Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

2017 Srixon Q Star Tour

292 replies to this topic

#61 Ace2000

Ace2000

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 455698
  • Handicap:2.2
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:48 PM

View Postsergio285, on 06 March 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

Trial packs are supposed to be out early April. Bought a couple z stat packs couldn't beat it for 10 dollars. Was hoping q star packs will be cheaper.

Sweet thanks. Will be on the lookout!

DRIVER - Cobra Bio Cell+ 10.5*D, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3, stiff, SuperStroke S-Tech grip
3 WOOD - Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15*, Aldila Rogue Silver 70, stiff, Lamkin Exotics grip
4 WOOD - Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3, regular, Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 grip
3 HYBRID - Adams Pro 20*, Aldila Tour Red, stiff, Lamkin Crossline grip

3 IRON - Air Force One AFX Pro, Apollo Steel, stiff, stock grip
4 IRON-PW -
Posted Image Rocketbladez Tour, KBS C-Taper Lite S, stiff, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Midsize grips
GW - MacGregor VIP Black 52* (Vers. 1, conforming), 6* bounce, MacGregor shaft, Medalist grip
SW -
Posted Image Tour Preferred ATV 56*, KBS Tour-V, Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip
PUTTER - Odyssey White Ice 330 Mallet
GLOVE - MG DynaGrip Elite
BALL -
Srixon Z-Star / Posted Image TP5X / Srixon Q-Star Tour / Volvik Vivid
BAG - Nike Air Hybrid Carry II bag (Navy/Blue)
SHOES - Nike Lunar Control 3 (Black), Nike FI Premiere (Gray), Nike FI Premiere (Black), Nike Air Zoom Rival 4 (White), Nike Lunar Control 4 (White/Crimson), Nike Lunar Control 4 (Navy/Blue)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394742
GolfWRX Likes : 976

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

View PostGeaux Gators, on 06 March 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

View Post2010PGA, on 05 March 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

We were talking from a performance standpoint.  I've played the q Star before too.  But with higher SS you won't get all the true performance that the ball is designed for since you are swinging faster than what was intended. Don't get me wrong I'm going to try them out too.  But was told I would see less side spin and trajectory would be different since I'm swinging higher than what the ball was designed for.

The lower side spin is, even with my higher speed, is where I will get the most out of it...  I don't think my SS being what it is hurts me, because I don't hit it enough "on the screws"  if you follow me... I can catch one just off center from perfect and the thing goes a mile.  but I don't know if I have ever caught anything dead on perfect... (the way I have been swinging lately, I would highly doubt it)  

i think that my lousy contact (hence the fact that I have a handicap) makes a large bit of difference of my swing speed and actual contact....

For most of us average Joes, lower side spin translates to more effective distance. By that I mean that the ball travels the same amount of total distance except with the reduction of side spin the line traveled is straighter.

#63 weezel514

weezel514

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37602
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

View PostAce2000, on 06 March 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

When are the 6-packs of these coming out?

Heads up that I scored a six pack of these at PGA TOUR Superstore today for $10.  They were in the clubmaking section of the Orlando store.  Cheers!

#64 Geaux Gators

Geaux Gators

GEAUX GATORS

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250880
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 758

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

View Postchippa13, on 07 March 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

View PostGeaux Gators, on 06 March 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

View Post2010PGA, on 05 March 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

We were talking from a performance standpoint.  I've played the q Star before too.  But with higher SS you won't get all the true performance that the ball is designed for since you are swinging faster than what was intended. Don't get me wrong I'm going to try them out too.  But was told I would see less side spin and trajectory would be different since I'm swinging higher than what the ball was designed for.

The lower side spin is, even with my higher speed, is where I will get the most out of it...  I don't think my SS being what it is hurts me, because I don't hit it enough "on the screws"  if you follow me... I can catch one just off center from perfect and the thing goes a mile.  but I don't know if I have ever caught anything dead on perfect... (the way I have been swinging lately, I would highly doubt it)  

i think that my lousy contact (hence the fact that I have a handicap) makes a large bit of difference of my swing speed and actual contact....

For most of us average Joes, lower side spin translates to more effective distance. By that I mean that the ball travels the same amount of total distance except with the reduction of side spin the line traveled is straighter.
and it does this for me as well... even with my SS, I honestly don't think I can truly over compress it... I just don't think i can.. if that was the case, Keegan Bradley would be able to over compress the regular Zstar with his SS...  i mean his is upwards of 115-120 if I remember correctly. (i could be wrong)

But I am a high spin hitter with the big stick, and a low spin hitter with the irons... (i tend to hit the ball ever so fat as to take the spin off)  

So if I can control the big stick spin, the Zstar XV helps me spin the ball a little more with the irons....

If I spun the ball better, I would probably play the Qstar a little more...
Ping G400 LST Aldila Aldila Tour Blue X
Ping i25 3w Aldila Rogue Silver 70 3.1 S
Ping i25 5w Aldila Rogue Silver 70 3.1 S
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping iBlades Blue Dot Project X 6.0 5-W (power spec)
Ping Glide 2.0 48/52/56
Ping Tyne
Srixon Z-Star
Bushnell Tour X

#65 bigbutch

bigbutch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131009
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:38 PM

View Poststorm319, on 24 September 2016 - 09:34 PM, said:

View Postob18, on 16 September 2016 - 07:51 PM, said:

View Postdciccoritti, on 16 September 2016 - 07:41 PM, said:

Need to try this. Also need to try the Z-Star.

Like the Z-star but for me it's too expensive...........if this Q-Star tour is $25 or so per box it might be worth a try

Not going to happen since $25/dozen is the price of the 2-piece surlyn QStar. If the UK prices are any indication, the QStar Tour should start around $35-$40/dozen here in the states.

I've seen them for $29.95. 3 piece urethane cover ball, not too bad.

#66 willsnope

willsnope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60775
  • Ebay ID:williamsnope
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:47 PM

Cannot wait for this ball wouldn't be surprised if its a great fit for most mid cappers

#67 weezel514

weezel514

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37602
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:45 PM

View Postweezel514, on 07 March 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

Heads up that I scored a six pack of these at PGA TOUR Superstore today for $10.  They were in the clubmaking section of the Orlando store.  Cheers!

Following up after my round with these yesterday. I am a 15 handicap and shot an 81 using this ball. Awesome feel, softer than Z Star for sure. Lots of spin with these. The deepest ball marks I've ever seen on the greens. Worked great through the wind and distance was about average compared Pro V. Scuffed a little bit but still an awesome ball. Highly recommend. I swing a driver about 105mph and was able to compress these easily and work the ball off the tee.

#68 Ace2000

Ace2000

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 455698
  • Handicap:2.2
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

Can't find them online yet... hopefully soon!
DRIVER - Cobra Bio Cell+ 10.5*D, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3, stiff, SuperStroke S-Tech grip
3 WOOD - Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15*, Aldila Rogue Silver 70, stiff, Lamkin Exotics grip
4 WOOD - Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3, regular, Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 grip
3 HYBRID - Adams Pro 20*, Aldila Tour Red, stiff, Lamkin Crossline grip

3 IRON - Air Force One AFX Pro, Apollo Steel, stiff, stock grip
4 IRON-PW -
Posted Image Rocketbladez Tour, KBS C-Taper Lite S, stiff, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Midsize grips
GW - MacGregor VIP Black 52* (Vers. 1, conforming), 6* bounce, MacGregor shaft, Medalist grip
SW -
Posted Image Tour Preferred ATV 56*, KBS Tour-V, Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip
PUTTER - Odyssey White Ice 330 Mallet
GLOVE - MG DynaGrip Elite
BALL -
Srixon Z-Star / Posted Image TP5X / Srixon Q-Star Tour / Volvik Vivid
BAG - Nike Air Hybrid Carry II bag (Navy/Blue)
SHOES - Nike Lunar Control 3 (Black), Nike FI Premiere (Gray), Nike FI Premiere (Black), Nike Air Zoom Rival 4 (White), Nike Lunar Control 4 (White/Crimson), Nike Lunar Control 4 (Navy/Blue)

#69 erock9174

erock9174

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:42 PM

View Postweezel514, on 12 March 2017 - 11:45 PM, said:

Following up after my round with these yesterday. I am a 15 handicap and shot an 81 using this ball. Awesome feel, softer than Z Star for sure. Lots of spin with these. The deepest ball marks I've ever seen on the greens. Worked great through the wind and distance was about average compared Pro V. Scuffed a little bit but still an awesome ball. Highly recommend. I swing a driver about 105mph and was able to compress these easily and work the ball off the tee.

Doesn't moisture in the green dictate how deep the ball goes?
If a ball plugs its cause the soil is too moist, not that it spins. �
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha HZRDUS T800
Hybrids: Exotics Xrail 20*/23*/26*
Irons: Cleveland 588 Altitude 6-9
Wedges: Cleveland Altitude PW/DW/SW; Callaway Sure Out 64*

Chipper: Odyssey X-Act Tank
Putter: Odyssey MXM #7
Grips: Iomic
Ball: Vice Pro Soft Lime
Bag: Sun Mountain Four 5

Tracking: Game Golf

#70 Geaux Gators

Geaux Gators

GEAUX GATORS

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:21 AM

there is that and the angle in which the ball was hitting the green...  that is somewhat a byproduct of spin...

Ping Glide 2.0 48/52/56
Ping Tyne
Srixon Z-Star
Bushnell Tour X

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 snagy2000

snagy2000

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9545
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

Played ball first time today. Shot one of the best scores of the year. Ball is a lot better than old version. Nice spin around greens. Good alternative to Zstar if you're looking for cheaper alternative.

#72 JSunGolfPharmD

JSunGolfPharmD

• 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57877
  • Ebay ID:fugakyu007
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

We got a dozen of these at the Kiawah Golf Channel Am Tour  Major.  I put it in play since the Ocean course was going to eat my lunch anyways...probably a mistake for my game.  Quick review.  I am a normal Z Star guy and have been transition to the new Z Star since I ho'd 14 dozen trial packs.  Put these in play and some thoughts...It feels like a chrome soft type ball...it is soft!  Does not fight through the wind as much as I would like.  I am a 105mph drive swing guy, so I swing hard.  Off the tee, it was just as long as the new Z Star, trajectory is similar, but not as piercing as the XV (I've played that too.)  Around the greens it performs well, but I felt the z-star performed better for me checking up.  My biggest issue and same with the Chrome Soft is that on approach shots, since you can compress the hell out of it, it gets up high AND FAST.  Even I knock down shots I felt like it just got airborne in a hurry.  It does seem like it falls out of the sky, so if you need the help on approach shots getting airborne...this is your ball, however the wind and maybe it was because it was the ocean course, just ate it up.  It is a solid all around ball and I would definitely encourage folks to play it.

It does have a much different dimple pattern on the ball as well.

#73 snagy2000

snagy2000

Tour Winner

• 931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9545
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:33 PM

Played second round with the Q-star today. Again, another good score. No problems with the wind at all. Its an all around solid ball. I hated the older version because it was just not a very good ball. I would definitely recommend giving this ball a try if you don't want to play the premium priced balls.

#74 Geaux Gators

Geaux Gators

GEAUX GATORS

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:45 AM

and see I am a die hard Zstar XV guy.  But I thought the Qstar (at least the last generation) was a great ball.  Was it a Zstar? No, because it was a Qstar.   it wasn't supposed to be as good as the Zstar, or I would be playing it instead.  But it was, in my opinion a solid all around ball...  It was better than a Top Flite Gamer, which also, aint bad...

I thought it was better than the super soft...thought it was better than either NXT.  

and its a little cheaper than the Zstar.... so it shouldn't be "as good"

crazy how one thing is good for me and its junk for you.  Golf is so subjective.  Just goes to show, that most of this stuff is in our heads.  The brain wedge is the worst club in my bag.

edit: i am not talking about the tour, i am talking about the regular Qstar

Edited by Geaux Gators, 23 March 2017 - 05:16 AM.

Ping Glide 2.0 48/52/56
Ping Tyne
Srixon Z-Star
Bushnell Tour X

#75 JSunGolfPharmD

JSunGolfPharmD

• 231 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

View PostGeaux Gators, on 20 March 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

and see I am a die hard Zstar XV guy.  But I thought the Zstar (at least the last generation) was a great ball.  Was it a Zstar? No, because it was a Qstar.   it wasn't supposed to be as good as the Zstar, or I would be playing it instead.  But it was, in my opinion a solid all around ball...  It was better than a Top Flite Gamer, which also, aint bad...

I thought it was better than the super soft...thought it was better than either NXT.  

and its a little cheaper than the Zstar.... so it shouldn't be "as good"

crazy how one thing is good for me and its junk for you.  Golf is so subjective.  Just goes to show, that most of this stuff is in our heads.  The brain wedge is the worst club in my bag.

I honestly think the dimple pattern on the zstar and firmer core make all the difference in the world between the two balls when it comes to wind and spin based upon your playing specs.

That being said I do like the feel of the Qstar off the putter face more then the zstar. But approach characteristics are more important then putting feel to me.  For me that is the deal breaker between the two balls.  I'll exhaust this dozen and give it a truer test on my home course.  I played two extreme ball grinder course in the ocean course and turtle (concrete) point. The qstar tour did perform very well on low runners and bump and runs as turtle point may have been the tightest firmest corse I've ever played. Balls took 15 foot high hops off approach shots hitting greens.

It is a solid option on the market for sure. It's every bit as good as a Bridgestone 330rx and the chrome soft. Not for a firmer feel player but if you desire feel get all that you want out of this.

#76 pjc

pjc

In The Middle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90835
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

Reading through the posts in this thread, I see some people stating that the new Q Star Tour is better than the last version or the older version.  The Q Star Tour is the first generation here in NA, there is no "older" model.  In the UK, they have had the AD 333 Tour for a while now, I believe it is probably the same ball just called something different here.  If people are comparing the new Q Star Tour to the already existing regular Q Star  2 piece surlyn cover ball, then they do not seem to be very conscious of what they are playing.  Just pointing it out so that folks can possibly make better comparisons.  I think testing the Z Star to the Q Star Tour is more relevant.
Srixon Z-TX 10.5* OG MRC Diamana BB 63 S
Ping G25 4 wood 16.5* TFC 189F S
Srixon Z U65 3 Miyazaki Kaula 7 S
Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW Nippon 1050GH S
Bridgestone J15 forged 51* Nippon 1050GH S
Cleveland RTX-3 56* V-MG Tour Satin TT XP 115 S
Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 V-Line
Srixon Z-STAR, Z-STAR XV, Bridgestone B330 RX, B330 S

#77 2010PGA

2010PGA

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 290121
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

PJC is correct.   Q Star tour is the same as AD 333 tour over in UK. The Q Star tour could be thought of as a Z Star soft.

Driver: TM M1
3 Wood: TM M1
Irons: Cobra King 3-PW, Tour Trusty GW, PM Grind LW (Also have a set of Srixon 545's 3-PW)
Ball: Srixon Z star, CS, Q Star, Project A
Putter: Metal X #7
Bag: Sun Mountain C130 Stand

#78 Geaux Gators

Geaux Gators

GEAUX GATORS

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:14 AM

This basically replaces what was the old Zstar SL that people loved...  and were not really happy about going away, does it not?
Ping Glide 2.0 48/52/56
Ping Tyne
Srixon Z-Star
Bushnell Tour X

#79 theshadow1971

theshadow1971

Shadow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 375724
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:24 AM

View Post2010PGA, on 22 March 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

PJC is correct.   Q Star tour is the same as AD 333 tour over in UK. The Q Star tour could be thought of as a Z Star soft.

So I wonder if the Q Star Tour & AD333 Tour are the equivalent of the Srixon Tri-Star (3piece) sold in the Asia markets especially Japan.

https://golf.dunlop....l/tri_star.html
Srixon (asian specs)

Z545 10.5* Driver
Z F45 15* 3W
Z H45 19* 3 Hybrid
Z745 3-PW

Z745 AW@51* & SW@57*

Cleveland Classic HB 2 Black Pearl Putter
Bridgestone B330RXS

#80 2010PGA

2010PGA

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

View PostGeaux Gators, on 23 March 2017 - 05:14 AM, said:

This basically replaces what was the old Zstar SL that people loved...  and were not really happy about going away, does it not?

Didn't hear that. But you could maybe say that.  Until I hit the Q Star tour I won't be able to tell you. But from what they say about the Q Star tour you might be right.  

Irons: Cobra King 3-PW, Tour Trusty GW, PM Grind LW (Also have a set of Srixon 545's 3-PW)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 2010PGA

2010PGA

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:08 PM

View Posttheshadow1971, on 23 March 2017 - 07:24 AM, said:

So I wonder if the Q Star Tour & AD333 Tour are the equivalent of the Srixon Tri-Star (3piece) sold in the Asia markets especially Japan.

No, Q Star tour has a urethane cover. Heard of tri speed but not a tri star. The tri speed tour in the US is not urethane cover.  Only Srixon balls to my knowledge right now with urethane covers are Q Star tour, Z Star, XV.  

#82 theshadow1971

theshadow1971

Shadow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 375724
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

View Post2010PGA, on 23 March 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

View Posttheshadow1971, on 23 March 2017 - 07:24 AM, said:

No, Q Star tour has a urethane cover. Heard of tri speed but not a tri star. The tri speed tour in the US is not urethane cover.  Only Srixon balls to my knowledge right now with urethane covers are Q Star tour, Z Star, XV.  

Here is the link for Tri-Star. Your right it is not urethane,  It has a soft rebound ionomer cover.

Some translations of the Japanese specs below.

"Rabalon ®HR +" blending high-rebound soft mid

High-rebound soft ionomer cover
High grip spin coating
by high grip spin coating, the ball is firmly bite to the face in the approach shot, delivers a stable spin control performance was.

Large diameter high back Requested Procedure EGG Uア
"High rebound large diameter EGG by the core", to achieve a big jump and soft feeling of the high launch low spin.

344 speed dimple
Hold the air resistance in flight, to achieve the trajectory strong extend to far.

Srixon (asian specs)

Z545 10.5* Driver
Z F45 15* 3W
Z H45 19* 3 Hybrid
Z745 3-PW

Z745 AW@51* & SW@57*

Cleveland Classic HB 2 Black Pearl Putter
Bridgestone B330RXS

#83 JSunGolfPharmD

JSunGolfPharmD

• 231 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

View PostGeaux Gators, on 23 March 2017 - 05:14 AM, said:

Yes except its a different ball entirely.  But it fits in that spot.  Its a softer compression then the z star SL was 75 vs 80. And has spin skin.  Its more then just a mushy zstar, its a new ball altogether with a better core then what the SL ever offered, the SL felt dead on impact, this ball is a winner.  Playing on my home course with it shot my lowest round ever.  Ball does not fight through wind like the new ztars and does not bite as hard, but it drops hops and stops fast on approach.

#84 Geaux Gators

Geaux Gators

GEAUX GATORS

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:07 AM

no, i got that its different, i was speaking of its market spot.  I couldn't stand the SL..  It, to me, was awful.  

I think the Zstar is the best ball on the market.  I think the Qstar is a great ball... even with my 110 SS i would play it and have no reservations.  So i don't doubt that this is a winner.  When they first announced the AD333 Tour, I emailed Srixon about getting some stateside, and was told that the ball was designed for the European market and would not work in the US because of its topography.  I might even have the email.  It was laughable.  because of the way the ball bounces or something to that affect.  

My only qualm, is no Tour Yellow.. I for some reason like the tour yellow.
Ping Glide 2.0 48/52/56
Ping Tyne
Srixon Z-Star
Bushnell Tour X

#85 Shadrach

Shadrach

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96442
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

View PostJSunGolfPharmD, on 23 March 2017 - 09:59 PM, said:

...the SL felt dead on impact...

That was exactly my impression. I'm hoping for better things from the Q-Star Tour.

#86 JSunGolfPharmD

JSunGolfPharmD

• 231 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

View PostShadrach, on 24 March 2017 - 08:21 AM, said:

View PostJSunGolfPharmD, on 23 March 2017 - 09:59 PM, said:

...the SL felt dead on impact...

That was exactly my impression. I'm hoping for better things from the Q-Star Tour.

I've played both and the Q Star Tour is hands down a different animal. In a better way.

#87 JSunGolfPharmD

JSunGolfPharmD

• 231 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

View PostGeaux Gators, on 24 March 2017 - 05:07 AM, said:

no, i got that its different, i was speaking of its market spot.  I couldn't stand the SL..  It, to me, was awful.  

I think the Zstar is the best ball on the market.  I think the Qstar is a great ball... even with my 110 SS i would play it and have no reservations.  So i don't doubt that this is a winner.  When they first announced the AD333 Tour, I emailed Srixon about getting some stateside, and was told that the ball was designed for the European market and would not work in the US because of its topography.  I might even have the email.  It was laughable.  because of the way the ball bounces or something to that affect.  

My only qualm, is no Tour Yellow.. I for some reason like the tour yellow.

Im a yellow zstar guy myself, but I let go of yellow for cheap trial packs.  With your swing speed, you will run into some issues with the ball ballooning on you compared to the Z-star.

#88 ZeUS159

ZeUS159

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397284
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

I'm finding ball more important as I play more.  Think I'm going to stick to one ball this entire season.  I liked the old Z-star and tried a few of the trial packs of the new one and don't mind that its softer.  I think this new q-star will fit my budget and handicap, just not so much my swingspeed, but I don't mind playing a softer ball.  Last ball I consistently used was the new NXT S and that felt great!  

So questions for you guys.  Are you Srixon only?  And whats the big deal about 2 piece vs 3 piece?  I thought its just that the different layers react at different speeds (compressions) for the ball to respond better over a variety of shots.
Former Disc Golfer

#89 2010PGA

2010PGA

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:15 AM

View PostZeUS159, on 24 March 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

I'm finding ball more important as I play more.  Think I'm going to stick to one ball this entire season.  I liked the old Z-star and tried a few of the trial packs of the new one and don't mind that its softer.  I think this new q-star will fit my budget and handicap, just not so much my swingspeed, but I don't mind playing a softer ball.  Last ball I consistently used was the new NXT S and that felt great!  

So questions for you guys.  Are you Srixon only?  And whats the big deal about 2 piece vs 3 piece?  I thought its just that the different layers react at different speeds (compressions) for the ball to respond better over a variety of shots.

The other ball I play for the first few holes when I warming up is Snell My Tour Ball. That ball is legit.  I texted most of the big names golf balls and for me it was Srixon first, Snell second and Chrome Soft third.  Even picked up a couple dozen z star and xv practice balls from the memorial tournament via lost golf balls.  

#90 KaBoom21

KaBoom21

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13233
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

I went from the Z Star SL to the TM Probject A to (possibly) the Q Star Tour once I get a chance to try it. Love the Tour Yellow for rounds in the gloaming, but it's not a dealbreaker.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors