Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Playing a Draw or a fade?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Gallery_flomarilius_*

Gallery_flomarilius_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:17 PM

Alright man this really bothers me. I have no freaking Idea how to play a draw or fade. I see Tiger line up his Driver per say and well hell line up with the ball half way out the driver face. Does he square it at impact because I was doing it today with my Ignite and the ball just went farther and higher, no movement whats so ever.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 SCameron009

SCameron009

~WRX~!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6118
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:18 PM

For me with a driver I make it a quite simple change.

For a Fade:

I at first, set my body and clubface square to the target, then while keeping the clubface still square, I open up my stance accordingly (the harder I want it to turn the more I open my stance). I few last things, I like to have a little bit weaker grip which helps with the hands not turning over as quick (a weak grip if you didn't know is when your right hand is turned over more than the neutral posistion). While keeping a firm foundation, the key is to have a nice wide takeaway, and swing along the path of your feet. If all goes well, and you swing along that same path (that your feet were aligned), you will hit a nice high fade.

For a draw:

If you are hitting a draw, it is the complete opposite obviously. You will have your feet closed to the target, and your clubface will be square to your target, but shut to your stance. While keeping a nice firm foundation (and a weak grip), take the club away on the path of your feet and make sure you turn through the ball - this is a key aspect to hitting a successful draw. If you can stay on that swingpath, and make sure you turn your hips and release your hands through impact you should hit a successful draw.

Hope that helped, Bryan

#3 kkhere

kkhere

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1660
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 December 2005 - 10:46 PM

i agree with bryan. My natural shot shape is a draw, not trying to do it

#4 BridgestoneKevin

BridgestoneKevin

Take what you want, not whats givin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6271

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:17 PM

for me

Fade: I play with a differnt grip, slightly.  my right hand thumb ( hand closest to the club head) is on the top of the shaft ( as opposed to being on the left side of it or right, pretty much center)  and i dont keep my hands as tight and close to my body through the swing.....this is real hand to explaion actually.

Draw: thumb on more towards the left side of the shaft, and i come down with my hands real close to my body, that is all i need to do to create the draw.

#5 cjdrcc

cjdrcc

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3992

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:45 AM

Personally, I play a big natural draw. The draw just happens, no effort needed. To play a fade, I just feel that I am not allowing the club to release until it is above my leading hip. This is hard to perfect, I have heard that the opening and closing of the body does work quite well.

#6 SCameron009

SCameron009

~WRX~!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:12 AM

My natural ball flight is a draw as well, I just put up that post assuming that the persons natural ball flight is straight, but even so, if you do have a fade or a draw for a natural ball flight, you would still use those same simple techniques, but you may not need to emphisize the swing change as much for whatever your natural shot may be.

- Bryan

#7 Gallery_flomarilius_*

Gallery_flomarilius_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:10 AM

I have a natural Fade-straight shot. Meaning that my ball will go str8 for about 90% of the way then it starts to angle off to the right.

#8 NCSU Wolfpack 10

NCSU Wolfpack 10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8838

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:15 AM

View Postclevelandballer1028, on Dec 26 2005, 09:18 PM, said:

For a Fade:

I at first, set my body and clubface square to the target, then while keeping the clubface still square, I open up my stance accordingly (the harder I want it to turn the more I open my stance). I few last things, I like to have a little bit weaker grip which helps with the hands not turning over as quick (a weak grip if you didn't know is when your right hand is turned over more than the neutral posistion). While keeping a firm foundation, the key is to have a nice wide takeaway, and swing along the path of your feet. If all goes well, and you swing along that same path (that your feet were aligned), you will hit a nice high fade.

For a draw:

If you are hitting a draw, it is the complete opposite obviously. You will have your feet closed to the target, and your clubface will be square to your target, but shut to your stance. While keeping a nice firm foundation (and a weak grip), take the club away on the path of your feet and make sure you turn through the ball - this is a key aspect to hitting a successful draw. If you can stay on that swingpath, and make sure you turn your hips and release your hands through impact you should hit a successful draw.

Hope that helped, Bryan

Good post Bryan.  Could not have put it better myself.  This is the best way to expalin how to hit these two shot.  Open or close your stance and swing along the line of your feet not your body.

Adam

#9 k-unit

k-unit

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2288

Posted 01 January 2006 - 01:28 AM

i hit a little draw, when i try and hit a fade, it turns into a slice

#10 tanj

tanj

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1397
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:26 AM

View Postclevelandballer1028, on Dec 27 2005, 01:18 PM, said:

For a Fade:

For a draw:

Hope that helped, Bryan

Quick question. Where does the ball start? Along your feet path or to your club face? For me it's along the target of my club face and then it turns on the opposing angle that my feet target line makes with the club face line. So if I my feet aim 15 degrees left of my clubface line, the ball will finish 15 degrees right of the club face line. I just wanna see if this is the case your you guys because I was always told that the ball should start where the feet aim.

Good luck flo and Happy New years everyone

Josh

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 SCameron009

SCameron009

~WRX~!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:40 PM

tanj,

Mine always start on my foot line, atleast if I project the shot correctly. Ideally, you will want your ball flight to start along your footline, and then end up at the point to where you had your face aimed originally.

- Bryan

#12 italianstallion

italianstallion

Bethpage Black - 8th hole

• Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:47 PM

Slight draw has been my flight, it's about 2-3 yards.
http://thefairwayreview.weebly.com/

#13 golfer_junior

golfer_junior

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3749

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:42 PM

Hook is natural, normal is about a 10 yard draw, I want a 5 yard cut tho.

#14 KingOAces

KingOAces

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9867

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:18 PM

My Taylormade r7 quad moveable weights take care of the draw for me :cheesy:

#15 rednumbers69

rednumbers69

NW AZ player of the year 2007

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8035
  • Ebay ID:drew0130

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:51 PM

i play a fade. y? because you can talk to a fade but a hook wont listen

#16 gslabbert

gslabbert

Senior Tour Hack !!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8538
  • Ebay ID:slabbert

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:19 PM

When you work on a fade or Draw stick an old shaft into the ground about 5 to 10 yards ahead of you and make sure that the ball either takes off left of the shaft for a fade and then turns right or right of the shaft and then turns left. Why, well if your fade starts off right of the shaft then you are either aligned incorrectly or most likely you are hitting a block fade, this will not help on the course as your ball will always end right of the target and many times you will still hit what you are trying to work the ball around. The key is to swing down your foot line and have the face square to your intended target or either a draw or fade. That is all I do.

:cheesy:

#17 BRENTY

BRENTY

Advanced

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7484

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:38 PM

I play both fade and draw i think you need to work it both ways. when i'm practising i alway practise different shot because you never know when you will need them.

#18 rednumbers69

rednumbers69

NW AZ player of the year 2007

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8035
  • Ebay ID:drew0130

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:51 PM

yes u do need both shot (i have them both) but you also have to have a dominate shape (for me a fade, more consistent for me)to have consitincy

#19 i_luv_golf_

i_luv_golf_

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8467
  • Ebay ID:tweetiebird101

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:34 PM

Try This! I Am Only 13 But I Know It Works.

For A Draw:

Stand With Your Back Facing The Target ( If You Are Right Handed ). Have The Ball In Line With Your Left Foot. Now Hit A Few Balls. The Stance Forces Your Arms To Come Around Your Body.

For A Fade:

Stand With Your Body Facing The Target ( If You Are Right Handed ). Have The Ball In Line With Your Right Foot. Now Hit A Few Balls. The Stance Doesn't Allow Your Arms To Come Around Your Body.

Do Either Of These A Few Times Before Attempting To Draw Or Fade The Ball.
Also If You Want To Get Rid Of A Fade Or Slice You Should Do The One For A Draw And If You Want To Get Rid Of A Hook Or Draw Do The One For A Fade!

If You Are Left-Handed When You Have Your Back Facing The Target The Ball Will Be In Line With Your Right Foot And Vice-Versa When You Are Facing The Target!

GOOD LUCK! :pimp:  :)  :cheesy:  :D

MY BAG FOR '06: PING G5 10.5 DEGREE NVS REGULAR, FUSION 15 DEGREE NVS REGULAR, CALLAWAY HEAVENWOOD 20 DEGREE RCH 65W REGULAR, CALLAWAY X-14 IRONS 3-SW GEMS REGULAR, CALLAWAY X-FORGED LOB WEDGE WHEN IT COMES OUT, CALLAWAY TOUR BLUE PUTTER, HX TOUR 56 BALL.

#20 Nelson A

Nelson A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123446
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

I am a Draw Fella

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

Next Sean Foley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:21 AM

I hit a rory high draw with my irons. When I have the driver I either hit a a low stinging draw like quiros or the high bomb cut like bubba.

#22 mwkbmw

mwkbmw

Play. Fast.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184910
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 388

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostNelson A, on 14 October 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

I am a Draw Fella

Hey, Dude. It's 2012. What's up with resurrecting all these 6+ year old threads?  :dntknw:
TaylorMade SLDR 9.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Nickent 4DX 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58

#23 LULynx'er

LULynx'er

Lynx Golfer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204577

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

lol

#24 dtowngolf

dtowngolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136849
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Shot shape is mainly controlled by two factors, swing path a face angle. During a fade the face is slightly open at impact causing left to right spin. A more extreme version of a fade is a slice. In high handicappers this is caused when the player comes over the top cause the club path to come from out to in. Most players who suffer from coming over the top also have a slightly open club face at impact.
    To hit a draw, a player may do two things to accomplish this shot shape. First a player may come into impact with a slightly closed club face. In addition, a player may come into impact slightly from the inside which will along with the proper release of the hands will cause a draw. Be careful when coming form the inside though, many good players who come from the inside suffer from getting the hands to far behind the body. This can cause a big hook or a big pull. Players in the past who have suffered from this include the greats Tiger and Rory.
    Its very typical for younger players to come to far from the inside because as stated by Tiger all junior golfers try to get the most distance out drives which is done by coming from the inside and flipping at the ball. The problem with this, is if the players timing is off it will be very inaccurate.
    Recently with Sean Folley Tiger has tried to get away from this. This was evident in the practice swings Tiger used to take out infront of his body trying to cut across the ball. This would give him the feeling of staying infront of the ball keeping him from hitting a big draw.

Edited by dtowngolf, 05 December 2012 - 10:57 AM.

SLDR 9.5,OBAN Kiyoshi White 04
R11, speeder tp x (r9 shaft)
19, 21 Adams LS hybrid X100
5-PW Rocketblades Tour, S400 Tour Isuue
White Hot Tour #7
ATV 49, 54, 60, S400 Tour Issue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors