Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Thinking about a GPS watch


44 replies to this topic

#31 Big Ben

Big Ben

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
  • Joined: 04/21/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, Ohio
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 935

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:39 PM

Anybody try the Voice Caddy vc300se? Love the simplicity don't even need to look at the thing. BB

Irons: 3/10 Edel carbon RAW, Fourteen FH-1000
Drivers: Ping G400
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's  
Putter: Toulon Indianapolis
Balls: 2017 B330s

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 Stumpnav

Stumpnav

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428448
  • Joined: 06/08/2016
  • Location:Abilene, TX
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:29 PM

I had the original Garmin S1 and loved it...until the band broke. The design does not allow for replacement of the band. All I really want is distance to F/M/B and maybe a hazard. I can calculate everything else with the yardage book. I also like to use a LRF.
I just ordered the Bushnell NEO ION because it was relatively cheap, provides the basic info I want and has great reviews.
I would like to try the Garmin S60 but that thing is dang expensive.
Epic 9.0 T800
Callaway 816 3W
Mizuno MP-53 3-6
Callaway MB 7-A
Callaway MD3 Forged 56, 60
Odyssey RSX001
Chrome Soft X 18

2

#33 jpcortese

jpcortese

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69656
  • Joined: 11/22/2008
  • Location:Illinois
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

View PostStumpnav, on 06 January 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

I had the original Garmin S1 and loved it...until the band broke. The design does not allow for replacement of the band. All I really want is distance to F/M/B and maybe a hazard. I can calculate everything else with the yardage book. I also like to use a LRF.
I just ordered the Bushnell NEO ION because it was relatively cheap, provides the basic info I want and has great reviews.
I would like to try the Garmin S60 but that thing is dang expensive.


I'm having trouble selecting a GPS watch to replace my s1.  The s1 has been great and I'm looking for a Garmin (partial to Garmin) with FCB and hazards.  Don't need or want all the other activity and other stuff.  I play with a group of guys who have Bushnell and they are not too crazy about them.  Problem is that I can't find a Garmin golf watch without all those other features.

3

#34 Dpavs

Dpavs

    OverWRX'ed

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133444
  • Joined: 07/18/2011
  • Location:Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 1910

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

View Postjpcortese, on 08 January 2018 - 12:22 PM, said:

View PostStumpnav, on 06 January 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

I had the original Garmin S1 and loved it...until the band broke. The design does not allow for replacement of the band. All I really want is distance to F/M/B and maybe a hazard. I can calculate everything else with the yardage book. I also like to use a LRF.
I just ordered the Bushnell NEO ION because it was relatively cheap, provides the basic info I want and has great reviews.
I would like to try the Garmin S60 but that thing is dang expensive.


I'm having trouble selecting a GPS watch to replace my s1.  The s1 has been great and I'm looking for a Garmin (partial to Garmin) with FCB and hazards.  Don't need or want all the other activity and other stuff.  I play with a group of guys who have Bushnell and they are not too crazy about them.  Problem is that I can't find a Garmin golf watch without all those other features.

Maybe you already saw my previous post but if you do not mind using a bag or belt clip the G10 maybe just what you are looking for.

Edited by Dpavs, 08 January 2018 - 03:52 PM.


4

#35 jpcortese

jpcortese

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69656
  • Joined: 11/22/2008
  • Location:Illinois
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

View PostDpavs, on 08 January 2018 - 03:48 PM, said:

View Postjpcortese, on 08 January 2018 - 12:22 PM, said:

View PostStumpnav, on 06 January 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

I had the original Garmin S1 and loved it...until the band broke. The design does not allow for replacement of the band. All I really want is distance to F/M/B and maybe a hazard. I can calculate everything else with the yardage book. I also like to use a LRF.
I just ordered the Bushnell NEO ION because it was relatively cheap, provides the basic info I want and has great reviews.
I would like to try the Garmin S60 but that thing is dang expensive.


I'm having trouble selecting a GPS watch to replace my s1.  The s1 has been great and I'm looking for a Garmin (partial to Garmin) with FCB and hazards.  Don't need or want all the other activity and other stuff.  I play with a group of guys who have Bushnell and they are not too crazy about them.  Problem is that I can't find a Garmin golf watch without all those other features.

Maybe you already saw my previous post but if you do not mind using a bag or belt clip the G10 maybe just what you are looking for.

Thanks.  I'll look into it.


5

#36 rfarrell51

rfarrell51

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29533
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Ebay ID:rfarrell51
GolfWRX Likes : 1322

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:24 AM

View Postjpcortese, on 08 January 2018 - 12:22 PM, said:

View PostStumpnav, on 06 January 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

I had the original Garmin S1 and loved it...until the band broke. The design does not allow for replacement of the band. All I really want is distance to F/M/B and maybe a hazard. I can calculate everything else with the yardage book. I also like to use a LRF.
I just ordered the Bushnell NEO ION because it was relatively cheap, provides the basic info I want and has great reviews.
I would like to try the Garmin S60 but that thing is dang expensive.


I'm having trouble selecting a GPS watch to replace my s1.  The s1 has been great and I'm looking for a Garmin (partial to Garmin) with FCB and hazards.  Don't need or want all the other activity and other stuff.  I play with a group of guys who have Bushnell and they are not too crazy about them.  Problem is that I can't find a Garmin golf watch without all those other features.

Due out 3-5 weeks:

Posted Image
Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM Aeroburner 16.5 Whiteboard
TM Aeroburner 19 Whiteboard
TM R15 21 Whiteboard
Nike Pro Combo DG Pro S300
Mizuno MP5 51 MPT 11 56
Bettinardi BB40
Nike Tour Platinum

6

#37 skmcclure

skmcclure

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 264860
  • Joined: 07/18/2013
  • Location:Mableton, GA, USA
  • Handicap:14.0
  • Ebay ID:s_k_mcclure
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

I used a Golf Buddy WT5 for two(?) years or so before the buttons quit working.  It was pretty good, especially for the price, but it updated slow and I noticed more than once that the yardage was a off.  Especially when compared to my buddies Garmin S2's.  I just received a Garmin X40 for Christmas.  I'm assuming it is just like the X10 above but the X40 has a HR monitor, etc.  I like it a lot, except, the auto shot tracking is just not quite right.  I records strokes that I didn't take. It sometimes records a practice stroke, especially if I hit the turf, as a stroke and when I go to edit on the website, some of the strokes are on different holes altogether.  I was hoping that it would just be a few strokes and I could easily edit on the website but that hasn't been my experience so far.  Garmin support was prompt in replying to my queries but no solutions.  The yardages are good, battery life good, just the autostroke feature is still flakey.

7

#38 78Staff

78Staff

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3676
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
  • Location:Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 452

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:06 AM

I just picked up a Bushnell Ion - It's a model that's been out for a couple years, in fact they look to be replacing it - so is on sale at most places for $149, however Amazon has the white model for $89 so I snagged one up.

Currently have a Garmin G20 (as well as a Skycaddie Touch for that matter), and it's not terrible or anything, but the band is really short for me.  Plus getting to say the Hazards screen is king of a hassle - press a button..scroll down with another button, press other button again...ugh.  Also I never use the club tracking stuff, which has to be enabled to get club shot distances.

The Bushnell appears simpler, has larger numbers it appears, and less fluff, less button pressing, etc and according to docs does shot distance with easy press of a button like most GPSs.  Little bit larger size, more like what I am used to vs the smaller square G20.  Anyway should be here today so I'll test it out this weekend.

https://smile.amazon...ds=bushnell ion

61GrZttS6DL._SL1500_.jpg
Titleist 917D3 9.5* Diamana S+ 60
Titleist 917F3 15* Diamana S+ 70
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Rogue 85
Titleist 712 MB S300 3-PW
Titleist TVD 56/60
Scotty Cameron Select Newport

8

#39 Sanzabar

Sanzabar

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125516
  • Joined: 03/29/2011
  • Location:Richmond VA
  • Handicap:5.4
GolfWRX Likes : 215

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

View Post78Staff, on 02 February 2018 - 02:06 AM, said:

I just picked up a Bushnell Ion - It's a model that's been out for a couple years, in fact they look to be replacing it - so is on sale at most places for $149, however Amazon has the white model for $89 so I snagged one up.

Currently have a Garmin G20 (as well as a Skycaddie Touch for that matter), and it's not terrible or anything, but the band is really short for me.  Plus getting to say the Hazards screen is king of a hassle - press a button..scroll down with another button, press other button again...ugh.  Also I never use the club tracking stuff, which has to be enabled to get club shot distances.

The Bushnell appears simpler, has larger numbers it appears, and less fluff, less button pressing, etc and according to docs does shot distance with easy press of a button like most GPSs.  Little bit larger size, more like what I am used to vs the smaller square G20.  Anyway should be here today so I'll test it out this weekend.

https://smile.amazon...ds=bushnell ion

Attachment 61GrZttS6DL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks for posting this... I have been looking for a GPS Watch, so this might fit the bill. Can you post in hand pictures whenever you get it? Is the blue more of a royal blue or what?
Ping G400 SFT w/Evolution II 569
Callaway V-Series 3 wood

Callaway V-Series Heavenwood
Srixon Z H45 22*
TaylorMade P790 w/Nippon Modus 105
Callaway PM Grind 56/60*
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

#Colts #ForTheShoe

9

#40 rfarrell51

rfarrell51

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29533
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Ebay ID:rfarrell51
GolfWRX Likes : 1322

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

View Postrfarrell51, on 27 January 2018 - 02:24 AM, said:

View Postjpcortese, on 08 January 2018 - 12:22 PM, said:

View PostStumpnav, on 06 January 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

I had the original Garmin S1 and loved it...until the band broke. The design does not allow for replacement of the band. All I really want is distance to F/M/B and maybe a hazard. I can calculate everything else with the yardage book. I also like to use a LRF.
I just ordered the Bushnell NEO ION because it was relatively cheap, provides the basic info I want and has great reviews.
I would like to try the Garmin S60 but that thing is dang expensive.


I'm having trouble selecting a GPS watch to replace my s1.  The s1 has been great and I'm looking for a Garmin (partial to Garmin) with FCB and hazards.  Don't need or want all the other activity and other stuff.  I play with a group of guys who have Bushnell and they are not too crazy about them.  Problem is that I can't find a Garmin golf watch without all those other features.

Due out 3-5 weeks:

Posted Image

Available now.

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM Aeroburner 16.5 Whiteboard
TM Aeroburner 19 Whiteboard
TM R15 21 Whiteboard
Nike Pro Combo DG Pro S300
Mizuno MP5 51 MPT 11 56
Bettinardi BB40
Nike Tour Platinum

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 78Staff

78Staff

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3676
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
  • Location:Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 452

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:33 PM

View PostSanzabar, on 02 February 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

View Post78Staff, on 02 February 2018 - 02:06 AM, said:

I just picked up a Bushnell Ion - It's a model that's been out for a couple years, in fact they look to be replacing it - so is on sale at most places for $149, however Amazon has the white model for $89 so I snagged one up.

Currently have a Garmin G20 (as well as a Skycaddie Touch for that matter), and it's not terrible or anything, but the band is really short for me.  Plus getting to say the Hazards screen is king of a hassle - press a button..scroll down with another button, press other button again...ugh.  Also I never use the club tracking stuff, which has to be enabled to get club shot distances.

The Bushnell appears simpler, has larger numbers it appears, and less fluff, less button pressing, etc and according to docs does shot distance with easy press of a button like most GPSs.  Little bit larger size, more like what I am used to vs the smaller square G20.  Anyway should be here today so I'll test it out this weekend.

https://smile.amazon...ds=bushnell ion

Attachment 61GrZttS6DL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks for posting this... I have been looking for a GPS Watch, so this might fit the bill. Can you post in hand pictures whenever you get it? Is the blue more of a royal blue or what?

More Powder Blue...

20180202_183214.jpg

20180202_183219.jpg
Titleist 917D3 9.5* Diamana S+ 60
Titleist 917F3 15* Diamana S+ 70
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Rogue 85
Titleist 712 MB S300 3-PW
Titleist TVD 56/60
Scotty Cameron Select Newport

11

#42 B.D.OC

B.D.OC

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494178
  • Joined: 02/20/2018
  • Location:Boston, MA
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:48 PM

I've got a Garmin Approach S6 that has worked well for a few seasons. Battery life is decent and will be good for about a round and a half on a full charge. Seems to be pretty accurate and has every course loaded imaginable.

However, looking to unload it and use the funds towards a rangefinder. Putting new irons in my bag in the next week and want to be able to use the rangefinder at the practice facility to dial in yardages.

TaylorMade Burner 10.5º | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 757 X

Cobra LTD 14º | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 757 X
Titleist AP2 718 3-PW | KBS C-Taper LITE S
Callaway Mack Daddy 3 52º, 58º| Project X 6.0
Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 #9


12

#43 rfarrell51

rfarrell51

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29533
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Ebay ID:rfarrell51
GolfWRX Likes : 1322

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:27 PM

Hope your range has premium practice balls, otherwise you’ll get incorrect distances.
And welcome to WRx.
Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM Aeroburner 16.5 Whiteboard
TM Aeroburner 19 Whiteboard
TM R15 21 Whiteboard
Nike Pro Combo DG Pro S300
Mizuno MP5 51 MPT 11 56
Bettinardi BB40
Nike Tour Platinum

13

#44 B.D.OC

B.D.OC

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494178
  • Joined: 02/20/2018
  • Location:Boston, MA
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

Thx rfarrell, and luckily we do

TaylorMade Burner 10.5º | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 757 X

Cobra LTD 14º | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 757 X
Titleist AP2 718 3-PW | KBS C-Taper LITE S
Callaway Mack Daddy 3 52º, 58º| Project X 6.0
Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 #9


14

#45 Gh05t

Gh05t

    DONT DEAL WITH ME, CANT BE TRUSTED...GO DUCKS

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431378
  • Joined: 07/03/2016
  • Location:Tucson
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:Chrisapodac-0
GolfWRX Likes : 253

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:54 PM

i have the garmin S20, like it a lot, light weight and easy to use.

Gamers: Backups:
Taylormade 17M2 10.5 UST Proforce V2 7F5   Callaway 816 DBD Diamana D+ 70X
Taylomade 17M2 3w Hzrdus Red 6.0    Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue 70s I/O
Ping Crossover 4 21* blue dot Tour Ad 95X   Nike Covert Forged 4-AW DG S300
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 5-PW DG X100    Cobra Trusty Tour 52/60 King 56 DG S200
Cleveland RTX588 2.0 50/58 RTX3 54 DG wedgeflex   Nike Method Concept C1/Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Maranello
Odyssey Oworks 7s Red    Maxfli 4.0 Stand Bag(green/white.....Go Ducks!)
Nike Air Sport III stand bag

15



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors