Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 11 votes

Clubhouse Grille

fellowship good spirit

20670 replies to this topic

#17761 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
GolfWRX Likes : 15541

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:50 PM

I did a bit of volunteer fire fighting in my early twenties.  I've seen my share of carnage of various sorts.  Cycling is not a no risk undertaking and that is exacerbated by motorists who don't give adequate way.  As more cyclists hit the road awareness has improved, but by the same token I sympathize with those motorists who run across a swarm of cyclists who won't give way to the motorists either as well as breaking rules of the road at intersections, etc.

We have quite a bit of cycling infrastructure in town with segregated bike lanes, multi-use paths, etc., but once again as is typical of our times there isn't much consideration given to others beyond get the hell outa my way!  :(  S o, it's always a matter of looking out for everyone else cause you never know what might happen.  That said, I'd like to explore some of the bike friendly areas more fully in my area rather than riding the country roads that have become commuter thoroughfares.   When on the road locally I always time my rides to avoid commuting hours and that has been satisfactory when going for rides of up to an hour.  I've had a couple of close calls over the years often resulting in a change of route and or timing as a preventative measure.  That said, I'm realizing that often times the right thing to do is to drive to the area you want to explore and then venture out from there.  (It has occurred to me that if we do move further east into the peninsula I will likely join a riding club there that caters to older cyclists that aren't interested in race culture.  My SIL rides periodically with that group.)  We'll see how I progress going forward and how long it takes me to gain some type of riding condition as to how many adventures I attempt.

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM R7 425 11.5°
Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°

TM '09 Rescue 25°
TM Burner Plus 6-PW

TM Zip 56°
TM White Smoke Big Fontana

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#17762 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:52 PM

A couple of topics that are of interest to me:

Graphite shafts in irons:

I'm a fan.  I've played graphite shafted irons for 10 years now.  Oh sure, I took time off with steel shafted alternatives, but in the end I see no advantage to steel beyond cost.  If you suffer from tendinitis and I do, graphite is a godsend!  If you're getting older and losing swing speed the weight savings is also welcome once you make the adjustment.  The first couple of seasons that I played my i25's I had about 2" of high density lead tape on each one.  Now I have none.  The trick now is finding appropriate wedge(s) to play with them which is leading me to graphite shafted wedges, a $10 option if you order from the factory which in the day of $200 wedges is no more than they'll charge to alter the lie angle or loft.

Loft versus shaft length in drivers:

I think Phil is onto something.  I remember last year that the old timers got taking about when they switched to steel from persimmon especially if the new driver had a graphite shaft that they lofted down from 10-10.5 on the persies to 8.5-9.5 with the steel head drivers.  Perhaps Phil is just revisiting the physics of generations earlier.  

I struggled to get any sort of performance out of my 913 driver when I first acquired it,  It has a 12° head and I tried it all the way up to 13.5° with no benefit.  After talking with Fella over the winter about how he had his 910 head set I went the opposite direction and dropped the loft to 11.25° and may even go down to 10.5° to see if there's a benefit.  I don't have a lot of reps to go on for obvious reasons, but the darned thing came to life for me being more consistent directionally and the flatter trajectory didn't fall out of the sky quite the same as before.

TM R7 425 11.5°

TM '09 Rescue 25°
TM Burner Plus 6-PW

TM Zip 56°

#17763 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 28325

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:40 PM

View PostReasonability, on 12 June 2018 - 09:41 PM, said:

Stuey -

If you happen to stumble onto a set of Rifle 5.5 shafts, please hang on to them for me.  6.0 is fine and dandy but I'm not getting any younger.  5.5s are pretty scarce unless you want to pay an arm and a leg.  Might end up with easier to locate 5.0s anyway, but thought maybe you'd find a set on the scrap pile one day. (Folks tell me the difference for me in 6 vs 5.5 won't be noticeable enough to make it worth it.  I dunno.
Will do I file stuff like that in my mind and believe it or not remember it--- On the other hand I can not tell you what I ate for supper last night
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
FW TM V-Steel 5 wood 18* Pro Launch Blue
FW TM V-Steel 7 wood 21* Stock TM R
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore
LW  Cleveland 588 60* DG Sensicore custom sole Scratch EGG style
Putter- Little David 8802 or 97 Scotty Santa Fe rusty as hell
Bag-- Original Ping Hoofer
Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want screw the USGA & R&A
Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
Vintage
Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green
PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
SW Macgregor LRA 56* TT Wedge Stiff DJ Special
Putter ( subject to change) Cleveland 8802 Designed By
Bag Old School Titleist Stand

#17764 scotee

scotee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69498
GolfWRX Likes : 11905

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:49 PM

View PostFellaheen51, on 13 June 2018 - 06:34 AM, said:

View PostSixtySomePing, on 13 June 2018 - 05:04 AM, said:

Perhaps it could be pointed out that men may be highly allergic to these unless DW is not around, but then I wouldn't know, right? ha

View PostSixtySomePing, on 13 June 2018 - 05:18 AM, said:

Funny story, when our second baby was in need of changing one day, my wife asked if I would change his diaper in his room, which was on the second story. Of course I set a fan in the window against the screen blowing on me to keep the odors at bay while I did the quick lane change routine. Meanwhile she was in the kitchen below cooking something for supper. Well the screen popped out at the bottom from the vibration, and gravity took over and the fan fell out and down to the ground and broke into many pieces. I finished changing him, and took him downstairs, and she calmly said 'this time get one of those that sits on the pole so it stays put'... she hadn't even looked, she just knew what happened...maybe she heard the crash :dntknw:

Not Fella.  The "quick lane change" is part of the morning ritual.  Seven days a week, when the lad wakes up about 7:30 a.m.  As I've mentioned before in these chronicles, our granddaughter and great-grandson live with us.  It's a joy and wouldn't have it any other way.  I've become so accustomed to the change, don't even think about.  Just tell the lad, "No fooling around.  Let's get fresh and be done with it."  He listens to his 'Da'.  We then share the early morning time together, him sitting in my lap, sometimes viewing WRX on the screen as I try and keep his paws off the keyboard.  Life has a way of of taking unanticipated directions.  

Related.  So I figured that it was time for the lad to have his own plastic golf club set.  So bought him his first set.  Three plastic "clubs" some balls, couple of "holes" all in this wheeled cart that he drags around behind him.  Wields these implements around like a Jedi light saber trying to whack the ball around the family room.  Have to remain vigilant while he's swinging.  One day after I got these, grandma comes home with another set of clubs.  I doubt there is another 20 month old that already has two sets of sticks.  Perhaps a bad precedent, early childhood club ho development.

(Alas, the boy has woken up.  The change has taken place.  Now sitting in my lap, watching as I try and finish this composition.)

Whenever he goes to the basement, he makes a beeline to the club stash.  Grabs whenever implement that's at hand, and commences to wielding it around.  Knows where I have some balls around the work bench.  Swings club at ball.  Even more dangerously that with the plastic ones.  

(No touch.  Paws off the keyboard.)

Think he may have future potential.  We've been working on his grip some, the 10 finger seems to be working well for him.  For about 5 seconds.  Fella has to stick around for another 25 years.  We've got work to do.  It's become important.  

Gotta go, he's becoming rambunctious.

You are making me smile Fella. I get to see 2 of our 6 grandkids once a week. The 4 yr. old boy is quite the ham. He called me yesterday and asked if I knew how to cut through the Ocean? "No Grady how do you cut through the ocean?"  "With a seesaw"  He is into knock knock jokes. He makes up some of his own that don't always make any sense at all but he thinks they are hilarious. The jokes aren't but he is!  Glad you are getting this time with them :) And yes I have and do get changing duty every now and then on the little ones. And rambunctious? Wish I could bottle it and get a dose for myself once in awhile. Their energy is endless!
Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

#17765 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 28325

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:58 PM

View PostSpooky67, on 12 June 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

If I'm in the grille/clubhouse talking and having a beer or two, I will talk equipment if I have seen someone with a club that interests me. I was going to say I'd talk equipment if I'd seen their bag, but I felt that might go in the wrong direction...lol. Anyway, I'll ask a stranger- how do you like "insert club/shaft here". Especially if I see one old club in a new-ish bag. I'm always really interested in a really old club that the owner can't get out of the bag. I know they try to, but they don't find anything better and come back again and again. Do any of you have any "older" clubs that you can't get rid of and play regularly?

I played a Nike Ignite 410 tour issue head with a UST Proforce PROTO that was just incredible. I got it just as the 460 craze was starting, of course I didn't want to lose the displacement battle so I tried a litany of 460 drivers and always came back to the Ignite 410. I wound up with a TM R1 and that gave the 410 a run but I was inconsistent with the TDR1 so the 410 always wound up in the bag if my driving was off. The 410 was permanently retired when I picked up a 2017 M1, that sealed the deal but the 410 had a 13yr run.

Another item that WILL NOT go away has been the Oban Devotion that I have played since I got the R1. I have purchased 15-20 shafts looking for something better and it never happens. I pay. I play. I put the Devo back in. I have not found anything better for my swing and the R1 and M1 heads.

What club has stood the test of time with you?
Well for a long time like 25 years it was a Ping Zing 2 putter. Now for a long time I was not really a club ho. That started when I got into the golf shop business. I played the same set of 66 Power Bilt Custom Grind Citation irons for 10 years and wore them out. I bought my first set of VIPs in 90 brand new and played them mostly until maybe a year ago. I did carry my first metal fairway wood for 13 seasons it was a old Callaway Steelhead tour head. The only reason I quit hitting it was because the old Pro Force 65 Gold got too stiff for me. I guess for me now the old Cleveland 588s are the oldest in the bag. Those heads I have had since the late 90s. My buddy the Miura dealer did some extensive shaft work on them about 5 years back and I did a grind job on the 60. I am a wedge ho and experiment around with wedges a lot but when it comes to brass tacks those 2 588s are in the bag. Before I became a real club ho I did play a set of MP-33 blades for a couple of years. Note: The Vips in my signature are not the original set> Fellow WRXer Mitchell sent them to me 2 years ago and they were pristine but had Brunswick 7.0 shafts in them which are telephone poles for me now. I had always wanted to build a set of Macgregors with real Hogan Apex shafts. I built those last fall.

Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
FW TM V-Steel 5 wood 18* Pro Launch Blue
FW TM V-Steel 7 wood 21* Stock TM R
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore
LW  Cleveland 588 60* DG Sensicore custom sole Scratch EGG style
Putter- Little David 8802 or 97 Scotty Santa Fe rusty as hell
Bag-- Original Ping Hoofer
Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want screw the USGA & R&A
Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
Vintage
Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green
PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
SW Macgregor LRA 56* TT Wedge Stiff DJ Special
Putter ( subject to change) Cleveland 8802 Designed By
Bag Old School Titleist Stand

#17766 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2533

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

View Postscomac2002, on 13 June 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

I did a bit of volunteer fire fighting in my early twenties.  I've seen my share of carnage of various sorts.  Cycling is not a no risk undertaking and that is exacerbated by motorists who don't give adequate way.  As more cyclists hit the road awareness has improved, but by the same token I sympathize with those motorists who run across a swarm of cyclists who won't give way to the motorists either as well as breaking rules of the road at intersections, etc.

We have quite a bit of cycling infrastructure in town with segregated bike lanes, multi-use paths, etc., but once again as is typical of our times there isn't much consideration given to others beyond get the hell outa my way!  :(  S o, it's always a matter of looking out for everyone else cause you never know what might happen.  That said, I'd like to explore some of the bike friendly areas more fully in my area rather than riding the country roads that have become commuter thoroughfares.   When on the road locally I always time my rides to avoid commuting hours and that has been satisfactory when going for rides of up to an hour.  I've had a couple of close calls over the years often resulting in a change of route and or timing as a preventative measure.  That said, I'm realizing that often times the right thing to do is to drive to the area you want to explore and then venture out from there.  (It has occurred to me that if we do move further east into the peninsula I will likely join a riding club there that caters to older cyclists that aren't interested in race culture.  My SIL rides periodically with that group.)  We'll see how I progress going forward and how long it takes me to gain some type of riding condition as to how many adventures I attempt.

One of my favorite parts about Phoenix is the canal.  Along both sides of the canal is a 40-50 mile paved bike/running/walking path.  From central phoenix to Peoria, the canal provides an express route which means tunnels under all major roads.  I live a block from an access point to the canal and ride 20ish miles on it weekly.  It's a great amenity to have.  Back in Ohio it was always street riding.  Generally that mean slower rides on 'safer' residential streets.  Being able to hop on an unobstructed bike path and ride to Old Town Scottsdale, Tempe or take a long ride across the city is pretty awesome.
Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop

#17767 Spooky67

Spooky67

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134659
GolfWRX Likes : 1412

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:29 PM

View PostReasonability, on 13 June 2018 - 12:38 PM, said:

OK one more and I'll STFU and get out of the way so you guys will free more free to play.

Just today I happen to see Phil in some interview.  He discusses how the longer the driver shaft the LESS loft required to control it.

His logic:  A longer shaft will flatten the swing plane (it has to) and will therefore approach the ball during contact more along the ground (shallower angle of attack as they say).   This will cause the loft of the clubface to act on the ball sending it higher with more backspin.  Ergo a little less loft is called for.  

Conversely, a steeper angle of attack would come from a somewhat shorter driver shaft.  By the same logic that will call for a little MORE loft.

Phil was explaining a time when he carried two drivers with him in the same round.  He was getting a little more draw and distance with the longer one,  and his goal was to try to control both.  (He one one or two times btw with the two-driver strategy).  

So why are being sold longer drivers with MORE loft?   For MOST amateurs wouldn't we be better served with shorter drivers with more loft?  Seems like we're being a little duped into mixing the distance of a longer shaft with the wrong loft to go with that shaft length.  

I know this tire has been kicked before - but to hear a guy outright say that more loft AND longer inside the same driver bring with it control issues is sort of telling in my book.  

I shall now vaporize for the fun and sanity of other!  lol

I remember when draw and fade biased drivers hit the market and Phil actually carried one of each in his bag during the Masters, two drivers in the bag. I think he pulled his 3w if I remember correctly..? Don't remember if he kept them in for the entire tournament but I do remember him carrying one of each during competition. IMO Phil isn't afraid to make a little money if you get what I'm saying...lol. He's also a bit of a club ho and likes to try different stuff so who knows...

Edited by Spooky67, 13 June 2018 - 04:40 PM.

#17768 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 49289

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:42 PM

View PostFellaheen51, on 13 June 2018 - 05:39 AM, said:

View PostReasonability, on 12 June 2018 - 09:41 PM, said:

Stuey -

If you happen to stumble onto a set of Rifle 5.5 shafts, please hang on to them for me.  6.0 is fine and dandy but I'm not getting any younger.  5.5s are pretty scarce unless you want to pay an arm and a leg.  Might end up with easier to locate 5.0s anyway, but thought maybe you'd find a set on the scrap pile one day. (Folks tell me the difference for me in 6 vs 5.5 won't be noticeable enough to make it worth it.  I dunno.

What tip size you looking for?  If I was to hazard a guess, probably .355 tapers.  Have a set of .370 (5 - GW) Rifle 5.0 sitting around unused.  Blue labels, so after TT bought out Royal Precision.  Some have mentioned noticing a difference once Rifle became part of TT.  I question the validity of that.

It's a half flex change moving from 6.0 (S+) to 5.5 (S).  So whether the difference is noticeable is dependent on how perceptive one is to changes in shaft flex.  The usual caveat of everyone's different applies.  WTS, if your goal is to "soften up" moving forward, 1/2 flex is perhaps not worth the time or trouble.  

Here's a photo from a 2001 Golfsmith catalog with some info on the RP Rifle's.

I have those Rifle flighted (FCM) shafts in my Mac combo set. They are 5.0s and by today's
standards, fairly heavy at 135 grams...………..but they don't feel any heavier to me than my
various Ping iron sets. I was surprised by that when I first hit them, frankly. And, of course,
these are the Royal Precision (pre TT) shafts....stepless. The shaft bands are still there and
in good shape.

#17769 scotee

scotee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:46 PM

View PostSpooky67, on 12 June 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

If I'm in the grille/clubhouse talking and having a beer or two, I will talk equipment if I have seen someone with a club that interests me. I was going to say I'd talk equipment if I'd seen their bag, but I felt that might go in the wrong direction...lol. Anyway, I'll ask a stranger- how do you like "insert club/shaft here". Especially if I see one old club in a new-ish bag. I'm always really interested in a really old club that the owner can't get out of the bag. I know they try to, but they don't find anything better and come back again and again. Do any of you have any "older" clubs that you can't get rid of and play regularly?

I played a Nike Ignite 410 tour issue head with a UST Proforce PROTO that was just incredible. I got it just as the 460 craze was starting, of course I didn't want to lose the displacement battle so I tried a litany of 460 drivers and always came back to the Ignite 410. I wound up with a TM R1 and that gave the 410 a run but I was inconsistent with the TDR1 so the 410 always wound up in the bag if my driving was off. The 410 was permanently retired when I picked up a 2017 M1, that sealed the deal but the 410 had a 13yr run.

Another item that WILL NOT go away has been the Oban Devotion that I have played since I got the R1. I have purchased 15-20 shafts looking for something better and it never happens. I pay. I play. I put the Devo back in. I have not found anything better for my swing and the R1 and M1 heads.

What club has stood the test of time with you?

For me it is two clubs. Cleveland Launcher Comp 5 wood with that Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue shaft that Conrad likes. I had the driver and 3 wood. The driver was one of my best but suddenly I could not hit it high enough. The 3 wood had a heavier shaft that was always too "board like" I kept the 5 and still like it a lot.  The other is my non-conforming Callaway Mac Daddy 58 deg. lob wedge. Old and rusty but I love the sole grind and being a member here of the OGA (outlaw golf association)  no one cares that I still use it. If you don't know about the OGA, Big Stu is our president and all around bad A$$ good guy :) and will give you a membership number if you like the idea.  Oh and welcome to the Grille.
Turn the mass

OGA member #15

#17770 scotee

scotee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:56 PM

View PostSpooky67, on 13 June 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

View PostReasonability, on 13 June 2018 - 12:38 PM, said:

OK one more and I'll STFU and get out of the way so you guys will free more free to play.

Just today I happen to see Phil in some interview.  He discusses how the longer the driver shaft the LESS loft required to control it.

His logic:  A longer shaft will flatten the swing plane (it has to) and will therefore approach the ball during contact more along the ground (shallower angle of attack as they say).   This will cause the loft of the clubface to act on the ball sending it higher with more backspin.  Ergo a little less loft is called for.  

Conversely, a steeper angle of attack would come from a somewhat shorter driver shaft.  By the same logic that will call for a little MORE loft.

Phil was explaining a time when he carried two drivers with him in the same round.  He was getting a little more draw and distance with the longer one,  and his goal was to try to control both.  (He one one or two times btw with the two-driver strategy).  

So why are being sold longer drivers with MORE loft?   For MOST amateurs wouldn't we be better served with shorter drivers with more loft?  Seems like we're being a little duped into mixing the distance of a longer shaft with the wrong loft to go with that shaft length.  

I know this tire has been kicked before - but to hear a guy outright say that more loft AND longer inside the same driver bring with it control issues is sort of telling in my book.  

I shall now vaporize for the fun and sanity of other!  lol

I remember when draw and fade biased drivers hit the market and Phil actually carried one of each in his bag during the Masters, two drivers in the bag. I think he pulled his 3w if I remember correctly..? Don't remember if he kept them in for the entire tournament but I do remember him carrying one of each during competition. IMO Phil isn't afraid to make a little money if you get what I'm saying...lol. He's also a bit of a club ho and likes to try different stuff so who knows...

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#17771 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173716
GolfWRX Likes : 17480

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:27 PM

What an interesting read this morning, such diverse topics.

Shaft and fitting. There seems to be some competition as to which one of the Grillers is the most knowledgeable, I find myself hitting my head on the wall to try and clear the grey matter. I suppose when you do it for so long it becomes second nature. Never thought much about shafts untill my son purchased the clubs with graphite shafts for my Xmas present then I could feel and see the improvement in my shots, it has not impacted my scores to that extent but I can now have better controls about where the ball finishes.

Unisex toilets. DW and myself volunteered in an age care facility, all staff toilets were unisex. DW refused to use them as she could not get used to the idea of seeing a male person when she used it. I only used the facility once and was sharing it with a female staff member when I walked in, walked out and never used it again, I may be old fashioned but somethings are private between people of the same sex, toilets are one of them. I think the modern I can be what sex I like is only an opportunity for perverts to get themselves off. As with everything, it will go full circle and normality will be resumed, it’s only going to take some deviant to abuse it to bring about a change.

How about the college lads/girls. One person won a foot race a month ago as a boy, this week he identified as a girl and won a girls foot race, where is the justification for that, where is the justice for the girls that worked hard for that race to be cheated out of a win.

Well done Fella, more and more people are now living in mixed family groups, our son asked if we wanted to purchase a house between us, the result we can afford more as the bills are shared, a larger house and we will also have some support later in life. It’s really good being an influence on youngsters, always liked working with children it’s so satisfying to see them achieve something.

Into the studio now, painting day.
Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

#17772 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285934
GolfWRX Likes : 8537

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:10 PM

View PostReasonability, on 13 June 2018 - 12:10 PM, said:

One fine day - experiments with graphite shafted irons will come.  It tickles my curiosity too much for it not to one day become a road more traveled.

You guys remember when ALL shafts were steel.  Enter these whippy fiberglass shafts in drivers that sent it a mile out to the push side.  Everyone raced right back to steel.  But now graphite is in just about every driver sold while irons remain (by and large) steel from the OEM.

It begs the question - WHY?  If it's "better" for a driver why would it be "worse" for an iron?  That little riddle will one day drive me to go find out why.  No doubt the weight of the heads is in the equation but nowadays a shaft can be made to any imaginable weight, flex, tip size, yadda.

Funny you mentioned this... Before I started this One Length trip, The irons I had used since about 2000 were graphite shafts. I am seriously
considering getting a set of graphite in the one lengths ..if I decide to continue them. The graphite were as consistent as any I have played.
They were almost exactly the same distance wise as the steel i had before.  They ARE a club longer than the one lengths. They sure seem
to have been a lot easier on my lead wrist and elbow....and the fingers in my trail hand...nothing serious..just never felt any issues the day after.
The graphite shafts in todays irons are probably as good as steel.  I know tradition is blahblahblah...but I am older,and if they help me in any
way they are going to get looked at ! Hence the changing one length to graphite down the road.
Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

#17773 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:17 PM

To you guys and your grandkids.... Now is a lot of fun,and I hope you are able to soak up every minute. The really great time is when
they ask you to teach them how to play, and then later you get to enjoy a beautiful early morning,or a late afternoon sun,on the course
with them. Talking about golf....life....or sports....or whatever.. Those are the great times. You will be making memories that will
last a lifetime . I honestly hope each of you are as lucky as I have been with my granddaughter. You will cherish it .
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

#17774 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:04 PM

Bicycles. Boooooooooo.

Let me explain. As a youngster I went everywhere on my bike, heavy traffic no problems as you took care, obeyed the road rules and had no major accidents and very few minor ones.

No Idea what America is like but in Australian cyclists want the whole road system to revolve around them, many of them are good, do the right thing, but so many do not care about anyone else. A recent road rule, if you pass a clylist you have to be 1meter away from him, on very narrow roads this is almost impossible, they ride two, three, and sometimes four abreast on main roads and you still have to give the outside rider 1meter clearance. The other side of this, if a cyclist overtakes a car they do not need to be 1meter away, so if an accident happens which is quite often as they run into car doors being opened, the car driver is then at fault for not being carefully opening his door.  They want a cycle path along every road, special consideration  but quite often refuse to use them when they are there,  but are unwilling to contribute towards the cost which for what they want would cost billions of dollars, at the same time road rules do not apply to them, it’s regular to see them go over a pedestrian crossing that is in use, run red lights, the wrong way down one way streets.

I have no problem with cyclists if they obey the rules of the road, act in a considerate way, and contribute towards the financial burden there demands cause, unfortunately, this does not happen in Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

#17775 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:29 AM

View PostSixtySomePing, on 14 June 2018 - 03:45 AM, said:

View Posttolmij, on 13 June 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

Bicycles. Boooooooooo.

Let me explain. As a youngster I went everywhere on my bike, heavy traffic no problems as you took care, obeyed the road rules and had no major accidents and very few minor ones.

No Idea what America is like but in Australian cyclists want the whole road system to revolve around them, many of them are good, do the right thing, but so many do not care about anyone else. A recent road rule, if you pass a clylist you have to be 1meter away from him, on very narrow roads this is almost impossible, they ride two, three, and sometimes four abreast on main roads and you still have to give the outside rider 1meter clearance. The other side of this, if a cyclist overtakes a car they do not need to be 1meter away, so if an accident happens which is quite often as they run into car doors being opened, the car driver is then at fault for not being carefully opening his door.  They want a cycle path along every road, special consideration  but quite often refuse to use them when they are there,  but are unwilling to contribute towards the cost which for what they want would cost billions of dollars, at the same time road rules do not apply to them, itís regular to see them go over a pedestrian crossing that is in use, run red lights, the wrong way down one way streets.

I have no problem with cyclists if they obey the rules of the road, act in a considerate way, and contribute towards the financial burden there demands cause, unfortunately, this does not happen in Australia.
Wow, very different. And one meter isn't much huh, being just 39". Around here we have a lot of bike paths, many of which are old railroad tracks converted over and paved, so they go thru the country with nice views. In our county alone we have almost 50 miles of bike paths, These are dedicated paths, not for car traffic at all, or if they do happen to be near a street connecting one path to the next, the path is in a lane all of its own. I think riding in the Columbus area streets as SilverBullets was saying is probably more 'good luck to you' type riding.
You can also walk our paths, but riders always pass on the left and walkers or runners know this, and riders always give a courteous "On your left" shout in advance. In all the years we've lived here no one has ever been hit.
http://lickingparkdi...il-Map-2016.pdf

How lucky civilised cyclists :).    We have dedicated cycling paths that are usually only a painted line on the normal road, cyclists are supposed to keep to them and cars are not supposed to drive in them. Usually cyclists drive outside them or more than one abreast so they cannot remain inside of them. Usually they use the normal highways.

Have you heard the term she will be right mate, it covers many things but usually means stuff it, no matter what everything will work out. This is the general Australian attitude, cyclists are no different.

Edited by tolmij, 14 June 2018 - 04:34 AM.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

#17776 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:53 AM

Bicycles. Boooooooooo.

No Idea what America is like but in Australian cyclists want the whole road system to revolve around them, many of them are good, do the right thing, but so many do not care about anyone else. A recent road rule, if you pass a clylist you have to be 1meter away from him, on very narrow roads this is almost impossible, they ride two, three, and sometimes four abreast on main roads and you still have to give the outside rider 1meter clearance. The other side of this, if a cyclist overtakes a car they do not need to be 1meter away, so if an accident happens which is quite often as they run into car doors being opened, the car driver is then at fault for not being carefully opening his door.  They want a cycle path along every road, special consideration  but quite often refuse to use them when they are there,  but are unwilling to contribute towards the cost which for what they want would cost billions of dollars, at the same time road rules do not apply to them, it’s regular to see them go over a pedestrian crossing that is in use, run red lights, the wrong way down one way streets.

Wow, very different. And one meter isn't much huh, being just 39". Around here we have a lot of bike paths, many of which are old railroad tracks converted over and paved, so they go thru the country with nice views. In our county alone we have almost 50 miles of bike paths, These are dedicated paths, not for car traffic at all, or if they do happen to be near a street connecting one path to the next, the path is in a lane all of its own. I think riding in the Columbus area streets as SilverBullets was saying is probably more 'good luck to you' type riding.
You can also walk our paths, but riders always pass on the left and walkers or runners know this, and riders always give a courteous "On your left" shout in advance. In all the years we've lived here no one has ever been hit.

Our area is very similar to Sixty's as well in terms of cycling infrastructure including an expansive bike share program featuring the Sobi bike system.  I haven't used it personally, but I have used the Bixi bike system in Montreal on a couple of occasions.

I've ridden a couple of the more scenic routes on the maps that can be linked to from the following page:

https://www.hamilton...ing-routes-maps

The waterfront trail is an easy route that follows along the Lake Ontario lakeshore and is part of a large provincial network route that goes all the way from Niagara-on-the-Lake to Oshawa.  I've also done the Dundas Waterfalls route which is fairly demanding due to scaling and then descending the escarpment via older access roads versus the gentle slopes that are featured on the escarpment rail trails.  There are two cycling routes that travel east-west through the city featuring segregated lanes featuring bollards to provide cyclists with a relatively safe means of getting through the city.  It's a pretty good set-up with a great mix of routes for those inclined to take advantage.

TM R7 425 11.5°

TM '09 Rescue 25°
TM Burner Plus 6-PW

TM Zip 56°

#17777 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:39 AM

View Postscomac2002, on 14 June 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

Bicycles. Boooooooooo.

Our area is very similar to Sixty's as well in terms of cycling infrastructure including an expansive bike share program featuring the Sobi bike system.  I haven't used it personally, but I have used the Bixi bike system in Montreal on a couple of occasions.

I've ridden a couple of the more scenic routes on the maps that can be linked to from the following page:

https://www.hamilton...ing-routes-maps

The waterfront trail is an easy route that follows along the Lake Ontario lakeshore and is part of a large provincial network route that goes all the way from Niagara-on-the-Lake to Oshawa.  I've also done the Dundas Waterfalls route which is fairly demanding due to scaling and then descending the escarpment via older access roads versus the gentle slopes that are featured on the escarpment rail trails.  There are two cycling routes that travel east-west through the city featuring segregated lanes featuring bollards to provide cyclists with a relatively safe means of getting through the city.  It's a pretty good set-up with a great mix of routes for those inclined to take advantage.

From what you are both saying, it appears cycling is more a method of relaxation, in Australia it is a method of transport, to and from work.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

#17778 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:15 AM

Oh, it's definitely a method of transportation for the urban dweller who doesn't own or want to own a car.  I know several folks that fall into this category particularly in Toronto and they're not all millennials either.  The cycling culture has been growing in this country for at least a decade or more, particularly from a transport perspective.  All of our city buses are equipped with bike carriers so that you can mutli mode your transportation options.  I've frequently seen bikes being brought on the intercity Go Trains so that once at your destination you've got a method to get around.  If anything, cycling for transport is the growth area.

TM R7 425 11.5°

TM '09 Rescue 25°
TM Burner Plus 6-PW

TM Zip 56°

#17779 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:38 AM

Bicycles. Boooooooooo.

it is heading down the same path here in rural southern Ohio..dont know about the bigger cities,but in the country,the residents are
constantly in danger of the city people bringing their bikes to the country and riding like  you described on country roads.. I have came to
the top of a hill...doing the speed limit(55),and found a bunch of cyclists ...stopped in the middle of the lane...talking.....They were from the
city...because NO country man/woman would wear spandex riding outfits !
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

#17780 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

Down here also,we have the Amish..with their horse pulled buggies...I see young kids,maybe 12/14 age on the roads,driving the buggy.
Have heard of several accidents...none really fatal,thank goodness. Every one has been either a young new driver of the car,or a city
person on the two lane road and wasn't aware that the SLOW buggies use the same lane !  Everyone here is used to them and know to be careful
on two lane roads.

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#17781 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:47 AM

watching the Open before I go out for 9 this afternoon...the USGA has a new commercial running ,to help the problem
of the length of time it takes to play a round.
Play ready golf.....NO
Marshalls.............NO
increased tee interval.....NO
pick up after triple bogey....NO
their solution is ....When you dont have the time for a round....PLAY 9.....
This helps the ones who are now playing 9... they are in no hurry at all..because they get done in 2 3/4 instead of 5 .
The ones who are playing 18 are further screwed...more playing 9 so now 18 takes 5 1/2  
And in a few years we will start with the complaints of how long it takes to play 9.
Another great solution by the USGA which only bothers the lowly non-pros....
And we all know when this starts kicking in,you will have absolutely no more thinking you leave the 9th and go tee off on 10...nonono...
management has slammed a bunch of "play niners" off in front of you.....welcome to the future...lol
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

#17782 Reasonability

Reasonability

Mirror work is a good idea.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312661
GolfWRX Likes : 32392

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:03 PM

Out of radio silence.  Sometimes (for me) the better part of valor is listening to and enjoying you gents ahead of saying anything.  I'm sure all know here know and understand that one.  

Biking is a tougher subject for me.  As said, these eyes have seen 100% avoidable things.

I want to see folks who can't drive a car like our bud Sixty have the option to bike.  I want to see folks who find some brand of physical therapy have an outlet even though in my eyes there would seem to be (what do I know) other good options.  I want to see original design and intent when roads were built be kept in mind.

When they "re-purpose" a road for a walk-a-thin, or cross-country bike event, or a run.... that's different in my mind.  The road was in effect dedicated to (re-purposed) that event for that day and it's time for the cars and trucks to find other roads, for the safety of all concerned.  FINE!

There's a city not far from here that appointed to town counsel - a "Bike Czar".  I thought that was a perfect title for it.  Someone was by-God going to ram it down the throats of anyone who disagreed that this movement is here and everyone had better get used to it.  They could have called the job "Bike Nazi" and it would have engendered the same effect in my mind.

All of this stuff to my pea brain is about common sense.  Which for whatever reason isn't common.  Mom and Dad taught me to not play in traffic - period - the end.  But we rode bikes as kids in the street.  We were careful about which streets, and when we did so.  We rode on the sidewalk or even walked the bike through more dangerous areas.  We didn't need a "Czar'.  We just needed common sense.  What a concept!

I suppose the only thing beyond safety and compassion for folks who actually might NEED to ride a bike out there the drives my take on this stuff is the angst I feel from things like a "Czar" jamming it down my throat... that and the really WEAK arguments that it's the motorist's fault when something happens.  I've seen moms and dads out there not only endangering themselves, but their own babies are strapped to their back or pulled in some sort of little bike trailer behind.

Common sense.

Can we have a "Golf Czar" to allow us to play nine holes on the interstate?  All we need to do is say, "Folks need to get used to it.  We're here and we here to stay - it's the motorists fault when one of us (or the kid strapped to our back) gets killed.

Oh well.  Smoke'm if you got'm.  Ride the bike when and wherever you want.  I've got about as much chance of getting it to go precisely to my liking as I do influencing the mega-industry known as rap.  It is what it is.  White flag waved.
A cynic sees the cost of everything
and the value of nothing.

#17783 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

View Postbillh17, on 14 June 2018 - 10:47 AM, said:

watching the Open before I go out for 9 this afternoon...the USGA has a new commercial running ,to help the problem
of the length of time it takes to play a round.
Play ready golf.....NO
Marshalls.............NO
increased tee interval.....NO
pick up after triple bogey....NO
their solution is ....When you dont have the time for a round....PLAY 9.....
This helps the ones who are now playing 9... they are in no hurry at all..because they get done in 2 3/4 instead of 5 .
The ones who are playing 18 are further screwed...more playing 9 so now 18 takes 5 1/2  
And in a few years we will start with the complaints of how long it takes to play 9.
Another great solution by the USGA which only bothers the lowly non-pros....
And we all know when this starts kicking in,you will have absolutely no more thinking you leave the 9th and go tee off on 10...nonono...
management has slammed a bunch of "play niners" off in front of you.....welcome to the future...lol

Well then I guess we're all screwed because as the walking nine hole player I'm being viewed as a problem.  I don't see it that way but there's always some mouth piece out on the course that's ready to say their piece as they zoom up to the tee box in their cart in a big hurry to go nowhere fast!  as I said in a previous post; string enough of these types of experiences together and I'll cease to be a perceived problem because I'll just pack up my old kit bag and look for something else to do rather than engage in a weekly confrontation with some tool!

As for your list of things that will help pace of play:

Ready golf helps.  Marshaling is OK too, but after you've left there's no guarantee that the group will speed up.  In fact, they're more likely to just keep doing what they were doing.

Increase the interval between tee times -- NOT HAPPENING!  No operator is going to deliberately cut their revenue if they want to stay in business.

Pick up after a triple?  Absolutely!  But this comes back to a separate issue; playing the right tees and playing the course that suits one's abilities so that you aren't forced to pick up more than the rare occasion.  Good luck with that as there's too much ego at play.  Everybody overestimates how far they hit it so you can be damned sure they overestimate their ability to handle a tough track.

Getting people conditioned to play nine holes does make sense especially if they do it walking.  Saves money and they get a bit of exercise out of the outing.  Sadly, I've run across too many guys that view nine holes and walking as a joke and they'd rather not play at all than be reduced to that!  Looks to me like we're always going to be at an impasse...  :dntknw:

Edited by scomac2002, 14 June 2018 - 12:07 PM.

TM R7 425 11.5°

TM '09 Rescue 25°
TM Burner Plus 6-PW

TM Zip 56°

#17784 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:28 PM

View PostReasonability, on 14 June 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

Out of radio silence.  Sometimes (for me) the better part of valor is listening to and enjoying you gents ahead of saying anything.  I'm sure all know here know and understand that one.  

Biking is a tougher subject for me.  As said, these eyes have seen 100% avoidable things.

I want to see folks who can't drive a car like our bud Sixty have the option to bike.  I want to see folks who find some brand of physical therapy have an outlet even though in my eyes there would seem to be (what do I know) other good options.  I want to see original design and intent when roads were built be kept in mind.

When they "re-purpose" a road for a walk-a-thin, or cross-country bike event, or a run.... that's different in my mind.  The road was in effect dedicated to (re-purposed) that event for that day and it's time for the cars and trucks to find other roads, for the safety of all concerned.  FINE!

There's a city not far from here that appointed to town counsel - a "Bike Czar".  I thought that was a perfect title for it.  Someone was by-God going to ram it down the throats of anyone who disagreed that this movement is here and everyone had better get used to it.  They could have called the job "Bike Nazi" and it would have engendered the same effect in my mind.

All of this stuff to my pea brain is about common sense.  Which for whatever reason isn't common.  Mom and Dad taught me to not play in traffic - period - the end.  But we rode bikes as kids in the street.  We were careful about which streets, and when we did so.  We rode on the sidewalk or even walked the bike through more dangerous areas.  We didn't need a "Czar'.  We just needed common sense.  What a concept!

I suppose the only thing beyond safety and compassion for folks who actually might NEED to ride a bike out there the drives my take on this stuff is the angst I feel from things like a "Czar" jamming it down my throat... that and the really WEAK arguments that it's the motorist's fault when something happens.  I've seen moms and dads out there not only endangering themselves, but their own babies are strapped to their back or pulled in some sort of little bike trailer behind.

Common sense.

Can we have a "Golf Czar" to allow us to play nine holes on the interstate?  All we need to do is say, "Folks need to get used to it.  We're here and we here to stay - it's the motorists fault when one of us (or the kid strapped to our back) gets killed.

Oh well.  Smoke'm if you got'm.  Ride the bike when and wherever you want.  I've got about as much chance of getting it to go precisely to my liking as I do influencing the mega-industry known as rap.  It is what it is.  White flag waved.

I can tell that you haven't been to Holland.  ;)

In the Netherlands cyclists have the primary right of way.  Next comes pedestrians and lastly comes the lowly car driver.  Now you must keep in mind that the Netherlands has spectacular cycling infrastructure because it is the primary means of transportation in that country -- full stop!  Totally segregated lanes, their own rules of the road that are strictly followed and enforced.  Purpose built bikes for transport and utility.  You don't see a bunch of spandex clad middle aged men on overpriced carbon fibre racing bikes pretending to be Lance Armstrong.  If you want to get around in Amsterdam, cycling is the means of choice.  It's much quicker than by car!

What I've described is actually the model that many major North American cities are attempting to aspire to.  A safe way to incorporate cycling for transportation into the greater transportation infrastructure.  It works for me even though it scares the beejeezus out of others who think I'd be just as well served in a gym setting riding some stationary bike to some sort of preset routine on a video monitor.  That maybe OK in the winter, but when you've got weather and the great outdoors, why coop yourself up and have to fork out a monthly fee for the privilege?  What this whole argument comes down to I think is that you get a segment of the population that don't want to have to pay for something they view as a frill that they aren't going to use.  With that in mind, I think that it is reasonable that cyclists be expected to contribute financially through licencing or some other means.  One thing is for certain that this is a contentious issue no matter where you are as there's an expense incurred to accommodate bikes within our roadways.

TM R7 425 11.5°

TM '09 Rescue 25°
TM Burner Plus 6-PW

TM Zip 56°

#17785 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:13 PM

View Postscomac2002, on 14 June 2018 - 12:28 PM, said:

View PostReasonability, on 14 June 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

Common sense.

I can tell that you haven't been to Holland.  ;)

In the Netherlands cyclists have the primary right of way.  Next comes pedestrians and lastly comes the lowly car driver.  Now you must keep in mind that the Netherlands has spectacular cycling infrastructure because it is the primary means of transportation in that country -- full stop!  Totally segregated lanes, their own rules of the road that are strictly followed and enforced.  Purpose built bikes for transport and utility.  You don't see a bunch of spandex clad middle aged men on overpriced carbon fibre racing bikes pretending to be Lance Armstrong.  If you want to get around in Amsterdam, cycling is the means of choice.  It's much quicker than by car!

What I've described is actually the model that many major North American cities are attempting to aspire to.  A safe way to incorporate cycling for transportation into the greater transportation infrastructure.  It works for me even though it scares the beejeezus out of others who think I'd be just as well served in a gym setting riding some stationary bike to some sort of preset routine on a video monitor.  That maybe OK in the winter, but when you've got weather and the great outdoors, why coop yourself up and have to fork out a monthly fee for the privilege?  What this whole argument comes down to I think is that you get a segment of the population that don't want to have to pay for something they view as a frill that they aren't going to use.  With that in mind, I think that it is reasonable that cyclists be expected to contribute financially through licencing or some other means.  One thing is for certain that this is a contentious issue no matter where you are as there's an expense incurred to accommodate bikes within our roadways.

We agree for sure on this much...

Design and intent.

The Netherlands saw it coming right up front.  Designed and built for it.  We didn't (at least not around here we didn't).  You can't turn this local area into the Netherlands without killing people.  That's the core of what get's me bugged about it.  

My words and thoughts on the whole subject would be moot in the Netherlands.  They addressed my concerns right up front through appropriate design and intent.

I'm all out of bullets on this one.  What I say has leaves about the same dent as pulling my hand out of a bucket of water. lol.    .

#17786 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:38 PM

Fella mentioned one a page or two ago I'll hop on....

Bathroom attendants.

VERY ambivalent and here's why.

The Charlotte airport bathrooms (one and all) have a guy standing there.  Where exactly he comes from must be some home or society or something for folks with fairly obvious mental impairment.

I don't need "help" zipping or wiping or doing my business.  (Might go to the wrong bathroom but I can get it done on my own once there - lol).
At the airport, there sits little disposable cups of mouthwash, a basket of mints, and little odds/ends... and a big jar next to it that says, "TIPS".

Enter the ambivalence.  A voice on one shoulder is telling me this poor soul FINALLY has a day-to-day job and purpose.  Probably for the first time, even though he leaves still smelling a massive dump and has to stand there offering up his little freebies in hopes of snagging a little coin, he's at least got SOMETHING for once in his life he can call a job.  

Sure want to help the guy out.

Voice on one shoulder saying, "Really?  I'm almost obligated here when all I wanted to do was get in and get out hopefully with the fly zipped up and not dragging three feet of toilet paper on my shoe."  

On the other shoulder, "This poor soul needs a break.  Get over your little need for an unassisted in/out trip and go in that wallet, thank the guy, and try peeing out a little stodgy behavior while you're at it."

So...when in a huge hurry to catch a plane and such... I've stood right next to the basket of mints while washing hands and ignored the guy standing there.  AND... I've caught myself giving him a kindness, a tip, and helped the poor fellow out with a smile.  

Old Reason is capable of being either guy and conflicted about it to boot.   Still ambivalent about it.  Not even sure if I agree it's right to prop an impaired human up to stand in bathroom stink all day for the privilege of feeling productive.  Just that much alone almost makes me cringe.  I know I couldn't do it but they do.  Is it the right or wrong thing to even do to people?   I dunno.  All I know is they do it.

Edited by Reasonability, 14 June 2018 - 01:41 PM.

#17787 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:53 PM

View PostSixtySomePing, on 14 June 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

The Old Man and the Bike

There was a great old man in our town who passed away 3 weeks ago. He was 92, and the reason I bring him up is a bicycle. My dad was a really great man also, and he lived with us up until he passed away here in town in 2003 at the age of 79. He had already quit driving his truck, quit driving altogether, so I can connect with the way he felt about that quite a bit. He was still always wanting to get around, to fix something, to be as independent as possible, so he bought this Schwinn bike, the old style with no change of gears, just a bike, except it was a tricycle. That way he could ride it to Lowe’s when we were at work, or wherever he wanted to, to get stuff he needed to do ‘work’ around the house. Sometimes we would be driving by and there he would be, going the other way, right in the road, cars slowing, just to go around him. I would say later, ‘Dad, make sure you’re careful on that bike’…. Now I understand it was his way of being free. I’m just glad we didn’t make any real big deal out of it, he wasn’t on a major road, and I think he liked the challenge of getting out and playing actually. Anyway, back to the guy who just passed away. The Autumn right before my dad passed away, he finally sold that tricycle to this guy who died this May. That means he was nearly my dad’s age when he bought the bike. After dad passed away, we would see this other guy, trudging around town on this bike, maybe with library books in the back like dad would do, or a few groceries. It would almost bring tears to my eyes. Now that I can’t drive I can really understand these guys and their need to not lose their independence, their integrity.
If you see an old person, whatever they are doing, wherever they are, realize they are trying still to be of some value, if to no one but themselves. They still need to know that they matter. Appreciate them for continuing to try. It will be you some day before you know it.

And there it is.

The depth of who we are is positioned amidst who we're here with.

None of us will remember in the days and weeks ahead in the Grille or in life what was or wasn't solved on the great "bike discussion".

But all of us will be just a little different person thanks to this one.

Atta-boy Sixty.  Atta-boy.

#17788 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 49289

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:00 PM

Watching the US Open on USOpen.com. Small amount of chatter. Very good. Watched Phil, Jordan
and Rory. Now watching the featured group of Tiger, DJ and JT. Check it out if you don't like the
normal TV coverage. 2 featured groups going on now plus holes 7,9 and 11.

#17789 scotee

scotee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

View PostSixtySomePing, on 14 June 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

The Old Man and the Bike

There was a great old man in our town who passed away 3 weeks ago. He was 92, and the reason I bring him up is a bicycle. My dad was a really great man also, and he lived with us up until he passed away here in town in 2003 at the age of 79. He had already quit driving his truck, quit driving altogether, so I can connect with the way he felt about that quite a bit. He was still always wanting to get around, to fix something, to be as independent as possible, so he bought this Schwinn bike, the old style with no change of gears, just a bike, except it was a tricycle. That way he could ride it to Lowe’s when we were at work, or wherever he wanted to, to get stuff he needed to do ‘work’ around the house. Sometimes we would be driving by and there he would be, going the other way, right in the road, cars slowing, just to go around him. I would say later, ‘Dad, make sure you’re careful on that bike’…. Now I understand it was his way of being free. I’m just glad we didn’t make any real big deal out of it, he wasn’t on a major road, and I think he liked the challenge of getting out and playing actually. Anyway, back to the guy who just passed away. The Autumn right before my dad passed away, he finally sold that tricycle to this guy who died this May. That means he was nearly my dad’s age when he bought the bike. After dad passed away, we would see this other guy, trudging around town on this bike, maybe with library books in the back like dad would do, or a few groceries. It would almost bring tears to my eyes. Now that I can’t drive I can really understand these guys and their need to not lose their independence, their integrity.
If you see an old person, whatever they are doing, wherever they are, realize they are trying still to be of some value, if to no one but themselves. They still need to know that they matter. Appreciate them for continuing to try. It will be you some day before you know it.

Great story Six!  It was a good thing to pass that along to someone else who could enjoy it for so long. I can see how you would have those emotions seeing something being used that was part of your dad in that way, almost like a donated organ.

Seeing your post and that trike pic brought me back to 7th or 8th grade. My mom's great uncle had one much like that. When he died for some reason I got it. It was just weird enough to be "cool" for me to ride it around town and to the swimming pool in summer. You might have thought the other kids would make fun of my tricycle but like I said they thought it was cool. Mine had a 2 speed coaster break no hands shift and of course the basket.  Mine was not passed to someone in need but to a teen age kid who rode it for kicks.  I can't remember what we did with it when I got another bicycle.
Turn the mass

OGA member #15

#17790 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:31 PM

SCo...if they ever do try to tell the 9 hole walkers they MUST rent a cart,I could see a lot of them quitting. I would have to consider
if i wanted to continue or not. I read that the practice is gaining momentum cross the country ...forcing  a cart fee even if you are
walking. You can still walk,but must pay a cart fee....the one course close to here started a "12 hole" round....The reduced green fees
publicized got everyones attention....until the 12 hole thing was noticed...that marketing lasted 30 days...back to 18   lol
Have no clue how it can be improved but i am lucky. I have been more bothered by speeders than slower players. The group I play
with once a week,is usually 2 foursomes...18 takes about 3:50 to 4:15...we have been playing together since we were all youngsters in our 20's.
We all remember a round back in those days taking about....3:50 to 4:15...lol   People who live in more populated areas  see more crowded
courses in a month than i will see in a year. We all laugh at the guys who start whining when they are behind us on the first tee., Usually leave them a hole behind by the 5th..It will be interesting to see what solutions they come up with in the next few years.

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors