Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 6 votes

Tales From The Tour, Part II.....

A Has Been And A Never Was

673 replies to this topic

#661 Shilgy

Shilgy

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,651 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Handicap:1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 4581

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:01 PM

View PostChip Out Sideways, on 21 April 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

I note the very American flavour of the greats!  That said I find it hard to believe that so many Americans fall for the Hogan myth (he was great but top 5?) and ignore his direct contempt, Byron Nelson.  Trevino? Even Casper should get some votes!  Many missing (Watson, T!) from my list.

Now for the non-US players!  As a Brit the great triumuvrate obviously should be considered.  Our best ever, Cotton or Faldo. Others? Player!  Who got more from less? Seve?

The question with comparing records, even today when it is more similar and non-American players are much more likely to play the US Tour, is that era's are so different.  The major list is a good starting point, as are all time wins (across all tours).  I am not saying those already mentioned are less than all time greats but there are others who compare.
I'll get bashed for this but many of the players of the past, Hogan, Nelson, Cotton, Snead , Hagen and the like are revered partly because they were not scrutinized as much as the current bunch. We have heard quotes about how "Hogan never missed a fairway at Carnoustie" and find pictures online of him hitting out of the hay. Or Jack himself says he never missed a short putt that mattered but we know we did. And on and on. With Shotlink we know what is really happening and it lessens the modern player in our eyes.
That is besides the fact that the fields are vastly deeper today than they ever have been. Look at the lists of "competitors" in the Open in the 50's and early 60's.

Edited by Shilgy, 23 April 2017 - 10:33 AM.

Callaway Epic SZ Fujikura Atmos Black 6s
TM M1 3w 14*  Kuro Kage 70X
Srixon U65 18 Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21
Srixon Z765 5-PW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Taylormade Milled Grind 50
Nike Engage 54 TS
Nike Engage 58 TS
Toulon Garage Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#662 rangersgoalie

rangersgoalie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 290733
GolfWRX Likes : 1937

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:30 PM

Cotton, Faldo, Player
Were all amazing,
Seve changed the world in some ways, dragging the European Tour up with him I. Respect of the world.

But I wouldn't put any of them above my list for a second, though Player is right there imo. That's why I love opinion lists!!

#663 rangersgoalie

rangersgoalie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

9/11

In 2001, I was attempting to come back from a serious wrist injury.  I was off for three years with the injury, and was attempting one more time to regain my status by playing the Buy.com tour.

I hadn't played particularly well, and 5 years of little to no income was having a serious impact on my family.  I was fortunate to be invited regularly to a corporate pro-am at Winged Foot.  It paid  a lot, offered a bit of purse
and gave me an opportunity to play with one of my oldest friends and his business associates.  It was always a great day, and gave me chance to visit NYC staying in my friends place in Manhattan.  The pro-am was late summer
and in 2001 we had a particularly good day, if I remember correctly, I shared the winner take all first prize, which was a Godsend given my financial state at the time.
In addition to my best friend, I played with a man who was very high up at Cantor Fitzgerald.  The day, the golf, and the fun, actually led to an offer from him for an endorsement deal with Cantor Fitzgerald!  I would do some outings,
customer days, etc, but all in all, I believe he was really trying to help me out.

The deal was straightforward, the contract was sent to my agent, and signed within a week.  
I was home in California, wrestling with going to Eugene OR for the event that week.  I liked the course, but my wrist was hurting, and I really couldn't play a practice round and all four rounds the way it felt.  I decided to fly up weds morning instead of my normal tues am flight.
I woke up 9/11 to my wife crying  and upset, and immediately thought something was wrong with my 7 year old daughter.  She said something about being under attack, and I was sleepily very confused.  Went downstairs and saw the second plane hit the towers.  I knew this was really bad, and immediately tried to call my brothers, both golf professionals in NJ.  When I learned they were safe, I immediately tried to get hold of my friend in New York City, and somehow got straight through to his office.  They couldn't believe I was able to get through.  I was able to forward a few messages for them, and also learned my friend, and his friend from Cantor Fitzgerald were in Ohio and safe.  
At this time I had no idea that Cantor Fitz occupied the top floors of WTC North, until my agent called checking to see if I was ok.  I still was unaware until he told me to put on Foxnews, who had a Cantor employee on the phone.  It all became an even more surreal event if that was possible.
I can't remember, but I believe it was when the second tower fell, there was a knock on the door.  Airborne Express delivered my signed contracts from one WTC Cantor Fitzgerald.  I honestly couldn't open it, I just sat down holding the envelope numb, with tears in my eyes.

At Q School finals in Palm Beach that year, I was able to play golf with my friend and the man from Cantor Fitzgerald.  I had exchanged messages with him, but we hadn't spoke since 9/11.   On about the 6th or 7th hole, he learned that I never received my check.  He had signed it, but it apparently never made it out of the buildings.  

He was instrumental in the rebuilding of Cantor Fitzgerald, and took an amazing responsibility to rebuild not only for the families of those impacted, but the importance of Cantors work in helping the financial piece of our country survive the attacks.  He is an amazing man, and lost virtually all of his staff/employees that day.  I'm not sure how he did it.

#664 aabcuue

aabcuue

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107273
  • Ebay ID:aabcuue
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:03 PM

View Postagatha, on 27 December 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

Best advice was my hand surgeon.  If you ask yourself if you should be hitting the shot you're about to, or asking yourself if something is the right thing to do with the wrist, the answer is NO!
Don't just strengthen the worst and hand.  Make certain to do forearm, upper arm and shoulder work as well.  The weakest link will likely bite you if you jam a shot or get hung up in deep grass.  No specific exercises though, doing general strength, flexibility, and stabilizing stuff is huge

Im no expert but when my son had a wrist injury in high school the PT told him for strengthening to fill a container with dry rice (enough to put your hand in and move it around freely). the rice acts as a slight resistance and helps to strengthen the wrist slowly.  At least thats what I got out of it.

This is an old martial arts drill modified for the wrist. Many a student would punch the rice endlessly (many k's) either closed fist or fingers pointed. Works to perfect technique or your in pain.
a 17TM M1 460 9.5* RogueMax 70s 45"
b 16Cobra KingLtd9* Rogue SilverI/O 110msi 60s 45" 1"tip
c Ping G25 8.5* Tour 70x 45"

Titleist 915fd 15* RIP Phenom70s 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

CallawayX20Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm5 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

#665 toypor

toypor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102723
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:36 PM

Very touching story. Thanks for sharing.

#666 grm24

grm24

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
GolfWRX Likes : 851

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:18 PM

View Postrangersgoalie, on 11 April 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

Tiger,
Jack,
Hogan,
Snead,
Jones

I put Tiger first because it will make people crazy, his best was light years better than anyone,
And I think they are really 1/1

Jacks has the better record, Tiger was the better player.
If Snead had won a US Open I'd have him up there as well, and above Hogan.

That said, if they were all in their prime, I'd watch Hogan hit balls, Snead and Jones play 18, and Tiger play with a lead!

I should get a serious a,punt of crap from this I'd assume!!
Only from the uninformed.

#667 aabcuue

aabcuue

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:34 AM

View Postrangersgoalie, on 04 April 2017 - 10:56 PM, said:

In 2014/15/16 I played a decent number of qualifiers and a few events while chasing  Champions Tour status.

I called three penalties on myself for my ball moving.  Had one playing partner call,one on himself.
I had heard rumors about a player who was suspect.  He putted with a long putter not anchoring,
And there were a few "rumors". I watched him pretty closely, and saw nothing.  I can guarantee you if I
Saw something I'd call it, but I would have to be damned sure, and would ask the other player in the group to watch as well.

During my regular tour time, on two separate occasions I hadn't two penalties for balls moving on one green!
I read that Phil said guys are playing it pretty loose with marking the ball, and it makes me puke.  IF and I mean IF that is happening,
And nobody is calling it, they need to go to shotlink data and see who the cheaters are.

The shotlink data won't show anything. All laser operators will only shoot the ball once/shot and definitely not again after marking.

Many operators have a hard enough time getting 1shot in time nevermind the position before a tap-in.

Depending on green visibility from the fairway, operators don't always know whose ball is whose on the green when it lands on the green. Frequently they wait to shoot the ball/marker until after the player goes to mark the ball.

Edited by aabcuue, 12 September 2017 - 04:13 AM.

#668 aabcuue

aabcuue

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:56 AM

View PostHoosierMizuno, on 11 April 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

View Postrangersgoalie, on 06 April 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Richard, they have measurements of where every ball stops on the green shot by very accurate calibrated lasers.

I'd bet a lot they have data on how well balls are replaced!!

shotlink would pick up if a player replaced his ball 1 inch from where it originally was marked? is it really this accurate?

Only as accurate as the volunteer shooting the laser pointer on a surveyor's transit.

You can focus to a dimple on the ball or a blade of grass. However, the transit is shaking as people/other in tower move nearby while your on a painted 4"x8" plywood platform on iron poles while the wind blows.

Problem is no one ever shoots the original location and the position after marking the ball. Operators are only taught to only shoot 1x not before the mark/after mark. It is assumed that the ball replacement is the same position w/in reason as original pre-mark position.

The other competitor(s), official for that hole(s) and the walking scorer are going to make the call for any "lax replacement". The walking scorer will be off the fringe off the green and official will roam from fairway to green.

I haven't seen "lax ball replacement" called in my rounds following players over the decades following the tour. Nor have I heard of this penalty being called.

Every official, walking scorers, crew of shotlink operators & several other functions all have live radio updating any call for official/medic, penalty & unusual event (e.g. hole in one, OBs, taking a drop, etc.). News of unusual events will be talked about for some time.

Edited by aabcuue, 12 September 2017 - 03:58 AM.

#669 aabcuue

aabcuue

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:12 AM

View Postrangersgoalie, on 11 September 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

9/11

In 2001, I was attempting to come back from a serious wrist injury.  I was off for three years with the injury, and was attempting one more time to regain my status by playing the Buy.com tour.

I hadn't played particularly well, and 5 years of little to no income was having a serious impact on my family.  I was fortunate to be invited regularly to a corporate pro-am at Winged Foot.  It paid  a lot, offered a bit of purse
and gave me an opportunity to play with one of my oldest friends and his business associates.  It was always a great day, and gave me chance to visit NYC staying in my friends place in Manhattan.  The pro-am was late summer
and in 2001 we had a particularly good day, if I remember correctly, I shared the winner take all first prize, which was a Godsend given my financial state at the time.
In addition to my best friend, I played with a man who was very high up at Cantor Fitzgerald.  The day, the golf, and the fun, actually led to an offer from him for an endorsement deal with Cantor Fitzgerald!  I would do some outings, customer days, etc, but all in all, I believe he was really trying to help me out.

The deal was straightforward, the contract was sent to my agent, and signed within a week.  
I was home in California, wrestling with going to Eugene OR for the event that week.  I liked the course, but my wrist was hurting, and I really couldn't play a practice round and all four rounds the way it felt.  I decided to fly up weds morning instead of my normal tues am flight.
I woke up 9/11 to my wife crying  and upset, and immediately thought something was wrong with my 7 year old daughter.  She said something about being under attack, and I was sleepily very confused.  Went downstairs and saw the second plane hit the towers.  I knew this was really bad, and immediately tried to call my brothers, both golf professionals in NJ.  When I learned they were safe, I immediately tried to get hold of my friend in New York City, and somehow got straight through to his office.  They couldn't believe I was able to get through.  I was able to forward a few messages for them, and also learned my friend, and his friend from Cantor Fitzgerald were in Ohio and safe.  
At this time I had no idea that Cantor Fitz occupied the top floors of WTC North, until my agent called checking to see if I was ok.  I still was unaware until he told me to put on Foxnews, who had a Cantor employee on the phone.  It all became an even more surreal event if that was possible.
I can't remember, but I believe it was when the second tower fell, there was a knock on the door.  Airborne Express delivered my signed contracts from one WTC Cantor Fitzgerald.  I honestly couldn't open it, I just sat down holding the envelope numb, with tears in my eyes.

At Q School finals in Palm Beach that year, I was able to play golf with my friend and the man from Cantor Fitzgerald.  I had exchanged messages with him, but we hadn't spoke since 9/11.   On about the 6th or 7th hole, he learned that I never received my check.  He had signed it, but it apparently never made it out of the buildings.  

He was instrumental in the rebuilding of Cantor Fitzgerald, and took an amazing responsibility to rebuild not only for the families of those impacted, but the importance of Cantors work in helping the financial piece of our country survive the attacks.  He is an amazing man, and lost virtually all of his staff/employees that day.  I'm not sure how he did it.

Thanks to your friend & Cantor Fitzgerald, 9/11 has now become a national day of service & giving after following their example. We may never forget 9/11 but at least some good has been created.

The NY/NJ local news always has a segment showing current CF employees, stars (sports, movie/tv, broadway) donating time & salary for answering trading calls & all $ traded on 9/11 to rotating multiple charities for 9/11, 1st responders.

In 2017 they added disaster relief for Hurricanes Harvey & Irma. Every year they raise many, many millions.

Edited by aabcuue, 12 September 2017 - 04:14 AM.

#670 rangersgoalie

rangersgoalie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

View Postaabcuue, on 12 September 2017 - 04:12 AM, said:

9/11

In addition to my best friend, I played with a man who was very high up at Cantor Fitzgerald.  The day, the golf, and the fun, actually led to an offer from him for an endorsement deal with Cantor Fitzgerald!  I would do some outings, customer days, etc, but all in all, I believe he was really trying to help me out.

Thanks to your friend & Cantor Fitzgerald, 9/11 has now become a national day of service & giving after following their example. We may never forget 9/11 but at least some good has been created.

The NY/NJ local news always has a segment showing current CF employees, stars (sports, movie/tv, broadway) donating time & salary for answering trading calls & all $ traded on 9/11 to rotating multiple charities for 9/11, 1st responders.

In 2017 they added disaster relief for Hurricanes Harvey & Irma. Every year they raise many, many millions.

The conversations I had with him,though few, were amazing.  There was a sense of responsibility he had, and not to the business per se, but to the families and employees.  His response has always amazed me

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#671 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

Putting is 98%+ Mental...Numbers & Mechanics? Yea Right€

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
GolfWRX Likes : 22872

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

View Postrangersgoalie, on 12 September 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

View Postaabcuue, on 12 September 2017 - 04:12 AM, said:

9/11

The conversations I had with him,though few, were amazing.  There was a sense of responsibility he had, and not to the business per se, but to the families and employees.  His response has always amazed me
Hey Bro, I hope all's well👊

I'm glad that you finally shared this story with the Members!!

An amazing story!!

How's your shoulder?

Are you getting to Play at all?

As always, you're in my thoughts👊

Stay well my Friend🍻
Richard

Edited by Forged4ever, 12 September 2017 - 03:35 PM.

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~

But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....

GHIN: Beefeater 24

#672 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

Serial Shanker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 567

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

9/11

In addition to my best friend, I played with a man who was very high up at Cantor Fitzgerald.  The day, the golf, and the fun, actually led to an offer from him for an endorsement deal with Cantor Fitzgerald!  I would do some outings,
customer days, etc, but all in all, I believe he was really trying to help me out.

Wow, what a story.  Thanks for sharing.  Puts another very personal touch to what happened that day.
Cobra F7+ - GD GP 7x
Ping G15 - Looking to replace
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
23* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - GD DI 105x
5-PW Yururi Flat Back Raw (Black) - DGTI X100s
GW, SW Royal Collect Dual Bite - DGTI S400s
Lob Wedge - SM6 MGrind - DGTI S400
Scotty Circa '62 No. 2
Srixon Z-Star (Mostly)

#673 rangersgoalie

rangersgoalie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

Richard
I've played three times, basically one handed haha
I take the club back with both hands, and let go with my right as I move through impact, basically one handed through the finish.

Played about 8 holes at Lake Nona that way and was one under!!!  Maybe I found something hahahaa

How are you feeling....when are we going to get to help you back to playing

#674 bandrz

bandrz

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167841
GolfWRX Likes : 529

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:39 PM

9/11

Amazing story.  thank you for sharing.  It's crazy to think how many similar stories there are out there.  Of course most prominent are the roughly 3,000 lives lost.  But think of how many people this event extended to in some form or another.  Sometimes it's really hard to grasp the magnitude of 9/11.  Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors