Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Competitive Vs. Casual.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 EJM-67

EJM-67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43054
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:10 PM

Hi this is my first post, and im hoping to get some opinions... I'm 18 and took up golf seriously about 2.5 - 3 years ago. im down to a 7 handicap in a short time and never had lessons and this spring i will be playing golf competitively for the first time in my local community college (nothing special but still competitive). ive always played casual rounds and was wondering what will happen to my game when i play competitive. will i choke or finally be focused enough to  get even lower? THANKS in advance.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 beachgrovejunior

beachgrovejunior

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24446
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:16 PM

you will most likely shoot higher, at least for the first couple rounds, due to it being new to you

#3 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:23 PM

I think you will initially shoot higher because it is new but after a short time this more serious play will cause you to become better.  

One word of caution - watch out for the rules nazis.  These are not people who believe in following the rules, but instead these are people who are looking at everything you do as an opportunity to gain a few strokes advantage for themselves.  The worst rules nazis are the people who think they know the rules but really don't.  On the amateur tours, about one in ten people are rules nazis.  Hopefully in college this is not the case.  Just make sure going in that you know the rules, or ask for help if you don't.  

Just don't get sucked in by this.

Edited by atlanta golfer, 11 February 2008 - 09:31 PM.

#4 LimestoneGolfer1

LimestoneGolfer1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43028

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:24 PM

i think its more of a mental thing than anything

#5 Pdougherty

Pdougherty

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24708

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:29 PM

View Postbeachgrovejunior, on Feb 11 2008, 09:16 PM, said:

you will most likely shoot higher, at least for the first couple rounds, due to it being new to you

Yeah plus if you're unfamiliar with the course you'll shoot higher. Gotta hate blind shots on course you aren't familiar with. That certainly raises the score.

#6 nuffy12

nuffy12

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11216

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:57 AM

I always shoot higher in casual, i don't concentrate half as much. Maybe it will happen for you also.

#7 k-unit

k-unit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2288

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:06 AM

this is the similar case for me.  When i play casual rounds i generally just play, and there is no real consistancy.  I have shot my lowest rounds in casual play and my highest too. the competition makes you focus and i generally shoot better rounds. Thats how it is for me at least

#8 EJM-67

EJM-67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43054

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:01 PM

thanks for the thoughts guys... answer this for me... whos lowest round was during competition and whos lowest was during casual?? id like to see some numbers too! thanks

#9 Ryan_Less

Ryan_Less

Ryan Less*

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45167

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:12 PM

View Postnuffy12, on Feb 12 2008, 02:57 AM, said:

I always shoot higher in casual, i don't concentrate half as much. Maybe it will happen for you also.

I agree... I have allways played better in tourneys

#10 scottycam234

scottycam234

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40551

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:23 PM

I agree with most of the people here.  However, it's different with everyone.  Personally, I concentrate more and go low.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 superfaced

superfaced

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51266

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:54 PM

On a familiar course that I've played casually on... when I compete, I shoot better than casual.

Competing on an unfamiliar course vs a casual round on the same course... competition round is generally worse.

#12 projamie

projamie

2 iron in the MBs? Could have alot of fun with that...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26139

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:26 PM

I think its down to nerves and mental attitude really... 90% of the people that play in comp are of a decent standard, its just how they hold up conciously or sub conciously....

I play the guitar and bass to a grade 8 standard (scratch in terms of golf lol) and drums at grade 7 (low handicap lol) and whenver i play a gig now i still get a bit nervous and miss a note or what ever and its the same with golf, you mite miss a couple of putts or hook one here and there... Back in the day when i did my first couple of gigs i didnt know how to handle myself but now its second nature...

When im practicing by myself ill play little solos or hit shots that i would never do playin in comp or at a gig but thats how it is becuase your more relaxed when theres no preassure... where as iv gone out in comps and ripped up the course and played gigs perfect by feeding off the preasure...

I think after a while you will mature but to start with dont be downhearted if you shoot 30 over! Just keep at it and it will come! I can recommend Dr Bob Rotellas books, great for improving your play in comps... Iv been playing shocking lately, read his book, went out and shot the best round of the year!

Projamie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors