Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Drummers, let's talk all things drums!

72 replies to this topic

#1 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 352867
GolfWRX Likes : 10427

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:06 PM

I figured if there were any other drummers out there in the WRX universe we could have a place to share our love for the drums and Percussive arts in general.

I'd like to open this up by saying that the 2 loves of my life (not married, no kids) are Music, and golf. To me the connection between golf and drumming are strong. Obviously hand, eye, mind coordination help with the golf swing. Tempo and rhythm, making the swing groove. Hell even the word swing LOL. I know as a drummer we have extreme attention to detail, and any gigging drummer has a strict routine. Everything is done in the same way each time, it's almost spiritual. So naturally the importance of a sound routine carries over to golf. Then there's gear.......there are endless combinations with drum set ups, just like there are endless combos of clubs, lofts, shafts, grips, golf balls etc. Mental strength, and understanding mistakes happen and "the show goes on", this one was a tough one for me to learn. No one is more critical of me than I am. Golf taught me I'm not perfect (shocker) so why try to be perfect at the gig.

Anyway, I'm a terrible writer and I'll start rambling, I encourage any drummers, percussionists, and other musicians to share any and everything.

Perhaps we can start with Drum set ups? Pics if you got em', also if you'd like to share any performances that's cool too!

-TJ-

(a couple pics of my kit, I'll take better ones soon)

full.jpg

20151118_095756.jpg

OGA Member #3232

Epic SubZero 9* Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi XT 70tx
Cally Xr Pro 14*   GD  Tour Ad MT 8tx
Titleist 714 MB 3-Pw  Nippon Modus 130x
Nike Vr Forged 52,56,60 TT Dg S400
Ping Anser 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:20 PM

My current set up:

Yamaha Absolute Custom Birch Nouveau (2006) 8x7, 10x7.5, 12x8, 14x14, 20x18. 14x5.5 Roy Haynes Signature snare (hand hammered copper)

Cymbals: 14" Sabian AAX Stage Hats (top is raw finish, bottom is brilliant) 18" Sabian HH Med-Thin Crash, 16" Sabian Paragon Crash, 20" Paiste Signature Dark Energy Mark I ride ( I'm a ride cymbal HO, I've had a few, this one stopped the Ho'ing)

Heads: Currently I have Evans EC2 clear on the toms, I don't like them though as they choke the drum too much. These drums sound best with either Remo Coated Ambassadors or Clear Emperors. The snare has a Remo coated Controlled sound which I also don't like LOL, coated Ambassador all the way on the snare. Resonant heads on all the toms are Evans Genera Resonant. Bass drum is Evans EQ3 with a remo muffle beater side, and Aquarian Regulator resonant.  Not much on all the drum heads to be honest, I loaned my kit to a friend and he changed all the drum heads to these :dntknw:  Once I'm able I'll change them all, I'm not a huge fan of muffling on any of my drums. I like the drum to be able to sing. Just like finding the right shafts to match your swing, I believe the characteristics of the drum will tell you what heads should be used, mine prefer single ply or a clear 2 ply with no muffling as the "eq'd" nature of the birch will govern itself with a proper tuning job.

Sticks, Vic Firth 5a American standard, sometimes Vic Firth 5b's as well. And I have Vic Firth Steve Gadd signature brushes (LOVE these, I highly recommend them)

Edited by Palauan Hammer, 16 October 2016 - 05:23 PM.

OGA Member #3232

Ping Anser 2

#3 diddle

diddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 384166
  • Ebay ID:hayleems
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:09 PM

Hi Palauan
I'm a drummer too!  Been playing my whole life. My dad was a studio engineer and keyboard player. I would go with him to the studio as a youngster and goof around on the drums in the drum booth when he was mixing for hours and hours... And I would watch and listen to all the different drummers that would record so picked up on it naturally... Then I started playing in church with my dad when I was about 8 years old. I began playing professionally in clubs and recording when I was in high school... Later on I toured with some regional and national acts... Toured and recorded with Rick Derringer from Edger Winter and some members from Molly Hatchett and Lynard Skynard... Eventually settled here in Florida and continued playing and recording with local and regional acts... I recently toured with a country band from Nashville. We had some success. Toured the US and did some international shows.. We had a good booking agency from Nashville and did a lot of shows with some of the bigger acts, Trace Adkins, Craig Morgan, Luke Bryan, Neil McCoy etc... Which was cool... Currently I'm off the road and playing in a band in north Florida and enjoy being home and playing more golf...

I'm not to picky about equipment other then the fact that it must sound good and hold up on the road and in the studio. When I'm on tour I end up using a lot of back line kits which can be anything from Yamaha to Ludwig to something horrible but when I use my own stuff I play Gretsch drums, Sabian cymbals and use DW hardware... I use different heads for different situations (typically coated emporers or pinstripes for live) or (coated ambassadors for studio) when I play small clubs or studio stuff I use Vic Firth SD Bolero sticks. When I big festivals or large venues I use Vic Firth SD 1 (the big marching sticks )

I enjoy all types of music! I prefer old school soul, r&b and jazz but I like anything that is good! I'll play almost anything and give it 100% unless it's absolutely profane or they want me to wear something stupid like spandex...

Rhythm and timing are things I love about drumming that also directly relate to golf... I naturally incorporate this from drumming to golf and visa- versa ... Also the fact that, to be good at drumming we must adjust, overcome and perform in all kinds of adversity, situations and elements, just like in golf ...

My problem lately is I'm spending all my time practicing golf and neglecting practicing drumming... Im gigging in the band a few times a week, which is enough to keep up my chops up but I need to get more practice in...

Here is a video recently done with the country band for a tv show on Animal Planet.

Another video of the band I play with here in Florida doing some Hendrix.

#4 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:18 AM

diddle! Nice stuff there, I thought for sure this thread would drift off into oblivion LOL. Thanks for sharing.

Impressive resume you have, I watch "Pitbulls and Parolees" every now and then too, cool you did a song for them. Also, great job on the Hendrix too! For me being out here on a tiny island means touring is usually out of the question, however for such a small place we have a rich talent pool thankfully. I have played with a traveling artist, her name is Elin, she is based out of New York. Her style is Brazilian Jazz, she was fun to work with. I was scared out of my mind considering everyone had charts and can read, I play all by ear so I have to sit and listen to the tunes in advance and make my own short hand charts. Yeah, I'm all screwed up lol. I have a couple recordings I'll post, unfortunately when I was gigging a ton I never really saved any recordings for some reason. I have been out of the scene for almost 3 years, I got into some legal trouble, I screwed up, I've learned, it's a long story. Anyway, I was just a session gig guy here, played roughly 3-5 nights a week for almost 8 years. I didn't learn the drums til' I was 18, I'm self taught, I basically learned by reading Modern Drummer magazine, drumming on pillows/ thighs, and listening to music all the time. I was gigging at the time but as a singer, I hated being in front so I taught myself the drums. Eventually I incorporated singing and drumming as well, and my last gig before this break I was a front man but behind the drums. It was fun, being behind the kit is like a security blanket anyway haha.

Thanks again for sharing, and I'm sure the drum skills will never leave you, especially if your gigging a few times a week. Golf is just as addicting as drumming LOL, the cool thing was when I was gigging a ton it funded my golf nicely.

Here is a impromptu recording a friend decided to do, it was a random Thursday night gig back in 2012. Not a video one, but its a band I was in named "Baked Bananas" this was our version of George Benson's "Affirmation".

Here's a video clip of the Jazz group I was in back in 2013-14. Someone recorded this with their phone I think so sorry for the sound quality, it's all I can find. We're playing "Valerie" by the late Amy Winehouse.

OGA Member #3232

Ping Anser 2

#5 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
  • Handicap:wife
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

soooo. i was walking with my wife in budapest 2 years ago around christmas time and i was drinking, ok really drunk,  and i mentioned to her i always wanted to play drums(i played guitar ALOT in college and after). so a couple weeks later we got back to the states and my birthday is in early january and she tells me she is going to get me a drumset for my birthday. i asked her why in the world she would do such a thing and she proceeded to tell me that i mentioned it on our vacation. so i initially balked at the idea then i got on youtube and saw a bunch of drum cover videos and decided a drumset would be a cool thing to have. so i play occasionally, i have gotten some lessons but im horrible, at best but i do have fun.

#6 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:06 PM

View Postprsgtrman, on 26 October 2016 - 06:47 PM, said:

soooo. i was walking with my wife in budapest 2 years ago around christmas time and i was drinking, ok really drunk,  and i mentioned to her i always wanted to play drums(i played guitar ALOT in college and after). so a couple weeks later we got back to the states and my birthday is in early january and she tells me she is going to get me a drumset for my birthday. i asked her why in the world she would do such a thing and she proceeded to tell me that i mentioned it on our vacation. so i initially balked at the idea then i got on youtube and saw a bunch of drum cover videos and decided a drumset would be a cool thing to have. so i play occasionally, i have gotten some lessons but im horrible, at best but i do have fun.

That's awesome, drumming is fun because you get to hit things lol. It's a good outlet for stress too. Youtube is my best friend at the moment too, I just put on my headphones and play along to all kinds of stuff. Oh and ALL drummers suck at first so don't sweat it, I really sucked ( now a little less sucky) lol

Nice username BTW, I take it you have a PRS? Those are wonderful guitars, couple of guitarists I play with have tons of sweet guitars in their collections, but it always seems to be the PRS at most gigs for both of them. I can't remember what models they have, they're both different IIRC. Great tone, so versatile.

Edited by Palauan Hammer, 26 October 2016 - 09:10 PM.

OGA Member #3232

Ping Anser 2

#7 diddle

diddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:09 PM

Hey Palauan,
Very groovy. You have a nice time feel!

Back in the day I did a lot of lounge type gigs like that . Jazzy fake book stuff... Mostly standards and swing but I never really played a lot of straight ahead... but I do enjoy Miles, Dizzy, Coltrane, etc... And I really love Count Basie stuff...

When I was 18 I got a road gig with a really good blues/soul band in the Midwest (I was the only white guy in the band) 😳 ...
We traveled all over the Midwest playing all kinds of gigs...

Those guys really pushed me hard and I learned a lot about listening, paying attention on stage, being consistent and how to survive on the road... I got away from playing the jazzy standards and had to developed a really solid back beat and intensity in my playing. I learned to play every type of shuffle imaginable... We did a lot of out door festivals and concert halls! We were loud, full of energy.. We had a full horn section so I had to play with dynamic and touch but also create a groove you could drive a bus through... Drive the bus but don't run anybody over 😁

You are a good player, I enjoyed the clips, you should try to get a cruise ship gig... I've done a few of those. They pay pretty good and lots of fringe benefits (save money, free food, room and board, exotic places, pretty girls)... You sign a contract usually 3-6 months... You typically do 2-3 shows a day between the headliners and you sometimes back up the main acts... And on off days you work for the cruise line helping passengers (food service, cleaning service, customer service, etc...) and you don't necessarily have to be a good reader, it helps but if you have really good ears and are a quick study you could do well...

#8 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:56 PM

Thank you for the kind words Diddle. I'm not a big chops guy so my groove is basically all I got, of course as you know as a successful professional player, groove and dynamics for exceed "chops".

That jazz group was a lot of fun, and thankfully it wasn't just all standards, we played all kinds of stuff. Also the pianist in the second clip has wonderful albums so we played quite a bit of his music.

I think it's really cool you've got to experience traveling and playing as a job. I've had the opportunity to travel to a neighboring island to play a fancy gala dinner haha, that was about as close as I've been to touring. It was nice. But I can imagine the grind it must be, especially if your using a "house kit" LOL that can be a toss up right there. I remember you mentioning that in your earlier post. I always find it interesting figuring out a house kit during set up. Trying to get comfortable, figuring out how the kit likes to be played, and the actual physicality of playing it too (fusion sizes, standard sizes). Like you said again, overcoming adversity! I'll bet you some interesting stories from being on the road as well.

Shuffles, I need to learn more shuffles. Playing a nice, laid back shuffle is a thing of beauty, especially getting the snare just right. I remember going crazy trying to teach myself the "Steve Gadd" shuffle, I still can't really do it haha. For some reason with drums I never had the drive to practice ( I know, it's terrible) I just really enjoy making music and playing in a group setting. I basically learned on the fly, sink or swim. So when I attempt to work on my practice pad on doubles, 6 stroke rolls, etc. I lose focus and get bored. Now with golf, I'll practice all day, probably why I'm better at golf I guess.

I remember one of my bandmates talking about doing cruise ship gigs, it was actually the girl you hear at the very end of the first clip (without video). Looking back on it now I probably should have done it. I'll have to look into it, might be something fun to experience. I'll have to start playing more though, I'm a little rusty these days. And yeah, I don't read very well, I do, thankfully, have a well trained ear though.

Question, this is always a tough question because I'm sure there are so many, but Top 10 list of drummers, to you. Or, actually, how about which drummers or other musicians have had the most influence or your playing and approach to music?

Drummers for me no particular order:

1. Dave Weckl  ( the first instructional video I bought, had no idea who he was at the time, the tape "Back to Basics")
2. Steve Gadd
3. Vinnie Colaiuta
4. Steve Jordan
5. Phil Collins
6. Jeff Porcaro
7. Carter Beauford
8. Dennis Chambers
9. Gavin Harrison
10. Don Henley
11. Ricky Lawson
OGA Member #3232

Ping Anser 2

#9 diddle

diddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:54 PM

Well you are a better drummer then you think. You can play man and you groove... Chops don't mean nothing if you can't listen and make the band sound good! The older I get the more simple I play, the better I listen and the more gigs I get... Chops are great but only if you use them appropriately ... I know guys who play circles around me with chops but nobody will hire them because they don't listen and walk all over everyone!

The music business is more about who you know and networking then anything else... Most of the drummers who tour and record with the big name acts are not the greatest drummers. Sure they can play but that is a given. It's more about getting along and being a person of integrity who is dependable and willing to listen, learn and do the things necessary to make the group work, on and off the stage... These things of character sometimes take tremendous effort and sacrifice and are not as easy as you would think... The drumming is the easy part! There are exceptions of course but in my experience I have found that most of the guys at the top are humble, gracious and kind but they are also incredibly driven, motivated and truly professional!

Back line drums usually are not too bad. The drums are typically pro level so even with worn heads they can sound fine with some tuning but it's the hardware that ends up being a problem... If you get hardware that is flimsy or doesn't adjust well then it can be a nightmare! I always bring my own pedal, snare, cymbals, etc... but a snare stand or Tom holder that won't go up or down or tilt or stay in position, or a stripped wing nut etc... Stuff like that can ruin a gig and make it very challenging! But you just figure out ways to work it out and be professional... Another big thing is monitoring... I absolutely must have a sub and a wedge (preferably 15" with horn) next to me, even if I'm using IEM's... I gotta feel the kick drum and the bass guitar... If you play at loud volumes in large open spaces it can be horrendous if you don't have a good monitor guy! In ear monitors can be helpful to keep stage volume under control but unless you have a good sound guy traveling with you and knows what you like in your ears it's hit or miss... If you are just playing bars and clubs around town then it's no biggy but at the touring level it's another story...World class sound guys are rare and very much in demand...  A great sound guy is more valuable then a great musician...

Influences? Probably all the same guys you mentioned. I'm a big Steve Gadd, Jeff Porcaro fan... Stole a lot of stuff from those two guys... Love everything Carlos Vega did... Alex Acuna and all the weather report stuff... Bill Maxwell's drumming with the early Winans is wonderful ... Mark Craney with Gino Vanelli and Tull... I also had the Weckl instruction tape 😊 back in the day!
Anything Stevie Wonder, James Brown, ..All the Motown drummers...
Muscle Shoals (the swampers)... Elvin Jones... Chris Layton... Jimmy Cobb... John Bonham 👍

But some of my biggest influences are from local guys that I would go check out in clubs when I was just starting out.. Guys you probably never heard of but lived in my area. I got to know these guys and learned a tremendous amount from them... Great drummers that played around town but also played with national acts..

Check em out!

Derek Hess with the Rossington Collins (Skynard) band...

Mike Maples with Mark Farner

Bruce Crump with Molly Hatchett

Anyway, as far as golf, I love golf as much as drumming, I suppose I'm better a drumming but I just wish people would pay me to play golf too 😬

#10 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:31 AM

Totally understand about the sound engineer!! I've done quite a few outdoor/bigger stage shows out here and your right. Your at the mercy of the mix, prime example of that was this DVD I hired to play in. There was supposed to be a "B" roll, and time to iron out the kinks. The stage and sound guys had a problem with the snake, then there were other logistical problems. The "B" roll was no longer an option, so we had to go out and play the show with audience and hopefully nail it. Well, the drummer who was supposed to play with the first featured artist quit once they announced all the technical difficulties so I was asked on the spot to do that segment too. Luckily I was already familiar with the music. Anyway, we get on stage and my monitor goes out 2 bars into the first song. For the rest of the evening (4 hours total on stage as it was a "storytellers" type deal") I was flying completely blind. I couldn't hear the bass, or guitars. I could barely hear the piano, and vocals. I had to rely on the sound slapping back off the wall in the ballroom. Worst feeling of musical life and it was all recorded and sold as a DVD LOL terrible....

Yeah, it seems that to be a successful touring drummer you'd have to be a great player but an even better bandmate and person. I doubt anyone would want to spend weeks and months with an a-hole. Also about the chops thing lol, it's funny because there are other drummers here that can blow me away in a drum solo but I get more calls because I'm more song orientated. I'm soooooo glad I learned from great local drummers and musicians here, just like you did. I would go watch all the local bands, pick brains and eventually when I was good enough to gig I had developed relationships. Plus I have to problems with constructive criticism, although I did have my moments where I wanted to quit, and felt like I'd never be good enough. Then I realized if they didn't care or want me to improve they could've said I was good and never called me again LOL . So I would say a couple local drummers, and many local musicians help develop me into the player I am today.

As far as gear I bring to a gig with a house kit, it's the same as you, snare, kick pedal, cymbals, and 1 extra cymbal for my ride. I play open handed and with most floor toms being the floating kind moving a cymbal stand to the hi hat side usual means losing the floor tom. I'm left handed and when I taught myself I didn't know I could completely flip the kit around. I'm also right footed anyway so it all worked out I guess, I do still start my rolls with my left which also has some challenges.

Nice list, to be honest I could keep going all day with influences and music I like to listen to. Carlos Vega is another great session guy, love his work on James Taylor's live album (1993). Funny thing is when I got into drums my goal was to be a session guy locally, and my dream was to play in the SNL band lol. Motown is what I listen to when I'm warming up for a golf tournament, or when I'm at practice. Motown mix, Stevie Wonder's "Fulfillingness' First Finale" album, Diana Krall, Jamie Cullum are all my go to music to relax and focus before a tournament.

I'll check out those local drummers you listed!

With golf, just keep playing and having fun. Skins or local tournaments are always fun to switch it up and experience a different side of the game. That's how it started for me, I kept playing, then I started going to the range, my scores kept dropping.

OGA Member #3232

Ping Anser 2

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 rainkingjr

rainkingjr

Major Winner

• 1,884 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52783
GolfWRX Likes : 499

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:44 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=D7gfVO5_f2o

Words of wisdom from one on your list Pauluan. I have been playing off and on for about 25 years. Started off strong in my late teens/early 20's, but fizzled out as relationships/career took over. I'm without a kit presently, but my wife keeps telling me to buy another as she knows how much I love playing and fully supports me doing so. I have owned the following kits. Started out with a set of Yamaha Tour Customs. Had those for a few years until I purchased the best set I've ever owned which was a custom made set from Baltimore Drum Co. Amazing kit. Sold those while engaged at 26 years old. That marriage never happened and my greatest loss in the whole ordeal was that drum kit. Ended up buying a Yamaha Maple Custom kit a few years latter. Another great set. Had that for a few years then sold it after buying a new home.  Really have the itch for a new set now. Was leaning towards going more economical with something like a Gretsch Catalina Maple as I won't be gigging out. Just want a kit for home. I know myself though, I'll have buyers remorse and yearn for something a little higher end. I may go for another set of Baltimore Drum Co. (They are back in business after a short layoff). They'll be pricey though. The two other kits that have my attention are Mapex Saturn V's and Pearl Masters Maple Completes.

I like a lot of the guys you listed. I've been to a few Dennis Chambers clinics. Jeff Porcaro is one of my all time favorites. People don't realize how many songs he has recorded or even other members of Toto for that matter. Benny Greb is another guy I like. Ray Luzier, Derrico Watson, Lee Pearson, Russ Miller. So many great players out there. I could go on and on. Great to see some other drummers on here.
Cobra F7+ Fujikura Pro 61 stiff
Tour Edge Exotcs E8 3 wood Fujikura Pro 72 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics E8 UST Recoil 670 stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 4-GW DG Pro S300
Cleveland RTX 3 Tour raw 56 and 60
Odyseey White Hot Pro V-Line
Snell MTB

#12 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:09 AM

rainkingjr, thanks for sharing that video and your relationship and love for the drums!

In that clip he mentions the importance of listening and space. My ear and listening skills are good thankfully but that was because I'm no good at reading music. So to survive I had to train my ear, that made me learn how to hear everything but the drums. Because I was a vocalist first, I would navigate by lyrics, or the head when playing jazz. This listening then somewhat consumed me and I began to really enjoy listening to all the little details, chord selection, tone, etc. I also remember always hearing, you have to enjoy the space. Dennis just said it in that video, Steve Gadd has said, Billy Ward in a old Modern Drummer festival did as well. In the first 3-4 years I still really didn't know what that meant. Until it hit me, drummers have " I must hit things" syndrome most times, the band becomes a backing track to experiment on your latest "look how cool I am lick" LOL. I got dirty looks, but thankfully I wasn't too much of a risk taker. I think that's partly because I didn't spend all day practicing with the intent of regurgitating all the new chops I learned at the gig. I have to credit my Brother, and all the great and generous musicians that I've played with for guiding me. Sorry I lost my train of thought there haha, back to space. I couldn't grasp space because I hadn't really developed, I was insecure about my playing, kinda like cooking a dish and it tastes good but you insist on adding more seasoning until it's over seasoned. My breakthrough with this type of space came from playing in a 90's hip hop band, I had to play a specific groove, as simple and as solid as possible. It taught me how to properly use fills, and when done correctly they supported the music. I learned that even ghost notes can be to busy, sometimes ghost notes can be a crutch to help the groove. So learning how to play without them was tricky. I went into that gig thinking it would be something simple and it ended up being one of the most developmental times of my playing.

Sounds like you've had some kits in your day!!! I almost sold mine, thankfully I didn't, my kit is my baby. I still have my first real gigging kit, a Pearl Maple Session Custom. That kit has been through hell and back and it still sings haha. The kit options you listed are all great, I haven't geeked out on gear in a while I'm sure I'm way behind now. I've always had a soft spot for Yamaha Drums personally. Whatever you decide kit wise I'm sure will be great, at least you'll have one again and can enjoy jamming out.

Jeff Porcaro was indeed on a TON of recordings, Derrico Watson is another great player I enjoyed his work with Victor Wooten. All the guys you named are great, and your right there tons of drummers. Jeff Hamilton is on the Diana Krall album I've been wearing out lately haha. His playing is fantastic, especially his brush work. I love brushes, so musical.

I'm glad there are drummers here on WRX too, hoping more come and join us.
OGA Member #3232

Ping Anser 2

#13 rainkingjr

rainkingjr

Major Winner

• 1,884 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:11 AM

Dennis doesn't read music either and he is regarded as one of the best in the world. My of my all time favorite works by a drummer is the drumming of Steve Bowman on Counting Crows first album August and Everything After.
Snell MTB

#14 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• 1,167 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:52 PM

guys i have a couple drum books- stick control for the snare drummer and rockin bass drum. these books are old but they seem to have helped me a little. do yall have any other recommendations of books you used when you started?

#15 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:03 PM

View Postprsgtrman, on 31 October 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

guys i have a couple drum books- stick control for the snare drummer and rockin bass drum. these books are old but they seem to have helped me a little. do yall have any other recommendations of books you used when you started?

Well, I can't read music LOL BUT the one book I hear mentioned a lot is Gary Chester's "New Breed". I actually have both Stick Control and New Breed, bought them 5 years when I almost attempted to teach myself to read. I failed lol

New Breed, Gary Chester

OGA Member #3232

Ping Anser 2

#16 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• 1,167 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:53 AM

thanks i just downloaded it and 4 way coordination. its amazing the amount of free stuff that is on the www. i dont read music either but since picking up drumming i can read it a little bit. its pretty straight forward for the easier stuff(granted you guys wouldnt be playing the easier stuff).

#17 rainkingjr

rainkingjr

Major Winner

• 1,884 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

Check out Mike Johnston's videos on youtube. Killer player and a fantastic teacher.
Snell MTB

#18 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:25 PM

View Postprsgtrman, on 01 November 2016 - 07:53 AM, said:

thanks i just downloaded it and 4 way coordination. its amazing the amount of free stuff that is on the www. i dont read music either but since picking up drumming i can read it a little bit. its pretty straight forward for the easier stuff(granted you guys wouldnt be playing the easier stuff).

I really should try a little harder, I can read basic stuff. I'm no expert drummer, I just love to make music.

That being said, your doing it the right way! Don't forget after your drum set exercises to just play along to lots of different music, get that pocket happening.

Oh yeah, another great way to learn independence AND groove at the same time is learning Latin rhythms, that stuff will make your head hurt. I'm trying to learn all the different rhythms. A lot of them require a lot of independence. Just youtube that as well.

Edited by Palauan Hammer, 01 November 2016 - 04:29 PM.

OGA Member #3232

Ping Anser 2

#19 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:26 PM

View Postrainkingjr, on 01 November 2016 - 11:21 AM, said:

Check out Mike Johnston's videos on youtube. Killer player and a fantastic teacher.

Yes, Mike Johnston! Great recommendation, also I find a lot of the drumeo stuff to be informative. However Mikes lessons are direct and to the point which is nice.
OGA Member #3232

Ping Anser 2

#20 Golfer827

Golfer827

Known as 'The Deadman'

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29146
  • Handicap:30
  • Ebay ID:short827
GolfWRX Likes : 967

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:44 PM

Not a big set/kit guy. I'm more Drum Corps and Marching Band. I also dabbled in Wind Ensemble and Orchestral for a brief moment. Actually went to college initially to be a Career Percussionist, but after being told I would never make it (yet, had already done the stuff they said I'd never do) and finding out I liked hanging out with friends more than my studies, I left school.

Callaway GBB EPIC, 10.5, Fujikura Pro Green 62
Callaway GBB EPIC, 15, Matrix 65Q4 Red Tie
Callaway XR16, 19, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 FW
Titleist 716 AP1, 4-AW, XP90, R300
Vokey SM6, Steel Grey, 52 and 56, F Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ???????????

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:16 AM

View PostGolfer827, on 01 November 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

Not a big set/kit guy. I'm more Drum Corps and Marching Band. I also dabbled in Wind Ensemble and Orchestral for a brief moment. Actually went to college initially to be a Career Percussionist, but after being told I would never make it (yet, had already done the stuff they said I'd never do) and finding out I liked hanging out with friends more than my studies, I left school.

Cool, I always envy marching drummers for thier technique and the mastery of the rudiments! Orchestral playing sounds fun too.

Hats off to you though, you made it further than I ever did! I thought about Berklee back in the day (2002) but I would never pass the reading test, let alone be able to afford it either. In 2008 I was accepted to LA Music Academy, but also realized I wouldn't be able to afford it. No regrets though

Edited by Palauan Hammer, 02 November 2016 - 05:16 AM.

OGA Member #3232

Ping Anser 2

#22 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• 1,167 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:46 PM

have you guys played guitar at all? i find that drums are exponentially harder than guitar.

#23 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:56 PM

View Postprsgtrman, on 02 November 2016 - 06:46 PM, said:

have you guys played guitar at all? i find that drums are exponentially harder than guitar.

I have, and I still can. I'm very elementary though, bar chords open chords, some picking. More of a "bbq" guitarist, sing and play. Zero skills though LOL
OGA Member #3232

Ping Anser 2

#24 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 10143

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:14 PM

I am a guitar player but I shoulda been a drummer. I discovered them too late. But now, whenever my drummer shows up a little late or gets up to take a pee, I jump on the throne. I love it, so much kinetic fun. Then, he comes and kicks me off and re-adjusts the small millimeter changes I made in his setup.
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

#25 T Shaf

T Shaf

Major Winner

• 2,249 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8606
GolfWRX Likes : 485

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:39 AM

Damn, I shouldn't have clicked on this thread...been a drummer from a very young age. Sold my Vintage Finish Yamaha Maple Custom in 1998 when I got married and haven't played since...should've kept the kit (wife's gone too). Think about getting back into it someday, following this thread might inspire me.

Fun fact - I played in grade school band with Glenn Kotche (drummer for Wilco) always knew he'd go very far with it.

Have fun guys, drummers are the best!

Edited by T Shaf, 03 November 2016 - 12:44 AM.

Callaway Epic SZ 10.5* - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 60 TS
Callaway Epic SZ 15* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
Callaway Apex 20* - Fuji Atmos Blue TS 85X
Cobra King Pro CB 4-PW Modus 3 120 TX
Cobra King Pro MB GW - Modus 3 125 Wedge
Vokey SM6 54-S - Modus 3 125 Wedge
Vokey SM6 58-L - Modus 3 125 Wedge
Odyssey MXM #1
Chrome Soft X Truvis Yellow/Black

#26 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:50 AM

View PostT Shaf, on 03 November 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

Damn, I shouldn't have clicked on this thread...been a drummer from a very young age. Sold my Vintage Finish Yamaha Maple Custom in 1998 when I got married and haven't played since...should've kept the kit (wife's gone too). Think about getting back into it someday, following this thread might inspire me.

Fun fact - I played in grade school band with Glenn Kotche (drummer for Wilco) always knew he'd go very far with it.

Have fun guys, drummers are the best!

I think it's time you got a kit and started jamming again :)  I'm actually thinking of getting a nice electronic kit, so many things you can do with a nice one. Plus you can jam at anytime, backing tracks, and not worry about waking the neighbors.

Glenn Kotche is amazing, some people just ooze rhythm, he comes to mind. Plus so musical and innovative as well.
OGA Member #3232

Ping Anser 2

#27 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:52 AM

View Postthug the bunny, on 02 November 2016 - 09:14 PM, said:

I am a guitar player but I shoulda been a drummer. I discovered them too late. But now, whenever my drummer shows up a little late or gets up to take a pee, I jump on the throne. I love it, so much kinetic fun. Then, he comes and kicks me off and re-adjusts the small millimeter changes I made in his setup.

Drummers have fun for sure, but were the first ones there, and last ones to leave lol. Oh yeah, it's nanometers not millimeters :D

Hope all is well there Thug :)
OGA Member #3232

Ping Anser 2

#28 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 10143

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:04 PM

View PostPalauan Hammer, on 03 November 2016 - 04:52 AM, said:

Drummers have fun for sure, but were the first ones there, and last ones to leave lol. Oh yeah, it's nanometers not millimeters :D

Yeah doing well Ham. Hope you're rocking the island. I haven't been playing much golf lately, been putting more time into doing things I used to love, such as getting back together with my old buds to get a band together again. It's funny, now when I do head out for a round once every two weeks, I absolutely love it, and play well.

Yes, you guys are off chart with your sub-nanometer adjustments. But guitar players are the same in some ways. If I don't bring my ax and someone offers me theirs, the first thing I do is adjust the strap height. I usually ask the owner unless it has devolved into the end of the night anyone grab an instrument deal then I don't care. Again, if I get on someone else's amp, I will always fiddle with the tone controls until I get at least close to what I want.
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

#29 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:02 AM

View Postthug the bunny, on 03 November 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

View PostPalauan Hammer, on 03 November 2016 - 04:52 AM, said:

Yeah doing well Ham. Hope you're rocking the island. I haven't been playing much golf lately, been putting more time into doing things I used to love, such as getting back together with my old buds to get a band together again. It's funny, now when I do head out for a round once every two weeks, I absolutely love it, and play well.

Yes, you guys are off chart with your sub-nanometer adjustments. But guitar players are the same in some ways. If I don't bring my ax and someone offers me theirs, the first thing I do is adjust the strap height. I usually ask the owner unless it has devolved into the end of the night anyone grab an instrument deal then I don't care. Again, if I get on someone else's amp, I will always fiddle with the tone controls until I get at least close to what I want.

Glad to hear things are good!! That's awesome you and your friends are getting the band back together, and I'm a big believer in having other outlets besides golf. We all know how addictive and frustrating golf can be, it's nice to miss it for once.

Honestly, any serious musician will have everything placed and adjusted just to their liking. Adjusting the guitar strap is like adjusting the drum throne if you get called up to jam, as long as you ask it's cool. I been blessed here surrounded by lots a great guitar players so I kinda know about some of the gear. One guitarist I played with had like 8 different stomp boxes and the cords all looked like spaghetti (which drives me nuts lol) so I always help him run all his cords neatly. I like that about the stage, I like it neat but I'm not a d*ck about lol, I just offer to help them set up haha.
OGA Member #3232

Ping Anser 2

#30 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:34 AM

Thought I'd share a song I've been having fun drumming along to. Trying to knock the rust off my playing, I've noticed my faster single hand sixteenth notes on the hi-hat is a struggle now, I get super stiff. LOTS OF RUST.

Anyway, it's not a clip of me playing just wanted to share good music and a song with a killer groove. It's Jamiroquai (one of my favorite bands) tune entitled "Hooked Up". This tune has a very "Tower of Power" vibe, this is the kinda stuff that I really enjoy playing.

OGA Member #3232

Ping Anser 2

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors