pheenomz4774, on 16 August 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:
I have a big decision to make on this subject. I have the opportunity to get a free Bushnell NEO GPS Watch (rated well on this board and Amazon). I also perform other activities, so I was wondering if an Apple Watch could combine all the different watches I have (running, golf, etc) into one wearable device? I'm running out of outlets in my house to charge all of these devices between my wife's activities and mine.
I tried to use my phone for GPS on the course but the combination of the phone going to sleep and then messing the GPS up with the battery life never lasting through a 4.5 hour round (that's what we deal with in Florida) meant that it was more hassle than just guessing at the yardage.
Is there a golf app for the apple watch that
1. Just gives me the FMB distance to the pin and hazards without me having to cycle through menus and score tracking?
2. Works with just the AppleWatch and close proximity to the phone without having to constantly refresh the gps signal?
3. Will last through a 4.5 hour round?
P.S - I was also looking into the Garmin devices but think those are out of my price range.
Sounds like you don't currently have an AW. so if you purchased new, you'd be getting a series 2 with the built in GPS.
I've used hole19 for 36 holes with lots of battery life left multiple times. You open the app on the phone, and for me, it auto opens on the aw. from there you can if you choose, shut down the Bluetooth connection and just run off the aw gps.
1. Just gives me the FMB distance to the pin and hazards without me having to cycle through menus and score tracking? h19 will give you f/m/b but no hazards. you'll need to use the map on the phone to figure that out unfortunately - I wish they would give hazards but fmb is typically enough for me. you can cycle to the next hole without stat tracking if you wish.
2. Works with just the AppleWatch and close proximity to the phone without having to constantly refresh the gps signal? as explained above you don't have to have the series 2 aw connected to get the distances - although it's faster if it is connected to the phone
3. Will last through a 4.5 hour round? I think I've had 40% left after using the watch for golf and other functions on course. and that's the lowest I've seen it go.
I don't know about golfshot - but h19 is free. there is a premium (paid version) but for normal functionality there is no charge. the paid version sounds like it gives you more stats.
btw: you can use the aw for many other activities as you may or may not know. it's got a heart rate monitor (I can't speak on the accuracy) but it will be helpful for you to know that while running. if you run with music, you can actually load music onto the watch and run without your phone with music, track your run, and make sure you're in your target heart bpm range. lots of uses. I love my aw and use it all the time.
Edited by jpdx, 16 August 2017 - 12:25 PM.