Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 3 votes

Sooooo, is golf dying?

699 replies to this topic

#691 golfer07840

golfer07840

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433524
  • Handicap:16.4
GolfWRX Likes : 456

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

View Postyouraway2, on 17 August 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

View Postadam667220, on 17 August 2017 - 02:25 PM, said:

Along the lines of attendance being down, etc. I just noticed something I've never seen from any course.

A course that I play maybe once a year has started offering hourly golf rates. They advertise it as, come in before work for an hour, or over lunch kind of thing, but either way, numbers must be pretty bad if you're trying to drum up any couple bucks you can. I can imagine the havoc that wreaks on scheduling tee times. You could go from backed to empty when everyone just decides to walk off the course. Not to mention how do you monitor their play.

Just thought it was odd.
Why not just add foot golf in as an added benefit? You could also rent boom boxes. Let's grow the game!

Footgolf has seriously become a thing here in NJ... hate it.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#692 DrCRHop

DrCRHop

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159143
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:35 PM

View PostMSchad, on 14 August 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

View Postgolfer07840, on 14 August 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

View PostMSchad, on 14 August 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

I'm 65 now and we have had the 1st or 2nd tee time for the last 10-12 years. 2 1/2 hour 18 hole rounds. Home in time for breakfast with the wife!
I am also at work @ 5:30 am during the week.

I don't care if it takes 90 mins to play 18 holes. I am not getting up that early to golf. A friend of mine works construction and is at work at an ungodly hour and when he plays on the weekends, he texts me what's going on. I wake up around 8:30 on a Saturday and there is he is on the 9th green by 8 am.

I also don't understand this desire to get it over with as quickly as possible. "I got my round in under 3 hours!" what is the rush? I'm not saying take 5 hours, but there seems to be this growing consensus on here that if you aren't done in under 3:30 hours, you're a slow player and should be fined and imprisoned.

Not saying you have to get up. Sleep in. Those of us who play early usually have other interests also and just don't want to spend 4+ hours in the middle of the day golfing when you can do more in the day. We also don't try to speed golf. That's just all the time it takes when the course is not packed.
When I play during the week I try and get the first tee time (6:30-ish) and will walk 9 holes - that way I know I'm not going to get stuck behind a slower group.  I'm an early riser anyway, but playing at 6:30 is perfect for my day, finish around 8-8:15 and then get to work by 9:30-ish.  Plus, in the summer it gets too hot too quickly so at least playing this early help with that.

#693 youraway2

youraway2

Just Old Sticks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25945
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:youraway
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:55 PM

View Postgolfer07840, on 18 August 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

Along the lines of attendance being down, etc. I just noticed something I've never seen from any course.

A course that I play maybe once a year has started offering hourly golf rates. They advertise it as, come in before work for an hour, or over lunch kind of thing, but either way, numbers must be pretty bad if you're trying to drum up any couple bucks you can. I can imagine the havoc that wreaks on scheduling tee times. You could go from backed to empty when everyone just decides to walk off the course. Not to mention how do you monitor their play.

Just thought it was odd.
Why not just add foot golf in as an added benefit? You could also rent boom boxes. Let's grow the game!

Our course spent big $ putting in the hole liners and flags.  They haven't been used in years and all the flags rotted away, and the hole covers are bent from mowing equipment, but they are still there, an eyesore on our course.  This year they have replaced all the flags but still no play. Plus the prices to occupy the course is far less than standard green fees.  My experience shows it's a huge loss for our sport.  Put the stupid things in the park somewhere.

Edited by youraway2, 18 August 2017 - 05:57 PM.

#694 golfer07840

golfer07840

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433524
  • Handicap:16.4
GolfWRX Likes : 456

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:03 PM

View Postyouraway2, on 18 August 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

Just thought it was odd.

Our course spent big $ putting in the hole liners and flags.  They haven't been used in years and all the flags rotted away, and the hole covers are bent from mowing equipment, but they are still there, an eyesore on our course.  This year they have replaced all the flags but still no play. Plus the prices to occupy the course is far less than standard green fees.  My experience shows it's a huge loss for our sport.  Put the stupid things in the park somewhere.
I was walking behind a bunch of footgolfers in the parking lot a few weeks ago, and I heard them taking about their "putting" stroke being off. I just rolled my eyes.

#695 rawdog

rawdog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424320
  • Handicap:8.6
  • Ebay ID:staghornsandmore
GolfWRX Likes : 862

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:11 PM

View Postgolfer07840, on 18 August 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

View Postyouraway2, on 18 August 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

Just thought it was odd.

I was walking behind a bunch of footgolfers in the parking lot a few weeks ago, and I heard them taking about their "putting" stroke being off. I just rolled my eyes.

Do they try new shoes or rotate shoes to go with the "hot" one?

:)

Here in Ohio, footgolf is popular among the couple Metroparks courses that have setups. Both are on the Par 3 courses and provide extra revenue since playing a par 3 course seems to be passe, particularly when there is an 18 hole regular course on the same property.

Cobra F7 8.5* HZRDUS Yellow @ 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 4 Wood 16.5*
Mizuno TZoid Fli-Hi 18*
TM SpeedBlade 4-PW
TM SpeedBlade 50*
Callaway PM Grind 55*
Callaway PM Grind 60*
Odyssey Metal X Milled #9 HT
Callaway Supersoft

#696 stlouismark

stlouismark

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124453
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

Turnberry and Trump National links in Scotland lost $25 million last year

https://www.golfdige...ollar25-million

#697 Break81

Break81

Broke80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 329

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

View Poststlouismark, on 10 October 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

I am sure there is much more to the story - How much money was spent trying to land a major?   Was this strictly operational cost versus revenue?
TM M1 - Rouge 60 Stiff
Callaway XR - 4 wood - Rouge w/ RIP tip 60
Callaway BB V-Series 5 wood - Rouge Silver Stiff
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
Chrome Soft Truvis / Srixon XV 2017

#698 uitar9

uitar9

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 349721
  • Handicap:LOL
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

Interesting. I don't know much about classic tracts in remote areas of Scotland, but I hear many of these top 100's are basically closed to the public, have hundreds of millions spent on 5 star resorts, are located in areas with constant cold and rain and often are bought out of bankruptcy.

Maybe its not golf dying, but these overpriced exclusive resorts.

#699 Break81

Break81

Broke80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 329

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:08 PM

View Postuitar9, on 10 October 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

Interesting. I don't know much about classic tracts in remote areas of Scotland, but I hear many of these top 100's are basically closed to the public, have hundreds of millions spent on 5 star resorts, are located in areas with constant cold and rain and often are bought out of bankruptcy.

Maybe its not golf dying, but these overpriced exclusive resorts.

Lots to consider for sure. Sports franchises will report operational losses, but they aren't reporting their gains on merchandise and concessions. Simply ticket sales.  Lots of way to report losses to help with taxes in such.

Not saying they aren't losing money, but nobody is in business to take that kind of hit YoY.
TM M1 - Rouge 60 Stiff
Callaway XR - 4 wood - Rouge w/ RIP tip 60
Callaway BB V-Series 5 wood - Rouge Silver Stiff
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
Chrome Soft Truvis / Srixon XV 2017

#700 MaddMaxx

MaddMaxx

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438332
  • Handicap:9-18
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted Today, 10:09 AM

View PostNevinW, on 05 August 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

It isn't dying.  The economy hasn't recovered enough and that is the primary problem.  Golfsmith's problems sounds like it is a bunch of bad real estate deals and leases more than anything.  Nike getting out is hardly a surprise.  How many great golf club manufacturers have gone away over the years?  Remember Macgregor, Powerbilt, Wilson (to a lessor extent)?  These were the main club companies when I started playing.  When the economy improves and there is more disposable income, golf will expand again.

I hate to brake it to you but the economy is as good as it will get. This is the permanent recession and it aint going to end in our lifetime.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors