Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

This little book transformed my short game in days

151 replies to this topic

#121 TheFatTick

TheFatTick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129528
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

Tamayo's concepts are not in the least incompatible with the putt chip technique.

Tamayo isn't concerned with how you get the club back. Whether you prefer to feel the club thru your hands or whether you prefer to control the shaft with your shoulders, he doesn't care. He just wants you shifting the weight  -or at least feeling like you are shifting - slightly forward on the backswing, and he wants you following the ball with your eyes on the follow thru.

I very much chip with my shoulders, with very little input from my hands. What I find advantageous with Tamayo's method is that I seem to end up with perfect posture at the completion of my swing.

I will say this: reading his book, and implementing three things: not grasping the club with my right hand until I have already set the shaft, pressing down slightly with my left foot on the backswing, and tracking the ball towards the hole with my eyes has tightened my chip dispersion considerably. Not completely sure why, but it works.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#122 dap

dap

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35223
GolfWRX Likes : 326

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:05 AM

My theory is that following the ball with your eyes can eliminate some of the hit impulse and you are less likely to decelerate and get flippy. The putt chip locks the wrist so it basically eliminates getting flippy so it's not necessary to follow the ball with your eyes but I suppose it won't hurt either.

#123 troublelove

troublelove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 228175
  • Handicap:4.6
  • Ebay ID:troublelove
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:54 AM

View PostTheFatTick, on 12 January 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

Tamayo's concepts are not in the least incompatible with the putt chip technique.

Tamayo isn't concerned with how you get the club back. Whether you prefer to feel the club thru your hands or whether you prefer to control the shaft with your shoulders, he doesn't care. He just wants you shifting the weight  -or at least feeling like you are shifting - slightly forward on the backswing, and he wants you following the ball with your eyes on the follow thru.

I very much chip with my shoulders, with very little input from my hands. What I find advantageous with Tamayo's method is that I seem to end up with perfect posture at the completion of my swing.

I will say this: reading his book, and implementing three things: not grasping the club with my right hand until I have already set the shaft, pressing down slightly with my left foot on the backswing, and tracking the ball towards the hole with my eyes has tightened my chip dispersion considerably. Not completely sure why, but it works.

I bought the book on the OP's recommendation and it was a great investment. As the above person stated, it isn't a single fix, there are four main things to implement:
Stance and ball position for certain shots
Club angle at address and when to grip the club
Forward weight movement on back swing
Following the ball with your eyes

This technique won't cure a fundamentally flawed action, but it will allow you to make contact with the ball on a much more consistent basis. As most people with short game woes (myself included) it is consistency I'm after.

Edited by troublelove, 13 January 2017 - 06:22 AM.

Callaway V Series Fujikura Speeder 665 Evolution 2
Callaway Epic 15* GD AD I
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20* GD AD I
Srixon Z745 4-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 3 50,54,58
Scotty Cameron Custom Notchback or Odyssey no.11 or Odyssey 1W
TP5x

#124 Golfbeat

Golfbeat

Swing Lessee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251408
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 661

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:11 AM

View Postdap, on 13 January 2017 - 01:05 AM, said:

My theory is that following the ball with your eyes can eliminate some of the hit impulse and you are less likely to decelerate and get flippy. The putt chip locks the wrist so it basically eliminates getting flippy so it's not necessary to follow the ball with your eyes but I suppose it won't hurt either.

Does the putt chip work when you are short sided in bermuda rough with fast greens?
Attention-Deficit Hypergolfactivity Disorder

#125 dap

dap

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35223
GolfWRX Likes : 326

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

View PostGolfbeat, on 13 January 2017 - 07:11 AM, said:

Does the putt chip work when you are short sided in bermuda rough with fast greens?
No. This shot requires height to stop quickly so the ball needs to be hit firmer with a very lofted club and you can't do this without wrist c0ck. A shot like this is tough even for professionals.

#126 Obee

Obee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72306
  • Handicap:+1
  • Ebay ID:davidraymondober
GolfWRX Likes : 2774

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

View PostGolfbeat, on 13 January 2017 - 07:11 AM, said:

Most certainly not.

#127 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
GolfWRX Likes : 284

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:40 AM

True confession: I am probably one of the WORST chippers in America...I suck with having had a multitude of chipping lessons and thousands of hours of practice and I can still manage to skull 50% or more of my chips. I hate it because other parts of my game are more like that of a 5 or 6 handi but my crap chipping adds at least 3-4 strokes to my every round.

So, I bought the book, read some of the key points and tried it out same day in the course in crap weather in NYC. With very wet conditions and temp greens, I did see some marked improvement in what's usually the most abominable part of my game.  

Basically I focused on weight on left side with backswing and eyes following ball on follow through (my simple mind can't handle much more than that!). Definitely felt different and after a couple crap shots, starting hitting it much more solidly. I need to spend much more time with it, but initial results have me feeling very good.

The one thing that's unnatural for me with this swing is "weight forward" in the backswing...it's counter to what my brain wants to do...you're swinging back with the club and upper body, but leaning forward w lower left side. Wondering if others struggle with that concept.

#128 Cwing

Cwing

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,909 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
  • Handicap:12.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1112

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:59 PM

Any updates as guys start taking this to the course?
Callaway Fusion 10.5* w/44.5" Recoil 450ES
Callaway XR 4 wood
Callaway Big Bertha 19* hybrid
PING k15 23* 4 hybrid
PING G25 5-U w/DG XP s300
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
PING Ketsch
Garmin g6/Caddytek V2
http://www.golfwrx.c...ings-witb-2013/

#129 TheFatTick

TheFatTick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:02 PM

View PostCwing, on 09 February 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

Any updates as guys start taking this to the course?

It works.

It's not magic. But it is remarkably effective.

For me the key was tempo. Once A bit of practice allowed me to get comfortable subtly shifting my weight to my left side on the backswing - a bit unnatural - and smoothly following the path of the ball to the target on the downswing and follow thru without pulling up, the technique is fantastically effective.

I think there are still individual aspects you have to personalize: I keep my hands quiet, use the image of a clock face for tempo, ect. But in three or four weeks of practice it's been one of the most dramatic improvements I've ever had in my game.

#130 Golfbeat

Golfbeat

Swing Lessee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:26 AM

I am convinced that this is a keeper. As FatTick says it needs some personalization on tempo and for me the grip (weaker) but it really does work.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#131 macdubh

macdubh

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73161
  • Ebay ID:dlkemp
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:19 PM

View PostGolfbeat, on 10 February 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

I am convinced that this is a keeper. As FatTick says it needs some personalization on tempo and for me the grip (weaker) but it really does work.

I have to agree with the positive feedback...  I bought the book after reading this thread. It is an easy read and I took it to the course yesterday afternoon after playing in the morning (first good day weather wise since November). I am a believer;  the technique is simple and amazing following the ball with your eyes does take you through to a nice finish.
One cautionary note at least for me: do not over do the weight shift forward it is a subtle weight shift going from 50:50 to 70:30 is not that much and I found if I over do it I would tend to dig the leading edge and back comes the bladed or chunked chips.
I believe I truly do have a bit of the chipping yips --- playing partners have commented multiple times that I have a beautiful practice chip/pitch but once the ball in front of the wedge I am chopping and flipping at it (hit instinct or whatever)
I found yesterday and today chipping at home that if I combine a very light grip 2 on a scale of 10 with the eyes following technique that the hit instinct is under control and I have a very nice tempo and finish.
Great thread for all of us that struggle with the short game --- thanks to all.
Would also recommend youtubes from Pete Cowan and Brad Faxon (at least for me they were complimentary to this technique)

#132 ULMgerman

ULMgerman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 347097
  • Handicap:Pro
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:36 PM

thanks!! need to read it

#133 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
GolfWRX Likes : 284

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:04 PM

I bought the book and tried it a few times in practice but couldn't quite get the concept of weight shift forward while you're taking the club back.

Very counterintuitive for me

#134 Golfbeat

Golfbeat

Swing Lessee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

View PostSwisstrader98, on 12 March 2017 - 10:04 PM, said:

I bought the book and tried it a few times in practice but couldn't quite get the concept of weight shift forward while you're taking the club back.

Very counterintuitive for me

It is actually very similar with the full swing: weight shift forward happens before the club has completed the back swing.

#135 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Linus!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 7375

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:33 PM

I think anything that speaks to anyone and helps them improve is great.

I bought it during the winter, read it all the way through, read some parts again, and promptly tossed it so it wouldn't tempt me. His technique and his descriptions are just counter to what I'm working on, and he just wasn't connecting with me. Maybe my fault, but if it's not getting me engaged or coming through with some stuff that gets my attention in a good way, better to leave it alone.

Again, seems to "speak" to many and that's great.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 13 March 2017 - 12:35 PM.

#136 sbark

sbark

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4282
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

View Postjuststeve, on 22 December 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

Good players are target oriented when they swing the club.  Poor players are ball oriented.  Releasing the eyes and head promotes target orientation.

Steve

Shawn Clements points that out also.  If totally ball fixated--easy to succum to OTT.  He uses a axe splitting firewood with focus directly downward, natural action is to swing downward..............vrs  target fixation, a drill such as throwing a club, promotes a swing at or near the swing plane ; not OTT

#137 dbleag

dbleag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11778
GolfWRX Likes : 835

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

View Postsbark, on 13 March 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

View Postjuststeve, on 22 December 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

Good players are target oriented when they swing the club.  Poor players are ball oriented.  Releasing the eyes and head promotes target orientation.

Steve

Shawn Clements points that out also.  If totally ball fixated--easy to succum to OTT.  He uses a axe splitting firewood with focus directly downward, natural action is to swing downward..............vrs  target fixation, a drill such as throwing a club, promotes a swing at or near the swing plane ; not OTT

I've been throwing clubs for years, but can never tell if I'm OTT or on plane.

#138 TheFatTick

TheFatTick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

Thank you for posting this OP. Easily the most useful and positively impactful golf book I've ever read. Chipping has become a joy.

#139 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 340

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:50 AM

View Postofortuna, on 30 December 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

View PostPing-anser, on 30 December 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

View Postsjsdogsrule, on 22 December 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

Curious if anyone looked at his other book on the full golf swing?

I have both books and thought the short game one was great. Improved my short game dramatically. However, for the full swing, I am confused. He suggests you turn your shoulders on a very vertical plane, such that it would be parallel to a club shaft touching your right toes and one inch forward of your left toes. And then he says that you should turn your shoulders vertically so that a club shaft across your shoulders would not have the left shoulder go out over the shaft on the ground. To do this as he describes, you would have to tilt your shoulders vs turning them. But if you look at the photos, he appears to be making a "normal" shoulder plane turn that is no where near vertical. Not flat but certainly not vertical.  And he appears to have a shoulder turn that is 90 degrees to the spine, as is recommended by virtually most (all?) instructors, not vertical as he says in his descriptions.

So for those of you who have read the full swing book, is he describing the move poorly and he is just trying to get a more vertical shoulder turn vs a flat shoulder turn, or am I just not understanding this?

Thanks to  anyone who has any insight into this.

The writer says the predominant backswing problem for amateurs is too flat of a shoulder plane in the backswing resulting in taking the club too far inside.  His simple backswing visualization recommendation results in the right shoulder going up and back while the lead shoulder goes down. I think it's a clever shortcut and works.

Sounds familiar.
http://www.golfwrx.c...uctive-discuss/

Many Hands make Light Work.  Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

#140 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:51 AM

View Postdbleag, on 19 March 2017 - 07:46 PM, said:

upload your swing

Many Hands make Light Work.  Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#141 Ghost of Snead

Ghost of Snead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257314
GolfWRX Likes : 1406

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

View PostSunkTheBirdie, on 07 April 2017 - 06:51 AM, said:

upload your swing

Upload your swing so we can all see how it's done.

#142 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:08 AM

View PostGhost of Snead, on 07 April 2017 - 07:07 AM, said:

upload your swing

TrolLOL.

#143 Ghost of Snead

Ghost of Snead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257314
GolfWRX Likes : 1406

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:10 AM

View PostSunkTheBirdie, on 07 April 2017 - 07:08 AM, said:

upload your swing

TrolLOL.

What's the issue ?  Or are you really just a hack ?

#144 andrue

andrue

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:42 AM

I've only just noticed this thread and it's very interesting. Until late last summer I was an inveterate bump 'n run merchant because I couldn't chip properly to save my life. I finally decided that I had to figure it out so spent nearly two hours chipping at the academy course near me. I eventually came up with a technique that seemed reliable and effective.

The 'key' move I came up with was to think about trying to carry the ball forward on my club face. The thing is that in order to do that I am trying to keep the club head travelling parallel to the ground during and after the strike and to do that I have to allow myself some shoulder and head movement.

I'll study this more when I get home tonight but it sounds like I stumbled onto at least part of the magic formula myself. The only thing I might be missing is that I get hardly any backspin from my chip. It's basically a bump 'n run that bumps high and far enough to fly over bunkers.
Callaway XR Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Cleveland LW
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

#145 Burt Chance

Burt Chance

I'm just here for the free beer.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311969
GolfWRX Likes : 401

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:03 PM

I have found that this technique works for me but the think I am having problems with is the forward shaft lean. The way he talks about leaning the club towards the left leg and then taking a grip, has be closing the club face and almost doing like a hinge and hold.

Nike Vapor Speed TW Driver 10.5 °
TM M2 3W-15°
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 Iron 17°
TaylorMade M1 3 Rescue 19°
TaylorMade RSi TP Forged 4-PW
Nike Engage 50 & 54 ° SS  60° DS
Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

#146 Millbrook

Millbrook

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216859
GolfWRX Likes : 366

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:16 AM

I found this helped with the books approach;

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

#147 dbleag

dbleag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11778
GolfWRX Likes : 835

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

View PostGhost of Snead, on 07 April 2017 - 07:10 AM, said:

View PostSunkTheBirdie, on 07 April 2017 - 07:08 AM, said:

upload your swing

TrolLOL.

What's the issue ?  Or are you really just a hack ?

Just a bad joke, Francis.

#148 Millbrook

Millbrook

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:36 AM

A training aid which encourages the approach in the book;

to expertise.

#149 tm3

tm3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81192
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:36 AM

Would a preset of weight to the left before starting the swing have the same effect as shifting to the left during the swing?

#150 Millbrook

Millbrook

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:40 AM

View Posttm3, on 27 July 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

Would a preset of weight to the left before starting the swing have the same effect as shifting to the left during the swing?

I'd try it and see if you still turn through. I'm not good enough to give advice yet it seems to me that shifting left is a more fluid motion.

to expertise.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors