Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 10 votes

Clubhouse Grille

fellowship good spirit

18741 replies to this topic

#16351 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
GolfWRX Likes : 13492

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:09 AM

I guess I'm fortunate in that I have been able to hire skilled craftsmen.  It doesn't hurt that my wife's best friend's husband has a contracting business.  He's not cheap, but the work is first rate.  Once you have an inside connection to the trades it's often a case of a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy.  All of a sudden you can get most anything done on a reasonable timeline at a fair price.

Not everybody is good of course and I'm quite leery of the guys that will fly in and do something on the cheap.  That's usually the first hint.  If it's too good to be true, it usually is.  Case in point; next door neighbour hired a guy to do his roof for $7000 cash.  It leaked worse after the roof was done than before hand.  He couldn't get the guy back to fix it.  Wasn't hard to see what they did wrong from the ground -- didn't strip the old shingles off or change the valley steel or seal around the dormers.  It was one of the worst roofing jobs I had ever seen!  The neighbour went on price alone and didn't ask for a reference.  You get what you pay for...

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

Titleist 913 D2 12° RIP Phenom 50R
Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°

TM '09 Rescue 25°
Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R

Cleveland CBX 54/12 Rotex
TM White Smoke Big Fontana
Bridgestone e5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#16352 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

Slow day today watching the ice melt.  Needless to say the courses are all closed and will probably remain that way for a week as there's a lot of clean-up to do once the waters recede, so that turf crew can even begin to get the work done.

A couple of years ago #2 son was walking his dog at a local conservation area and ran across a fellow walking his dog.  They began to converse and discovered that they both came from the same small village.  Long story short, my son discovered that the stranger was a fellow I used to go to school with.  We ended up getting in contact with one another and eventually met for lunch about a year or so ago.

It was like old home week as we reminisced about various folks and times.  There seemed to be a mutual interest in trying to get a hold of as many members of our high school graduating class as we could to meet up at the school's 50th anniversary.  You know what they say about best laid plans...  Nothing came of it.

At any rate, we friended each other on FB in order to keep in touch, but I haven't spoken or written a word to him since the lunch over a year ago.  Not to worry though because my old school pall is really good at keeping the world at large informed about his whereabouts and activities.

So this guy is brilliant.  He studied nuclear physics, did research in the field and then got involved with computers.  One thing leads to another and he has a couple of start-up companies that he eventually takes to the public markets before getting out.  The last one had over 1000 employees, so we know that this guy is loaded as in serious money.  Needless to say, he was the most successful graduate of that graduating class.  No problem; tip of the cap.

The thing is, after a while you get kind of tired of this look-at-me approach to FB posting.  He's the King of the selfie, always some place interesting, exotic and exclusive with wife and cohorts having the time of their lives.  I get it, you're living the life of Riley.  Just don't rub my nose in it when you're down in Florida at your exclusive Ft. Lauderdale condo for the umpteenth time this winter making some wise crack about ice while posting a photo of a bottle of Don Julio following a morning round of golf!  Too much bloody money masquerading as humour...  :glare:

I think it's probably about time I reconsider the friend request.  While I may run into him again at some point in the future, don't need the running commentary of the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.  It's pretty clear we don't have much in common anymore...

TM '09 Rescue 25°
Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R

Bridgestone e5

#16353 Reasonability

Reasonability

Mirror work is a good idea.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,661 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312661
GolfWRX Likes : 30419

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:05 PM

Let the flushing begin.   I hope.

Brought her up nice and easy.  1/3 open at the meter with valves and hose spigots wide open to purge air.  Systematically shut valves back off then shut the house main cut-off for full hydro test.  On at the meter and off at the house main now for half-day with no spinning wheel turns and all connections buttoned up nice and dry.  Flushing the hot water tank in a bit given we're already in the midst of a mess.

Need to wrap up now - silicone and mortar around the foundation wall sleeve, cap off the old line, yadda.

Anyone care to come un-dig a ditch for me?  The hard part is over so...

Downside of doing stuff like this is you discover other stuff.  Haven't been paying attention to the stem leaks in some water faucets, or how hard it is to fully shut-off one of the outside hose spigots.  Got quite a laundry list of doo-dads I'd lost sight of needing work.

Not to gross you poor souls out, but there/s a surprising amount of little lime and scale and junk that accumulates inside your plumbing.  It's no small wonder the bottle water industry is making a killing.  Filtering tap water....before the faucets, in a stand alone pitcher, through a cartage on the fridge...  not a bad idea I must say.  .

On that happy note, I do believe there's a nice warm shower with my name on it.
A cynic sees the cost of everything
and the value of nothing.

#16354 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173716
GolfWRX Likes : 15602

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:34 PM

View Postscomac2002, on 16 April 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

Slow day today watching the ice melt.  Needless to say the courses are all closed and will probably remain that way for a week as there's a lot of clean-up to do once the waters recede, so that turf crew can even begin to get the work done.

A couple of years ago #2 son was walking his dog at a local conservation area and ran across a fellow walking his dog.  They began to converse and discovered that they both came from the same small village.  Long story short, my son discovered that the stranger was a fellow I used to go to school with.  We ended up getting in contact with one another and eventually met for lunch about a year or so ago.

It was like old home week as we reminisced about various folks and times.  There seemed to be a mutual interest in trying to get a hold of as many members of our high school graduating class as we could to meet up at the school's 50th anniversary.  You know what they say about best laid plans...  Nothing came of it.

At any rate, we friended each other on FB in order to keep in touch, but I haven't spoken or written a word to him since the lunch over a year ago.  Not to worry though because my old school pall is really good at keeping the world at large informed about his whereabouts and activities.

So this guy is brilliant.  He studied nuclear physics, did research in the field and then got involved with computers.  One thing leads to another and he has a couple of start-up companies that he eventually takes to the public markets before getting out.  The last one had over 1000 employees, so we know that this guy is loaded as in serious money.  Needless to say, he was the most successful graduate of that graduating class.  No problem; tip of the cap.

The thing is, after a while you get kind of tired of this look-at-me approach to FB posting.  He's the King of the selfie, always some place interesting, exotic and exclusive with wife and cohorts having the time of their lives.  I get it, you're living the life of Riley.  Just don't rub my nose in it when you're down in Florida at your exclusive Ft. Lauderdale condo for the umpteenth time this winter making some wise crack about ice while posting a photo of a bottle of Don Julio following a morning round of golf!  Too much bloody money masquerading as humour...  :glare:

I think it's probably about time I reconsider the friend request.  While I may run into him again at some point in the future, don't need the running commentary of the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.  It's pretty clear we don't have much in common anymore...

We are into modern technology, love it and the access it gives, BUT, Facebook freaks me out, never been on, looked at it or had any inclination to be part of it. DW was a member for about 3months years ago, soon fed up with it. I cannot see how it is safe giving all the information so many people like to dispense, I laugh at the criminals who are caugh boasting about their exploits, cheating husbands and wives posting about their new love, and all the other numb nuts who think face book is the be all and end all of life.

If this gives the impression I don’t like Facebook, correct, and I think recent events have shown just how dangerous it is.
Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

#16355 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:40 PM

View PostReasonability, on 16 April 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

Let the flushing begin.   I hope.

Brought her up nice and easy.  1/3 open at the meter with valves and hose spigots wide open to purge air.  Systematically shut valves back off then shut the house main cut-off for full hydro test.  On at the meter and off at the house main now for half-day with no spinning wheel turns and all connections buttoned up nice and dry.  Flushing the hot water tank in a bit given we're already in the midst of a mess.

Need to wrap up now - silicone and mortar around the foundation wall sleeve, cap off the old line, yadda.

Anyone care to come un-dig a ditch for me?  The hard part is over so...

Downside of doing stuff like this is you discover other stuff.  Haven't been paying attention to the stem leaks in some water faucets, or how hard it is to fully shut-off one of the outside hose spigots.  Got quite a laundry list of doo-dads I'd lost sight of needing work.

Not to gross you poor souls out, but there/s a surprising amount of little lime and scale and junk that accumulates inside your plumbing.  It's no small wonder the bottle water industry is making a killing.  Filtering tap water....before the faucets, in a stand alone pitcher, through a cartage on the fridge...  not a bad idea I must say.  .

On that happy note, I do believe there's a nice warm shower with my name on it.

On a similar but unrelated note, we have a fridge with a built in water dispenser. Required a new filter this week so fff we go to purchase one. Now stupid me breaks my own rule, check on line first for a price, the only reason we went to this store was to purchase a new kettle, so whilst we are there we purchase the new filter, th3 price almost floored me $80. When we returned home I looked on EBay, 3 for $50. Will not make that mistake again.

Enjoy your shower Reasy, sounds as if you earned it.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

#16356 Fellaheen51

Fellaheen51

Go Green

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284154
GolfWRX Likes : 13869

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:21 PM

Congratulations Reason on completion of your major project.  Job well done.  And I have enjoyed following along with the mission.  Backfilling the trench is a lot easier than digging it.  

Leaking outside sillcocks shouldn't present to much difficulty to stop the leaking.  May be nothing more than tightening the packing nut.  If not, one can replace the entire stem cartridge assembly rather easily.  Biggest difficulty may be breaking loose the stem nut, they can become quite corroded.  Couple of years back, had a leaking sillcock and rather than repair it, decided to replace the entire unit.  Wanted to add anti-siphon capability as it supplied water to the drip irrigation in the garden.  Because the old one was soldered, just cut off the pipe and soldered on a threaded brass coupling.  (The job becomes easier when you have basement access.)  Then just screwed in the new 3/4" x  8" faucet with some pipe dope added.  One hour job that was accomplished without a hitch.  

We have no choice but to have a rather extensive in-house water treatment system.  Everyone has wells out in our area (no public water system).  The water is very high in iron content and over 200 PPM in hardness with dissolved minerals (calcium, magnesium).  Have a iron removal system, then water softening, and finally a post carbon filter tank.  In addition, we run a Reverse Osmosis system to remove further purify the drinking water at the kitchen sink and for ice cube making in a couple of refrigerators.  Our area is subject to naturally occurring arsenic in the ground water.  One location may have only trace amounts, while another in proximity may have levels that would be of concern and/or potentially unhealthy.  Have the RO to remove all trace amounts of arsenic and other dissolved inorganics.  Plus have the water tested every couple of years to monitor what is occurring in the groundwater supply.  

Does require a fair amount of reoccurring expense and maintenance.  But I know exactly what is occurring with our water supply.  Assume nothing when it comes to the water we consume.  Even from a public source.
Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

#16357 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144465
GolfWRX Likes : 16809

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:04 PM

:) I had to go back and read this a second time, the first time through I thought to myself -what's a conversation area? but I kept reading. I remember though thinking in the back of my mind, hmmmm... we don't have those around here in Newark (well we do at the Grille) then I saw that you said conservation area (don't mind me, I'm a little slow today too, and we don't even have any ice melting) I can just see it... hey Fred, how ya doin'? not bad, and you? good, thanks- hey, I just walked my dogs in, what village did you say you came from again?!   :busted_cop: Um, listen guys, if you're going to be talkin' like that, go over to the conversation area, ok?
Outlaw Golf Association #11
Linked Division

#16358 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hotel California Escapee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 47413

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:10 PM

View PostSixtySomePing, on 16 April 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

:) I had to go back and read this a second time, the first time through I thought to myself -what's a conversation area? but I kept reading. I remember though thinking in the back of my mind, hmmmm... we don't have those around here in Newark (well we do at the Grille) then I saw that you said conservation area (don't mind me, I'm a little slow today too, and we don't even have any ice melting) I can just see it... hey Fred, how ya doin'? not bad, and you? good, thanks- hey, I just walked my dogs in, what village did you say you came from again?!   :busted_cop: Um, listen guys, if you're going to be talkin' like that, go over to the conversation area, ok?

Talking someday will become like smoking and eventually it will be banned in all
public areas, especially all the one sided conversations people have with that
thing in their hands. You know.....take that crap to the conversation area please....... :rofl:
Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

#16359 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:30 PM

View Posttolmij, on 16 April 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

We are into modern technology, love it and the access it gives, BUT, Facebook freaks me out, never been on, looked at it or had any inclination to be part of it. DW was a member for about 3months years ago, soon fed up with it. I cannot see how it is safe giving all the information so many people like to dispense, I laugh at the criminals who are caugh boasting about their exploits, cheating husbands and wives posting about their new love, and all the other numb nuts who think face book is the be all and end all of life.

If this gives the impression I don’t like Facebook, correct, and I think recent events have shown just how dangerous it is.

I'm on Facebook, but I don't post, I just keep up with my kids who post sometimes. There's a few things on there that just kill me. The Grille version would be "If you love the Grille, copy, post and share"...what, i don't love the Grille if I don't?  another-  there is a square with six trillion 9's in it and one 6, and on the bottom is says "Only a genius can find the 6... I'm sure people will start looking for the 6. Well duh, are they seriously thinking to themselves, oh boy oh boy, am I a genius, am I a genius? I can finally find out... Then there's My pet does stupid things..EVERYBODY wants to see my pet do stupid things.... not to be confused with- Watch my baby do ANYTHING, you will love it as much as we do... then assorted other stuff like 'I bake way too many things, and here's some of them'
Linked Division

#16360 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285934
GolfWRX Likes : 7920

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:28 PM

I stay off face book...like a couple of you guys,I just do not understand people putting all that info out there...weird.
And then the old "people you may know".......now I always wondered what in the world would give some mentally challenged
worker the idea that I may know 100 people from Iran,Iraq,India,Burma,or 80 other countries?  Always wondered if I played that info scam,who
would get my name? Anyway,stuff like that is what ran me away from the whole FB thing.
Always put the cover back on the Driver..and the putter
Watching snow showers all day today...high in low 40's.....must be early March...maybe even late Feburary........
All that snow in Fella's state and Minnesota......wow
I spend 2 years in Duluth Minnesota one winter.....

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#16361 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285934
GolfWRX Likes : 7920

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:34 PM

Judge...one of the benefits of reaching 70....people no longer look at me oddly when I pay someone else to do something....in fact,
they look at me oddly if I do  those jobs on my own !  That was a lot of work you did...Up here,I think the water lines are two feet down...
if not more.....but the depth you dug would have been more than I could do !   Thumbs up to ya!   good job !

Edited by billh17, 16 April 2018 - 07:35 PM.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

#16362 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,661 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:13 PM

View Postbillh17, on 16 April 2018 - 07:34 PM, said:

Judge...one of the benefits of reaching 70....people no longer look at me oddly when I pay someone else to do something....in fact,
they look at me oddly if I do  those jobs on my own !  That was a lot of work you did...Up here,I think the water lines are two feet down...
if not more.....but the depth you dug would have been more than I could do !   Thumbs up to ya!   good job !

Bill - to have earned your respect is an honor!

Thanks to Fella and Tol for their amazing tips, Scotee, Scomacer, and ALL who tolerated my recent selfishness here.  You're good souls and very tolerant of me.

LOL - supposed to drop to 35 degress tonight.  It appears I may have found a way to sever the wire from the thermostat to the furnace.  And my showered arse is NOT going back under there tonight.  Couple of little electric space heater laying around will get us through the night.

I've got to believe you all have a story of THE MOST valued shower you ever took.  Maybe after a hunting trip, super cold round of golf, sporting event, whatever.  All I can say is this evenings shower was one for the books - lol.  And when it was done I didn't have to hike out into the dark with a flashlight to turn water off at the meter.  Damn - that meter box sure looks pretty with the lid on it!

#16363 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,661 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:14 PM

View PostFellaheen51, on 16 April 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

Congratulations Reason on completion of your major project.  Job well done.  And I have enjoyed following along with the mission.  Backfilling the trench is a lot easier than digging it.  

Leaking outside sillcocks shouldn't present to much difficulty to stop the leaking.  May be nothing more than tightening the packing nut.  If not, one can replace the entire stem cartridge assembly rather easily.  Biggest difficulty may be breaking loose the stem nut, they can become quite corroded.  Couple of years back, had a leaking sillcock and rather than repair it, decided to replace the entire unit.  Wanted to add anti-siphon capability as it supplied water to the drip irrigation in the garden.  Because the old one was soldered, just cut off the pipe and soldered on a threaded brass coupling.  (The job becomes easier when you have basement access.)  Then just screwed in the new 3/4" x  8" faucet with some pipe dope added.  One hour job that was accomplished without a hitch.  

We have no choice but to have a rather extensive in-house water treatment system.  Everyone has wells out in our area (no public water system).  The water is very high in iron content and over 200 PPM in hardness with dissolved minerals (calcium, magnesium).  Have a iron removal system, then water softening, and finally a post carbon filter tank.  In addition, we run a Reverse Osmosis system to remove further purify the drinking water at the kitchen sink and for ice cube making in a couple of refrigerators.  Our area is subject to naturally occurring arsenic in the ground water.  One location may have only trace amounts, while another in proximity may have levels that would be of concern and/or potentially unhealthy.  Have the RO to remove all trace amounts of arsenic and other dissolved inorganics.  Plus have the water tested every couple of years to monitor what is occurring in the groundwater supply.  

Does require a fair amount of reoccurring expense and maintenance.  But I know exactly what is occurring with our water supply.  Assume nothing when it comes to the water we consume.  Even from a public source.

Holy hats!  That's a lot of home systems to own/operate.  Read about major water contamination issues in the greater Detroit area but it never occurred to me you'd be faced with such challenges to get yourself by.  Most of us have the usual checklists like rotate tires, mow-de-lawn, yadda.  Can't imagine having a routine in life so tethered to tap water.

Hey Tol - did I read correctly a week or two ago?  Did you say you collect rain water for your water supply?  Is that drinking water, too or just for the garden and such?  I can't say I know anyone who isn't either on a well or municipal water system.

-----------

Very quick story going back to my childhood.  Our little town had a huge water tank atop a hill that held our water supply.  They trucked up the hill and all was good since water flows downhill.  Worked great until the water main started deteriorating.  As in badly deteriorating.  Holy cow - water was springing up in back yards, the roads were developing cracks and sinkholes, and they couldn't fill the tank on the hill faster than it siphoned back out.  

Millions got spent on that little problem.  LOL - when it was good it was good.  When it nose-dived it was a city-wide mess.  Whenever temps dropped below freezing, the whole town was as slick as Scomacer's Ice.

#16364 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:22 PM

View PostConrad1953, on 16 April 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

Talking someday will become like smoking and eventually it will be banned in all
thing in their hands. You know.....take that crap to the conversation area please....... :rofl:

A correct assumption, already so many what used to be everyday words are now banned. I had a friend in the UK who was named Brian G, a, y and he has now had to change his surname as it cannot be put onto online documents any more.

The world has gone mad, thanks for the Grille to bring a little normality back into our lives.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

#16365 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:25 PM

View PostReasonability, on 16 April 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

Holy hats!  That's a lot of home systems to own/operate.  Read about major water contamination issues in the greater Detroit area but it never occurred to me you'd be faced with such challenges to get yourself by.  Most of us have the usual checklists like rotate tires, mow-de-lawn, yadda.  Can't imagine having a routine in life so tethered to tap water.

Hey Tol - did I read correctly a week or two ago?  Did you say you collect rain water for your water supply?  Is that drinking water, too or just for the garden and such?  I can't say I know anyone who isn't either on a well or municipal water system.

-----------

Very quick story going back to my childhood.  Our little town had a huge water tank atop a hill that held our water supply.  They trucked up the hill and all was good since water flows downhill.  Worked great until the water main started deteriorating.  As in badly deteriorating.  Holy cow - water was springing up in back yards, the roads were developing cracks and sinkholes, and they couldn't fill the tank on the hill faster than it siphoned back out.  

Millions got spent on that little problem.  LOL - when it was good it was good.  When it nose-dived it was a city-wide mess.  Whenever temps dropped below freezing, the whole town was as slick as Scomacer's Ice.

Where we are now we have rainwater for the garden, and as we have no council sewerage our waste water is also treated for the garden. Drinking water is town water.

Two houses back we only had tank water, all rain water really good to drink. We had no filter on it and never did us any harm, some people in that situation have large pump houses and filters.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

#16366 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hotel California Escapee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 47413

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:40 PM

View Posttolmij, on 16 April 2018 - 09:22 PM, said:

A correct assumption, already so many what used to be everyday words are now banned. I had a friend in the UK who was named Brian G, a, y and he has now had to change his surname as it cannot be put onto online documents any more.

The world has gone mad, thanks for the Grille to bring a little normality back into our lives.

Actually there is a golfer on the PGA Tour named Brian Gay and people say his name
as anyone normally would. He probably won't qualify for the British Open but it would
be hilarious if he did because they announce each person's name on the starting tee.

I wonder what they would say? "From the United States, Brian.............ggggrrrr.....Hay!
Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

#16367 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:40 PM

Some of my horse customers in the back blocks were using bore water, straight from the ground to the house, perfectly crystal clear drinkable water. The horses loved it and would not drink any other water, when she took her horses to shows she had to take her own water for them.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

#16368 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,661 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:45 PM

View Posttolmij, on 16 April 2018 - 09:25 PM, said:

-----------

Where we are now we have rainwater for the garden, and as we have no council sewerage our waste water is also treated for the garden. Drinking water is town water.

Two houses back we only had tank water, all rain water really good to drink. We had no filter on it and never did us any harm, some people in that situation have large pump houses and filters.

Gotcha - thanks.

Yea rain water would no doubt pass tests many municipal water systems would fail.

Geez how did we all live this long???  lol.  Lead was in paint.  Asbestos in floor tiles, car brakes, insulation.  That same little town I grew up in had a big monstrous chemical plant in the valley.  Fish would go belly up in the river at times. Air was sometimes foggy with stinky stuff that made your eye's water.

So yea - a little rain water can't be but so bad for a person.  Granddad used to go to the well - pump that handle to fill a pail - and carry it back into the house.  They lived long.  When their time came - it surely had nothing to do with the water they drank!

#16369 Hit 'Em Straight

Hit 'Em Straight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480284
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 939

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:06 PM

View Postscomac2002, on 15 April 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

The moderators task is a thankless job!  I did it on the sister site to Bogleheads for a few years.  

What's the name of the sister site?  There's some great info on Bogleheads.

#16370 Hit 'Em Straight

Hit 'Em Straight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480284
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 939

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:16 PM

Or at least have the common courtesy of using the cone of silence.  

Posted Image

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#16371 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:24 PM

View PostHit, on 16 April 2018 - 10:06 PM, said:

The moderators task is a thankless job!  I did it on the sister site to Bogleheads for a few years.  

Never heard of bogleheads before, looked at the forum and it’s full of people acting normal. What is happening the good guys have taken over.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

#16372 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 12923

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:32 PM

View PostHit, on 16 April 2018 - 10:16 PM, said:

Or at least have the common courtesy of using the cone of silence.  

Posted Image

WHAT?!?! I SAID.....WHAT?!?
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

#16373 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:55 AM

:) yup...
Linked Division

#16374 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:36 AM

View PostHit, on 16 April 2018 - 10:06 PM, said:

The Financial Wisdom Forum.  It's a non commercial collaborative site that is dedicated to financial education and empowerment for the DIYer.  Similar aims and objective to the Bogleheads, but specifically for the Canadian resident.

TM '09 Rescue 25°
Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R

Bridgestone e5

#16375 Wriggles

Wriggles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212649
GolfWRX Likes : 5343

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:38 AM

View PostFellaheen51, on 16 April 2018 - 06:20 AM, said:

Wrigs.  "Lemonade stands at Walmart".  Ha!  Happened to notice that for the first time a few days back.  NWIH would I go to one those.  

Have something of a problem with the fees charged by these so called tax preparation companies.  Likely will prepare an accurate tax return (it's all in the software), but charge relative high fees for so doing.  And offer nothing in the way of advice or guidance, just process the paper.  Charging $125 - $150 for the prep.  Regardless of how simple the return may be.  Supplying reams of unnecessary substantiating documentation, impressively bound, that no one looks at, as justification.  

Sorta why I do a few tax returns for some folks.  Nothing complicated, no business returns or ones with complex tax issues.  Simple W-2's or 1099-R's with a few deductions.  Couple of widow women that I do returns for.  All they have is pension and S.S. income, routine deductions, medical.  Nothing remotely complicated.  I go to their homes, discuss the paper they're supplying, do the returns, and deliver everything back to them.  Charge $50 for the effort, takes about 45 minutes of my time.  They love me.  Saving them some money, they don't have to hassle with it, give them some advice if need be.  One always bakes me cookies.  

In no way meant to besmirch your accounting expertise.  There is undoubtedly a place for your knowledge and skills.  But I don't understand why people with a routine tax return need the services of of an accountant.  And because of the terminology involved with filling out even a relatively simple return, understandable why most folks find it to be a intimidating process.  So off they go to a tax preparer and pay the yearly cost.  

Wouldn't want to sit and do tax returns for 8 hours a day.  Would drive me crazy.  But I try and help out a few that I or the Mrs. have some connection with.  One of the Mrs. friends pays me for services rendered with a couple of six packs of premium brew.  All good.

One of the reasons why there will never be meaningful tax simplification in this country.  To much money being made preparing tax returns and dodging the tax code.  The very high priced tax attorneys and large CPA firms are not going to give that up without a fight.  And directed campaign contributions funneled into the right hands.

Tax day must be drawing nigh.

Most clients I had were everyday working people.  People who didn't make or have much money.  I'd say most of these people were capable of preparing their own tax returns.  Most normal people are afraid of the IRS and the government, and probably rightly so.  Having a CPA or some type of "professional" sign their returns gives a sense of comfort.  The thought is, "Mr. Wriggles, CPA did my taxes, if anything goes wrong, he'll help me."  Or, "I'll blame him and the IRS will go after him."  I'd usually charge these clients $50 for a federal, state, and local return.  Usually took about an hour or so with tax software or without.

More complicated tax returns are still a matter of mostly filling out forms.  The time consumed can be staggering.  In the course of my humble practice, I've encountered people who supplied me with a ton of paper, and I've completed returns, and received a forgotten item which changes every number on the return.  With automated software, it will update automatically, but the time to print again, and correlate the material takes time, a lot of time.  Some ten years ago or so, my club's membership demanded some sort of official "audit" of the club.  I've done all of the tax and bookkeeping work since 1998, but everyone wanted an independent opinion.  An official audit would have cost thousands.  The Board contacted a Pittsburgh firm, and they sent a CPA down to do "Something" which amounted to looking over the club books, financial statements and tax returns that I prepared.  I was present when the  CPA examined all.  It was formally called a review, and the guy was at the club for four hours, drinking coffee, eating hamburgers, and smoking cigarettes.  A nice four hour gig.

The club got a signed letter from the firm, stating that an official examination was not performed, but everything looked in order.  A few comments and suggestions were included, AND a bill for $750.  The membership got something official, is what they wanted.

It all boils down to one thing, A $750 accountant must be better than the $50 kind.

Fella, a word of caution.  According to tax law, anyone being paid to prepare a tax return is required to sign that return.  In addition, the preparer is required to be registered with the IRS.  A CPA or attorney needs to be registered also, and his continuing education for state licensure satisfies IRS requirements.  Under recent regulations, my understanding that someone other than a CPA or attorney who registers as a tax preparer must take a qualifying test, and is subject to continuing education requirements.  Which is why I don't do any paid returns anymore, being on inactive status with the state board of accountancy

In the case of free preparation, the preparer does not sign.

I like the simplified two question tax return:
1.  How much money did you make in 2017?
2.  Send it in.

#16376 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:41 AM

You're kidding?!  I thought that I had heard pretty much everything in these days of political correctness...  :swoon:

Went to school with a William Gay.  Far as I know he is still allowed to use his birth surname.  Don't we have rights too?

TM '09 Rescue 25°
Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R

Bridgestone e5

#16377 Fellaheen51

Fellaheen51

Go Green

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:57 AM

-----------

The major expense was in the initial acquisition of the original equipment.  Thereafter, it's the periodic acquisition of salt, changing filters and membranes, etc.  Perhaps made it out to be a bigger deal than it really is.  Point was that I have to be engaged with maintaining the system, and understanding what needs to be done to have quality water coming out of the tap.  At least I don't have to pay a periodic water and sewer bill.  

Looks like a new pump will need to be installed in the well this summer.  Been noticing a reduction in pressure and volume for the last year.  Have 20 years on the current one, so its probably time.  Going to run about $2k out of Fella's pocket.  It is what it is.  

The Detroit Water and Sewer Department (now renamed Great Lakes Water Authority) supplies water and treats wastewater for 126 communities in seven counties in southeast Michigan.  Its one of the largest in the country and does a good job in providing those services.  The water intake sources being Lake Huron and the Detroit River, the raw water is high quality.  

What you were likely referring to is Flint, Mi.  They obtained their drinking water from DWSD for over 50 years.  Until bureaucrats and governmental lackeys made the decision to turn off the Detroit spigot.  And fire up a aged, dormant water treat plant and start providing drinking water to the citizens again.  To save a measly $3 M per year!   A cluster**** of mammoth proportions.  A case study of how politicians and their minions can totally muck up through totally incompetent decisions making processes in areas where they had zero expertise.  I could go on about this story for a couple of pages.  But won't.  I knew several individuals at Flint from by working years, they have been setup as the fall guys.  While those involved with the decisions remained untouched.  A very tragic story that has yet to reach a conclusion.  And has cost the taxpayers of this state many multiples of public dollars over the initial $3M that was to be saved annually.

The governor once famously proclaimed that he'd come to Flint and drink the water to prove that it was safe to consume.  When the invite came, he had "other obligations" on his schedule that precluded his so doing.  

There is the natural tendency to not consider what is required when we go to the sink for a glass of water.  Flush the toilet after a session.  The massive amount of infrastructure required to support these two simple, daily routine events.  And the dedicated individuals that are engaged with making these two simple events happen.  And the costs inherent with updating and maintaining the system infrastructure.  

Many cities and suburbs in this country, especially older cities in the east and midwest, have aging infrastructure.  Most major cities have areas of water and wastewater pipes that have been in the ground for over 70 years.  They wear out and need replacement.  Valves, pumps, lift stations, plant updates, all need to be addressed.  The EPA estimates that $271 billion will be needed over the next 25 years on the wastewater side alone to meet current and future system demands.  

While our elected and unelected officials have allocated no where close to adequate funding.  Want to roll back the provisions and regulations inherent with the Clean Water Act.  Drastically reduce the engagement and defund the EPA.  Sheer madness!!!!!

Edited by Fellaheen51, 17 April 2018 - 05:57 AM.

#16378 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:59 AM

WE collect rain water for consumption in a large cistern.  We run it through a couple of cartridge type filters to get any impurities out.  There is a well on the property, but it is contaminated with sulphur so is not potable.  We don't use it at all.  When the cistern runs low, we buy in a truckload of city water.  I usually have to purchase about 4 a year.  It's cheap compared to fussing with a bad well.

When I was a kid we used to pump water by hand from a dug well that was about 20' deep for drinking water.  The bathing and wash water came from a small brick lined cistern under the back porch that collected rain water off the house roof.  There was a well in the barn for the cattle, but it was sulphury too.  Looked fine coming out of the tap, but would soon turn grey when exposed to the air.  The cattle didn't seem to mind, but it would leave a film on everything it came in contact with.

TM '09 Rescue 25°
Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R

Bridgestone e5

#16379 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:13 AM

View PostFellaheen51, on 17 April 2018 - 05:57 AM, said:

There is the natural tendency to not consider what is required when we go to the sink for a glass of water.  Flush the toilet after a session.  The massive amount of infrastructure required to support these two simple, daily routine events.  And the dedicated individuals that are engaged with making these two simple events happen.  And the costs inherent with updating and maintaining the system infrastructure.  

Many cities and suburbs in this country, especially older cities in the east and midwest, have aging infrastructure.  Most major cities have areas of water and wastewater pipes that have been in the ground for over 70 years.  They wear out and need replacement.  Valves, pumps, lift stations, plant updates, all need to be addressed.  The EPA estimates that $271 billion will be needed over the next 25 years on the wastewater side alone to meet current and future system demands.  

While our elected and unelected officials have allocated no where close to adequate funding.  Want to roll back the provisions and regulations inherent with the Clean Water Act.  Drastically reduce the engagement and defund the EPA.  Sheer madness!!!!!

Agreed.  I know that the majority of the sewar and water infrastructure in our city is now in excess of 80 years old.  Every winter there's a new mess somewhere as pipes burst due to frost action on deteriorated piping.  Currently there is an on-going debate about investing$1.3B in a light rail transit system in the downtown core -- one line that travels east-west.  It's being parlayed as an investment in the future for urban renewal.  Meanwhile the rest of the underground infrastructure crumbles.

Sooner or later people are going to have to realize that there's no free lunch.  If you want the necessities of life provided conveniently at your doorstep, you're going to have to pay for it!  Doesn't matter if we're talking water, sewar, electric power, food, education or healthcare, the money for this has to come from somewhere.  The current ideology of cutting taxes to fund growth isn't really working as a never ending stream of new ways to throw tax dollars away are envisioned.  all the politicians succeed in doing is kicking the proverbial can down the road -- it's someone else's problem!

TM '09 Rescue 25°
Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R

Bridgestone e5

#16380 Fellaheen51

Fellaheen51

Go Green

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:19 AM

View PostWriggles, on 17 April 2018 - 05:38 AM, said:

View PostFellaheen51, on 16 April 2018 - 06:20 AM, said:

Wrigs.  "Lemonade stands at Walmart".  Ha!  Happened to notice that for the first time a few days back.  NWIH would I go to one those.  

Have something of a problem with the fees charged by these so called tax preparation companies.  Likely will prepare an accurate tax return (it's all in the software), but charge relative high fees for so doing.  And offer nothing in the way of advice or guidance, just process the paper.  Charging $125 - $150 for the prep.  Regardless of how simple the return may be.  Supplying reams of unnecessary substantiating documentation, impressively bound, that no one looks at, as justification.  

Sorta why I do a few tax returns for some folks.  Nothing complicated, no business returns or ones with complex tax issues.  Simple W-2's or 1099-R's with a few deductions.  Couple of widow women that I do returns for.  All they have is pension and S.S. income, routine deductions, medical.  Nothing remotely complicated.  I go to their homes, discuss the paper they're supplying, do the returns, and deliver everything back to them.  Charge $50 for the effort, takes about 45 minutes of my time.  They love me.  Saving them some money, they don't have to hassle with it, give them some advice if need be.  One always bakes me cookies.  

In no way meant to besmirch your accounting expertise.  There is undoubtedly a place for your knowledge and skills.  But I don't understand why people with a routine tax return need the services of of an accountant.  And because of the terminology involved with filling out even a relatively simple return, understandable why most folks find it to be a intimidating process.  So off they go to a tax preparer and pay the yearly cost.  

Wouldn't want to sit and do tax returns for 8 hours a day.  Would drive me crazy.  But I try and help out a few that I or the Mrs. have some connection with.  One of the Mrs. friends pays me for services rendered with a couple of six packs of premium brew.  All good.

One of the reasons why there will never be meaningful tax simplification in this country.  To much money being made preparing tax returns and dodging the tax code.  The very high priced tax attorneys and large CPA firms are not going to give that up without a fight.  And directed campaign contributions funneled into the right hands.

Tax day must be drawing nigh.

Most clients I had were everyday working people.  People who didn't make or have much money.  I'd say most of these people were capable of preparing their own tax returns.  Most normal people are afraid of the IRS and the government, and probably rightly so.  Having a CPA or some type of "professional" sign their returns gives a sense of comfort.  The thought is, "Mr. Wriggles, CPA did my taxes, if anything goes wrong, he'll help me."  Or, "I'll blame him and the IRS will go after him."  I'd usually charge these clients $50 for a federal, state, and local return.  Usually took about an hour or so with tax software or without.

More complicated tax returns are still a matter of mostly filling out forms.  The time consumed can be staggering.  In the course of my humble practice, I've encountered people who supplied me with a ton of paper, and I've completed returns, and received a forgotten item which changes every number on the return.  With automated software, it will update automatically, but the time to print again, and correlate the material takes time, a lot of time.  Some ten years ago or so, my club's membership demanded some sort of official "audit" of the club.  I've done all of the tax and bookkeeping work since 1998, but everyone wanted an independent opinion.  An official audit would have cost thousands.  The Board contacted a Pittsburgh firm, and they sent a CPA down to do "Something" which amounted to looking over the club books, financial statements and tax returns that I prepared.  I was present when the  CPA examined all.  It was formally called a review, and the guy was at the club for four hours, drinking coffee, eating hamburgers, and smoking cigarettes.  A nice four hour gig.

The club got a signed letter from the firm, stating that an official examination was not performed, but everything looked in order.  A few comments and suggestions were included, AND a bill for $750.  The membership got something official, is what they wanted.

It all boils down to one thing, A $750 accountant must be better than the $50 kind.

Fella, a word of caution.  According to tax law, anyone being paid to prepare a tax return is required to sign that return.  In addition, the preparer is required to be registered with the IRS.  A CPA or attorney needs to be registered also, and his continuing education for state licensure satisfies IRS requirements.  Under recent regulations, my understanding that someone other than a CPA or attorney who registers as a tax preparer must take a qualifying test, and is subject to continuing education requirements.  Which is why I don't do any paid returns anymore, being on inactive status with the state board of accountancy

In the case of free preparation, the preparer does not sign.

I like the simplified two question tax return:
1.  How much money did you make in 2017?
2.  Send it in.

Thank you for the notice on the legalities of tax prep.  I provide a printed return that the individuals sign and mail.  Never eFile.  No where is my involvement noted.  A couple of returns I do for free.  Only a couple I do for a "fee".  Mostly to cover the cost of buying Turbo Tax annually.  I'm 99% sure of the accuracy  of the submitted returns.  Dependent, of course, on the accuracy of the paper that is provided to me.  They all are quite basic and routine fillings, not changing much year to year.

Regardless, if I'm understanding you correctly, I could have a liability exposure by not being a registered preparer?  

Maybe from here on out, only receive payment in beer.  Like the one does.  Hopefully the IRS won't come after me and confiscate my garage refrigerator.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Conrad1953, scomac2002, tolmij, BIG STU

GolfWRX Sponsors