Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hip Replacement - How long till you golfed again @ 100%


93 replies to this topic

#31 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

    Putting is 98%+ Mental...Numbers & Mechanics? Yea Right€

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
  • Joined: 05/26/2012
  • Location:The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene pool
GolfWRX Likes : 23105

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:07 PM

View Postshort game, on 23 October 2016 - 06:47 PM, said:

choosing surgeons is an opaque process. as a surgeon myself i had some trouble deciding. so i can imagine how difficult it is. numbers are important - however a lead surgeon at a large institution can "cherry pick" his cases, this can lead to outcomes that may look better than they really are because high risk cases have gone elsewhere.

i knew the regional rep for a large prosthetic company. he gave me like 5 names. 2 of the names he gave me didn't even use his prosthesis - so you knew they were good.

its really amazing to me that we don't have better metrics to choose surgeons. all of this data should be available to patients and insurance companies.
Your honesty is refreshing!!

The problem lies with Your Fellow and Lady Surgeons(though this too is a guy thing cuz whether it be Chief of Surgery at a Major Institution or the Officers in the National Organizations and specialty "colleges," well, its a guy thing).

However, #1, getting a bunch of surgeons together in one room, unless it specifically pertains to them and their self interests is like herding cats and #2, getting a committed consensus would take an Act of God.

The ranking systems on the internet are a joke and I haven't looked at one in years though I did just Google your state and the one name that popped up in one of the reviews as a "5 star" has had his privileges and his license suspended pending a state medical peer review because of his malpractice in the OR.

Regarding the "data," well you know what the insurance companies and government(Medicare & Medicaid) want those numbers for~

Under the bulls*** guise of "quality," they want to be able to(they already have and are just ratcheting down the financial wrench on you as a surgeon) put a price on every procedure and every condition and then they do a massive data dump on you, my father and every surgeon with the ICD-10's and the corresponding procedural codes and they don't give one s*** about quality or that health if that patient, he/she's your problem, they only care about how much they are paying you to take care of them.

You have an inside the ropes knowledge that the average patient does not have and the question that they should ask a PCP is "would you let him/her do your Mother/Daughter?" You can watch a Man/Woman's reaction, eyes/face and body language and detect whether they are leveling with you.

I don't know your age however my father is 73yo and winding down. As a former Chief of Renal Transplant at Presbyterian University Hospital in Pgh(1974-1998), when their Transplant program was considered #1 on the face of the earth, with Thomas Starzl running the whole show, he just shakes his head at the state of medicine today.

However, we still have the best Physicians and Surgeons on earth on our shores. Its just a little tricky finding them.

I didn't really want to get into the "cherry picking" because one, it nauseated me to my core, to the point that I dropped two surgeons from my business because of it and I had to "carry" my rep(I had 16 reps across parts of three states) cor one year to the tune of $8500/month because that is the amount that that doc put in my guy's pocket(you can do the math with me paying him and taking my cut, and I was the most generous distributor in the Tri-State area).

I am the one that basically landed this guy and when I felt he knew the system, I turned him over to the rep(LMAO, nice way to pick up $8500 a month, huh? Let me get it, secure it and you just babysit it and don't f*** it up, lmao).

Well, his 9 hips and 6 knees with me were what I call "PC's," ie., Perfect Candidate, age wise, health wise, Life style wise, etc. I just figured that he scheduled these "vanilla virgins" because he was new on the system and wanted to get used to the instrumentation, as otherwise hips are hips.

Well, my guy comes back about 4-5 weeks in and I'm looking at his pre-OP x-rays of his last month's cases for a training session and I notice they are all "PC's" but two, and one of those was twenty some pounds overweight and the other a female smoker(females have a predilection to osteoporosis, the thinning of their bones and smoking hastens that. This is to the guys on the board and not you SG :) ).

So I stop in and see this doc and I asked him point blank, "are you a cherry picker?" He kind of laughed uneasily though I just sat there. Long story short, I went to the hospital that afternoon, got my instrumentation and implants and started writing my rep a check until he recouped that income 13 months later(it took 2 docs as this guy was a Hitter).

Happened with another doc but yea, numbers, just like in any industry, can be deceiving and tell ya what they want ya to see.

#2, a guy/gal off the street won't be able to really analyze the numbers like I can. However, make no mistake, you want a guy/gal doing over a couple hundred a year and preferably over 300, however there is a fine line between doing the "right" number and running an assembly line.

That surgeon can be just as bad as the one who doesn't do enough because its almost like a race from the time he hits his first room(they usually have two rooms going saltaneously and at least one surgical PA at their side) to when he walks out of his last room when he's done(again, this is a guy thing, lol)

Well, I don't know your location but they don't get any better than Gross down there and he seemed like a good Person, however   ya don't have to like him as long as he gets the job done, lol.

Again, thanks for your candor and the best to You!!

God Speed,
Richard

Edited by Forged4ever, 23 October 2016 - 08:15 PM.

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~

But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....



GHIN: Beefeater 24

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 668

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:48 PM

View Postblehnhard, on 19 October 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

My hip was $11,500.  Surgeons fee was $4800 and hospital costs were just under $20K.  Medicare and Supplemental Policy covered all but $150 for prescriptions.  Only 1 night in hospital.

Bruce

Not quite on topic but how can the hospital costs be $20K if you were only there for 1 night ?
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*
Ping G20 5-U, DG S300
Callaway PM 56* SW & 64* LW
Cure RX2 (today)
Currently testing golf balls - TM TP5 in the lead

2

#33 tyorke1

tyorke1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33236
  • Joined: 06/29/2007
  • Location:PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND , CANADA
GolfWRX Likes : 387

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:05 AM

sorry, think we may be not talking same thing. I don't have a false hip now but my real hip is degenerating and within 5 yrs or less I will need an new hip replacement . this is some great stuff. thanks

3

#34 Gautama

Gautama

    No golfer has ever worked so hard to accomplish so little . . .

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 282318
  • Joined: 10/31/2013
  • Handicap:9.83
  • Ebay ID:caad5al
GolfWRX Likes : 279

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:10 PM

I had my right hip replaced about exactly one year ago. I was 47 at the time and in good shape. They came in from the front and honestly recovery was a breeze...real pain for a week, sporadic (but intense) pain the second week, then it was improvement every day. The hardest thing for me was following the MDs orders.  I don't remember when I first took a full swing, but it was soon, on a covered & heated range. I went to just hit some little chips and pitches but by the time I left I was swinging confidently and completely pain free. My swing was much freer as well without that right hip pain that had been my constant companion for years.

Follow your doctor's and physical therapist's orders to the letter and honestly it will be a complete non-event in your life. It's a really easy and life changing surgery 👍

4

#35 xgolfx

xgolfx

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139737
  • Joined: 09/22/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 770

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:21 PM

I had my right hip replaced in 2012. My left hip was replaced March 30,2016. Today, I hit about 100 full shots and chipped and putted for about 30 minutes. I also had cataract surgery in June. I am without glasses for the first time since I was 14 . I am now 80. I have no pain hitting full shots. My surgeries were done in Phoenix by Dr Ted Firestone. Both were anterior. The last procedure took 45 minutes. It was performed at 730 in the morning. I took 300 steps with a walker at 3 that afternoon. I had compression leggings for  8 hours after. 30 hours was mytotalhospital time. The cataract surgery had more effect on my golf than the hip procedures. Firestone only does hips and knees. He did Bones (Mickelson's caddy) knee. I live in Chicago, but went to Phoenix twice because  I wanted the best.

CHARLEY PENNA


5

#36 blehnhard

blehnhard

    Over The Hill & Almost Down The Other Side

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70281
  • Joined: 12/05/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:48 PM

Hospital cost includes the use of the surgical operating suite, anesthesiology, and 1 night stay in hospital.

6

#37 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
  • Joined: 05/28/2008
  • Location:Scottsdale Az
GolfWRX Likes : 3592

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

Had bilateral anterior hip replacements at 35 done 30 days apart. I'll save the whole story and skip to the bullet points

1: finding a great PT is as important as finding a great doc.
2 listen to both your surgeon and PT
3: find a gym once your pt expires and continue working out and stretching on your own. This is the big one. I felt great but when it really came time to call on my hip/leg strength i was quickly reminded i was not in as good of shape as i thought.


Time-frame
I started off putting and bump and runs at about 6 weeks after my 2nd. 3/4 swings a couple weeks later. Think i played my first full round 3 months post op on the 2nd hip.
However i really didn't feel 100% comfortable physically until 12 months and 18 months on the mental side trusting my hips in an aggressive swing.

Highlights
Shot even par 11 months after the 1st surgery.
Shot under par this year for the first time post surgery.

Still not as long off the tee as i used to be but now that I'm back in the gym it's getting better.


One last thing my hips were in bad shape both labrums shredded 0 cartilage left. Only a few mm of joint space. Less than 4 degrees range of motion. My only regret is not doing it sooner and being miserable for 4 years. I looked at it where I'd rather be pain free and active while I'm young and was willing to trade of for mobility late in life.

Edited by One_Putt_Blunder, 25 October 2016 - 03:35 PM.

@oneputtblunder
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
WITB Link

7

#38 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

    Putting is 98%+ Mental...Numbers & Mechanics? Yea Right€

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
  • Joined: 05/26/2012
  • Location:The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene pool
GolfWRX Likes : 23105

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:23 PM

View Postxgolfx, on 24 October 2016 - 10:21 PM, said:

I had my right hip replaced in 2012. My left hip was replaced March 30,2016. Today, I hit about 100 full shots and chipped and putted for about 30 minutes. I also had cataract surgery in June. I am without glasses for the first time since I was 14 . I am now 80. I have no pain hitting full shots. My surgeries were done in Phoenix by Dr Ted Firestone. Both were anterior. The last procedure took 45 minutes. It was performed at 730 in the morning. I took 300 steps with a walker at 3 that afternoon. I had compression leggings for  8 hours after. 30 hours was my total hospital time. The cataract surgery had more effect on my golf than the hip procedures. Firestone only does hips and knees. He did Bones (Mickelson's caddy) knee. I live in Chicago, but went to Phoenix twice because  I wanted the best.

CHARLEY PENNA
Small world, lol.

Ted Firestone did both my Mother's knee(lt) and hip(rt) and my father's knee(lt) and my dad's goin out in Jan/2017 for his other knee. My father was back in the OR in 2-3hr cases, 12-14 hour OR days 3 weeks after his surgery.  He was back on the course in 10 weeks. He's not a good patient and he's a PT's nightmare but he does work his a** off, lol.

Ted is up there at the top of the mountain with a few others and he hit Iconic not long after he finished his joint fellowship at Hopkins in the early 90's, long before he hit 50yo, which is very rare.

Plus, he's a super Person and doesn't have the Diva/God 'tude. A Class Act.

I'm glad that you're well Charley and I hope that you've had a nice year and season!!

Continued success & Good Health :)

Fairways & Greens, Thoughts & Prayers⛳
Richard
I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~

But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....



GHIN: Beefeater 24

8

#39 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

    Putting is 98%+ Mental...Numbers & Mechanics? Yea Right€

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
  • Joined: 05/26/2012
  • Location:The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene pool
GolfWRX Likes : 23105

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:30 PM

View PostJim Awad PGA, on 24 October 2016 - 12:02 AM, said:

View Postnsxguy, on 23 October 2016 - 08:48 PM, said:

View Postblehnhard, on 19 October 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

My hip was $11,500.  Surgeons fee was $4800 and hospital costs were just under $20K.  Medicare and Supplemental Policy covered all but $150 for prescriptions.  Only 1 night in hospital.

Bruce

Not quite on topic but how can the hospital costs be $20K if you were only there for 1 night ?

Latex-free gloves have gone way up under 'un'affordable care act...You actually made out really well. Good sup plan :)
$425-$500/screw babyyyyy, LMAO

Multiply that by 2-3 in the acetabluar component(the outer component us titanium with holes in it and an ultra-high density poly insert that snaps into it and the chrome cobalt/ceramic head articulates in it. Docs usually cement the acetabluar component into the socket and throw 2-3 screws in for enhanced fixation.

I've had guys pay more for the screws(3) than for a chrome cobalt cemented femoral stem, LMAO

Don't hate the Players, hate the game :)

All the Best,
RP

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~

But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....



GHIN: Beefeater 24

9

#40 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
  • Joined: 05/28/2008
  • Location:Scottsdale Az
GolfWRX Likes : 3592

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:42 PM

View PostForged4ever, on 25 October 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:

View Postxgolfx, on 24 October 2016 - 10:21 PM, said:

I had my right hip replaced in 2012. My left hip was replaced March 30,2016. Today, I hit about 100 full shots and chipped and putted for about 30 minutes. I also had cataract surgery in June. I am without glasses for the first time since I was 14 . I am now 80. I have no pain hitting full shots. My surgeries were done in Phoenix by Dr Ted Firestone. Both were anterior. The last procedure took 45 minutes. It was performed at 730 in the morning. I took 300 steps with a walker at 3 that afternoon. I had compression leggings for  8 hours after. 30 hours was my total hospital time. The cataract surgery had more effect on my golf than the hip procedures. Firestone only does hips and knees. He did Bones (Mickelson's caddy) knee. I live in Chicago, but went to Phoenix twice because  I wanted the best.

CHARLEY PENNA
Small world, lol.

Ted Firestone did both my Mother's knee(lt) and hip(rt) and my father's knee(lt) and my dad's goin out in Jan/2017 for his other knee. My father was back in the OR in 2-3hr cases, 12-14 hour OR days 3 weeks after his surgery.  He was back on the course in 10 weeks. He's not a good patient and he's a PT's nightmare but he does work his a** off, lol.

Ted is up there at the top of the mountain with a few others and he hit Iconic not long after he finished his joint fellowship at Hopkins in the early 90's, long before he hit 50yo, which is very rare.

Plus, he's a super Person and doesn't have the Diva/God 'tude. A Class Act.

I'm glad that you're well Charley and I hope that you've had a nice year and season!!

Continued success & Good Health :)

Fairways & Greens, Thoughts & Prayers⛳
Richard

Firestone was my last option. I had a very hard time finding doctors who were highly qualified and that I trusted given my age at the time of surgeries. Only problem was he did not take anything but medicare or cash. I was very close to cashing out my 401k and going out of network to use him. Ended up finding DR Meyerthall at the Core Institute in Gilbert. Meyerthall did a great job the PT place I chose usually is one of Firestones and they were impressed with my recovery time and the job that Meyerthall did.

@oneputtblunder
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 xgolfx

xgolfx

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139737
  • Joined: 09/22/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 770

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:29 PM

since Medicare is my primary, I paid $7500 the first time and $6800 the second time. Add the hospital and anesthesia and airfare for wife and I,plus rental car  for another couple thousand. I stayed with my daughter in Phoenix. Also, rehab with Pt in Phoenix and Chicago, deductible. All in, I had about a $20g medical deduction for income tax. The results were worth it. I would tell anyone who needs a hip or knee done to at least talk to Firestone. There are too many horror stories of botched jobs out there.

CHARLEY PENNA

11

#42 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
  • Joined: 05/30/2011
  • Location:with my F100 @ the range
GolfWRX Likes : 340

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:03 PM

View Posttyorke1, on 23 October 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

I was told hip replacement 5 yrs or less. I had the option of cortisone or the synvisc treatment. I choose the cortisone should I have paid for the other because it's not covered.
Synvisc - chance of benefit 10%.
Cortisone - chance of benefit say 75%.

Intra-articular hip injections are tough to do (requires fluoroscopy)
Many Hands make Light Work.  Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

12

#43 tyorke1

tyorke1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33236
  • Joined: 06/29/2007
  • Location:PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND , CANADA
GolfWRX Likes : 387

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:40 PM

he did the cortisone with fluoroscopy

13

#44 tyorke1

tyorke1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33236
  • Joined: 06/29/2007
  • Location:PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND , CANADA
GolfWRX Likes : 387

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:44 PM

my questions are do's and don't for the next 5 or so yrs. Im going to stop running , does fast walking hurt it, what else are no nos. I have been doing  30min eliptical , 20min  fast walking and and 10-15 min bike for my cardio workouts  to get back in shape.

14

#45 short game

short game

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428010
  • Joined: 06/06/2016
  • Location:SC
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:32 PM

ortho is a patient driven specialty. sure referrals matter but its really more of a free market than most medical procedures. you find out you have bad hips then you get a chance to shop around. if you have a heart attack and need urgent bypass surgery - you have less of a choice.

so a surgeon that is busy and doing a lot of hips is usually pretty good. because if he sucked - people wouldn't go to him. that said you should focus on a hip specialist.

training also matters. check out the guys (or gals) background and make sure he is board certified.

finally, find out what financial relationships your surgeon has with prosthetic suppliers. they should disclose these to all patients.

Ping G 400 10.5 Driver; Aldila Copper X-torsion 50R
Ping G 400 5 wood and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 and 5 hybrid
Ping i200 6 - UW
Vokey SM6 60 (K-grind), 55 (S-grind)
Betti BB 54 / Ping Tyne

Titelst Pro V1X

15

#46 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

    Putting is 98%+ Mental...Numbers & Mechanics? Yea Right€

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
  • Joined: 05/26/2012
  • Location:The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene pool
GolfWRX Likes : 23105

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:33 PM

View Postshort game, on 26 October 2016 - 07:32 PM, said:

finally, find out what financial relationships your surgeon has with prosthetic suppliers. they should disclose these to all patients.
Very very few docs in today's marketplace are getting "clinician's" fees for their joints and you will know if you are part of a clinical because this MUST and WILL be disclosed to you.

There are no "under the table" payments going on today because it is extremely closely monitored and a doc WILL lose his license, face heavy fines that will be treble whatever they determine his take was and their(the feds) number is usually always higher than the actual number.

Your Biggest Dogs are usually Clinicians though not always and they are not in any way compromising quality for a buck. As Short Gamecan verify, you Biggest Hitters and the Gents mentioned in this thread are well into seven figures just off of their case load.

They don't need s*** from an implant company and if they do sign on as a Clinician, that requires a lot of work on both the surgeon's part and and the Company's/distributor's(some companies go with a direct sales force and some independent distrubutors, which is almost extinct. I was one of the last two in the Tri-State area when I sold) part. I had to hire two FTE's who's sole responsibility was to follow-up administratively with the surgeons on all post-op follow-up at 6 months, 1 year, 3 year, 5 year and if relevent, 7 & 10 years. The total reimbursement for a 5 year follow-up is $600/joint at $150/follow-up marker. Where companies, distributors and Surgeons were getting into hot water was that "back in the day(80's into early 90's) distributors were giving the whole $600 at 30 and 60 days post-OP and they were doing all if the required paperwork and follow-up, they just got paid all the money up front, or say $300 at 30 days and another $300 2 months out(Moi :) ).

Everyone did it if ya wanted to Play. Then the government said cease and desist. A few continued, as will happen, they got nailed, the distributorships got fines six figures to a couple of mill, the manufactures tens of mills(Zimmer got hit for $60 mill, Depuy $40 mill) and the docs $2-6.5 mill with a few goin to club fed on tax evasion charges. When they said stop, I and my docs stopped.

We were still making nice coin, but greed is a very powerful emotion.

Plus, like I said, Blades are Blades, Hips are Hips & Knees are Knees.

Believe my BroMeisters, it's the Indian, not the arrow :)

Unless of course the arrow is made by Stryker or Depuw, LMAO

Stay well my Friends,
RP

Edited by Forged4ever, 26 October 2016 - 08:37 PM.

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~

But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....



GHIN: Beefeater 24

16

#47 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

    Putting is 98%+ Mental...Numbers & Mechanics? Yea Right€

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
  • Joined: 05/26/2012
  • Location:The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene pool
GolfWRX Likes : 23105

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:39 PM

View Posttyorke1, on 26 October 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

my questions are do's and don't for the next 5 or so yrs. Im going to stop running , does fast walking hurt it, what else are no nos. I have been doing  30min eliptical , 20min  fast walking and and 10-15 min bike for my cardio workouts  to get back in shape.
Bro, message Drew21 and talk to him. Along with being a Therapist/Trainer, he's as good as it gets as a Person. He's got a thrrad in this section.

The Best To Ya :)

Regards,
Richard

Edited by Forged4ever, 26 October 2016 - 08:40 PM.

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~

But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....



GHIN: Beefeater 24

17

#48 ddetts

ddetts

    Ty Webb

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Joined: 08/13/2008
  • Location:Sioux Falls, SD
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:44 PM

View Posteighteen, on 18 October 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

Hi all,

A couple of days ago, after 2.5 years of pain and multiple doctors I was definitively told I needed a hip replacement. Having just turned 40, it is a bit of a shock/disappointment, but it will be nice to be pain free, hopefully, soon.

I have read quite a few posts on here about returning from injuries, including a couple on hip replacements. I just wanted to ask those of you who may have had one, how long until you could go back to full out on the course?

I am a lefty and need my right hip replaced, do you think this impacts recovery, it being the lead leg?

Again, I have looked here and read dozens of medical sites talking about recovery, but I am looking for the actual life experiences of other golfers, not just what WebMB and the Mayo Clinic site suggest as recovery time  ;-)

Thanks for any feedback.

dh

I'm 33 and will be having my right hip replaced soon.  I had the misfortune of getting avascular necrosis (aka osteonecrosis) in my hips.  At the moment my left hip is ok and I don't have any pain or flattening of the femoral head.

I appreciate reading all of this thread so far as there's been some great information.  I'm pretty worries of course, not due to what life will be like after as it seems I'll be able to do all the things I love after surgery.  However, given my young age I am worried about the number of revision surgeries I may be facing over my lifetime.  I have spent a lot of time learning about the various surgical approaches and device materials and it can be overwhelming trying to separate facts from marketing.

Richard - if you wouldn't mind I have a few questions

1. What are your thoughts on some of the "newer" technologies in device materials?  One of the trends I'm seeing more of are dual mobility or dual bearing prosthetics (Stryker ADM/MDM, Biomet G7, etc.)?  They promoted as having reduced risk of dislocation and lower wear properties due to the dual articulation.

2. What in your opinion is the best material combination for young and active patients?  I've read that Ceramic on Ceramic implants offer the lowest wear of any combination and have the potential to last 30+ years (perhaps even longer).  I find the Verilast (OXINIUM Oxidized Zirconium, a ceramicised metal alloy) system by Smith & Nephew very interesting, is there much data to support that this combination will last a very long time?

3. I also have seen an number of femoral stems that are described as "bone sparing".  Would this be a good option for a young patient who is likely looking at a couple of revisions in the future or is this just marketing again?

Thanks in advance
Nike Vapor Pro, Diamana S+
Taylor Made '17 M2 16.5*, Reax 65 S
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18*, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 / MP 15 5-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

18

#49 ddetts

ddetts

    Ty Webb

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Joined: 08/13/2008
  • Location:Sioux Falls, SD
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:53 PM

View PostForged4ever, on 26 October 2016 - 08:39 PM, said:

View Posttyorke1, on 26 October 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

my questions are do's and don't for the next 5 or so yrs. Im going to stop running , does fast walking hurt it, what else are no nos. I have been doing  30min eliptical , 20min  fast walking and and 10-15 min bike for my cardio workouts  to get back in shape.
Bro, message Drew21 and talk to him. Along with being a Therapist/Trainer, he's as good as it gets as a Person. He's got a thrrad in this section.

The Best To Ya :)

Regards,
Richard

It just occurred to me in my previous post that I didn't reply to your post Richard, so you likely didn't see my questions in the above post.  If you could be so kind as to share your opinion on the questions in my above post when you have time, I would greatly appreciate the insight.
Nike Vapor Pro, Diamana S+
Taylor Made '17 M2 16.5*, Reax 65 S
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18*, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 / MP 15 5-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

19

#50 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

    Putting is 98%+ Mental...Numbers & Mechanics? Yea Right€

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
  • Joined: 05/26/2012
  • Location:The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene pool
GolfWRX Likes : 23105

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:17 AM

View Postddetts, on 14 November 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

View PostForged4ever, on 26 October 2016 - 08:39 PM, said:

View Posttyorke1, on 26 October 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

my questions are do's and don't for the next 5 or so yrs. Im going to stop running , does fast walking hurt it, what else are no nos. I have been doing  30min eliptical , 20min  fast walking and and 10-15 min bike for my cardio workouts  to get back in shape.
Bro, message Drew21 and talk to him. Along with being a Therapist/Trainer, he's as good as it gets as a Person. He's got a thrrad in this section.

The Best To Ya :)

Regards,
Richard

It just occurred to me in my previous post that I didn't reply to your post Richard, so you likely didn't see my questions in the above post.  If you could be so kind as to share your opinion on the questions in my above post when you have time, I would greatly appreciate the insight.
Hey Bro, I hope that you are well :)

I am sorry that I didn't make myself clear in my previous post as many times I am medicated and I tend to ramble, lol.

Regarding your questions, like the golf swing, I am not remotely qualified to give what amounts to medical advice. I am in a position to speak to the surgical side of hip/knee arthroplasty based on my education, training and professional experience in working with and instructing surgeons on the procedures however that knowledge and expertise does not metastasize into the rehab area and beyond.

I realize that surgeons can speak to this however I chose to concentrate my knowledge and direct both my intellectual and physical skills and ability to the surgical side of the equation.

This is why I directed you to Drew21.

As a Therapist/Trainer, he is well qualified to speak and to recommended post-op short mid and long term activities plus he is a Wonderful Person and will take the time to speak with you.

Again, apologies for leaving you hanging :)

Best wishes for a wonderful and healthy Thanksgiving and Holiday season :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend⛳
Richard

Edited by Forged4ever, 15 November 2016 - 01:07 PM.

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~

But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....



GHIN: Beefeater 24

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 ddetts

ddetts

    Ty Webb

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Joined: 08/13/2008
  • Location:Sioux Falls, SD
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:36 AM

View PostForged4ever, on 15 November 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

View Postddetts, on 14 November 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

View PostForged4ever, on 26 October 2016 - 08:39 PM, said:

View Posttyorke1, on 26 October 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

my questions are do's and don't for the next 5 or so yrs. Im going to stop running , does fast walking hurt it, what else are no nos. I have been doing  30min eliptical , 20min  fast walking and and 10-15 min bike for my cardio workouts  to get back in shape.
Bro, message Drew21 and talk to him. Along with being a Therapist/Trainer, he's as good as it gets as a Person. He's got a thrrad in this section.

The Best To Ya :)

Regards,
Richard

It just occurred to me in my previous post that I didn't reply to your post Richard, so you likely didn't see my questions in the above post.  If you could be so kind as to share your opinion on the questions in my above post when you have time, I would greatly appreciate the insight.
Hey Bro, I hope that you are well :)

I am sorry that I didn't make myself clear in my previous post as many times I am medicated and I tend to ramble, lol.

Regarding your questions, like the golf swing, I am not remotely qualified to give what amounts to medical advice. I am in a position to speak to the surgical side of hip/knee arthroplasty based on my education, training and professional experience in working with and instructing surgeons on the procedures however that knowledge and expertise does not metastasize into the rehab area and beyond.

I realize that surgeons can speak to this however I chose to concentrate my knowledge and direct both my intellectual and physical skills and ability to the surgical side of the equation.

This is why I directed you to Drew21.

As a Therapist/Trainer, he is well qualified to speak to recommended post-op short mid and long term activities plus he is a Wonderful Person and will take the time to speak with you.

Again, apologies for leaving you hanging :)

Best wishes for a wonderful and healthy Thanksgiving and Holiday season :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend⛳
Richard

No need to apologize and certainly didn't leave me hanging.  I wasn't in the original discussion in this thread I wasn't the original poster in this reply.  That being said, I'm not looking for any input on physical therapy, rehab, exercise, etc.  My questions are regarding the surgical techniques and, more specifically some of the "newer" advancements in technology for the implants and materials used for the ball and liner.  I do realize that much of this will be based on surgeon preference based on the company(s) he uses and what surgical approach he uses as well as my own anatomy and case but I'm still interested in your thoughts.

I copied and pasted my original questions below:


1. What are your thoughts on some of the "newer" technologies in device materials?  One of the trends I'm seeing more of are so called dual mobility/dual bearing prosthetics (Stryker ADM/MDM, Biomet G7, etc.) where there's a ball inside of a ball?  They are promoted as having reduced risk of dislocation and lower wear properties due to the dual articulation.  It seems they've been used in Europe more commonly and for some time compared with the US.  Are they better than a standard ball and socket or is it mostly marketing hype?

2. What in your opinion is the best material combination for young and active patients?  I've read that Ceramic on Ceramic implants offer the lowest wear of any combination and have the potential to last 30+ years (perhaps even longer).  I find the Verilast (OXINIUM Oxidized Zirconium, a ceramicised metal alloy) system by Smith & Nephew very interesting, is there much data to support that this combination will last a very long time?

3. I also have seen an number of femoral stems that are described as "bone sparing".  I'm not sure if that means the surgeon resects less of the femoral neck or what.  Would this be a good option for a young patient who is likely looking at a couple of revisions in the future or is this just marketing again?


Also, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.  I hope you have a great holiday weekend.

Edited by ddetts, 15 November 2016 - 11:37 AM.

Nike Vapor Pro, Diamana S+
Taylor Made '17 M2 16.5*, Reax 65 S
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18*, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 / MP 15 5-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

21

#52 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

    Putting is 98%+ Mental...Numbers & Mechanics? Yea Right€

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
  • Joined: 05/26/2012
  • Location:The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene pool
GolfWRX Likes : 23105

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:00 PM

View Postddetts, on 15 November 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

View PostForged4ever, on 15 November 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

View Postddetts, on 14 November 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

View PostForged4ever, on 26 October 2016 - 08:39 PM, said:

View Posttyorke1, on 26 October 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

my questions are do's and don't for the next 5 or so yrs. Im going to stop running , does fast walking hurt it, what else are no nos. I have been doing  30min eliptical , 20min  fast walking and and 10-15 min bike for my cardio workouts  to get back in shape.
Bro, message Drew21 and talk to him. Along with being a Therapist/Trainer, he's as good as it gets as a Person. He's got a thrrad in this section.

The Best To Ya :)

Regards,
Richard

It just occurred to me in my previous post that I didn't reply to your post Richard, so you likely didn't see my questions in the above post.  If you could be so kind as to share your opinion on the questions in my above post when you have time, I would greatly appreciate the insight.
Hey Bro, I hope that you are well :)

I am sorry that I didn't make myself clear in my previous post as many times I am medicated and I tend to ramble, lol.

Regarding your questions, like the golf swing, I am not remotely qualified to give what amounts to medical advice. I am in a position to speak to the surgical side of hip/knee arthroplasty based on my education, training and professional experience in working with and instructing surgeons on the procedures however that knowledge and expertise does not metastasize into the rehab area and beyond.

I realize that surgeons can speak to this however I chose to concentrate my knowledge and direct both my intellectual and physical skills and ability to the surgical side of the equation.

This is why I directed you to Drew21.

As a Therapist/Trainer, he is well qualified to speak to recommended post-op short mid and long term activities plus he is a Wonderful Person and will take the time to speak with you.

Again, apologies for leaving you hanging :)

Best wishes for a wonderful and healthy Thanksgiving and Holiday season :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend⛳
Richard

No need to apologize and certainly didn't leave me hanging.  I wasn't in the original discussion in this thread I wasn't the original poster in this reply.  That being said, I'm not looking for any input on physical therapy, rehab, exercise, etc.  My questions are regarding the surgical techniques and, more specifically some of the "newer" advancements in technology for the implants and materials used for the ball and liner.  I do realize that much of this will be based on surgeon preference based on the company(s) he uses and what surgical approach he uses as well as my own anatomy and case but I'm still interested in your thoughts.

I copied and pasted my original questions below:


1. What are your thoughts on some of the "newer" technologies in device materials?  One of the trends I'm seeing more of are so called dual mobility/dual bearing prosthetics (Stryker ADM/MDM, Biomet G7, etc.) where there's a ball inside of a ball?  They are promoted as having reduced risk of dislocation and lower wear properties due to the dual articulation.  It seems they've been used in Europe more commonly and for some time compared with the US.  Are they better than a standard ball and socket or is it mostly marketing hype?

2. What in your opinion is the best material combination for young and active patients?  I've read that Ceramic on Ceramic implants offer the lowest wear of any combination and have the potential to last 30+ years (perhaps even longer).  I find the Verilast (OXINIUM Oxidized Zirconium, a ceramicised metal alloy) system by Smith & Nephew very interesting, is there much data to support that this combination will last a very long time?

3. I also have seen an number of femoral stems that are described as "bone sparing".  I'm not sure if that means the surgeon resects less of the femoral neck or what.  Would this be a good option for a young patient who is likely looking at a couple of revisions in the future or is this just marketing again?


Also, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.  I hope you have a great holiday weekend.
HahHa, now you're in my area of expertise, or at least in my own mind, lmao. I didn't see any of these questions, only the ones regarding post-op activities. I am in IV's and will be heading to chemo this afternoon so I will get back at ya this evening, when I'm back in one area for an extended period of time.

On a quick note, Europe has looser standards than the US with regards to introducing products into the public market place due to the FDA. This has pluses and minuses, like any bearocracy and I'll get into it in more depth later however I think in a perfect world, I would have standards somewhere between Europe's regulatory control and the current FDA standards.

I didn't notice if you put this but if you don't mind answering these questions or if ya do, email me at rpjii84 at gmail dot com:

1) Age
2) Height/weight
3) General health, also are you smoker, drink more than 2 glasses of wine a day or the equivalent?
4) Prior history of effected joint(past traumas, surgeries, etc., if any)?
5) preoperative activity level and post-operative activity level/sports goals?

Have a nice afternoon and I'll get back at ya tonight.

All the Best,
RP

Edited by Forged4ever, 15 November 2016 - 04:00 PM.

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~

But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....



GHIN: Beefeater 24

22

#53 ddetts

ddetts

    Ty Webb

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Joined: 08/13/2008
  • Location:Sioux Falls, SD
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

View PostForged4ever, on 15 November 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

I didn't notice if you put this but if you don't mind answering these questions or if ya do, email me at rpjii84 at gmail dot com:

1) Age
2) Height/weight
3) General health, also are you smoker, drink more than 2 glasses of wine a day or the equivalent?
4) Prior history of effected joint(past traumas, surgeries, etc., if any)?
5) preoperative activity level and post-operative activity level/sports goals?

Have a nice afternoon and I'll get back at ya tonight.

All the Best,
RP

Thanks - responded via email!
Nike Vapor Pro, Diamana S+
Taylor Made '17 M2 16.5*, Reax 65 S
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18*, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 / MP 15 5-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

23

#54 xgolfx

xgolfx

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139737
  • Joined: 09/22/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 770

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:25 PM

Bones Mackay had both knees done by Firestone in October

CHARLEY PENNAhttp://www.golfdigest.com/story/mickelson-caddie-bones-mackay-has-double-knee-replacement-surgery

24

#55 xgolfx

xgolfx

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139737
  • Joined: 09/22/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 770

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:32 PM

Bones http://www.golfdiges...elson-caddie-bo nes-mackay-has-double-knee-replacement-surgery

Firestone did Bones Mackay last month

CHARLEY PENNA


25

#56 ddetts

ddetts

    Ty Webb

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Joined: 08/13/2008
  • Location:Sioux Falls, SD
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

View PostForged4ever, on 15 November 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

HahHa, now you're in my area of expertise, or at least in my own mind, lmao. I didn't see any of these questions, only the ones regarding post-op activities. I am in IV's and will be heading to chemo this afternoon so I will get back at ya this evening, when I'm back in one area for an extended period of time.

On a quick note, Europe has looser standards than the US with regards to introducing products into the public market place due to the FDA. This has pluses and minuses, like any bearocracy and I'll get into it in more depth later however I think in a perfect world, I would have standards somewhere between Europe's regulatory control and the current FDA standards.

I didn't notice if you put this but if you don't mind answering these questions or if ya do, email me at rpjii84 at gmail dot com:

1) Age
2) Height/weight
3) General health, also are you smoker, drink more than 2 glasses of wine a day or the equivalent?
4) Prior history of effected joint(past traumas, surgeries, etc., if any)?
5) preoperative activity level and post-operative activity level/sports goals?

Have a nice afternoon and I'll get back at ya tonight.

All the Best,
RP

Just checking in to see if you'd had any chance look at this and put any thoughts together, thanks.
Nike Vapor Pro, Diamana S+
Taylor Made '17 M2 16.5*, Reax 65 S
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18*, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 / MP 15 5-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

26

#57 ddetts

ddetts

    Ty Webb

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Joined: 08/13/2008
  • Location:Sioux Falls, SD
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:25 PM

View Posteighteen, on 18 October 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

Hi all,

A couple of days ago, after 2.5 years of pain and multiple doctors I was definitively told I needed a hip replacement. Having just turned 40, it is a bit of a shock/disappointment, but it will be nice to be pain free, hopefully, soon.

I have read quite a few posts on here about returning from injuries, including a couple on hip replacements. I just wanted to ask those of you who may have had one, how long until you could go back to full out on the course?

I am a lefty and need my right hip replaced, do you think this impacts recovery, it being the lead leg?

Again, I have looked here and read dozens of medical sites talking about recovery, but I am looking for the actual life experiences of other golfers, not just what WebMB and the Mayo Clinic site suggest as recovery time  ;-)

Thanks for any feedback.

dh

Did you ever end up getting your replacement?  If so, how are you doing now?  I'm 7 weeks post op today.
Nike Vapor Pro, Diamana S+
Taylor Made '17 M2 16.5*, Reax 65 S
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18*, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 / MP 15 5-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

27

#58 short game

short game

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428010
  • Joined: 06/06/2016
  • Location:SC
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:51 PM

congrats on getting to 7 or 8 weeks. I hope you are having great success with your prosthesis.
Ping G 400 10.5 Driver; Aldila Copper X-torsion 50R
Ping G 400 5 wood and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 and 5 hybrid
Ping i200 6 - UW
Vokey SM6 60 (K-grind), 55 (S-grind)
Betti BB 54 / Ping Tyne

Titelst Pro V1X

28

#59 ddetts

ddetts

    Ty Webb

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Joined: 08/13/2008
  • Location:Sioux Falls, SD
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

View Postshort game, on 20 February 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

congrats on getting to 7 or 8 weeks. I hope you are having great success with your prosthesis.

Thanks!  So far hip feels really good 95% of the time and very little pain/issues.  Actually having more trouble with knee pain, which my PT figures is probably due to muscles being weak and correcting the movement of me knee when I walk/move.  It wants to kick inward instead of over my foot when I step or bend.
Nike Vapor Pro, Diamana S+
Taylor Made '17 M2 16.5*, Reax 65 S
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18*, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 / MP 15 5-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

29

#60 ddetts

ddetts

    Ty Webb

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63197
  • Joined: 08/13/2008
  • Location:Sioux Falls, SD
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:20 AM

View PostOne_Putt_Blunder, on 25 October 2016 - 03:31 PM, said:

Had bilateral anterior hip replacements at 35 done 30 days apart. I'll save the whole story and skip to the bullet points

1: finding a great PT is as important as finding a great doc.
2 listen to both your surgeon and PT
3: find a gym once your pt expires and continue working out and stretching on your own. This is the big one. I felt great but when it really came time to call on my hip/leg strength i was quickly reminded i was not in as good of shape as i thought.


Time-frame
I started off putting and bump and runs at about 6 weeks after my 2nd. 3/4 swings a couple weeks later. Think i played my first full round 3 months post op on the 2nd hip.
However i really didn't feel 100% comfortable physically until 12 months and 18 months on the mental side trusting my hips in an aggressive swing.

Highlights
Shot even par 11 months after the 1st surgery.
Shot under par this year for the first time post surgery.

Still not as long off the tee as i used to be but now that I'm back in the gym it's getting better.


One last thing my hips were in bad shape both labrums shredded 0 cartilage left. Only a few mm of joint space. Less than 4 degrees range of motion. My only regret is not doing it sooner and being miserable for 4 years. I looked at it where I'd rather be pain free and active while I'm young and was willing to trade of for mobility late in life.

Reading this makes me feel pretty good/a bit relieved.  I'm 8 weeks today, and honestly my recovery has been easy compared to most I have spoken to.  I also had anterior, right hip only.  Stayed in the hospital about 36 hours, no pain meds after day two, walking without my crutches day 10 and having my same range of motion and flexibility as pre-surgery. My problems have been two fold - fighting knee pain which PT thinks is from weak muscle(s) and poor gait & posture before surgery.  When I walk, balance on operated leg or step/squat the knee wants bend inward and not directly over the foot like it should.  I really have to fight the knee flexing inward and am trying to stretch and strengthen that. Also, a couple of the quad muscles in the mid/upper thigh are super tight and I think are also contributing to the knee issues.

I need to keep in mind this is a long process and I'm only 8 weeks out. I think it's pretty easy to get discouraged, but have to remember it's a major surgery.  I actually played golf last Friday - 18 holes riding a cart.  Didn't swing great for the first 1/3 of the round but it came around.

Nike Vapor Pro, Diamana S+
Taylor Made '17 M2 16.5*, Reax 65 S
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18*, KBS Tour 120
Mizuno MP-54 3-4 / MP 15 5-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Mizuno MP-T5 52* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot XG-7

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors