Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

TaylorMade Shaft Adapter Compatibility


45 replies to this topic

#1 Jer-Jer

Jer-Jer

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9650
  • Joined: 01/11/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:12 PM

Can anyone explain what TM shaft adapters work with what clubs?  I know this is a bit of a broad question, but TM comes out with drivers so often I am not sure "what fits what."  Was there a certain model or model year where every model that came after that one TM made all the shaft adapters the same?  Thanks in advance.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 SwooshLT

SwooshLT

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5901
  • Joined: 09/09/2005
  • Location:Loxahatchee,FL
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1330

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:15 PM

Rbz stage 2,jetspeed, sldr,r15,m1 use the new tips.....anything prior shared same

2

#3 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6682

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:15 AM

View PostSwooshLT, on 06 June 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

Rbz stage 2,jetspeed, sldr,r15,m1 use the new tips.....anything prior shared same

Add R1 to that list (and M2)

It was the year they released the  R1, RBZ stage 2  that they changed to the newer current adapter design.

Edited by Stuart G., 07 June 2016 - 04:16 AM.


3

#4 Jer-Jer

Jer-Jer

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9650
  • Joined: 01/11/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for the replies.  Does anyone know why the adapters look different though?  Like the SLDR adapter may fit an M2 driver, but it is certainly not the same looking tip.

4

#5 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6682

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

The R1 was different because they decided to add the loft numbers to the ferrule.  There have been different versions that were all metal so no issues melting the ferrule when pulling and re-using (usually tour issue).   Other than that, who knows why they changed the styling from time to time.


5

#6 Circaflex

Circaflex

    Well, I gotta go now. Iíve got a lotta bounciní to do!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 360919
  • Joined: 02/03/2015
  • Location:Orange County, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:39 AM

sorry to bump such an old thread, but it is exactly what I want to know. I have an R15 now, can I just swap heads over to one of the older m1's or m2's or, essentially what is the newest head I can just swap to?
I play a mish-mash of brands and am an avid Arccos user.
GHIN: 2719293

6

#7 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6682

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:32 AM

That was answered - but to clarify, yes you can.

7

#8 IsleOfMan

IsleOfMan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138830
  • Joined: 09/09/2011
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 555

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

Adams XTD should be added to the list compatible with the newer adapters.  XTD Ti Fairway and Hybrid are compatible with the respective adapters there too.

Edited by IsleOfMan, 19 January 2017 - 11:06 AM.

Cobra King F8+ Driver 10.5* |  Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S
Cobra King F8 3/4w 14.5*  |  Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S
Cobra King F8 5/6w 17.5*  |  
Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S
Cobra King F8 4h 22*  |  Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S
Cobra Bio Cell + 5i - Gw  |  TT Dynalite Gold XP S300
Cobra King WideLow 56*  & 60* |  TT Dynamic Gold S200
Cleveland TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB Putter  |  35" Counterbalance
Ogio OZone Cart  |  Ogio Shredder Stand
  |  Orlimar Pitch & Putt Stand

8

#9 Circaflex

Circaflex

    Well, I gotta go now. Iíve got a lotta bounciní to do!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 360919
  • Joined: 02/03/2015
  • Location:Orange County, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

View PostStuart G., on 19 January 2017 - 03:32 AM, said:

That was answered - but to clarify, yes you can.
Thanks Stuart G., I was a little confused but reading the previous answer sure did mention it. Thanks though, I am pretty excited I can grab an m1 or m2 head and just drop it in. Thank you again.
I play a mish-mash of brands and am an avid Arccos user.
GHIN: 2719293

9

#10 Mookie91

Mookie91

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47817
  • Joined: 02/02/2008
  • Location:Oswego, NY
  • Handicap:8.1
  • Ebay ID:golfmookie
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

Bump. Got a deal on an R15 shaft and would like to get a 2017 M2 head, compatible adapter?

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 915F 16.5 Fujikura Pro 93 TS X
Titleist 910H 19 Fujikura Speeder 904 X
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Brizam

Brizam

    #theWRX

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 817 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117043
  • Joined: 11/04/2010
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 627

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:05 PM

View PostMookie91, on 09 September 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

Bump. Got a deal on an R15 shaft and would like to get a 2017 M2 head, compatible adapter?

Yes you're good to go.

Edited by Brizam, 09 September 2017 - 10:05 PM.


Instagram

11

#12 Bobcatwong

Bobcatwong

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97738
  • Joined: 11/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

I have an older RBZ stage 1 driver (2012). Matrix Ozik XCon shaft.  I'd like to get a 2016 M2 driver head.  Would the 2012 Matrix shaft adaptor be compatibile with the 2016 M2 head?

thanks

12

#13 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6682

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:05 PM

View PostBobcatwong, on 12 October 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

I have an older RBZ stage 1 driver (2012). Matrix Ozik XCon shaft.  I'd like to get a 2016 M2 driver head.  Would the 2012 Matrix shaft adaptor be compatibile with the 2016 M2 head?

thanks

Sorry no.  TM transitioned to the newer adapter design with the RBZ stage 2 - so stage 1 is not compatable with the newer heads.

13

#14 jmac13

jmac13

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55800
  • Joined: 05/14/2008
  • Location:Guntersville, AL
GolfWRX Likes : 224

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

I’m LH and just picked up an M2. I have only owned Callaway drivers since the advent of interchangeable shafts/heads. So, I have a couple questions with regards to TM:

1) Are TM tips that are RH backwards compatible like Callaway?

2) How do you determine the lofts from an R1 shaft to an M2 9.5 head? What was the loft on the R1?

14

#15 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6682

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

View Postjmac13, on 14 January 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

I’m LH and just picked up an M2. I have only owned Callaway drivers since the advent of interchangeable shafts/heads. So, I have a couple questions with regards to TM:

1) Are TM tips that are RH backwards compatible like Callaway?

2) How do you determine the lofts from an R1 shaft to an M2 9.5 head? What was the loft on the R1?

1. Yes.

2. The R1 was based on a 10.0* head and the r1 adapter was +/- 2* - so each 'notch' adds ~2/3* (the labels are rounded numbers, not exactly accurate).


15

#16 MoaningM

MoaningM

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Joined: 01/20/2008
  • Location:Wales UK
  • Handicap:Scr
GolfWRX Likes : 492

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:42 PM

Quick question, will an adaptor and shaft used in a m2 2016 driver fit into a m1 3 wood?

Cheers

16

#17 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6682

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:20 AM

View PostMoaningM, on 19 January 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

Quick question, will an adaptor and shaft used in a m2 2016 driver fit into a m1 3 wood?

Cheers

Yes.

17

#18 MoaningM

MoaningM

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Joined: 01/20/2008
  • Location:Wales UK
  • Handicap:Scr
GolfWRX Likes : 492

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:25 AM

View PostStuart G., on 20 January 2018 - 04:20 AM, said:

View PostMoaningM, on 19 January 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

Quick question, will an adaptor and shaft used in a m2 2016 driver fit into a m1 3 wood?

Cheers

Yes.

Thank you Stuart.

18

#19 MoaningM

MoaningM

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Joined: 01/20/2008
  • Location:Wales UK
  • Handicap:Scr
GolfWRX Likes : 492

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:27 AM

View PostStuart G., on 20 January 2018 - 04:20 AM, said:

View PostMoaningM, on 19 January 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

Quick question, will an adaptor and shaft used in a m2 2016 driver fit into a m1 3 wood?

Cheers

Yes.

Am I also correct in thinking that butt trimming a driver down will create a 3 wood of a similar play flex to the driver?

Cheers once again appreciate the responses.

19

#20 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6682

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

View PostMoaningM, on 20 January 2018 - 04:27 AM, said:

Am I also correct in thinking that butt trimming a driver down will create a 3 wood of a similar play flex to the driver?

Cheers once again appreciate the responses.

Depends on what you do with the head weight.   As the head weight goes up (e.g. using an actual 3wd head or adding weight to the driver to adjust SW for the shorter length), it can potentially soften up the shaft a little bit and may need a little bit of tipping to compensate.   Most shaft manufacturers recommend some tipping for 3wd use.  But everyone and every shaft is different.

Also depends on where the shaft came from.  Most TM factory installed adapters for driver shafts already have the shaft tipped 1" (which is really an excessive amount even for a 3wd).

Edited by Stuart G., 20 January 2018 - 08:22 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 MoaningM

MoaningM

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Joined: 01/20/2008
  • Location:Wales UK
  • Handicap:Scr
GolfWRX Likes : 492

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:27 AM

Thank you Stuart

I have a blank shaft at the moment and want to try it on my driver initially and if that doesn't fit pop it in my 3 wood and was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the adaptor.

I believe the adaptors are one and the same in the taulormade m series for 16-17 can anyone confirm if it's the same for the new 18 model as well?

Edited by MoaningM, 26 January 2018 - 03:31 AM.


21

#22 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6682

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:23 AM

 MoaningM, on 26 January 2018 - 03:27 AM, said:

Thank you Stuart

I have a blank shaft at the moment and want to try it on my driver initially and if that doesn't fit pop it in my 3 wood and was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the adaptor.

I believe the adaptors are one and the same in the taulormade m series for 16-17 can anyone confirm if it's the same for the new 18 model as well?

Well depends on why it potentially didn't work in the driver.   If it didn't work because it's too soft, then you'll likely need to do some tipping to use it in the 3wd as it will only play even more soft in the heavier head.   But the tipping recommendations are only that, recommendations.  Nothing wrong with trying it out in the 3wd w./o doing any tipping.  I'd just recommend leaving some an extra 1" longer then you normally would play the 3wd and test it choking up on the club.  That way you'll leave the room you need to do the tipping if it turns out too soft in the 3wd.

Pretty sure they haven't changed the adapter design for '18 models.  Just realize that some of the fairways (e.g. m2 and m4) no longer use an adapter.

22

#23 London-HH

London-HH

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 301037
  • Joined: 03/10/2014
  • Location:Germany
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:33 AM

newbie mistake - post below

Edited by London-HH, 27 February 2018 - 04:36 AM.


23

#24 London-HH

London-HH

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 301037
  • Joined: 03/10/2014
  • Location:Germany
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:34 AM

 Stuart G., on 20 January 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

 MoaningM, on 20 January 2018 - 04:27 AM, said:

Am I also correct in thinking that butt trimming a driver down will create a 3 wood of a similar play flex to the driver?

Cheers once again appreciate the responses.

Depends on what you do with the head weight.   As the head weight goes up (e.g. using an actual 3wd head or adding weight to the driver to adjust SW for the shorter length), it can potentially soften up the shaft a little bit and may need a little bit of tipping to compensate.   Most shaft manufacturers recommend some tipping for 3wd use.  But everyone and every shaft is different.

Also depends on where the shaft came from.  Most TM factory installed adapters for driver shafts already have the shaft tipped 1" (which is really an excessive amount even for a 3wd).

Hi Stuart,
you say: Most TM factory installed adapters for driver shafts already have the shaft tipped 1"

Does this also apply to the after-market shafts or just for the off-the-shelf models? This could explain why Ive always hated my RBZ Stage2 Driver - no head feel. Ive just bought a pulled Diamana Blueboard with TM adapter on eBay and now Im concerned that this will also have been tipped.

Thanks

24

#25 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6682

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:35 AM

 London-HH, on 27 February 2018 - 04:34 AM, said:

Hi Stuart,
you say: Most TM factory installed adapters for driver shafts already have the shaft tipped 1"

Does this also apply to the after-market shafts or just for the off-the-shelf models? This could explain why Ive always hated my RBZ Stage2 Driver - no head feel. Ive just bought a pulled Diamana Blueboard with TM adapter on eBay and now Im concerned that this will also have been tipped.

Thanks

It mostly applies to the custom upgrade shafts and (later) any stock shaft that were not a TM proprietary shaft - but only since about 2013  (SLDR release and later and maybe some of the R1 orders).   Also, I haven't seen any evidence that they did that with the RBZ stage 2 shafts,  or the Jetspeeds (or Aeroburners for that matter).  But there is still a lot of confusion about when exactly they started and in what models.

So more details on the history of that blueboard might be needed but if it's an original blueboard, it might have been from before they started doing that tipping even if it was a TM factory installed shaft.   However, if it is a pull and has a TM adapter - doesn't that imply that it was installed in something else before the TM adapter was added?

Edited by Stuart G., 27 February 2018 - 06:37 AM.


25

#26 00ogopogo

00ogopogo

    Poa Made Me an 8

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 402728
  • Joined: 11/12/2015
  • Handicap:x
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:37 PM

Stuart, is the tipping done to help reduce breakage...warranty?

 Stuart G., on 20 January 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

 MoaningM, on 20 January 2018 - 04:27 AM, said:

Am I also correct in thinking that butt trimming a driver down will create a 3 wood of a similar play flex to the driver?

Cheers once again appreciate the responses.

Depends on what you do with the head weight.   As the head weight goes up (e.g. using an actual 3wd head or adding weight to the driver to adjust SW for the shorter length), it can potentially soften up the shaft a little bit and may need a little bit of tipping to compensate.   Most shaft manufacturers recommend some tipping for 3wd use.  But everyone and every shaft is different.

Also depends on where the shaft came from.  Most TM factory installed adapters for driver shafts already have the shaft tipped 1" (which is really an excessive amount even for a 3wd).


26

#27 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6682

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:21 AM

No, it has no effect on the durability of the shaft.  To be perfectly honest, no one has a clue why they really do it.

27

#28 jbro200

jbro200

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499104
  • Joined: 04/14/2018
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:08 PM

I have an R1 shaft and have found a 10.5 degree M4 head I want to purchase. I have a few questions!

1. Will it fit?
2. What will be the loft in the standard sleeve position? (I believe it is 10 degrees)
3. How will this affect my face angle? (I'm assuming it'll be .5 degrees closed in the standard sleeve position)

Thanks!

28

#29 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6682

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:39 AM

 jbro200, on 14 April 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

I have an R1 shaft and have found a 10.5 degree M4 head I want to purchase. I have a few questions!

1. Will it fit?
2. What will be the loft in the standard sleeve position? (I believe it is 10 degrees)
3. How will this affect my face angle? (I'm assuming it'll be .5 degrees closed in the standard sleeve position)

Thanks!

1. Yes
2. 10.5*   - the labeling on the adapter assumes a 10* head.  So if you're using a 10.5* head, just add 1/2* to the lofts labeled on the adapter.   It will be no different from using a stock M4 adapter - the r1 adapter is only different in how it's labeled, not in how it works.
3.  It wont in the standard (10*) position.

Edited by Stuart G., 15 April 2018 - 04:42 AM.


29

#30 kobes31

kobes31

    EFF

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119127
  • Joined: 12/19/2010
  • Location:NWPA
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:33 PM

Wow I'm still REAL confused on this so I'm hoping somebody can clear up. I purchased a 2017 M1 440 head and, not knowing all this time about the different TM adapters bought this:
https://m.ebay.com/i...zMAAOSwqfNXianf

It adjusts 3 degrees.  I have already prefitted the adapter into the head and yes it appears to fit but can somebody assure me this will work?

Also I found this handy little chart for the 4 degree sleeves:
http://www.golfwrx.c...tach_id=4126600

Does somebody have this for the 3 degree sleeve?

Edited by kobes31, 28 April 2018 - 08:34 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors