Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Spine Flexion at P4 (Top) question

Spine Flexion Dana Dahlquist

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Galanga

Galanga

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1082
  • Handicap:4-6
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:09 PM

This is way out of my pay grade, but, I am curious nonetheless.

When I get to P4 (top), I have left lateral bend (LLB) and some spine extension.  My sternum is inboard of the inside of my right foot - somewhat stacked with slight tilt to right (say with 7 iron).  I see some good swings and their sternum seems more over the inside of the right foot (right handed) at P4.  I am not necessarily looking to change, but, I am curious what is "proper" or preferred.

I am trying to incorporate a back swing pattern that Dana Dahlquist suggests - seems simple and effective.  I was looking through Dana's YouTube videos and came across this: https://www.youtube....?v=KAbsNbKYzOk

Not only does it show the back swing pattern I am seeking pretty well, and a downswing pattern similar to GG, the UCLA player, Phil Delisi just smokes some 7 irons - fun to watch.

In the above video, when the player gets to P4, you can hear Dana say something akin to "hips a little more forward, and a little more flexion at the top - just a little bit", and, you can watch how the player adjusts himself (his hips shift a little towards the target and he seems to increase spine flexion). I have never considered spine flexion at P4.

I do not have an opinion, but, am curious to hear expert's thoughts on this topic.

WITB evolves

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Galanga

Galanga

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:21 PM

Because this stuff is obviously fascinating :taunt: , I found another vid where Dana gives a bit more info on flexion and side bend during the back swing.

About 1:35 here:  https://www.youtube....h?v=Hery_pIP_Hc
WITB evolves

#3 starsail85

starsail85

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2663
GolfWRX Likes : 995

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:24 AM

I guess the less extension you have in the backswing the less you need to move to get back into flexion . i am working on clearing the left hip whilst contracting the stomach muscles to move into flexion in transition .  Good bye under plane
Titleist 915 D4 9.25 / axivcore green 69x
Titleist 915 Fd 15/ Ei70 x
Mizuno MP18 2FH Project x 6.0
Mizuno MP4 yoro 3-Pw/project x 6.0
Vokey V 54 60 OC
Scotty Cameron JAT

Ball - Tour B XS
Grips - Tv cord

Lofts 17.5 21 25 29 33 37 41 45 49 54 60

#4 Golfbeat

Golfbeat

Swing Lessee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251408
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 779

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:37 AM

Very interesting topic. The question that I would have is whether the (extra) extension at the top of the back swing is needed to create extra power. Otherwise you would indeed think that that extra extension will only complicate matters in getting back into posture in the down swing.
Attention-Deficit Hypergolfactivity Disorder

#5 starsail85

starsail85

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2663
GolfWRX Likes : 995

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:52 AM

View PostGolfbeat, on 12 September 2016 - 12:37 AM, said:

Very interesting topic. The question that I would have is whether the (extra) extension at the top of the back swing is needed to create extra power. Otherwise you would indeed think that that extra extension will only complicate matters in getting back into posture in the down swing.

IMO

By not extending in backswing your head will move to the right , which would require a reverse movement in backswing during rotation .

Think of the effect that going from extension to flexion will have on the arms , it will almost throw them off the chest, without effort .

Definitely a power source. Just like a sledgehammer swing

Titleist 915 D4 9.25 / axivcore green 69x
Titleist 915 Fd 15/ Ei70 x
Mizuno MP18 2FH Project x 6.0
Mizuno MP4 yoro 3-Pw/project x 6.0
Vokey V 54 60 OC
Scotty Cameron JAT

Ball - Tour B XS
Grips - Tv cord

Lofts 17.5 21 25 29 33 37 41 45 49 54 60

#6 Galanga

Galanga

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:49 AM

I guess you could think of Monte's Zipper Away move as regaining flexion from the extended position at P4.  Hadn't thought of it that way before.  Makes sense.
WITB evolves

#7 Galanga

Galanga

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:37 AM

I haven't thought about flexion at all in my swing - focused more on flexion and tilt in setup and left and right lateral bend and some extension at P4.  As a drill, I tried to stay in flexion throughout the swing which is ridiculous but interesting. Found it fair easier to rotate, was more rotated at P3, easier to get depth and width, and it was far easier to get shaft vert in backswing at P3.  May be just my long term misunderstanding.
WITB evolves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors