Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Help! I've got the driver yips

42 replies to this topic

#1 jonsnow

jonsnow

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426560
  • Handicap:9.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1246

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:33 AM

I have the driver yips & it is resulting in my seriously considering giving up the game. It started about 3 years ago & has crept to the point that I stand on the tee & know there is absolutely no way I am going to hit the ball where I can play the hole from; forget the fairway, I'm not even hitting it into the rough where I can punch out & finish the hole. Mostly low, nasty, short pullhooks with the occasional huge block to the right.

A little background: I'm 58, been playing since I was 11 & mostly to a low single-digit handicap. Currently carrying a 6.7 that I can't play anywhere close to because I had 3-4 rounds late last summer & fall where I actually kept the ball in play & shot in the mid 70s. Haven't played enough for them to have rolled off yet. Three of my last eight rounds have been in the 90s. My home course is fairly long & open on the front but short, tight & sloping on the back. The back used to be my favorite side because if you keep the ball in play there are more birdie opportunities, but now I dread making the turn.

Any suggestions? This is seriously not fun. Thanks...

WITB:
Titleist 910D3 9.5
Sonartec SS07 14
Titleist 910H hybrid 18
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
Tileist Vokey 50,54, 58
Cameron Newport 2
Bridgestone B330S

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Foxee

Foxee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 332379
  • Handicap:3.4
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:41 AM

Find some Monte Scheinblum or Mike Malaska vids on Youtube.  They make it very simple to understand.  Best guess is your hands are stuck behind your body.  Flip hook all day until you forget to flip and it goes right.
Titleist 915 D2   
Cobra Fly Z 3W
Cobra Fly Z+ 5W   
Mizuno MP H4 3i
Cobra Fly Z 4H   
Mizuno MP-54 5-7i
Mizuno MP-4 8-PW
Mizuno MP-T5 50/56*   
Ping Karsten TR Zing

#3 Funyuns

Funyuns

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 267394
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

I fight the low snap hook as well, no where near a 6.7 so you may take this with a grain of salt.

Obviously closed, delofted face coming across the ball. Check out the "water bottle" video by Chris Ryan. I think it's this one.

He had another one with an alignment rod 4-5 yards in front of you, just inside the target line. Make swings only trying to hit it about 50 yards, ball must go right of the rod and club head must finish left of it.

Nerves are likely making you fight that snap hook, your obvious talent is getting you all the way to transitioning your weight forward then you fight that hook and don't transfer to the front foot.

#4 jonsnow

jonsnow

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426560
  • Handicap:9.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1246

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:01 AM

View PostFunyuns, on 15 August 2016 - 09:42 AM, said:

I fight the low snap hook as well, no where near a 6.7 so you may take this with a grain of salt.

Obviously closed, delofted face coming across the ball. Check out the "water bottle" video by Chris Ryan. I think it's this one.

He had another one with an alignment rod 4-5 yards in front of you, just inside the target line. Make swings only trying to hit it about 50 yards, ball must go right of the rod and club head must finish left of it.

Nerves are likely making you fight that snap hook, your obvious talent is getting you all the way to transitioning your weight forward then you fight that hook and don't transfer to the front foot.

This sounds right. I think it started as I began to lose a little distance off the tee in an effort to regain it. I started trying to be more aggressive with the lower body & have gotten to the point I feel like I'm driving my left foot into the ground, stalling my left hip with my weight falling back to my right side & my hands flipping over. I feel like I make progress on the practice tee but then I play & it's OB/lost ball left all over again. It has gone from being a straightforward mechanical/technique problem to a mental block.

One thing I realized yesterday afternoon on the practice tee is the longer I stand over the ball with my driver (or 3-wood), the more likely I am to hit it off the world. Staying in motion, shifting weight from back foot to front & back again, one waggle & start the swing seems to help. It's not a magic pill, but my mishits are shots I can play & my percentage of good shots is noticeably higher. If I can transfer that to the course I may be on the right track. I'll reserve judgment until then; I've gotten my hopes up too many times.

Edited by jonsnow, 15 August 2016 - 10:02 AM.

WITB:
Titleist 910D3 9.5
Sonartec SS07 14
Titleist 910H hybrid 18
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
Tileist Vokey 50,54, 58
Cameron Newport 2
Bridgestone B330S

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...

#5 starsail85

starsail85

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2663
GolfWRX Likes : 989

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:13 AM

The word "yip" doesn't have much to do with technique.

It's a mental issue , probably caused by thinking of the wrong things over the ball and during the swing

What ever swing you have wont be changed over night, so try and feel the swing, opposed to directing orders to yourself about how to perform an athletic motion

Titleist 915 D4 9.25 / axivcore green 69x
Titleist 915 Fd 15/ Ei70 x
Mizuno MP18 2FH Project x 6.0
Mizuno MP4 yoro 3-Pw/project x 6.0
Vokey V 54 60 OC
Scotty Cameron JAT

Ball - Tour B XS
Grips - Tv cord

Lofts 17.5 21 25 29 33 37 41 45 49 54 60

#6 Kenny Lee Puckett

Kenny Lee Puckett

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,608 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379660
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 2893

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

the "feeling" that you're yippy leads me to believe your tempo with the driver is a wreck.... and 100% that you are BADLY short stroking the shoulder turn in the back swing....

get to the practice tee. want you to feel like you are swinging driver with the SAME tempo you swing the iron you are most confident with and feel amount of shoulder turn on the back swing as being almost ludicrous... see if you can link up those two concepts for a chain reaction.
https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be  video on course practice 5/2016

Ping G LST: Ping Tour 80
Ping Anser 4wd: Accra S3-80 RT
PXG 0317 Hybrid: Fujikura 8D07HB

Ping S55 4-PW: Dynamic Gold Tour Issue
Ping Glide 2.0  50/54/58 SS: DG Tour Issue
Ping ZING 2

Ping 703 +3 wraps/Pingman putter grip
Ping Sensor glove/Srixon 2017 Z-Star XV
Ping Hoofer 2016 bag

#7 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

Balance Point Golf Schools

• Sponsors
  • 3,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98978
GolfWRX Likes : 1703

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:36 PM

View Poststarsail85, on 15 August 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

It's a mental issue , probably caused by thinking of the wrong things over the ball and during the swing

What ever swing you have wont be changed over night, so try and feel the swing, opposed to directing orders to yourself about how to perform an athletic motion

Yes!

Yips, pretty much by definition, are mental/emotional in their root cause. The current bias in golf instruction to view every bad shot as caused ONLY by poor mechanics reflects a really huge lack of understanding of how the mind, brain and body work together. It's literally a 19th century reductionist view of human nature, or "mechanistic" bias.

The fact is simply this - how you use your conscious mind awareness can have a huge impact - both positive and negative - on your body motion, although not in the way most golfers think.

You use it to either reduce the probability of a flinch, or to increase it.

I specialize in helping golfers with the yips, and how to address the syndrome at it's root causes. In the past three months, I have coached four golfers with severe yips (ten on a one to ten scale) that had been a problem for 8-12 year time span, and cured every one of them.

#8 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
GolfWRX Likes : 286

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:22 PM

It would be interesting to hear more about Jim's approach, but as a short term suggestion, tee the ball up lower....maybe half the height you'd normally tee it for a driver.  That's why Laura Davies hits a driver off the dirt...she had wild control problems with a driver off the tee.  Maybe it's a crutch, but it actually works...

#9 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34467
GolfWRX Likes : 195

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

Profound---I think.  As one who has the driving yips (any club from the teeing ground) this is one of the more useful ways to think about the yips, including your entire post which points out to the 95% who caringly take the time to respond to the OP that it's mental and cannot be physically solved---unless like Haney the physical solution is so removed from "normal" that it changes your brain pathways.

Do you post about this anywhere else?  Sounds like you know more about this than your sentence or two.  If so I'm all ears.

#10 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:54 AM

View PostKenny Lee Puckett, on 15 August 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

the "feeling" that you're yippy leads me to believe your tempo with the driver is a wreck.... and 100% that you are BADLY short stroking the shoulder turn in the back swing....

get to the practice tee. want you to feel like you are swinging driver with the SAME tempo you swing the iron you are most confident with and feel amount of shoulder turn on the back swing as being almost ludicrous... see if you can link up those two concepts for a chain reaction.

This is good advice, coming from one who has the same problem as the OP and actually quit the game for 12 years because of it.  Now I have it sporadically but when it arises as it did yesterday it is amazingly disheartening.  Not because the score balloons to the stratosphere but because of the helplessness and I dare say shame of losing control over your body as though outside forces have taken over.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

View Postcarrera, on 15 August 2016 - 03:22 PM, said:

It would be interesting to hear more about Jim's approach, but as a short term suggestion, tee the ball up lower....maybe half the height you'd normally tee it for a driver.  That's why Laura Davies hits a driver off the dirt...she had wild control problems with a driver off the tee.  Maybe it's a crutch, but it actually works...

Interesting.  I think you're proposing a physical change because you think the yips involve something mechanically awry but I do think your suggestion is an avenue to explore.  My go to shot when I have the teeing ground yips is a low tee managed slice.   Not sure why that works about 80% of the time but it does.  Could be like that Haney solution where the physical change is so dramatic that the subconscious can't resurrect all the crap that leads to the yips.  And I don't mind giving up 40 yards off the tee because I've succeeded in temporarily defeating what feels like outside forces taking over my swing. Ha!

#12 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

View Postjuliette91, on 24 June 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

View Postcarrera, on 15 August 2016 - 03:22 PM, said:

Interesting.  I think you're proposing a physical change because you think the yips involve something mechanically awry but I do think your suggestion is an avenue to explore.  My go to shot when I have the teeing ground yips is a low tee managed slice.   Not sure why that works about 80% of the time but it does.  Could be like that Haney solution where the physical change is so dramatic that the subconscious can't resurrect all the crap that leads to the yips.  And I don't mind giving up 40 yards off the tee because I've succeeded in temporarily defeating what feels like outside forces taking over my swing. Ha!

Actually I'll take a whack at answering my own question.  The reason I think my go to shot works is that it doesn't involve rolling over the wrists or forearms too much.  It's like a slap at the ball with the hands as opposed to a body rotation and squaring of the club head with the arms/hands.  Actually, not sure why that works either...

#13 AllenResGolf

AllenResGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 218913
  • Handicap:Pro
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:35 AM

Post a video of your swing, down the line and face on if you can,  lot of times it could just be your setup etc.
"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations.
The average player has minimal time to make maximum compensations."
-Not my quote, but a great one!

#14 q-school

q-school

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17088
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:19 AM

I'm somewhat relieved to know I'm not the only one this happens to

#15 ttm27

ttm27

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107577
  • Ebay ID:terps2703
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:50 AM

Have been battling this off and on. In my case I was yanking the club too far to the inside and not completing my backswing...at all.  Tempo was ridiculously quick too.

#16 Erik_Tedfelt

Erik_Tedfelt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 491040
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:27 AM

If your trouble is purely mental which is almost always the case with 'yips' then the problem is most likely caused or exaggerated by overthinking.

One simple tip that I learned from Hank Haney to solve this problem is to look at the brim of your hat on your downswing.

Give it a try and see if it helps you.

#17 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:12 PM

View Postttm27, on 05 March 2018 - 07:50 AM, said:

Have been battling this off and on. In my case I was yanking the club too far to the inside and not completing my backswing...at all.  Tempo was ridiculously quick too.

Hmmm, does not sound like a "yips" problem, sounds very swing mechanics oriented.  The yips is a real flinch, like your eyes close and your hands twitch in a way to fillet the club face open to the target---like way open.  It's a noticeable spastic move that you would feel.  It's not poor mechanics that is causing it, though it results in godawful mechanics.

#18 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:37 AM

1.Stand with feet together ball in the middle
2.Tilt spine away from target by sliding tailbone towards target while keeping head still
3.Separate feet by moving the trail foot away from the lead foot with the ball inside front heel. Flair your lead foot out a bit.
4.Hands slightly forward of zipper
5.Feel like swing is more of a merry go round than a ferris wheel
5.Err on the side of hanging back with your upper body. Might help with being steep. Steep driver is a no-no

p.s. this works for me.. might not work for you. I am prone to being super steep :blush2:

Edited by WinKiePie, 06 March 2018 - 12:43 AM.

#19 gators78

gators78

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121638
  • Handicap:2.3
GolfWRX Likes : 850

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

View PostJim Waldron, on 15 August 2016 - 01:36 PM, said:

Yes!

Yips, pretty much by definition, are mental/emotional in their root cause. The current bias in golf instruction to view every bad shot as caused ONLY by poor mechanics reflects a really huge lack of understanding of how the mind, brain and body work together. It's literally a 19th century reductionist view of human nature, or "mechanistic" bias.

The fact is simply this - how you use your conscious mind awareness can have a huge impact - both positive and negative - on your body motion, although not in the way most golfers think.

I specialize in helping golfers with the yips, and how to address the syndrome at it's root causes. In the past three months, I have coached four golfers with severe yips (ten on a one to ten scale) that had been a problem for 8-12 year time span, and cured every one of them.

Completely agree intent has a big impact on what people do mechanically, but how do you tackle the relationship between poor/inconsistent mechanics and mental?

In my swing I would get stuck/under and developed a two way miss, which almost promoted a flinch to try and time it. I would be on a practice tee in a wide open field with zero pressure and hit blocks and hooks and I realized ok I've played competitive golf before and won tournaments, so mentally I can get in the right ballpark, but there are some major mechanical things going that I need to fix. Same idea with chipping, folks that start blading and chunking it (two opposite ends) really develop some issues because of how wide the spectrum is of results.

I may be way off here but it sure feels like if you've got the mechanics for misses that are polar opposites (blocks and hooks, chunks and bladed wedges) it exacerbates, or even promotes, a yip.
G400 Max
M2 3W, Hybrid
1957 Blades (I blame you, WRX)
RTX3s
Cameron

#20 Obee

Obee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72306
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 3541

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

Driver yips take enjoyment out of the game for many people. My son quit for years because of them. He was a D1/D2 level golfer, too. Hey are similar in many ways to putting and chipping yips, but not exactly the same.

My son has gotten (mostly) over them by switching to 3-wood ONLY off the tee, and never teed up. More later....

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

View PostObee, on 06 March 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

Driver yips take enjoyment out of the game for many people. My son quit for years because of them. He was a D1/D2 level golfer, too. Hey are similar in many ways to putting and chipping yips, but not exactly the same.

My son has gotten (mostly) over them by switching to 3-wood ONLY off the tee, and never teed up. More later....

Yes!  All ears.  This part about never teed up is a recurring theme.  Maybe Jim Waldron can comment here.  It's my go to shot when I have the driver yips only I use a driver and create a slice.  If I try to hook it as a go to yip avoiding shot I find it's not as successful--probably because that feels like it requires my hands to turn over.  That's where I think the mental issue gets stuck, this teeing the ball up.  Maybe it looks to your subconscious like the ball has to be struck with the arms/hands turning over to square the club face while the ball on the ground just looks like you can take a swat at it regardless.?

Edited by juliette91, 06 March 2018 - 01:01 PM.

#22 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

View Postgators78, on 06 March 2018 - 09:43 AM, said:

Yes!

Completely agree intent has a big impact on what people do mechanically, but how do you tackle the relationship between poor/inconsistent mechanics and mental?

In my swing I would get stuck/under and developed a two way miss, which almost promoted a flinch to try and time it. I would be on a practice tee in a wide open field with zero pressure and hit blocks and hooks and I realized ok I've played competitive golf before and won tournaments, so mentally I can get in the right ballpark, but there are some major mechanical things going that I need to fix. Same idea with chipping, folks that start blading and chunking it (two opposite ends) really develop some issues because of how wide the spectrum is of results.

I may be way off here but it sure feels like if you've got the mechanics for misses that are polar opposites (blocks and hooks, chunks and bladed wedges) it exacerbates, or even promotes, a yip.

Dogs have fleas and ticks, meaning there is often more than one problem and more than one answer to the cause/source for yips.  At its root it's definitely mental with the subconscious acting out of fear of worse consequences and making you spastically flinch to avoid those consequences.  Re-training the subconscious by doing the same activity in a different way often works.  I flinch putting LH, my natural stroke, but do not flinch putting RH.  So is that mental or physical?

Your analysis is likely correct because you've played at a high level and your subconscious knows what kinematic moves are right.  Doing it "wrong" might make your subconscious fear the consequences and bingo you flinch.  Then the mental takes over and you have to figure a way to break the cycle that the subconscious has embedded.  Insidiously, even if you now re-acquire those good mechanics it does not automatically lead to the nirvana of no yips.  It's like you have to do some kind of physical move/position/grip that is way different.

So you venture further afield from the way you know how to hit it and you have to end run the whole thing.  Witness Hank Haney's solution to driving yips (see his Golf Digest article from 2003 or 4) where he had to stare at a spot on the inside brim of his hat throughout his swing in order not to yip.  As previously mentioned when I tried this I fell down dizzy.

Edited by juliette91, 06 March 2018 - 01:14 PM.

#23 Jim Waldron

Jim Waldron

Balance Point Golf Schools

• Sponsors
  • 3,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98978
GolfWRX Likes : 1703

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:30 PM

View Postgators78, on 06 March 2018 - 09:43 AM, said:

Yes!

A yip is an involuntary spasm of one or more muscles during the swing or stroke. It is actually an attempt by the subconscious mind to prevent a bad shot from happening. The fear of the bad shot is the original trigger, and then becomes both a fear of a bad shot and a fear of the yip itself, which makes the bad shot worse.

This does not mean that there is not a mechanical component. I have worked with several hundred students with yips over the years and only had a few with no mechanical component. Meaning bad mechanics causes a lot of bad shots over time, which erodes confidence until  a tipping point is reached where low confidence switches suddenly to ZERO confidence, which triggers the yips.

In my experience curing the yips - including severe Charles Barkley level yips - the mechanical changes (one of four key aspects of the yips in my system) work best for folks whose yip is on the lower level of intensity on the spectrum.

Two way miss due to poor mechanics would certainly qualify as something needs to be fixed via direct working on new and better mechanics, and not just working on the mental aspects.

#24 ShutSteepStuck

ShutSteepStuck

Grinding like Briny Baird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182556
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 449

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:33 PM

Have had the driver tips for about 3 weeks now...also had them for a few rds. a little over a year ago.

Not only yippy but a few times a rd I hit really skanky tee shots low on the face way out on the toe...toe shanking the ball maybe 3-4x a rd...the last 3x out. I mean like half the ball making contact with the face..

Pretty crazy that I have absolutely no clue where the the ball is going, no clue.

Won a gross tourney at my club shooting 1 over at (72.9) just a few months ago and most my rds have been around a handful or less over par this year up until these yips showed up. Today I shot 47-47 today in my club’s football qualifier—and that was generous b/c I picked up a handful of times and took my ESC.

Played 3x this week and after yipping it around the front shot around even and hit decent tee shots the last few hours of each rd. Today I was an absolute mess both sides. I even spent about 30 mins yesterday at the range full PSR and only yipped a handful...

Today...yipped about 6/12 before the rd and probably looked like a ghost on the first tee...the huge boundary fence kept my tee shot on #1 from going OB and also my provisional from going out on #2...

I did my best with my PSR and tried to focus and commit but there is definitely something majorly mental going on (mechanical too).

Would be quitting for a few weeks were it not for a damn golfnow hotdeal I made last week for Rustic Canyon on Tues. Really not even wanting to go out there...I’ve never understood how people could quit the game until now.

Just posting to have this thing record. What a nightmare!!!
g400lst 10*- accra tour z extreme 465 m5
g30 14.5* - ping tour 80x
vrPro ltd. 19* - diamana s 83x
4-gw ap1 712 - s300's
mp-t10 56.10 - s300
tvd 60m - ti s400
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

#25 randyfitz

randyfitz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 272296
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:28 PM

Curl your toes up throughout the tee shot....

#26 Pieter P

Pieter P

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 350815
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:36 PM

My suggestions (from a snap hooker in remission with occasional relapses).
Get a lesson from a good pro - much better than any video/book/selfhelp. It is easier to fix a mental issue if the mechanics are solid.
Get a lesson from a good pro
Get a lesson from a good pro

Shorten the driver - I went as short as 5 wood length ( easy to swop fairway sahfts into driver) There was a thread on short drivers earlier, and I got roasted for not getting the head heavier when doing so. I had no issue with swingweight differences. Hit ~ 10 fairways a round, not much shorter, but in play, and the bad one goes nowhere, not deep into the bundu. Give it a try - get 3 wood shaft or even a 5 wood shaft in driverhead and have a go.

Did I mention get a lesson from a good pro ?

#27 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
GolfWRX Likes : 2850

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:37 PM

View PostShutSteepStuck, on 14 April 2018 - 06:33 PM, said:

Have had the driver tips for about 3 weeks now...also had them for a few rds. a little over a year ago.

Not only yippy but a few times a rd I hit really skanky tee shots low on the face way out on the toe...toe shanking the ball maybe 3-4x a rd...the last 3x out. I mean like half the ball making contact with the face..

Pretty crazy that I have absolutely no clue where the the ball is going, no clue.

Won a gross tourney at my club shooting 1 over at (72.9) just a few months ago and most my rds have been around a handful or less over par this year up until these yips showed up. Today I shot 47-47 today in my club's football qualifier—and that was generous b/c I picked up a handful of times and took my ESC.

Played 3x this week and after yipping it around the front shot around even and hit decent tee shots the last few hours of each rd. Today I was an absolute mess both sides. I even spent about 30 mins yesterday at the range full PSR and only yipped a handful...

Today...yipped about 6/12 before the rd and probably looked like a ghost on the first tee...the huge boundary fence kept my tee shot on #1 from going OB and also my provisional from going out on #2...

I did my best with my PSR and tried to focus and commit but there is definitely something majorly mental going on (mechanical too).

Would be quitting for a few weeks were it not for a damn golfnow hotdeal I made last week for Rustic Canyon on Tues. Really not even wanting to go out there...I've never understood how people could quit the game until now.

Oh wow I hate reading this... you were playing so well a month ago.  

I played once with a guy who started off the round awfully.  He did something unexpected after maybe 5 holes.  He said "I believe I can hit my 5 iron off the tee" and so that's what he teed off with. After a few holes (of success with the 5 iron) he went to, I think, a fairway wood, which he now felt confident in.  By the end of the round, he was playing well.

The wisdom of his approach is to undo a mental pattern, you have to break from it. Sort of like a quantum shift.  Just set it down, somehow, and walk away from that whole neural pattern. The goal is to re-discover confidence/trust.  He played whatever club he could trust and then leverage this feeling to the next club.  It's a little like how one resolves panic attacks - by creating relaxed physiology and mindset as they ease into the trigger of panic.  So he used the club that created confidence (vs trying to fight through it).  But trying hard not to have the yips (eg, diligent focus on PSR) may not create the break in the neural pattern.

Anyway, just something to consider.  I really hate reading this, loved seeing you play so well...
Callaway Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Callway xhot 3 h
Titleist T-MB 4-W Modus 105 R
RomaRo Pro 3-W KBS Tour V 110 S
MacGregor 1025M Vfoil 4-W
Fourteen mt28v3 50, 52, 54,58
Cameron Futura 5W

#28 Turning bogey into birdie

Turning bogey into birdie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458312
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:09 PM

Seems like you are “flipping” the club. Trying loading better into your right leg and start the club on plane for a more square release.

Edited by Turning bogey into birdie, 14 April 2018 - 08:09 PM.

#29 ShutSteepStuck

ShutSteepStuck

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:05 PM

View PostTurning bogey into birdie, on 14 April 2018 - 08:09 PM, said:

Seems like you are “flipping” the club. Trying loading better into your right leg and start the club on plane for a more square release.

Definitely stalling & flipping path is way too far left and I'm steeper than ever but the mental aspect of these yips is by far the most savage part. I've played pretty good golf for years now by hitting the center of the face only a few times a month but this is crazy.

So Sick of looking at my ping. Reminds me of Darth Vader..over the last week I have been working through the first 3 Star Wars movies with my 5 year-old and that ping has turned me to the dark side. Going to put an LV4 in the bag Tues lol.
4-gw ap1 712 - s300's
mp-t10 56.10 - s300
tvd 60m - ti s400

#30 ShutSteepStuck

ShutSteepStuck

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:09 PM

View Postwmblake2000, on 14 April 2018 - 07:37 PM, said:

View PostShutSteepStuck, on 14 April 2018 - 06:33 PM, said:

Won a gross tourney at my club shooting 1 over at (72.9) just a few months ago and most my rds have been around a handful or less over par this year up until these yips showed up. Today I shot 47-47 today in my club's football qualifier—and that was generous b/c I picked up a handful of times and took my ESC.

Would be quitting for a few weeks were it not for a damn golfnow hotdeal I made last week for Rustic Canyon on Tues. Really not even wanting to go out there...I've never understood how people could quit the game until now.

Oh wow I hate reading this... you were playing so well a month ago.  

I played once with a guy who started off the round awfully.  He did something unexpected after maybe 5 holes.  He said "I believe I can hit my 5 iron off the tee" and so that's what he teed off with. After a few holes (of success with the 5 iron) he went to, I think, a fairway wood, which he now felt confident in.  By the end of the round, he was playing well.

The wisdom of his approach is to undo a mental pattern, you have to break from it. Sort of like a quantum shift.  Just set it down, somehow, and walk away from that whole neural pattern. The goal is to re-discover confidence/trust.  He played whatever club he could trust and then leverage this feeling to the next club.  It's a little like how one resolves panic attacks - by creating relaxed physiology and mindset as they ease into the trigger of panic.  So he used the club that created confidence (vs trying to fight through it).  But trying hard not to have the yips (eg, diligent focus on PSR) may not create the break in the neural pattern.

Anyway, just something to consider.  I really hate reading this, loved seeing you play so well...

Grinding less will def. be the first step out of this thing. I've also managed it mid-rd at times by setting up super open and hitting big peelers or shot and hitting a big dirty draw. Need to look into how Hank Haney finally got a handle on things, heard he had the yips for years and eventually cured them.

4-gw ap1 712 - s300's
mp-t10 56.10 - s300
tvd 60m - ti s400

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors