Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hip Replacement - How long till you golfed again @ 100%

93 replies to this topic

#1 eighteen

eighteen

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250572
  • Handicap:11.7
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:06 PM

Hi all,

A couple of days ago, after 2.5 years of pain and multiple doctors I was definitively told I needed a hip replacement. Having just turned 40, it is a bit of a shock/disappointment, but it will be nice to be pain free, hopefully, soon.

I have read quite a few posts on here about returning from injuries, including a couple on hip replacements. I just wanted to ask those of you who may have had one, how long until you could go back to full out on the course?

I am a lefty and need my right hip replaced, do you think this impacts recovery, it being the lead leg?

Again, I have looked here and read dozens of medical sites talking about recovery, but I am looking for the actual life experiences of other golfers, not just what WebMB and the Mayo Clinic site suggest as recovery time  ;-)

Thanks for any feedback.

dh

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 HatsForBats

HatsForBats

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433112
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 435

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:24 PM

Not first hand but my UPS 'guy' had both hips replaced (separately). In the grand scheme of things it wasn't that long. Part of his rehab was to get out and play. He was never at 100% again but I think that was more due to his wrist problems.

#3 596

1979 Corvette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122006
GolfWRX Likes : 1254

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

Righty here and had the lead hip replaced 13 months ago.  You are much younger then me.  I had mine done at age 60.  I listened to my doctor and started hitting full shots and playing 18 holes at 10 weeks. Even though I thought I was good to go after 6 weeks, I waited and did what I was told.  I had zero pain hitting 100% at that time.  

I started putting at about 2-3 weeks.  Took a cane to get me to the putting green, but I was there.  Started chipping/pitching after about 4-5 weeks.  Nice and easy with no stress anywhere.  1/2 shots after about 8 weeks.  I play easier now then ever before.  The new hip helps a lot.  I see improvement in the golf game as well as everything I do due to the new hip.

I never had any pain or problems with this routine.  My right leg is 1" shorter, from getting hit by a car, then the leg with the hip replacement.  So I had to get "up" onto the new hip.  My hips sit way slanted in the wrong direction for the follow thru, but it adds natural tilt :cheesy:

Just listen to your doc and PT. DO NOT CUT CORNERS.  It will hurt you for the rest of your life if you do.  

#4 short game

short game

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428010
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

i have had both hips done and for total hip replacement its usually a 10-12 week layoff. the first month is difficult. research your surgeon and make sure he is good.

as far as getting back to full speed golf it really depends on your level of disability prior to THR. For me - i had bad arthritis for 20 years and had lived with the pain. as a result i had a lot of quad atrophy. one year later my quad is still lagging in strength - but catching up quickly.

now i am driving the ball further and hitting shots i never could hit before.

also Tom Watson almost won the British about a year after THR - so great golf is possible and expected.

good luck
Ping G 400 10.5 Driver; Aldila Copper X-torsion 50R
Ping G 400 5 wood and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 and 5 hybrid
Ping i200 6 - UW
Vokey SM6 60 (K-grind), 55 (S-grind)
Betti BB 54 / Ping Tyne

Titelst Pro V1X

#5 bk52

bk52

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 283904
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 701

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

Yes, my father got his hole-in-one after his hip replacement.  Follow the physician's advice and you should be as good as new.

#6 blehnhard

blehnhard

Over The Hill & Almost Down The Other Side

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70281
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:49 AM

Righty here - 73 yrs old - had RH replaced on May 5th this year (anterior approach).  Played golf in 5.5 weeks - maybe at 60%.  Did a 4 day golf trip in 8 weeks - maybe playing at 75%.  I have been at full strength since early Sept - 4 months after surgery.  Recovery time is quicker with the anterior (frontal) incision as they do not cut any muscle like they do with the older (side or rear) method.  Did 4 weeks of PT starting the week after surgery - twice a week.

Was on a walker for about a week and needed a cane for about 10 days after that.

Bruce

#7 eighteen

eighteen

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I just ask feeling a bit depressed about the whole thing considering the last year I have moved from an 18 to a 9.7.

I just shot 77 in the first tourney of the year here a couple of weeks ago, my best tournament round ever... that was with a 4 over in the front nine that saw three 3-Jack's in a row.

Back nine of 1 over...it could have been a beaut for me without the three putts ;-)

Hopefully being pain free I will be able to get a bit more consistent and longer.

#8 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 340

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:28 PM

View Posteighteen, on 18 October 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

told I needed a hip replacement. Having just turned 40
40 ?  Wowza.

What kind are you getting ?
Might be worth it to get one of the fancier ones (oxinium ? ceramic?) that last longer.

http://www.smith-nep...-heads-for-hi2/
http://www.smith-nep...ast-technology/

I dont know enough to advise you more than ... ask what type they are planning to use.  Surgeons have their favs.
The prices of hip implants varies ALOT.  From $800 to $10,000 for the hip itself.
Many Hands make Light Work.  Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

#9 blehnhard

blehnhard

Over The Hill & Almost Down The Other Side

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70281
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:29 PM

My hip was $11,500.  Surgeons fee was $4800 and hospital costs were just under $20K.  Medicare and Supplemental Policy covered all but $150 for prescriptions.  Only 1 night in hospital.

Bruce

#10 eighteen

eighteen

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:36 PM

Luckily it should be all covered, I have been referred to a Dr here that is meant to be one of the best so will see in a couple of weeks what the plan will be. The doc that referred me talked of possible ceramic on crosslinked poly. I have started reading up, and will do as best research as possible. I asked about his thoughts on hip resurfacing, he doesn't like that option due to some of the thoughts of the metal on metal and release of chromium etc in and around the joint.
Any of you have hip resurfacing vs total hip replacement?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 eighteen

eighteen

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the links. Gives me another point of research.

#12 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

Putting is 98%+ Mental...Numbers & Mechanics? Yea Right€

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
GolfWRX Likes : 23105

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:49 PM

View Posteighteen, on 19 October 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

Thanks for the feedback. I just ask feeling a bit depressed about the whole thing considering the last year I have moved from an 18 to a 9.7.

I just shot 77 in the first tourney of the year here a couple of weeks ago, my best tournament round ever... that was with a 4 over in the front nine that saw three 3-Jack's in a row.

Back nine of 1 over...it could have been a beaut for me without the three putts ;-)

Hopefully being pain free I will be able to get a bit more consistent and longer.

Bro, like anything in life, attitude is 90%+ and take the day to feel sorry for yourself then wipe that s*** outa your mind and then take care of business.

Some nice posts above me, with 596 and Short Game's being the best I've seen in this type of thread.

Though I haven't had a hip done, I did have a hip/knee implant distributorship for 18+ years, selling it in 2013, after having scrubbed in on just over 4100+ hips, along with a few knees, lol. I still teach and consult regarding procedures, protocols and surgical techniques, both in the OR and the class room(dry bones).

Commit 596's last paragraph/sentence to memory and more importantly FOLLOW IT TO THE LETTER!!

The time varies to reach 100% and as far as getting back on the course, it runs the gamut from 5-6 weeks with chipping and putting to 8-9 months for a tough revision, with 10-12 weeks being about the norm. However do not go by this type of schedule. Listen to your surgeon and therapist, and your therapist will be the most important person in your life for the next year.

Do WHAT he/she says, the WAY he/she says, WHEN he/she says!!

A few other pearls....

1) Use a golf cart- Especially when ya return to playing and Jack rides every round, getting out and walking for some shots and holes when the terrain is favorable.

2) Wear Spikeless shoes- Even soft spikes can create torsional and rotational stresses to the leg and hip joint, which you obviously want to avoid.  Cross training sneakers are also nice. Also, you might want to ask your Pro about helping you to develop a "step through" swing similar to Player's which will also help minimize rotational and torsional stresses.

3) STRENGTHEN & STRETCH!!!

4) Build up gradually- Again, this ain't a race and don't be a stud muffin. No one gives a s*** when you get back however the one thing your pards won't wanna listen to is you moaning and groaning around a golf course. LISTEN to your therapist!!

As I teach Orthopods, I myself wouldn't even talk to a guy/gal who does less than 200 a year. Yep, and that ain't that many compared to the Biggest Dogs however it is enough to where he/she(yep, I know two Ladies who I'd let do my hip or knee, one, I used to date, so I might be reluctant cuz of Maddie, LMAO) can do it on automatic and there isn't anything that they haven't seen. Any pod can do a vanilla virgin hip or knee when everything goes hunkey dorry but it's when s*** hits the fan that you want a Player at the helm.

Regarding costs, you have nothing to do with that as a surgeon uses what they use, your insurance picks up the bill and they don't need some Am making suggestions any more than DJ needs some chucklehead making club brand suggestions. Regarding the materials, that is dictated by surgeon preference and more importantly, patient profile. Just like the glitziest, latest greatest ain't the way to go with golf clubs, the tried and true is the best way to go with implants. You've got other concerns and issues to think about and this shouldn't be one of em.

Pick your surgeon and let em do their job!!

And commit 596's last sentence to memory and FOLLOW IT!!

Remember, POSITIVE ATTITUDE!!

You're gonna come back stronger and pain free!!

The Very Best to Ya Bro :)

God Bless,
Richard

Edited by Forged4ever, 19 October 2016 - 03:59 PM.

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~

But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....

GHIN: Beefeater 24

#13 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 340

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:10 PM

View Posteighteen, on 19 October 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

resurfacing would be a temporizing measure at best.
it's not done very often.

Total hip replacement is quite a successful procedure.
Recovery is quite quick.
Build up your muscles as best you can before the surgery.  Helps in the recovery.

As with all surgeries, hold off as long as you can.  And then do it !

Edited by SunkTheBirdie, 19 October 2016 - 04:26 PM.

Many Hands make Light Work.  Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

#14 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

• 13,650 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:55 PM

View PostSunkTheBirdie, on 19 October 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

View Posteighteen, on 19 October 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

resurfacing would be a temporizing measure at best.
it's not done very often.
Excellent post!

Resurfacing Arthroplasty is bulls***!

If your boi suggested that I'd find another surgeon. Like Birds said, its an extremely temporary fix and you are either at the end of the road functionally and/or pain wise and ready for the replacement or you're not.

The first gen results, 1960's-1980's were horrendous and it exited stage right only to reappear with a push by the implant manufacturers and a few whores, I'm sorry, I meant surgeons who laud claims that time and proper follow-up have yet to support.

It is much more prevalent in the UK, accounting for approximately 8% of the THA's(Total Hip Arthroplasty).

That being said, if you are going that route, again, I would ONLY let one of the Big Dogs do it, because it is a different procedure than a conventional primary THA.

There are about 12-15 of those Doggies around the country(USofA).

You definitely don't want some guy that went to a course(even if it was one in which I was an instructor LMAO), did some dry bones, observed a few procedures live and viewed a few more on video, and then wala, heda man ;)

Basically I'm speaking of 80%+ of your pods out there who would do this procedure, though in fairness most, if they didn't observe/do them in their residency/fellowship program won't have the stones to start doing them in their practice.

The short and mid term results are no better than THA with the supposed benefits being no greater.

Like I said,it's bulls*** :)

Stay well my Friends :)

All the Best,
RP

Edited by Forged4ever, 19 October 2016 - 06:10 PM.

#15 short game

short game

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:01 PM

i would echo the comments about holding off as long as you can. Even the best prosthesis will wear out in 15-20 years. sometimes PT and ROM exercises can do wonders.

as far as the type of hip - go with what your surgeon recommends. my surgeon liked metal head on cross-linked poly. its a zimmer prosthesis. i would avoid metal on metal. the metal ions thing is bad.

as a surgeon myself i always guide patients to keep their original parts as long as you can!

if you need a second opinion - john clohisy md, washington unversity, st louis.

Edited by short game, 20 October 2016 - 07:05 PM.

Ping i200 6 - UW
Betti BB 54 / Ping Tyne

Titelst Pro V1X

#16 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

• 13,650 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:11 AM

Thanks Jim :)

If you ask only one question, and please don't Google THA, read a bunch of company supported bulls*** that is dressed up as a clinical study outa Baltimore, NYC or Boston and then go in and start asking questions that you have absolutely zero depth of knowledge to ask. Any average(not great, as this only takes average :) ) pod will answer your questions and your lack of depth will prevent you from asking the REAL question to sidestep their bulls***.

The one question that you should ask is "How many primary/revision(depending on what you're having and believe me, revision is a WHOLE nother animal and if anyone reading this is having a revision, my email is rpjii84 at gmail for com. Drop me a line) hips/knees did ya do last year?" Trust me, they know down to the joint. When pods start peepee wagging, this number is platinum. If they don't, thank em and leave. Seriously. Tell em you'll be in touch and find another. That's like askin a Tour Player what his scoring average was last year. You show me one that doesn't know and I'll show ya a guy that's not long for the show.

My second/follow-up question would be the same as above except I would ask, "How many primary/revision hips/knees did ya do last year on Guys/Gals that fit my patient profile(ie., young, active, middle aged, over weight/obese(this is similar to revision, nasty animal), etc.)," and really, this could be your only question because all you care about is how many they did that fit your profile however I do have a few that get all the nasty(obese, sedentary, older, smoker/drinker) referrals from other pods who don't wanna touch em, so most if theor work is the worst case primary stuff so while they may not do a lot of young healthy former athletes, basically  a "vanilla virgin" hip/knee, they do these in their sleep skin to skin in 50-60 minutes. You just have to use your judgement if you know nothing of the surgeon and these types will tell ya and you'll be able to tell it ain't bragging just stating fact, lol.

Be careful with PCP or doc referrals unless the Guy/Gal referring is a Big Dog cuz it's proven that the majority of referrals are based on friendships versus surgical/medical abilities. Big Dogs run with and refer to Big Dogs little ones run with and refer to lil ones.

My favorite question to a PCP would be "Would you let him/her do your mother/daughter?" I never use wife cuz if the guy hates his wife, he very well might let a chop do her. Seriously, Mother/Daughter! You can tell by their response and body language if they would and are shooting straight with ya.

There are a couple more depending on their answers to those though I won't take your time here and the point is not to play "stump the surgeon," it's just to get a feel for if you want him/her as your surgeon.

You ask these two questions and you should be good to go.

When I first meet surgeons in my dry-bones classes, these are the two I'll ask except I'll either use myself for the second or if the guy's a dick(women never are, lol, this is a guy thing), I'll substitute a tough patient profile,  ie., middle age obese sedentary smoker and see what their response is. This sets the pace for the class, lol.

The very Best to All :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends,
RP

Edited by Forged4ever, 21 October 2016 - 01:54 PM.

#17 daveltb

daveltb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95944
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

I had hip resurfacing in 2007 @ 48 1/2 years old (Birmingham Hip). Left hip - right handed. No issues to date. Started playing 12 weeks post op.
Acetabulum was broken in car accident @ 20 years old. The screws used to repair the break are still in place. Surgeon made incision right over scar from initial surgery.

#18 jackaa

jackaa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 891
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:59 AM

As said in the other replies, get the best doc available that has done a lot of which ever procedure and materials they use.
If I was considering a total hip replacement then I would find the doc using the anterior approach due to less muscle cutting and faster recovery.

Having had hip surgery, it is important to go into it with the muscles as strong and flexible as possible which helps when it is time to recover and do the PT. Watch out for scar tissue as if it is not addressed with as it forms then you flexibility and mobility will be reduced and more PT with scar tissue breakup reduction may be needed.

For myself, nine years ago (at age 54),  I bought into the the bull**** hip resurfacing as another poster referenced. I did my homework comparing traditional hip replacement versus resurfacing and based upon my activities, lifestyle, knowing that in the future (10-25 years) just about any implant might need to be replaced. If I ever need a revision to total hip replacement, then I still have all of my femur that can be cut and fit with a new total device. The advantage of hip resurfacing is that it maintains the bone structure and loading of the joint,  and I was that I have been able to maintain my activities that include golf, ice hockey, skiing, tennis, cycling, hiking, and jogging too. If I had traditional total hip replacement, some of the above list of activities would not continue.

I went with one of the big doggie docs (Dr. Thomas Gross - Colombia SC) who had done thousands of these procedures. My biggest concern was the metal on metal issue. As the doc explained, this is an issue when the cup placement is not proper, or in smaller device sizes for petite woman.  I was able to validate this claim as I spoke with two other docs who do both procedure and through available device studies. I  have a metal blood test every two years and so far I am doing OK.

Recovery was not too bad with the first month being the worst (gets better every day) and by the end of the month I was driving a stick shift, walking, and biking. I did a lot of PT and waited to hit balls (full speed) for 3 months (my choice as this was in Jan- March and I live in snow/cold part of the country). I did do practice swing (short easy after month 1 , chipping and pitching in month 2, and picked up the pace until the end of the 3rd month). Month 3 was back to my normal swing. Your mileage may vary.

So go with the best doc and the procedure that best fits your activities.

Edited by jackaa, 21 October 2016 - 11:14 AM.

#19 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

• 13,650 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:15 AM

View Postdaveltb, on 21 October 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

I had hip resurfacing in 2007 @ 48 1/2 years old (Birmingham Hip). Left hip - right handed. No issues to date. Started playing 12 weeks post op.
Acetabulum was broken in car accident @ 20 years old. The screws used to repair the break are still in place. Surgeon made incision right over scar from initial surgery.
That's Great!!

You obviously had a very qualified surgeon and are the "ideal" candidate.

Look, when I say that it's a bulls*** procedure, I'm speaking to 98% of the pods and 95%+ of the patient population. Our society, and the medical/surgical community is by no means immune to the "latest is the greatest," whether it be instrumentation/implants, technology or procedures.

Simply put, conventional THA is the Gold Standard and has survived the test of time, which is the ultimate yardstick, whether it the Playing career of a Golfer or the life of an implant.

There are still too many unknown variables with resurfacing for the vast vast number of surgeons and patients. Like I said, I wouldn't even speak to a guy/gal that's not a "2%er."

Below is a 28 week follow-up on a resurfacing on a 40yo former NHLer that one of the Big Dogs did. It don't get any better than this though time will tell however if one's x-ray looks like this at 8-10 years then they are in great shape.

The bottom pic is a cementless/press fit hip on a 54yo, 6'4", 245lb Ex-NFLer at 98 months(8 years, 2 months). It don't get any better than this. Platinum!!

Continued good health with your hip, Fairways & Greens with your game & God Bless :)

Golfingly Yours,
Richard

Edited by Forged4ever, 21 October 2016 - 05:56 PM.

#20 phillygolf

phillygolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122967
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:35 AM

follow their recovery instructions, you do not want to mess up the hip

took me like 2-3 months, had full hip replacement, but i still wouldn't hit full swings for pretty long after that

Adams F11 10.5
X2 hot 15
Miz CLK hybrid 20
mp52 4-pw
Miz T-11 52, 56, 60
Tm imola

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

• 13,650 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:42 PM

View Postjackaa, on 21 October 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

As said in the other replies, get the best doc available that has done a lot of which ever procedure and materials they use.
If I was considering a total hip replacement then I would find the doc using the anterior approach due to less muscle cutting and faster recovery.
Excellent post though I have to comment on your statement that one should base their decision on the surgical approach used can like most definitive statememts, is wrought with the potential for poor outcomes, whether it be saying that whenever one is at 48yds, they should always choose a lob wedge or one should always run on 4th & 2. Of course it depends on the golfer and the situation/lie, pin placement, etc and the offensive personnel, defensive personel, game clock, field position, etc.

The approach depends on the patient and the surgeon, and no, your very best surgeons do not use either posterior or anterior exclusively. You very best use both, depending on the patient. That is like being ambidextrous because the anterior approach, along with taking 2-3 times as long as the posterior minimally invasive approach skin to skin, is a more technically demanding procedure than the posterior approach because the surgeon has impaired vision due to working between muscle planes and introperative x-rays are needed for implant positioning hiwever I have been in with a few that do not use the x-ray intrapoperatively because they have done thousands and this is where science stops and art and feel takes over. Few have this ability. Gross does in spades, though I have no idea if he uses intraoperative x-rays as I have never scrubbed in with him though I have seen his "work" at meetings and seminars and sat on two discussion panels with him and other surgeons, though the discussion was regarding other aspects of THA.

My question on "how many?" is critical with this approach!! Less than 100/year I wouldn't risk it, and there are fine fine surgeons who only use posterior approach and that is the benchmark so you are not "settling" if your doc doesn't use the anterior approach. There is also a higher risk of femural and/or ankle fracture with the anterior approach due to the more difficult exposure and positioning(the anterior requires a special table).

Regarding patient profiles, one would not use an anterior approach on a patient with significant hip deformaties, flexion contractures, osteoporotic patients or any significantly over weight or obese patients. For all but the very best, and yea your Boi is in that group, if the patient is not spot on on the BFI chart, the posterior approach should be used. Dr. Gross and those on his level know how overweight they will accept and still go anterially, though they are the 2%ers+ and the others should stick to the chart.

Your statement regarding "less muscle cutting" or as some docs are prone to chirp, "entirely muscle sparing" is not entirely accurate.

Due to a higher risk of damage to a specific nerve in the thigh, the incision may be moved more to the side, forcing an incision through the muscle bellies of the tensor fascia latae and sartorious muscles rather than in between them.

The piriformis muscle(one of 4 that allow for external rotation of the hip) is also cut to allow implantation of the femoral component. It cannot be reattached from this approach. There is also a higher risk of injury to the femoral cutaneous nerve which supplies feeling sensation to the outer thigh along with a risk of injury to the sciatic nerve from excessive retraction of the nerve during the procedure.

Regarding recovery time, yes, it is usually shorter though as I and the surgeons will tell their patients thst best case scenario, and this is REALLY patient driven, however the anterior approach can get them back in the saddle in about 1/3 the time, say 1 month versus 3 months. Again, this is best case with everyone firing on 12 cylinders.

The surgeon has to weigh the variables and make a decision based off of the patient, his/her pathology and their comfort level with the procedure.

I did not intend to get into this kind of stuff however these are facts, not opinion, and this is why the anterior approach is not the be all end all and like anything in medicine, golf and life, it depends on the man/woman with the scalpel in their hands and the patient laying on the table.

Bottom line, neither is the best and the two individuals that I would let do my hip, both use the posterior approach predominantly. Regarding recovery, it ain't a race and I'm not gettin paid to Play so it takes as long as it takes. I've always been on the shorter side of the recovery chart and hell, I even cheated death so I'm good with however long my recovery would be, lol

Excellent post Jack!

Continued good health :)

My Best,
Richard

Edited by Forged4ever, 22 October 2016 - 07:03 AM.

#22 jackaa

jackaa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 891
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:56 PM

In my conversations with two other resurfacing docs (Monte and Su) , both described Dr. Gross' work as that of an artist. They said his ability to put the implant in place and connect all that was cut was amazing. Gross said he did all of the work and even provided a document that stated that it would his hands doing the surgery.

Kind of funny, but I kind of "woke up" during surgery. I felt my body jolting and opened my eyes and it was so bright white. For a moment, I wondered "where am I". Then another jolt and I realized it was the hip surgery and they were securing the cup in my pelvis. I thought "OK, I better go back to sleep".

Later in recovery, I ask the doc if I start to come out of my "sleep" during the cup placement, or was it just a dream. He said yes you were coming out of it and we put you back under.

Edited by jackaa, 21 October 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#23 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

• 13,650 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:20 PM

View Postjackaa, on 21 October 2016 - 02:56 PM, said:

In my conversations with two other resurfacing docs (Monte and Su) , both described Dr. Gross' work as that of an artist. They said his ability to put the implant in place and connect all that was cut was amazing. Gross said he did all of the work and even provided a document that stated that it would his hands doing the surgery.

Kind of funny, but I kind of "woke up" during surgery. I felt my body jolting and opened my eyes and it was so bright white. For a moment, I wondered "where am I". Then another jolt and I realized it was the hip surgery and they were securing the cup in my pelvis. I thought "OK, I better go back to sleep".

Later in recovery, I ask the doc if I start to come out of my "sleep" during the cup placement, or was it just a dream. He said yes you were coming out of it and we put you back under.
He most definitely is an artist.

You can count on less than two hands the surgeons with his ability.

One cannot teach what he does, anymore than one can teach someone to be a Mozart or a Picasso or a Jack or a Tiger.

The science can be taught just as the basic fundamentals of a golf swing can be taught however there are a few amongst the masses of Pros who just have a swing that is a "gift," as is their ability to always have the right touch, feel and yardage for the shot required.

It is said that Speed & Size cannot be taught or coached and neither can Dr. Gross's ability.

And when he and those surgeons, regardless of their specialty, are at their best is when the s*** hits the fan either within their specialty or medically.

That is when they are simply amazing and it's hard for many to understand why many have a "God" complex.

Growing up in the household of one(Renal Transplant Surgeon), I can tell ya its infuriating at times however then I think about how I'd be if I had the commensurate ability of say Tiger or Jack except the outcome of a great "shot" was not a trophy or a million plus bucks but a life saved or a person made whole again and giving them their life back.

HaHa, Maddie thinks I'm insufferable now, LMAO

Boy, I might be worse than my father, lmao

Regarding "waking up" during procedure, though it is rare, this happens more than any hospital will admit to because when it occurs, the anesthesiologist screwed up BIG TIME.

What did it feel like?

The reason that I ask is that I awoke during last rights and I recall looking up and seeing a man in all black with his arm outstretched across my chest and I asked "what are you doing" and he ignored me and I asked a second time louder than the first and again he ignored me and as I looked up, it was like I was 2-3" under water and everything was wavy above me. Since in my mind he was ignoring me, I lashed out with my left arm, knocking the crucifix in his hand across the room, between Maddie and my dad, lmao.

They all swore that I didn't speak before lashing out yet I vividly remember asking him twice "what are you doing," though the docs said that I was still coming out of my coma and not conscious.

However when a patient speaks of "awaking" in surgery, they will ALWAYS claim that you are "dreaming" because you probably were foggy(though I believe that you were coming out of sedation) and if you moved or spoke, they can up the sedative and knock your a** out cold in less than three seconds, lol.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't read your last paragraph where he admitted that. That is very rare that they will admit that.

Have a nice weekend :)

My Best,
Richard

Edited by Forged4ever, 21 October 2016 - 04:23 PM.

#24 coldshank

coldshank

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285862
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:53 AM

I'm on year 17 of my R/H THP. I had my R/H hip replaced @ the ripe old age of 35.
I went through 3-4 docs before I found one that gave me the confidence to have the surgery.
Quite frankly, most of the MD's I consulted with wanted to keep me on some form of pain meds(Vioxx, Celebrex...or worse).
The advice was to nurse it along until I was in my 40's. The surgeon who performed my surgery GAVE ME MY LIFE BACK.
I was racked with pain: I could barely walk, sleep and golf was out of the question. I was a miserable SOB....
My disdain for pain meds and their side effects left me with no option other than surgery. I elected to have surgery performed and could not be happier.
My post surgery recovery duration was longer than the typical procedure. Due to the fact that I was "young", the surgeon did not glue the implant.
I was six(6) weeks no weight bearing until the bone gradually healed. In addition, I had the original incision from outside the thigh/ITB band. I believe the newer surgery are far less invasive through the glutes. It took a long time for that muscle/ITB to heal. I  fanatically adhered to the post-surgery protocols and PT. It was really humbling, lot of stiffness and atrophy. I felt GREAT the first day out of surgery. The original pain dwarfed the post-surgery pain.
Quite honestly, it took me year to feel 100% fully healed. Prior to the surgery, my golf swing had become a series of compensations to overcome the pain. I had to learn how to swing the club like I did prior to the deterioration of my R/H hip. I will never have explosiveness I had w/ my original parts....but...who hits the ball farther at 52 vs 34 years old?  My clubhead speed with the driver hovers somewhere between 96-101 based on how I feel. I've turned into somewhat of a poster child for my Ortho MD. He has performed multiple revision surgeries on guys like me who had the same surgery. If I could give one piece of advice, do not put on extra weight. It will take years/miles off the repaired hip joint.  I will never forget my first post-surgery visit. He was concerned that because of my age and level of fitness, I would go right out and "spin the tires" and be back in 5-7 years. The days of high impact, explosive athletic activities had to be retired. No more hockey, outdoor running/jogging skiing,tennis w/ wife, indoor volleyball etc....You will feel great and want to do this type of stuff(you can)...but you will tear up the fake hip h/w. I know the Johnson & Johnson plastic cup will eventually need to be replaced.

My Ortho MD had both HIS hips replaced 5 years after my procedure. Doc is a big guy (6'5" 240+) and has needed revision surgery. The doc's hips were part of the STRYKER recall; it was going to fail no matter what he did or his size.

Edited by coldshank, 22 October 2016 - 10:00 AM.

Driver-Callaway XR16 Speeder Stiff shaft
Fairway- TourEdge Exotics CB4 3 wood
Hybrid- TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0
Irons- PING S55 Black Dot Stiff
Wedges- Titleist SM5 50,54,58 w/Nippon 950
Putter- Odyssey Versa #7

#25 eighteen

eighteen

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:58 AM

Hi all,

Lots of great words, thanks for taking the time to respond/debate/give your two cents.
I have yet to see the doc I have been referred to, but saw the Ortho doc who has referred me today.
Realizing I am not a doctor, I know enough to ask questions so I feel informed and comfortable with the whole thing, without trying to sound as if I should be deciding on how it all goes;-)

I did ask the Ortho guy who is referring me, and who will most likely be assisting, some stuff today.

The head doc doesn't do anterior approach, based on the discussion above regarding nerves and vessels... fair enough, I don't want some doc practicing a new approach on me. It would mist likely be an un-cemented THA, with ceramic on poly joint.  He only does hips and knee replacements and of these around 10 to 12 hips a week- so has supposedly done over a thousand. I will be asking him how many revisions have been needed, as well as the question about my specific parameters (age, weight, reason for replacement etc) and how many of his previous surgeries would fit in that category.

I would love to say I am the perfect candidate, but with the level of pain and 32 months of it being difficult to do anything exercise wise, I have gained like 30 pounds in the time. I can only really golf because of carts.

I am living overseas, so it is a bit different than being back in Canada or the US, but I do have full international medical, so if I don't feel comfortable with him when I met him, I can basically go anywhere that will take the insurance, which we have been assured is top notch by our employer. I have yet to use it in the US, but have had colleagues get a couple of different major treatments at some top US hospitals. There is a small chance I can get it done the first week of November, if not then, I will probably need to wait until after Xmas, as the family and I will be traveling to Canada for the break.

In the end, I hear and get that I need to do PT properly and religiously, listen to the doc orders, not rush into stuff after as this is to set my hip up for the rest of my life, and be comfortable with the experience and skill of the surgeon.

On another note, someone mentioned no more hockey after THA, is that true? Even no-hit is off the table?

#26 NoTalentLefty

NoTalentLefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204451
GolfWRX Likes : 1078

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:16 PM

My was done in December and by April I was on the golf course. The only reason it took so long was the weather.
  I still can tell that the hip is artificial but not as much pain as before.
  Had it done at 50 and it's been 7 years . Hate steps going up because the popping but my knee is going out as well where the pain resonants.
  Golf game hasn't changed much but picked up a few yards with the driver. Not playing the seniors yet.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

#27 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

• 13,650 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:04 PM

View Posteighteen, on 23 October 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

Hi all,

Lots of great words, thanks for taking the time to respond/debate/give your two cents.
I have yet to see the doc I have been referred to, but saw the Ortho doc who has referred me today.
Realizing I am not a doctor, I know enough to ask questions so I feel informed and comfortable with the whole thing, without trying to sound as if I should be deciding on how it all goes;-)

I did ask the Ortho guy who is referring me, and who will most likely be assisting, some stuff today.

The head doc doesn't do anterior approach, based on the discussion above regarding nerves and vessels... fair enough, I don't want some doc practicing a new approach on me. It would mist likely be an un-cemented THA, with ceramic on poly joint.  He only does hips and knee replacements and of these around 10 to 12 hips a week- so has supposedly done over a thousand. I will be asking him how many revisions have been needed, as well as the question about my specific parameters (age, weight, reason for replacement etc) and how many of his previous surgeries would fit in that category.

I would love to say I am the perfect candidate, but with the level of pain and 32 months of it being difficult to do anything exercise wise, I have gained like 30 pounds in the time. I can only really golf because of carts.

I am living overseas, so it is a bit different than being back in Canada or the US, but I do have full international medical, so if I don't feel comfortable with him when I met him, I can basically go anywhere that will take the insurance, which we have been assured is top notch by our employer. I have yet to use it in the US, but have had colleagues get a couple of different major treatments at some top US hospitals. There is a small chance I can get it done the first week of November, if not then, I will probably need to wait until after Xmas, as the family and I will be traveling to Canada for the break.

In the end, I hear and get that I need to do PT properly and religiously, listen to the doc orders, not rush into stuff after as this is to set my hip up for the rest of my life, and be comfortable with the experience and skill of the surgeon.

On another note, someone mentioned no more hockey after THA, is that true? Even no-hit is off the table?
Whomever mentioned no hockey was basing that off of opinion, and if it was a pod's opinion, saying that without seeing the prospective patient, I'd find another surgeon immediately, because that is bulls***. Again, depending on your age, physical condition along with your specific THA procedure and the doc doin it, there is absolutely no reason why you will not be able to resume playing hockey. Look at 6-9 months before you're ready to go full-bore, though again, this is an individual thing. You will most likely be able to resume lower stress "public" skating(WTF, that's what this former NHLer called it and I don't play the game so I'm goin with his word, lol) about a month before that, say, 5-8 months.

Hip Resurfacing is another animal as we've discussed, and there is in fact an NHLer who resumed his career following the resurfacing surgery. Florida Panter D Ed Jovanoski, who's surgeon was Dr. Edwin Su, out of HSS(Hospital for Special Surgery), NYC, did the procedure and he was the first Professional athlete to resume his career if you do not count The Undertaker, of WWE Fame, who had the same doc and procedure done and returned to the squared circle.

I have been fortunate to have been able to scrub in with Dr. Su, and while I myself would not have the procedure done, just because we do not have 15-20 year follow-up to see what my hip would look like when that prosthesis eventually fails, unless of course I die first, however Dr. Su is up there with Dr. Gross. Neither one is God obviously, however they are as close as you'll find orthopedically surgeon wise.

Oh, one other thing Bro. I wouldn't ask the revision question for a few reasons. One, in and of itself, that means nothing because a man/woman that has been cutting for 20-40 years is going to have thousands to tens of thousands of joints/patients out there and eventually, again, unless they die early, they are going to need a re-do.

If you can get 12-15 years out of it, and any more is pure God sent Karma, you've had a phenomenal outcome.

The other thing is raw revision numbers don't tell me anything.

Why did the primary fail?

Was it the implant?

Patient?

Doc?

Unfortunate tumble down the stairs or an unlucky stumble, slide and fall on an icy sloped driveway?

Does he/she do a lot of fat obese peeps that most docs won't touch but they need someone to take a chance, if only to give them 5, 6 or 8+ years of a somewhat normal pain free life?

Does he do heavy smokers or drinkers, again, a patient demographic that quiet a few of the Big Dogs won't touch?

Ya see what I'm saying?

I've never asked that one nor do I care.

If the guy is doing 400+ a year, he's a Hitter and most likely a Player, lol

I have these warped classification but its funny cuz will picked it up and will describe another doc by one of my classifications and even Dr. Su refers to himself as a "Icon" and he had to ask me what it meant the first time I introduced him to a younger pod who he was not familiar with though the guy was from the Midwest and was  doin 400-450 hips(and about 300-325 knees) and when he walked away after our conversation, I said "He's a Player but he'll be a Player by 50yo(he was mid-40's) and an Icon by early 50's," LMAO. I then explained my Joint Classification System(JCS) TO Dr. Su.

He looked at me, smiled and chirped, "I'm an Icon" proudly, lol. My system goes chop(dangerous), grinder(average), Hitter(good), Player(Excellent), Icon(Magician).

Sorry to deviate, lmao, though I tend to do that.

Anyhoo, you should be good to go provided you are pre-operatively in decent shape, you have a typical primary THA, and a non-eventful THA with you busting your a**!

Oh, about revisions and the numbers.

I know a number of exceptional surgeons, quite a few Iconic in stature, who happened to use a few of the Stryker components recalled. Through absolutely no fault if their own(I don't really believe this because the surgeons who chose not to go with these systems asked the same questions that I did however money has a way of shading a man's judgement, I don't give a s*** what oath he swore to, lol.

But a few of these guys I'd let do me tomorrow with the right system(instrumentation & components).

The joint components themselves are like blades in golf...

A Blake's a blade-

A titanium or chrome cobalt stem is a titanium or chrome cobalt stem.

Don't make a damn bit of difference in em.

Now instrumentation is a different story, however the Hitters, Players and Icons could use a hammer, small saw & drill  and industrial rasps and get it done in fine fashion.

However for the mass majority of pods, the chops and the grinders, instrumentation is critical and for the Hitters, Players & Icons, it just makes their masterpieces that much more precise, no difference than Tiger(healthy) hittin a Nike blade or a Mizzy, Cally, TBaG or Titleist. Hed own em all.

Is just ask him, "what is your ratio of press-fit primaries(cementless, the femoral component is "press-fit" into the medulary canal vs. using bone cement to fixate the component) versus cemented?"

Usually younger, healthier patients with good bone stock are prime candidates for a press-fit stem while older patients or anyone with lesser or compromised bone stock(ex:osteoporotic bone) are best served with a cemented stem.

Based on what to be posted, it say that you Boy's a Hitter so just concentrate on lining up you PT and while most do not do this, I would find out who he uses for PT as the Big Dogs are very careful who they refer their patients to for post-op PT for obvious reasons. I, myself woukd ask for two names, just as I woukd for a golf Pro.

This initial meeting is for a myriad of reasons, first, to see if ya click, and if for any reason you don't, nicely conclude it and go to your second name. If ya click, just like with your golf Pro, tell him about yourself, your pre-surgery lifestyle and your post-OP goals once your rehab is over. Ask him for some pre-op stretching routines if you are not presently doing any and I am obviously taking your bad hip into consideration, as will he/she(My PT after my last three major knee surgeries and last two shoulders was a female, and my father had the same for bi-lateral knee replacements).

This pre-op will just get everyone on the same page and get you off to a quicker start post-operatively.

If you're lucky, ya get a Pro like Jim, though there aren't that many like him in the country, so ya might talk to him about some virtual lessons if he does them.
Again, The Best to ya & God Speed :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend⛳
Richard

Attached Thumbnails

• 2016-10-23-17-09-43-640x365.jpg

Edited by Forged4ever, 23 October 2016 - 07:03 PM.

#28 tyorke1

tyorke1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33236
GolfWRX Likes : 387

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:58 PM

I was told hip replacement 5 yrs or less. I had the option of cortisone or the synvic treatment. I choose the cortisone should I have paid for the other because it's not covered. Also he told me to do workouts that don't put stress on it like running. anything I can do to prolong the replacement . the cortisone has been really good 1 month in

#29 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

• 13,650 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:45 PM

View Posttyorke1, on 23 October 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

I was told hip replacement 5 yrs or less. I had the option of cortisone or the synvic treatment. I choose the cortisone should I have paid for the other because it's not covered. Also he told me to do workouts that don't put stress on it like running. anything I can do to prolong the replacement . the cortisone has been really good 1 month in
I don't know who told ya that and I doubt very seriously that it was a surgeon cuz a dog s*** surgeon with one of the recalled Stryker prosthesises can get 5 years, LMAO.

Depending on the patient, as I said early, 12-15 years is the expected outcome with good surgeon, good patient, good surgical outcome and good rehab.

Seriously Bro, you can look it up as a lot of the clinicals from Hopkins, HSS, Hospital for Joint Disease(HJD), also in NYC, The Boston Bois, the Carolinas along with Birmingham and LA all have their stuff available and see for yourself.

If an orthopod EVER said "5 years" to another surgeon(orthopod), #1, he wouldn't believe him cuz anyone that f***** up wouldn't last long in the OR suites and #2, if he was indeed telling the truth, the pod would ask him, "WhatITF is wrong with you" and get him run out of the OR because that surgeon should not be allowed to step foot into an OR.

5 Years on a vanilla primary hip, which 70-75% are?

And even the other 25%, which is where your Hitters, Players and Icons shine, is 10+ years and at worse they cement a longer revision stem in ya and get 10-15 years.

Even an obese chain smoking alcoholic could get 5+ years out of a hip, lmao.

That's great that the cortisone is giving you relief. Between my knees(11 surgeries, 6 lt 5 rt)and left shoulder(2 recon sx), I've had well over 100 shots of it and while it prolonged my football career, Im paying the price as my joints are literally a shell, lol.

I've just got bigger more pressing problems at the moment.

Just be careful with the shots in the hip because the surrounding soft tissue is critical to any future surgical intervention that you may have though it would take quite a bit of cortisone to compromise the integrity of the surrounding soft tissue and it sounds like this is your first shot.

While there are a few physical conditions that would lead to a shorter prosthesis life I take it that since you're on the site and golf, even if you're overweight, unless you have one of 2-3 conditions, which it is not my intent to get into your medical history, however, as I said, if this guy is telling you that he gets 5 years out of a hip, well, he should not be in an OR, and there is not a pod that would disagree with me.

If you happen to have one of those conditions, and I can eliminate two of em cuz you could not take the cortisone shot(s), well, my heart and Prayers go out to you.

I just looked at your avatar. Is that you in the middle? You look like an athlete. I see that you're from Canada and simply put, between the financial constraints that your health care system puts on the hospitals and surgeons and your very best were trained down here, so your results will not match those of the clinical that I told you to look at.

But still, a pod should get 10+ years out of a hip in a guy like you barring those few conditions that I spoke of.

Regardless, Fairways & Greens My Friend⛳
Richard

Edited by Forged4ever, 23 October 2016 - 09:04 PM.

#30 short game

short game

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

choosing surgeons is an opaque process. as a surgeon myself i had some trouble deciding. so i can imagine how difficult it is. numbers are important - however a lead surgeon at a large institution can "cherry pick" his cases, this can lead to outcomes that may look better than they really are because high risk cases have gone elsewhere.

i knew the regional rep for a large prosthetic company. he gave me like 5 names. 2 of the names he gave me didn't even use his prosthesis - so you knew they were good.

its really amazing to me that we don't have better metrics to choose surgeons. all of this data should be available to patients and insurance companies.

Ping i200 6 - UW
Betti BB 54 / Ping Tyne

Titelst Pro V1X

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors