Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Scotland/Ireland Sabbatical Help

32 replies to this topic

#31 southerneer

southerneer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423512
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:Southerneer
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:07 PM

Anyway you can move the trip up a month?  Dublin in October is going to be really hit or miss on the weather.  You are also going to run in to some maintenance closures as you can see.

I enjoyed the Island Club - also make sure you book the real Portmarnock and not the new resort that is just down the road.

TaylorMade M2 9.5*
Titleist 915F 13.5*
Titleist 915H 18*
PXG 0311 4 - W, 50, 54, 58 with Mitsubishi OT 105 X flex
Scotty Circle T

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 TwoHopsAndCheck

TwoHopsAndCheck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 448868
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:52 AM

View Postchrisisoutrunning, on 31 October 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

View Postkatbird, on 31 October 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

It is a good idea to contact each club and ask about their maintenance schedule....as well as member tourneys that may close the course to visitors when you want to play there.

Yeah, I've made tee times at Ballybunion and Royal Dornoch to at least theoretically avoid that issue. The Old and New Courses don't have anything major going on while I'll be there (I avoided the Dunhill Links on purpose, otherwise my trip would probably head east to west instead of the opposite). I will reach out to Lahinch, as I can't book for next year yet via their website.

So, now that Royal County Down is out of the picture. For when I'm in Dublin, should I look at Portmarnock, The Island, or somehwere else?

Being from Dublin myself I should be able to help here. Personally I'd have The Island as the best links course in Dublin. Don't get me wrong Portmarnock is excellent but, for a slightly lesser price you can play The Island. On top of that, right next door to Royal Dublin (the home course of Christy O'Connor Senior and one of the most historic golf clubs in Ireland) is St Anne's which, in my opinion, is the best value links course you can play anywhere. It's only half the price of your Watervilles, Ballybunions, Portmarnocks or Royal Dublins but is not far off in terms of quality.

If you were going to play one round in Dublin I'd recommend The Island but, if you could get a second one in and on top of that get it for a very reasonable price, St Anne's is a gem!

#33 chrisisoutrunning

chrisisoutrunning

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413816
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Taking a minute out of drinking a Guinness to thank everyone for all of their advice oh so long ago.

We’re just under halfway through our journey at this point and I’m currently fortunate enough to have played Lahinch, Ballybunion, and Portmarnock. Fortunately/unfortunately (I’m really not sure which) I’ve played all three in what I’d consider true links conditions. Rain for 1/3 - 1/2 the round and constant 15-25 mph (do your own conversion) winds. All three courses have been great in their own ways.

Out of the three I’d have to say Lahinch has been my favorite so far. Portmarnock was the most “Links-y” in the mold of an Open rota course (in my mind at least). I tee’d off by myself in near dark conditions there, but had a blast. Ballybunion was an absolute beast in the conditions we played in (and with my wayward driver). Brian, the pro, saved my day by lending me his rain suit as I was an idiot and left mine in our hotel room back in Killarney.

Pictures will have to wait.

Thanks again everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors