Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 9 votes

Clubhouse Grille

fellowship good spirit

17129 replies to this topic

#17041 Reasonability

Reasonability

    Mirror work is a good idea.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312661
  • Joined: 05/02/2014
  • Location:On the jouney
GolfWRX Likes : 28426

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

Bucket list.

Selfishly, a pilgrimage to play the famous old courses in England/Ireland sure would be nice.  These pics of the PNW and Ohio are surely inviting as well.  For better or worse, decades of work related trips have taken the romance out of travel.  

Mrs. R has no issues visiting and would certainly enjoy living on the coast one day.  Hearing Stu describe the on slot of tourists in his neck of the woods kinda makes me wonder where and when.

This may sound strange, but a thought passes through my mind quite often.  I imagine life in a rocking chair with a folded blanket on my lap and staring off at the horizon.  It's not a morbid thought, just simply a contemplation of what it is I'll look back on and remember fondly.  The last thing I want in those days is regrets over having crapped on people, was a lousy friend, and worse a terrible family man.  

So this bucket list would primarily be filled with quality time spent having a blast with those closest to me - wherever and whenever the opportunities present themselves.  If that much can happen, then the rocking chair stare over the horizon will be met with smiling eyes if nothing else.  That much would be plenty for this old golfer.

One lottery ticket from mapping out quite a different bucket list.  Oh I'd go big with unlimited resources.  Mrs. R would have multiple beach homes to pick from as we fire up the jet - lol.

A cynic sees the cost of everything
and the value of nothing.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#17042 Reasonability

Reasonability

    Mirror work is a good idea.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312661
  • Joined: 05/02/2014
  • Location:On the jouney
GolfWRX Likes : 28426

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:37 PM

Apologies to the gang for turning a simple/fun bucket list question into a philosophical thing.

My bad.

Here's some things for sure that are NOT on the bucket list:

1.  Being interviewed by Nancy Grace.

2.  Taste testing chocolate covered cherries.

3.  Abdominal cramps on a treeless, bushless, exitless highway or golf course.

4.  Becoming a "how to" walk over hot coals coach.

5.  Being a wrx Mod.

6.  The first man to be blown from North Carolina to Arkansas in a wind storm.
A cynic sees the cost of everything
and the value of nothing.

2

#17043 scotee

scotee

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69498
  • Joined: 11/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 10672

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:08 PM

View PostReasonability, on 16 May 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

Bucket list.

Selfishly, a pilgrimage to play the famous old courses in England/Ireland sure would be nice.  These pics of the PNW and Ohio are surely inviting as well.  For better or worse, decades of work related trips have taken the romance out of travel.  

Mrs. R has no issues visiting and would certainly enjoy living on the coast one day.  Hearing Stu describe the on slot of tourists in his neck of the woods kinda makes me wonder where and when.

This may sound strange, but a thought passes through my mind quite often.  I imagine life in a rocking chair with a folded blanket on my lap and staring off at the horizon.  It's not a morbid thought, just simply a contemplation of what it is I'll look back on and remember fondly.  The last thing I want in those days is regrets over having crapped on people, was a lousy friend, and worse a terrible family man.  

So this bucket list would primarily be filled with quality time spent having a blast with those closest to me - wherever and whenever the opportunities present themselves.  If that much can happen, then the rocking chair stare over the horizon will be met with smiling eyes if nothing else.  That much would be plenty for this old golfer.

One lottery ticket from mapping out quite a different bucket list.  Oh I'd go big with unlimited resources.  Mrs. R would have multiple beach homes to pick from as we fire up the jet - lol.

Hey Judge. A bit of philosophy is a good thing at our age. Funny how it changes over time and experience. I used to foolishly think that spending money on travel or adventure was a waste.  The trip or party or whatever would be done in no time at all and what would you have left? I thought it better to spend on some thing. Something tangible and material that would last. I have come to my senses and realize that money spent sharing with others on good experiences is such a great investment!  What do you have left?  You have memories and shared memories are the best of all. Memories that can be passed down even better!  And those material things? You might enjoy them for awhile but someone is going to have to fight over them, give them away or throw them away when we are gone. What a waste! So you got it right about the rocking chair!  Nothing wrong with that.
Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

3

#17044 scotee

scotee

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69498
  • Joined: 11/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 10672

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

View PostSixtySomePing, on 16 May 2018 - 06:33 AM, said:

My bucket list golf course, which I may never get to play, if I do, then it will never be on my bucket list.. who has bucket lists in life and what's on them? This is Pronghorn in Bend Oregon...
My bucket list also includes skydiving (once) (well that includes landing too), going to Alaska, simply getting a hole in one (been playing now for 52 years-what the?) and a few other things, but I'd like to hear from others too...

Hey Six. I've heard you don't need a parachute to go skydiving.














You only need it to skydive more than once ;)
Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

4

#17045 scomac2002

scomac2002

    Inside the Starters' Hut

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
  • Joined: 06/22/2010
  • Location:The Great White North
GolfWRX Likes : 12306

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:03 PM

View Postscotee, on 16 May 2018 - 01:08 PM, said:

View PostReasonability, on 16 May 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

Bucket list.

Selfishly, a pilgrimage to play the famous old courses in England/Ireland sure would be nice.  These pics of the PNW and Ohio are surely inviting as well.  For better or worse, decades of work related trips have taken the romance out of travel.  

Mrs. R has no issues visiting and would certainly enjoy living on the coast one day.  Hearing Stu describe the on slot of tourists in his neck of the woods kinda makes me wonder where and when.

This may sound strange, but a thought passes through my mind quite often.  I imagine life in a rocking chair with a folded blanket on my lap and staring off at the horizon.  It's not a morbid thought, just simply a contemplation of what it is I'll look back on and remember fondly.  The last thing I want in those days is regrets over having crapped on people, was a lousy friend, and worse a terrible family man.  

So this bucket list would primarily be filled with quality time spent having a blast with those closest to me - wherever and whenever the opportunities present themselves.  If that much can happen, then the rocking chair stare over the horizon will be met with smiling eyes if nothing else.  That much would be plenty for this old golfer.

One lottery ticket from mapping out quite a different bucket list.  Oh I'd go big with unlimited resources.  Mrs. R would have multiple beach homes to pick from as we fire up the jet - lol.

Hey Judge. A bit of philosophy is a good thing at our age. Funny how it changes over time and experience. I used to foolishly think that spending money on travel or adventure was a waste.  The trip or party or whatever would be done in no time at all and what would you have left? I thought it better to spend on some thing. Something tangible and material that would last. I have come to my senses and realize that money spent sharing with others on good experiences is such a great investment!  What do you have left?  You have memories and shared memories are the best of all. Memories that can be passed down even better!  And those material things? You might enjoy them for awhile but someone is going to have to fight over them, give them away or throw them away when we are gone. What a waste! So you got it right about the rocking chair!  Nothing wrong with that.

I agree as well.  Money spent on experiences and sharing with others is far more rewarding than the rampant pursuit of material goods.  I'm finding this out in no uncertain terms as we are facing continuous bills to keep our property to our satisfaction.  It's one thing if you can maintain it yourself, but entirely different if you have to pay someone else to do it!  For the life of me I don't know how anyone with multiple properties does it short of being independently wealthy, but I suppose that's part and parcel to it.  Just today I got a bill for $320 for a minor deck repair and fixing a broken window.  I was looking into getting a couple of loads of fresh gravel for our driveway and that's going to run $550 per load.  I was out shopping for bedding plants yesterday for six planters and that will set me back $200-$300!  $75 here, $100 there, It never ends.  This little undertaking is making a golf membership look cheap by comparison!

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!


Titleist 913 D2 12° RIP Phenom 50R
Cobra Baffler F 15.5°/20° Motore 60R

TM '09 Rescue 25° ReAx 65R
Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R
Vokey SM 6 52/08 F grind S-200
Vokey SM 6 58/10 S grind S-200
SeeMore PTM 3
Bridgestone e5

5

#17046 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144465
  • Joined: 10/28/2011
  • Location:Central Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 15932

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:40 PM

View Postscotee, on 16 May 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

View PostSixtySomePing, on 16 May 2018 - 06:33 AM, said:

My bucket list golf course, which I may never get to play, if I do, then it will never be on my bucket list.. who has bucket lists in life and what's on them? This is Pronghorn in Bend Oregon...
My bucket list also includes skydiving (once) (well that includes landing too), going to Alaska, simply getting a hole in one (been playing now for 52 years-what the?) and a few other things, but I'd like to hear from others too...

Hey Six. I've heard you don't need a parachute to go skydiving.














You only need it to skydive more than once ;)
I 'spose as long as it's not more than 25,000 feet like this guy did, remember this???

Outlaw Golf Association #11

6

#17047 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144465
  • Joined: 10/28/2011
  • Location:Central Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 15932

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:47 PM

Couple more things on my bucket list now that Senior Reason has reminded me has been to play golf in Ireland or Great Britain or Scotland... another is my wife and I to go to the east coast and have a vacation eating fresh lobstah and whatever else type of fresh caught fish etc comes our way via very homey restaurants on the shores of New England...
Outlaw Golf Association #11

7

#17048 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

    Hotel California Escapee

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Joined: 09/24/2008
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 45869

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

View Postscotee, on 16 May 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

View PostSixtySomePing, on 16 May 2018 - 06:33 AM, said:

My bucket list golf course, which I may never get to play, if I do, then it will never be on my bucket list.. who has bucket lists in life and what's on them? This is Pronghorn in Bend Oregon...
My bucket list also includes skydiving (once) (well that includes landing too), going to Alaska, simply getting a hole in one (been playing now for 52 years-what the?) and a few other things, but I'd like to hear from others too...

Hey Six. I've heard you don't need a parachute to go skydiving.














You only need it to skydive more than once ;)

I jumped out of a plane once.........when I was young and adventurous; at Elsinore Paracenter in SoCal. No
skydiving though. Was a static line jump from about 3000 feet. Loved it but it was a one time deal for me. No
one had bucket lists back then so I just checked it off whatever list I had at the time, lol.

I wish I still had the pic. I would post it here.............me in my white jumpsuit just as I jumped out...the instructor
guy snapped pics of each of us as we jumped outta the plane. He told us it was safer jumping out of that plane
than landing in it. It was an old DC3. My memory of the whole experience is still pretty vivid even though it was
40 years ago in 1978.
Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

8

#17049 scotee

scotee

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69498
  • Joined: 11/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 10672

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:43 PM

View PostConrad1953, on 16 May 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

View Postscotee, on 16 May 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

View PostSixtySomePing, on 16 May 2018 - 06:33 AM, said:

My bucket list golf course, which I may never get to play, if I do, then it will never be on my bucket list.. who has bucket lists in life and what's on them? This is Pronghorn in Bend Oregon...
My bucket list also includes skydiving (once) (well that includes landing too), going to Alaska, simply getting a hole in one (been playing now for 52 years-what the?) and a few other things, but I'd like to hear from others too...

Hey Six. I've heard you don't need a parachute to go skydiving.














You only need it to skydive more than once ;)

I jumped out of a plane once.........when I was young and adventurous; at Elsinore Paracenter in SoCal. No
skydiving though. Was a static line jump from about 3000 feet. Loved it but it was a one time deal for me. No
one had bucket lists back then so I just checked it off whatever list I had at the time, lol.

I wish I still had the pic. I would post it here.............me in my white jumpsuit just as I jumped out...the instructor
guy snapped pics of each of us as we jumped outta the plane. He told us it was safer jumping out of that plane
than landing in it. It was an old DC3. My memory of the whole experience is still pretty vivid even though it was
40 years ago in 1978.

Very cool!  I have never jumped. When I was in college I would drive out there and watch the hang gliders fly off of the mountain just south of the lake and land by the shore. I did do one training flight in a hang glider over by Corona. I got up over 50 ft. and made a less than perfect but otherwise safe landing.
Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

9

#17050 Reasonability

Reasonability

    Mirror work is a good idea.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312661
  • Joined: 05/02/2014
  • Location:On the jouney
GolfWRX Likes : 28426

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:01 PM

Am reminded of Radro's avatar at this point in Grille history.  There's a reason they call it "terminal" velocity.

Admire those who have the brass hardware to leap from a flying plane.  Will wait for you on Terra Firma.  You remember Terra?  She's Wanda Firma's sister. .

A cynic sees the cost of everything
and the value of nothing.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#17051 scomac2002

scomac2002

    Inside the Starters' Hut

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
  • Joined: 06/22/2010
  • Location:The Great White North
GolfWRX Likes : 12306

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

View PostConrad1953, on 16 May 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

View Postscotee, on 16 May 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

View PostSixtySomePing, on 16 May 2018 - 06:33 AM, said:

My bucket list golf course, which I may never get to play, if I do, then it will never be on my bucket list.. who has bucket lists in life and what's on them? This is Pronghorn in Bend Oregon...
My bucket list also includes skydiving (once) (well that includes landing too), going to Alaska, simply getting a hole in one (been playing now for 52 years-what the?) and a few other things, but I'd like to hear from others too...

Hey Six. I've heard you don't need a parachute to go skydiving.














You only need it to skydive more than once ;)

I jumped out of a plane once.........when I was young and adventurous; at Elsinore Paracenter in SoCal. No
skydiving though. Was a static line jump from about 3000 feet. Loved it but it was a one time deal for me. No
one had bucket lists back then so I just checked it off whatever list I had at the time, lol.

I wish I still had the pic. I would post it here.............me in my white jumpsuit just as I jumped out...the instructor
guy snapped pics of each of us as we jumped outta the plane. He told us it was safer jumping out of that plane
than landing in it. It was an old DC3. My memory of the whole experience is still pretty vivid even though it was
40 years ago in 1978.

Talking about old planes and memories...

I live about 5 miles from the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum.  It's one of the few flying museums where the exhibits actually are airworthy.  It's quite the place now compared to its humble beginnings some 35+ years ago where the planes were housed in an old WWII vintage hangar at a small regional airport.

I was an air cadet back in the day and as was standard operating procedure, I joined the local airforce club wing, the 447 when I got to legal drinking age.  In the early days of air shows and vintage aircraft there were certain perks if you were an "insider".  One of the great thrills of my life was being invited to sit in the co-pilots chair of the museum's B-25 Mitchell as the pilot ran up the engines and taxied the plane to position it on the flight line for the show.  I didn't get to go up, but with those Pratt & Whitneys screaming in my ear, it was a real rush!  I swear to god that the prop tips were within a foot of my head sitting inside the plane the fit was that tight!  

The first few years of those air shows were a special time before the realities of crowd safety and liability insurance dictated who got near an operating aircraft.  I met a lot of great people that owned some pretty amazing planes.  There would routinely be pilots coming up from the Confederate Airforce in Texas with their steeds.  I remember one lady in particular who flew a P-40 Tomahawk who was a real number.  She was a former WAAC's and her husband, a naval aviator, flew an F6F Hellcat.  Sadly, you wouldn't get a sniff of meeting these folks or putting your hands on their aircraft in this day and age.

Earlier this year, my wife and I went to look into a senior living community that about 45 minutes or so from home.  That day we ran into a couple walking within the gated community and it turns out that the fellow was a member of the Warplane Heritage museum and was actually part of the current flight crew for the Mitchell!  I didn't tell him about my experience so many years ago, but I do have a talking point should I ever run into him again in the future.
Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!


Titleist 913 D2 12° RIP Phenom 50R
Cobra Baffler F 15.5°/20° Motore 60R

TM '09 Rescue 25° ReAx 65R
Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R
Vokey SM 6 52/08 F grind S-200
Vokey SM 6 58/10 S grind S-200
SeeMore PTM 3
Bridgestone e5

11

#17052 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144465
  • Joined: 10/28/2011
  • Location:Central Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 15932

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:02 PM

B-25 is a very cool plane. My dad flew on the B-24. As far as I know there are none of those flying any more. We have one here at the National Air Force Museum in Dayton  http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/ I would love to see your Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. That's very cool that you got to sit in the co-pilot's chair with the engines roaring. Like you said, the props are just seemingly right outside the window... is this pic pretty much what the cockpit looked like?

Attached Thumbnails

  • 061019-F-1234P-040.JPG

Outlaw Golf Association #11

12

#17053 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

    Hotel California Escapee

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Joined: 09/24/2008
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 45869

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:19 PM

View Postscotee, on 16 May 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostConrad1953, on 16 May 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

View Postscotee, on 16 May 2018 - 01:36 PM, said:

View PostSixtySomePing, on 16 May 2018 - 06:33 AM, said:

My bucket list golf course, which I may never get to play, if I do, then it will never be on my bucket list.. who has bucket lists in life and what's on them? This is Pronghorn in Bend Oregon...
My bucket list also includes skydiving (once) (well that includes landing too), going to Alaska, simply getting a hole in one (been playing now for 52 years-what the?) and a few other things, but I'd like to hear from others too...

Hey Six. I've heard you don't need a parachute to go skydiving.














You only need it to skydive more than once ;)

I jumped out of a plane once.........when I was young and adventurous; at Elsinore Paracenter in SoCal. No
skydiving though. Was a static line jump from about 3000 feet. Loved it but it was a one time deal for me. No
one had bucket lists back then so I just checked it off whatever list I had at the time, lol.

I wish I still had the pic. I would post it here.............me in my white jumpsuit just as I jumped out...the instructor
guy snapped pics of each of us as we jumped outta the plane. He told us it was safer jumping out of that plane
than landing in it. It was an old DC3. My memory of the whole experience is still pretty vivid even though it was
40 years ago in 1978.

Very cool!  I have never jumped. When I was in college I would drive out there and watch the hang gliders fly off of the mountain just south of the lake and land by the shore. I did do one training flight in a hang glider over by Corona. I got up over 50 ft. and made a less than perfect but otherwise safe landing.

I made a less than perfect landing as well. The winds that day were borderline and we almost didn't get to go up. The
instructor warned us not to look at the ground when we were getting close........something called "ground rush" will take
over your senses and make you feel like you're racing for a brutal collision even though you're not falling that fast with
the chute on.

Anyway, he also told us that as soon as we hit the ground we needed to chase down our chutes immediately and collapse
them or else, because of the wind, the chutes would drag us across the ground and we might not be able to get up until
something stopped the chute.

So, I would like to say I stayed on my feet but I didn't because in addition to falling from the sky I was also moving about
15 mph along the ground because of the wind.........so I landed and tumbled a bit but then I jumped up quickly and ran
down my chute post haste cause I was not gonna let that thing drag me around for who knows how long.

Once the lot of us was reaching the ground, those of us who managed to get on our feet quickly ended up running around
trying to help the ones getting dragged around. It was quite a scene until everyone was safely on their feet again. There
were about 30 of us who jumped that day.........and, surprisingly........none chickened out........because in our group there
were a few girls that jumped........so none of the guys dared to ride the plane back down and take the heat for being a
wuss, lol.
Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

13

#17054 scomac2002

scomac2002

    Inside the Starters' Hut

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
  • Joined: 06/22/2010
  • Location:The Great White North
GolfWRX Likes : 12306

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

View PostSixtySomePing, on 16 May 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

B-25 is a very cool plane. My dad flew on the B-24. As far as I know there are none of those flying any more. We have one here at the National Air Force Museum in Dayton  http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/ I would love to see your Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. That's very cool that you got to sit in the co-pilot's chair with the engines roaring. Like you said, the props are just seemingly right outside the window... is this pic pretty much what the cockpit looked like?

Seems about right as best I can remember.  I remember a ladder that you climbed from just behind the nose wheel into the fuselage.  There was a crawl space to get to the bombardier's position in the nose and then a big step pull up into the cockpit.  The dorsal turret was right behind us and above the bomb bay.  It was pretty spartan conditions; definitely not built for comfort with the standard monochromatic colour scheme of zinc chromate.

When you think about it the B-25 was a pretty compact plane for what it was being asked to do,  No wonder they figured they could launch them from a carrier.  Everything for the crew was tight as was often the case for combat aircraft back in the day.  6 footers need not apply!

[Added] My favourite aircraft in the collection from the early years was the Lt. Grey Memorial F4U Corsair.  Sadly, it was lost in a hangar fire that lead to the building of the current museum structure.  AS is the nature of a flying museum there have been losses over the years with several planes lost to mishaps of various sorts with the most tragic being the crash of the Fairey Firefly during the Canadian International Airshow into Lake Ontario at Toronto in 1977 resulting in the loss of founder Allan Ness.

Edited by scomac2002, 16 May 2018 - 09:16 PM.

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!


Titleist 913 D2 12° RIP Phenom 50R
Cobra Baffler F 15.5°/20° Motore 60R

TM '09 Rescue 25° ReAx 65R
Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R
Vokey SM 6 52/08 F grind S-200
Vokey SM 6 58/10 S grind S-200
SeeMore PTM 3
Bridgestone e5

14

#17055 Reasonability

Reasonability

    Mirror work is a good idea.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312661
  • Joined: 05/02/2014
  • Location:On the jouney
GolfWRX Likes : 28426

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:45 PM


A cynic sees the cost of everything
and the value of nothing.

15

#17056 scotee

scotee

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69498
  • Joined: 11/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 10672

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:40 PM

http://www.businessi...medium=referral

It's Yanny to me

Should anyone care?

Edited by scotee, 16 May 2018 - 10:51 PM.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

16

#17057 Reasonability

Reasonability

    Mirror work is a good idea.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312661
  • Joined: 05/02/2014
  • Location:On the jouney
GolfWRX Likes : 28426

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:54 PM

View Postscotee, on 16 May 2018 - 10:40 PM, said:

http://www.businessi...medium=referral

It's Yanny to me

Should anyone care?

Spooky.  Sitting here in front of a late night talk show host debating this whole thing at the very second your post hit the wires.

It's gone "viral".  I always wanted to say that - lol.  There's one more off the bucket list!
A cynic sees the cost of everything
and the value of nothing.

17

#17058 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

    Hotel California Escapee

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Joined: 09/24/2008
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 45869

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:20 PM

Sounds like Yanny to me.

Now...................on my QUALCOMM unit in my truck I have the option of having my messages read to
me or reading them myself. When I have them read to me........a ladies voice..........reads them pretty
well..............but some words are unintelligible and I have to guess WTH she's saying......and I seldom
guess right and I have to read the message to find out. I'm going to start calling her Yanny.
Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

18

#17059 scomac2002

scomac2002

    Inside the Starters' Hut

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
  • Joined: 06/22/2010
  • Location:The Great White North
GolfWRX Likes : 12306

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:08 AM

Sorry boys, it's Laurel to me.  Perfectly clear too.  Now if you want to talk about strange pronunciations of words, the voice recognition in a SYNC equipped Ford can come up with some pretty interesting interpretations...
Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!


Titleist 913 D2 12° RIP Phenom 50R
Cobra Baffler F 15.5°/20° Motore 60R

TM '09 Rescue 25° ReAx 65R
Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R
Vokey SM 6 52/08 F grind S-200
Vokey SM 6 58/10 S grind S-200
SeeMore PTM 3
Bridgestone e5

19

#17060 tolmij

tolmij

    Living in paradise

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173716
  • Joined: 04/08/2012
  • Location:Queensland Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 14522

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:21 AM

We had a bucket list that included plenty of travel when I retired, it was all planned and costed. Then. Somehow my finger fell off, I had to leave work early, my compensation and retirement fund was used to pay off the house ( no income) so it all went away.

No bucket Iist now as we are happy as we are.

Trees were felled today, the main trunk is still standing as it would be too much wood to cut up in one go, shortly he will be returning to take those down and cut them up. Was extremely impressed with the arborist, worked extremely hard and fully cleaned up when finished, we now have heaps of fire wood drying out and mountains of wood hip for the back garden. As we were keeping all the wood we had a very large rebate as he did not have to pay to drop off the wood at the local tip.

Edited by tolmij, 17 May 2018 - 05:30 AM.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride


A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#17061 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144465
  • Joined: 10/28/2011
  • Location:Central Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 15932

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:32 AM

Besides, the thought of Yanny and Hardy turning in their graves.... ugh

Attached Thumbnails

  • th (2).jpeg

Outlaw Golf Association #11

21

#17062 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

    BMW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Joined: 09/19/2011
  • Location:Phoenix, Az
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2110

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

Its Laurel to me.  I had to have heard it 20 times yesterday as it was on every single news station and was flooding my IG feed.  I heard Laurel every time lol.
Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 910F 19*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi BB40

22

#17063 Reasonability

Reasonability

    Mirror work is a good idea.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312661
  • Joined: 05/02/2014
  • Location:On the jouney
GolfWRX Likes : 28426

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

Bill - if you're tuning-in, what are your thoughts going into this season on single length irons???  Are they a yea or nay in your book?

Scomacer - What's the "T-minus" countdown number?  How many more days/weeks to the big event???

Sixty - I'll be away for a couple of days visiting family.  Wanted to go ahead and wish Mrs. Sixty the happiest B'day.  Wish you could have journeyed with her to NC.   We perhaps could have stolen away for a cup of coffee or something "grille-like".  Maybe someday along the way it can happen.  Have relatives in Ohio but they're a considerable drive from you and Bill.

Lobs - How's the back doing?  Any improvement on that front?

Tol - I enjoy your use of language.  The "tip" for example.  Around here that's something we'd provide a restaurant server like Cyndie for taking good care of us.  You've often got a little something in your posts that catch the eye that way.

Scotee - Where's the next planned road trip going to take you guys?  If you get to a great big pond and the sun sets over it, I personally would recommend turning around unless the rig is outfitted with pontoons or something James Bond-like.

Wriggs - You've got to be out there somewhere.  We're going to have to move from wrx to ham radios here for your sake.  (Why is called a ham radio rather than a pork radio, or beef radio, or veggie radio?)

Radro - Take over the Juke for a couple of days.  Remember - Disco will send Fella fishing so I'd go easy on that one.  LOL.

Stu - Once you drive back through the Grille, we'd love it if you could go back a page or so and tell us your thoughts on drivers and lead tape.

If I managed to ignore anyone here, charge it to my empty head and not a stone-cold heart.

View PostSilverBullets, on 17 May 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

Its Laurel to me.  I had to have heard it 20 times yesterday as it was on every single news station and was flooding my IG feed.  I heard Laurel every time lol.

Hey Buds!  Getting a little warmer your way???  Around here rains have decided to just sit on top of us for a while.
A cynic sees the cost of everything
and the value of nothing.

23

#17064 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,897 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 15892

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:07 AM

View Postscomac2002, on 17 May 2018 - 02:08 AM, said:

Sorry boys, it's Laurel to me.  Perfectly clear too.  Now if you want to talk about strange pronunciations of words, the voice recognition in a SYNC equipped Ford can come up with some pretty interesting interpretations...

Lol, I couldn't hear Laurel until I tried this....click play and you can "dial" the sound until you hear both. Even all the way to the left, it still to me a bit to hear Laurel


We Made a Tool So You Can
Hear Both Yanny and Laurel



https://www.nytimes....rel-debate.html

Edited by bscinstnct, 17 May 2018 - 11:07 AM.


24

#17065 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144465
  • Joined: 10/28/2011
  • Location:Central Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 15932

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

View Postbscinstnct, on 17 May 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

View Postscomac2002, on 17 May 2018 - 02:08 AM, said:

Sorry boys, it's Laurel to me.  Perfectly clear too.  Now if you want to talk about strange pronunciations of words, the voice recognition in a SYNC equipped Ford can come up with some pretty interesting interpretations...

Lol, I couldn't hear Laurel until I tried this....click play and you can "dial" the sound until you hear both. Even all the way to the left, it still to me a bit to hear Laurel


We Made a Tool So You Can
Hear Both Yanny and Laurel



https://www.nytimes....rel-debate.html
When I move that thing all the way on Yanny I stil hear Laurel, but it sounds like a bullfrog hahaha

Outlaw Golf Association #11

25

#17066 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

    BMW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Joined: 09/19/2011
  • Location:Phoenix, Az
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2110

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:52 AM

View PostReasonability, on 17 May 2018 - 11:04 AM, said:

View PostSilverBullets, on 17 May 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

Its Laurel to me.  I had to have heard it 20 times yesterday as it was on every single news station and was flooding my IG feed.  I heard Laurel every time lol.

Hey Buds!  Getting a little warmer your way???  Around here rains have decided to just sit on top of us for a while.

Hey Reason!  - Yeah it is starting to heat up in the valley.  Over the past week we have had some reprieve (it hasn't hit 100* in a few days) though.  Last week was the first kind of brutal week where it seemingly hit 105* everyday.  Not super abnormal but still a bit early to be that hot.

Either way, this is my favorite time to golf out here.  Greens fee rates are dropping, the courses are still in great shape, everything is becoming firm and fast (hello 300 yard 3ws thanks to balls looking like bouncing balls in the fairway), and the mornings are only in the high 70's.

But yeah, summer is coming.  I'm concerned this year is going to be exceptionally hot, again.  We had a super dry and warm winter.  I mean the weather was absolutely perfect, but mid to high 80's in January is not normal out here.  We hit 99* one day in early March.  I think it was the all-time high.  Not a good sign.  But my wife and I really do love Phoenix.  The honeymoon phase with our new home base has not worn off.  We have settled down, been in our new house for about 18 months now, and have started growing roots here.  It was easily the best thing my wife and I have ever done (besides choosing each other of course).  

It's been a while since I have been around these parts, though I have been keeping an eye on this thread.  Life has gotten in the way over the last year really.  You may recall my career saga; Moving to a spin-off company in Columbus which was quickly acquired, moving to Phoenix with a new company which was then acquired.  I spent from June 1, '17 helping the integration and was finally let go in late Feb of this year.  They offered to relocate me to Texas but my wife and I love Phoenix so I declined the offer before they could even hand the official offer across the table (much to their dismay).  That triggered several lucrative agreements, one of which included them paying me my salary until April 30.  I quickly lined up a new job and negotiated taking my entire 60+ days off (I ended up with about 70 days off).  I started my new job last week with a company which is big enough that it can't be acquired hahaha.

Needless to say, there were a lot of moving parts, I was busy, and I wasn't able to BS on the forum as much.  Hopefully things will now settle down. I have basically been in career purgatory since the first acquisition was announced at the beginning of 2016 (and if you count the spinoff company as another transitional period, I have been faced with some sort of transition since the beginning of 2015).  I'm now ready to rock and roll, move forward, and hopefully progress my career with a stable company.  No more Oil and Gas industry for me.

In a comical twist of fate, the company which acquired our company here in Phoenix, was acquired by Marathon about a month ago.  So had I accepted the position in Texas, I would have been right back in the acquisition cycle... Ironically, it would have been almost exactly 45 days after I would have accepted the offer... When I moved to Phoenix, the acquisition was announced 45 days after I started.  Then talk about coming full circle.  That would have raised the prospects of potentially moving back to Ohio with Marathon.  My mom would have been overly excited about that prospect!

Edited by SilverBullets, 17 May 2018 - 11:56 AM.

Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 910F 19*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi BB40

26

#17067 scomac2002

scomac2002

    Inside the Starters' Hut

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
  • Joined: 06/22/2010
  • Location:The Great White North
GolfWRX Likes : 12306

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:41 PM

Reasy; T minus 15 days and counting.  It's the long weekend coming up here so we'll be busy as DW is off and has a to do list.  Hopefully I'll be spared the worst of the back breaking stuff!  I've got a couple of the planters done, but have a bunch more to go.  May wait until mid week to avoid the worst of the garden center crowds.  Grass is growing like crazy so will have to find time for that over the weekend probably much to DW's chagrin...  Just trying to keep moving the boat forward a little bit each day.  Hopefully the kids will have time to pitch in when they get here on the 26th.

Weather wise it's gorgeous -- bright and sunny, mid 70's with a gentle easterly breeze.  Perfect weather for whatever spring/summer activity you might choose to indulge in.  I even got out the shorts and tee shirt this afternoon!
Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!


Titleist 913 D2 12° RIP Phenom 50R
Cobra Baffler F 15.5°/20° Motore 60R

TM '09 Rescue 25° ReAx 65R
Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R
Vokey SM 6 52/08 F grind S-200
Vokey SM 6 58/10 S grind S-200
SeeMore PTM 3
Bridgestone e5

27

#17068 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

    Hotel California Escapee

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Joined: 09/24/2008
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 45869

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:12 PM

I heard Yanny every time I clicked on that video last night.............then today I hear it played on the radio and
I was clearly hearing Laurel.
Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

28

#17069 tolmij

tolmij

    Living in paradise

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173716
  • Joined: 04/08/2012
  • Location:Queensland Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 14522

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:59 PM

View PostSilverBullets, on 17 May 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

View PostReasonability, on 17 May 2018 - 11:04 AM, said:

View PostSilverBullets, on 17 May 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

Its Laurel to me.  I had to have heard it 20 times yesterday as it was on every single news station and was flooding my IG feed.  I heard Laurel every time lol.

Hey Buds!  Getting a little warmer your way???  Around here rains have decided to just sit on top of us for a while.

Hey Reason!  - Yeah it is starting to heat up in the valley.  Over the past week we have had some reprieve (it hasn't hit 100* in a few days) though.  Last week was the first kind of brutal week where it seemingly hit 105* everyday.  Not super abnormal but still a bit early to be that hot.

Either way, this is my favorite time to golf out here.  Greens fee rates are dropping, the courses are still in great shape, everything is becoming firm and fast (hello 300 yard 3ws thanks to balls looking like bouncing balls in the fairway), and the mornings are only in the high 70's.

But yeah, summer is coming.  I'm concerned this year is going to be exceptionally hot, again.  We had a super dry and warm winter.  I mean the weather was absolutely perfect, but mid to high 80's in January is not normal out here.  We hit 99* one day in early March.  I think it was the all-time high.  Not a good sign.  But my wife and I really do love Phoenix.  The honeymoon phase with our new home base has not worn off.  We have settled down, been in our new house for about 18 months now, and have started growing roots here.  It was easily the best thing my wife and I have ever done (besides choosing each other of course).  

It's been a while since I have been around these parts, though I have been keeping an eye on this thread.  Life has gotten in the way over the last year really.  You may recall my career saga; Moving to a spin-off company in Columbus which was quickly acquired, moving to Phoenix with a new company which was then acquired.  I spent from June 1, '17 helping the integration and was finally let go in late Feb of this year.  They offered to relocate me to Texas but my wife and I love Phoenix so I declined the offer before they could even hand the official offer across the table (much to their dismay).  That triggered several lucrative agreements, one of which included them paying me my salary until April 30.  I quickly lined up a new job and negotiated taking my entire 60+ days off (I ended up with about 70 days off).  I started my new job last week with a company which is big enough that it can't be acquired hahaha.

Needless to say, there were a lot of moving parts, I was busy, and I wasn't able to BS on the forum as much.  Hopefully things will now settle down. I have basically been in career purgatory since the first acquisition was announced at the beginning of 2016 (and if you count the spinoff company as another transitional period, I have been faced with some sort of transition since the beginning of 2015).  I'm now ready to rock and roll, move forward, and hopefully progress my career with a stable company.  No more Oil and Gas industry for me.

In a comical twist of fate, the company which acquired our company here in Phoenix, was acquired by Marathon about a month ago.  So had I accepted the position in Texas, I would have been right back in the acquisition cycle... Ironically, it would have been almost exactly 45 days after I would have accepted the offer... When I moved to Phoenix, the acquisition was announced 45 days after I started.  Then talk about coming full circle.  That would have raised the prospects of potentially moving back to Ohio with Marathon.  My mom would have been overly excited about that prospect!


Good to see you back in the Grille, happy for you finally settling into a new secure job. I know how it feels with the takeovers a similar thing happened to me when I worked in the British motor industry, I was happily settled in as an engineering instructor when we were amalgamated with another company and they closed down a facility that employed 3,500 employees, the difficulty in moving on to somewhere where you can be certain of continued work takes a toll on your health, especially when you were certain everything was OK.

Anyway it worked out well for me as in my new job I met the love of my life, it was starting to happen in that job so we packed up, took to the road and the adventure is still going 44years later.

Don’t stay away so long this time.
Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride


A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

29

#17070 tolmij

tolmij

    Living in paradise

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173716
  • Joined: 04/08/2012
  • Location:Queensland Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 14522

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:01 PM

View PostConrad1953, on 17 May 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

I heard Yanny every time I clicked on that video last night.............then today I hear it played on the radio and
I was clearly hearing Laurel.


Listened to it once and thought it was another very silly look at me publicity stunt. Life moves on, trees gone, golf on its way :)

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride


A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


    scotee, scomac2002

GolfWRX Sponsors