Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Help! I've got the driver yips

42 replies to this topic

#31 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
GolfWRX Likes : 3040

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:28 PM

There’s some discussion by Jim w on the Pepsi duck thread about tips just posted this pm

Callaway Epic 10.5 TPT LKP 45.5"
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Callway xhot 3h, 4h
Callaway Apex MB Pro Raw, KBS Tour V
Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54
Cameron Futura 5W

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 TerpFangolfer

TerpFangolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292881
  • Handicap:6.2
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:15 PM

View PostObee, on 06 March 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

Driver yips take enjoyment out of the game for many people. My son quit for years because of them. He was a D1/D2 level golfer, too. Hey are similar in many ways to putting and chipping yips, but not exactly the same.

My son has gotten (mostly) over them by switching to 3-wood ONLY off the tee, and never teed up. More later....

This is exactly me...and just recently. I know my basic problem - due to injury my practice has been way down (i.e. non-existent)...but I had already signed up for several tournaments that I still wanted to play.

So I was just "hoping" (more like praying) - I could go out and keep a ball in play and at least shoot a respectable score...instead I've shot 4 straight tourney rounds in the 90s. And almost all caused by the tee shots - 4 to 6 out play (OB or hazard) per round and many others in the trees/way short (snap hooks). So I tried to go down to a 3 wood off the tee and also hit off the deck - but I hit did the same, culminating when I went and hit nothing but a hybrid off the deck for 9 holes...and still hit 1 OB.

I would still hit 1 or 2 "stripers" each 9...just to remind myself that I do know how to play this game - and my irons were generally ok...but my nerves on the tee are off the chart - esp on any hole that doesn't "fit my eye"
Unbelievable...and my putting has been great (if not I might have ventured into the triple digits!). Yesterday I made 2 great up & downs...one for an 8 on a par 5, and one for a 7 on par 4...ugh

Again, obviously it all mental - I put my self in basically the 1st real pressure situations in years ( I hadn't been playing any tournament golf)...with no practice foundation to fall back on
Well those tournaments were signed up & paid for - at least I got to play some good course (these are the GC "Major" events). I was DFL by 12 shots in my flight over 36 holes this weekend :stink:

I'm going to go see a pro...and play only "fun" golf with my buddies for awhile...and practice alot, then try to slowly ease back into some competition.
I know I am also putting too much emphasis on trying to get my game ready for when I turn 55...40+ years playing this game. I still love it & the competition...but gotta get back to where I was.

Nerves is one thing, having a mini-anxiety/panic attack is quite another

Just typing this has helped me I think...good luck to everyone else out there in the same boat!
TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4  54-8  & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

#33 TheKrushh

TheKrushh

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266524
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:16 PM

I'm dealing with some of this as well. Only on my home course and only on a few tee shots. For me it started last year trying to play through a torn labrum. It only bothered me at the top of the backswing with only the big swings. When I'd feel it catch, my body would bail out and hit either a low rope hook or a huge push slice. I hit the ball hard so these are almost always out of play. Fast forward through some tournaments and this has turned in to a weird anxiety on certain tee boxes. The injury is better but it's like my brain still thinks it's going to happen. I feel comfortable enough standing over the ball and when I start taking the club back, everything feels like it blacks out. Really frustrating and super disappointing.

I've got a couple ideas on addressing it but nothing has worked super well so far. Good luck to all and let me know if anyone has suggestions.
Ping G400Max 10.5 ADGP 7X
Taylormade R15 17 Speeder 7X
Srixon U85 3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

#34 TerpFangolfer

TerpFangolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292881
  • Handicap:6.2
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

Wow, I had a partial labrum tear - back in '09. Actually, I probably hurt it ~18 months before...at first I only had pain when I did overhead activites - reaching up, etc.
So no throwing balls, no tennis (serves) for example, but I was ok for golf...but it got worse and worse - culminating in a day where I was committed to playing with some buddies - and I played 18 holes swinging 1 armed! I could not make a full-swing extension.

Went and got surgery 3 weeks later - it was 9 months recovery, but I have been 100% pain-free since.
The doc had said we could try to heal with PT, but I am so glad I did the surgery. It cost me 1 summer golf season - but for going on 9 years pain-free it was totally worth it!
TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4  54-8  & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

#35 ShutSteepStuck

ShutSteepStuck

Grinding like Briny Baird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182556
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 473

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:27 PM

Wow! A week makes all the difference.

Looks like a poor mechanical flaw was the primary cause of my driver yips...obviously there were also some pretty savage mental and emotional factors that contributed to things coming to a head last weekend.

Went to the range Monday with 3 drivers LOL. Had a nice warm up and was hitting it pretty decently until I started hitting driver. With driver it was still way out on the toe and the body and arms had never felt more out of sync.

I tried to calm down and was so desperate I downloaded hudl and decided to film some dtl driver swings. Immediately noticed I was really taking the club back outside the target line and way outside the hands leading to a super late hip turn, etc...was also setting the wrists a bit too early as well. Worked on lessening those things incrementally and started hitting it tons better immediately.

Played Tues and also this morning and hitting the driver pretty good. Not a single yip over my last 36 or at the range since Monday. I still understand how people can quit golf...pretty scary to think that only a week ago I had absolutely zero confidence and no clue where the ball was going with the driver.

g400max 9*- rogue 125 60tx
g30 14.5* - ping tour 80x
vrPro ltd. 19* - diamana s 83x
4-gw ap1 712 - s300's
mp-t10 56.10 - s300
tvd 60m - ti s400
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

#36 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
GolfWRX Likes : 3040

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:15 AM

I had some putter yips a few yrs ago.  Freaked me out.  Then I changed putters and ... poof ... it was gone and never returned.  The balance/weight was just off.

Golf is weird. Golf is hard.  We're weird, too.  

Glad you got this resolved.
Callaway Epic 10.5 TPT LKP 45.5"
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Callway xhot 3h, 4h
Callaway Apex MB Pro Raw, KBS Tour V
Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54
Cameron Futura 5W

#37 A.Princey

A.Princey

Major Hacker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 396630
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 786

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:06 AM

View PostShutSteepStuck, on 14 April 2018 - 06:33 PM, said:

Have had the driver tips for about 3 weeks now...also had them for a few rds. a little over a year ago.

Not only yippy but a few times a rd I hit really skanky tee shots low on the face way out on the toe...toe shanking the ball maybe 3-4x a rd...the last 3x out. I mean like half the ball making contact with the face..

Pretty crazy that I have absolutely no clue where the the ball is going, no clue.

Won a gross tourney at my club shooting 1 over at (72.9) just a few months ago and most my rds have been around a handful or less over par this year up until these yips showed up. Today I shot 47-47 today in my club’s football qualifier—and that was generous b/c I picked up a handful of times and took my ESC.

Played 3x this week and after yipping it around the front shot around even and hit decent tee shots the last few hours of each rd. Today I was an absolute mess both sides. I even spent about 30 mins yesterday at the range full PSR and only yipped a handful...

Today...yipped about 6/12 before the rd and probably looked like a ghost on the first tee...the huge boundary fence kept my tee shot on #1 from going OB and also my provisional from going out on #2...

I did my best with my PSR and tried to focus and commit but there is definitely something majorly mental going on (mechanical too).

Would be quitting for a few weeks were it not for a damn golfnow hotdeal I made last week for Rustic Canyon on Tues. Really not even wanting to go out there...I’ve never understood how people could quit the game until now.

Just posting to have this thing record. What a nightmare!!!

I play around with my club weights, lengths, swingweights etc., and I recently took a driver with a new configuration to the range. Boy, it was embarrassing as I was just earlier striping my irons and even 3w off the deck at said range.

First shot was a top of sorts, next was a 5ft apex line drive pull-hook, and the third was a heel shot that missed the face almost entirely, went left and hit a post, ricocheting back across the people on the range. I didn't know what to do except put the driver back in the bag and hit other clubs. I felt like Tin Cup out there, but the club was never swingweighted after cutting down to 43" and is a R-flex Bi-matrix. Old shaft might just be going back in!!!!

Long story short, change up some club weighting maybe to get your rhythm changing a bit. My swings that day "felt" fine into the ball but the results were horrid. The contact was awful too, but nothing in the backswing or downswing seemed to stand out as being really off until contact. This is the same head I was just hitting really well the previous 3 range sessions, on a different shaft and with a heavier weight combo.

Edited by A.Princey, 23 April 2018 - 03:07 AM.

Ping G 10.5*, Fuji Pro 63-R 42.75"
'16 M1 3w HL 17*, Xcon 7-S(untipped) 41"
Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
Byron Morgan 615SS 32.5"(or any of 10 other putters...)

#38 JMG_02

JMG_02

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30463
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

Even reading this thread gives me anxiety.  I was this close to quitting the game altogether a few years ago.  I've detailed it on threads here and there.

Long story short, the driver yips are just cruel.  Completely separating golf from "real life", it is miserable.  On a grand scheme of things (job, health, family, etc.) its obviously insignificant.  However, for a golf fan, it's just horrid.

I couldn't even complete 18 holes.  I would go on golf trips with a group of guys, and my yips were a topic of conversation, mostly while i was away.  "How's he doing?  How's he hitting them?  Man that sucks, feel so sorry for him."

Anyway, through some instruction and a few major breakthroughs I was able to come out the other side.  

From a mechanical standpoint, my issue was getting too steep and stuck.  My hips would fire too quick, arms would get behind me and steep.  I would then stall/flip and either have a low duck hook or a high block.

For anyone still in there, I feel for you!

#39 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

Balance Point Golf Schools

• Sponsors
  • 3,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98978
GolfWRX Likes : 1733

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:34 PM

View PostJMG_02, on 23 April 2018 - 09:14 AM, said:

Even reading this thread gives me anxiety.  I was this close to quitting the game altogether a few years ago.  I've detailed it on threads here and there.

Long story short, the driver yips are just cruel.  Completely separating golf from "real life", it is miserable.  On a grand scheme of things (job, health, family, etc.) its obviously insignificant.  However, for a golf fan, it's just horrid.

I couldn't even complete 18 holes.  I would go on golf trips with a group of guys, and my yips were a topic of conversation, mostly while i was away.  "How's he doing?  How's he hitting them?  Man that sucks, feel so sorry for him."

Anyway, through some instruction and a few major breakthroughs I was able to come out the other side.  

From a mechanical standpoint, my issue was getting too steep and stuck.  My hips would fire too quick, arms would get behind me and steep.  I would then stall/flip and either have a low duck hook or a high block.

For anyone still in there, I feel for you!

Agreed. In my experience working with yips students, driver yips are most destructive to your score, by a pretty wide margin. One yipped driver, and you can easily be OB or way off line in the deep junk, so doubles and triples not uncommon.  And it tends to creep into your other long game clubs as well. Putting yips are usually at least somewhat manageable, but full swing yips will drive you crazy. Have seen folks quit the game they love because of it.

#40 TheKrushh

TheKrushh

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266524
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:25 PM

Update: I'm more or less out of the driver yips. I found that I was getting anxious, letting my brain go really fast, and then my swing would get ridiculously fast and I couldn't time correctly.

Fix:
1. New Driver (Ping G400 Max - super easy to hit and just wanted to look at something different)
2. I went out and hit like 5-6 balls on each of the tee shots that were giving me trouble. This helped some but definitely didn't fix things.
3. Mental: I said to my self I don't care where this ball goes because if I care, I know it's going to be bad. Took a long deep breath in and out. Stepped up to my shot, took another big deep breath, relaxed my grip, and then just tried to make a long smooth swing back and a long smooth swing through.
4. Let myself be confident and feel proud when I pulled off the shot and said I'll be better on the next one if I didn't.

Ping G400Max 10.5 ADGP 7X
Taylormade R15 17 Speeder 7X
Srixon U85 3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 LYG

LYG

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9056
GolfWRX Likes : 241

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:32 PM

Not sure if it was the yips -- but Ian Baker-Finch (had won the British Open already, I think) -- got to a point where he could not hit a fairway with his driver.

You're in good company!

Not sure if it was the yips -- but Ian Baker-Finch (had won the British Open already, I think) got to a point where he could not hit a fairway with his driver.

You're in good company!

Edited by LYG, 21 May 2018 - 06:32 PM.

TM M2 driver (2016) Fujikura Pro 53
TM M2 3 and 5 woods, Fujikura Pro 53
PXG 19 degree hybrid, Fujikura Pro 73
Mizuno MP 25, 3-PW, Nippon 1150 GH Tour
Miura wedges, Y grind 53 and 59, Nippon NS Pro
8802 Palmer or by Cleveland or early 1970's Ping Answer

#42 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34467
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:21 PM

Agree with this post.  Most posters here though well intentioned do not understand what you're going through or what you are even describing.

Tee it lower and back in your stance and fade it.  That will take pressure off having to close the clubface at impact as in a normal shot.

Try to imagine no ball there.  It's the ball which triggers it all.  Putting horrors are oftened alleviated by having someone pick up or not pick up the ball just before impact.  A bit harder to do this with a drive.

Edited by juliette91, 23 May 2018 - 08:22 PM.

#43 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34467
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:26 AM

Want to add this.  There really is no easy cure.  One of the best woman golfers I know, from my home State, an NCAA champion, has them and she was under the tutelage of probably the most well known and recognized yips researcher in the country.  So it ain't easy to rid yourself of them.

That said, you can reduce their effect and frequency by adopting some go to f'd up shot that won't ever win a beauty contest but keeps the ball on the planet.  I suggested one but find your own.

Above all, stop feeling sorry for yourself and do what you can to deal with this.

Don't become beguiled by online offers, though some are truly genuinely trying to help-and not just in it for the money.  It almost always limits its affliction to better golfers.  Why do you think that is?  Too much brain involved.

Edited by juliette91, 24 May 2018 - 09:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors