Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Apple Watch for Golf

172 replies to this topic

#151 RLL33

RLL33

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171779
  • Handicap:7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

I just got the new Apple Watch 3, and I'm trying to find a GPS app for it this week. I tried Track My Golf, and I don't know what it is, but's not a Golf GPS app in the standard sense. I'm in the middle of a back and forth Support thread with them, but apparently you have to enter any course you're playing manually before you play -- including distances from each color tee!!! (If I wanted to do that, I'd spend the time I spend playing golf making yardage books...) Their Support is awful, too. I get back cryptic responses like, "Read the instructions."  For any concerned here, there is no basic instruction on how to start using the app for a first time...  It's basically a brick on the AW-3. So I'm about to delete it and try one of the others like Golfshot.

FWIW, I've been using the both the Garmin S20 and the Vivo HR and like them very much. Just thought it would be nice if I could do everything from the AW. The Vivo in particular is fabulous. It's always giving you exact RT yardages, and you swipe right to see layups as well as a color rendering of each green. One button press to measure shot distance on any shot, too. Totally intuitive and non-distracting to use, and it also shows notifications from your iPhone in a small window superimposed at the top of the screen.

Any further app suggestions from anyone using the AW-3 would be appreciated. I don't need to keep score on the watch, but I do like to measure shot distances and get Fr/Ctr/Back readings to greens from anywhere.

Thx!

Seven MCB 4-AW

A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105
Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin
Ryoma P3

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#152 Augustok

Augustok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435478
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

I’m planning to buy a AW3 because my garmin is on last legs for same reason to have just one simple thing mostly for front back middle..  It doesn’t seem like the apps are good enough yet for the Apple Watch from reading all the comments on this topic.  I’ve been waiting for the AW3 hoping for improvements.  I also want an app that doesn’t use a lot of data because we no longer have unlimited on our Verizon plan.   My comment not much use to you, it was too busy at my Apple store yesterday to buy the watch, but hope there are more comments soon. And after I do get it will try a few.

#153 aadadams

aadadams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 373417
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:11 AM

I came from the Garmin S6 to the AW2, and I've had the same opinion about the level of performance of the available apps. I'm playing tomorrow, and will try out Fun Golf given the recent update. Sadly, you have to pay to get the features, I want... hazards, FMB, scoring and the like. I will buy a month of service to evaluate the app at $4.50 I think.

#154 RLL33

RLL33

Advanced

• 252 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, I popped for Golf Shot Plus and will be trying it out this weekend.

BTW, FWIW, here is an exact transcript of the last message I received from the Track My Golf "support" people:

"We not what more to say, the app description explains the features and functions the app provides clearly."

Seven MCB 4-AW

Ryoma P3

#155 aadadams

aadadams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

Wow, now that's anti-customer service!

#156 Atlantagolf

Atlantagolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44525
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostYanki01, on 25 September 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

View PostAtlantagolf, on 25 September 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

That maybe the difference - I will try keeping Bluetooth on and only rely on the watch GPS when I venture away from the cart.

per Golfshot - you're supposed to turn OFF the bluetooth from your iPhone but leave it ON your AW so it uses your AW GPS while walking to your ball and not your iPhone.

https://golfshotgps....ory/apple-watch

I have tried that for several rounds now and the AW goes to sleep and looses sat connection.  Sometimes it is close to a minute before it gains signal.  VERY FRUSTRATING.  I am used to a Garmin watch where all I have to do is glance down to get the yardage.

#157 jpdx

jpdx

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430484
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:58 AM

View PostAtlantagolf, on 29 September 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

That maybe the difference - I will try keeping Bluetooth on and only rely on the watch GPS when I venture away from the cart.

per Golfshot - you're supposed to turn OFF the bluetooth from your iPhone but leave it ON your AW so it uses your AW GPS while walking to your ball and not your iPhone.

I have tried that for several rounds now and the AW goes to sleep and looses sat connection.  Sometimes it is close to a minute before it gains signal.  VERY FRUSTRATING.  I am used to a Garmin watch where all I have to do is glance down to get the yardage.

Do you mean it goes back to the clock face? Set your settings to last app used. I use hole 19 without the phone and although a little slower, it works fine. Ive used it over seas with no issues other than a few second delay, With phone on airplane mode
Nike Vapor Flex 440 driver 12.5* Diamana Blueboard
Nike Vapor Fly 3 wood 15* Diamana Blueboard
Nike Vapor Fly 3 hybrid 20* Diamana Blueboard
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-AW DG Pro S300
Nike Engage 54* SS and 58* DS
Nike Method Matter m4-12
Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

back up/other bag in progress
Nike Vapor Pro driver 9.5* Diamana Blueboard
Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 wood stock r flex shaft
Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 hybrid stock r flex haft

Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW DG s300
Cleveland cg15 54* and 58*

Nike Method Origin b2-01

#158 Atlantagolf

Atlantagolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

View Postjpdx, on 02 October 2017 - 05:58 AM, said:

Do you mean it goes back to the clock face? Set your settings to last app used. I use hole 19 without the phone and although a little slower, it works fine. Ive used it over seas with no issues other than a few second delay, With phone on airplane mode

No it doesn't go back to the watch, it comes up in the application.  But it then has to reestablish connection to the SAT signal which takes several seconds.  I am looking for a fix/option that keeps the SAT on/established.

#159 TScottTX

TScottTX

Oldie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37245
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:52 AM

View PostAtlantagolf, on 02 October 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

View Postjpdx, on 02 October 2017 - 05:58 AM, said:

No it doesn't go back to the watch, it comes up in the application.  But it then has to reestablish connection to the SAT signal which takes several seconds.  I am looking for a fix/option that keeps the SAT on/established.

Give Fun Golf GPS a try.  Less than a second to reestablish SAT, standalone app on AW S3 Cellular - no iPhone needed and great vector maps of the hole you are playing allowing measurement to any point on the hole.  18 holes today on LTE, 2 phone calls, email and a couple of messages and finished with 34% battery.  Current version is having trouble on some par 3's but they say will be fixed soon.

#160 aadadams

aadadams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:12 AM

I'd echo the Fun Golf suggestion. I've only played one round with it on a course that was undergoing renovation but the app did quite well. Yardages popped up within a few seconds of looking at the watch. Managing score, hazard distances and etc was very easy... Though I had to get used to using the crown for manipulations. Rather than buy the month, I bought the year on the off chance that I'd like it... kinda glad I did but am still very curious about Golfshot.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#161 ParHunter

ParHunter

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121249
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:53 AM

View PostTScottTX, on 02 October 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

Current version is having trouble on some par 3's but they say will be fixed soon.

I noticed that the other day on the first par 3 our our course. The distance looked okay but it wasn't showing a green. Is that the problem you are talking about?

#162 TScottTX

TScottTX

Oldie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:18 AM

View PostParHunter, on 04 October 2017 - 05:53 AM, said:

View PostTScottTX, on 02 October 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

Current version is having trouble on some par 3's but they say will be fixed soon.

I noticed that the other day on the first par 3 our our course. The distance looked okay but it wasn't showing a green. Is that the problem you are talking about?

Yes, for me the distance shown was actually the back tee distances rather from where I was standing.  I contacted them and they said a fix was underway.

#163 Atlantagolf

Atlantagolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

Give Fun Golf GPS a try.  Less than a second to reestablish SAT, standalone app on AW S3 Cellular - no iPhone needed and great vector maps of the hole you are playing allowing measurement to any point on the hole.  18 holes today on LTE, 2 phone calls, email and a couple of messages and finished with 34% battery.  Current version is having trouble on some par 3's but they say will be fixed soon.

Is there a version for the AW 2?

#164 RLL33

RLL33

Advanced

• 252 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

Can you turn off the score keeping in Fun Golf?

I'll be trying Golf Shot Plus again this weekend. It worked fine with my AW3, but I really don't need the score keeping, I prefer to keep a scorecard, and you apparently can't turn that function off, at least in the current version of the app. Too bad because the graphics and accuracy work great with the AW3.

Seven MCB 4-AW

Ryoma P3

#165 TScottTX

TScottTX

Oldie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

View PostAtlantagolf, on 04 October 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

Is there a version for the AW 2?

Yes, same version.  Only difference is you would need iPhone to initially download the course info.  After that, leave phone at home or turn bluetooth off to use the GPS from the watch.

#166 TScottTX

TScottTX

Oldie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:02 PM

View PostRLL33, on 04 October 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

Keep score if you want otherwise it automatically tracks you on the course - lift wrist and get yardages for the hole you are on.

#167 RLL33

RLL33

Advanced

• 252 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

View PostTScottTX, on 04 October 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

Keep score if you want otherwise it automatically tracks you on the course - lift wrist and get yardages for the hole you are on.

Thank you! Got Fun Golf and used it yesterday. It's exactly what I've been looking for. Works perfectly on the AW3 -- it's quick, accurate, doesn't use much battery, and most importantly, I love the interface. It auto advances to next hole and doesn't force you to use it to keep score. Just give you distances, and the scroll feature allows you to zero in on any target precisely and intuitively without all the button hassle. It doesn't distract you from your game with its technology. It just quietly gives you exactly what you need. Great app for the AW golfer!

Seven MCB 4-AW

Ryoma P3

#168 jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 437752
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

View PostRLL33, on 08 October 2017 - 01:52 PM, said:

View PostTScottTX, on 04 October 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

Thank you! Got Fun Golf and used it yesterday. It's exactly what I've been looking for. Works perfectly on the AW3 -- it's quick, accurate, doesn't use much battery, and most importantly, I love the interface. It auto advances to next hole and doesn't force you to use it to keep score. Just give you distances, and the scroll feature allows you to zero in on any target precisely and intuitively without all the button hassle. It doesn't distract you from your game with its technology. It just quietly gives you exactly what you need. Great app for the AW golfer!

Do you have an AW3 with Cellular or just GPS?

Thanks
-Jay

#169 RLL33

RLL33

Advanced

• 252 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:06 AM

Cellular.

Seven MCB 4-AW

Ryoma P3

#170 jpdx

jpdx

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430484
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

downloaded and tried to use Fun Golf. I couldn't even download the course I was on. I think it's worth noting it's not a free app, and there is no free trial.

Nike Vapor Flex 440 driver 12.5* Diamana Blueboard
Nike Vapor Fly 3 wood 15* Diamana Blueboard
Nike Vapor Fly 3 hybrid 20* Diamana Blueboard
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-AW DG Pro S300
Nike Engage 54* SS and 58* DS
Nike Method Matter m4-12
Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

back up/other bag in progress
Nike Vapor Pro driver 9.5* Diamana Blueboard
Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 wood stock r flex shaft
Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 hybrid stock r flex haft

Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW DG s300
Cleveland cg15 54* and 58*

Nike Method Origin b2-01

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#171 aadadams

aadadams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

I have an AW2 with Fun Golf, I have to download the course on my phone, but have not had an issue where I could not get the course. Right after downloading the app there was a period where the phone and watch versions were not in sync... IE the phone new that I'd bought the app but the watch didn't... the issue self sorted with time... Other than that smooth sailing...

Edit: I went out this Sunday and had the worst of the par 3 issues and now have a better understanding of earlier reports of this issue. Standing on a par three the distance was 3 - 7 times longer than the hole and there was no image of the green (just black background).

Edited by aadadams, 16 October 2017 - 01:00 PM.

#172 bill1710

bill1710

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 453320
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:31 AM

I am using the Apple Watch series 2 with my arccos 360 and it works perfectly.
Taylormade M1 '17 8.5*
Cobra F7 3-4
Titleist 816 H2 19*
Srixon U45 23*
Ping ie1 5-UW
Ping Tour Gorge 54*, 58*
Odyssey O-Works #7

#173 AmpliFIRE

AmpliFIRE

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199498
  • Ebay ID:honeydog11
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

Do any of these apps track your handicap as well?
Callaway XR16 Pro 9.0 'Ahina 60 Stiff
Callaway XR16 4 Wood Speeder FW 565 Stiff
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid Kuro Kage Stiff
Srixon u65 23* PX 6.0
Srixon z765 5-AW DG 115 S
Fourteen Tour Raw 54 TF Forged 58;
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop "Seattle Seahawks" Select Newport 2

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors