Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 11 votes

SuperSpeed Golf training system


1487 replies to this topic

#1471 flushem

flushem

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39708
  • Joined: 09/21/2007
  • Location:SoCal
  • Handicap:14.2
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:53 PM

View PostPorscheFan, on 09 July 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

I'm starting to get loner off the tee now.  I'm not noticing any loss of accuracy overall.

Typically I have good days with the driver and bad days with the driver.  If anything my bad days with the driver have reduced since beginning SSG.

Interestingly Steve Buzza (remember him from the Crossfield VLOGS?) did a study on driving with the specific intent of driving accurately vs. the specific intent of driving for a little more distance.  The study group hit three types of drives: Normal (baseline), distance, and accuracy.  Typically, when asked to hit it out there a little farther, most could.  When asked to hit it more accurately, however, most couldn't.  Instead they just hit it lower and shorter than their control drives.

What I selfishly took from that was 'swing with control, but for goodness sake, don't swing slow'.

I think the study was outlined on a Golf Science Lab podcast.  My apologies to Steve Buzza for butchering his study.

IMHO striving to hit it long and straight is a worthy goal.  For me, SSG is proving to be a key part of that puzzle.

Per Top Speed, you must twist as much as possible regardless of swing speed.  In such case, you think you swing slow but actually you swing smoothly.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#1472 Krt22

Krt22

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261822
  • Joined: 07/05/2013
  • Location:East Bay
GolfWRX Likes : 2248

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

Indeed, perceived effort and actual speed are two different things.

2

#1473 clevited

clevited

    Don't think you are, know you are.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484290
  • Joined: 10/13/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 289

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

Yeah, the fastest swings seldom look violent, they look slow, sound fast, look effortless.  The less your swing looks like that, the more inefficient it is imo.
Posted Image

3

#1474 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:41 PM

Yep, I've never had a more strain-free swing.  Not just the driver, but every club.  I no longer feel like I've been in a wrestling match after a range session.

4

#1475 EdEd

EdEd

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117848
  • Joined: 11/21/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:31 PM

I'm so interested looking at all the posts but am hesitant to fork out $200 for the sticks. I see some of you guys build them yourself but I am not handyman. Is anyone willing to build a set and ship it to Canada? I'm willing to pay cost + a reasonable labour as long as the total is reasonably lower than the SSG price.


5

#1476 jamie

jamie

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2963
  • Joined: 07/17/2005
  • Location:Washington
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 313

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:42 PM

Itís really strange...my highest peak hasnít changed. My first session I hit 136 but the other swings were mid 120ís.  The big difference is the opposite side swings. I was at 100-105 first session.  Iím in the upper 120ís now.  

Iím using it probably 2 times a week for the last couple months and with green Iím 127-136 everytime.  

My driver has went from a normal swing 115 to 118 but I can get it up to 123-124.  Iíve gained clubhead speed using the superspeed but Iím not really increasing my speed during the sessions which is weird.  Maybe increasing my non dominate side is what has done it for me?!
PING G400 9* Tour 65 X - PING G Stretch 13* Tour 80 X - PING G400 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I200 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING Cadence Ketsch TR CB 35"

6

#1477 VanSwagger83

VanSwagger83

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435268
  • Joined: 08/03/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:50 AM

It's been strange for me, I've been using them for a few weeks (actually past few weeks haven't really used them as consistently) but I've been struggling a bit, I'm not hitting/striking the ball nearly as well, and I'm hitting a lot of slices (actually push fades/slices, and I'm used to hitting a very consistent straight pull), I'm sure it's just a few little tweaks in the swing while my swing is adjusting to different speeds, and I'm going to stick with it a while longer, and see what happens, because with reading this thread and posts on social media about SSG it seems like my case is the anomaly.

7

#1478 airjammer

airjammer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28903
  • Joined: 05/13/2007
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 196

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:12 AM

You are not the anomaly..I wager most peopleís swings get worse using superspeed over the long run.  Itís way too easy to make swing speed by pulling the shoulders open and early extending.

8

#1479 flushem

flushem

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39708
  • Joined: 09/21/2007
  • Location:SoCal
  • Handicap:14.2
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

View Postairjammer, on 11 July 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

You are not the anomaly..I wager most people's swings get worse using superspeed over the long run.  It's way too easy to make swing speed by pulling the shoulders open and early extending.

You should try it for yourself to see if it works or not.

Also, I wonder why pros use it.  Especially, Kevin Na, the winner at the Greenbrier.

Edited by flushem, 11 July 2018 - 04:53 PM.


9

#1480 FourTops

FourTops

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500886
  • Joined: 05/04/2018
  • Location:FL
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:11 PM

View Postflushem, on 11 July 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

View Postairjammer, on 11 July 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

You are not the anomaly..I wager most people's swings get worse using superspeed over the long run.  It's way too easy to make swing speed by pulling the shoulders open and early extending.

You should try it for yourself to see if it works or not.

Also, I wonder why pros use it.  Especially, Kevin Na, the winner at the Greenbrier.

True....but how many rabbit holes have folks gone down because some pro uses something?  Pro's have trainers / coaches...they live golf...they're not in a basement or garage relying upon these for weekend golf.  They may be getting paid to say they use them.  They may actually use them but as only a small part of their overall regimen.  They may use them for rhythm, not trying to swing as fast as possible.

My point is who knows....and I agree, try it out and see if it works, but keep in mind the pitfalls of focusing on speed when the majority of the scoring golf shots are about precision and accuracy, not so much distance.

Edited by FourTops, 11 July 2018 - 09:12 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#1481 clevited

clevited

    Don't think you are, know you are.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484290
  • Joined: 10/13/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 289

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:32 AM

View PostFourTops, on 11 July 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

View Postflushem, on 11 July 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

View Postairjammer, on 11 July 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

You are not the anomaly..I wager most people's swings get worse using superspeed over the long run.  It's way too easy to make swing speed by pulling the shoulders open and early extending.

You should try it for yourself to see if it works or not.

Also, I wonder why pros use it.  Especially, Kevin Na, the winner at the Greenbrier.

True....but how many rabbit holes have folks gone down because some pro uses something?  Pro's have trainers / coaches...they live golf...they're not in a basement or garage relying upon these for weekend golf.  They may be getting paid to say they use them.  They may actually use them but as only a small part of their overall regimen.  They may use them for rhythm, not trying to swing as fast as possible.

My point is who knows....and I agree, try it out and see if it works, but keep in mind the pitfalls of focusing on speed when the majority of the scoring golf shots are about precision and accuracy, not so much distance.

You seem to think that people who use these are only focused on speed.  Speed is one aspect of the game that a lot of people want to improve.  Perhaps the rest of their games are solid?  Or they are working on other things simultaneously.  I myself ALWAYS work on speed because it is the quickest thing to lose if you don't maintain it.  I also practice my 50 yard wedge, 75 yard wedge, and 100 yard wedge each time I go to the range.  I don't practice chipping and putting much because currently those are my strengths.  I practice hitting cuts so I can get rid of my tendency for hooks and pushes.  I am getting faster and better all around.  I am also actively trying to eliminate EE that plagues me.

Pro's using it just reinforces that it might be helpful.  I personally didn't build my club because I saw a pro use it, I built mine to specifically exercise with int he winter, but now I use it just to get accurate measurements of improvement since I am able to hit the range up during the summer.  I think a lot of people on here adopted it because rumor had it, it got results and rather quickly.  I think for most it does.

I personally feel though you don't have to buy them at all to gain speed.  If you already go to the range, just finish each session by wailing on some balls full speed with your driver.  Practice swinging fast.  It is the only way you learn how to A) Do it B) Control it.  Shoot, I think this idea is even supported by Monte Scheinblum.  I don't think he really likes the swinging at nothing with these sticks because their is potential for it to alter your swing in a bad way, but he does like the practice swinging fast by doing so at the range regularly.  

If you ever feel like you need some extra speed in your game, or just want some, I am living proof that the above works.  I have posted on here before but I have legitimately gone from 105-125 with my swing speed just by going to the range and wailing on golf balls.  I also hit normal shots and go through a routine before I go a wailin, but I have been doing it and while I am still working kinks out of my swing to be more consistent, I gained a ton of speed.  I can dial it back and still hit it longer than most and hit middle of the club (still goes left though LOL, working on it).

Edited by clevited, 12 July 2018 - 07:47 AM.

Posted Image

11

#1482 clevited

clevited

    Don't think you are, know you are.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484290
  • Joined: 10/13/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 289

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:45 AM

View PostVanSwagger83, on 11 July 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

It's been strange for me, I've been using them for a few weeks (actually past few weeks haven't really used them as consistently) but I've been struggling a bit, I'm not hitting/striking the ball nearly as well, and I'm hitting a lot of slices (actually push fades/slices, and I'm used to hitting a very consistent straight pull), I'm sure it's just a few little tweaks in the swing while my swing is adjusting to different speeds, and I'm going to stick with it a while longer, and see what happens, because with reading this thread and posts on social media about SSG it seems like my case is the anomaly.

I suggest if you are swinging in a bay, or your garage, to swing at something.  Swing at a foam ball on a rubber tee for instance.  This can help you still, and if you can hit that ball straight, with those sticks, you should in theory, see improved ball striking with the driver.  Swinging all out makes your flaws in timing or flipping habits, or early extension etc, even worse and more noticeable.  If you are slicing it, you have what I am guessing is timing issues.  That comes with practice.  I feel you are best served EXERCISING with the sticks as recommended, and then following it up with hitting range balls.  You should be able to swing what feels your normal speed but see gains and still have your control.  It is just teaching your muscles to fire faster, it won't teach technique for good ball striking when you are swinging all out.  You would have to have perfect mechanics to do that, and also the practice with the timing to do that.   When I go after one I often push slice or pull hook.  When I get my timing right, I get a beautiful super high draw and I can do it confidently until I lose my timing mojo (stupid EE).  It takes a lot of practice.
Posted Image

12

#1483 airjammer

airjammer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28903
  • Joined: 05/13/2007
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 196

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:00 AM

View Postflushem, on 11 July 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

View Postairjammer, on 11 July 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

You are not the anomaly..I wager most people's swings get worse using superspeed over the long run.  It's way too easy to make swing speed by pulling the shoulders open and early extending.

You should try it for yourself to see if it works or not.

Also, I wonder why pros use it.  Especially, Kevin Na, the winner at the Greenbrier.

I have them.  I used them for a while but it was too easy to create speed the wrong way.

Hell, I got blasted by Dliver by saying the same thing a while back and he absolutely refuted it by say he never hit the ball better then guess what not long after he chimes in that he quit because bad habits started creeping in..lol

If I had 8 hours a day to work on my game I donít think it would bother my swing because I could calibrate my swing after the training . But realistically most Ams are like me and the only swings they may get on ďtrainingĒ days are those superspeed swings.

13

#1484 bbp1

bbp1

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4251
  • Joined: 08/03/2005
  • Location:New Orleans
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

i have them but have just evolved into using the heavy stick as a warm up tool i keep in my bag. Feels to me like my swing fan does a better job of building strength without letting me lapse into bad habits.
Driver-Taylormade M3 10.5-1
3-5 Woods-Taylormade M3
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20degree
Irons 4-9- Taylormade P790
Wedges 46,52,60 Vokey SM-7
Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport 3
HCP 2.9

14

#1485 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:24 AM

View Postclevited, on 12 July 2018 - 07:32 AM, said:

You seem to think that people who use these are only focused on speed.  Speed is one aspect of the game that a lot of people want to improve.  Perhaps the rest of their games are solid?  Or they are working on other things simultaneously.  I myself ALWAYS work on speed because it is the quickest thing to lose if you don't maintain it.  I also practice my 50 yard wedge, 75 yard wedge, and 100 yard wedge each time I go to the range...

If I could like this post twice, I would.


15

#1486 Ray Jackson

Ray Jackson

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69784
  • Joined: 11/25/2008
  • Location:Bay Area
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:3471ray
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:09 PM

View Postclevited, on 09 July 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

Yeah, the fastest swings seldom look violent, they look slow, sound fast, look effortless.  The less your swing looks like that, the more inefficient it is imo.

Swung repeatedly at 119 with the green to end the session today and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it to 120. Diminishing returns as I tried harder

16

#1487 clevited

clevited

    Don't think you are, know you are.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484290
  • Joined: 10/13/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 289

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:23 AM

View PostRay Jackson, on 12 July 2018 - 10:09 PM, said:

View Postclevited, on 09 July 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

Yeah, the fastest swings seldom look violent, they look slow, sound fast, look effortless.  The less your swing looks like that, the more inefficient it is imo.

Swung repeatedly at 119 with the green to end the session today and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it to 120. Diminishing returns as I tried harder

I am a firm believer in swinging faster not harder.  What I mean is, finding the proper muscles to energize at the proper times and keeping your swing sequence.  You can give it 100% effort but still look effortless and be a lot faster if you are doing it right.  In my experience, swinging "hard" often means early release.  You might have actually swung faster, but your speed peaked well before the ball and you often had to do something to still hit the ball somewhat squarely making your swing not look effortless, but full of wasted motion.  Just from what I have measured in my own swing, I can leave 5-10 mph on the table when I do this.  Speed drops off really fast after you release it seems.
Posted Image

17

#1488 trumb1mj1

trumb1mj1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184080
  • Joined: 06/01/2012
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 253

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:24 AM

View Postclevited, on 13 July 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

Speed drops off really fast after you release it seems.

Agreed. My fastest swings (and best contact) is when I feel like I don't set my wrists at all which sort of quiets down my hands. I definitely still set my wrists (end even have a little sergio down c0ck) but the feel is, "dead hands on the way back".
TM '16 M2 10.5*  ---------------   Diamana Blueboard 63g
TM '16 M1 15* --------------------   Diamana Blueboard 83g
TM RBZ 19* -----------------------  Diamana Blueboard 83g
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 4i ----------------   Modus3 Tour 120S
Srixon 565 5i   -------------------   Modus3 Tour 120S
Srixon 765 6-PW  --------------- Modus3 Tour 120S
RTX 2.0 50, 54, 60* 2 dot   ------  Modus3 Tour 120S
Bettinardi Studio #28

18



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors