Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hip Replacement - How long till you golfed again @ 100%

95 replies to this topic

#61 short game

short game

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428010
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:52 PM

i fought knee pain with both my replacements. the most likely culprit is weak quads. listen to your PT and really work on those quad exercises. i really hurt my right knee after my first hip. i battled soreness and effusions for the first year. now that my quad has strengthened - it rarely bothers me.

i had a great deal of left quad atrophy. in fact my quad was almost nonexistent. i have been working on regaining strength for a year now. its still not 100%

however - i  am now walking the course and carrying my bag again.

its awesome!

Ping G 400 10.5 Driver; Aldila Copper X-torsion 50R
Ping G 400 5 wood and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 and 5 hybrid
Ping i200 6 - UW
Vokey SM6 60 (K-grind), 55 (S-grind)
Betti BB 54 / Ping Tyne

Titelst Pro V1X

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,965 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
GolfWRX Likes : 3603

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:25 PM

Same here knee pain in left knee mostly due to atrophy in the quad and being in fairly poor shape after 3 years of low to no activity. PT worked with me to strengthen the quad and hamstring.
@oneputtblunder
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
WITB Link

#63 ddetts

ddetts

Ty Webb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:03 AM

View Postshort game, on 21 February 2017 - 08:52 PM, said:

i fought knee pain with both my replacements. the most likely culprit is weak quads. listen to your PT and really work on those quad exercises. i really hurt my right knee after my first hip. i battled soreness and effusions for the first year. now that my quad has strengthened - it rarely bothers me.

i had a great deal of left quad atrophy. in fact my quad was almost nonexistent. i have been working on regaining strength for a year now. its still not 100%

however - i  am now walking the course and carrying my bag again.

its awesome!

That's great to hear you can walk and carry again!

I made the move from carrying to a push cart about 4 years ago. I just seemed like I was getting too fatigued by the last few holes and would hit bad shots. Also felt like it made my shoulders and neck unhappy at times.  I'll be happy to walk and push my cart soon!

I've been doing some strength work in the gym - leg extensions, leg curls, leg press, goblet squats - trying to get some good strength reestablished.  That's in addition to a number of resistance band movements and patterns she has me working on.  Hopefully it will keep progressing, I want to be ready to go when golf season gets here end of March/early April depending on when winter wants to leave for good.
Nike Vapor Pro, Diamana S+
Taylor Made '17 M2 16.5*, Reax 65 S
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18*, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 / MP 15 5-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

#64 ddetts

ddetts

Ty Webb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

View PostOne_Putt_Blunder, on 21 February 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

Same here knee pain in left knee mostly due to atrophy in the quad and being in fairly poor shape after 3 years of low to no activity. PT worked with me to strengthen the quad and hamstring.

Thanks for the response, comforting to know this is a fairly common problem we experience. It was a bit disheartening to go in and get a new hip that felt great only to have pain and problems in another joint.  Glad I can look forward to it clearing up with PT and strength work.
Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

#65 short game

short game

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428010
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

one thing i gained a great deal of appreciation for  -- was the amount of time it takes to build back muscle strength. its not really recognized but it takes a significant period of time.

i am carrying my bag in part to keep building strength - if i was playing in competition -- i would be riding or pushing the cart for sure.

Ping G 400 10.5 Driver; Aldila Copper X-torsion 50R
Ping G 400 5 wood and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 and 5 hybrid
Ping i200 6 - UW
Vokey SM6 60 (K-grind), 55 (S-grind)
Betti BB 54 / Ping Tyne

Titelst Pro V1X

#66 ddetts

ddetts

Ty Webb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:08 AM

View Postshort game, on 23 February 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

one thing i gained a great deal of appreciation for  -- was the amount of time it takes to build back muscle strength. its not really recognized but it takes a significant period of time.

i am carrying my bag in part to keep building strength - if i was playing in competition -- i would be riding or pushing the cart for sure.

I agree!  The salesman aka the surgeon definitely likes to tell you how easy it will be and how quick his patients have recovered, etc. At least that was the case with my surgeon who is probably the best in the area and was the first around here to do anterior approach.  They certainly didn't mention the work it takes to build the strength back up and the amount of adjusting your muscles and body do. My expectations were probably too high since I had relatively little to no pain right after surgery and stayed that way pretty much through the entire recovery. I only took pain pills for two days and was walking without my crutches at day 10 and thought I would be breezing through recovery!
Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

#67 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,965 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:50 AM

Yeah I mentioned this in my big thread and a couple other times, It is very quick to get back to 60%-70% and feel ok in light duty activities but it takes a lot longer than the docs lead on to get back closer to 100%
@oneputtblunder
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
WITB Link

#68 ddetts

ddetts

Ty Webb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

View PostOne_Putt_Blunder, on 24 February 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

Yeah I mentioned this in my big thread and a couple other times, It is very quick to get back to 60%-70% and feel ok in light duty activities but it takes a lot longer than the docs lead on to get back closer to 100%

I see you're in Scottsdale - next time I take a trip out to the PHX area I'll have to give you a heads up and maybe get a round in with a fellow hippie! I've got family in the Gilbert and Queen Creek area and try to get out there once a year.  This year might be a stretch since we've already committed to taking the kids to Disney World in November though...

There's a couple of courses that I've wanted to play but missed so far.  We-Ko-Pa for sure I need to play.
Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

#69 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,965 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

Wekopa is my "home course" for 6 months in summer when it is affordable and easier to get tee times so yeah hit me up
@oneputtblunder
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
WITB Link

#70 eighteen

eighteen

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250572
  • Handicap:11.7
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

Resurrection of my thread from last year... finally had the operation five days ago. Wanted it last November, but with an unfortunate Rheamatoid arthritis diagnosis, Dr wanted me to try an RA drug for at least six months before the surgery: 1 to see if it could prolong the joint and 2 if not, it would take down quite a bit of the inflammation in the joint.
Just got home today, did the old school approach up the side of the leg as that is what the surgeon likes. I can't lie, it was brutal there first two days, then the last three have gotten crazy better and better. Hobbling around on crutches, but I realized yesterday my knee was pain free for the first time in two years...pretty crazy how a body compensated for injuries. Doc said it was a good surgery but tough, too him 55 vs his regular 40 minutes as the leg muscles were so tough. Glad I played so much hockey growing up!
Anyways, I haven't really played the last six months bc of the pain, when I did it was "nine is fine, eighteen will be there end of me" type stuff.
I will definitely be following everyone's advice and doing the PT religiously... wouldn't be fair to my kids to slack off on it and after the operation still not be able to run around with them.
Again, thanks all for the posts... I don't post often in here, but I read a tonne of it and really appreciate the words, thoughts, advice and time you spend on a stranger from over seas!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 tyorke1

tyorke1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33236
GolfWRX Likes : 389

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:46 PM

hip replacement in January , room booked for British Senior qualifier hopefully things go well

#72 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,965 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

View PostOne_Putt_Blunder, on 24 February 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

Started hiking in the mountains behind my place been a noticeable improvement in hip strength relatively quickly good low-medium impact workout too. I should have mentioned this much earlier, but I was in part lying to myself about how strong I was because I could walk the golf course. If you want to really test/confirm how well your quads and hip adductors are strength wise start walking on inclines. Does not have to be on a trail, a treadmill with incline will do the job too. Going back to my easy to get to 60-70% strength post I could walk flat ground with no prob but I really noticed lack of muscle in the right places once I got into inclines. Over the last year made huge strides. From not being able to hike Diamond head in Hawaii to covering 2400 vertical feet in the mountains here.
@oneputtblunder
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
WITB Link

#73 tyorke1

tyorke1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:32 PM

how long after surgery was this

#74 596

1979 Corvette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122006
GolfWRX Likes : 1254

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

It took about a full year of exercising to get back to 100% for me.  I can now "run" instead of "jogging".  There's a big difference in the strength it takes between the two.

I was walking the day of surgery.  Walker for 1 week, crutches for 1 week, cane for 1 week.  Then off on my own.  I was at the chipping/putting at the end of week 2.  Yes, I was using a cane on the putting green.  At week 4 I was hitting partial shots on the range.  I was ready to play at week 8, but the doc held me off til week 10.   I have no pain, no limits to movement.  In fact I have a ton more then before the hip surgery.  Its' better then my real one on the right.  I can easily walk 18 holes again.

I can also cycle when I want without any problems.  I will say that due to the hip changes it affected my back a lot.  I see a chiro at this point twice a week.  I have 3 vertebra fused together in the thoracic area from arthritis.  Lots of calcium in there he is breaking up.  After 4 weeks I have a ton more mobility in my neck and back

This has all affected my golf swing and I've needed to adjust my swing some.   But I hit more consistent and longer then before the hip surgery.  I've played my best golf in the last 4 years over the last 3-4 months.   Breaking par should come soon over 18 holes.  I've broken par a few times in the last 4 months over 9 holes.

#75 xgolfx

xgolfx

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139737
GolfWRX Likes : 771

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:20 AM

If I had the hip replacement the “old way” , I doubt that I would have ever been able to play 18 holes after the first surgery. In my opinion, I would have been unable to swing at all after the second hip was done. You said “walker for 1 week,crutches for 1 week, cane for 1 week,part shots after week four”. I used a walker in the hospital four hours after surgery   Never had crutches or a cane. Hit drivers 11 days after procedure. In my opinion, I would have never been able to recover because of age and atrophy. Firestone even improved the procedure in the two years between left and right hip. I had no rehab after second operation, but did work with a personal trainer  twice a week for six weeks.

CHARLEY PENNA

#76 596

1979 Corvette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122006
GolfWRX Likes : 1254

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:01 AM

View Postxgolfx, on 05 November 2017 - 06:20 AM, said:

If I had the hip replacement the “old way” , I doubt that I would have ever been able to play 18 holes after the first surgery. In my opinion, I would have been unable to swing at all after the second hip was done. You said “walker for 1 week,crutches for 1 week, cane for 1 week,part shots after week four”. I used a walker in the hospital four hours after surgery   Never had crutches or a cane. Hit drivers 11 days after procedure. In my opinion, I would have never been able to recover because of age and atrophy. Firestone even improved the procedure in the two years between left and right hip. I had no rehab after second operation, but did work with a personal trainer  twice a week for six weeks.

CHARLEY PENNA

My surgery was 2 years ago.  I was 60 years old at the time.  The first 2-3 days was the worst.  After that there was vast improvement from one day to the next.

The walker, crutches and cane were more prevention then necessity.

#77 tyorke1

tyorke1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:41 PM

thanks for the info , it will be nice playing and practicing without some sort of manipulation to keep pressure off the bad hip.

#78 tyorke1

tyorke1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:45 AM

surgery got bumped up to dec6, I am around scratch at what point do you guys think I will be back swinging full and playing 100% I will be in decent shape going in.

#79 torbill

torbill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107208
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:38 PM

In reply to the OP...

I had a hip implant done about 6 years ago, when I was 67.  Posterior approach.  Metal ball and latest generation cross-linked polyethelene cup.  Mayo Clinic.

I was released from the hospital on the third day, with no restrictions, meaning that when I felt up to golfing I could give it a shot.  There was a guidelines, as I recall, of six weeks.  

I began hitting 9-irons at four weeks.  Six weeks to the day after surgery I played 18 holes.  I played the first nine from a cart, got out and walked the back nine. I have never looked back and never had a minute’s worth of trouble.

What I take away from my surgery:

Spend your time picking a surgeon.  There can be a huge difference in outcomes. This is the key to everything.  Not the appliance.  Not the approach.  Pick the right surgeon, let him/her do it the way s/he prefers with his/her appliance of choice.  I wanted metal-metal and the surgeon did not want this, and boy was he right.  A couple of years after I had mine done there were huge problems with metal-metal.  As far as I am concerned, the best way to pick the right surgeon is word of mouth, and ask lots of people and follow-up on what they say to see if it is true.  Do not go by what any single person says, if you can avoid it.  Insider opinions are a good source.

I was concerned about the longeviity of plastic.  At the time of my surgery there was insufficient data to say how long the cup would last, but the surgeon felt that it was the best choice.  When I went back for my two year followup I was told that there was now sufficient data to establish that this hip will last me for the duration.  

#80 Jalan

Jalan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98653
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:pingjeff
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:36 PM

View Postblehnhard, on 19 October 2016 - 05:49 AM, said:

Righty here - 73 yrs old - had RH replaced on May 5th this year (anterior approach).  Played golf in 5.5 weeks - maybe at 60%.  Did a 4 day golf trip in 8 weeks - maybe playing at 75%.  I have been at full strength since early Sept - 4 months after surgery.  Recovery time is quicker with the anterior (frontal) incision as they do not cut any muscle like they do with the older (side or rear) method.  Did 4 weeks of PT starting the week after surgery - twice a week.

Was on a walker for about a week and needed a cane for about 10 days after that.

Bruce
There is a lot more to hip replacement that recovery time.  Heres a LINK which may help you make a decision, Or at least get more information.  I asked my surgeon the same question ( I am having hip replacement surgery on the 15th of this month).  His answer: "In the hands of a good surgeon, they are about equal. However, if there is ever a need to go in to repair anything, it Is ALWAYS done from the posterior side."  Talk to your surgeon and follow his advice. It's the best advice you'll get.

Good Luck, and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Edited by Jalan, 11 November 2017 - 06:37 PM.

2016 M1 9.5º with White Tie 6x4 in R flex
SLDR HL 3W
Callaway XR Hybrids 3 and 4 with factory Matrix 5.5 Graphite
3-P, A, SW Callaway CF16 Apex Irons w/KBS Tour 90 R flex
Scratch 8620 D/S 60º wedge
SC California Monterey 34"
K Sig
Pro V1

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 tyorke1

tyorke1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:07 PM

what are considered the best materials if your a golfer

#82 kenwiggins11

kenwiggins11

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117327
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:57 AM

I recovered fairly quickly was playing Bandon 4 1/2 months post op. Oneputt was a huge help! 1st few days sucked pain, bummed because of the unknown. Eventually all that subsided and I went to work. Two weeks after post op small squats on a bosa ball. Not sure why Iím sideways. Any way feel free to hit me up if you have any questions or concerns. I know i asked one putt a ton.

Attached Thumbnails

• 690AA3FC-AA27-49C7-80B4-EF35CF675E3F.jpeg
  • C887D1CD-AD3D-45A7-8E22-1E1710F05F01.jpeg

Edited by kenwiggins11, 12 November 2017 - 02:14 AM.

#83 tyorke1

tyorke1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:02 AM

Ken how long before full all out swings.

#84 Man_O_War

Man_O_War

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135721
GolfWRX Likes : 778

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:16 AM

so basically people without hip/knee issues should start  building strong quads and hamstrings now!!!
Cobra LTD Pro Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 661
Cobra LTD 3/4  Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5  Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*/Cobra F6 Tour Issue Hybrid 3/4 UST IROD/
Srixon Z945 4-PW Modus3 125
Nike Engage Wedges 52 sq, 54 sq, 58 TS, 60 TS KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 Black/Bettinardi Studio Stock #2/B Grace Artist Series
Nike RZN tour Plat/Black/Srixon Z-STAR XV

#85 ddetts

ddetts

Ty Webb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

View Posttyorke1, on 12 November 2017 - 04:02 AM, said:

Ken how long before full all out swings.

For me, I could make practice swings in my basement (it was still winter where I live) around 4 weeks without issue issue. I played 18 holes I think just around 8 weeks post-op, and I wasn't going around just swinging easy. I started physical therapy at week 2 and continued for almost 10 weeks. I was doing the at home simple exercises (quad sets, heel slides, etc) from Day 0 until my first PT appointment.

View PostMan_O_War, on 12 November 2017 - 07:16 AM, said:

so basically people without hip/knee issues should start  building strong quads and hamstrings now!!!

In my experience and from what I have read from numerous others, the more you can do to either maintain or add strength to your posterior chain muscles (glutes, quads, hip flexors) & core the easier recovery will be. Obviously it's easier to do exercise/strength training when you don't have bad/constant joint pain, so the short answer is yes.

View Posttyorke1, on 11 November 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

what are considered the best materials if your a golfer

The materials that your surgeon thinks will work best for your case. Every person is a unique case for the doctor - everything from age, size of your bones, bone quality, your anatomy, any other conditions you have, etc will dictate that decision. This being said, the two "best" combinations of materials in terms of how long they are projected to last and the wear properties/particles:
  • Ceramic on ceramic (ceramic ball replaces the femural head and ceramic cup liner
    • This has the lowest wear over all surface combinations, however it's reported that anywhere from 5-10% of these end up squeaking
  • Ceramic on highly cross-linked polyethelene (ceramic ball replaces the femural head and the poly (which is a really high grade, low wear plastic) lines the cup)
    • This also has extremely low wear
Most of the big orthopedics manufacturers have both of these combinations in their suite of products. If you want to read up a little on particulars, the models I got were a Zimmer/Biomet M/L taper stem (part that goes into your femur), a Biolox Delta ceramic head, Continuum acetabular cup, and a Vivacit-E highly cross-linked polyethelene liner.

http://www.zimmerbio...ionals/hip.html

As others have said, the most important decision you can make, is picking a good surgeon. If you know people that work in the medical community in your area ask who is the best. If you're in a smaller community, travel to a big hospital and see a top rated guy/gal that does hundreds of hips a year.

Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

#86 ddetts

ddetts

Ty Webb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

View PostJalan, on 11 November 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

View Postblehnhard, on 19 October 2016 - 05:49 AM, said:

Righty here - 73 yrs old - had RH replaced on May 5th this year (anterior approach).  Played golf in 5.5 weeks - maybe at 60%.  Did a 4 day golf trip in 8 weeks - maybe playing at 75%.  I have been at full strength since early Sept - 4 months after surgery.  Recovery time is quicker with the anterior (frontal) incision as they do not cut any muscle like they do with the older (side or rear) method.  Did 4 weeks of PT starting the week after surgery - twice a week.

Was on a walker for about a week and needed a cane for about 10 days after that.

Bruce
There is a lot more to hip replacement that recovery time.  Heres a LINK which may help you make a decision, Or at least get more information.  I asked my surgeon the same question ( I am having hip replacement surgery on the 15th of this month).  His answer: "In the hands of a good surgeon, they are about equal. However, if there is ever a need to go in to repair anything, it Is ALWAYS done from the posterior side."  Talk to your surgeon and follow his advice. It's the best advice you'll get.

Good Luck, and wishing you a speedy recovery.

I won't dispute this, as I have read enough published medical research that does seem to back up that at the 3 month post-op time frame patients are typically in the same place in recovery regardless of approach. Where I will counter though, is in those first 2-4 weeks, having anterior approach and no restrictions was awesome. I didn't have to worry about bending over, about going past 90*, about pivoting on my leg, etc. I could sleep in any position I wanted, and I actually had no trouble sleeping even on the first night.
Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

#87 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,965 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:12 AM

View Postddetts, on 13 November 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

In my experience and from what I have read from numerous others, the more you can do to either maintain or add strength to your posterior chain muscles (glutes, quads, hip flexors) & core the easier recovery will be. Obviously it's easier to do exercise/strength training when you don't have bad/constant joint pain, so the short answer is yes.

What Ddetts is saying here is correct There was a big difference in my recovery time vs Ken's because he was in much better shape that I was pre surgery. I was basically sedentary for almost 3 years before I had my surgery which contributed to a lot of muscle loss. This was a big setback in my recovery, and honestly something I am still working on with my hikes and at home workouts.

Edited by One_Putt_Blunder, 14 November 2017 - 11:13 AM.

@oneputtblunder
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
WITB Link

#88 ddetts

ddetts

Ty Webb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

View PostOne_Putt_Blunder, on 14 November 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

View Postddetts, on 13 November 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

What Ddetts is saying here is correct There was a big difference in my recovery time vs Ken's because he was in much better shape that I was pre surgery. I was basically sedentary for almost 3 years before I had my surgery which contributed to a lot of muscle loss. This was a big setback in my recovery, and honestly something I am still working on with my hikes and at home workouts.

I recovered pretty well, overall but my leg was pretty weak and my movements off from compensating. This was mostly due to having a prior hip preservation surgery only 8 months before the replacement that attempted to save my hip rather than needing a replacement. I was on crutches and non-weight bearing on my right leg for 12 weeks.

For the 8 weeks leading up to my surgery, I was doing 30+ minutes of stationary cycling and/or elliptical work trying to at least get some strength built back up prior to surgery.
Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

#89 tyorke1

tyorke1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:26 PM

Great info,My dr does not do the Anterior procedure. He does do alot of posterior. I can pick what ever materials I want. I simply want what is the best , I don't like the thought of squeaks,at 52 I need this to last and being an active guy and a job that requires  physical restraints I need something that is duarable. My time off work will be longer due to the nature of work.

#90 ddetts

ddetts

Ty Webb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

View Posttyorke1, on 14 November 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

Great info,My dr does not do the Anterior procedure. He does do alot of posterior. I can pick what ever materials I want. I simply want what is the best , I don't like the thought of squeaks,at 52 I need this to last and being an active guy and a job that requires  physical restraints I need something that is duarable. My time off work will be longer due to the nature of work.

I'm only 34, so if you think you want yours to last, imagine how I feel! I'm hopeful that with the new materials (ceramic ball and highly cross-linked poly) that I'll only need 1 revision to swap in new parts before I gone!

Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors