Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 7 votes

Clubhouse Grille

fellowship good spirit

13177 replies to this topic

#8491 Reasonability

Reasonability

Mirror work is a good idea.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312661
GolfWRX Likes : 25670

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:57 PM

View PostWriggles, on 18 June 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

View Posttolmij, on 18 June 2017 - 08:08 AM, said:

My wife was checking our bank account this evening and noticed some money was missing. Somehow someone had obtained her card number and used it on line to buy goods.

Phoned the bank, 10,30 pm Sunday evening, card was cancelled immediately, new one in the post, and a gaurentee of all money to be refunded.

We use a local Australian bank rather than one of the large international set, always had good service.

I was driving to the shops with my son last year on a Saturday, when he had a call from the same bank. They asked him if he had just purchased something at a particular store, which he had, asked him where he was and then told him his card had been cancelled as someone had tried to pay a hotel bill in America with it. The bank alert system told them immediately about the two transactions half a world apart, and automatically cancelled his card. How's that for service.

Anyway, peed off as I have an intense dislike for thieves. They will be caught as the alert is already on its way to the UK police.

I had my identity stolen 7 or 8 years ago.  I got a letter from a credit card company confirming that I changed account information, which I didn't do.  I called and the credit card was cancelled, and told a replacement would be sent.  A month later, I called that I didn't receive the new card.  After the suspicion that I was the crook, I was transferred to the fraud department.  Personal passwords, etc. were all changed.

I was sent a packet of stuff to prove I WAS me.  Notarized stuff, copies of driver's license, etc.  The crooks even set up an email with my abbreviated name.  The character I talked to on the phone tried to sell me some kind of monthly protection thing.  I'm literally stunned that under the circumstances the card company tried to sell me fraud protection.

Anyhow, I didn't lose any money, no one actually used the fraudulent accounts set up.  But It was a lot of bull, trying to prove I was me.

Now, I only have one credit card, instead of 3 or 4.

This world is full of crooks.

Glad you and your son's situation worked out well.

I weep for the young people.

Wriggs,

I speak of it rarely here on the open board.  Suffice it to say - I totally relate my friend.  BTDT myself.  Wife's purse stolen - and we were off to the races.  To say it got messy (and costly) would be the understatement of the century.  Interesting how we could change our name easier than to change our SSI number - which is the very number a crook needs to ruin others.  Try explaining to a raft of creditors - "I didn't do it" when according to THEIR records you did.  Left me very skittish which is exactly why my name, my likeness, my address... no one online gets that stuff.  God bless those who do share such things - but it's kind of like food poisoning in an odd way.  Once you've been there you are very very careful for the rest of your life.

So sorry you had to go through that.  I truly understand the pain that goes with that. To this day - never sure when something else may pop-up.

A cynic sees the cost of everything
and the value of nothing.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#8492 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
GolfWRX Likes : 8963

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:37 PM

View PostReasonability, on 18 June 2017 - 09:43 PM, said:

View Postscomac2002, on 18 June 2017 - 07:51 PM, said:

View PostConrad1953, on 18 June 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

Koepka made some clutch putts. Those birdies on 14,15 and 16...stuff of champions.

A very worthy champion IMO.  I watched the back nine in its entirety and Koepka's performance reminded me of Schwartzel's march to the Master's championship in 2011.

Agree.  It just seemed easier for him today than it was for the pack. No way it was easy but he made it look easy if that makes sense.

His girlfriend was identified with an ex-girlfriend name when he walked off of 18 - which was a monster faux pas by the announcers. lol.

He tossed a little chum in the water in the post-interview by saying the biggest change in his game recently took place off the course and stated he would not comment.  That one may lead to the press digging under any/all rocks looking for dirt.  Hope not.  Performance-wise - that was awesome.

Yup.  That was an epic fail.  You think they would have been on top of that.  It's not like Koepka's victory was in extra holes.  They corrected it immediately, but to get it wrong in the first place kind of speaks to the need to fill bandwidth first and foremost without much thought as to what they're filling it with!

And I agree, he did make it look easy.  Heck, maybe it was.  Maybe he was the one guy in the zone as is often the case.  It's just another golf tournament and you never know in advance who will be that lucky guy/gal who finds the zone when it matters most on any given Sunday.  There's probably more randomness to the result than we like to admit if we're honest with ourselves.  Unfortunately our brains don't deal with randomness well.
Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

OGA miembro número catorce

#8493 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 10144

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:48 PM

Looking at BK up close on camera after the round, I was blown away with his physicality. He is stacked. He makes Day and DJ look like little girls. So guys, all you have to do to hit 320 drives is curl 80, bench 200, and have incredible flexibility. I'm gonna start on that tomorrow...
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

#8494 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:09 PM

The new and improved Thug is on the march!  LOL.  I'm still trying to get through MC's downward dog thing without popping a major artery.

In all seriousness - it's always been a personal belief (and probably a dead wrong one) that

A) we need flexibility a more than brute strength.  Tougher to play this game with tight ham strings, a stiff neck, locked-up rotator cuffs.... No???

B) actual "strength" component is clearly important to the long ball - but its even more important when it comes to feeling fresh coming down the stretch.

A "tired" swing (or pitch, or putt)  just isn't normally gong to produce a confident/consistent golf motion. Tough to even start the round well when the bod is tighter than dick's hat band.

#8495 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:18 PM

View Postscomac2002, on 18 June 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

View PostReasonability, on 18 June 2017 - 09:43 PM, said:

View Postscomac2002, on 18 June 2017 - 07:51 PM, said:

View PostConrad1953, on 18 June 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

Koepka made some clutch putts. Those birdies on 14,15 and 16...stuff of champions.

A very worthy champion IMO.  I watched the back nine in its entirety and Koepka's performance reminded me of Schwartzel's march to the Master's championship in 2011.

Agree.  It just seemed easier for him today than it was for the pack. No way it was easy but he made it look easy if that makes sense.

His girlfriend was identified with an ex-girlfriend name when he walked off of 18 - which was a monster faux pas by the announcers. lol.

He tossed a little chum in the water in the post-interview by saying the biggest change in his game recently took place off the course and stated he would not comment.  That one may lead to the press digging under any/all rocks looking for dirt.  Hope not.  Performance-wise - that was awesome.

Yup.  That was an epic fail.  You think they would have been on top of that.  It's not like Koepka's victory was in extra holes.  They corrected it immediately, but to get it wrong in the first place kind of speaks to the need to fill bandwidth first and foremost without much thought as to what they're filling it with!

And I agree, he did make it look easy.  Heck, maybe it was.  Maybe he was the one guy in the zone as is often the case.  It's just another golf tournament and you never know in advance who will be that lucky guy/gal who finds the zone when it matters most on any given Sunday.  There's probably more randomness to the result than we like to admit if we're honest with ourselves.  Unfortunately our brains don't deal with randomness well.

Amen.  The proverbial "zone".  Funny how all golfers court that mistress.  One of the funniest moments in the coverage was when one announcer said, "Sometimes you're the pigeon, and sometimes you're the statue." BK was squarely in pigeon mode - lol.

#8496 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:40 AM

He was definitely in the 'get TF out of my way' mode. I think the course was weak, but he took command and deserved the win leaving no room for doubt. Too bad Justin couldn't follow up his great round and make it interesting.

Edited by thug the bunny, 19 June 2017 - 12:41 AM.

The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

#8497 Gauchograd99

Gauchograd99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336355
  • Handicap:4.5
GolfWRX Likes : 4981

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:33 AM

View PostBIG STU, on 18 June 2017 - 05:16 AM, said:

View PostGauchograd99, on 18 June 2017 - 01:37 AM, said:

The US Open has forced my schedule a bit. Stepped out and hit some balls today even though I just got off the Cipro. No pain, so it looks like the tendons will survive. :)
Justin Thomas - WOW!
Rory and his mouth - Karma strikes hard, huh? NEVER say a thing about "if you can't (do "X") then you don't belong here." It will come back to bite ya.
Me - IF I can't hit all 18 GIR's and make each 1-putt I will have to do something else. (worth a shot)

Interesting tidbit for today. I got to hit the new Callaway Epic and Epic Pro irons. I will say this: If you want more distance and you have $2500 to burn, these clubs go like stink! HOWEVER, if you would like some spin with those irons you will be a sad panda. I hit my 7-iron about 160-165 (spin rate is 6600-7000) and my 6 iron is between 170 and 185 (5600-6200rpm)... longer when I am playing enough and shorter right now (160 and 175 respectively). The 7 iron from both EPIC sets went about 181 on the monitor... HOWEVER the spin was 4500 rpm. Couldn't get the ball up into the "acceptable" range. Not sure how I would ever hold a green with those bad boys playing in hard/fast conditions. Still, I would love to take them out for a round to see what happens... and then hand them back without handing over a credit card. :)

IF I can handle the heat (102 this week) I am running out to play a course in Corona I have never played even though my father knows the architect and could technically get me on for free! Later in the week, if my back will allow after playing the first, I am heading down to Carlsbad to play where the high on the same day as the 100+ will be ... 72. Welcome to California. 55 miles (by air) between and 30 degrees.

Place your bets on who wins... all my bets have choked out (I picked English, Kuchar, Sneds, Stricker, McDowell, and Wes Bryan... not feeling it for any of those left right now). Wouldn't mind Reed winning it, but without Johnny Miller there, we will not get an epic "shhhh!" to Johnny's face. :)
When you were talking about the new Cally irons I looked at your signature and you have one hell of a set of irons yourself ! Yeah I know about the hot faced distance irons.Those 2013 X forged are a little hotter than a blade Mac for sure and I had to get used to that but redid my trajectory some and with my cut and distance control I have learned to stop them. When I was doing R&D work for Championship Golf with the Infiniti brand of clubs they had a set of CB irons called Assure that were a CB 2 piece design with Carpenter Steel faces. Those damn things were HOT!! I actually had to put lead tape in the cavity to tone them down some. Do not know for sure if they were legal as far as COR was concerned but they sold and still are selling quite a few of them. One of the reasons even though i am carrying and can hit the Cally 3 and 4 irons I carry the little 22* hybrid. I can hit a high soft cut with the Rescue and stop it. I can hit the crap out of the Cally 3 and 4 irons and hit them high for my age and SS but can not stop them unless it is at maximun trajectory and the ball is falling out of the air. Now the rest of the irons I can stop and spin fine with my little cut

Yeah, my MB's would be "hot" for a blade, but since the loft is just about 1 degree stronger than my old blades, it isn't like the CB's of today. The Epic Pro's 7 iron is 31 degrees, my MB 7 iron is 35 (the 6 is 31), and the old TA1's 7 iron was 36 degrees. The TA1 7 iron was 150, the MB is 160-165 (I know it can do 170 but I haven't done that yet), and that Epic Pro was 181... yeah, that is YUGE! It is right about in line with my 6 iron, and so is the loft. Long story short: LOFT JACKING makes clubs longer. :)

I need to get in touch with my uncle and see if I can borrow his old Hogan Radials and see what the 6 and 7 iron do. Those are where I started, so I am curious what today's swing could do with the old school clubs.

Anyone else here use the Weather Channel App and compare it to TV and to the website? They are all the same people, but never the same value. The app says 97 for Tuesday in Corona, Ca. and the website says 102. Now, that may not sound like much, but it is key in deciding on whether or not I want to make a course review tee time or not. 102 and 35% humidity is nasty compared to 97. We don't do 60% humidity like the south, but still...
Razr-FIT Ext. 8.5deg, Black Tie (S)
XHotPro 13.5deg, stock stiff
TM Stage2Pro 18.5deg (set low), stiff. (Currently NOT in bag)
Cleveland TA1 1 iron (Currently NOT in bag)
Callaway Apex MB Steelfiber i110cw 3-PW
Mizuno MP-T4 (50/6)
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 54/10
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 58/8
Odyssey MXM #6 "Versa," 35in.
http://www.gamegolf....er/gauchograd99

Member of the OGA (Outlaw Golf Association) # 6.022*10^23

#8498 Fellaheen51

Fellaheen51

Go Green!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284154
GolfWRX Likes : 10580

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:45 AM

Prefer using Intellicast for general weather information on the laptop.  Good maps with overlays.  And their corresponding Storm app for the phone.  Also, use the NWS (NOAA) site for more detailed weather information.  Like when severe weather is approaching.  Info originates from nearby NOAA weather station.  Forecast for southern Cali..........To hot to do anything out-of-doors.  

http://www.intellica...cation=USMI0636
http://www.weather.gov

As for TV weather, never.  More style (cutesy weather gals) over substance around here.  I need details.  

You should give a revisit to the Radials, if for no other reason than you once had played them.  During your formative years.  Acquired a set of Radials (3 -SW) awhile back on the cheap ($12).  Had been intrigued by them.  Forged, GI blades (oxymoron?).  Fiddled around playing them a couple of times.  Can't say I was enamored.  Those soles.  Spent the last several years moving away from wide sole irons.  A very brief experiment.  Sold them off for a nice ROI.  The SW was OK in a "Sure Out" sort of way.  If you were to ever go "old school" Hogans, there are better options.  Not wanting to discourage.  As always, YMMV.

Edited by Fellaheen51, 19 June 2017 - 04:14 AM.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

#8499 Fellaheen51

Fellaheen51

Go Green!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:04 AM

The best laid plans.  Arrived home from the days activities about the time the leaders were making the turn.  Rather than start at the beginning, simply picked up from there.  Settled into the easy chair, reclined back to get comfortable.  Next thing I know, the tournament was over and I woke up to the telecast showing BK highlights.  Since he won sort of going away, not much excitement to DVR back and watch the action.  Turned of the telly and went to bed.  Doubt I'll go back and rewatch at this point.  Appears that BK was dominate and walked away from the field.

Done in by eating to much Walleye that the BIL perfectly prepared for dinner.  That's what "old guys" do (at least this one), sit down in the easy chair and immediately fall asleep.  Then wake-up in the middle of the night, start drinking coffee, and post crap on the internets.  Really need to readjust my sleep patterns.

#8500 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

American Bald Eagle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144465
GolfWRX Likes : 13084

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:53 AM

View Postthug the bunny, on 17 June 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

View PostSixtySomePing, on 17 June 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

Well I think we can work this out somehow this summer. Going with him to lessons meant going with him not sending him of course. He's working weekends and evenings and of course I work during the week. Not really sure how we would get together at a range as he won't be getting his license till this summer, but that might be a good way to start, I think the basics part I could do. Surprisingly no I don't have any extra clubs, weird huh? I mean just a wedge and driver but not a set.

Hey 60, I have a set of W/S Ci9 irons. I got them for ex-Mrs Thug about 7 years ago (before I realized she needed something short and light). Steel R flex TT shafts. Used maybe 1/2 season. They got decent reviews back then. Just let me know if you want them.

Sorry, I didn't mean to not answer this TTB, his other G'pa had clubs, he doesn't play any more. So we are pretty much off to the races after making some other slight logistical plans :)

So thanks so much for the offer!

Edited by SixtySomePing, 19 June 2017 - 04:53 AM.

Ping G 10* SFTec or G30 12* Alta Blue 55 Stiff Shaft Golf Pride MCC +4 Grip and/or
Tour 65 Stiff Shaft  Golf Pride MCC +4 Grip
Ping TiSi Tec 3 & 5 Wood S
Ping K15 7 Wood
Ping G15 4-PW Irons Golf Pride MCC +4 Grips
Vokey 48-6* 54-14*  58-10*  Wedges
Ping Anser 5 Milled Putter SuperStroke Fatso 5.0 CCT Grip
Snell My Tour Ball

Outlaw Golf Association #11
Senior Division-ha

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#8501 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:39 AM

View PostFellaheen51, on 19 June 2017 - 04:04 AM, said:

The best laid plans.  Arrived home from the days activities about the time the leaders were making the turn.  Rather than start at the beginning, simply picked up from there.  Settled into the easy chair, reclined back to get comfortable.  Next thing I know, the tournament was over and I woke up to the telecast showing BK highlights.  Since he won sort of going away, not much excitement to DVR back and watch the action.  Turned of the telly and went to bed.  Doubt I'll go back and rewatch at this point.  Appears that BK was dominate and walked away from the field.

Done in by eating to much Walleye that the BIL perfectly prepared for dinner.  That's what "old guys" do (at least this one), sit down in the easy chair and immediately fall asleep.  Then wake-up in the middle of the night, start drinking coffee, and post crap on the internets.  Really need to readjust my sleep patterns.

Welcome to my life!  :wacko:

#8502 Fellaheen51

Fellaheen51

Go Green!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:45 AM

View PostReasonability, on 18 June 2017 - 11:09 PM, said:

......In all seriousness - it's always been a personal belief (and probably a dead wrong one) that

A) we need flexibility a more than brute strength.  Tougher to play this game with tight ham strings, a stiff neck, locked-up rotator cuffs.... No???

B) actual "strength" component is clearly important to the long ball - but its even more important when it comes to feeling fresh coming down the stretch.

A "tired" swing (or pitch, or putt)  just isn't normally going to produce a confident/consistent golf motion. Tough to even start the round well when the bod is tighter than dick's hat band.

Absolutely concur with this Reason.  Especially for us "more seasoned" golfers.  

A.)  Starts with flexibility.  Can the body be able to deliver the motions required for a golf swing.  Pain and/or stiffness free.  The twisting of the lower back muscles, hip rotation, upper back and shoulders turning with extension.   Flexibility equates to range of motion equates to improved efficacy to deliver the clubhead at the desired location.   With the caveat that there are multiple other factors comprising a good swing.  But all require flexibility to the process.   Ever day perform various stretching exercises to try and maintain some degree of suppleness to my body motions.  Ever increasingly more important as we grow older.  This has nothing to do with pure strength.

B.) General state of golf condition.  For myself, it's the lower body, primarily the legs, that become fatigued.  When the base gets tired, the swing begins to break down quite rapidly.  Can feel it happening along about the 15th hole when "golf condition" is less than what it should be.  The platform becomes tired, the swing gets sloppy, lazy.  Especially notice this in the spring.  Haven't been out walking as much as I should during the winter months.  When the legs are in shape, can keep the rest functioning properly (other swing issues aside) for the duration of the round.  As you say, "feeling fresh coming down the stretch".

Don't believe that strength is an absolute necessity for good play.  Rather focus on those things that affect our timing and in turn good ball striking.  One of the longest hitters amongst the "usual suspects" is an average height, 66 year old, skinny guy.  Wouldn't stand a chance with me in a wrestling match.  But he just tons the ball because he's loose, has a big, long swing and finds the center of the club at impact.  Outdrives me by 20 yards.  All the time.  Sorta p***** me off.  (P.S. He's a good friend, known him since HS.  He ribs me unmercifully about this.  We trash talk a lot.)

Edited by Fellaheen51, 19 June 2017 - 06:11 AM.

#8503 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

View PostSixtySomePing, on 19 June 2017 - 04:53 AM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 17 June 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

View PostSixtySomePing, on 17 June 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

Well I think we can work this out somehow this summer. Going with him to lessons meant going with him not sending him of course. He's working weekends and evenings and of course I work during the week. Not really sure how we would get together at a range as he won't be getting his license till this summer, but that might be a good way to start, I think the basics part I could do. Surprisingly no I don't have any extra clubs, weird huh? I mean just a wedge and driver but not a set.

Hey 60, I have a set of W/S Ci9 irons. I got them for ex-Mrs Thug about 7 years ago (before I realized she needed something short and light). Steel R flex TT shafts. Used maybe 1/2 season. They got decent reviews back then. Just let me know if you want them.

Sorry, I didn't mean to not answer this TTB, his other G'pa had clubs, he doesn't play any more. So we are pretty much off to the races after making some other slight logistical plans :)

So thanks so much for the offer!

Good luck 60, and enjoy the process. Getting a kid up and running with golf is a great way to spend quality time together.

#8504 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:08 PM

Crickets in here tonight.

Have to echo Fella on the Hogan Radials.  Ebay'd my way into a set last year.  The shafts are connected to the hosel with a drift pin. In those days they weren't sold on the bonding strength of glues whereas today's modern epoxies are just the ticket.  They used glue AND a pin - but the point is it's no easy feat to change out the shaft on those sticks. That pin doesn't want to come out without some serious coaxing.  In the process you have to be very guarded against mauling the crap of the hosel which would scar the finish up badly.

And also to Fella's point, I can echo that even after trying them as-is, then making a shaft change (went with a lighter Nippon since they felt so heavy)... I was convinced I "can" play them as far as that goes.  But at the time I was diving pretty deep with what my personal preference are for swing weight, shaft kick-point, shaft length, etc.  The Radials and that very different sole presents a lot of "heaviness" through the hitting zone I just couldn't get past.  My thought was to one day grind that sole down to something thinner.  But it occurred to me all that energy - grinding - refinishing - yadda yadda... just not worth it when there's so many other options out there to chose from.

And to agree with him one more time - that stick might just be the ticket for someone looking for a nice vintage stick who is accepting it for what it is.  They look very different when you turn them upside down and view that sole.  But the topline, front, and back of those bad boys... especially when you find a nice clean set - those things are sure pretty to look at.  That's probably the intrigue that got me to try them in the first place.  Got a beautiful set that had hardly if ever been played for next to nothing.  Pretty little puppies other than that goofy sole.  Don't know the gram weight of them but the feel to me like they're made of pure lead.  The sole (for me) causes a very peculiar feeling reaction with the ground even when you catch it correctly.  Found it difficult to "feel" a good shot even when the ball flights were as hoped.  Good shots felt about the same as so-so shots in my hands.

Right now they're making it to the beautiful book ends or paper weight project list for retirement - lol.  Sorry I can't give a better endorsement Gaucho.  In your hands - you might fall in love with them.  Didn't happen here.

Edited by Reasonability, 19 June 2017 - 09:15 PM.

#8505 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:30 PM

The weather man.

We used to hear;

We will see a high tomorrow of 78 - which will occur right around 4 PM"
The chance of precipitation is at 24% and any chance of showers will only be between the hours of noon and 2 PM.
Winds are expected to be from the SW at 5 mph. We should expect that to occur mostly in the mid-morning hours for what promises to be a very calm day. Humidity will be 70% and the only clouds we should see will be spotty during those early afternoon hours when that slight chance of a brief shower is present.  Here's the extended forecast (same level of detail given for five days out).

Now we hear this:

Highs in the 70's.  Chance of precipitation under partly cloudy skies.  Winds light and variable.  Sunrise will be at 6:06 AM and sunset will occur at 8:30.
This has been your live dopler weather team brought to you by Grandma's Pie shop.  Remember - the sun always shines at Grandma's.  Now to traffic.  .

#8506 Gauchograd99

Gauchograd99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336355
  • Handicap:4.5
GolfWRX Likes : 4981

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:59 AM

If I did anything with the Radials, I would just borrow them and see what I could shoot. That old S and "E" wedge ... holed more shots with those 2 clubs than everything since.

Not sure if you guys saw the article about the PGA West Stadium Course tomorrow. $50 to play in the afternoon ... when it will be 122 degrees. I've played up to 117 before, but I was younger and had a jug cooler on the back. We went through it 2 times in 18 holes.

Probably not getting to play tomorrow due to heat and the fact the tee time offer looks to have changed up. I will speak with the group leader and see if the offer stands and maybe the website changed in error. If not, I can play it through their website for about 1/2 what is currently posted. That heat is good for one thing: dropping some prices.

I'm hoping my daughter will calm down to the point I can introduce her properly to the game of golf. Right now, she has asked to hit my clubs/putter and they are about as tall as she is. The real issue is she is more into "hitting" the ball as opposed to playing. She's not interested in miniature golf, so I am a bit perplexed whether she just wants to hit the ball or really wants to golf. Today is "yes" and tomorrow is "that's boring."
... darn kids and that "laser-like" focus on nothing in particular. LOL!
Razr-FIT Ext. 8.5deg, Black Tie (S)
XHotPro 13.5deg, stock stiff
TM Stage2Pro 18.5deg (set low), stiff. (Currently NOT in bag)
Cleveland TA1 1 iron (Currently NOT in bag)
Callaway Apex MB Steelfiber i110cw 3-PW
Mizuno MP-T4 (50/6)
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 54/10
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 58/8
Odyssey MXM #6 "Versa," 35in.
http://www.gamegolf....er/gauchograd99

Member of the OGA (Outlaw Golf Association) # 6.022*10^23

#8507 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285934
GolfWRX Likes : 6345

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:16 AM

Played 9 with Natasha(granddaughter) last evening..Well  anyway i was hitting the ball....sometimes..LOL    Was a great evening..the humidity
was down,and temps had dropped to the mid 80's...really nice out there.
Anyway,i won the dollar,but i have to admit she had a bad round,flubbed a few,and missed a few putts. But she handled it in a good way.
We talked about a lot of things,and nothing in particular. A very pleasant outing.
Hope all you guys in the west stay careful with the heat. I dont care if it is a dry heat..over 100* is hot !
Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

#8508 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

American Bald Eagle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144465
GolfWRX Likes : 13084

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:21 AM

View PostReasonability, on 19 June 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

The weather man.

We used to hear;

The chance of precipitation is at 24% and any chance of showers will only be between the hours of noon and 2 PM.
Winds are expected to be from the SW at 5 mph. We should expect that to occur mostly in the mid-morning hours for what promises to be a very calm day. Humidity will be 70% and the only clouds we should see will be spotty during those early afternoon hours when that slight chance of a brief shower is present.  Here's the extended forecast (same level of detail given for five days out).

Now we hear this:

Highs in the 70's.  Chance of precipitation under partly cloudy skies.  Winds light and variable.  Sunrise will be at 6:06 AM and sunset will occur at 8:30.
This has been your live dopler weather team brought to you by Grandma's Pie shop.  Remember - the sun always shines at Grandma's.  Now to traffic.  .

Exactly, and if you try to get a (free) radar app on your smartphone, you get 3 seconds of radar teaser followed by "Bombard the Universe" game.... so you hit the X  to exit, then you click on the radar again because a tornado is in your front yard maybe, and you get another pop up "Impossibly Figured Superwoman Destroys Enemies at Your Discretion" so you hear the tornado or hale or snowstorm or flood approaching and another pop up says "War Machines-Drive 'Em Over Other Guys at Will"... so you decide to pay up the $3.99 for the weather radar app...  (I've never gotten that far, just deleted radar app #8 hahaha
The other thing that's funny to listen to is the weather on just the weather map on cable, the animated computer voice... To day the high will reach 88 de grees, winds out of the west at 88 miles an hour   etc etc   :)  
Probably if you met the person who set that up, they would say, Hi, my name is Fred
Ping G 10* SFTec or G30 12* Alta Blue 55 Stiff Shaft Golf Pride MCC +4 Grip and/or
Tour 65 Stiff Shaft  Golf Pride MCC +4 Grip
Ping TiSi Tec 3 & 5 Wood S
Ping K15 7 Wood
Ping G15 4-PW Irons Golf Pride MCC +4 Grips
Vokey 48-6* 54-14*  58-10*  Wedges
Ping Anser 5 Milled Putter SuperStroke Fatso 5.0 CCT Grip
Snell My Tour Ball

Outlaw Golf Association #11
Senior Division-ha

#8509 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285934
GolfWRX Likes : 6345

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:21 AM

View Posttolmij, on 18 June 2017 - 09:55 PM, said:

Played nine this morning and I DO NOT want to talk about it. My wife drove the cart, she is a nature girl, likes to look at things as we go round, so, my shots were interrupted on many occaision with comments about the wildlife, potential painting subjects and a general chatter.

When I complained about my score at the end she said by taking more shots I had better value for money, never looked at it like that before. When several putts shaved the hole and stayed out, the comment was get a ball that is a more suitable size for the hole whatever that means.

Try again on Friday.
Sometimes their logic and common sense are astounding,huh?  Sounds like she has a great sense of humor ! You are extremely lucky !
Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

#8510 Fellaheen51

Fellaheen51

Go Green!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:52 AM

Played at golf once in the Tucson area a number of years ago.  First time in the desert.  End of January, real heat spell for the time of year with temps around 100*.  But if you were just sitting around in the shade, didn't seem so bad.  In a "dry heat" sort of way.  The day we played, our large group (was at the company's annual meeting) was advised to make sure and stay hydrated.  Yep, got it, will do.  It was hot, but surprisingly not that unbearable.  Back to the dry heat.  Heck, I was hardly sweating.  So drank water (mixed in with a beer or two IIRC), didn't think much about it.  This is kinda nice, not even sweating, never having to stop for a leak.

Then about the 17th hole or so, it all sorta crashed.  Was standing over the ball and I got this wave of dizziness and nausea, thought I was going to pass out.  Dropped me to one knee.  A marshal was happening by and stopped.  In no uncertain terms, he said that's enough.  Concerned with the potential for heat stroke, took me back to the clubhouse.  Drank a bunch of Gatorade, or something like it.  Cold towels on the back of the neck.  After a half hour or so, was fine.  But learned that the desert heat was nothing to mess around with.  

Probably not the best of situations.  Taking a Northerner, in the dead of winter, and dropping him into the desert during a heat spell with no acclimation.

Edited by Fellaheen51, 20 June 2017 - 05:57 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#8511 Fellaheen51

Fellaheen51

Go Green!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:37 AM

Ha Ha.  Took a stroll by the "Old School" thread just now.  Just to see if there was any fresh content to raise my hackles.  Sure enough, they're arguing about whether Ping Eye 2's are legal or not.  For league play!!!  Good gawd.  The "rules nazi's" are at it again.  Misapplying the sanctions.  If I was to ask anyone in my league (at least while I was still playing in the league) about "legality" of implements issues, they wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about.  Or particularly care.  Don't think I would be a golfer if I was to be constantly questioned about the conformity of my implements every time I was playing at golf.  Probably would tell them to "F*** Off, and then would be perma-banned from participating.  And get kicked out of the Club for being an unsavory type.  Some WRX'ers certainly roll in different golf circles than I do.  Don't think it would be much fun.  Playing the stuffed shirts.    

I've composed a response to postings in that thread about 3x now.  Only to blast them off into the ether.  "Discretion is the better part of valor".

/rant.

#8512 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:59 AM

View PostSixtySomePing, on 20 June 2017 - 05:21 AM, said:

View PostReasonability, on 19 June 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

The weather man.

We used to hear;

Now we hear this:

Exactly, and if you try to get a (free) radar app on your smartphone, you get 3 seconds of radar teaser followed by "Bombard the Universe" game.... so you hit the X  to exit, then you click on the radar again because a tornado is in your front yard maybe, and you get another pop up "Impossibly Figured Superwoman Destroys Enemies at Your Discretion" so you hear the tornado or hale or snowstorm or flood approaching and another pop up says "War Machines-Drive 'Em Over Other Guys at Will"... so you decide to pay up the $3.99 for the weather radar app...  (I've never gotten that far, just deleted radar app #8 hahaha
The other thing that's funny to listen to is the weather on just the weather map on cable, the animated computer voice... To day the high will reach 88 de grees, winds out of the west at 88 miles an hour   etc etc   :)  
Probably if you met the person who set that up, they would say, Hi, my name is Fred

My take on the situation as well, Sixty.  The first thing that popped in my mind was the computer generated voice with it's staccato rhythms.

#8513 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:21 AM

Hot weather golf:

Picture my 20 something self and new wife on our honeymoon in Venezuela in the 1980's.  We were adventurous and this was a new destination for NA tourists.  Chief attraction was that it was cheap versus other Caribbean hot spots at that time.

We were there in April, staying on the coast at a decidedly Eurocentric style resort built by a Spanish chain.  All the furniture was vinyl, so with the heat and humidity it was always clammy to the touch.  Your typical day was temperatures pushing to 100°F+ by late morning with high humidity.  Great pool weather, but not so much golf weather, but what did we know.  We were young, foolish and had never played before.

I booked a tee time for 11:00 am at the attached country club.  18 holes walking and we turned down the offer for caddies.  Oh, we don't need caddies; we're just beginners...  :wacko:  The course was deserted!

My wife lasted 3 holes before she was spent.  But I was an indestructible young white guy in the tropics!  I could handle it!  :russian_roulette:

I carried both bags for the next 6 holes.  I have no idea what I shot that day, but it was probably close to the temperature for nine holes!  It was like some sort of Marine Corps torture test.

Fortunately I didn't get sunstroke.  We had been there for five days at that point so had an opportunity to get our internal thermostats adjusted and I was used to working outside anyway at a  demanding physical job.  It can also thank my father for his swarthy complexion.  My wife wasn't as lucky, but we survived.

#8514 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:26 AM

View PostFellaheen51, on 20 June 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

Ha Ha.  Took a stroll by the "Old School" thread just now.  Just to see if there was any fresh content to raise my hackles.  Sure enough, they're arguing about whether Ping Eye 2's are legal or not.  For league play!!!  Good gawd.  The "rules nazi's" are at it again.  Misapplying the sanctions.  If I was to ask anyone in my league (at least while I was still playing in the league) about "legality" of implements issues, they wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about.  Or particularly care.  Don't think I would be a golfer if I was to be constantly questioned about the conformity of my implements every time I was playing at golf.  Probably would tell them to "F*** Off, and then would be perma-banned from participating.  And get kicked out of the Club for being an unsavory type.  Some WRX'ers certainly roll in different golf circles than I do.  Don't think it would be much fun.  Playing the stuffed shirts.

I've composed a response to postings in that thread about 3x now.  Only to blast them off into the ether.  "Discretion is the better part of valor".

/rant.

Seriously?

I'm pretty sure that most of my group are illegal equipment wise, like 90% just judging by the irons and wedges in play.  As with your group Fella, my guys would be going WTF? if some immensely pretentious rules sort puffed up his chest regarding our applications of the rules.  We'd kick their arse out!

#8515 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173716
GolfWRX Likes : 10844

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:24 PM

View Postscomac2002, on 20 June 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

View PostFellaheen51, on 20 June 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

/rant.

Seriously?

I'm pretty sure that most of my group are illegal equipment wise, like 90% just judging by the irons and wedges in play.  As with your group Fella, my guys would be going WTF? if some immensely pretentious rules sort puffed up his chest regarding our applications of the rules.  We'd kick their arse out!

I was using a set of old clubs even in comps when they changed the groove rules, no one checked, no one cared. I have never seen anyone check the validity of clubs.

With the range of different equipment I really can't see as it matters, it's all about sales and the grab for cash. Makes you wonder when the equipment rules change just how many receive some monetary gain.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

#8516 PeanutsDaddy

PeanutsDaddy

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133046
GolfWRX Likes : 21623

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:57 PM

My wedges are non-conforming.   I don't care.

They have maple leafs etched into them and they are blank Macs, hence they are bad-arse.  Hence I will carry them for as long as they have life.
Cobra King F7 9*
Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)
Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)
Wishon 775hs 3 - 5
Wishon 560 - 6 - 7
Wishon 575mmc 8 - PW
Mac Custom Grind GW + LW (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

#8517 PeanutsDaddy

PeanutsDaddy

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133046
GolfWRX Likes : 21623

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:58 PM

Weather . . .

I'll play in nearly anything (save for lightning) but ensure that I'm properly prepared.   I enjoy golf but don't intend to die on the course through my own stupidity.
Cobra King F7 9*
Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)
Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)
Wishon 775hs 3 - 5
Wishon 560 - 6 - 7
Wishon 575mmc 8 - PW
Mac Custom Grind GW + LW (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

#8518 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

I played today 1st time in over 3 weeks. Gotta admit I enjoyed the time away from golf. But I hit the ball well, esp driver. One of my playing partners was a BIG dude, looked like a power running back, and gotta say he didn't put it by me by that much - it was a good demonstration of how much distance you pick up when you hit it straight. But my irons were not great so shot a blah 84 which could have been much better.

Good news is that I think I have returned to the state where I can't wait to get back out there. Gotta admit, my desire had been waning last couple months.

#8519 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:29 PM

True story (seriously this time)...

Without question the hottest round of golf in my entire life temperature wise occurred in Minneapolis St. Paul of all places.  Was sent there for some sort of training back around 1987.  It was fairly late fall and I had packed no shorts - and golf was not even something I was expecting to play.

It was at least 105 that day.  There I was in long khaki pants.  I end up in a bunker on the front 9 with my rented sticks... and whilst climbing out I popped the arse seam from the belt line to the front zipper.  The sweat had my pants affixed to my thighs in a way that the act of exiting a bunker caused a blow-out of epic proportions.

If you've ever suffered a blow-out of this magnitude - you'll appreciate just how wide open the barn door flies in such a circumstance.  There were loose flaps and threads hanging halfway down to my knees.  Both sweat-soaked boxer bound cheeks were fully exposed  bringing a whole new meaning to the "twin cities".

At the turn - I go in to buy something by way of pants to change into - and find they've got zero pants for sale.  The guy behind the counter brings me a roll of (you guessed it) duct tape.

Yes indeed I did - and yes indeed it worked.

Note to self:  Next time I travel to Phoenix - pack a winter coat just in case.... and a roll of duct tape.

#8520 scotee

scotee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69498
GolfWRX Likes : 9139

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:40 PM

View PostReasonability, on 20 June 2017 - 10:29 PM, said:

True story (seriously this time)...

Without question the hottest round of golf in my entire life temperature wise occurred in Minneapolis St. Paul of all places.  Was sent there for some sort of training back around 1987.  It was fairly late fall and I had packed no shorts - and golf was not even something I was expecting to play.

It was at least 105 that day.  There I was in long khaki pants.  I end up in a bunker on the front 9 with my rented sticks... and whilst climbing out I popped the arse seam from the belt line to the front zipper.  The sweat had my pants affixed to my thighs in a way that the act of exiting a bunker caused a blow-out of epic proportions.

If you've ever suffered a blow-out of this magnitude - you'll appreciate just how wide open the barn door flies in such a circumstance.  There were loose flaps and threads hanging halfway down to my knees.  Both sweat-soaked boxer bound cheeks were fully exposed  bringing a whole new meaning to the "twin cities".

At the turn - I go in to buy something by way of pants to change into - and find they've got zero pants for sale.  The guy behind the counter brings me a roll of (you guessed it) duct tape.

Yes indeed I did - and yes indeed it worked.

Note to self:  Next time I travel to Phoenix - pack a winter coat just in case.... and a roll of duct tape.

I'm grinning :cheesy:  No more like belly laughing.  Got that picture filed up there with Rad's trailer incident. Why is that kind of stuff so funny?

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

tolmij, Reasonability, scotee

GolfWRX Sponsors