Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Do golf shafts wear out?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cydkar

Cydkar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32008
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:14 PM

I've got an old Speeder in a 510 TP I may use in another driver.  Do shafts wear out?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 wkuo3

wkuo3

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:19 PM

check the tip area for crack and split line after you pull it out, normally it won't wear out.

#3 buxeyes

buxeyes

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42631
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:19 PM

I've wondered the same thing. What are the tell tales that the shaft is worn out???

#4 Cydkar

Cydkar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:33 PM

From reading this board, all clubs wear out after a few months and new ones are needed. :)

#5 Grum

Grum

★ Driven to Perfection ★

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17890

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:10 PM

In my experience, no. However I have found that abusing them(throwing, slamming into ground, snapping over knee, etc) can have a negative effect on performance.

#6 Cydkar

Cydkar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:46 PM

In that case, I've had a couple of putters "wear out".

#7 bignose

bignose

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24403

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:03 PM

Grum's nailed it.  Unless the shaft has been abused or damaged in any way (cracked, split, bent, kinked, rusted, etc.), the shaft's lifetime is longer than our own.  While there are stresses placed on the shafts, the stresses aren't critical stresses, and the shaft returns to its original shape good as new.

Now, the lifetime of a player's satisfaction with a shaft... that's measured in minutes, I think...

#8 dannykos

dannykos

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17306

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:10 PM

i was told by someone that was getting custom fit by nike - that they told him hitting 100-200 drives a day would start to have an effect on the shaft after some months?

anyone with knowledge want to set us all straight?

#9 Scuderia

Scuderia

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47289
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:34 PM

View Postdannykos, on Feb 3 2008, 03:10 PM, said:

i was told by someone that was getting custom fit by nike - that they told him hitting 100-200 drives a day would start to have an effect on the shaft after some months?

That is true....every shaft steel or graphite will eventually lose its elasticity.

#10 mhinderaker

mhinderaker

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38614

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

I can't even IMAGINE hitting 100-200 drives a day.

That is a rather absurd amount!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 bignose

bignose

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24403

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:23 PM

View PostScuderia, on Feb 3 2008, 05:34 PM, said:

View Postdannykos, on Feb 3 2008, 03:10 PM, said:

That is true....every shaft steel or graphite will eventually lose its elasticity.

Well, this isn't right.  If anything steel will work harden, not loosen.  And the modern graphite won't loosen up appreciably for many, many years.  Like I said, it's lifetime is longer than our own.  

Here's an article published in Golf Digest some years back talking about this:

http://findarticles...._51/ai_60121187

Like I said above, a golf shaft in normal usage isn't stressed or bent enough to cause any kind of damage.  

Now, here's the more interesting part of 200 drives a day for many months... let's call it 200 drives a day * 9 months * 30 days per month = 54 000 hits.  The titanium faces of clubs do have a lifetime of around 10,000 impacts  (see Frank Thomas' article  http://www.thegolfch...mp;select=20739  )  So, if you actually got up to 54,000 hits with one club, it won't be the shaft that affecting the feel, it's the driver head itself!

The faces/heads wear out, the grips wear out, but again, so long as the shaft isn't abused in any way, the shaft DOES NOT wear out.

Edited by bignose, 03 February 2008 - 10:24 PM.

#12 boatrightgolf7

boatrightgolf7

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150389

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

''Like I said golf shafts will last longer than you'' This is a terrible statement graphite shafts last about 3 years with regular play they wont have any noticeable wear but will lose their pop. Steel last about 5 years until they start to lose their pop of course the material will last several lifetimes but in golf terms they starts to wear out most pros re shaft maybe even twice a year.

#13 TomWishon

TomWishon

Major Winner

• Sponsors
  • 2,588 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45409
GolfWRX Likes : 1403

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

View Postdannykos, on 03 February 2008 - 03:10 PM, said:

I have the knowledge from many years of club and shaft design experience and I can tell you this statement is not true.  Unless the shaft is bent, cracked, delaminated or otherwise permanently damaged, the normal stresses a shaft undergoes in the swing, even from a 120mph player, will not cause it to wear out no matter how many times they hit the club.  They will not lose their elasticity because the force a golfer puts on a shaft during a swing is nowhere close to the threshold for permanent damage on the shaft.  

TOM

#14 kwelifan

kwelifan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119921
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

View Postboatrightgolf7, on 29 March 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

''Like I said golf shafts will last longer than you'' This is a terrible statement graphite shafts last about 3 years with regular play they wont have any noticeable wear but will lose their pop. Steel last about 5 years until they start to lose their pop of course the material will last several lifetimes but in golf terms they starts to wear out most pros re shaft maybe even twice a year.

Got any evidence to support that?  The post above has quotes has from 2 well known industry experts who completely disagree with you.  Just curious to know if maybe you had a different source of information that could shed some light on this.

#15 pokerplayer

pokerplayer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63558

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

As an engineer, I would say that golf shafts do wear out, but usually won't happen in your lifeitme and I wouldn't worry about it.

more techncial answer,

metal shafts (ie steel shafts) are going to lose their temper, but this process will take a couple hundred years. so your heirloom clubs w/ x100's will play like noodles in a thousand years. also the repeated loading and unloading will cause metal fatigue, but thats probably over 100k cycles, given that, high cappers that score over 100k will likely need to replace their clubs once every year or so. and it would be a badge of honor if you practiced so much that it caused metal fatigue in a shaft.

the carbon fiber in graphite shafts are not going to fail during normal human use. the most likely cause of failure is exposure to UV causing the epoxy/ resin matrix (ie the glue that holds all the cabon fibers together) to break down. for most epoxies, about 1000hrs (@4hrs a round, thats 250 rounds) will weaken the material by 30%, so thats why shaft manufacturers paint the golf shafts and will last a lot longer since the paint will absorb most of the UV. so dont leave shafts out in the sun and touch up areas of exposed epoxy .

Edited by pokerplayer, 29 March 2012 - 12:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors