Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 3 votes

Sooooo, is golf dying?


783 replies to this topic

#631 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,067 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 3883

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:41 AM

At the local level, I must say there seems to be an uptick in participation this past year or two. I really think my local golf "market" took until around 2015 to start digging out of the 2007-era downturn. I don't play much at public courses but have heard a few stories recently of people not being able to get prime tee times or they get a tee time and endure a 5-hour slog on a course packed with one foursome every 8 minutes all morning long. That was the norm 15 years ago but until fairly recently those same courses were racing each other to the bottom in term of GolfNow pricing and still with far less than full tee sheets. A couple of courses did close during the worst of it but I'd say total rounds played must be back to at least 70-80% of the early 00's historic max.

And the various charity scrambles and so forth (which tend to attract other than "core" or "avid" golfers, to say the least) are getting remarkably popular again.The one thing that has not recovering is the corporate outing. Twenty years ago that was a huge source of revenue for public and private courses but it's just a fraction of what it once was. Also private-club memberships are still far below their peak (which to be fair was already declining here locally before the 2007 financial crisis).

Speaking of which, I hate to admit it but my own club seems to have turned around its membership trends by going very aggressively after 30-something incoming members with or without families. The reason I say "hate to admit it" is while I appreciate the stabilizing effect on the club's finances we're talking a very different demographic than what I've been used to over my years at the club. If the trend continues, I suspect the club's culture will inevitably change. For instance, hardly a soul among them would ever even consider walking instead of using a cart. I can only hope it takes a long while before my club gets snatched away from me by the "carts required on weekends and before 11am" culture that seems to be the prevailing paradigm nowadays. And there's the concomitant music blaring from carts (I literally never once in more than a decade heard that while playing at my club, over the past couple years it has now been almost an every-round encounter).

So who knows, I was quite pessimistic about the medium-term future of the game (next 10-20 years) up until recently. Now maybe I'm a bit more sanguine about the game surviving in something remotely like its current form. But I'm getting old enough that I feel that old Grandpa Simpson bile rising up in the back of my throat every time some no-sock-wearing 35-year-old frat boy comes carting by me with rap music playing (who are they trying to impress with that anyway?) while I'm trying to play my same old, sedate round of golf.

Engaged in the eternal search for the elusive Swedish meatball cores...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#632 stlouismark

stlouismark

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124453
  • Joined: 03/13/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:09 AM

Final round numbers are in......3.6 rating is the 2nd lowest tv ratings of all time (2014 was lowest at 3.3):

http://twitter.com/A...789643114676224



2

#633 klebs01

klebs01

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107880
  • Joined: 05/12/2010
  • Location:Milwaukee
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 19 June 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

At the local level, I must say there seems to be an uptick in participation this past year or two. I really think my local golf "market" took until around 2015 to start digging out of the 2007-era downturn. I don't play much at public courses but have heard a few stories recently of people not being able to get prime tee times or they get a tee time and endure a 5-hour slog on a course packed with one foursome every 8 minutes all morning long. That was the norm 15 years ago but until fairly recently those same courses were racing each other to the bottom in term of GolfNow pricing and still with far less than full tee sheets. A couple of courses did close during the worst of it but I'd say total rounds played must be back to at least 70-80% of the early 00's historic max.

And the various charity scrambles and so forth (which tend to attract other than "core" or "avid" golfers, to say the least) are getting remarkably popular again.The one thing that has not recovering is the corporate outing. Twenty years ago that was a huge source of revenue for public and private courses but it's just a fraction of what it once was. Also private-club memberships are still far below their peak (which to be fair was already declining here locally before the 2007 financial crisis).

Speaking of which, I hate to admit it but my own club seems to have turned around its membership trends by going very aggressively after 30-something incoming members with or without families. The reason I say "hate to admit it" is while I appreciate the stabilizing effect on the club's finances we're talking a very different demographic than what I've been used to over my years at the club. If the trend continues, I suspect the club's culture will inevitably change. For instance, hardly a soul among them would ever even consider walking instead of using a cart. I can only hope it takes a long while before my club gets snatched away from me by the "carts required on weekends and before 11am" culture that seems to be the prevailing paradigm nowadays. And there's the concomitant music blaring from carts (I literally never once in more than a decade heard that while playing at my club, over the past couple years it has now been almost an every-round encounter).

So who knows, I was quite pessimistic about the medium-term future of the game (next 10-20 years) up until recently. Now maybe I'm a bit more sanguine about the game surviving in something remotely like its current form. But I'm getting old enough that I feel that old Grandpa Simpson bile rising up in the back of my throat every time some no-sock-wearing 35-year-old frat boy comes carting by me with rap music playing (who are they trying to impress with that anyway?) while I'm trying to play my same old, sedate round of golf.

I'm in my early thirties and returned to the game last year. My private club went after younger members and gained about 40 members under 40. Maybe more. You are right that the members are different. For us it's mostly hardcore golfers rather than families that was a social scene. Unlike your experience though almost all of our younger members walk unless forced to ride in events or with guests.

3

#634 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,067 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 3883

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

View Postklebs01, on 19 June 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 19 June 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

At the local level, I must say there seems to be an uptick in participation this past year or two. I really think my local golf "market" took until around 2015 to start digging out of the 2007-era downturn. I don't play much at public courses but have heard a few stories recently of people not being able to get prime tee times or they get a tee time and endure a 5-hour slog on a course packed with one foursome every 8 minutes all morning long. That was the norm 15 years ago but until fairly recently those same courses were racing each other to the bottom in term of GolfNow pricing and still with far less than full tee sheets. A couple of courses did close during the worst of it but I'd say total rounds played must be back to at least 70-80% of the early 00's historic max.

And the various charity scrambles and so forth (which tend to attract other than "core" or "avid" golfers, to say the least) are getting remarkably popular again.The one thing that has not recovering is the corporate outing. Twenty years ago that was a huge source of revenue for public and private courses but it's just a fraction of what it once was. Also private-club memberships are still far below their peak (which to be fair was already declining here locally before the 2007 financial crisis).

Speaking of which, I hate to admit it but my own club seems to have turned around its membership trends by going very aggressively after 30-something incoming members with or without families. The reason I say "hate to admit it" is while I appreciate the stabilizing effect on the club's finances we're talking a very different demographic than what I've been used to over my years at the club. If the trend continues, I suspect the club's culture will inevitably change. For instance, hardly a soul among them would ever even consider walking instead of using a cart. I can only hope it takes a long while before my club gets snatched away from me by the "carts required on weekends and before 11am" culture that seems to be the prevailing paradigm nowadays. And there's the concomitant music blaring from carts (I literally never once in more than a decade heard that while playing at my club, over the past couple years it has now been almost an every-round encounter).

So who knows, I was quite pessimistic about the medium-term future of the game (next 10-20 years) up until recently. Now maybe I'm a bit more sanguine about the game surviving in something remotely like its current form. But I'm getting old enough that I feel that old Grandpa Simpson bile rising up in the back of my throat every time some no-sock-wearing 35-year-old frat boy comes carting by me with rap music playing (who are they trying to impress with that anyway?) while I'm trying to play my same old, sedate round of golf.

I'm in my early thirties and returned to the game last year. My private club went after younger members and gained about 40 members under 40. Maybe more. You are right that the members are different. For us it's mostly hardcore golfers rather than families that was a social scene. Unlike your experience though almost all of our younger members walk unless forced to ride in events or with guests.

Ours seem mostly families, so kind of the opposite. I guess when the club casts a big old net out into the ocean of potential members it's hard to say what kind of fish they'll catch!

But seriously, it's not all or nothing. We've certainly gained more than a handful of young guys who are both golf-minded and who fit in with the older, mostly walking, friendly dogfight type of culture. So even "my type of member" has benefited from the membership uptick. But we gained a *lot* of the other types. The family members (where the kids use the pool, dad plays golf, mom pops in for lunch once in a while) and the cart-riding young golfers both of whom were pretty rare for quite a few years.
Engaged in the eternal search for the elusive Swedish meatball cores...

4

#635 Break81

Break81

    Broke80

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Joined: 07/13/2013
  • Location:Chino Hills
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 396

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

View Poststlouismark, on 19 June 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

Final round numbers are in......3.6 rating is the 2nd lowest tv ratings of all time (2014 was lowest at 3.3):

http://twitter.com/A...789643114676224
   Number of reasons but I think part of it was no big names were in the hunt, and it didn't feel like a US OPEN. About the same feel as the Travlers Championship, or any other average event.  No Phil, No Rory, No DJ, No Day, Speith wasnt a factor, nor Bubba, nor Kuch, and Fowler faded away.

Hard for people to watch something with names they aren't familiar with.

TM M1 - Rouge 60 Stiff
Callaway XR - 4 wood - Rouge w/ RIP tip 60
Callaway BB V-Series 5 wood - Rouge Silver Stiff
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
Chrome Soft Truvis / Srixon XV 2017

5

#636 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,067 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 3883

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:05 PM

People tune in to watch "names" not courses.
Engaged in the eternal search for the elusive Swedish meatball cores...

6

#637 Golfnuck

Golfnuck

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348187
  • Joined: 11/12/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 278

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

View Postkizell, on 18 June 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

This is a great topic

I don't think golf is dying but it is certainly changing.

There are younger people wanting to play golf than ever before, but almost none of them have resources to join a private club like their parents.  Thus we will see a shift from dying private links to improved public trails.

Golf technology has kind of priced out manufactures.  I've been using the same clubs I bought in 2009 with no need for changes.  Most of us are not going to spend that much money when the advancement is minimal.

Golf course design is also changing with lower revenues being collecting.  Architects are now designing courses with little tree cover to make maintenance easier

Just my 2 cents

"There are younger people wanting to play golf than ever before, but almost none of them have resources to join a private club like their parents." - Isn't this the case for all generations? I am a Generation X'r. When I was under 35 I certainly did not have the resources to join a private club. Even if I had the resources I certainly did not have the time to golf on a regular basis. Raising kids and moving ahead in my career dominated almost 100% of my time. It should be normal that younger person would have less financial resources than their parents?

As a part of my work I read a lot of marketing research. While most of them are "BS" there is a common theme and that is to watch what the "boomers" desire or need.

The boomers have a significant impact on everything. IMHO they had a bigger impact on golf popularity and the build up of courses than Tiger Woods.

My personal opinion only but I think we will see a surge in Private Memberships when the Millennials reach their 40's and 50's. Millennials will acquire a massive amount of wealth when their boomer parents or grand parents (older boomers) pass away. It is kinda like an echo of the impact of the boomers.

Edited by Golfnuck, 19 June 2017 - 08:41 PM.


7

#638 jslane57

jslane57

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Joined: 05/27/2016
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 2068

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:38 PM

View PostGolfnuck, on 19 June 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

View Postkizell, on 18 June 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

This is a great topic

I don't think golf is dying but it is certainly changing.

There are younger people wanting to play golf than ever before, but almost none of them have resources to join a private club like their parents.  Thus we will see a shift from dying private links to improved public trails.

Golf technology has kind of priced out manufactures.  I've been using the same clubs I bought in 2009 with no need for changes.  Most of us are not going to spend that much money when the advancement is minimal.

Golf course design is also changing with lower revenues being collecting.  Architects are now designing courses with little tree cover to make maintenance easier

Just my 2 cents

"There are younger people wanting to play golf than ever before, but almost none of them have resources to join a private club like their parents." - Isn't this the case for all generations? I am a Generation X'r. When I was under 35 I certainly did not have the resources to join a private club. Even if I had the resources I certainly did not have the time to golf on a regular basis. Raising kids and moving ahead in my career dominated almost 100% of my time. It should be normal that younger person would have less financial resources than their parents?

As a part of my work I read a lot of marketing research. While most of them are "BS" there is a common theme and that is to watch what the "boomers" desire or need.

The boomers have a significant impact on everything. IMHO they had a bigger impact on golf popularity and the build up of courses than Tiger Woods.

My personal opinion only but I think we will see a surge in Private Memberships when the Millennials reach their 40's and 50's. Millennials will acquire a massive amount of wealth when their boomer parents or grand parents (older boomers) pass away. It is kinda like an echo of the impact of the boomers.
Of course you're correct. So the question needs to be asked, why should golf try so hard to attract the kids? Being turned off at a young age due to affordablity may be worse for the sport long term than hooking older folks who are finally ready for golf...
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

8

#639 youraway2

youraway2

    Just Old Sticks

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25945
  • Joined: 02/24/2007
  • Location:Niceville Florida
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:youraway
GolfWRX Likes : 247

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

Most efforts I've seen to grow golf, are really efforts to put money in the pockets of those trying to grow golf.

9

#640 bobfoster

bobfoster

    Best Sport on Earth. Ever.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104921
  • Joined: 03/16/2010
  • Location:NYC + London + Mexico DF
GolfWRX Likes : 306

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:23 AM

If golf was dying I wouldn't still be doing 5 hour rounds on weekends.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#641 baaron008

baaron008

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 421434
  • Joined: 04/18/2016
  • Handicap:high
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:44 AM

Every course I play in Alabama on weekends you have to get a tee time at least a week in advance to tee off before 11 am. And even when you do, a group tees off every 7 minutes so the round takes 4.5 to 5.5 hours.

11

#642 uitar9

uitar9

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 349721
  • Joined: 11/24/2014
  • Handicap:LOL
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:42 AM

View PostGolfnuck, on 19 June 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

View Postkizell, on 18 June 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

This is a great topic

I don't think golf is dying but it is certainly changing.

There are younger people wanting to play golf than ever before, but almost none of them have resources to join a private club like their parents.  Thus we will see a shift from dying private links to improved public trails.

Golf technology has kind of priced out manufactures.  I've been using the same clubs I bought in 2009 with no need for changes.  Most of us are not going to spend that much money when the advancement is minimal.

Golf course design is also changing with lower revenues being collecting.  Architects are now designing courses with little tree cover to make maintenance easier

Just my 2 cents

"There are younger people wanting to play golf than ever before, but almost none of them have resources to join a private club like their parents." - Isn't this the case for all generations? I am a Generation X'r. When I was under 35 I certainly did not have the resources to join a private club. Even if I had the resources I certainly did not have the time to golf on a regular basis. Raising kids and moving ahead in my career dominated almost 100% of my time. It should be normal that younger person would have less financial resources than their parents?

As a part of my work I read a lot of marketing research. While most of them are "BS" there is a common theme and that is to watch what the "boomers" desire or need.

The boomers have a significant impact on everything. IMHO they had a bigger impact on golf popularity and the build up of courses than Tiger Woods.

My personal opinion only but I think we will see a surge in Private Memberships when the Millennials reach their 40's and 50's. Millennials will acquire a massive amount of wealth when their boomer parents or grand parents (older boomers) pass away. It is kinda like an echo of the impact of the boomers.

I like this: Boomers vs Tiger

Those millennial are a big group. Many industries are going to benefit/rebound/be created from that life cycle.

Like another poster wrote, '07'08 was detrimental on disposable income. Now its the impact of the energy slump. 100's of thousands  are unemployed everywhere. Golf is not on their radar. Another area that may effect golf in the medium term is the  "eco snob" syndrome. (I'm not suggesting we throw effluent on the streets) But the water issue because of lawn style grass will have an impact limiting course creation in the country club style.  

I don't know why we expect golf, an expensive activity, to not be effected by the results of changing demographic economics.

Having said that, if I wait two hours past a booking time opening I do not get a time I want

12

#643 EKELLY

EKELLY

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Joined: 12/08/2015
  • Location:Tampa, FL
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 1004

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:20 PM

If it's actually true that men over 50 spend over 70% of all golf revenue, it doesn't take a degree in math or accounting to spell out what happens when that group is gone. It spells the a major problem. Golf might not be in decline NOW, but it IS coming.......

13

#644 MGMiller

MGMiller

    Philosopher

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 327005
  • Joined: 07/15/2014
  • Location:Albuquerque
  • Handicap:10.8
  • Ebay ID:74mgm59
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:25 PM

It's dead........now get off my golf course!!!!
TaylorMade 2017 M1 Driver, White Tie- stiff
Callaway FT Optiforce 5 and 7 wood, Matrix OZIK-stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged, Project X LZ 6.0
Cleavland RTX 588 2.0- 52,56,60
Scotty Cameron Sonoma, Super Stroke 2.0

14

#645 Break81

Break81

    Broke80

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Joined: 07/13/2013
  • Location:Chino Hills
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 396

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:33 PM

View PostEKELLY, on 25 June 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

If it's actually true that men over 50 spend over 70% of all golf revenue, it doesn't take a degree in math or accounting to spell out what happens when that group is gone. It spells the a major problem. Golf might not be in decline NOW, but it IS coming.......

  Not true - there is an endless supply of men who will pick up the game to get away from their wives for 6-7 hours at a time. Once you hit 50 and been married 20-25 years, golf fits right in.  Especially for those who kids are out of the house.  Hell I am not yet 43 and I love golf not only for the sport, but the distraction is can bring from having a stressful career and balance of being married.

    My wife found a hobby too, it's called shopping for crap we dont need, but I tolerate it as she tolerates my golf. :golfer:

TM M1 - Rouge 60 Stiff
Callaway XR - 4 wood - Rouge w/ RIP tip 60
Callaway BB V-Series 5 wood - Rouge Silver Stiff
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
Chrome Soft Truvis / Srixon XV 2017

15

#646 2putttom

2putttom

    # 1 Oregon Duck fan

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,271 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Joined: 04/24/2012
  • Location:N.California, LInks @ Bodega Bay
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 3796

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:46 PM

View Poststlouismark, on 19 June 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

Final round numbers are in......3.6 rating is the 2nd lowest tv ratings of all time (2014 was lowest at 3.3):

http://twitter.com/A...789643114676224
I streamed it at work
Tour Exotics E 8 15*
Adams CMB 4-6  MB2's 7-9 1 more season
Mizuno Mp 4 52 MP T7 56 &60
Bobby Grace The Little Man (google it)
Oregon Ducks Bag

16

#647 Golfnuck

Golfnuck

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348187
  • Joined: 11/12/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 278

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

View PostEKELLY, on 25 June 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

If it's actually true that men over 50 spend over 70% of all golf revenue, it doesn't take a degree in math or accounting to spell out what happens when that group is gone. It spells the a major problem. Golf might not be in decline NOW, but it IS coming.......

"it doesn't take a degree in math or accounting to spell out what happens when that group is gone.

How does that happen ??????

Are you saying that from now on there will be no one turning 50 ???????

Or are you referring to the fact the baby boomers are aging out of their 50's.

If so that started to happen years ago. Boomers are defined as those born in the mid 1940's to the early 1960's.

Early boomers started to age out of their 50's beginning in the 1990's and the late boomers are now aging out of their 50's.

IMHO that is the primary reason we saw the decline that golf is experiencing now.

While the crash of 2008 may have had some impact, I think the aging out of the boomers had a bigger more long term impact.

However we will see the echo of the boomers start to age into their 50's now and for the next 10 years.

IMHO I believe that echo of the boomers will have an impact on golf though not as prominent as their parent boomers.

I also believe that echo of the boomers are going to inherit a massive amount of wealth and will have the opportunity to spend it on expensive indulgences like private country clubs etc.

Edited by Golfnuck, 26 June 2017 - 09:47 AM.


17

#648 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 16262

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:09 AM

View PostEKELLY, on 25 June 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

If it's actually true that men over 50 spend over 70% of all golf revenue, it doesn't take a degree in math or accounting to spell out what happens when that group is gone. It spells the a major problem. Golf might not be in decline NOW, but it IS coming.......

Lol. So we've finally achieved The Carousel that was depicted in Logan's Run? All the 49 year olds are going to drop dead this year? The tail end of the baby boomers have just past 50. The children of the oldest boomers are pushing 50. In 2015, adults 55 to 64 made up 13% of the U.S. population. Those 65 and older made up another 15%. The folks ages 35 to 54 make up 26% of the population. Those are the boomers kids, and they're reaching their peak earnings.

18

#649 fore

fore

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1981
  • Joined: 06/26/2005
  • Location:Hudson River Valley
  • Handicap:5.4
GolfWRX Likes : 503

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

Gadzooks, it's not difficult to understand .

The middle class is shrinking. It's a fact!!!

So more folks have to work more just to pay their bills.

Of course that will effect a lot of activities like golf.  

Some charts.

http://billmoyers.co...6/middle-class/

19

#650 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
  • Joined: 12/30/2008
  • Location:Western NY
GolfWRX Likes : 1898

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:37 PM

Though this article says things are looking good for golf. Which generally matches what I see.

https://www.forbes.c...7/#1e73e60d5660


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#651 sekrah

sekrah

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109137
  • Joined: 06/07/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 519

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:51 PM

"Nobody plays golf anymore, it's too crowded."

21

#652 EKELLY

EKELLY

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Joined: 12/08/2015
  • Location:Tampa, FL
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 1004

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

View PostGolfnuck, on 26 June 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

View PostEKELLY, on 25 June 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

If it's actually true that men over 50 spend over 70% of all golf revenue, it doesn't take a degree in math or accounting to spell out what happens when that group is gone. It spells the a major problem. Golf might not be in decline NOW, but it IS coming.......

"it doesn't take a degree in math or accounting to spell out what happens when that group is gone.

How does that happen ??????

Are you saying that from now on there will be no one turning 50 ???????

Or are you referring to the fact the baby boomers are aging out of their 50's.

If so that started to happen years ago. Boomers are defined as those born in the mid 1940's to the early 1960's.

Early boomers started to age out of their 50's beginning in the 1990's and the late boomers are now aging out of their 50's.

IMHO that is the primary reason we saw the decline that golf is experiencing now.

While the crash of 2008 may have had some impact, I think the aging out of the boomers had a bigger more long term impact.

However we will see the echo of the boomers start to age into their 50's now and for the next 10 years.

IMHO I believe that echo of the boomers will have an impact on golf though not as prominent as their parent boomers.

I also believe that echo of the boomers are going to inherit a massive amount of wealth and will have the opportunity to spend it on expensive indulgences like private country clubs etc.
That's what I was referring to. The NEW group will be SIGNIFICANTLY smaller, as the price of everything has skyrocketed. I can say this, my old private club in NY, and numerous clubs in my area went from "don't touch me" private, to semi-private. They don't do that because things are going well.....My old club in NY had over 30 women with single digit handicaps, now they have 4........LOL.......I see everyone's point, believe me, but just because the parking lot is looking good on Saturday/Sunday doesn't mean a club is doing well.......

22

#653 stlouismark

stlouismark

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124453
  • Joined: 03/13/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:58 AM

Tweet from Darren Rovell:

http://twitter.com/d...094160095858688

Masters - worst ratings since 2004

US Open - 2nd worst ratings of all time

British Open - final round lost to the fvcking Brickyard 400

PGA - worst ratings since 2008

Edited by stlouismark, 14 August 2017 - 08:59 AM.


23

#654 gioguy21

gioguy21

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 244071
  • Joined: 04/09/2013
  • Location:NJ
  • Handicap:+0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2609

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 26 June 2017 - 10:09 AM, said:

View PostEKELLY, on 25 June 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

If it's actually true that men over 50 spend over 70% of all golf revenue, it doesn't take a degree in math or accounting to spell out what happens when that group is gone. It spells the a major problem. Golf might not be in decline NOW, but it IS coming.......

Lol. So we've finally achieved The Carousel that was depicted in Logan's Run? All the 49 year olds are going to drop dead this year? The tail end of the baby boomers have just past 50. The children of the oldest boomers are pushing 50. In 2015, adults 55 to 64 made up 13% of the U.S. population. Those 65 and older made up another 15%. The folks ages 35 to 54 make up 26% of the population. Those are the boomers kids, and they're reaching their peak earnings.
I'm 32 and can count on 1 hand how many of my friends are members of a golf/country club.

the rest are muni guys and/or weekend warriors that are always saying how expensive it can get -- 'if it were cheaper, i'd probably play more."

most of my friends have good jobs and despite being closer to peak earnings -- here in NJ, the taxes are enough to demolish any sort of disposable income.

G400 10.5* / Synergy PROTO 65TX

2017 M2 Tour 3HL / HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.0 Tipped 3/4"

UDI 20 / Tensei Pro White Hybrid 90TX

Custom TM Blades ('14 TP MBs) 4-PW /  Modus 105X

MD Forged 52 (10), 58 (8)  /  DG TI S200

Zombee Stinger BBZero F.I.T. (limited run) / 35.5"

TP5x OR ProV1


24

#655 bullsfan

bullsfan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 347511
  • Joined: 11/06/2014
  • Location:Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

It's no different down here in FL. The bubble bursting really hurt golf in my area and I've still managed to play where I can get the best deals or have friends who have memberships with guest rates. The downturn in the economy personally hurt me bad, to the point where I'm starting over at 45, but I've been able to keep a consistent once a week outing with friends/family. But there will be no club joining like I had pre-downturn even though the deals are there. Maybe there's been some uptick in my area but overall I believe it's mostly revolved around the haves and have not's, like it was in the 80's.

Driver: Titleist 910 D3 9.5*
Fairway: Ping i20 14*
Hybrid: Ping Anser 20*
Irons: Ping i25 4-W
Wedges: Ping Glide 50* 56* & 60*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Select

25

#656 golfer07840

golfer07840

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433524
  • Joined: 07/21/2016
  • Location:Northwest NJ
  • Handicap:16.4
GolfWRX Likes : 475

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

View Postbaaron008, on 23 June 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

Every course I play in Alabama on weekends you have to get a tee time at least a week in advance to tee off before 11 am. And even when you do, a group tees off every 7 minutes so the round takes 4.5 to 5.5 hours.

I never understood this fascination with playing golf prior to 11 AM. Granted, I am not a morning person. I am not to be approached at work until at least 10:30 am. Early mornings and me, don't agree. But I digress.

I usually play between 1 and 3:30 pm, and I find that the rounds go much quicker, not to mention they cost me a heck of a lot less.

I know most will say "Well I have things to do, so I get the golf in early." To which I'd say, do them, and then go play. I'd much rather do what I have to do and then go play, so when I'm done I can just relax. Rather than play and then while I'm coming down the stretch be thinking "Man, when I'm done, I still have to do this and this...." when all I really want to do is shower and rest.

26

#657 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,067 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 3883

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

I play golf better and enjoy it more when it's later in the day. Unfortunately, for me that means playing solo. I have never in a quarter century of golf been able to hook up with a group who plays later than 10am.

So I play once or twice a week solo at my preferred time but just knuckle under and play with my morning buddies the rest of the time.
Engaged in the eternal search for the elusive Swedish meatball cores...

27

#658 marmooskapaul

marmooskapaul

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13039
  • Joined: 03/05/2006
  • Location:Indiana
GolfWRX Likes : 423

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 14 August 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

I play golf better and enjoy it more when it's later in the day. Unfortunately, for me that means playing solo. I have never in a quarter century of golf been able to hook up with a group who plays later than 10am.

So I play once or twice a week solo at my preferred time but just knuckle under and play with my morning buddies the rest of the time.

That's weird...everyone I play with works and has to play after 3/4:00 and we always play afternoons on the weekend too. All the retired guys play in the morning.

28

#659 golfer07840

golfer07840

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433524
  • Joined: 07/21/2016
  • Location:Northwest NJ
  • Handicap:16.4
GolfWRX Likes : 475

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:13 PM

View Postuitar9, on 23 June 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

View PostGolfnuck, on 19 June 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

View Postkizell, on 18 June 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

This is a great topic

I don't think golf is dying but it is certainly changing.

There are younger people wanting to play golf than ever before, but almost none of them have resources to join a private club like their parents.  Thus we will see a shift from dying private links to improved public trails.

Golf technology has kind of priced out manufactures.  I've been using the same clubs I bought in 2009 with no need for changes.  Most of us are not going to spend that much money when the advancement is minimal.

Golf course design is also changing with lower revenues being collecting.  Architects are now designing courses with little tree cover to make maintenance easier

Just my 2 cents

"There are younger people wanting to play golf than ever before, but almost none of them have resources to join a private club like their parents." - Isn't this the case for all generations? I am a Generation X'r. When I was under 35 I certainly did not have the resources to join a private club. Even if I had the resources I certainly did not have the time to golf on a regular basis. Raising kids and moving ahead in my career dominated almost 100% of my time. It should be normal that younger person would have less financial resources than their parents?

As a part of my work I read a lot of marketing research. While most of them are "BS" there is a common theme and that is to watch what the "boomers" desire or need.

The boomers have a significant impact on everything. IMHO they had a bigger impact on golf popularity and the build up of courses than Tiger Woods.

My personal opinion only but I think we will see a surge in Private Memberships when the Millennials reach their 40's and 50's. Millennials will acquire a massive amount of wealth when their boomer parents or grand parents (older boomers) pass away. It is kinda like an echo of the impact of the boomers.

I like this: Boomers vs Tiger

Those millennial are a big group. Many industries are going to benefit/rebound/be created from that life cycle.



Ain't this the truth? I have seen a bunch of Applebees and Macaroni Grill's close around me here in the northeast. Why? Because Millenial's prefer places like Chipotles and Shake Shake. And those business are flourishing, to the say the least.

Golf is no different. More and more at the local muni course, I'm seeing millennials. And sure, occasionally I hear music from a golf cart. You know what? Times have changed. People need to be entertained 24/7 these days. Nothing you can do about it.

29

#660 golfer07840

golfer07840

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433524
  • Joined: 07/21/2016
  • Location:Northwest NJ
  • Handicap:16.4
GolfWRX Likes : 475

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:38 PM

View Poststlouismark, on 14 August 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

Tweet from Darren Rovell:

http://twitter.com/d...094160095858688

Masters - worst ratings since 2004

US Open - 2nd worst ratings of all time

British Open - final round lost to the fvcking Brickyard 400

PGA - worst ratings since 2008

A lot of people are cutting cords and are watching these thru other means. I don't know if those ratings take those watching via a stream into consideration.

But if you look at every TV show, EVERY RATING is down. You're considered a hit TV show if you can muster up a 5 rating.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors