Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Self Propelled Golf Carts

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rony

rony

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14128
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:16 AM

The hand-pulled cart ("pullcart") offers a golfer the ability to walk a round of golf while avoiding the uncomfortable consequences of carrying a golf bag. Unfortunately, while being generally less strenuous than carrying clubs, pulling a golf cart can also be demanding and put a strain on the golfer's back, in particular, especially when playing courses having hilly terrain.  Does anybody know of a good quality, reliable, and at the same time, affordable self propelled cart that is currently available?  I currently use a Sun Mountain Speed Cart, but I must admit that when playing a hilly course, it starts to put quite a strain on my back.  I love to walk, but my game will suffer when my back starts to get sore. :yes:

Everything in Moderation
Keep it Simple
Less is Best
13 G10 Pings With a Redwood Zing

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 noputt

noputt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21941
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

Check this out -- http://store.valuewe...2/Sporty/Detail

I do not have experience with this, but it looks good.

#3 Funkey

Funkey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40781
  • Ebay ID:megolfen2
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:33 PM

I use a Sun Mountain speed cart that I push.  I have read that it is better to push a cart than to pull it.  Better for your back.

#4 wkuo3

wkuo3

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:54 AM

SunMountain also makes motorized push cart for around $300-$400.

#5 Shemp

Shemp

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49154
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

My home course is a bear to walk.  The front nine isn't bad, but from the 9th green to the 10th tee is close to a half mile, all uphill with an elevation change of at least 75 feet and the entire backside is serious up and downhill.

I can do it at age 55, but it's getting harder and on a hot day I'm really hitting the wall as I hit 17 and 18.

Well, I just bought a RoboKaddy by Powakaddy.  It gets its first workout tomorrow.  I tested it in my yard this morning (a big hill runs up my 200 yard driveway) and it seems to work alright.  It wasn't cheap, but I'm cautiously optimistic that it will prolong my days of walking 18 holes on my home course by at least a decade.

Edited by Shemp, 21 April 2008 - 06:52 AM.

#6 snuffy

snuffy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11343

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

Attached File  DSC_0125__Medium_.JPG   54.64K   70 downloads
Attached File  DSC_0113__Medium_.JPG   106.97K   60 downloads
I have been working on trying to post pic's. My own issues with image manipulation.

Just did one on backyard greens.

Now for another try addressing a power cart showing a different view, different day/yr. But if this works it will show my latest toy. Speed e cart. The very best thing I have done for my knees in years. I love to walk, but have had issues with knees. Takeing @30+pounds off my back has realy helped. The bag is a Ogio vision. Which has a lock clipping sling that is very easy to remove and helps expose the compartments. It a match made for one another.
Now if I could only get more folks to walk along. So many are... buzz/beer instead of beer/buzz.
OH Well.

#7 golfbuddy

golfbuddy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6393

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:49 PM

I have been using a Hilly Billy power trolly for about 4 years and love it.  I get to walk along side of it and carry extra bottles of water and snacks.  It really save my back and I have more energy toward the end of the round.

#8 Crayaco

Crayaco

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34832
  • Ebay ID:bamacol

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

I have just purchased a used Sun Mountain Speed E cart and played 18 with it today.  Boy this thing is the Bee's Knees.  

Easy to use and easy to push even with the electrics turned off.  I use a Sun Mountain MPB bag and it moves along very good.

Sun Mountain is coming out with a newer cart and they have turned repairs and parts over to J-Tech.

#9 RWK

RWK

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42496
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:53 AM

Go for a Powacaddy, well made and importantly- good after sales service.

#10 Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25683

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:27 PM

To those of you using the Sun Mountain Speed e-Cart. I play on a hilly course and was thinking of getting one of these, but my pro advised against it, saying the front weel was so heavy that on steep hills the cart would topple over. Is that true? Or is he not happy with his margin on it?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 bogiesux

bogiesux

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67054

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:46 PM

View Postrony, on Jan 27 2008, 10:16 AM, said:

The hand-pulled cart ("pullcart") offers a golfer the ability to walk a round of golf while avoiding the uncomfortable consequences of carrying a golf bag. Unfortunately, while being generally less strenuous than carrying clubs, pulling a golf cart can also be demanding and put a strain on the golfer's back, in particular, especially when playing courses having hilly terrain.  Does anybody know of a good quality, reliable, and at the same time, affordable self propelled cart that is currently available?  I currently use a Sun Mountain Speed Cart, but I must admit that when playing a hilly course, it starts to put quite a strain on my back.  I love to walk, but my game will suffer when my back starts to get sore. :rolleyes:

I had a SunMountain "Push" 3-wheel cart - I purchased a used Lectronic Kaddy, with remote control.
It's got the rear wheel, called the "hill tamer" so no fear of it tipping over.  I've had some adventures with mine - some people tell me I shouldn't drive it without training wheels.  :man_in_love:

If you want to take a walk in the park, this is great.

http://www.kaddy.com/

They are pretty expensive new, but I found mine on Kijiji - not sure if you're familiar with that - it's similar to Craig's list.

Having said that, in the early/late season when the heat/humidity isn't blistering, I try to carry when I can.

Bogiesux

#12 youraway2

youraway2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25945
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:youraway
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:30 PM

Me've used a Hill Billy powered cart for many years. My wife used hers for 10+ years and recently I decided to get her a new one. We just purchased the 2009 Terrain Hill Billy and couldn't be more pleased. It's powerful and easly fits in the trunk. Can't go wrong with this one!

#13 indruf

indruf

indruf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5476
  • Handicap:8.5

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

I have used a Hillcrest Kangaroo and Powacaddy over the years.  My most recent purchase was a Bag Boy Navigatory (1st generation) remote controlled model.  I found it to be a pain as I found myself consistently in the way of my playing partners while trying to operate it.  Its on eBay and I am going to push a Clic Gear 2.0 this season.

#14 warbirdlover

warbirdlover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17290

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

Funniest thing (almost) I ever saw was a guy chasing his motorized cart down the fairway.  The battery went dead in his hand control and he couldn't stop it...

#15 Crayaco

Crayaco

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

Just as a little follow up on the Sun Mountain E cart.

I have had to replace the mainboard, the control panel, and the wiring harness on mine.
I am waiting fro the new battery to come any day.

When the cart works it is great.  But I have had a lot of problems with mine.

BTW, J-Tech who now services these has been great.  All my repairs have been
under warranty so no cost to me.

#16 youraway2

youraway2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25945
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:youraway
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

Wife has used the Hill Billy 2009 Terrain cart now for a few weeks - still believe this model is the best powered cart out there! I'm thinking about steping up from my old one to the new model.

#17 Tim Schoch

Tim Schoch

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49536

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:25 AM

http://www.segwaybyt...mp;product_id=1

This might draw some attention.

#18 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

I know that this isn't really a direct response to your question and it might not even be possible for you but I have recently reduced the number of clubs that I have in my practice bag and have started to carry again. I am in my late 50's, have a plastic knee, and neuropathy in both feet and ankles. But I have found that the weight is really not an issue and the reduced number of clubs doesn't seem to effect my score all that much. I have even carried a full bag a few times recently. I find that I actually walk less because I don't have to maneuver my SpeedCart around stuff that I can now walk through.

Besides is something really liberating about carrying again. It makes me feel like a kid again.

Good Luck.

#19 Crayaco

Crayaco

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

The new battery arrived and I have used it for 2 nine hole rounds and
it works great again.

Really like not having to PUSH!

#20 mikec222

mikec222

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64084

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:37 PM

If those segways work well and aren't high maintenence They will hopefully replace golf cars in the next decade

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors