Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

GPS TECHNOLOGY

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 finishes

finishes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48497
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:26 AM

Do any GPS' have technology that read to the pin? Most often we cannot see the exact pin placement and as often as it is moved, this information becomes most necessary, especially under blind rises, and around doglegs. Too often a white  pin indicating the middle of the green turns into a 30ft putt to the right of center. If any GPS can solve this problem, then I want one!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Solutions Etcetera

Solutions Etcetera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33999
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:20 AM

No... GPS only knows how far to the points that have been recorded in the course map. Some units have a tiny little picture of the green and you 'guesstimate' the pin position by moving a cursor, but you need to see its position relative to the complete green in order to know where to move it.

If you want accurate distance to the pin you should go with a rangefinder (but of course you are still gonna need to walk to a point where you can at least see part of the flag).

#3 AirTime23

AirTime23

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19894
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:06 AM

Some of the cart gps systems have that feature, at least the starters said so...
If the course enters the actual pin positions into the system every time they're changed it' certainly possible.

#4 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:46 AM

That's why I tend to use my rangefinder more often than my skycaddie.  Both are nice, but distance to the pin is what it's all about.  To those who say just select the club to get you to middle of the green, I say the greens are getting bigger and more undulated all the time with newer courses.  Getting reasonably close to the pin is key, even for a mid handicapper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors