Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

long putter putting technique

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 powerball

powerball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31263
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:22 PM

Hi, I have just recently acquired a 2 ball long putter. Not sure how to hold with the right hand. Anyone got any tips or links of pics? Not sure what to do with the right middle finger, and the direction of placement of the index finger. Currently have tried the right index finger: on top over the grip, and to the side of the grip(sorry if not making much sense).

How do you hold your long putter?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 golf9596

golf9596

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,419 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 884
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:01 PM

Switched to the long wand a number of years ago do to the YIPS...I found that holding the putter in a traditional way still allowed the YIPS to show up. I used a claw grip, before anyone called it the claw, LOL. First and second fingers on top of the shaft and the third and forth under the shaft and use the shoulders. All general putting techniques still apply, head still, eyes over the ball, square stance and stay still. You will need to practice the long putts to get a feel for how hard to hit them. I would recomend chipping from a long distance, when you are just off the green, I had more consistent results. If you are pulling and pushing your putts, check the length of your putter. I'm 5'8 and am using it at 46 inches. This allows me to be more consistant w/my set up. Good luck and stay with it, it will be very frustrating at first and your buddies will bust your ba$$s for a while, but when they start paying you after every round that will stop.
SLDR 12*- Attas 3-S
TEE CB 15.5 661-X
Adams A7 19* Hybrid-Proforce-S
Adams DHY 24*, Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5-G
Scotty Newport Button Back….….
Vokey 54*, Vokey 58* SM5

#3 Grimace45

Grimace45

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9615
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

I switched to the long putter a few years back and have stuck with it for the most part.  I tend to use the "claw" grip most of the time unless the greens are really slow then I try and get more of my palm in the putter grip.  The nice part about using a long putter is that there is really no right or wrong way to use it and I have very rarely seen two people that putt with it the same way.  Use whatever grip is comfortable and gets the ball in the hole the best.

#4 reebus

reebus

Still trying to learn the game...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2527
  • Ebay ID:MIKEREEBUS

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:39 AM

Another "Yipster" here.  I have used a Broomstick almost exclusively for well over 15 years.  I agree with the others concerning the multitude of grips that can be used.  The only one that doesn't work at all for me is any sort of position with the right hand that resembles a "traditional" or "standard" grip.  The Yips can still show up as others have said.

I personally like the grip with the Thumb on the underside and the Index and middle fingers
on the top of the shaft.  This helps me get the putter started back straight.  

Good luck with your experiment.  These thing require a LOT of practice to get comfortable
with.

#5 nickflaim

nickflaim

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45322
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:44 AM

I fiddle with a long putter from time to time......and the guy who taught me how to use it, said "Whatever way you want to hold it, that is the grip that will work best for you" I personally hold it in the crevis between my thumb and forefinger.....with my forefinger running down the shaft and my thumb behind the shaft.

Nick

#6 camjam

camjam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7715

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

I have been playing a 50" long putter for a couple of years and find the best way to hold it is into my chest with left hand thumb on top, right hand uses a claw grip between thumb and fore finger and let right arm fully extended gripping lower on grip this stops a chicken wing look and provides a smooth swing.  Nice thing about the long puter it takes a lot of movements out of the putting stroke sued with a short putter.  good luck! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors