on 14 April 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

I'm a high ball hitter, and the LZs are the first shafts I've ever gamed that have truly made a dent in my average apex height. Bonus: these things just want to go straight!

I'm pumped as I've just ordered the LZ 6.5's soft stepped once with a new set z765's
Ping bag filled with Ping clubs...

13

#14 ryanandrew_golf

ryanandrew_golf

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181802
  • Joined: 05/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:26 AM

Similarly to you, I've played X100s successfully for several years and PX prior to that. I tried PX LZ on the range, and while it did feel great the performance was worse for me. Too high with too much spin. I also tended to leave more shots to the right.

14

#15 Nixhex524

Nixhex524

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305437
  • Joined: 04/03/2014
  • Location:L.B.
  • Handicap:4.8
  • Ebay ID:Nixhex524
GolfWRX Likes : 565

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

I play PX 5.5 flighted in my 745s and have a set of 716 AP2 with 6.0 LZ.  The LZ FEELS like a softer shaft to me but performs really well.  I do get a bit of a higher flight but nothing too drastic.  It almost looks like it wants to balloon but it seems to just get up and carry.  I also find them to be very accurate but the feel is what I love most.  I have considered trying them in my 745s but don't think I really want to pull everything apart for comparison sake just yet.  I do think it might be worth trying out a .5 flex more in the LZ... I find them to feel NOTHING like the PX in the same flex... have a set of regular 5.5 also and they feel more stout than the 6.0 LZ even if numbers say otherwise.

Cobra LTD Black Rogue Black 60x
Titleist 913 Fd 15* Speeder 757 TS
Titleist 913h 19* Proforce V2 86
Titleist 913h 21* Proforce V2 90
Titleist 695mb 4-P PX 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 52-12/58-12
Scotty Cameron Del Mar

15

#16 Carson33

Carson33

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99366
  • Joined: 11/29/2009
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:07 PM

Anyone have some updated insight on the shaft comparisons between the Project X and the LZ?
Taylormade Tour Issue M1 440- 9.5* - Aldila Rouge
Taylormade M2 - 15* - Tour AD-BB
Titleist 816 H2 Hybrids 19* & 21* - Aldila Rouge
Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW, DG Tour Issue X-100
Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50*, 56*, 60*, DG Tour Issue S-400
Taylormade TP Collection Soto

16

#17 GMR

GMR

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175756
  • Joined: 04/17/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:43 AM

View PostCarson33, on 29 July 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

Anyone have some updated insight on the shaft comparisons between the Project X and the LZ?
The LZ's have a much livelier feel and definitely play a bit softer to flex.  My fitter put me into a set of hard-stepped 6.5 LZs, which with a driver swing speed in the low-mid 110s would be absolutely unplayable in the PXs.  The LZs I have probably border on too stiff for me, but when I'm swinging well I still have no problem getting a good ball flight (it's just on my off days that it becomes an issue...).  I think for the same basic ballflight in the PXs I'd be looking at hard-stepped 6.0s or maybe soft-stepped 6.5s, but I'd imagine the feel of either of those combinations would be much boardier than my LZs.

Edited by GMR, 11 October 2017 - 06:44 AM.


17

#18 Boricua Golf

Boricua Golf

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137445
  • Joined: 08/23/2011
  • Location:Fredericksburg, VA
  • Handicap:3.3
  • Ebay ID:luisito11*11
GolfWRX Likes : 1181

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:03 AM

Funny, today I am dropping off my iBlades to get re-shafted with PX 6.5 straight in from Tour Issue X100s (which work fine), but I am so used to C-Taper 130x (I have those in my TA Prototypes), that at a fitting (with Ping, again) the 3 shafts that fit me best (again) are the CTs, X100 and PX 6.5, so I'll give the 6.5 a try since I've played the other two...on the monitor there was small improvement with them (I think I am maxed out in terms of overall performance), 7 iron 175-178 very consistent, 6900-7100 spin, either straight or a baby fade, so I am excited about the change...
Driver---------------Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Alta 55 X Flex, tipped 1", 44.5"
FW Wood----------Ping G 15*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
Hybrid---------------Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
Irons-----------------Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
Wedges-------------Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
Putter----------------Ping Oslo (Ping Nome TR as backup), 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0
Golf Ball-------------2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X

18

#19 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 703

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:13 AM

IMO the LZ is for a more smooth swing or somebody with a lower to middle tempo. If you're a hitter and attack the ball fairly aggressively, the LZ are likely going to feel whippy to you, even in 6.5. It's not so much whippy per se, but even I gamed LZ 6.0s carrying my 7i around 155, and I felt them kick. Somebody carrying a 7i 190 would almost definitely get a huge kick and you may not like that.
Driver: M2
3w: XR16
Hybrid(3): JPX-850
Hybrid(4): 816H1
Irons: Cobra Forged TEC 5-GW
SW: Cobra PUR
LW: Cobra PUR
Putter: O-works #1
Ball: '16 ProV1
Bag: Sun Mountain 2Five/Sun Mountain Sync
Shoe: Puma Biodrive

  

19

#20 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,581 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3639

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

I don't have an exact appples to apples comparison, but maybe it will helpful to someone.

I've played Project X 6.0 for many years. I've always liked the feel and they've always been the best performing shaft for me. However, this year the age thing as kind of snuck up on me (54). I noticed my iron distances were down about half a club, and the irons fell really heavy. A lot of work to swing.

Got to contemplating trying something lighter. Shop had a set of Mizuno JPX 900 forged with 5.5 LZs. Since putting them in the bag I've gained back all my distance (plus a little more, closer to that of four or five years ago). I realize the stronger lofts have played a role in that also. But it is really nice to feel the shaft kick again, and to see a consistent ball flight again. Just not have it feel like so much work. In hindsight, I'm sure I waited a year or two too long.

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 GMR

GMR

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175756
  • Joined: 04/17/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:27 PM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 11 October 2017 - 10:21 AM, said:

I don't have an exact appples to apples comparison, but maybe it will helpful to someone.

I've played Project X 6.0 for many years. I've always liked the feel and they've always been the best performing shaft for me. However, this year the age thing as kind of snuck up on me (54). I noticed my iron distances were down about half a club, and the irons fell really heavy. A lot of work to swing.

Got to contemplating trying something lighter. Shop had a set of Mizuno JPX 900 forged with 5.5 LZs. Since putting them in the bag I've gained back all my distance (plus a little more, closer to that of four or five years ago). I realize the stronger lofts have played a role in that also. But it is really nice to feel the shaft kick again, and to see a consistent ball flight again. Just not have it feel like so much work. In hindsight, I'm sure I waited a year or two too long.
PX 6.0s to LZ 5.5s is a big change in flex! Have you noticed any adverse impact on dispersion?

21

#22 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,581 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3639

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

View PostGMR, on 11 October 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 11 October 2017 - 10:21 AM, said:

I don't have an exact appples to apples comparison, but maybe it will helpful to someone.

I've played Project X 6.0 for many years. I've always liked the feel and they've always been the best performing shaft for me. However, this year the age thing as kind of snuck up on me (54). I noticed my iron distances were down about half a club, and the irons fell really heavy. A lot of work to swing.

Got to contemplating trying something lighter. Shop had a set of Mizuno JPX 900 forged with 5.5 LZs. Since putting them in the bag I've gained back all my distance (plus a little more, closer to that of four or five years ago). I realize the stronger lofts have played a role in that also. But it is really nice to feel the shaft kick again, and to see a consistent ball flight again. Just not have it feel like so much work. In hindsight, I'm sure I waited a year or two too long.
PX 6.0s to LZ 5.5s is a big change in flex! Have you noticed any adverse impact on dispersion?

Not really. What's really happened for me is it's brought back a pretty consistent right to left ball flight for me. Which I like, I just prefer to see the ball move that way.

Feel is so hard  to describe, but these just feel so much easier to swing. And like I said, it may be more of a fact that I may have been playing a shaft that may have been too heavy and possibly too stiff. I feel this one kicking through the ball. A feel I've been missing.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

22

#23 GMR

GMR

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175756
  • Joined: 04/17/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:52 PM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 11 October 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

View PostGMR, on 11 October 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 11 October 2017 - 10:21 AM, said:

I don't have an exact appples to apples comparison, but maybe it will helpful to someone.

I've played Project X 6.0 for many years. I've always liked the feel and they've always been the best performing shaft for me. However, this year the age thing as kind of snuck up on me (54). I noticed my iron distances were down about half a club, and the irons fell really heavy. A lot of work to swing.

Got to contemplating trying something lighter. Shop had a set of Mizuno JPX 900 forged with 5.5 LZs. Since putting them in the bag I've gained back all my distance (plus a little more, closer to that of four or five years ago). I realize the stronger lofts have played a role in that also. But it is really nice to feel the shaft kick again, and to see a consistent ball flight again. Just not have it feel like so much work. In hindsight, I'm sure I waited a year or two too long.
PX 6.0s to LZ 5.5s is a big change in flex! Have you noticed any adverse impact on dispersion?

Not really. What's really happened for me is it's brought back a pretty consistent right to left ball flight for me. Which I like, I just prefer to see the ball move that way.

Feel is so hard  to describe, but these just feel so much easier to swing. And like I said, it may be more of a fact that I may have been playing a shaft that may have been too heavy and possibly too stiff. I feel this one kicking through the ball. A feel I've been missing.
Yes I personally think the kick feeling that the LZs give is unbeatable. Even with shafts that border on too stiff, the shafts still feel smooth and powerful for me, which is really remarkable.

23

#24 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,581 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3639

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:06 AM

View PostGMR, on 11 October 2017 - 11:52 PM, said:

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 11 October 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

View PostGMR, on 11 October 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 11 October 2017 - 10:21 AM, said:

I don't have an exact appples to apples comparison, but maybe it will helpful to someone.

I've played Project X 6.0 for many years. I've always liked the feel and they've always been the best performing shaft for me. However, this year the age thing as kind of snuck up on me (54). I noticed my iron distances were down about half a club, and the irons fell really heavy. A lot of work to swing.

Got to contemplating trying something lighter. Shop had a set of Mizuno JPX 900 forged with 5.5 LZs. Since putting them in the bag I've gained back all my distance (plus a little more, closer to that of four or five years ago). I realize the stronger lofts have played a role in that also. But it is really nice to feel the shaft kick again, and to see a consistent ball flight again. Just not have it feel like so much work. In hindsight, I'm sure I waited a year or two too long.
PX 6.0s to LZ 5.5s is a big change in flex! Have you noticed any adverse impact on dispersion?

Not really. What's really happened for me is it's brought back a pretty consistent right to left ball flight for me. Which I like, I just prefer to see the ball move that way.

Feel is so hard  to describe, but these just feel so much easier to swing. And like I said, it may be more of a fact that I may have been playing a shaft that may have been too heavy and possibly too stiff. I feel this one kicking through the ball. A feel I've been missing.
Yes I personally think the kick feeling that the LZs give is unbeatable. Even with shafts that border on too stiff, the shafts still feel smooth and powerful for me, which is really remarkable.

That's probably the one thing I would liked to have been able to try, the LZs in the same 6.0 flex I had been playing.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

24

#25 craz-e

craz-e

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39596
  • Joined: 09/19/2007
  • Location:Cairns QLD, Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 470

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:45 AM

I never got on well with standard project x
Just came back from a fitting where I tested the LZ 6.0 in the Titleist cb's
Really impressed.
7 iron 92mph swing speed, launch angle of around 19-20 deg (maybe a tad high)
Backspin 6900
Carry distance 161 yards every time
Super consistent

Looks like I might have found something to finally kick the s300's out.
Also very impressed with Titleist CB!


25

#26 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,581 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3639

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

View Postcraz-e, on 12 October 2017 - 06:45 AM, said:

I never got on well with standard project x
Just came back from a fitting where I tested the LZ 6.0 in the Titleist cb's
Really impressed.
7 iron 92mph swing speed, launch angle of around 19-20 deg (maybe a tad high)
Backspin 6900
Carry distance 161 yards every time
Super consistent

Looks like I might have found something to finally kick the s300's out.
Also very impressed with Titleist CB!

I'm not real well versed on the distance  charts craz-e, but it seems like a 92 mph 7 iron should be giving more carry than that.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

26

#27 GMR

GMR

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175756
  • Joined: 04/17/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 12 October 2017 - 08:20 AM, said:

View Postcraz-e, on 12 October 2017 - 06:45 AM, said:

I never got on well with standard project x
Just came back from a fitting where I tested the LZ 6.0 in the Titleist cb's
Really impressed.
7 iron 92mph swing speed, launch angle of around 19-20 deg (maybe a tad high)
Backspin 6900
Carry distance 161 yards every time
Super consistent

Looks like I might have found something to finally kick the s300's out.
Also very impressed with Titleist CB!

I'm not real well versed on the distance  charts craz-e, but it seems like a 92 mph 7 iron should be giving more carry than that.
That was my first thought as well. Also realise swing speed isn't the be all end all of fitting, but I'd personally think a straight-in 6.0 LZ (or an S300) would be a bit soft for that kind of swing speed.

27

#28 craz-e

craz-e

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39596
  • Joined: 09/19/2007
  • Location:Cairns QLD, Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 470

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

I have always been a high spin high launch player.
The 20 deg launch angle is high for a 7 iron, tempted to tweak lofts to lower launch!

28

#29 Golfjack

Golfjack

    That draw keeps creeping back

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 239545
  • Joined: 03/19/2013
  • Ebay ID:Conft
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

Went from X100 to PX LZ 6.5 and it's just more forgiving. X100 will take anything I threw at it, but the PX's become a better controlled club once I find the loading zone.  High~way to the loading zone!! dun dun dun dun dun dun
Aeroburner TP 10.5
3W (15) Aeroburner TP
3H (19), 4H (22) Aeroburner TP
Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100
Gauge Design 54, 58 wedges
Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5

Alternate set:
Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, Honma HP 1002, Odyssey Arm Lock Putter

29

#30 eazyian

eazyian

    Newbie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413778
  • Joined: 02/28/2016
  • Location:Washington
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:07 AM

Headin' into twilight, spreadin' out her wings tonight!

Love it. I've been wanting to give a softer shaft a try and it sounds like the LZ is the one I'm looking for.

2017 M1
Adams Tight Lies II 16* 3 wood
Adams Tight Lies II 19* 5 wood
Titleist 913 21* hybrid
Adams Tight Lies II 25* hybrid
Ping G30 30* hybrid
6-GW Titleist 714 AP2 (i95 Steelfiber Stiff flex)
Vega 56* Wedge
T.P. Mills Softtail

EazyIan

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors