Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 6 votes

Callaway GBB Epic and Epic Sub Zero: Drivers and Fairways


1954 replies to this topic

#1891 tommaso05

tommaso05

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240181
  • Joined: 03/22/2013
  • Location:Columbus, Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

Had the best driving (9 hole) round in recent memory last night (league night) with my Epic SZ. Only hit the driver 4 times, but I mashed all of them. The first was a measured 318 yards 5 yard draw right to 145 yards out on a par 5 (slightly downwind). The next 2 were "don't pull it left" swings which I hit dead straight but not quite as far as my 1st drive, and the last 1 I smacked but pulled it a bit into a perfect spot in between the hole I was playing and the hole it paralleled. I actually took all of the trouble out of play by pulling it a little.

Last week I lofted up from my normal 9' to 10' and combined with my big swing change/fix, really meshed things perfectly. Bumping up to 10' definitely helps soften my draw.

I've got this paired with a Tensei CK Pro Orange TX 60, and it's the best driver/shaft combo I've ever used.

One of these days I'll rent some Trackman time and figure out my #'s and whatnot.

Callaway GBB Epic SZ 9' - Tensei CK Pro Orange v3 60 TX
Taylormade M1 3W 15' - Aldila Rogue Silver 70 2.8 X
King Cobra F6 3/4H 20.5' - Aldila Tour Blue 85H 2.3 X
Ping i(e1) 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04L - Project X 6.0
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 7 Counter-Weight

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#1892 Night train

Night train

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7139
  • Joined: 10/26/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 1170

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

Attention old guys with subsonic swing speeds...........the Epic works for us too (although posting how far your drives go could produce laughter)

.......great driver

2

#1893 chocolate_rehab

chocolate_rehab

    look good, play good

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381886
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:Boston --> LA
GolfWRX Likes : 484

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:40 PM

Apologies if it's been answered, 64 pages is a little daunting and the search function failed me: what size weight should I order from Billy Bob's to add to my current stock config to compensate for trimming an inch?

I'd like to keep it in the D2/D3 area. Thanks!
Callaway BB Epic HT 13.5*
Ping G SF Tec 16.5*
Ping G 4H & 5H
Ping G 6-UW with Recoil 760 ES
Callaway MD3 54* & PM Grind 58*
32" Edel Columbia

3

#1894 scottc25

scottc25

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399396
  • Joined: 10/13/2015
  • Location:TPA
  • Handicap:6.0
GolfWRX Likes : 175

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:37 PM

I'm gonna add my GolfWRX swing results. 550y par 5 14th at Innisbrook Copperhead yesterday. Pounded a drive with my SZ and had 252y left. Hit 3-wood SZ pin high.

/brag

4

#1895 Big Ben

Big Ben

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,061 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
  • Joined: 04/21/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, Ohio
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 657

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:59 PM

Absolutely no comparison for me the standard Epic is 10x more consistent than the SZ...BB

Edited by Big Ben, 04 August 2017 - 05:59 PM.

Irons: Ping iBades
Drivers: Pink Ping G
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 850
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge WRX
Putter: STX Xform 2
Balls: Snell MTB

5

#1896 xjohnx

xjohnx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75904
  • Joined: 02/23/2009
  • Location:NH
  • Ebay ID:xedgep90x
GolfWRX Likes : 519

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:00 PM

View Postscottc25, on 04 August 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

I'm gonna add my GolfWRX swing results. 550y par 5 14th at Innisbrook Copperhead yesterday. Pounded a drive with my SZ and had 252y left. Hit 3-wood SZ pin high.

/brag

You gotta at least tell us that the tees were back or the pin was way back so you hit it 300+. You know that 298 just won't cut it around here.

6

#1897 lawsonman

lawsonman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Joined: 03/29/2012
  • Location:Freeport, Illinois
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 2386

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:10 PM

Played with a buddy of mine last week that blew it by me by 50 - 80 yards on every hole. I complimented him on his powerful drives. Then I took 18 bucks from him after I beat his a$$ like a drum. :)
I have a excellent short game. It's unfortunate that it starts on the Tee.

Callaway Epic/ Stiff Hzrdus
Taylormade RBZ 19 Hybrid
Titleist 910H 22* Hybrid
Callaway 2007 X-Forged 4-PW
Odyssey O Works 3T
Ping Glide 54, 58
Snell MTB Ball

7

#1898 scottc25

scottc25

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399396
  • Joined: 10/13/2015
  • Location:TPA
  • Handicap:6.0
GolfWRX Likes : 175

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:11 PM

View Postxjohnx, on 04 August 2017 - 06:00 PM, said:

View Postscottc25, on 04 August 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

I'm gonna add my GolfWRX swing results. 550y par 5 14th at Innisbrook Copperhead yesterday. Pounded a drive with my SZ and had 252y left. Hit 3-wood SZ pin high.

/brag

You gotta at least tell us that the tees were back or the pin was way back so you hit it 300+. You know that 298 just won't cut it around here.

I know, I know, at least the 252y 3-wood made up for it :)

8

#1899 xjohnx

xjohnx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75904
  • Joined: 02/23/2009
  • Location:NH
  • Ebay ID:xedgep90x
GolfWRX Likes : 519

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

View Postscottc25, on 04 August 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

View Postxjohnx, on 04 August 2017 - 06:00 PM, said:

View Postscottc25, on 04 August 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

I'm gonna add my GolfWRX swing results. 550y par 5 14th at Innisbrook Copperhead yesterday. Pounded a drive with my SZ and had 252y left. Hit 3-wood SZ pin high.

/brag

You gotta at least tell us that the tees were back or the pin was way back so you hit it 300+. You know that 298 just won't cut it around here.

I know, I know, at least the 252y 3-wood made up for it :)

No doubt. The SZ 3 wood is a cannon. My favorite club in years.

9

#1900 VPSax

VPSax

    Newbie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 386484
  • Joined: 07/17/2015
  • Location:Northern NJ
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:39 PM

Just picked up a SZ from the PGA superstore preowned bin.  Great condition, $350 with tax.  Super psyched!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#1901 Shayan1121

Shayan1121

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240513
  • Joined: 03/24/2013
  • Location:PA
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

I HATE THIS CLUB!!!

Does anybody else find it extremely annoying to hit a ball then have to wait 15 minutes watching your 3 playing partners hit their approaches then driving up the fairway to your ball and playing in. It's like I have to wait forever between shots. I'd take my Epic 3 wood off the tee so I can lay back with them, but that isn't even a guarantee anymore. That thing is an absolute bomb too!!

:rofl:
Link: http://www.golfwrx.c...72-juices-witb/
Callaway Epic SZ 10.5* w/ AD GP 5 S
Epic SZ 15* w/ Speeder Tour VC 7.1 S
Callaway Epic 19* Hybrid w/ Speeder 865 S
Srixon U65 23* w/ Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z545 LE Black 6-SW w/ Steelfiber i110 S Hardstepped
Mack Daddy PM 58* w/ Steelfiber i125 S
Scotty Cameron Prototype Newport 2 Beach CS

11

#1902 gs1184

gs1184

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 322101
  • Joined: 06/19/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:33 PM

View PostShayan1121, on 06 August 2017 - 01:52 PM, said:

I HATE THIS CLUB!!!

Does anybody else find it extremely annoying to hit a ball then have to wait 15 minutes watching your 3 playing partners hit their approaches then driving up the fairway to your ball and playing in. It's like I have to wait forever between shots. I'd take my Epic 3 wood off the tee so I can lay back with them, but that isn't even a guarantee anymore. That thing is an absolute bomb too!!

:rofl:

Aint that a b****. :D

Edited by gs1184, 06 August 2017 - 10:33 PM.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero - Fujikura Rombax 6z08 stiff
Ping G-5 16* hybrid - Graffaly prolaunch Blue HY  X-stiff
Mizuno MP 68 3 iron
Callaway 2013 X-forged 4-PW - ProjectX 5.5
Callaway Jaws 52*
Callaway MD3 S-grind 56*, 60*
Odyssey Black Series 2 putter
TaylorMade Tour Preferred X, Titleist ProV1x

12

#1903 lawsonman

lawsonman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Joined: 03/29/2012
  • Location:Freeport, Illinois
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 2386

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:01 AM

My league partner and I have always been pretty close off the tee until I got the Epic. He hasn't been within 15 yards of me since.
I have a excellent short game. It's unfortunate that it starts on the Tee.

Callaway Epic/ Stiff Hzrdus
Taylormade RBZ 19 Hybrid
Titleist 910H 22* Hybrid
Callaway 2007 X-Forged 4-PW
Odyssey O Works 3T
Ping Glide 54, 58
Snell MTB Ball

13

#1904 Night train

Night train

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7139
  • Joined: 10/26/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 1170

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

These woods offer a step forward in performance that hasn't been seen since the GBB titanium. Other clubs may match them on excellent center strikes but combine the performance with the forgiveness and it's an impressive product line.

Edited by Night train, 07 August 2017 - 06:06 PM.


14

#1905 lawsonman

lawsonman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Joined: 03/29/2012
  • Location:Freeport, Illinois
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 2386

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:37 PM

View PostNight train, on 07 August 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

These woods offer a step forward in performance that hasn't been seen since the GBB titanium. Other clubs may match them on excellent center strikes but combine the performance with the forgiveness and it's an impressive product line.

Guess my next purchase will have to be a 4 wood. :)

I have a excellent short game. It's unfortunate that it starts on the Tee.

Callaway Epic/ Stiff Hzrdus
Taylormade RBZ 19 Hybrid
Titleist 910H 22* Hybrid
Callaway 2007 X-Forged 4-PW
Odyssey O Works 3T
Ping Glide 54, 58
Snell MTB Ball

15

#1906 arbitrage

arbitrage

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26756
  • Joined: 03/16/2007
  • Location:Norwalk, CT
  • Ebay ID:brooksgolfer
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

The Epic Heavenwood is now my favorite club in the bag.  The thing is an absolute beast.  I shorter courses  (Par 4's: 340-380),  I don't even take the driver out.
Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero - 12.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
3 Wood: Callaway Epic SubZero - 17 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
7 Wood: Callaway Epic Heavenwood - 20 Deg - GD Tour AD MT- 6S
9 Wood: Callaway Epic Divine Nine - 24 Deg - GD Tour AD DI - 7S
Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 - 6i-AW - Recoil 110 F4
Wedges: Fourteen RM-21 - 54/10 and 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: YES! Tracey FC - 33"
Ball: Taylormade TP-x
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5

16

#1907 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3377

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

View Postarbitrage, on 08 August 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

The Epic Heavenwood is now my favorite club in the bag.  The thing is an absolute beast.  I shorter courses  (Par 4's: 340-380),  I don't even take the driver out.

Feel the same about the 3H, using it as much or more than the SZ3+ lately.

I think the Epic name is justified, at least for me.
GBB Epic 9* - HZRDUS T800-55 - 46" (animal)
Epic SZ 3+ - HZRDUS T800-65
Epic 3H - Recoil
Epic 4H - Recoil
Mizuno JPX 900F - NS Pro Modus3 Tour125
Mizuno T7 - 50-54-58 - NS Pro Modus3 Tour125
Custom O Works Tank V-Line Fang Slant

17

#1908 coreyhr

coreyhr

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78719
  • Joined: 03/30/2009
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:+2.7
  • Ebay ID:coreyua
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:59 AM

Has anyone struggled with the Epic spinning initially then found a shaft that was a good fit and reduced spin? I loved the ball speed I got with the Epic, but I spun it too much. I even tried a T1100 in it but that didn't bring it down either. Thinking the head just isn't a fit for my swing. I'm not getting the same ball speed with my M1 440 but it's impossible to spin it more than 2300-2400, which I love. I had the same results with the Sub Zero head btw, same spin numbers but lower ball speed.
Taylormade M1 440 9.5* - Tour AD DI 6S
Taylormade M1 15* - Tour AD DI 8S
Taylormade UDI 18* - Tour AD DI 95S
Srixon Z745 - KBS Tour 120 Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM5 50*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey O-Works V-Line Fang CH

18

#1909 xjohnx

xjohnx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75904
  • Joined: 02/23/2009
  • Location:NH
  • Ebay ID:xedgep90x
GolfWRX Likes : 519

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

View Postcoreyhr, on 08 August 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

Has anyone struggled with the Epic spinning initially then found a shaft that was a good fit and reduced spin? I loved the ball speed I got with the Epic, but I spun it too much. I even tried a T1100 in it but that didn't bring it down either. Thinking the head just isn't a fit for my swing. I'm not getting the same ball speed with my M1 440 but it's impossible to spin it more than 2300-2400, which I love. I had the same results with the Sub Zero head btw, same spin numbers but lower ball speed.

Did you try the SZ head? I'd give it another shot. With a t1100 these heads really shouldn't spin too much more than a M1 440 unless you were playing way too much loft. Could have been an off day or unreliable data.

19

#1910 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:3.3
GolfWRX Likes : 513

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:53 AM

View Postxjohnx, on 08 August 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

View Postcoreyhr, on 08 August 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

Has anyone struggled with the Epic spinning initially then found a shaft that was a good fit and reduced spin? I loved the ball speed I got with the Epic, but I spun it too much. I even tried a T1100 in it but that didn't bring it down either. Thinking the head just isn't a fit for my swing. I'm not getting the same ball speed with my M1 440 but it's impossible to spin it more than 2300-2400, which I love. I had the same results with the Sub Zero head btw, same spin numbers but lower ball speed.

Did you try the SZ head? I'd give it another shot. With a t1100 these heads really shouldn't spin too much more than a M1 440 unless you were playing way too much loft. Could have been an off day or unreliable data.

:dntknw:

Callaway Fusion 9* Diamana "60" Red Stiff
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*
Ping G20 4-U, DG S300
Callaway PM 56* SW & 64* LW
Cure RX2 (today)
Currently testing golf balls

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#1911 xjohnx

xjohnx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75904
  • Joined: 02/23/2009
  • Location:NH
  • Ebay ID:xedgep90x
GolfWRX Likes : 519

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

View Postnsxguy, on 09 August 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

View Postxjohnx, on 08 August 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

View Postcoreyhr, on 08 August 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

Has anyone struggled with the Epic spinning initially then found a shaft that was a good fit and reduced spin? I loved the ball speed I got with the Epic, but I spun it too much. I even tried a T1100 in it but that didn't bring it down either. Thinking the head just isn't a fit for my swing. I'm not getting the same ball speed with my M1 440 but it's impossible to spin it more than 2300-2400, which I love. I had the same results with the Sub Zero head btw, same spin numbers but lower ball speed.

Did you try the SZ head? I'd give it another shot. With a t1100 these heads really shouldn't spin too much more than a M1 440 unless you were playing way too much loft. Could have been an off day or unreliable data.

:dntknw:

I'm going to blame that on going to the eye doctors at lunch time yesterday and having bright lights shined in my eyes. Total BS though since I guess I just didn't read it all! But I'm still surprised he saw that much of a variance in spin. Hard to tell why though. Golf is a b****.

21

#1912 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:3.3
GolfWRX Likes : 513

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

View Postxjohnx, on 09 August 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

View Postnsxguy, on 09 August 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

View Postxjohnx, on 08 August 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

View Postcoreyhr, on 08 August 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

Has anyone struggled with the Epic spinning initially then found a shaft that was a good fit and reduced spin? I loved the ball speed I got with the Epic, but I spun it too much. I even tried a T1100 in it but that didn't bring it down either. Thinking the head just isn't a fit for my swing. I'm not getting the same ball speed with my M1 440 but it's impossible to spin it more than 2300-2400, which I love. I had the same results with the Sub Zero head btw, same spin numbers but lower ball speed.

Did you try the SZ head? I'd give it another shot. With a t1100 these heads really shouldn't spin too much more than a M1 440 unless you were playing way too much loft. Could have been an off day or unreliable data.

:dntknw:

I'm going to blame that on going to the eye doctors at lunch time yesterday and having bright lights shined in my eyes. Total BS though since I guess I just didn't read it all! But I'm still surprised he saw that much of a variance in spin. Hard to tell why though. Golf is a b****.

Just bustin' 'em. Wish I had a nickel for everything I've missed in others' posts. I'd have a LOT of nickels. :D

Posted Image
Callaway Fusion 9* Diamana "60" Red Stiff
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*
Ping G20 4-U, DG S300
Callaway PM 56* SW & 64* LW
Cure RX2 (today)
Currently testing golf balls

22

#1913 xjohnx

xjohnx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75904
  • Joined: 02/23/2009
  • Location:NH
  • Ebay ID:xedgep90x
GolfWRX Likes : 519

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:34 PM

View Postnsxguy, on 09 August 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

View Postxjohnx, on 09 August 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

View Postnsxguy, on 09 August 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

View Postxjohnx, on 08 August 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

View Postcoreyhr, on 08 August 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

Has anyone struggled with the Epic spinning initially then found a shaft that was a good fit and reduced spin? I loved the ball speed I got with the Epic, but I spun it too much. I even tried a T1100 in it but that didn't bring it down either. Thinking the head just isn't a fit for my swing. I'm not getting the same ball speed with my M1 440 but it's impossible to spin it more than 2300-2400, which I love. I had the same results with the Sub Zero head btw, same spin numbers but lower ball speed.

Did you try the SZ head? I'd give it another shot. With a t1100 these heads really shouldn't spin too much more than a M1 440 unless you were playing way too much loft. Could have been an off day or unreliable data.

:dntknw:

I'm going to blame that on going to the eye doctors at lunch time yesterday and having bright lights shined in my eyes. Total BS though since I guess I just didn't read it all! But I'm still surprised he saw that much of a variance in spin. Hard to tell why though. Golf is a b****.

Just bustin' 'em. Wish I had a nickel for everything I've missed in others' posts. I'd have a LOT of nickels. :D

Posted Image

Oh man I hear ya. I can't even blame you. I love pointing these things out. All in good spirit!

23

#1914 JDMRN81

JDMRN81

    Rookie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434818
  • Joined: 08/01/2016
  • Location:PA
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

The SZ 3 wood has been the best 3W I've ever hit. The beginning of the season I kept my 3W out of the bag (915F) because I couldn't hit it for the life of me. Took a chance on the SZ and it's been the best purchase for me this year. It's incredibly long and straight.  

Also have the SZ 9* driver and while I'm currently working on swing changes with my driver, when I hit it on the screws with the AD TP-7s it gives me a piercing, mid flight that rolls forever. Hit my longest drive last week at 294 yds (I'm usually a 240-265 total depending on conditions).

Edited by JDMRN81, 09 August 2017 - 04:09 PM.

Titleist 915 D2 10.5* Aldila Rogue 95 Black 70s
Ping G 2H 17* Alta 70s
Srixon Z565 4-GW KBS C-Taper lite 110
Callaway MD3 Luck Clover 54*, 58*
Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34"

24

#1915 lawsonman

lawsonman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Joined: 03/29/2012
  • Location:Freeport, Illinois
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 2386

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

I still can't get over this driver. Last night in league I hit one pretty far out on the toe on a par 5. With roll my drive rolled out to just short of 250. I know that's laughable for most here but for a short dumpy 65 year old who has never been a big hitter I couldn't be happier. This experience just reinforces the importance of getting fitted with the right shaft.

I have a excellent short game. It's unfortunate that it starts on the Tee.

Callaway Epic/ Stiff Hzrdus
Taylormade RBZ 19 Hybrid
Titleist 910H 22* Hybrid
Callaway 2007 X-Forged 4-PW
Odyssey O Works 3T
Ping Glide 54, 58
Snell MTB Ball

25

#1916 xjohnx

xjohnx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75904
  • Joined: 02/23/2009
  • Location:NH
  • Ebay ID:xedgep90x
GolfWRX Likes : 519

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

View PostJDMRN81, on 09 August 2017 - 04:06 PM, said:

The SZ 3 wood has been the best 3W I've ever hit. The beginning of the season I kept my 3W out of the bag (915F) because I couldn't hit it for the life of me. Took a chance on the SZ and it's been the best purchase for me this year. It's incredibly long and straight.  

Also have the SZ 9* driver and while I'm currently working on swing changes with my driver, when I hit it on the screws with the AD TP-7s it gives me a piercing, mid flight that rolls forever. Hit my longest drive last week at 294 yds (I'm usually a 240-265 total depending on conditions).

Same boat here. I've been playing 10+ year old 3 woods for years because everything modern has been too large and bulky for me. Drivers are a different story as I've had many in recent years. Went in right away to get fit for a driver in February and when I saw the SZ was actually a small head by recent standards I decided to order it blindly just to match the driver.

Fast forward and from the day I got it until this moment the SZ 3 wood has been a 100% reliable cannon. I love the driver too but have issues and my confidence comes and goes. The SZ 3 wood is by far the most automatic and reliable club I've ever had in my bag in 20 years. There are days where I wonder why I even bother with the driver at all.

26

#1917 Whiskey_fire

Whiskey_fire

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113617
  • Joined: 08/27/2010
  • Location:Nova Scotia
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

Just got another epic 🤣  Weight of the head is 198g on this one. 👍🏼
Looking for M1 9.5 or subzero 9, OG Whiteboard is waiting
RBZ Stage 2, Rip Alpha
Titleist AP2 3-9, Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey 48,54,60, Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron M2

27

#1918 Kentsp1

Kentsp1

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22117
  • Joined: 11/24/2006
  • Location:Omaha, NE
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:33 AM

A beast of a driver. Hit a demo against my current gamer '17 m2 hzrdus 65 x and was consistently 15 yards further. The launch and spin numbers this produces are unreal. Reminds me of the first time I tried the sldr, but way more forgiving and better feel. I pulled the trigger on it. 9* epic sz weight forward Rogue 75 x.
Callaway Epic SZ 9* rogue max 75 X
Callaway Epic SZ 15* rogue max 85 X
Taylormade MC 3-W KBS Tour X
Taylormade TP 52, 56 KBS Tour X
Vokey Brushed Copper SM6 60*
Odyssey O-works black 7S 33 1/2 "

28

#1919 snagy2000

snagy2000

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 910 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9545
  • Joined: 01/10/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 260

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

Anyone have a long term review of the SZ 5W? I have the SZ 3W and its a beast.

29

#1920 scooterboy59

scooterboy59

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116797
  • Joined: 10/29/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

Have mine dialed in and loving life.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors