Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Roadking's Tools of the Trade

Taylormade Titleist Hzrdus Nippon Ping RTX-3 Xenon Epic Cobra VA Composites Raijin

236 replies to this topic

#211 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3778

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:09 AM

Raijin...

GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60 - 47" (animal)
Epic SZ 3+ - Tensei Pro Orange 70 - 44"
Epic 3H - Recoil
MP18 Combo 4-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
Odyssey Black 7s-Tank-34"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#212 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:01 AM

 Bomber_11, on 10 September 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

That's a gorgeous set of shafts.....

My $ is on the Oban!
Thats what she said.....

 Warrick, on 11 September 2017 - 05:09 AM, said:

Raijin...
All jokes aside, I was actually quite shocked. In initial test, I took all 3 to the range. Just started hitting shots with all 3. Hit 5 or 6 with each one, just trying to get an idea of what each was doing, comparing the feel, ballfight etc.

The Oban Tour Limited performed the worst of the bunch for me. Not quite how I remembered it feeling or playing before, but it just didn't feel right. All play 45"-45.25", are all untipped, and all 70g+ X flex weight class. The Oban seemed to spin and ballon out, and drop about 15 yards short of everything else. Just felt off to me.

So I basically pulled the Oban out of the race at this point. I had seen enough of what they could do. The Raijin and the TP 7x were performing similarly enough that it was going to be a preference call that this point.

So Continued to work these 2 to pick them apart. One really started to shine at this point. What I noticed was, the TP and the Raijin seemed to be launching in a similar window for me, which was perfect for what I am trying to acheive. But the Raijin surprisingly was spinning more. The TP was just hitting absolute bullets that were about 5 yards longer carry, but I was getting close to 15 yards total distance longer because it just kept rolling forward. The Raijin IMO feels better, but would see it go down range, then start to tail up at the end, and almost hit and die on the spot. TP would penetrate down range the entire time, hit and just bound forward. Our Range is kind of elevated tee (not really elevated, but enough to see where your ball hits and finishes with flags all the way out, and OB stakes down the left side of the chute, so it's really easy to get your distances figured out here.

Because I prefer the feel of the Raijin, I am going to start tipping it a little bit and see if I can knock some of the spin down.

I really thought there was no way the Raijin was getting knocked out, but I was really blown away by the TP in initial testing. Played a quick 9 last night with my dad and put the TP in play. Swing was off and we were just out screwing around, basically had the course to ourselves, so hit multiple shots off the tee, and approaches. I hit 8 or 9 really good shots with this driver. My favorite hole to practice tee shots on our course is number 8. It's a dog leg left, but there are so many ways to play it. Trees that kick out into the fairway at around 250 yards, so you can go left and cut it back over the dog leg, or aim middle and draw it around. Really just a fun tee shot. Up hill the whole way. I piped the middle of the fairway 4 out of 5 times all with different swings and different flights. 1 I just wiped and hit a weak slice trying to cut it over. But am really impressed.

Going to go out and check out the performance of the Raijin as is on the course, If I am not happy, I am going to try tipping it and keep working on it. If worst comes to worst, I have a driver that I could bag easily with the TP 7x. More to come............

2

#213 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:11 AM

Will try to get some pics up soon....but there have been some changes

Flirted with the AD TP 7x, but ended up going back to the Raijin. Just so consistent. It allows me to swing away without the fear of the big miss. I am confident in what I am getting. The spin is a touch higher for me based on flight, but I am getting more carry on good strikes, and over all longer total distance. It just fits. Will continue testing in the coming weeks and days left in the season. Just found out my VA SLAY is on the way so will throw this into the mix as well.

Grabbed some Vega wedges VW 02 in 52, 56, and 60. I couldn't get the lofts to work so I ended up ditching them for some VW 08 50 54 58 and the results have been really good so far. The 58* has become one of the best clubs in my bag. Still trying to figure out whether the 50 and 54 are good for me. I really liked the VW 02 grind, but the 52 just created too large of a gap between my PW. May keep the RTX 3 in those spots for now. I currently am playing the Vega's though.

Picked up 2 new putters and they are both gorgeous. Got a Byron 615 and Piretti Matera 2 365g (not the Rev 2.0, the smaller Matera 2). It's the blackout version plumbers neck and as sexy as the byron is, I seem to not be able to miss with the Matera. It's 34" (I am 6'5 so never considered a 34") but for some reason, it forces me to stand closer to the putter, bend more and my stroke just seems so stable. I still have the Oddysey 7s, but for the moment, I think the piretti is in the bag.  

I will try to find some time to get some pics up of the new additions.

3

#214 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:25 AM

Snapped a few pics last night

Byron 615:
20170921_212711.jpg
20170921_212719.jpg
20170921_212732.jpg

Piretti Matera 2:
20170921_212810.jpg
20170921_212819.jpg
20170921_212834.jpg
20170921_212843.jpg

Vega VW 08 50 54 58:
20170921_212919.jpg

4

#215 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

It has arrived
SLAY.jpg


5

#216 PeanutsDaddy

PeanutsDaddy

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,913 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133046
  • Joined: 07/14/2011
  • Location:ON, Canada ('South Detroit')
GolfWRX Likes : 21425

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:47 AM

Really enjoyed passing through your pages Roadking.
Cobra King F7 9*
Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)
Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)
Wishon 775hs 3 - 5
Wishon 560 - 6 - 7
Wishon 575mmc 8 - PW
Mac Custom Grind GW + LW (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

6

#217 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:35 AM

 PeanutsDaddy, on 30 September 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

Really enjoyed passing through your pages Roadking.
Thank you sir!

7

#218 PeanutsDaddy

PeanutsDaddy

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,913 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133046
  • Joined: 07/14/2011
  • Location:ON, Canada ('South Detroit')
GolfWRX Likes : 21425

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:43 AM

Any time Mr. Uselton.   Big fan of the ink, even though I don't sport any.
Cobra King F7 9*
Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)
Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)
Wishon 775hs 3 - 5
Wishon 560 - 6 - 7
Wishon 575mmc 8 - PW
Mac Custom Grind GW + LW (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

8

#219 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:47 AM

 PeanutsDaddy, on 30 September 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

Any time Mr. Uselton.   Big fan of the ink, even though I don't sport any.
Definitely gets looks on the course, but I don't really pay much attention. Small town, been golfing here since 7, member at sam3 club I grew up at. Everybody knows me and just is what it is. It's when I go elsewhere.

9

#220 PeanutsDaddy

PeanutsDaddy

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,913 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133046
  • Joined: 07/14/2011
  • Location:ON, Canada ('South Detroit')
GolfWRX Likes : 21425

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:02 AM

You'd fit right in at my home course.   All walks of life.  

Now that I've found the thread I'll tune in.

Cobra King F7 9*
Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)
Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)
Wishon 775hs 3 - 5
Wishon 560 - 6 - 7
Wishon 575mmc 8 - PW
Mac Custom Grind GW + LW (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#221 Davethegolfer

Davethegolfer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151705
  • Joined: 12/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:15 AM

 Roadking_6, on 30 September 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

It has arrived
SLAY.jpg
Looking forward to the review

11

#222 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

 Davethegolfer, on 02 October 2017 - 05:15 AM, said:

 Roadking_6, on 30 September 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

It has arrived
SLAY.jpg
Looking forward to the review
Busy weekend, but got out to the range for about an hour on Saturday.

Got loose, started hitting, and initial thoughts on the SLAY left me a little disappointed at first. I am a low launch/ high spin player by nature just due to negative AoA. Something I would like to improve but I just want to play what works for me. I don't have the time to dedicate to completely trashing my swing and starting over, so I just try to find some consistency. If 10* launch with 2800 rpm of spin is what I got, it is what it is. I just want to shoot the lowest score possible.

So I have had the Raijin in the bag for a few months now, and really like it a lot. Love the feel, gives me pretty good flight, and has been the most reliable for me that I have found. Thinking I could raise my launch a touch, the SLAY seemed to fit the bill. It definitely raised the launch and I feel like my spin went through the roof. Just based on what my eyes were seeing. Haven't jumped on the Launch monitor or anything. Thought the SLAY was going to last about 15 swings and then it would be outta here.

So I started messing with the Loft on my 10* G400 LST just to try to dial it in. Dropped it, flight started looking better, then cranked it all the way down to the -1.6*. Now I typically can't launch even 9.5 degree drivers. I have the speed, but I deloft and I launch even 12* drivers no higher than 10, so going to 8.4 (if it actually is that but for arguments sake, lets just say it is actually a 10* driver). Now the driver magically came to life. It essentially helped me open the face just a hair, I can swing hard without the fear of the left (yeah maybe it's mental) but I don't know if it is just a placebo or what but I then proceeded to hit bullets that Launched with ease at 8.4* head, didn't spin crazy and just flew. Distance appeared to be the same, feel was as good if not better than the Raijin, and I just hit this 5 yard cut all day.

Hoping to get to the course tonight to see actual performance with real balls. If I get the same performance I saw on the range, there may be a real contender. Dropping the loft down actually offset any negatives that I may typically see leaving it at stock. Seems to be a good pairing, higher launch shaft with the lower lofted head than I am used to.

Will update more after I get to the course.
Slay 1.jpg
Slay 2.jpg

12

#223 Davethegolfer

Davethegolfer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151705
  • Joined: 12/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:33 AM

 Roadking_6, on 02 October 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

 Davethegolfer, on 02 October 2017 - 05:15 AM, said:

 Roadking_6, on 30 September 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

It has arrived
SLAY.jpg
Looking forward to the review
Busy weekend, but got out to the range for about an hour on Saturday.

Got loose, started hitting, and initial thoughts on the SLAY left me a little disappointed at first. I am a low launch/ high spin player by nature just due to negative AoA. Something I would like to improve but I just want to play what works for me. I don't have the time to dedicate to completely trashing my swing and starting over, so I just try to find some consistency. If 10* launch with 2800 rpm of spin is what I got, it is what it is. I just want to shoot the lowest score possible.

So I have had the Raijin in the bag for a few months now, and really like it a lot. Love the feel, gives me pretty good flight, and has been the most reliable for me that I have found. Thinking I could raise my launch a touch, the SLAY seemed to fit the bill. It definitely raised the launch and I feel like my spin went through the roof. Just based on what my eyes were seeing. Haven't jumped on the Launch monitor or anything. Thought the SLAY was going to last about 15 swings and then it would be outta here.

So I started messing with the Loft on my 10* G400 LST just to try to dial it in. Dropped it, flight started looking better, then cranked it all the way down to the -1.6*. Now I typically can't launch even 9.5 degree drivers. I have the speed, but I deloft and I launch even 12* drivers no higher than 10, so going to 8.4 (if it actually is that but for arguments sake, lets just say it is actually a 10* driver). Now the driver magically came to life. It essentially helped me open the face just a hair, I can swing hard without the fear of the left (yeah maybe it's mental) but I don't know if it is just a placebo or what but I then proceeded to hit bullets that Launched with ease at 8.4* head, didn't spin crazy and just flew. Distance appeared to be the same, feel was as good if not better than the Raijin, and I just hit this 5 yard cut all day.

Hoping to get to the course tonight to see actual performance with real balls. If I get the same performance I saw on the range, there may be a real contender. Dropping the loft down actually offset any negatives that I may typically see leaving it at stock. Seems to be a good pairing, higher launch shaft with the lower lofted head than I am used to.

Will update more after I get to the course.
Slay 1.jpg
Slay 2.jpg
Very interesting. Keep us updated on how it (you) perform out on the course

13

#224 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

 Davethegolfer, on 03 October 2017 - 08:33 AM, said:

Very interesting. Keep us updated on how it (you) perform out on the course
Will do.....I played 4 balls last night on 3 holes and went to the range......I think I am just going through the end of year struggle. My swing feels like it's just falling apart. I go to the range and just stripe it, then to the course and whatever I am doing on the range, nothing is tranlating. I mean top to bottom of the bag, I just feel disgusted with the way I am swinging. Frustrated to say the least. I had a couple good shots, but nothing to speak of. All result of my swing.

I am supposed to go with my dad to Cali in January to work with Monte, but still working on time frame with him. Hopefully I can get some more rounds in before we start seeing snow here in Ohio.

14

#225 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:22 AM

First Post updated. Ended up getting some Miura CB57 because the deal was too good to pass. Nowhere around me to test them so why not.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image


15

#226 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:20 AM

Few New Items Into Testing.

Been back and forth with my driving the past few months, really it's all on me but looking for a way to get somewhat consistent. Tensei Pro Orange 70tx and inital thoughts are very very good. Will take a little time to dial it in. It's a D0 swingweight right now at 45.5" so I am gonna lead tape it up and either hot melt or change the wieght once I figure out if it's a keeper. So far so good, even at D0. Very low spin which I need, and very consistent and straight. May put up a White 70tx, or a KK DC 70tx up against it for fun.



Also 2 new putters, DH 89 and Betti QB8 Custom Refinished in Black OX. The QB8 may hit the block, for some reason my distance control is off and I don't really square the face that well, but the DH89 is in contention to be my full time gamer next year and beyond. Just love the look and feel of this putter. It's 34" and shorter than anything I am used to but I have putted better than I have in a long time with this one. I planned to extend it to 35", but honestly I am scared to touch anything......just kind of puts all the parameters into a perfect balance for me. Great lag putting which is where I struggle, see the lines really well and amazing feel.

Tensei Orange Ping.jpg
Tensei Orange.jpg
DH 89 Cavity.jpg
Dh 89 Face.jpg
DH 89 Sole.jpg
QB8 Cavity.jpg




16

#227 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3778

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:22 AM

The more I see that G400 head, the more I want to try one.
GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60 - 47" (animal)
Epic SZ 3+ - Tensei Pro Orange 70 - 44"
Epic 3H - Recoil
MP18 Combo 4-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
Odyssey Black 7s-Tank-34"

17

#228 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:30 AM

 Warrick, on 23 October 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

The more I see that G400 head, the more I want to try one.
Do it! At least hit it somewhere. I felt like that about the 917d3 so I just said heck with it and bought one too. I was gonna put the Raijin in there but when I went to install it, realized I didn't have an adapter that I thought was there. So now I am on the hunt for a 917 adapter to go head to head.

G400 is honestly really really good. Just gotta get the right shaft for you.....I struggle with High spin because I hit down. I put the Tensei Orange in there and it has drastically reduced spin. Ballflight is in about the perfect window for me. I would say I typically hover around 10* launch with 2800-3000 rpm spin on good strikes, so when i am off a bit, I just see ballooning and shots peeling off hard to the right. I would say this is a little lower launch and visually noticably lower spin for me so I am actually seeing rollout now even with the course being softer. I think I am getting closer to what I need.

18

#229 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3778

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

I would probably just try the stock shaft, seems it may not be that different than the T800 55.
GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60 - 47" (animal)
Epic SZ 3+ - Tensei Pro Orange 70 - 44"
Epic 3H - Recoil
MP18 Combo 4-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
Odyssey Black 7s-Tank-34"

19

#230 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:05 AM

So picked up a few new toys to test out....Got a Kuro Kage Dual Core 80TX Tipped 1" to throw in a Rapture 13*.........but the shaft was driver length (44.5") so figured why not test it in the G400 first.

Last night got on course and it was pretty solid, but ultimately I like to play my driver over 45". SW was off, and didn't want to put a bunch of time tinkering with it because the initial plan was to go into the Rapture. Went up against the Tensei Pro Orange 70TX and the Orange was better for me so far........Kuro Kage Dual Core 70TX is en route to go against the Orange 70TX

Orange DC80TX.jpg
DC 80TX G400.jpg

Came home from the course and built this last night.......
Rapture DC 80TX.jpg


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#231 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:13 AM

Testing Time

20171107_174443.jpg

VA Composites Raijin Black Proto 65x (71g)
Kuro Kage Dual Core 70TX
Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
VA Composites Raijin 74x

I played the Raijin for the better part of the season and is a fantastic shaft. Great feel and distance, but spin got a little high when I stepped on it. So I tipped it an inch to continue testing.

KK DC70TX I am waiting for an adapter for so it was excluded last night, along with the Raijin which was curing.

Tensei Pro Orange vs the VA Raijin Black

Both very very good shafts, but it comes down to one fact..PO is counterbalanced and the black is not. Numbers were very similar for me, feel goes to the raijin but the PO even at 45.25" is D0.....without having the time or resources to continue to change headweight and mess with it, I just feel like I lose the feel of the head and really pull across the ball with a closed faced. When centered and straight, the ball flies off the face with the PO, but I just struggle to find the consistency because of the low swing weight. I have tried a number of CB shafts in the past and they always end up being stupid long, but control seems to be my issue.

So the Tensei is out for now........

Raijin Black Proto is phenomenal, low spin and low launch, great feel and really consisistent for me in my first run with it. I can't wait to go head to head with the KK DC 70TX (had the 60 before and much prefer something in the 70g+ weight range. I am even more excited for this test because I hit the Rapture 13* Fairway last night with the KK DC 80TX and it was so close to my driver numbers, I may not even need a driver next year.

Ball speed in the 160 range, getting avg Carry of around 275 and 290 total with a fairway wood. I was around 295 carry and 315 total with the Driver, but will gladly sacrafice that 20 or so yards to hit more fairways......I cannot wait to get that combo on the course.......this weekend.

20171107_200109.jpg
20171107_202458.jpg

21

#232 Wardonation

Wardonation

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107035
  • Joined: 04/28/2010
  • Handicap:+2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:56 PM

 Roadking_6, on 08 November 2017 - 08:13 AM, said:

Testing Time

20171107_174443.jpg

VA Composites Raijin Black Proto 65x (71g)
Kuro Kage Dual Core 70TX
Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
VA Composites Raijin 74x

I played the Raijin for the better part of the season and is a fantastic shaft. Great feel and distance, but spin got a little high when I stepped on it. So I tipped it an inch to continue testing.

KK DC70TX I am waiting for an adapter for so it was excluded last night, along with the Raijin which was curing.

Tensei Pro Orange vs the VA Raijin Black

Both very very good shafts, but it comes down to one fact..PO is counterbalanced and the black is not. Numbers were very similar for me, feel goes to the raijin but the PO even at 45.25" is D0.....without having the time or resources to continue to change headweight and mess with it, I just feel like I lose the feel of the head and really pull across the ball with a closed faced. When centered and straight, the ball flies off the face with the PO, but I just struggle to find the consistency because of the low swing weight. I have tried a number of CB shafts in the past and they always end up being stupid long, but control seems to be my issue.

So the Tensei is out for now........

Raijin Black Proto is phenomenal, low spin and low launch, great feel and really consisistent for me in my first run with it. I can't wait to go head to head with the KK DC 70TX (had the 60 before and much prefer something in the 70g+ weight range. I am even more excited for this test because I hit the Rapture 13* Fairway last night with the KK DC 80TX and it was so close to my driver numbers, I may not even need a driver next year.

Ball speed in the 160 range, getting avg Carry of around 275 and 290 total with a fairway wood. I was around 295 carry and 315 total with the Driver, but will gladly sacrafice that 20 or so yards to hit more fairways......I cannot wait to get that combo on the course.......this weekend.

20171107_200109.jpg
20171107_202458.jpg
What is your driver SS? I play the XT 60 TX and I am at 108. I am eyeballing the new Synergy though?

22

#233 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

 Wardonation, on 08 November 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

What is your driver SS? I play the XT 60 TX and I am at 108. I am eyeballing the new Synergy though?
Right around 120+ or - 1-2 when I am warmed up and swinging on range....I would say on course closer to 117 on course.........I was hovering around 119 last night in the sim and haven't swung a club in a couple weeks.

That Synergy looks promising

I had the 60tx KK DC XT and just needed some weight but the 80TX in the rapture is so good.

Can't wait to test the 70TX against that Proto on course

23

#234 Gtyler14

Gtyler14

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442830
  • Joined: 10/08/2016
  • Location:Va
  • Handicap:2.2
  • Ebay ID:Repsol_rr
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

So that 80TX is treating you well I see?
Nike vapor flex 9.5 fubuki j 70x tipped 3/4 44"
Tour issue TM m1 3wd 14.5 Diamana d+ 80x tipped 1/2 42.5
Tour issue TM m1 5wd 19.5 fujikura atmos black 8x tipped 1/2 41.75
TM M2 lift 2 iron 16 fujikura atmos black hybrid 9x tipped 1/2 39.75
TM 750 tour Proto 4-pw tour issue x100
TM milled grind 56 x100
TM tour ef 60 x100
Nike method 001
Scotty Cameron select Newport 2

24

#235 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:19 PM

 Gtyler14, on 13 November 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

So that 80TX is treating you well I see?
I threw it in the Rapture 13* and really liked it in the sim.

So I got outside yesterday..........

I absolutely nutted one with driver left myself about 50 yards out and was just in the left side of the fairway. So I reload and grab the Rapture and smoke one down the right. The following picture was the result.

Note: This is a side view

There was literally 1 yard of separation between driver and 3 wood.
Ping G400LST 10* with Kuro Kage Dual Core 70TX Untipped
Ping Rapture 13* with Kuro Kage Dual Core 80TX Tipped 1"

It's a serious consideration to go Stenson next year just hit a strong 3 wood off every tee.
20171112_104637.jpg

Edited by Roadking_6, 13 November 2017 - 01:19 PM.


25

#236 youngunz5840

youngunz5840

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120775
  • Joined: 01/19/2011
  • Location:San Jose CA
GolfWRX Likes : 308

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:59 AM

Dooooo it!!! The rapture is a pure beast
Cobra LTD Pro Elements Chrome 6f5t
Taylormade M2 3HL Aldila Rogue Silver 70x
Either Callaway XR 5w S+ 70x or Ping G30 3H
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4,5 tour 6-P KBS tour C taper lite X
Nike Engage 50 54 60 with X100 tiger stepped
Nike Method Origin B201 35"

Nike RZN Tour Black Volt

26

#237 Roadking_6

Roadking_6

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405706
  • Joined: 12/14/2015
  • Location:Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Roadking_6
GolfWRX Likes : 1275

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:51 AM

 youngunz5840, on 14 November 2017 - 02:59 AM, said:

Dooooo it!!! The rapture is a pure beast
Agreed!

It's showing signs of just being a monster. That shot was taken on a 360 yard hole and both those balls were 50 yards to center of the green. It's wet here in ohio and cold. So if I can hit 310 with a 3 wood ( I know I know, this is WRX after all) I am in. I really think it all boils down to it just optimizes my launch more than anything. The KKDC80TX Tipped 1" brings the spin down for me.

Because I typically launch my 10* driver under 10* by delofting and a negative AoA, I should probably be playing a HL driver in the 12* range, but when I do my spin gets out of control and the ball just shoots out low and balloons. I just have a hard time finding combo's that work for me because they all either launch too low or they spin too much and finding a balance is hard. I know I am not utilizing my speed.

Hopefully I am going to work with Monte in California this January with my dad and brother (still waiting for confirmation from pops) to help get my swing back to where it was

27



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors