Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 10 votes

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

774 replies to this topic

#721 ShortGameJunkie

ShortGameJunkie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 496816
  • Handicap:8.4
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:35 PM

View PostNessism, on 04 April 2018 - 07:52 AM, said:

View PostShortGameJunkie, on 03 April 2018 - 10:28 PM, said:

I still think they are defective. For no one else including myself having this issue, I don't buy it. I've had mine for about a year which has included some time in a hot trunk.

Unless yours have been exposed to very humid weather for a long period of time, but still seems unlikely. Just surprised mizuno did not take care of this for you.

The paint is a design feature.  All HM's are like that and all will chip if allowed to bang into one another.  There is nothing Mizuno can "take care" of in regards to this and the clubs are not defective.  

As to why Mizuno choose to paint the back cavity I'm not sure.  I suspect it's because the chrome can't get into all the nooks and crannies inside the cavity so they felt that some extra corrosion protection is needed, thus the paint.

You could try carefully applying some paint stripper to the chipped areas to remove the rest of the paint, but be warned, if you get it on the plastic cavity badge it will melt the plastic.

I guess defective was the wrong word to use. I don't think there is anything wrong with them other than something must have went wrong during the painting/plating process for this to happen. Everyone's clubs receives bag chatter.

Driver: 2016 M2 10.5* Fukijura pro 60 S

3wood: Tour Edge Exotics EX9 15* Matrix Ozik Red Tie S

3 hybrid: Ping G 19* Alta 70 S

4i: Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal C-Taper Lite S

5-GW: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged C-Taper Lite S

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 55* & 60*

Putter: Cleveland TFI Elevado 33"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#722 bulls9999

bulls9999

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73827
  • Handicap:16.7
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

I went to our club's Demo Day last night and tried several 'thinner irons' and fell in love with how I was hitting (must have hit 50 balls and only 2 bad hits) with the Callaway Apex Pro forged, such a thin top line, I felt I could put it behind the ball each time and much less turf interaction than my JPX900 HM's.  Sorry to say, I'm going to put my HM's up for sale and use the proceeds towards the Apex Pro's.  Also, I hit them best in the XP-105/stiff irons as opposed to the XP-95's, and for kicks I had the fellow switch me out a graphite shaft....the highest weight he had was a 85-gm Recoil F4, and my hits with that shaft were 'soft like butter'.....but I didn't think they went as far as the steel.  I want to try them in the 95/110 version.  There is no stopping me now, it was like night and day hitting those Apex's.  They had the Rogue Pro, but the top line was fatter :-(

#723 ShortGameJunkie

ShortGameJunkie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

Yeah I think the rogue irons are pretty sad looking if I'm honest.

#724 cuprogolf

cuprogolf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114181
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:10 AM

I went the opposite way. I´ve  played the JPX 900 forged last saison with mediocre results especially in the long irons although I think I am not a bad iron player. Then a couple of weeks ago Í read  in a posting here that even low single hcpers play the HM with succes (thank you Golfwrx!). So without thinking any further or testing I bought a set at my golfshop. OK I took some risk with no testing but this was the best decision I ´ve ever made in golf up to now. Absolutely no more issues with the long Irons. I first had the intention to mix the sets, long irons HM, short irons forged. But I read so many positive reviews on the short irons that I bought the whole set (4-PW)  and I must say, that the short irons play fantastic. Same distance as the forged (they are imo not longer than the forged but slightly higher), but I ´ve found they are much straighter and they are very forgiving indeed.  I can't understand why some here claim that the forged are as forgiving as the HM. They aren't, at least not in the long irons. I am really impressed. I play the HM with the recoil (due to some shoulder issues) a fantastic shaft as well,  compared to my KBS tour. I would recommend everyone, as long as you are not a scratch player, to play the most forgiving clubs you can find. Why make (golf)-life difficult?
Callaway GBB Epic 10,5° - Aldila rogue Max 65.
Callaway GBB Epic  - FW 3 - 15° Hzrdus.
Callaway Big Bertha Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM KBS Recoil
Mizuno MP T5 - 50° - 54° - 58°
Putter Taylormade Spider tour
Chrome Soft

#725 JonnyKrasnodar

JonnyKrasnodar

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440224
GolfWRX Likes : 692

Posted 29 April 2018 - 01:40 PM

There's two factors that could be at play here. On one side, you have the egomaniacs who will say "forged" or "blades" REGARDLESS of how they perform. It's just in their make up and are generally the type of people who justify a short, horrible slice or toe as being a "true" shot.

The other side and vast majority of people perform differently and you need to remember that. You could give me anyway Callaway club (blade, cavity back, GI) and I would say I hit it terribly. Not because I did but mentally I can't go them at all. I've never enjoyed the feel or sound of their clubs. I hit the CF16's as well during testing (and a bit further) than the HM's. But I LOVE the HM's. I'll find anything to say they're better than similar clubs. The look. The sound. The feel. All very subjective. But I wanted the HM's.

Same thing applies here. Some people wanted the 900F's. They might not know it but they will be picking out small positives and in their mind, they are the better club.

Different strokes. No one can deny how good the 900 range was from Mizuno though. Even the hybrid is a cannon.

#726 Carl Spackler3

Carl Spackler3

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136528
GolfWRX Likes : 416

Posted 29 April 2018 - 02:45 PM

I flew home to NY to catch a few rounds with Dad, I leave a set of MP 57s there with a similar hybrid wood setup. Amazing how hard my old clubs were to hit compared to my hot metals. I think they’re an excellent product
Titleist 915 D2
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping G25 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
Vokey 52-08 sm4
Vokey 56-14 sm6
Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

#727 Bodles

Bodles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446674
  • Handicap:8.2
  • Ebay ID:NX963
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:11 AM

View Postjeffrey r, on 05 February 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

If looking for a true GI set coming from players' irons, 900 HM's are definitely worth a look. I think the HM's are great looking for a GI iron, and I've tried a ton of different sets over the past several seasons. Not too big to look too clunky, but big enough to inspire plenty of confidence.  I am giving both the MP-T5 and S5 wedges a run to pair with the HM's.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Love the look of that bag! I'll be getting my Hot Metals soon and also have the MP-T5 wedges, awesome
Ping G Project X Black 6.5
Callaway Great Big Big Bertha 3 wood Kuro Kage 50g R flex
Callaway Big Bertha 18 degree hybrid Recoil F4 Shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal Irons 4-PW Project X 5.5 115 gram
Mizuno MP-T5 50, 54, 60 degree Wedges
Rife IBF Aussie Tour Edition putter

#728 jeffrey r

jeffrey r

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83556
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:47 PM

View PostBodles, on 04 May 2018 - 07:11 AM, said:

Love the look of that bag! I'll be getting my Hot Metals soon and also have the MP-T5 wedges, awesome

Very funny (and a bit eery) that you quoted this post of mine today.  Funny, because while that bag did look great, in true WRX fashion, it did not last long, and I've probably played like 5+ sets of irons since that post a little over a year ago...   I actually got rid of like 5 irons sets just today.

Eery, in that I literally ordered another set of used 900 HM's today to give another go (this time with the better fit Modus Tour 105 S, instead of Modus Tour 105 R).

Ironically, after playing a bunch of those different iron sets last season and early this season, I recently put my G30 irons back in the bag, and it was sort of like coming home.  I always played well with the G30's, and did not take them out for any good reason.  So anyway, I am back with the G30's for now and feeling good, and will have some fun trying the 900 HM's again when they arrive, and will surely be a doofus and bounce around to other sets like usual instead of leaving well enough alone.
Ping G400 Max Driver 10.5*, Ping Tour 65 R
Callaway Big Bertha V 3 and 5 Woods, Bassara 52 S
Callaway Big Bertha OS 4 and 5 Hybrids, UST Mamiya Recoil ES 460 S
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal Irons 6-PW, Nippon Modus Tour 105 S
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged GW, Nippon Modus Tour 105 S
Cleveland CBX 54* and 58* Wedges, DG 115 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Circle T Concept 2.5 Putter 34"

#729 Bodles

Bodles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:37 AM

View Postjeffrey r, on 04 May 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

View PostBodles, on 04 May 2018 - 07:11 AM, said:

Very funny (and a bit eery) that you quoted this post of mine today.  Funny, because while that bag did look great, in true WRX fashion, it did not last long, and I've probably played like 5+ sets of irons since that post a little over a year ago...   I actually got rid of like 5 irons sets just today.

Eery, in that I literally ordered another set of used 900 HM's today to give another go (this time with the better fit Modus Tour 105 S, instead of Modus Tour 105 R).

Ironically, after playing a bunch of those different iron sets last season and early this season, I recently put my G30 irons back in the bag, and it was sort of like coming home.  I always played well with the G30's, and did not take them out for any good reason.  So anyway, I am back with the G30's for now and feeling good, and will have some fun trying the 900 HM's again when they arrive, and will surely be a doofus and bounce around to other sets like usual instead of leaving well enough alone.
That is kinda strange :) Hope you enjoy the Hot Metals 2nd time around, and or whatever you slip into the bag, good golfing :)

#730 Bodles

Bodles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:36 AM

View PostShortGameJunkie, on 26 March 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

As for the sand and lob wedge, I think most folks go with specialty wedges for those, aka RTX 3, vokey etc. If set happens to have a good sand and lob in the set I would just see that as a plus, but never something I expect.
I think you're 100% correct, I used to play MP-59's, which I loved, but never liked the PW, SW so that's when I first went to specialty wedges and have ever since, which by the way are MP-T5's :)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#731 sphna12d

sphna12d

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 303729
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

Yesterday I had one of those “hot spot” moments where I had accounted for a certain yardage with my 6 iron. I even had to factor in extra yardage because I needed to turn it over around some trees. Well the shot came of exactly as I wanted it to. My playing partner had pulled his approach way to the left into the trees. We came to the green and saw a ball 10 feet to the left of the hole that we both assumed was my shot. We tried looking through the trees but didn’t see his ball. He dropped and played another ball to the green. Sure enough, we came to the green and the ball 10 feet away was his first ball. I found my ball some 30 feet past the green ( I probably landed on the downslope beyond the green) on a bare patch of dried out earth. So now I had to try and play a ball through the rough on a bare hard lie to a downhill fast green. All that from a pured second shot. That moment has me seriously considering putting my old Snake Eyes back in the bag for today’s round to see how much different the distance control really is with them. I will most certainly give up some yardage but at this point I would gladly give that up to not have that pured flyer put me in an impossible spot again on a good shot.

#732 JonnyKrasnodar

JonnyKrasnodar

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:04 PM

View PostBodles, on 06 May 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

View PostShortGameJunkie, on 26 March 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

As for the sand and lob wedge, I think most folks go with specialty wedges for those, aka RTX 3, vokey etc. If set happens to have a good sand and lob in the set I would just see that as a plus, but never something I expect.
I think you're 100% correct, I used to play MP-59's, which I loved, but never liked the PW, SW so that's when I first went to specialty wedges and have ever since, which by the way are MP-T5's :)

I've stuck with the set PW, SW and GW this time round believe it or not. I have some S18's on order though in 54 & 59 after testing them this weekend at our practice facility.

I find the set PW,SW & LW to be very workable and reliable, regardless of shot or lie. I tend to find with speciality wedges, particularly on full shots, that they don't quite go as well on full shots. There are a few holes where around 100-110 out requires you to carry trouble and stop really quickly. I use the PW & GW on these because they hit the numbers required and tend to stop dead because of the high flight.

With other traditional wedges I find it harder to consistently hit those numbers and avoid trouble. I always feel in the back of my mind that I'm going to have to nail them but that tends to send them into orbit and not far enough.

Has anyone else tried the S18 wedges out of interest? Felt great (as do the HM's) and I was able to step on them without any concern.

My pro got me a couple of them to try on course tomorrow so I can supplement my previous practice with feedback on different lies, distances etc...can't wait!

#733 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 8266

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:12 PM

View Postsphna12d, on 06 May 2018 - 10:32 AM, said:

Yesterday I had one of those "hot spot" moments where I had accounted for a certain yardage with my 6 iron. I even had to factor in extra yardage because I needed to turn it over around some trees. Well the shot came of exactly as I wanted it to. My playing partner had pulled his approach way to the left into the trees. We came to the green and saw a ball 10 feet to the left of the hole that we both assumed was my shot. We tried looking through the trees but didn't see his ball. He dropped and played another ball to the green. Sure enough, we came to the green and the ball 10 feet away was his first ball. I found my ball some 30 feet past the green ( I probably landed on the downslope beyond the green) on a bare patch of dried out earth. So now I had to try and play a ball through the rough on a bare hard lie to a downhill fast green. All that from a pured second shot. That moment has me seriously considering putting my old Snake Eyes back in the bag for today's round to see how much different the distance control really is with them. I will most certainly give up some yardage but at this point I would gladly give that up to not have that pured flyer put me in an impossible spot again on a good shot.

When you close down the face at impact to hit a hook that reduces the loft.  That's why the longest shots are typically long left for RH golfers.

Early in my HM career I was concerned with the odd long distance shot but after playing them for a year, about 100 rounds, I've found that to be the least of my troubles.
Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & E8 hybrid
Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

#734 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • 17,380 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:15 PM

View PostCarl Spackler3, on 29 April 2018 - 02:45 PM, said:

I flew home to NY to catch a few rounds with Dad, I leave a set of MP 57s there with a similar hybrid wood setup. Amazing how hard my old clubs were to hit compared to my hot metals. I think they’re an excellent product

Hey, don't go and start a blade vs. HM debate here!;)  We got threads for that at GolfWRX and they almost never end well!

#735 Snowman9000

Snowman9000

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107588
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 239

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

View PostNessism, on 06 May 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

Early in my HM career I was concerned with the odd long distance shot but after playing them for a year, about 100 rounds, I've found that to be the least of my troubles.

So do you feel that the odd flier is more than offset by other attributes?

#736 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • 17,380 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:32 PM

View PostSnowman9000, on 06 May 2018 - 06:16 PM, said:

View PostNessism, on 06 May 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

So do you feel that the odd flier is more than offset by other attributes?

Definitely.  And shots I previously thought were fliers were more my fault with the strike.

#737 jeffrey r

jeffrey r

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83556
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:34 AM

Quick update from my note above, about picking up another set of Hot Metals, this time with Modus 105 S (previous set was originally Modus 105 R, and then re-shafted with XP 105 S300 after a fitting).  Played a round yesterday morning, a little cold and rainy, no range time.  Threw the Hot Metals into the bag, and it was a great round.  I remembered why I really enjoyed the Hot Metals the first time around, before things kind of soured.

Anyway, the Modus 105 S were terrific (the Mizuno optimizer had actually fit me for the X flex a year ago, but the S are obviously a bit easier to load).  The heads were great.  The dang GW still didn’t quite work for me though—dug with it the first time around last year, and dug with it yesterday.  My CBX wedges are a good blend with the Hot Metals.  So I am going to give the Hot Metals another run.  Feeling good about them again, and they were a pleasure to hit yesterday.
Ping G400 Max Driver 10.5*, Ping Tour 65 R
Callaway Big Bertha V 3 and 5 Woods, Bassara 52 S
Callaway Big Bertha OS 4 and 5 Hybrids, UST Mamiya Recoil ES 460 S
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal Irons 6-PW, Nippon Modus Tour 105 S
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged GW, Nippon Modus Tour 105 S
Cleveland CBX 54* and 58* Wedges, DG 115 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Circle T Concept 2.5 Putter 34"

#738 propman

propman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183580
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 291

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:01 AM

Has anyone  experienced this with the Mizuno optimizer - where it recommends too stiff of a shaft.  Couple of years ago, It recommended px rifle 5.5. for me.  Felt like rebar to me.  5.0 was enough for me.
15 hcp

#739 hardten

hardten

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2760
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:02 AM

View Postcuprogolf, on 29 April 2018 - 05:10 AM, said:

I went the opposite way. I´ve  played the JPX 900 forged last saison with mediocre results especially in the long irons although I think I am not a bad iron player. Then a couple of weeks ago Í read  in a posting here that even low single hcpers play the HM with succes (thank you Golfwrx!). So without thinking any further or testing I bought a set at my golfshop. OK I took some risk with no testing but this was the best decision I ´ve ever made in golf up to now. Absolutely no more issues with the long Irons. I first had the intention to mix the sets, long irons HM, short irons forged. But I read so many positive reviews on the short irons that I bought the whole set (4-PW)  and I must say, that the short irons play fantastic. Same distance as the forged (they are imo not longer than the forged but slightly higher), but I ´ve found they are much straighter and they are very forgiving indeed.  I can't understand why some here claim that the forged are as forgiving as the HM. They aren't, at least not in the long irons. I am really impressed. I play the HM with the recoil (due to some shoulder issues) a fantastic shaft as well,  compared to my KBS tour. I would recommend everyone, as long as you are not a scratch player, to play the most forgiving clubs you can find. Why make (golf)-life difficult?

as they say in the Liberty Mutual commercial   " SMART"

#740 Snowman9000

Snowman9000

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107588
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 239

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

View Postpropman, on 13 May 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

Has anyone  experienced this with the Mizuno optimizer - where it recommends too stiff of a shaft.  Couple of years ago, It recommended px rifle 5.5. for me.  Felt like rebar to me.  5.0 was enough for me.

Yes, and from what I've read from Dave Mac here, that is the tendency.  Too stiff and possibly heavy too.  They seem to be of the camp that feels that it will tighten your iron game.  Which might be true, if it doesn't distort your swing.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#741 BlkNGld

BlkNGld

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7518
GolfWRX Likes : 398

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

propman, on 13 May 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

I would say that it does seem to tend to the firmer side of things, and I've heard two other PGA fitters share the same observation.

Whenever I find a shaft I like I ask myself if I'd like it just as much on the 15th hole as I do right now.

#742 BigDave54

BigDave54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481236
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:06 PM

scratch72, on 12 September 2016 - 04:55 PM, said:

Can anyone give a review on these? I've seen demo 6irons and they are the best looking GI irons I've ever seen. Low off set, compact head the finish is beautiful and stock Modus 105 shaft. I know they don't release until 15 or 16th but usually somebody gets their hands on a set early.
I bought a set (4 - AW) and love them. Had TM M2's but they made a big crack sound when hitting the 5 or 6 irons. But the Muzino Hot Metals are great sounding and feel very solid when striking the ball. Just have to remember that the shorter irons are 2 - 3 deg. higher in loft compared to the M2's. I have KBS Tour shafts in ® flex.

#743 rfarrell51

rfarrell51

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29533
  • Ebay ID:rfarrell51
GolfWRX Likes : 1350

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

I’ve got these in the 4&5 with the 900 forged 6-PW. After playing a few rounds with these, I’m really thinking of selling the forged and completing the set with the Hot Metal.
Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM Aeroburner 16.5 Whiteboard
TM Aeroburner 19 Whiteboard
TM R15 21 Whiteboard
Nike Pro Combo DG Pro S300
Mizuno MP5 51 MPT 11 56
Bettinardi BB40
Nike Tour Platinum

#744 pistol4444

pistol4444

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146083
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:29 PM

i did the same. very satisfied

#745 rfarrell51

rfarrell51

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29533
  • Ebay ID:rfarrell51
GolfWRX Likes : 1350

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:15 PM

Anyone play the PX Lz Tour graphite shafts in these. Just curious if they are similar to the blue PX Shafts of the past.

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM Aeroburner 16.5 Whiteboard
TM Aeroburner 19 Whiteboard
TM R15 21 Whiteboard
Nike Pro Combo DG Pro S300
Mizuno MP5 51 MPT 11 56
Bettinardi BB40
Nike Tour Platinum

#746 ShortGameJunkie

ShortGameJunkie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

rfarrell51, on 16 May 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

I’ve got these in the 4&5 with the 900 forged 6-PW. After playing a few rounds with these, I’m really thinking of selling the forged and completing the set with the Hot Metal.

The 4i is a rocket. Really wish they made at least a 3i.

#747 Tag42

Tag42

Rookie

• Spam
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 501802
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

rfarrell51, on 16 May 2018 - 11:15 PM, said:

Anyone play the PX Lz Tour graphite shafts in these. Just curious if they are similar to the blue PX Shafts of the past.

I've got about 3 rounds and a few range sessions on mine.  I've been dabbling in graphite over the past year and a half and everything was coming in the 65-75 gm range and just didn't do it for me.  These feel smooth to me, better than any sub-100 gram steel shaft I've tried.  I am launching them really high right now- but don't seem to be losing distance because of it and they aren't spinning like crazy or anything.
Callaway Rogue 10.5* KK TiNi 50
Callaway Rogue 15* KK TiNi 50
Callaway Rogue 19*, 24*, 27* Hybrids Aldila Synergy 60
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 7-PW, GW, SW Project X LZ Tour 90
Toulon Portland H4

#748 GolfGuitarsCars

GolfGuitarsCars

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401376
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

Received my custom built 900 HM's today (5-GW).  Ordered on Monday, at my door on Thursday.  At address they sure remind me of my old MX-23's.  Loved those irons.  Was not expecting these to be more compact than my orange/black JPX forged.  Can't wait to give them a go.

Edited by GolfGuitarsCars, 17 May 2018 - 03:42 PM.

PING G30 LS Tec 12* (Set to +.5)
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 18*
Taylormade Rescue Dual 19*
Taylormade Rescue Mid 22*
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 5-GW
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0  54*/58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach or Newport Teryllium
2016 PING Hoofer

#749 Bodles

Bodles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:43 AM

jeffrey r, on 13 May 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

Quick update from my note above, about picking up another set of Hot Metals, this time with Modus 105 S (previous set was originally Modus 105 R, and then re-shafted with XP 105 S300 after a fitting).  Played a round yesterday morning, a little cold and rainy, no range time.  Threw the Hot Metals into the bag, and it was a great round.  I remembered why I really enjoyed the Hot Metals the first time around, before things kind of soured.

Anyway, the Modus 105 S were terrific (the Mizuno optimizer had actually fit me for the X flex a year ago, but the S are obviously a bit easier to load).  The heads were great.  The dang GW still didn’t quite work for me though—dug with it the first time around last year, and dug with it yesterday.  My CBX wedges are a good blend with the Hot Metals.  So I am going to give the Hot Metals another run.  Feeling good about them again, and they were a pleasure to hit yesterday.
Hey I'm quoting you again...LOL...And really just because I had my first proper round with my Hot Metals today, I've had them just over a week but only been able to get to the range and a few days ago when we played the course was long and wind was big so was pretty much hitting hybrid and 3 wood into every hole.
But today was nice, not to blowy, did some work on the range yesterday trying to work on a new move and focused on that today, wow these irons feel so good, not on mis hits though LOL but a decent swing and the contact is so pure, they really do feel soft IMHO, ball flies off the face, no trouble stopping them, but that's never been my issue, I will agree the shorter irons can dig a little bit which is a new experience for me but not one I think I'll complain about, I only went down to PW as I carry 3 MP-T5 wedges already.
I will say I am very happy I got fitted with the Mizuno swing DNA and that my pro knew what he was doing, we didn't find the shaft until we were on the 10th one, after finding the head, the shaft turned out to be Project X 5.5 115gram, which actually wasn't in to top 3 recommendations, and a 1/2 inch longer than Mizuno standard, I pull an iron and I'm feeling confident and comfortable, as long as I swing right of course :)
Cheers and happy golfing.

#750 JonnyKrasnodar

JonnyKrasnodar

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:04 AM

Enjoy. Love my set, easily the best gaming set I've played. It came down to these and the SC18 but I was much more consistent with the HM's. Bit  longer, bit higher ball flight but not as much short/long dispersion.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors