Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hinge and Hold Short Game Technique

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mj49

mj49

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442238
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:30 PM

Hi all,

I’ve been practicing my short game using Mickelson’s hinge and hold technique. Just had a couple of newbie related questions.

1.    Is he using the term chipping to refer to both chipping and pitching. I know some people say there is a distinction where chipping is bounce and run shot whereas pitching is a shot that stays in the air longer. I’m assuming when he goes into the the 30/50 yard “chip” shots, these are in reality pitch shots?

2.    I’ve been having some consistency issues striking the ball; I’m hinging wrists and then doing a putting body motion. Keeping the lower body fairly still, and rocking the shoulders. This is for like 10-15 yard shot. Is this the correct overall movement? I’m having a hard time conceptualizing the hinge as well. In a normal golf shot, one would never break the wrist and do a backward hinge of the wrists, then why is it applied to short yard shot?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 925
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 452

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:53 PM

1.  For all shots, but less hinge for chip shots....if you did a full hinge it would be very difficult to control your speed enough to only fly the ball a few feet and roll out

2.  the movement is a pronation of the forearms and a backwards bending of the right wrist. it's basically a normal backswing with a quicker hinge...and yes you should be hinging on the backswing, just most people don't like to hinge so much and so quickly for a full swing as it feels really quick and awkward. The downswing should consist of a slight shift from the lower body...basically everything you do in a full swing except quicker with the wrist hinge and shorter with the arm swing.

On a side note....this is not an easy method..it has it's purpose but using the bounce gives you much more room for error.  When you hinge/hold you are only working with the leading edge and it's very easy to skull or chunk it if you aren't precise, plus it can be hard to judge distance unless you practice with it a lot.
Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY:  Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid:  Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

#3 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 2423

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:56 PM

IMO, youre struggling because there's something missing in Phil's video.  He doesn't discuss pivot, knee work, body rotation and overall connection.  He clearly does it, but does not emphasize these critical aspects in his videos. It works much better if you stay connected and employ a gentle pivot.  Static lower body/all arms is a recipe for disaster.
USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

#4 Joelness

Joelness

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 370151
  • Ebay ID:full_lifey
GolfWRX Likes : 188

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:02 PM

My $.02..... Short game has to be taught in person, especially concerning the basics of the primary shots and theories.  The biggest thing I can say is to find someone local. In this case it doesn't have to be a PGA pro, but at least someone that is <4 hcp.

Short game more than any other part has many subtle nuances and adjustments you can make in order to hit different trajectories. The key to short game is controlling trajectory. All the subtle nuances such as shaft lean, body lean, wrist hinge, etc. are what controls trajectory. It REALLY helps to have hands on with someone that knows and can help the subtle feelings that change all of these variables.

Edited by Joelness, 05 December 2016 - 06:02 PM.

Ping G30 LS Tec Tour AD DI-7x
Titleist 913F 15* Diamana D+ 82g X
Titleist 913h 17* Diamana D+ 102g X
Titleist 690 4-PW KBS C-Taper 125 S+
Titleist Vokey SM-6 50*, 54*, 60* Project X 6.5
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop 2014 Select Newport 2

#5 mj49

mj49

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:07 PM

Good info thanks guys. I am planning on taking lessons, do you guys know which method most pga pros teach? Just so I can familiarize myself before hand.

#6 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:22 PM

View Postmj49, on 05 December 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

Good info thanks guys. I am planning on taking lessons, do you guys know which method most pga pros teach? Just so I can familiarize myself before hand.

I would ask the pro before signing up for a lesson....a large majority will teach somewhere between hinge/hold and using the bounce...usually use leading edge for chips and bounce for pitches.  Quite honestly, look up Monte Scheinblum's video on using the bounce and Wedge it close...he has them on sale right now and I think you will find them very beneficial, especially use the bounce.

Stan Utley is another bounce guy but I found his method to be a little too rounded and manipulative for my liking.

#7 mj49

mj49

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:40 PM

You know, I did purchase and watch Montes video. But using the bounce seems so awkward to me from close distance. The feeling of going throw a full swing motion but at slow speed throws me off.

#8 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:51 PM

for shorter shots use a smaller swing or use less loft for a lower shot...it can feel weird at first but once you get used to it, it's sooo much easier to hit quality shots, especially if you don't get to work on it all the time.

#9 hurricanes7

hurricanes7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72127
GolfWRX Likes : 737

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:04 PM

how exactly does he hinge and hold
DRIVER-  Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
3 WOOD- GBB Epic  Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
HYBRID-  Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
IRONS- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
GAP- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
SAND- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
LOB- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
PUTTER-  Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
BALL-   Callaway Chrome Soft X

#10 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:18 PM

Who?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 NCHACK85

NCHACK85

Dropping Putts and Hitting Darts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340841
  • Handicap:Beer
GolfWRX Likes : 226

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:07 PM

View Postmj49, on 05 December 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

You know, I did purchase and watch Montes video. But using the bounce seems so awkward to me from close distance. The feeling of going throw a full swing motion but at slow speed throws me off.

You don't have to use a full swing. You can use chest and waist high. Just do the follow through to the top of you have a habit of stalling the trail arm. If it's really close l, you can use the chipping motion he shows you where you stand closer to the ball and ball off the back big toe and the club is a little raised/ on its toe. All you have to do is keep trail arm moving until after the ball is gone and let it release.

Edited by NCHACK85, 05 December 2016 - 08:08 PM.

#12 dlam

dlam

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107490
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:53 AM

View Postmj49, on 05 December 2016 - 05:30 PM, said:

Hi all,

Iíve been practicing my short game using Mickelsonís hinge and hold technique. Just had a couple of newbie related questions.

1.       Is he using the term chipping to refer to both chipping and pitching. I know some people say there is a distinction where chipping is bounce and run shot whereas pitching is a shot that stays in the air longer. Iím assuming when he goes into the the 30/50 yard ďchipĒ shots, these are in reality pitch shots?

2.       Iíve been having some consistency issues striking the ball; Iím hinging wrists and then doing a putting body motion. Keeping the lower body fairly still, and rocking the shoulders. This is for like 10-15 yard shot. Is this the correct overall movement? Iím having a hard time conceptualizing the hinge as well. In a normal golf shot, one would never break the wrist and do a backward hinge of the wrists, then why is it applied to short yard shot?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

In his DVD I think he uses the term flop/lob to distinguish that from  chipping.  The big difference is the release is full in the flop/lob whereas in chipping the release is "held off" or he calls it the "hinge and hold"

From 50 yards away I believe he calls it pitching which I think he describes it as just a long chip shot   It  looks like a longer version of the  H&H

#13 SurfDuffer

SurfDuffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123677
  • Location:A long Par 5 from the Atlantic Ocean and a long Par 3 from the Bay.
GolfWRX Likes : 942

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:19 AM

Trying to use Phil's video screwed me up for about 2 seasons.  Tom Watson't videos fixed it.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P  6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

#14 Joelness

Joelness

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:17 AM

There's a large part of this bounce vs. stub that I'm reading above that I think needs some clarification. Each one has it's place depending on the grass (and lie) you're playing on.

Here in Colorado it's more useful to have a more downward strike with the hands forward using the leading edge more.  That's because we have bent and poa annua grasses.

Try those shots on into the grain bermuda and you're going to be one angry person. Even for a guy like me that practices 6 days a week I will still stub a chip 3 feet every couple of rounds when i try my stock leading edge bump and run in Florida.

Having said that, the methods that use more bounce to the shot (i.e. less or no forward shaft lean) are going to be more versatile on all types of grasses. Also, you're always going to need to know those shots to be consistent on tight lies on all grasses. Therefore, if you're not going to learn consistency with all of the shots (i.e. how to manipulate shaft lean and angle of attack at impact) then you will have better luck in the long run using the bounce a bit more.

Edited by Joelness, 06 December 2016 - 09:18 AM.

#15 NCHACK85

NCHACK85

Dropping Putts and Hitting Darts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340841
  • Handicap:Beer
GolfWRX Likes : 226

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:34 AM

View PostJoelness, on 06 December 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

There's a large part of this bounce vs. stub that I'm reading above that I think needs some clarification. Each one has it's place depending on the grass (and lie) you're playing on.

Here in Colorado it's more useful to have a more downward strike with the hands forward using the leading edge more.  That's because we have bent and poa annua grasses.

Try those shots on into the grain bermuda and you're going to be one angry person. Even for a guy like me that practices 6 days a week I will still stub a chip 3 feet every couple of rounds when i try my stock leading edge bump and run in Florida.

Having said that, the methods that use more bounce to the shot (i.e. less or no forward shaft lean) are going to be more versatile on all types of grasses. Also, you're always going to need to know those shots to be consistent on tight lies on all grasses. Therefore, if you're not going to learn consistency with all of the shots (i.e. how to manipulate shaft lean and angle of attack at impact) then you will have better luck in the long run using the bounce a bit more.

If you don't mind me being the Devils advocate, then why don't you just use the bounce? You can use it for all grass and lies? Granted the bump and run is different, but you could spend less time and put the time saved into something that needs work on. Unless you're like me, I've spent time using the bounce on 9 and 8i just to see how it will look and I've use it during the round.

#16 dap

dap

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35223
GolfWRX Likes : 396

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:19 AM

Phil uses a 60 deg wedge with a wide sole for his hinge and hold. It's the wide sole that prevents the club digging and not so much the bounce. Phil reckons for a 60 deg wedge it doesn't matter if the bounce is 6 or 12 deg. If you watch Phil hinge and hold, the club never digs.

#17 swhogan35

swhogan35

Teaching Professional

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 331989
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

I don't see really any players that use the hinge and hold method that are any good.  Of late I have seen Phil doing less of it as well.  Best short game players freely use their wrists and I longer shots or high lobs have a very similar look to the golf swing in terms of sequence and overall motion.  Hinge and hold is a great way to dig the leading edge and lead to shanking chips.

#18 Joelness

Joelness

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:42 AM

View PostNCHACK85, on 06 December 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

View PostJoelness, on 06 December 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

If you don't mind me being the Devils advocate, then why don't you just use the bounce? You can use it for all grass and lies? Granted the bump and run is different, but you could spend less time and put the time saved into something that needs work on. Unless you're like me, I've spent time using the bounce on 9 and 8i just to see how it will look and I've use it during the round.

Great question and I'm glad you asked. The full answer will take some time so bear with me if my condensed version isn't good enough. The shortest answer I can think of is to be the best golfer you can be you need to have all tools in the bag.

First off, I misspoke just a little. You can use a more bouncy shot for all grass and most lies BUT that doesn't mean it's going to be the most consistent shot selected in all scenarios you will face. A more bouncy shot will 1. tend to be a mid to higher lofted shot and 2. does not minimize the amount of grass between your clubface and the ball at impact.

Speaking more on 1 above: I have grown up being taught that the lowest trajectory shot and the smallest swing will produce the most consistency (by default also room for error). Hence, shots that tend to fly further are not my first option.

Speaking more about number 2: Consistency in short game shots is always helped by minimizing this, the biggest X factor in short game. The steeper you get, the more you will minimize getting grass between the clubface and the ball.

One last thing, you mentioned spending less time and put it into something that needs work.  I can't speak for everyone, but once you get to the bogey-golf skill level and better I think I can say this without hesitation... Everyone would save the most shots by working on short game (including putting) over the full swing. Nobody, even the best in the world, hits it well every day.  The biggest key to this game is saving pars when you're missing greens.

Edited by Joelness, 06 December 2016 - 12:03 PM.

#19 David C

David C

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66728
GolfWRX Likes : 237

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:47 PM

He doesn't 'hold' anything and 'uses the bounce'. He accelerates his lead hand faster, as opposed to his trail hand or pivot, and his low point is more opposite his lead shoulder and not constantly moving with his right elbow; his ball position is more forward therefore, but he absolutely uses the bounce.

If you look at his wedges and the wedges he has collorated with callaway on, they range from low to high bounce, but all have a certain camber and even the low effective bounce wedges (even more so actually) have a high bounce angle.

As he says and as you can see on video when he says 'hold' he means 'accelerate going through'.

Stan Utley, Brett Rumford - same if not more shaft lean than Phil Mickelson. From what I see, they just keep the right hand moving as it works under, from a more central ball position as opposed to left.

#20 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 2423

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:16 PM

View PostDavid C, on 06 December 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

He doesn't 'hold' anything and 'uses the bounce'. He accelerates his lead hand faster, as opposed to his trail hand or pivot, and his low point is more opposite his lead shoulder and not constantly moving with his right elbow; his ball position is more forward therefore, but he absolutely uses the bounce.

If you look at his wedges and the wedges he has collorated with callaway on, they range from low to high bounce, but all have a certain camber and even the low effective bounce wedges (even more so actually) have a high bounce angle.

As he says and as you can see on video when he says 'hold' he means 'accelerate going through'.

Stan Utley, Brett Rumford - same if not more shaft lean than Phil Mickelson. From what I see, they just keep the right hand moving as it works under, from a more central ball position as opposed to left.

Agreed, and he also does not have a still/static lower body nor does he use any motion similar to a putting stroke.  

His upper arms are connected to his torso slightly down from arm pits, and he uses body rotation as well as arm motion.  This means the lower body needs to be engaged and you have to keep the motion/rotation going.  Do it right and you create a nice flat spot at the bottom of the swing arc.

Keeping your legs and body static, or even stalling midway thru and just using hands and arms typically results in a higher probability of chunks and skulls.

USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 bassman1308

bassman1308

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24541
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:35 PM

I use, what I understand, as the fundamentals of the hinge and hold.  Feet close together, slightly open, weight forward, ball off back foot. I take away LOW with a VERY quick right wrist set and rotate through the ball with my body, lead hand dominant. For short chips, your hands will not move off the ball much at all. Just break your wrists, keep them set and rotate through. Hands must finish ahead of club. Normally use 52* but If ball sitting down or heavy rough, use 60*/64*.   I play a lot and practice to spots in my back yard ,  My up & downs are around 75%.  That's up to 30 yards.  IMO , the secret is making consistent contact and this style works great for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors