Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Does Taylor Made tip their shafts?


113 replies to this topic

#91 flopshots

flopshots

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 454018
  • Joined: 02/04/2017
  • Location:RI
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:51 PM

View PostStuart G., on 04 February 2017 - 05:19 AM, said:

View Postflopshots, on 03 February 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

View Postjleduc2200, on 01 February 2017 - 06:30 PM, said:

I have a Hzrdus Black from TM that is tipped 1".  Tip to top of red diamond logo should be 30.5" - mine measured 29.5".
Is that from the tip of the adapter without the club head in? I just received mine and want to know if they tipped it. I ordered it 1 inch soft.

Most tip to graphics measurements are to the tip of the shaft, not the tip of the adapter.  But for the TM adapters, you can convert it pretty easily.  The adapter extends ~3/8" beyond the actual tip of the shaft.
Thank you. I'm pretty sure they tipped mine anyway...unbelievable.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#92 QuickFeet

QuickFeet

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68520
  • Joined: 10/31/2008
  • Location:FT. Worth, TX
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 888

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:39 PM

This is all very confusing.........lol.  Here is my custom order confirmation that shipped along with my M2.  Was the shaft tipped?

Attached Thumbnails

  • M2 Order.jpg

TaylorMade M2 10.5o / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Nike Vr Pro :td. 5W / UST VTS 7R Silver
Callaway Apex 3/20o / UST Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23o / UST Recoil 760 ES F3
Nike Covert Forged 4-PW / UST Recoil 95 F3
Nike Engage 58 Wedge / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby 54 M Series + Wedge / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Vr Forged 50 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Nike Origin B2-01
Nike RZN Tour Black

2

#93 Redjeep83

Redjeep83

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115910
  • Joined: 10/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 828

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:47 PM

View PostQuickFeet, on 04 February 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

This is all very confusing.........lol.  Here is my custom order confirmation that shipped along with my M2.  Was the shaft tipped?

Yea it says standard for tipping and TM standard is tip an inch

3

#94 QuickFeet

QuickFeet

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68520
  • Joined: 10/31/2008
  • Location:FT. Worth, TX
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 888

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:55 PM

View PostRedjeep83, on 04 February 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

View PostQuickFeet, on 04 February 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

This is all very confusing.........lol.  Here is my custom order confirmation that shipped along with my M2.  Was the shaft tipped?

Yea it says standard for tipping and TM standard is tip an inch

Which is why I find this whole tipping issue a mess.....mine was not tipped at all.  According to Matrix, the parallel tip length is 3 inches; I checked the shaft on my M2 with some calipers, it's 0.338 diameter for 3 inches.  Also, Matrix shows this shaft as no tipping for driver install.

Oh.........I did not what it tipped either.

Edited by QuickFeet, 04 February 2017 - 01:56 PM.

TaylorMade M2 10.5o / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Nike Vr Pro :td. 5W / UST VTS 7R Silver
Callaway Apex 3/20o / UST Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23o / UST Recoil 760 ES F3
Nike Covert Forged 4-PW / UST Recoil 95 F3
Nike Engage 58 Wedge / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby 54 M Series + Wedge / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Vr Forged 50 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Nike Origin B2-01
Nike RZN Tour Black

4

#95 frebird

frebird

    freebird

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 362215
  • Joined: 02/13/2015
  • Location:Eastern NC
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:22 AM

They make it way too complicated. So I am putting a new uncut AD DI 5S in my M2.  Playing length 44.5. Tip trim, butt trim or a combination of both. I'm thinking straight in and butt trim and adjust swing weight. Any advice?


5

#96 QuickFeet

QuickFeet

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68520
  • Joined: 10/31/2008
  • Location:FT. Worth, TX
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 888

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

View Postfrebird, on 06 February 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

They make it way too complicated. So I am putting a new uncut AD DI 5S in my M2.  Playing length 44.5. Tip trim, butt trim or a combination of both. I'm thinking straight in and butt trim and adjust swing weight. Any advice?

Graphite Design does not recommend any tipping for this shaft with a driver to play as designed.  Unless you are looking to slightly tweak launch/spin with a firmer tip you are probably on the right track going straight in on the install.
TaylorMade M2 10.5o / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Nike Vr Pro :td. 5W / UST VTS 7R Silver
Callaway Apex 3/20o / UST Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23o / UST Recoil 760 ES F3
Nike Covert Forged 4-PW / UST Recoil 95 F3
Nike Engage 58 Wedge / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby 54 M Series + Wedge / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Vr Forged 50 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Nike Origin B2-01
Nike RZN Tour Black

6

#97 frebird

frebird

    freebird

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 362215
  • Joined: 02/13/2015
  • Location:Eastern NC
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:23 AM

Yeah, mess around with clubs a lot. That was the plan, straight in. Add some lead see what happens!

7

#98 ignitewvu

ignitewvu

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3869
  • Joined: 07/30/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:56 AM

View PostQuickFeet, on 04 February 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

View PostRedjeep83, on 04 February 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

View PostQuickFeet, on 04 February 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

This is all very confusing.........lol.  Here is my custom order confirmation that shipped along with my M2.  Was the shaft tipped?

Yea it says standard for tipping and TM standard is tip an inch

Which is why I find this whole tipping issue a mess.....mine was not tipped at all.  According to Matrix, the parallel tip length is 3 inches; I checked the shaft on my M2 with some calipers, it's 0.338 diameter for 3 inches.  Also, Matrix shows this shaft as no tipping for driver install.

Oh.........I did not what it tipped either.

Just an FYI a Caliper isn't going to give you a accurate reading.  Ive tried it before....

Edited by ignitewvu, 06 February 2017 - 11:57 AM.

M3 440 9 Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 Stiff
M1 15 3 Wood Mitsubishi Diamana B80 Stiff
M1 19 Hybrid Matrix Altus HYBRID Stiff
TM SLDR 4i @ 39" DGSLS300
Bridgestone J40CB 5-PW Tour Concept S3
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 TG 52, 56 & 60 DGS300
Scotty Cameron Select SquareBack 34"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

8

#99 JellyPig

JellyPig

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438114
  • Joined: 08/24/2016
  • Location:The shores of Lake St. Clair
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

View Postignitewvu, on 06 February 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

View PostQuickFeet, on 04 February 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

View PostRedjeep83, on 04 February 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

View PostQuickFeet, on 04 February 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

This is all very confusing.........lol.  Here is my custom order confirmation that shipped along with my M2.  Was the shaft tipped?

Yea it says standard for tipping and TM standard is tip an inch

Which is why I find this whole tipping issue a mess.....mine was not tipped at all.  According to Matrix, the parallel tip length is 3 inches; I checked the shaft on my M2 with some calipers, it's 0.338 diameter for 3 inches.  Also, Matrix shows this shaft as no tipping for driver install.

Oh.........I did not what it tipped either.

Just an FYI a Caliper isn't going to give you a accurate reading.  Ive tried it before....

Unless they are cheap $15 Chinese calipers from Harbor Freight, they most certainly will give you an accurate reading. Not as accurate as micrometers, but still very good.

9

#100 akjell

akjell

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22160
  • Joined: 11/26/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:08 PM

View Postmulliganman30, on 23 January 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

Thank you.  But, I find this whole thing ridiculous.  I know of two companies still taking custom orders on the 2016 M2 and have gotten 2 different stories about this tipping issue.  Retailer #1 says Taylormade doesn't tip their shafts at all.  Retailer #2 first says Taylormade only tips driver ".5 inch firm" or "1 inch firm".   I then attach a screenshot of the soft 1 inch option for the current M2 and reply back if its possible to do that but no response...

I had my 2017 M1 Driver and M2 3 and 5 woods built at the TMAG Poppy Hills fitting center in Monterey, CA in October of 2017.  According to the guys there, drivers are tipper .5", 3 woods 1", and 5 woods 1.5".  The shafts I got were the Evolution 661 for the driver and 757 in stiff for fairway woods.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#101 reechard

reechard

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320103
  • Joined: 06/10/2014
  • Location:Vancouver, BC, Canada
  • Handicap:+7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

From what I've read this thread has mostly been on driver shafts.

I got my bag measured and charted today and my 3 tour preferred wedges were all in the 7.5-8 range.

They are KBS tour V wedge shafts.

The guy I bought them off of got them from golftown, so I highly doubt they were a custom order.

My fitter mentioned TaylorMade not only tips their driver shafts but even their wedge shafts.

Anybody else have a similar situation ?

Driver //  Cobra Fly-Z+ 9.0°  // Mitsubishi Kuro Kage KT 60TX  //
Wood // Cobra King F6+ 15.5 //  
Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70s//
Hybrid // Cobra Amp Cell 19°// VTS Proforce Silver 85x //

Irons // 4-PW Cobra Amp Cell Pro Irons // DG S300 //
Wedges // Haywood Golf 50° 55° 60° //
Putter // Odyssey 2 Ball Fang //

11

#102 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6606

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:53 AM

Tour V wedge shaft and the TP wedges are taper tipped.   No one tips taper tip steel shafts (at least not more then about 3/8" w/o boring out the heads), otherwise the shaft could not be fully inserted into the hosels.

12

#103 reechard

reechard

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320103
  • Joined: 06/10/2014
  • Location:Vancouver, BC, Canada
  • Handicap:+7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:25 PM

Seems rather strange that my wedge shafts had a frequency of 8.08, 7.54 and 7.72.

As well these were off the rack wedges that I purchased off a guy who won new sm6 at a tournament and sold these.


Driver //  Cobra Fly-Z+ 9.0°  // Mitsubishi Kuro Kage KT 60TX  //
Wood // Cobra King F6+ 15.5 //  
Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70s//
Hybrid // Cobra Amp Cell 19°// VTS Proforce Silver 85x //

Irons // 4-PW Cobra Amp Cell Pro Irons // DG S300 //
Wedges // Haywood Golf 50° 55° 60° //
Putter // Odyssey 2 Ball Fang //

13

#104 Tzoid

Tzoid

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5124
  • Joined: 08/14/2005
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:twallermizman
GolfWRX Likes : 500

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:32 PM

I know this is an old thread but I just picked up Aldila Rogue Black 70 MSI 95 ( Driver length ) from a member in BST that he said came
directly from Taylor Made.  I plan on trying it in my 3 Wood and Aldila trimming chart says to Tip Trim 1" and butt trim to length.   The Million dollar question is did Taylor Made already tip trim this shaft 1" ?  

                      My head hurts after reading 4 pages that kinda confirm my rhetorical question
Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges  Nippon WV 115 Shafts
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
Titleist Pro V-1X

14

#105 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6606

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:39 AM

View PostTzoid, on 10 October 2018 - 09:32 PM, said:

The Million dollar question is did Taylor Made already tip trim this shaft 1" ?

pretty sure the measurements are the same for the 70 as they are for the 60  (and the 'tip' referenced in the measurement is the tip of the shaft, not the tip of the adapter).

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry17499626

Edited by Stuart G., 11 October 2018 - 03:44 AM.


15

#106 Tzoid

Tzoid

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5124
  • Joined: 08/14/2005
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:twallermizman
GolfWRX Likes : 500

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:04 PM

View PostStuart G., on 11 October 2018 - 03:39 AM, said:

View PostTzoid, on 10 October 2018 - 09:32 PM, said:

The Million dollar question is did Taylor Made already tip trim this shaft 1" ?

pretty sure the measurements are the same for the 70 as they are for the 60  (and the 'tip' referenced in the measurement is the tip of the shaft, not the tip of the adapter).

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry17499626


Thank you

  That's a pretty crazy way to determine whether it's been tipped....  but I appreciate the reply
Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges  Nippon WV 115 Shafts
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
Titleist Pro V-1X

16

#107 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6606

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:23 AM

View PostTzoid, on 11 October 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

View PostStuart G., on 11 October 2018 - 03:39 AM, said:

View PostTzoid, on 10 October 2018 - 09:32 PM, said:

The Million dollar question is did Taylor Made already tip trim this shaft 1" ?

pretty sure the measurements are the same for the 70 as they are for the 60  (and the 'tip' referenced in the measurement is the tip of the shaft, not the tip of the adapter).

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry17499626


Thank you

  That's a pretty crazy way to determine whether it's been tipped....  but I appreciate the reply

Actually, using known tip to graphics measurements is both the most common way and the most reliable way.    For most shaft OEM's you have to get that info from someone else who has a known uncut version of the shaft - but Aldila (and also UST) CS are pretty good at providing those dimensions upon request.

17

#108 Tzoid

Tzoid

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5124
  • Joined: 08/14/2005
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:twallermizman
GolfWRX Likes : 500

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:08 PM

View PostStuart G., on 12 October 2018 - 03:23 AM, said:

View PostTzoid, on 11 October 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

View PostStuart G., on 11 October 2018 - 03:39 AM, said:

View PostTzoid, on 10 October 2018 - 09:32 PM, said:

The Million dollar question is did Taylor Made already tip trim this shaft 1" ?

pretty sure the measurements are the same for the 70 as they are for the 60  (and the 'tip' referenced in the measurement is the tip of the shaft, not the tip of the adapter).

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry17499626


Thank you

  That's a pretty crazy way to determine whether it's been tipped....  but I appreciate the reply

Actually, using known tip to graphics measurements is both the most common way and the most reliable way. For most shaft OEM's you have to get that info from someone else who has a known uncut version of the shaft - but Aldila (and also UST) CS are pretty good at providing those dimensions upon request.


Well I measured and the TM shaft I purchased measures 30.5" from the Tip end to the Box above the Atomic Logo described so it's been tipped 1 "  

  Thank you

Edited by Tzoid, 12 October 2018 - 07:09 PM.

Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges  Nippon WV 115 Shafts
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
Titleist Pro V-1X

18

#109 milos

milos

    ms1

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15709
  • Joined: 06/25/2006
  • Location:Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:37 PM

Long story but I pulled a Rogue Silver from a Titleist tip to try in my m3. After a few weeks I decided I really liked the shaft however it had been cut .5 of an inch at the butt end so I decided to order a new shaft directly from TM at standard length. I didn't specify anything on the order except the "standard length" for the M3.  It turned up but after 3 weeks of play, I decided it was unplayable as I was really struggling with it and put the old Rogue back in. I thought it was just because of going back to the native length was the problem but then I put it next to the old shaft aligning the tip end and the shaft graphics suggest the TM shaft has indeed been tipped at least an inch. So I'd say yes, TM tip their shafts.

My SW is only 94 MPH and whilst I prefer a stiffer shaft I suspect it takes very little before a shaft is too stiff for my swing. Will need to be sure to order untipped from now on and wish I had read this thread sooner :-(

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_0478.jpg

Edited by milos, 13 October 2018 - 03:44 PM.


19

#110 Tzoid

Tzoid

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5124
  • Joined: 08/14/2005
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:twallermizman
GolfWRX Likes : 500

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:11 PM

View Postmilos, on 13 October 2018 - 03:37 PM, said:

Long story but I pulled a Rogue Silver from a Titleist tip to try in my m3. After a few weeks I decided I really liked the shaft however it had been cut .5 of an inch at the butt end so I decided to order a new shaft directly from TM at standard length. I didn't specify anything on the order except the "standard length" for the M3.  It turned up but after 3 weeks of play, I decided it was unplayable as I was really struggling with it and put the old Rogue back in. I thought it was just because of going back to the native length was the problem but then I put it next to the old shaft aligning the tip end and the shaft graphics suggest the TM shaft has indeed been tipped at least an inch. So I'd say yes, TM tip their shafts.

My SW is only 94 MPH and whilst I prefer a stiffer shaft I suspect it takes very little before a shaft is too stiff for my swing. Will need to be sure to order untipped from now on and wish I had read this thread sooner :-(

That really sucks that TM does that since Aldila's trimming guide states to only butt trim to length.   Why in the hell would they do that ? Do you have a 3 wood that you could butt trim that shaft to length like I did ?

Edited by Tzoid, 13 October 2018 - 06:11 PM.

Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges  Nippon WV 115 Shafts
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
Titleist Pro V-1X

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#111 milos

milos

    ms1

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15709
  • Joined: 06/25/2006
  • Location:Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:57 PM

View PostTzoid, on 13 October 2018 - 06:11 PM, said:

View Postmilos, on 13 October 2018 - 03:37 PM, said:

Long story but I pulled a Rogue Silver from a Titleist tip to try in my m3. After a few weeks I decided I really liked the shaft however it had been cut .5 of an inch at the butt end so I decided to order a new shaft directly from TM at standard length. I didn't specify anything on the order except the "standard length" for the M3.  It turned up but after 3 weeks of play, I decided it was unplayable as I was really struggling with it and put the old Rogue back in. I thought it was just because of going back to the native length was the problem but then I put it next to the old shaft aligning the tip end and the shaft graphics suggest the TM shaft has indeed been tipped at least an inch. So I'd say yes, TM tip their shafts.

My SW is only 94 MPH and whilst I prefer a stiffer shaft I suspect it takes very little before a shaft is too stiff for my swing. Will need to be sure to order untipped from now on and wish I had read this thread sooner :-(

That really sucks that TM does that since Aldila's trimming guide states to only butt trim to length.   Why in the hell would they do that ? Do you have a 3 wood that you could butt trim that shaft to length like I did ?

Yeah sure turned into a waste of money. It's only a 60g shaft so a bit light for 3 wood but it would be worth trying to get some use from it as its just an alignment stick atm.

21

#112 Tzoid

Tzoid

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5124
  • Joined: 08/14/2005
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:twallermizman
GolfWRX Likes : 500

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:20 PM

So with this logic wouldn't we be able to go to a Brick and Mortar store and go to a Taylor Made Fitting Cart and grab a Standard length driver shaft and another Manufacturer identical fitting cart shaft and
confirm by how the Logos line up that a shaft is tip trimmed ?  Callaway , Ping , Titleist ................
Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges  Nippon WV 115 Shafts
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
Titleist Pro V-1X

22

#113 t4t3r

t4t3r

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58148
  • Joined: 06/17/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 863

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:00 AM

View PostStuart G., on 12 October 2018 - 03:23 AM, said:

View PostTzoid, on 11 October 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

View PostStuart G., on 11 October 2018 - 03:39 AM, said:

View PostTzoid, on 10 October 2018 - 09:32 PM, said:

The Million dollar question is did Taylor Made already tip trim this shaft 1" ?

pretty sure the measurements are the same for the 70 as they are for the 60  (and the 'tip' referenced in the measurement is the tip of the shaft, not the tip of the adapter).

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry17499626


Thank you

  That's a pretty crazy way to determine whether it's been tipped....  but I appreciate the reply

Actually, using known tip to graphics measurements is both the most common way and the most reliable way.    For most shaft OEM's you have to get that info from someone else who has a known uncut version of the shaft - but Aldila (and also UST) CS are pretty good at providing those dimensions upon request.

Hopefully things have changed because UST is one of the worst Iíve dealt with in trying to get this into. I called them about a couple different shafts I wanted to get a reference for, and they told me they donít have that info. I was dumbfounded.
Taylormade 2017 M2 10.5* - Diamana Whiteboard 63x
Callaway Alpha 816 15* - Diamana D+ 70x
Titleist 913H 21* - Matrix Ozik Altus X
Bridgestone J15CB 5-PW - Dynamic Gold TI X100
Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 56.08M
Callaway MD4 Raw 60.08C
Taylormade Tour Spider

23

#114 t4t3r

t4t3r

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58148
  • Joined: 06/17/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 863

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:05 AM

View PostTzoid, on 13 October 2018 - 07:20 PM, said:

So with this logic wouldn't we be able to go to a Brick and Mortar store and go to a Taylor Made Fitting Cart and grab a Standard length driver shaft and another Manufacturer identical fitting cart shaft and
confirm by how the Logos line up that a shaft is tip trimmed ?  Callaway , Ping , Titleist ................

No. You need to measure the specific shaft that youíre wanting to check. You could line up 2 different shafts that are untipped and the graphics may not line up because one was butt trimmed more than the other.

It just takes a little googling to know how much each companyís adapter adds and then a little more googling to find a reference for your specific shaft. Other than the smaller brands you can find nearly every model. I spent some time putting a lot of them in a spreadsheet that I reference.
Taylormade 2017 M2 10.5* - Diamana Whiteboard 63x
Callaway Alpha 816 15* - Diamana D+ 70x
Titleist 913H 21* - Matrix Ozik Altus X
Bridgestone J15CB 5-PW - Dynamic Gold TI X100
Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 56.08M
Callaway MD4 Raw 60.08C
Taylormade Tour Spider

24



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors