Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 8 votes

Clubhouse Grille

fellowship good spirit

16498 replies to this topic

#13831 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
GolfWRX Likes : 11827

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:07 AM

The January thaw is well under way.  It's surprising the amount of barren ground now visible in less than 24 hours of above freezing temperatures.  This is supposed to persist for another day along with rain before we get hit with a flash freeze and another week of cold!  Difficult to say what it's going to look like this time tomorrow.  They've even backed off on the snowfall accumulation for Friday/Saturday.  Almost makes a person want to pull out a golf club and get a few swings in!

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

Titleist 913 D2 12° RIP Phenom 50R
Cobra Baffler F 15.5°/20° Motore 60R

TM '09 Rescue 25° ReAx 65R
Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R
Vokey SM 6 52/08 F grind S-200
Vokey SM 6 58/10 S grind S-200
SeeMore PTM 3
Bridgestone e5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#13832 Hit 'Em Straight

Hit 'Em Straight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480284
  • Handicap:13.4
GolfWRX Likes : 777

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:03 AM

View Postscomac2002, on 09 January 2018 - 07:50 AM, said:

View PostFellaheen51, on 09 January 2018 - 04:49 AM, said:

Read in the local news this morning that there will be a TopGolf complex built nearby.  I guess this type of facility will have an appeal for some.   Eat, drink, hit golf balls at targets.  A night out.  Don't know how much appeal it will have for me, someone that prefers going to a real range in better weather.  In the winter, head to a dome.  Not a sim user, none particularly close by.  Kinda expensive for the solo user.  

Found the this quote interesting; draw your own conclusions.  "The new ranges solve two problems: There's no long walk or riding around on a cart and it eliminates waiting for other players in groups ahead of you."

​So instead of riding around on a cart drinking beer playing at golf, one can be indoors drinking beer playing at golf.  Probably be wildly successful.

For anyone the least bit interested:

https://www.freep.co...lls/1012257001/

Sounds a lot like the Splitsville chain of bowling establishments whose business model is based on casual customers rather than the league bowler model of years past.  There is one of those near me, although I have never been to it since they bought the facility from the original owners.  Maybe the future of golf for the time constrained casual player.  Undoubtedly cheaper to build and maintain than a traditional course with year round use potential.

We have Lucky Strike and other similar bowling alleys near me where it's geared more as a night out that happens to include bowling.  I'm not a bowler and really enjoy those places and go a few times a year.

We have a Top Golf being built near me.  I've never been to one, but I could see the appeal.  Date night with some other couples, many of whom would not walk onto a golf course but do enjoy a spirited round of mini-golf or bowling (especially when the round is fueled by spirits!).

#13833 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 12297

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

View PostSixtySomePing, on 11 January 2018 - 05:02 AM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 10 January 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

I just happened to flip through an episode of MASH today, where everyone has to get their physical exams, and Hawkeye gets Hotlips Hoolihan. He goes into her tent and puts on his stethoscope and says "OK my golden haired vixen, how should I start?" I thought the same thing, that would never have made it into the script today. Even the name 'Hotlips' would have been scratched today. So, how does a guy even make a pass at a female today? "Er, um, I apologize, but I was wondering if your lawyer might get in touch with my lawyer so that you might consider getting a bit more intimate?".
This will eventually include married people too probably, starting at the wedding vows.... 'to have and to hold, with your permission of course as legally agreed to in our prenups. I also agree not to visit your room without your written permission in advance signed by a notary public for a period of 15 minutes or less' etc etc

I remember at high school and college parties sometimes if I was getting good signals just leaning in for a kiss. Then if that went well, the making out and groping would start. These days that would have me typing this from prison.
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

#13834 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

View PostHit, on 11 January 2018 - 09:03 AM, said:

Read in the local news this morning that there will be a TopGolf complex built nearby.  I guess this type of facility will have an appeal for some.   Eat, drink, hit golf balls at targets.  A night out.  Don't know how much appeal it will have for me, someone that prefers going to a real range in better weather.  In the winter, head to a dome.  Not a sim user, none particularly close by.  Kinda expensive for the solo user.  

Found the this quote interesting; draw your own conclusions.  "The new ranges solve two problems: There's no long walk — or riding around on a cart — and it eliminates waiting for other players in groups ahead of you."

​So instead of riding around on a cart drinking beer playing at golf, one can be indoors drinking beer playing at golf.  Probably be wildly successful.

Sounds a lot like the Splitsville chain of bowling establishments whose business model is based on casual customers rather than the league bowler model of years past.  There is one of those near me, although I have never been to it since they bought the facility from the original owners.  Maybe the future of golf for the time constrained casual player.  Undoubtedly cheaper to build and maintain than a traditional course with year round use potential.

We have Lucky Strike and other similar bowling alleys near me where it's geared more as a night out that happens to include bowling.  I'm not a bowler and really enjoy those places and go a few times a year.

We have a Top Golf being built near me.  I've never been to one, but I could see the appeal.  Date night with some other couples, many of whom would not walk onto a golf course but do enjoy a spirited round of mini-golf or bowling (especially when the round is fueled by spirits!).

I have no doubt of the appeal.  I know that our kids go out to places and do things that I would never have thought of doing in a more traditional sense.  I think the biggest stumbling block to many young folks is the commitment that was traditionally required to be a regular participant in certain activities.  That's a no go now.  Anything that comes along that offers entertainment without having to commit to anything regularly is what they want; a sort of self serve smorgasbord of entertainment choices that can be had on the individuals own schedule.  Top Golf and the like are catering to this market.

Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R
SeeMore PTM 3
Bridgestone e5

#13835 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144465
GolfWRX Likes : 15249

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

Found the this quote interesting; draw your own conclusions.  "The new ranges solve two problems: There's no long walk — or riding around on a cart — and it eliminates waiting for other players in groups ahead of you."

Lucky Strike, that was a cigarette when I was younger.. I remember the LSMFT on the bottom of the pack plus the "Remember, LSMFT" commercials. Plus all the guys joking around with their own version of what LSMFT meant, now who remembers that? :)
commercial:

Edited by SixtySomePing, 11 January 2018 - 12:06 PM.

Outlaw Golf Association #11

#13836 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173716
GolfWRX Likes : 13886

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:43 PM

The world has gone mad. Two things this morning that have annoyed me.

1 In Queensland Australia, the state government has removed gender identity from driving permits as it offends the transsexual community, I am offended as I want to be recognised as the gender I was born, now the government says I cannot.

2  Netflix have now put all episodes of friends on the server, the younger set who have never seen them are horrified at the political incorrect nature of friends. Get a life people, this is the real world not your little enclave of snowflake heaven.
Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

#13837 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:48 PM

View Postthug the bunny, on 11 January 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

View PostSixtySomePing, on 11 January 2018 - 05:02 AM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 10 January 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

I just happened to flip through an episode of MASH today, where everyone has to get their physical exams, and Hawkeye gets Hotlips Hoolihan. He goes into her tent and puts on his stethoscope and says "OK my golden haired vixen, how should I start?" I thought the same thing, that would never have made it into the script today. Even the name 'Hotlips' would have been scratched today. So, how does a guy even make a pass at a female today? "Er, um, I apologize, but I was wondering if your lawyer might get in touch with my lawyer so that you might consider getting a bit more intimate?".
This will eventually include married people too probably, starting at the wedding vows.... 'to have and to hold, with your permission of course as legally agreed to in our prenups. I also agree not to visit your room without your written permission in advance signed by a notary public for a period of 15 minutes or less' etc etc

I remember at high school and college parties sometimes if I was getting good signals just leaning in for a kiss. Then if that went well, the making out and groping would start. These days that would have me typing this from prison.

I guffawed when I read your post this morning, ttb!  It couldn't possibly have gotten that bad, has it?  Then this afternoon I'm driving home from the vet with our cat in tow and I hear on the radio of a charge just filed against a man for an incident that happened 30 years ago!  WTF?  Do we not move on with our lives or is this a case of someone applying today's standards to an earlier time?  If we keep this up children will be procreated via test tube by appointment only, no touching allowed.  For the life of me I don't know what to make of any of it anymore...  :slow_en:

Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R
SeeMore PTM 3
Bridgestone e5

#13838 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

I am positive I must have offended someone, somewhere, sometime, waiting now for the tap on the shoulder. We are now going into the time where we can only sit at home in seclusion to be safe from prosecution, then we will be vilified for being inactive.

I am happy to be the age I am, don’t think I would like to be a child today, it must be worrying for parents.

All my life from being a teenager, I have always been involved with children’s sport, organising, coaching, and taking car loads of them with me to championships, training session etc. it was never thought of in a sick way at all, parents trusted you with their children and you never let them down. I have always struck up conversations with young children, their views and honesty was always enlightening. Unfortunately now I am very careful on accaisions I do talk to them in line at stores, but keep my distance and always talk to the parent first to gauge the situation. It saddens me that friendships cannot be forged the same way we used to.

12.00 noon, think I might drink to oblivion early today.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

#13839 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hotel California Escapee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,896 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 45231

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

It is not always as bad as it seems. The news/media always blow things way out of proportion and
make the world seem more dangerous than it is. I tune out the news for the most part any more. It's
all nonstop drama 24/7 to get people to tune in. It causes me to tune out.

It's the same with the Weather Channel. All drama all the time. Every storm is an epic event. Enough
already.

Live, love and laugh often. Enjoy life. Play golf. Have fun. Do not let your hearts be troubled. There
are more people out there who think as you do than you imagine. :)
Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
    Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
    Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

#13840 Wriggles

Wriggles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212649
GolfWRX Likes : 5306

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:41 AM

Watched a show called "Life with Beulah" the other day.  The local "Decades" channel airs all kinds of lost episodes of TV.  Anyhow, Beulah is a stereotypical maid, like Hazel.  In the episode, Beulah and her boyfriend were shown teaching the young master of the house the Jitterbug.  The boy was attending dance lessons for waltz and the stuffy teacher made a big deal out of the Jitterbug at the class recital.

Couldn't make a show like that today.

Tol, it's somewhat comforting to know that the madness isn't confined to the USA.  Maybe, comforting isn't the right world, alarming is more correct.

Won't end on a sour note, though.  There are many good people in the world.  Conrad is right.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#13841 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:49 AM

View PostWriggles, on 12 January 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

Watched a show called "Life with Beulah" the other day.  The local "Decades" channel airs all kinds of lost episodes of TV.  Anyhow, Beulah is a stereotypical maid, like Hazel.  In the episode, Beulah and her boyfriend were shown teaching the young master of the house the Jitterbug.  The boy was attending dance lessons for waltz and the stuffy teacher made a big deal out of the Jitterbug at the class recital.

Tol, it's somewhat comforting to know that the madness isn't confined to the USA.  Maybe, comforting isn't the right world, alarming is more correct.

Won't end on a sour note, though.  There are many good people in the world.  Conrad is right.

Wriggles, we also have politicians :)

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

#13842 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:54 AM

Started back into the art this week, the past two weeks have been ultra busy. Prefinish on the dog today, finish over the weekend.

Never seems enough time to fit everything in. Complete rehash of the garden, prepping DW for a surgical procedure, tidy the shed, it’s a mess. Hoping this year my artist buddy Ethan shows us some more of his work.

Sitting in bed, supping a cup of earl grey tea, lights out shortly. Good night Grillers.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

#13843 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:20 AM

From what I can tell in the darkness the snow is almost completely gone.  All that remains are the remnants of the banks at the side of the road from plowing.  The temperature is still around 50°F, but a flash freeze is on it's way later today accompanied by some freezing rain and a limited amount of snow.  From that point we will be back into normal January temperatures that will be moderating towards next weekend.  So much for yesterday afternoon's foray swinging a club outside for the first time in a couple of months.  It was a bit too muddy to hit anything other than a driver off a peg, but it felt good to get a swing or two in despite the usual rust.  Maybe now I will be sufficiently motivated to get to work on a couple of winter golf projects.

Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R
SeeMore PTM 3
Bridgestone e5

#13844 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:35 AM

We have a 'storm' predicted today, of course it depends on which tv station you watch, cause that's the weather you get. At my house, I have my snowblower ready again which means we will get no snow at all. Predicting snow, and snowblower not ready is the only way we get dumped on out of nowhere.

I hope everyone stays safe, including you tol, in that hot summer weather...

#13845 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:38 AM

View PostWriggles, on 12 January 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

There was a Jitterbug song/dance cut out of the Wizard of Oz, I always thought they should have left it in...

#13846 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 24805

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

View PostSixtySomePing, on 11 January 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

Lucky Strike, that was a cigarette when I was younger.. I remember the LSMFT on the bottom of the pack plus the "Remember, LSMFT" commercials. Plus all the guys joking around with their own version of what LSMFT meant, now who remembers that? :)
commercial:

Lets see if I can do this without getting banned or suspended---- Lets ***** my finger is tired------- In reality it meant Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco--- We also used to refer to them as "Lucky Strokes" remember all the folks in my step Mom's family were tobacco farmers. I also know the one on the Camel packs about going around the corner to the back at the motel :taunt:

Edited by BIG STU, 12 January 2018 - 03:45 PM.

Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
3 Wood Adams Super S 15* Bassara Regular flex
5 wood Adams Super S 18* Bassara Regular flex
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex shafts (yeah real Hogan shafts when Hogan was Hogan)
SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400
LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400
Putter - Scotty Santa Fe 1997 vintage rusty as heck nicknamed "Rusty"
Bag Old School Titleist Stand bag about 10 or 12 years old

Founding Father of the Outlaw Golf Association Member #1 To heck with the USGA
Redneck Hippie Golf-- When the tailgate drops the BS stops
Vintage for now
P-40 Macgregor Super Eye O Matic 2 wood
3 wood Macgregor 945W
1 iron 1967 Spalding Top Flite
Irons 3 thru PW 1990 Hogan Grind
SW-- 1965 Wilson Staff Triple Duty 56*
Putter (for now) Acushnet 35 R Standard Bulls Eye
Bag Old School Burton PGA / Pepsi red white and blue

#13847 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

Yep I am back we had problems with the modem they say due to the weather (so they say) Busy as a one armed paper hanger at work. We have several contracts and have gotten behind due to the weather. I did get the one contract knocked out this week delivering the last 2 loads of bales to Mount Holly SC this week. Now we have the big contract with the heavy steel I have been switching all week back and forth between the dump trailer and the 53 foot van trailer. Now I am done with the van and am on the dump trailer. Gotta get 25 loads delivered between Monday and the end of the month. So I will be on here on and off again as time permits. Supposed to play tomorrow since it is in the 50s
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex shafts (yeah real Hogan shafts when Hogan was Hogan)

Vintage for now
3 wood Macgregor 945W

#13848 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:48 PM

View PostBIG STU, on 12 January 2018 - 03:41 PM, said:

Lets see if I can do this without getting banned or suspended---- Lets ***** my finger is tired------- In reality it meant Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco--- We also used to refer to them as "Lucky Strokes" remember all the folks in my step Mom's family were tobacco farmers. I also know the one on the Camel packs about going around the corner to the back at the motel :taunt:
Keeping in mind we were only about 10 and had no idea what we were talking about, it was more like 'loose straps -----  ------ ----   etc and so forth... seems like 10 year olds back then had no clue anyway about a lot of things, even though we thought we did... or did we?

#13849 Fellaheen51

Fellaheen51

Go Green

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284154
GolfWRX Likes : 13023

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

That's the slang we always used for LSMFT.  As we smoked our Lucky's, in the back forty, from the pack stashed in a tin, in a hole, with rock marker on top.  Lounging in the grass near the woods, coughing and wheezing, as we puffed on our illicit smokes.  Far away from the prying eyes of parents.  About 10 years old.  Being cool.  Or so we thought.

"Back in your old neighborhood, the cigarettes taste so good".
Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

#13850 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

Out early this morning, work in the yard before it is too hot, started 8.00am later than we wanted it was already 80*, high humidity. Started by cutting down an old shrub that was past its best, digging out the roots, moving 50 20lb concrete blocks, weeding and raked over, only have to put down wood chip mulch to finish. 9.00am too hot to continue, now into the 90s, going to be well over 100* before noon.

We have a cat run outdoors where the two Siamese cats are put during the day, they can destroy as much as they like out there, bringing them in early too hot for them. Chickens will be having frozen yoghurt with fruit shortly,  it’s diffcult to do anything other than good shade, no way are they coming indoors.

That reminds me of the first house we purchased in Cornwall, Cornish generally were a slow talking back to basics clan, when we moved in we found they had been keeping rabbits in the kitchen, our dog and us were covered in fleas in minutes, took ages to completely eradicate them.

Time for some painting. Stay safe Grillers and keep warm.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#13851 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hotel California Escapee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,896 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:17 PM

I was thinking about what I posted recently about my sister's painting find at a garage sale and
I spoke to her today knowing I was probably a little fuzzy on the details I posted here about it.
So she gave me the artists name and the correct $ amounts, lol.

The artist name was Sharp. That's the signature on his paintings. Anyway, she said what she
bought was 2 cigar box sized little paintings for $1 each. And her son sold them to that group
for $76,000 for both paintings. Geez, she made more on that deal than I remembered.

BUT............haha, gotta be a BUT in there somewhere...............the lady that sold her the
paintings also had a large painting by the same artist that she was trying to sell to my sis for
$30. Keep in mind my sis knew nothing and thought she was just buying a few little nothings.

My sis said that large painting was of an Indian looking forward and she said the painting didn't
move her or anything and she passed on it. Later, when she was telling her son about the 2
little paintings (and finding out what they were, lol), she mentioned the big one she passed on
and described it to him...............could have fetched $180,000 according to him.

LOL, it was friggin' garage sale. Whoever bought that big painting.....who knows? Maybe they
knew...most likely they didn't. Probably have it hanging in their house somewhere...oblivious to
it's value. It may or may not get preserved. Might be lost forever and never found. I guess that's
what makes some things so valuable. Pure happenstance that some things survive and wind
up in the hands of someone who preserves them.

My sis never went back to that house. As far as she knows, and perhaps it's better, the person
was none the wiser that 3 things they had there were worth over $250,000. They would be mighty
unhappy with that knowledge after the fact. Wow.

Anyway, just wanted to tell "the rest of the story" and correct a few things I had wrong.

#13852 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:28 AM

View PostConrad1953, on 12 January 2018 - 10:17 PM, said:

I was thinking about what I posted recently about my sister's painting find at a garage sale and
I spoke to her today knowing I was probably a little fuzzy on the details I posted here about it.

The artist name was Sharp. That's the signature on his paintings. Anyway, she said what she
bought was 2 cigar box sized little paintings for $1 each. And her son sold them to that group
for $76,000 for both paintings. Geez, she made more on that deal than I remembered.

BUT............haha, gotta be a BUT in there somewhere...............the lady that sold her the
paintings also had a large painting by the same artist that she was trying to sell to my sis for
$30. Keep in mind my sis knew nothing and thought she was just buying a few little nothings.

My sis said that large painting was of an Indian looking forward and she said the painting didn't
move her or anything and she passed on it. Later, when she was telling her son about the 2
little paintings (and finding out what they were, lol), she mentioned the big one she passed on
and described it to him...............could have fetched $180,000 according to him.

LOL, it was friggin' garage sale. Whoever bought that big painting.....who knows? Maybe they
knew...most likely they didn't. Probably have it hanging in their house somewhere...oblivious to
it's value. It may or may not get preserved. Might be lost forever and never found. I guess that's
what makes some things so valuable. Pure happenstance that some things survive and wind

My sis never went back to that house. As far as she knows, and perhaps it's better, the person
was none the wiser that 3 things they had there were worth over $250,000. They would be mighty

Anyway, just wanted to tell "the rest of the story" and correct a few things I had wrong.
Cool Rad Harvey now we "have the rest of the story" LOL could not resist you know how those smart a$$ truck drivers are :taunt:

Vintage for now
3 wood Macgregor 945W

#13853 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hotel California Escapee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,896 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:43 AM

View PostBIG STU, on 13 January 2018 - 12:28 AM, said:

Cool Rad Harvey now we "have the rest of the story" LOL could not resist you know how those smart a$$ truck drivers are :taunt:

Ha, you're up late bro.......................or up early????

Time for me to go to bed. I'm sitting here in north Georgia letting the storms pass ahead of me
further north......on my way to Wonderful Wisconsin.............you betcha!

#13854 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:44 AM

View PostFellaheen51, on 12 January 2018 - 06:18 PM, said:

That's the slang we always used for LSMFT.  As we smoked our Lucky's, in the back forty, from the pack stashed in a tin, in a hole, with rock marker on top.  Lounging in the grass near the woods, coughing and wheezing, as we puffed on our illicit smokes.  Far away from the prying eyes of parents.  About 10 years old.  Being cool.  Or so we thought.

"Back in your old neighborhood, the cigarettes taste so good".
I never did smoke cigarettes believe it or not even with both parents being a 2 pack a day or more smokers. I always chewed because my Grand Dad got me started on that. Now when I was 13 or so I started on the left handed Lucky Strikes because around that golf course that stuff was plentiful. There was at least 3 of the gamblers I know of that sold that stuff and quite a few of them smoked it too. My old man would not admit it but he would fire up a lefty in a heartbeat. I can remember in high school when everyone else "discovered" it I was like blaah WTH? I had been doing that for 3 years then. Never let on at school that I did it that way I did not have to share or chance getting caught. Heck I had over 200 acres of woods and golf course to smoke on

Vintage for now
3 wood Macgregor 945W

#13855 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:48 AM

View PostConrad1953, on 13 January 2018 - 12:43 AM, said:

Time for me to go to bed. I'm sitting here in north Georgia letting the storms pass ahead of me
Kinda both I went to bed early because I was tired and it was rainy. It was one of those rainy days and the rain beating on the side of our trailer makes me mellow and sleepy. It was kinda damp so I built a small fire in the wood stove and went to sleep on the couch wrapped in a certain afghan that is red and black. Got off at noon yesterday after 1 early run-- Going back to bed in the big bed in a few

Vintage for now
3 wood Macgregor 945W

#13856 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hotel California Escapee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,896 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:59 AM

Sweet dreams y'all. Time for a long winter's nap...........have miles to go before I sleep..again. Yes
and I remember red and black being your favorite color combo Stu.....and Mrs. Stu....purple...the color
of royalty!

#13857 Fellaheen51

Fellaheen51

Go Green

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:18 AM

Conrad, thanks for sharing the rest of the painting story.  Fascinating.  Makes one wonder, what we may have been examining at various sales that may have had some real value.  And one never knew.

Stopped by a local estate sale on Thursday.  Saw golf clubs pictures in the listing (they were junk).  Did pickup some head covers, including a couple of very old leather ones on the cheap.  Always in need of extra HC's to protect the persimmons in storage.  The bags have a way of periodically tipping over for no apparent reason.  Sometimes, it sets off a "domino effect" of crashing bags.  

The Mrs. and I enjoy going to antique shows periodically.  They have a big one twice a year locally.  Don't know how many vendors, but numbering in the several hundred.  We're not antiquers per se, I'm always scouting around for golf stuff, she has a few things she collects.  But we enjoy walking around for a few hours looking at all the old stuff.  Quite fascinating.  We rarely buy anything, antique dealers are in the business of making money on their merch so the prices are always at a premium.  Sometimes, if you find an item of interest, can do a little haggling.  Never going to have a dealer not know the value of the items they're peddling.  And typically WAY over value the price of old golf clubs.  Usually wood shaft ones, they think they're antiques.  A $5.00 rusted up common hickory and they'll be asking $50.00 for it.  

Something to do, poke around for stuff.  Never know what you may find unless you do some looking.

#13858 Wriggles

Wriggles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212649
GolfWRX Likes : 5306

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:49 AM

Woke up to find at least 6 inches of snow on the ground.  I dread going out and shoveling, but it'll get me out a bit.  Winters have always been tough on me.  Other than golf, or old worthless cars, I have no hobbies.

My 84 year old buddy goes to the Mall, where a bunch of old guys sit around drinking coffee.  There's also a senior citizens' center at the same mall.  I walked past there one day, looked in at the fossils.  The receptionist at the chiropractor told me her 65 year old Dad goes to the local hot dog shop and drinks coffee all morning with another bunch of old guys.  I never want to do any of that.  Funny, I never minded sitting around with the old guys after golf, though.

Fella, years ago, the wife and I used to browse antique shops and garage sales.  Stuff that sold for pennies were big bucks in stores.  I always thought at some point, we would open an antique store.  I did accounting work for a shop for years, but they sold new and used guns also.  The money was in guns, not antiques.  The elderly owner was a local authority on antiques.  He made several buying trips to Europe every year.  Although he and his wife lived like paupers, the family business supported his sons and grandsons.  The owner was a real character;  I used to spend a lot of time chatting when I picked up work.

Anyhow, I still have some stuff we bought at yard sales.  One item the wife noticed, was a Longines wristwatch from the 1950's in a box of junk watches.  Upon winding it, it ran.  Missing a crystal and sporting a grubby band, I offered the lady a dollar for it, which she agreed.  I could barely contain myself.  I took the watch to a jeweler to get a crystal.  Cost me $18, and a $10 band, for a grand total outlay of $30 with tax.

That was at least 15 years ago.  I wear the watch once in a while, never got it serviced, still runs perfectly.  Whoever had owned it, must have had it serviced before the crystal broke.

I was offered $250 for it by a dealer that saw it while we were browsing.  I figure it must be worth twice that.

#13859 Fellaheen51

Fellaheen51

Go Green

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:54 AM

After the estate sale above, wanted to go to the golf dome nearby and hit a few balls.  Only had three 7 irons in tow, still needing to do some eval on the Maltby.  Walked inside and notice this small repair shop had opened at the far end of the dome.  Lets' check it out before I start, they didn't look to busy.  Wow!!  An inventory of classic clubs.  Several sets of MacGregor irons.  Two sets of V-Foils 1025's, a pristine set of M/T Pro CM's, Colokrom reissues.  Set of Hogan Apex's.  Probably 20+ Spalding TPM putters that the proprietor restores.  Tells me he's a big fan of TPM's, very underrated.   Even let's me try his own personal refurbished one on the nearby putting "green".  Fully refurbed, milled face, torched, it was top notch job.  Wedges that he reconditions to like new.  More contemporary stuff that he had in the racks, but a lot classic clubs as well.  

The proprietor, along with his British accented compadre (perfect) are into older golf clubs.  Needless to say, I start chatting them up.  Show them some pics of the stuff I have in inventory.  Talking with them not to brag, but to let them know that I have some awareness of such things.  Tells me he has a couple hundred persimmons at home that he doesn't bother bringing to the shop because no one wants them.  Says he been trying to organize a vintage gathering with some folks he knows that still like to play wood and blade.  Gave him my phone number.  Spent a good 45 minutes there, chatting them up, looking at his stuff.  Came very close to buying the V-Foils, they were only $150.00.  He says to make him a "reasonable" offer.  Tell him I don't need anymore impractical irons.  Interested in some horse trading?  What about a nice set of Redlines and some dickering for the V-Foils?  Stop back with them and we'll talk.  

Absolutely my kind of golf shop.  Quite amazing really, totally not expecting it at the golf dome.  Of all places.  Going back, need to get better acquainted with these gentlemen.  Felt obligated to buy something from them, taking up as much time as I did.  Although they didn't seem to mind a bit.  So I bought a Rife Aruba putter that caught my eye for $25.00.  He gave me a classic club user discount.  Ha.  

Never did get around to hitting any golf balls.

#13860 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:04 AM

View PostConrad1953, on 13 January 2018 - 12:43 AM, said:

You sure have lucked into a winter to remember for your last year on the road -- cold and snow, sleet, all manner of heavenly discharge!  You'll be able to write a memoir of your final few runs.  Perhaps you and STU can get together and come up with the golfer/trucker's compilation?  ;)

Ping i25 6-PW TFC 189 R
SeeMore PTM 3
Bridgestone e5

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors