Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Humbled by a kid

36 replies to this topic

#31 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 979

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:29 PM

View PostSantiago Golf, on 01 October 2016 - 08:45 PM, said:

View PostEKELLY, on 01 October 2016 - 08:07 PM, said:

Give a kid a 4' piece of 2x4 wood and he doesn't need lessons. Hit the ball without hitting the 2x4 and you have  a kid that will NEVER slice a golf ball......That is the difference in starting them young with lessons....Once a golfer discovers the out-to-in path (slice), it's over.......

I dont know Dustin Johnson, hits with out to path for cut and actually Phil hits out to in to hit his pull draw.

Personally I prefer having a path of 2 or 3 degrees across the to hit a cut with my driver and then 2-1 degrees with irons to draws and cuts.

The killer move in golf is most people dont start with lessons and have awful grips and awful setup. Which leads awful that will be tougher to change as time goes on due thry will get really bad if you try to change before thry will ever get good.
LOLOL...........You tell a kid to swing to the outside, he'll be duck-hooking it right away......That drill is to eliminate the over the top move before it sets in......

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 kozubs

kozubs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176704
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

Just to bring this one back to life.  The kid I've been speaking about is going to Winged Foot this weekend for the final round for the Drive Chip and Putt qualifying for next years Masters.

He won his first session and I heard through the grapevine that he scored the highest out of anybody qualifying.  He must have destroyed in the driving and putting because he said he skulled his chip.  

He also just won easily won our junior club Championship, and is the Niagara Junior champion of Champions.

Insane as he's only been playing for 2/5 years.

#33 Ayoung19

Ayoung19

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 308591
  • Handicap:+0.3
  • Ebay ID:a_young92
GolfWRX Likes : 756

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

View Postkozubs, on 29 September 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

Just to bring this one back to life.  The kid I've been speaking about is going to Winged Foot this weekend for the final round for the Drive Chip and Putt qualifying for next years Masters.

He won his first session and I heard through the grapevine that he scored the highest out of anybody qualifying.  He must have destroyed in the driving and putting because he said he skulled his chip.  

He also just won easily won our junior club Championship, and is the Niagara Junior champion of Champions.

Insane as he's only been playing for 2/5 years.

Tell him congrats from the WRX family!
TM M1 460 Fujikura Pro 73X
TM M2 3 wood Fujikura Pro 73X
TM UDI 2 iron UST TSPX 85X
Adams A12 Pro Hybrid Matrix Ozik 100X
Mizuno JPX900 Forged 5-9 Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM6 46F 52F 56M 60M
TM Tour Spider Red

#34 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

Ah..... the young and healthy back , with the fearless "can do" attitude.

I had lost mine somewhere, long ago, but I remember those days.

#35 kozubs

kozubs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176704
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:09 AM

Well he did it.

He won his qualifier at Winged Foot and got his ticket to the 2018 Drive Chip and Putt at the Masters.

I'm so happy for him, and also pretty jealous.

#36 suprfli6

suprfli6

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286428
  • Handicap:8-10
GolfWRX Likes : 158

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

View Postkozubs, on 02 October 2017 - 07:09 AM, said:

Well he did it.

He won his qualifier at Winged Foot and got his ticket to the 2018 Drive Chip and Putt at the Masters.

I'm so happy for him, and also pretty jealous.
That's awesome! The son of the owner at my course came pretty close to qualifying this year. He's in 7th grade and shoots in the high 30s on his good days with the varsity team. He'll probably be the A player by 9th grade if he sticks with it.

#37 swing thoughts

swing thoughts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 349485
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:54 PM

View Postplaya, on 12 October 2016 - 12:59 AM, said:

View Postkozubs, on 30 September 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

A couple of weeks ago after my club championship I asked how one of the juniors how he shot.  He said he shot 73 75.  This was from 5900 yards.  I was blown away as I shot in the 80s.

I've seen him on the range a lot. He has a great swing, traps it extremely well and everything is a tight draw right down the line.  A couple weeks ago I played nine with my wife and he was behind us.  I was entering my score after the round.  I was quite happy with even through nine.  He came in and I asked him how he played.  Minus 3 (through nine) and I lipped out a 10 footer for 4 under he said.

Last week he was playing a challenge with our pro on the range.  I begged the pro not to make this kid any better.  Anyways, I went to tee off and he asked if he could join me for 5 holes or so before his parents came to get him.  He played the blues with me.  I had a big distance advantage over him and was driving it very well that day. He was clearly swinging out of his shoes trying to keep up.  I told him to play his own game and that in a couple years he'd likely be air mailing my shots.  Once he relaxed he pared everything.

Here's the kicker.  He's 13 and only joined our club this year.  Our course isn't very long but is extremely tough with very high rough and lots of elevation changes.  You better watch you ball if it enters the rough or you will likely loose it. He used to play at a local pitch and put.  I was confused when he said this because he was so good.  I asked him how long he's been playing.  He just started last summer!  His friend wanted to go golfing so he got a cheap set of clubs and went out.

I'm blown away by this.  Not only is he shooting sub par rounds after 1 year of playing, but he's doing it completely honest with a great attitude.  He does played in local am tour this year and got 3rd.  He won our junior championship.  

Its great to see him out there.  I hope he sticks with it and puberty doesn't mess with him too much.
Keep an eye out for this kid, you might hear big things in the future. To get that good that quick his natural talent is off the scale.

Indeed. My dad had a friend like that growing up that he played with around 10 or 11 years who was shooting in the 70s after a few rounds on the local muny. Turned out to be Ben Crenshaw.
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha DBD 9*
Cobra Bio Cell Fairway 13.5
Cobra Fly-Z hybrid 16.5*
Mizuno MP 69 3-P DS300 Gold Stiff
Taylormade Tour Preferred EF52*
Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 58*
Putter varies day to day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors