Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

College Golf Advice

College Golf Junior Tournament Scores

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 BWISE10

BWISE10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423886
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

Hi GOLFWRX! I am currently a junior in hs in the philly area. I have my hopes set on playing d1 golf (primarily bc I would like to go to a somewhat big school). This past summer I played in a decent amount of tournament (10-15 rounds) and maintained a 76-77 scoring avg with the low of even par 72. These were primarily in GAP tournaments, HJGT, and and my high school playoff season. My grades are pretty good as well, multiple APs and honors, with a GPA of slightly above 4.3. I have spent a lot of time researching colleges and advice on this forum. Been searching around on golfstat and have been looking at some of the d1 colleges ranked around 250 on the list. I should note I didn't play in any agja tournaments this summer (extremely costly and very few offered nearby). I realize I should try to play in some more this coming season. Any advice or opinions on colleges welcome. I had a friend from my team go to a really good d1 school on a scholarship, but other than that I have very little experience with college golf and recruiting. Should I start reaching out to coaches now or should I wait until this season when my scores have improved? Sorry for the load of information...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 986

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:10 AM

View PostBWISE10, on 13 December 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

Hi GOLFWRX! I am currently a junior in hs in the philly area. I have my hopes set on playing d1 golf (primarily bc I would like to go to a somewhat big school). This past summer I played in a decent amount of tournament (10-15 rounds) and maintained a 76-77 scoring avg with the low of even par 72. These were primarily in GAP tournaments, HJGT, and and my high school playoff season. My grades are pretty good as well, multiple APs and honors, with a GPA of slightly above 4.3. I have spent a lot of time researching colleges and advice on this forum. Been searching around on golfstat and have been looking at some of the d1 colleges ranked around 250 on the list. I should note I didn't play in any agja tournaments this summer (extremely costly and very few offered nearby). I realize I should try to play in some more this coming season. Any advice or opinions on colleges welcome. I had a friend from my team go to a really good d1 school on a scholarship, but other than that I have very little experience with college golf and recruiting. Should I start reaching out to coaches now or should I wait until this season when my scores have improved? Sorry for the load of information...

If you are a junior already, you are behind the 8 ball.  Reaching out to coaches should have been done back in your freshman year.  Many of the D1 schools are already done recruiting for the class of 2018.  

I would look here to see where you fall.  You need to be realistic at what level you are at.  
https://www.juniorgo....asp?sort=class

To put it into more perspective.  A buddies son of mine has a 0.6 handicap.  Lives in Florida and was recruited by no one.  He shoots high 70's in tournament golf, mid to low 70's in high school golf.  He is going to a state university and playing on a club team.  If you want to go to a large school to play, playing on the school club team could be your ticket.  They travel and play other schools on their own dime.  There is very good golf on Club Teams.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 14 December 2016 - 10:31 AM.

#3 QuickFeet

QuickFeet

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68520
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 842

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:51 AM

Write the letters to the schools you have an interest in........academics first, playing golf second.

Be detailed in your competitive playing history and stroke average. Provide a schedule of the competitions (higher the level the better) you plan to play for the coming year and what your plan is to drop your scoring average X number of strokes.  Don't forget to "sell yourself" the best you can.......why would you be a good addition to their golf program.

If you get some responses back good for you.  If not, you'll know where you stand and may have to "walk-on" to showcase your talent.

Good luck!
TaylorMade M2 10.5o / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Nike Vr Pro 5W / UST VTS 7R Silver
Callaway Apex 3/20o / UST Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23o / UST Recoil 760 ES F3
Nike Covert Forged 4-PW / UST Recoil 95 F3
Nike Engage 58 Wedge / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby 54 M Series + Wedge / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Vr Forged 50 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Nike Origin B2-01
Nike RZN Tour Black

#4 Texsport

Texsport

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196
GolfWRX Likes : 1030

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:40 PM

It's a good idea to go to a school with a smaller golf team to maximize your playing time.

Big schools often have very competitive qualifying within the group - as in 15 players on the team, but only top 5 go to each tournament.

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 14 December 2016 - 12:40 PM.

Callaway EPIC SubZero 10.5*/Fubuki K 70X
Titleist 915 15*/Fubuki K 80X (OR) Tour Edge CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S (OR) Scratch JMO Grind Don White 50*/DG X-100
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 62*/DG S-200 (OR) Scratch JMO Grind Don White 60*/DG X-100
Bettinardi Studio Stock #16 (OR) MannKrafted Brass Big Boy

#5 umassgolfer

umassgolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58186
  • Ebay ID:frstbaseman18
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:08 PM

There are a few members here who have either gone through the recruitment process themselves or their children have/are doing so now. It might be a good idea to find some of them by searching similar topics on the forums and asking them for a conversation with you about their experiences.

And, from what I can gather, getting a competitive resume out to coaches is a good first step.

The club golf option is good advice, too. That was how I kept busy at school - we still played a good amount of practice and tournament golf but our daily schedule was not nearly as regimented as varsity athletes' were.

#6 BWISE10

BWISE10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:34 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 14 December 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

If you are a junior already, you are behind the 8 ball.  Reaching out to coaches should have been done back in your freshman year.  Many of the D1 schools are already done recruiting for the class of 2018.  

I would look here to see where you fall.  You need to be realistic at what level you are at.  

To put it into more perspective.  A buddies son of mine has a 0.6 handicap.  Lives in Florida and was recruited by no one.  He shoots high 70's in tournament golf, mid to low 70's in high school golf.  He is going to a state university and playing on a club team.  If you want to go to a large school to play, playing on the school club team could be your ticket.  They travel and play other schools on their own dime.  There is very good golf on Club Teams.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know if you saw but I was looking at d1 schools ranked lower on the golf stat ranking (around 250 out of 280). Do you think that is a realistic goal? And if so I should start contacting them immediately even if my tournament scores aren't amazing?
Thanks

#7 GoPios25

GoPios25

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399228
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:48 PM

I play D3 college golf in the midwest. We went to nationals last year. Our top 5 guys' tournament scores are around 72-75 with a sub 70 most tournaments. If you want you play D1 golf, you realistically should've been playing AJGA tournaments for the past couple of years. I think the only way you could play D1 is if you choose a school, talk to the coach about trying out, and shoot a low qualifying score to walk on to the team. If you are looking for a scholarship, I'd start looking at D2

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:17 AM

View PostBWISE10, on 14 December 2016 - 09:34 PM, said:

Thanks for the advice. I don't know if you saw but I was looking at d1 schools ranked lower on the golf stat ranking (around 250 out of 280). Do you think that is a realistic goal? And if so I should start contacting them immediately even if my tournament scores aren't amazing?
Thanks

There aren't too many schools with those rankings that are bigger schools.  You could play at a school like St. Francis Pennsylvania which is D1, but it has less than 3,000 students.  Many of those schools aren't fully funded athletically for golf, so there is probably little to no scholarship money.

You need to email coaches your golf resume and try to plan a schedule that plays near those schools.  Schools like those have little to no recruiting budget.

#9 BWISE10

BWISE10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:23 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 15 December 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

View PostBWISE10, on 14 December 2016 - 09:34 PM, said:

Thanks

There aren't too many schools with those rankings that are bigger schools.  You could play at a school like St. Francis Pennsylvania which is D1, but it has less than 3,000 students.  Many of those schools aren't fully funded athletically for golf, so there is probably little to no scholarship money.

You need to email coaches your golf resume and try to plan a schedule that plays near those schools.  Schools like those have little to no recruiting budget.

Yeah thanks for your input. I wasn't looking at this school specifically but schools similar to this (around 5,000 or so students). I realize that a scholarship could be difficult, but my primary goal is to make the team.
Thanks

#10 dsales

dsales

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62564
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:24 PM

Top tier d1 programs spend majority of their time looking at AJGA rankings.  From their they have some similitaries of what they are looking for in a player, their relationship between family members and then have their preference to what they like to see in players.  

Very fortunate two work with two girls ranked inside top 20 in AJGA.  Have had numerous players receive scholarships, have built relationships with some college coaches during my coaching career.  I believe from my experiences that the road to D1 college golf goes thru AJGA.

As for you being a junior, had two players not receive opportunities until September of senior year. But they had two great summer seasons in AJGA. Because if that, they got ranked, got noticed and got offered opportunity.  

As for reaching out to schools, I for one don't recommend sending information out to top D1 schools.  Think it is counterproductive IMO.  Those two boys did that with their previous coaches with no success.  Our performance plan included them not reaching out to schools. It included things that they have control over.  We focused on the things they could control and that would lead to being noticed by coaches.  I suggest you do the same.

Put yourself in their shoes and think of it like this... how many emails do you think they get? How many players send them swings, results and their handicap?  How would you comb over all those emails to find good players?  

Here is quick recap from a college D2 coach:
- if player needs some type of recruiting services, probably not good enough
- if player I have never heard of, does well in AJGA event, I am intrigued
- end of day, if kid is shooting 70-74, has the skills we will hear about them.  Keep working with your performance coach and your results in events will get noticed.  Just play in the right events.

Hope this helps.  If you have more questions, fire away.

Director of Golf Performance
www.DennisSalesGolf.com
Helping golfers achieve their goals by improving on-course performance.  Lucky to work with some elite junior golfers.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 gbreezy93

gbreezy93

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 421278
  • Handicap:+4
  • Ebay ID:gbreezy12
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

Don't worry as much about going to a D1 school, go to a school where you will have a chance to play a lot of tournaments, but not a place that you will step in an be the best player. Need to find the balance of playing as many events as possible, but also some other good players to compete with every day in practice.

Not enough can be said about the importance of being able to play a lot of events. A lot of times kids go to schools where they are not able to crack the lineup for a couple years and end up losing some interest over the course of the time they aren't competing and are just practicing endlessly only to stay home come tournament time.

There are some great D2 and D3 schools that could compete with a lot of D1 schools. Golf is different from other sports where the competition is always the golf course and not necessarily the other players. A 66 is still a 66 no matter who else is playing that day!

#12 priceless

priceless

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24073
GolfWRX Likes : 186

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

I can not offer any advice that has not already been stated, other than to say--graduate and make sure that you leave with a degree in hand.   Its great to play college golf (I can only assume), but never forget that you are there for an education.

Edited by priceless, 24 January 2017 - 10:58 AM.

#13 disco111

disco111

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 386826
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:N/A
GolfWRX Likes : 418

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

You still have an outside chance at a D1, but only if you can show something of significance. You have another year of HS, so if you are the teams #1 player and you win some tournaments, that's a start. Enter city / state am's and finish high or win. Other than this, you are way behind the so called power curve. Just because you want a D1 school, does not mean your ready for one. If you have the chance, go D2 or 3 and get an education. If your ultimate goal is to play pro, it really does not matter what school you went to, you still have to shoot low numbers and qualify. I wish you the best, but it's time to really review your position and look at it realistically.

#14 BHerschberger

BHerschberger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206893
  • Handicap:+1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

Do you know which school he plays club golf for in Florida? I attend UF and was the old president of the club team here and am currently on the club team so I'm interested to see if it is someone I recruited to join! But club golf is a great way to play competitive golf while attending a larger university. There is still a lot of good competition, but it also allows you to focus on school when you need to.

#15 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:48 AM

View PostBHerschberger, on 25 January 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

Do you know which school he plays club golf for in Florida? I attend UF and was the old president of the club team here and am currently on the club team so I'm interested to see if it is someone I recruited to join! But club golf is a great way to play competitive golf while attending a larger university. There is still a lot of good competition, but it also allows you to focus on school when you need to.

UCF

#16 BWISE10

BWISE10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

Yeah thanks for the response. I looked at my ranking and it isn''t that great right now. (about 5000). So I am shooting for a low tier d1 school. However, if that doesn't work out, I am fine with club golf as it seems like there is still very good competition as others have said in this thread. Also, I might be able to go to a better school as well.

#17 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

Here is an interesting stat I saw somewhere yesterday.

If you have a 4.0 only 94% of the colleges can recruit you.
If you have a 3.5 only 72% of the colleges can recruit you.
If you have a 3.0 only 51% of the colleges can recruit you.
If you have a 2.5 only 21%
If you have a 2.0 only 8%

#18 garf0404

garf0404

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246897
  • Handicap:+2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:19 PM

I played club golf at UF With BHerschberger and was in the same boat as you mentioned above.. had opportunities coming out of high school for smaller schools up north and club golf was definitely a way better decision in mho. Good Luck!
TaylorMade M2 TI 9.7* - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX
TaylorMade M2 TI HL 16.5* Diamana Blueboard Proto 80 TX
TaylorMade RSI UDI 2 iron- DG AMT X100
TaylorMade Rac TP MB 3-PW- DGTI x100
Titleist SM5 Blue Indigo- 53*M / 59M - DGTI S400
Scotty Cameron- Custom Matte Black NP 2 34"

#19 tmgolf25

tmgolf25

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101412
  • Handicap:+1.5
  • Ebay ID:b1gg2594
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

View PostGoPios25, on 14 December 2016 - 11:48 PM, said:

I play D3 college golf in the midwest. We went to nationals last year. Our top 5 guys' tournament scores are around 72-75 with a sub 70 most tournaments. If you want you play D1 golf, you realistically should've been playing AJGA tournaments for the past couple of years. I think the only way you could play D1 is if you choose a school, talk to the coach about trying out, and shoot a low qualifying score to walk on to the team. If you are looking for a scholarship, I'd start looking at D2

Not to be that guy, but the school I play at plays against you and this is very far from the truth. You only had someone on your team break 80 5 times the entire fall season....
Epic SZ 9*
Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 Tour 13.5*
Nike Vapor FlyPro 2 iron
Apex Pro/Apex MB
MD3 Milled
Scotty SS Fastback 1

#20 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:51 PM

View Posttmgolf25, on 29 March 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

View PostGoPios25, on 14 December 2016 - 11:48 PM, said:

Not to be that guy, but the school I play at plays against you and this is very far from the truth. You only had someone on your team break 80 5 times the entire fall season....

Ouch.  Carroll University Pioneers?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 BWISE10

BWISE10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

As I am starting to hear back from schools I thought I would update this thread. I have added a handful of scores in the 73-76 range, but nothing too impressive. I am leaning more towards D2 and D3 as I am going to college for the education and don't want to be overwhelmed by golf. All of those schools, the coaches have been in contact with me and I would be able to play on their team. That being said, I actually have had a number of division 1 schools interested in me. None were big state schools, but some pretty big names and even down south. However, a lot of d1 schools finish recruiting during your junior year. My advice to anyone else trying to play D1 is to reach out early. I knew people with worse tournament scores, but committed early to the coach and were able to play on the team. A lot of coaches for D1 want you to apply ED which can be difficult to do financially as it is binding. I am still waiting for acceptances, but it looks like I will be going to a d2/d3 school and playing for them. I did apply to some d1 schools as well, majority I would do club, but a couple have said I would have a spot on their team. My advice to anyone else trying to play in college is to start early. D1 coaches like to finish recruiting by the end of junior year so keep that in mind.

#22 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
GolfWRX Likes : 790

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

Best of luck to you in this process BWISE10 but select an education that will benefit you and make you happy for the next 40 years, not the next 4!  Just some friendly advice.

Someone close to me was in a similar dilemma as you a few years ago.  He had competed and was very successful in some major junior tournaments all over the continental US but didn't garner much attention from D1 schools.  He chose to go to the university of his choice rather than base the decision on golf.  While at the University of Georgia, he chose to play on the Club Team.  Four years of excitement, great golf, great friends, and great trips followed.

Oh, and the 2016 National Championship as well!

https://nextgengolf.org

Attached Files

#23 BWISE10

BWISE10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

View PostSixcat, on 05 January 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

Best of luck to you in this process BWISE10 but select an education that will benefit you and make you happy for the next 40 years, not the next 4!  Just some friendly advice.

Someone close to me was in a similar dilemma as you a few years ago.  He had competed and was very successful in some major junior tournaments all over the continental US but didn't garner much attention from D1 schools.  He chose to go to the university of his choice rather than base the decision on golf.  While at the University of Georgia, he chose to play on the Club Team.  Four years of excitement, great golf, great friends, and great trips followed.

Oh, and the 2016 National Championship as well!

https://nextgengolf.org

Yes, I completely agree. I am looking for an education, but being able to play golf is a nice bonus. I have pretty good grades, so I'm trying to get into Notre Dame and Georgetown, both of which I would play club. Would these club teams be fully funded, or would I have to pay at all to be on them?

#24 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
GolfWRX Likes : 790

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

I’m not sure they are “fully funded” so you would have some cost. I will talk to John and get back to you with more information.

#25 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

For boys especially you better be playing good enough that your thinking that you might make the PGA tour soon. If your not at that level looking for a golf scholarship is a hard road. For girls I believe it is easier but my daughter is 11 and she is already talking to D1 Colleges and has even been invited to events at her age.  

How are your academic studies? Have you thought about want you want to do after college.  I would focus on those aspects instead of trying to play college golf. Play golf in college but just do it for fun and meeting people you will be far better off.

#26 BWISE10

BWISE10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 05 January 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

For boys especially you better be playing good enough that your thinking that you might make the PGA tour soon. If your not at that level looking for a golf scholarship is a hard road. For girls I believe it is easier but my daughter is 11 and she is already talking to D1 Colleges and has even been invited to events at her age.  

How are your academic studies? Have you thought about want you want to do after college.  I would focus on those aspects instead of trying to play college golf. Play golf in college but just do it for fun and meeting people you will be far better off.

That is where I am at now. I would like to play college golf, but care more about the education. I have pretty good grades and golf can help me get into some prestigious smaller schools with good business schools. I started this thread a year ago and have pretty much figured out what I want to do. I just wanted to update it now that I have finished applying and gotten some acceptances and interest from coaches.

#27 hardcorelooper

hardcorelooper

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446740
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:45 PM

BWISE10 - Thank you very much for starting this thread and for bringing it up to date.  I'm not sure that I'll need to worry about this with my kids, but it's good to know this in advance if they decide to be serious about the game.

Also tagged with College, Golf, Junior, Tournament, Scores

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors