Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 7 votes

Clubhouse Grille

fellowship good spirit

12471 replies to this topic

#12241 Reasonability

Reasonability

Mirror work is a good idea.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312661
GolfWRX Likes : 24902

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

Roku - My son has it.  Saves money using it.  His only slight issues with are 1) the bandwidth thing "can" be a prob.  If he's online, his wife is online, yadda yadda, the screen "can" at times freeze up.  2) He's a little prone to buy this programming or that at a premium so his bill isn't always as much as a cost-saver as intended when he signed up.

///////////

Pharma ads.  I honestly don't understand why they bother.  We can't prescribe meds for ourselves.  And thanks to the disclaimers they're required by US law to include - they end up scaring the heck out of us anyway.  Funny how all the possible back-fires that can happen with other products and services are not required to be listed like they are with pharmaceuticals.

////////////

Odd city names.  I wouldn't recommend hanging out in southeaster PA if city names tend to give you pause - lol.

///////////

Sports, general entertainment (movies and such) have proven over history to be somewhat immune to swings in the economic cycle.  During the great depression era - the movie industry seemed to pull through reasonably well compared to other sub-economies.  I suppose other such industries that tend to survive would be booze or other "sinful" goods and services.  LMAO since there's always the oldest profession in the world thing going on we could all become hookers in the non-golf sense if things turn ugly.

///////

Standby - Old Reason is about to drop a post that PROMISES to lay there like a dead fish on the beach.  (It's what I do often times, right?)  Just need to whittle on it but it promises to be a turd in the punchbowl!

A cynic sees the cost of everything
and the value of nothing.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#12242 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 40752

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:00 PM

View PostSixtySomePing, on 14 November 2017 - 05:01 AM, said:

View PostConrad1953, on 13 November 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 13 November 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

These pharmaceutical ads are getting out of hand. They are more than just annoying. They occupy 50% of the bandwidth of most TV these days. I'm not far from getting to the point where I am just going to start reading books again for nightly entertainment. I think I still have my library card...

Thug, we dumped our cable TV and bought the latest fancy Roku unit and now watch internet TV.
All we pay now is the $70 a month for high speed wireless internet...I think it's 60 mbs....oh and we
signed up for Netflix on 2 TVs for $10.95 a month total. No more endless pharma commercials and
we're saving $100 a month that we were spending on cable TV; 98% of it we didn't watch anyway.
I've been thinking of doing this, so since you dumped your cable, who do you get this 60 mbs internet through?

The same cable company. We dropped the cable TV but kept the Roadrunner high speed wireless internet.
They actually upped our internet speed. Our bill with them dropped from $170 to $70 per month. The
internet does come to us through a cable but once in the house we have a big wireless modem so we can
connect to the internet from anywhere in the house and with multiple devices.
Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
    Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
    Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

#12243 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

American Bald Eagle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144465
GolfWRX Likes : 12503

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:02 PM

View Postbillh17, on 13 November 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

Man.....if its a book about the naming of the county...it could be a best seller ! The State Museum guy has been trying to get into the secret vault of Licking County
for the last 100 years. ! Hmmmmm....For some reason ..that doesn't quite sound right...........

Apparently Licking County got its name from the Licking River that runs through it. The Licking river (the suffix 'ing' being used a lot back then) was added to the then indian name for gravelly or 'Lekau' which became pronounced Lick and with the suffix added 'ing' became Licking.... Heck, with that in mind, SixtySomePing is probably originally 'Seks Tau Soump' + 'ing' meaning 'sexy sump pump' 'ing'...
Ping G 10* SFTec or G30 12* Alta Blue 55 Stiff Shaft Golf Pride MCC +4 Grip and/or
Tour 65 Stiff Shaft  Golf Pride MCC +4 Grip
Ping TiSi Tec 3 & 5 Wood S
Ping K15 7 Wood
Ping G15 4-PW Irons Golf Pride MCC +4 Grips
Vokey 48-6* 54-14*  58-10*  Wedges
Ping Anser 5 Milled Putter SuperStroke Fatso 5.0 CCT Grip
Snell My Tour Ball

Outlaw Golf Association #11
Senior Division-ha

#12244 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285934
GolfWRX Likes : 6068

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

View PostSixtySomePing, on 14 November 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

View Postbillh17, on 13 November 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

Man.....if its a book about the naming of the county...it could be a best seller ! The State Museum guy has been trying to get into the secret vault of Licking County
for the last 100 years. ! Hmmmmm....For some reason ..that doesn't quite sound right...........

Apparently Licking County got its name from the Licking River that runs through it. The Licking river (the suffix 'ing' being used a lot back then) was added to the then indian name for gravelly or 'Lekau' which became pronounced Lick and with the suffix added 'ing' became Licking.... Heck, with that in mind, SixtySomePing is probably originally 'Seks Tau Soump' + 'ing' meaning 'sexy sump pump' 'ing'...
ROFL !!
Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

#12245 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

OK - Here goes nothin'n.  Hold your nose, cover your eyes, hide your women and children.

The Fundamentals of Golf

1) Smart, purposeful practice yields results.  Poor practice habits actually worsen your game meaning no practice at all would be a better option.  He who hates practice is possibly he who has yet to discover how to practice well.

2) Smart practice applies to all aspects of the game from the shortest to longest clubs in the bag.

3) Ball flights, divot shapes, and impact tape (or similar way of seeing contact on the face) will tell you what you need to do during smart practice - since those things represent YOU and YOUR GAME more so than anything on a video, or even trackman.

4) Because there's a billion ways to get it done - and it's performed by an endless array of body types, ranges of strength and flexibility, age, mental and emotional states, etc... equipment "should" be explored.  This is most likely not just as an off-the-rack exploration.  Equipment can and will fit the golfer and his/her most comfortable and reliable swing habits (for better or worse).  This includes all sticks in the bag.

5) The physical/mental/emotional components are all about expectations management.  PERIOD.

6) To execute any stroke in golf requires commitment.  We MUST 100% buy-in to what we do, how we do it, why we do it, when and with whom we do it.  That same mindset "can" make us devilish, myopic, egotistical, selfish,  and intolerable fools who lack interpersonal skills.

7) In life as in golf - NEVER underestimate people around you.  PERIOD. This post puts that fundamental at risk.

8) Any human who has all the answers about all-things-golf is not be taken too seriously.  Any human who builds such walls around all inputs and ideas is not to be taken too seriously. You can admire their tenacity and commitment but they shouldn't be followed to the ends of the earth.

9) NEVER and ALWAYS are words that have almost no place in any golf discussion - which flies right in the face of fundamental #6.

10) There is most likely no such thing as a true "feel" player or pure "mechanic".  Both are understandable rationalizations to self-categorize but both secretly seek the feel of good mechanics and the mechanics of good feel.

11) Regardless of physical limitations, age, sex, weight, past injury, or other challenges - there IS a swing/stroke and there is equipment that will provide us all better results - unless we simply don't really care.  AND... he/she who doesn't really care might just be on his/her own journey and may derive "results" from golf in a very individual and personal ways,  See fundamentals #7 and #8.

12)  Golf is a goofy game.  PERIOD.

Turd is now in the punchbowl.  Of all crazy "true" stories, swing vids analyzed, yoking it up about everything from pie flavors to music to the weather... one fish now lays rotting on the beach!!!!

NOW THERE'S A RANT GENTS!  TROT CRAP RIGHT OUT IN THE SUNSHINE AND LET IT STINK!  The more it gets ignored and unnoticed the more you KNOW it's a floater in that great bowl of life.   LMAO  :read:

#12246 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173716
GolfWRX Likes : 10084

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:52 PM

View PostReasonability, on 14 November 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

OK - Here goes nothin'n.  Hold your nose, cover your eyes, hide your women and children.

The Fundamentals of Golf

1) Smart, purposeful practice yields results.  Poor practice habits actually worsen your game meaning no practice at all would be a better option.  He who hates practice is possibly he who has yet to discover how to practice well.

2) Smart practice applies to all aspects of the game from the shortest to longest clubs in the bag.

3) Ball flights, divot shapes, and impact tape (or similar way of seeing contact on the face) will tell you what you need to do during smart practice - since those things represent YOU and YOUR GAME more so than anything on a video, or even trackman.

4) Because there's a billion ways to get it done - and it's performed by an endless array of body types, ranges of strength and flexibility, age, mental and emotional states, etc... equipment "should" be explored.  This is most likely not just as an off-the-rack exploration.  Equipment can and will fit the golfer and his/her most comfortable and reliable swing habits (for better or worse).  This includes all sticks in the bag.

5) The physical/mental/emotional components are all about expectations management.  PERIOD.

6) To execute any stroke in golf requires commitment.  We MUST 100% buy-in to what we do, how we do it, why we do it, when and with whom we do it.  That same mindset "can" make us devilish, myopic, egotistical, selfish,  and intolerable fools who lack interpersonal skills.

7) In life as in golf - NEVER underestimate people around you.  PERIOD. This post puts that fundamental at risk.

8) Any human who has all the answers about all-things-golf is not be taken too seriously.  Any human who builds such walls around all inputs and ideas is not to be taken too seriously. You can admire their tenacity and commitment but they shouldn't be followed to the ends of the earth.

9) NEVER and ALWAYS are words that have almost no place in any golf discussion - which flies right in the face of fundamental #6.

10) There is most likely no such thing as a true "feel" player or pure "mechanic".  Both are understandable rationalizations to self-categorize but both secretly seek the feel of good mechanics and the mechanics of good feel.

11) Regardless of physical limitations, age, sex, weight, past injury, or other challenges - there IS a swing/stroke and there is equipment that will provide us all better results - unless we simply don't really care.  AND... he/she who doesn't really care might just be on his/her own journey and may derive "results" from golf in a very individual and personal ways,  See fundamentals #7 and #8.

Turd is now in the punchbowl.  Of all crazy "true" stories, swing vids analyzed, yoking it up about everything from pie flavors to music to the weather... one fish now lays rotting on the beach!!!!    

NOW THERE'S A RANT GENTS!  TROT CRAP RIGHT OUT IN THE SUNSHINE AND LET IT STINK!  The more it gets ignored and unnoticed the more you KNOW it's a floater in that great bowl of life.   LMAO  :read:

Why don’t you just come out and say what you really mean.
Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

#12247 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
GolfWRX Likes : 8707

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:25 PM

Got nine holes in this morning to claim a game on the last day of play for 2017.  I played with Bill & Isabelle and Kathy, the super senior triumvirate that I play with on occasion.

It was hellish cold when I left the house at 9:30 and figured I'd get to the club for a coffee while we waited for a foursome to tee off in front of us.  Well, that coffee was to go as Kathy was determined that she was getting in front of those dames that take all day to play!  There was a certain irony that those dames would be standing there with arms crossed on the 8th fairway waiting for us to putt out and once again on the 9th tee waiting for us to reach the green...  :glare:   Further irony was in the form of ice on all the ponds as we made our way around the course.  It really left no doubt that we are at the end of the line for 2017.

As I said upthread I wasn't expecting much.  Took forever to get remotely close to being loose and that effort was hampered by the layers of clothing to make the 40°F tee off temperature bearable.  Oddly enough, my abbreviated swing  was able to deliver a couple of pars to start off with.  My decision to use my 7i & 9i primarily as my chipping clubs versus a SW paid dividends.  In fact, whenever the SW was pressed into duty for anything less than a full swing I would find myself regretting it.  

It's amazing what a decent chip can do for your putting stats.  I made a few putts and had no issues with the comebackers.  I'm going to rethink this whole short game set-up and approach next year.  In the last few rounds I played I started to rely more and more on a bump and run with an 8 or 9 versus trying to fly it there with a 56 or 58.  I'm pretty sure I had more close to the hole along the ground than through the air.  Keeping it simple seems to be something that works for me -- fewer clubs, wider gaps -- with 11 clubs as about the ideal for most situations.

A little tender after the fact.  There was no pain during the swing so I think I'm just going to have to work through getting the muscles used to activity again.  Getting back to curling will be a bigger challenge I think as the effort is greater.  Just work at it gradually.
Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

OGA miembro número catorce

#12248 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

American Bald Eagle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144465
GolfWRX Likes : 12503

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

The Fundamentals of Golf

Love it.... very good, #11, ............... plus, vultures eat rotting fish, then soar high and laugh...
Ping G 10* SFTec or G30 12* Alta Blue 55 Stiff Shaft Golf Pride MCC +4 Grip and/or
Tour 65 Stiff Shaft  Golf Pride MCC +4 Grip
Ping TiSi Tec 3 & 5 Wood S
Ping K15 7 Wood
Ping G15 4-PW Irons Golf Pride MCC +4 Grips
Vokey 48-6* 54-14*  58-10*  Wedges
Ping Anser 5 Milled Putter SuperStroke Fatso 5.0 CCT Grip
Snell My Tour Ball

Outlaw Golf Association #11
Senior Division-ha

#12249 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:09 PM

The Fundamentals of Golf

The Fundamentals of Golf

That all seems very reasonable.... i think....now lets Bounce it off Rad.....never mind.....

got an earful today...from my Gr/daughter......I was hitting a good iron shot ....and a poor one....and so on and so on......she says".Gramps,why are
you using such a closed stance...you never used to do that"     out of the mouths of babes.....opened it WAY open....and the shots started improving
immediately .... ......I had somehow started really closed with the irons...trying to get the proper flight,and had stayed that way without realizing it.                                  .Now I gotta really hunt for a good Christmas gift......
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

#12250 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 10068

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:44 PM

These pharmaceutical ads are getting out of hand. They are more than just annoying. They occupy 50% of the bandwidth of most TV these days. I'm not far from getting to the point where I am just going to start reading books again for nightly entertainment. I think I still have my library card...

Thug, we dumped our cable TV and bought the latest fancy Roku unit and now watch internet TV.
All we pay now is the $70 a month for high speed wireless internet...I think it's 60 mbs....oh and we
signed up for Netflix on 2 TVs for $10.95 a month total. No more endless pharma commercials and
we're saving $100 a month that we were spending on cable TV; 98% of it we didn't watch anyway.

Interesting Rad. Do you have a decent choice of channels? I watch mainly sports, documentaries, concerts, and weather.

The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#12251 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 10068

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

View PostConrad1953, on 14 November 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

I've been thinking of doing this, so since you dumped your cable, who do you get this 60 mbs internet through?

The same cable company. We dropped the cable TV but kept the Roadrunner high speed wireless internet.
They actually upped our internet speed. Our bill with them dropped from $170 to $70 per month. The
internet does come to us through a cable but once in the house we have a big wireless modem so we can

So you hook up a laptop or PC to the TV with an HDMI cable? Hmm, that way you can also use your tv as a high def computer screen?
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

#12252 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:24 PM

View Postthug the bunny, on 14 November 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

View PostConrad1953, on 14 November 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

So you hook up a laptop or PC to the TV with an HDMI cable? Hmm, that way you can also use your tv as a high def computer screen?

Yes, you CAN do that and I have done it BEFORE I got the Roku unit. It's a much better
way to be online with a big HD screen and better sound quality. Just plug in that HDMI
cable and bingo, you're in business.

What the Roku unit does is connect, without a cable, directly to your wireless internet modem,
if you have one. Once you get the unit all registered and signed up, etc etc, you then have
Roku TV and menus pop up with all sort of channels you can subscribe to; most of them
free.....and then there are some you can subscribe to for a price. We subscribed to Netflix,
which has tons of movies and a lot of other content. BTW, there is a youtube channel so you
can watch anything you want that is on youtube, and, of course, it is free.

But, really, if you don't want to get a Roku unit you can just plug in that HDMI cable from
your pc to your smart tv and watch all the online content you want...for the price of the HDMI
cable. Youtube music videos and concerts are soooooo much better when you can watch
them on a big HD screen with bigger sound......or you can still use headphones, of course.

Since I already have the Roku unit I just bring up the youtube channel and watch without
having to mess with connecting up my pc.....though that's not really a big deal.

I have to insert a caveat here though and that is if you are wanting to watch live cable
news stations and live sporting events or channels like the golf channel; so far I have
not found a way to do that with internet TV.  You can watch video clips and things like that
but nothing in real time. Most likely subscriptions will become available in due time but
for now live news and sports are very much lacking.

OTOH, when it comes to live golf I have watched the majors on line in a different way. For
example for the Masters you can watch Masters TV on line and watch featured groups
and holes in real time with minimal commentary. It's quite a bit different than normal viewing.
I actually like it though you do get to see how slow these guys really play, lol.

I think you can do the same with the other majors on their websites, i.e. USGA for the US
Open etc. They all just started doing this in the past couple years because the realize they
can expand the viewing audience considerably by offering more viewing platforms.

Internet TV is kind of in it's infancy right now and just really getting started. I think it will
get much better as time goes along and there will be more and better options for watching
live news and sports.

#12253 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:55 PM

Thank you Sixty, Bill,.and Tol. 100% expected the ignore treatment for that one - seriously.

////////////////

Since this one is not a vid - I'll just post the link:

https://www.moneycra...tal-tv-antenna/

I know of one gent who is doing this.  He's not getting hundreds of channels but does receive all the local channels with their daily normal programming in HD.  So I'd assume if you were on Roku, you 'could" somehow swap/toggle between it and  the HD antenna deal mentioned in the link and have a little bit of both at very low cost.

Edited by Reasonability, 14 November 2017 - 08:56 PM.

#12254 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:17 PM

I do have a Grille question.

With the holidays looming - would there be any point in planning a date for a Grille "party" of sorts?   The idea being all who wanted to could gang up here and tell stories of any sort at all, maybe favorite memories over the years of posts, golf stories, club hoing tips, and general gang "stuff".  Just a thought that on some given day and date over the next couple of months we'd perhaps organize ourselves a little goof-off "party" of sorts.  What specific date... doesn't matter that much to me personally.  TGiving and Xmas days might be a little bit tough given the whole fam damily stuff but there are lots of days on the calendar to pick from that might otherwise work.

Or - maybe such a thing is a little over the top????  I dunno,

Thoughts????   Won't hurt my feelings one way or the other.

#12255 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:19 PM

Thats a good article...thanks,....I do think i am going to explore this.....

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

#12256 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:21 PM

View PostReasonability, on 14 November 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

With the holidays looming - would there be any point in planning a date for a Grille "party" of sorts?   The idea being all who wanted to could gang up here and tell stories of any sort at all, maybe favorite memories over the years of posts, golf stories, club hoing tips, and general gang "stuff".  Just a thought that on some given day and date over the next couple of months we'd perhaps organize ourselves a little goof-off "party" of sorts.  What specific date... doesn't matter that much to me personally.  TGiving and Xmas days might be a little bit tough given the whole fam damily stuff but there are lots of days on the calendar to pick from that might otherwise work.

Sounds good to me....any day is fine....Tgiving...xmas eve and day are no 's....any other is ok
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

#12257 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:24 PM

View Postbillh17, on 14 November 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

You grew a big smile on my face when you related your granddaughter's setup swing tip!   Sounds like she's got golf fever - big time!

One fine day if she's up for it and cares to - it'd be my great honor to serve her up a little swing analysis - Reason-style!  lol.

#12258 PeanutsDaddy

PeanutsDaddy

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,911 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133046
GolfWRX Likes : 21416

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:30 PM

View Postbillh17, on 14 November 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

Sounds good to me....any day is fine....Tgiving...xmas eve and day are no 's....any other is ok

I'm in.
Cobra King F7 9*
Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)
Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)
Wishon 775hs 3 - 5
Wishon 560 - 6 - 7
Wishon 575mmc 8 - PW
Mac Custom Grind GW + LW (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

#12259 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:50 PM

View Postbillh17, on 14 November 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

The Fundamentals of Golf

Agree, if you're on the range hitting balls with no purpose, get off the range!

Yes, smart practice is preferable to dumb practice.

Absolutely. Trackman is good for optimizing clubs and balls to YOUR swing but not to fix your swing.

Yes, see above.

Yes, except when personal problems are also brought to the course.

Yes, I recall using the word "trust".  Trust begets commitment.

Don't overestimate either. Just be ready.

At some point you have to trust someone and make a commitment. You'll soon
learn if it was a good idea or not....especially if it was yourself that you trusted.

Always bold to make such a definitive statement but saved by the disclaimer "almost"

True Dat

The question is how do you know when you found it..........better or best results? At some
point you have to draw a line and say "OK, I'm happy. This is good enough" or do you
chase rainbows.....................

No doubt..........but the people who play it are far from goofy!

Cobi has me taking a sulfur supplement..........no kidding......good for the bones and joints;
not good when standing near a punch bowl.

That all seems very reasonable.... i think....now lets Bounce it off Rad.....never mind.....got an earful today...from my Gr/daughter......I was hitting a good iron shot ....and a poor one....and so on and so on......she says".Gramps,why areyou using such a closed stance...you never used to do that" out of the mouths of babes.....opened it WAY open....and the shots started improvingimmediately .... ......I had somehow started really closed with the irons...trying to get the proper flight,and had stayed that way without realizing it.   .Now I gotta really hunt for a good Christmas gift......

Bounce...................oh no..................It's amazing how you can get off in your setup so easily. I've done it too Bill. Had afriend tell me once "you know you're aiming 30 yards right of the green?" Uh....no.I was coming OTT and was setting up aimed right and hitting pulls on the green!

Edited by Conrad1953, 14 November 2017 - 10:00 PM.

#12260 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:55 PM

Geez, when I responded to your post Reasy I bolded it but didn't leave enough space. I hope you
can make out my responses OK........I'll try to fix it.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#12261 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:11 PM

View PostReasonability, on 14 November 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

View Postbillh17, on 14 November 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

You grew a big smile on my face when you related your granddaughter's setup swing tip!   Sounds like she's got golf fever - big time!

One fine day if she's up for it and cares to - it'd be my great honor to serve her up a little swing analysis - Reason-style!  lol.
hahaha    she's a little skittish....but we'll see.....
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

#12262 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:16 PM

View PostConrad1953, on 14 November 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

View Postbillh17, on 14 November 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

The Fundamentals of Golf

Agree, if you're on the range hitting balls with no purpose, get off the range!

Yes, smart practice is preferable to dumb practice.

Absolutely. Trackman is good for optimizing clubs and balls to YOUR swing but not to fix your swing.

Yes, see above.

Yes, except when personal problems are also brought to the course.

Yes, I recall using the word "trust".  Trust begets commitment.

Don't overestimate either. Just be ready.

At some point you have to trust someone and make a commitment. You'll soon
learn if it was a good idea or not....especially if it was yourself that you trusted.

Always bold to make such a definitive statement but saved by the disclaimer "almost"

True Dat

The question is how do you know when you found it..........better or best results? At some
point you have to draw a line and say "OK, I'm happy. This is good enough" or do you
chase rainbows.....................

No doubt..........but the people who play it are far from goofy!

Cobi has me taking a sulfur supplement..........no kidding......good for the bones and joints;
not good when standing near a punch bowl.

That all seems very reasonable.... i think....now lets Bounce it off Rad.....never mind.....got an earful today...from my Gr/daughter......I was hitting a good iron shot ....and a poor one....and so on and so on......she says".Gramps,why areyou using such a closed stance...you never used to do that" out of the mouths of babes.....opened it WAY open....and the shots started improvingimmediately .... ......I had somehow started really closed with the irons...trying to get the proper flight,and had stayed that way without realizing it.   .Now I gotta really hunt for a good Christmas gift......

Bounce...................oh no..................It's amazing how you can get off in your setup so easily. I've done it too Bill. Had afriend tell me once "you know you're aiming 30 yards right of the green?" Uh....no.I was coming OTT and was setting up aimed right and hitting pulls on the green!

apparently i was trying to aim at the center.....follow thru to the right...and the ball was going all over !  The relief i felt with the first eight or nine
shots after i dropped my left foot back....wow.....the ball flight was nice again( I enjoy making the crows dodge the ball)....and a good number
with no bad strikes....whew !
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

#12263 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:31 PM

Sounds good to me, the only problem could be my slow response if it’s late night in Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

#12264 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

View PostConrad1953, on 14 November 2017 - 09:55 PM, said:

Geez, when I responded to your post Reasy I bolded it but didn't leave enough space. I hope you
can make out my responses OK........I'll try to fix it.

Me Likee!  We have the makings here of a group effort.  "The Fundamentals" by the Grille Gang.  Aka - a composite of "stuff" that has very little to do with much more than the space between our ears.  LOL.

Getting out of whack with alignment and stance width is SUCH an easy pitch fork to snag your britches on.  Wish I had a nickel for every time someone said (after I hit it) - "Hey it's going right where you were pointing".  The trail hand sits lower on the handle which easily gets the trail shoulder dipping forward - and the whole upper body points to the pull side.  No idea why we do it but we all seem to get the feet on some line that just about anything and everything but what it should be.  Heck this golfer played a purposeful push-hook for years.  Yup!  Lined up pointing to the right side trees and prayed she hooked back.  LMAO that one didn't always turn out so well!

#12265 billh17

billh17

just happy to play

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

in reference to a comment here the other day....Someone just started a new thread asking which SHARPIE to use to mark their ball.
Amazing

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

#12266 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
GolfWRX Likes : 8707

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:37 PM

The Fundamentals of Golf:  Lots of nuggets of wisdom in there Reasy!

I'm probably the poster boy for bad practice.  If I'm hitting the ball well; it's good practice.  If I'm hitting the ball poorly; it's bad practice.  Probably has something to do with why I practice so seldom in earnest, but so often to simply get the muscles moving in the right direction.  My best practice has always involved the bulk of the time spent inside 100 yards at least that's the practice that has an impact on the scorecard!

I've explored a lot of equipment.  Most of it will get the job done after a suitable adjustment period.  Every once in a while you run across something that just plain works from the get go.  Don't let that club out of your hands or get the idea that you might find something out there that's better; IOW if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Absolutes are for scientific law or mathematical proofs.  For the rest of life use at your peril!

Feel has its limitations.  As you have astutely pointed out, it's the feel of good mechanics that we're all searching for.

Expectations or more correctly unrealistic expectations are the bane of our existence.   We would all be happier if we could embrace good enough.  It takes a lot of years to figure that out.  The trick of course is that in certain circumstances good enough isn't and knowing you need to keep the pursuit up.
Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

OGA miembro número catorce

#12267 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:40 PM

View Posttolmij, on 14 November 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

Sounds good to me, the only problem could be my slow response if it’s late night in Australia.

Yup - would need to maybe think of a date more so than an specified hour (or hours) on that date to get all time zones included.  As is we already seem to have those more prone to morning posts while others are less likely to post early in the day.  So it prolly wouldn't make much sense to narrow down exact start/stop hours.  

Cool thing would be - it's come as you are.  Black tie and tales purely optional!!!  lol.

#12268 tolmij

tolmij

Living in paradise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:44 PM

We have a box that is linked directly to the TV but also has internet access. It gives us all the free to air channels plus another 40+ internet channels. We can access Netflix, Stan YouTube and several other services, plus all the new movies. The new movies are paid for on a one off watch basis and there are plenty of older movies for free. Any channel not free can be subscribed to on a monthly term.

This is called a fetch box, paId for as a one off we paid around $300 with no subscription to anyone other than the pay channels. All the internet connection are done via the house WIFI. It comes with an Ipad AP that lets you set up recording view on IPad or TV. Useful tool best one we have had as yet.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

#12269 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

View PostReasonability, on 14 November 2017 - 10:40 PM, said:

View Posttolmij, on 14 November 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

Yup - would need to maybe think of a date more so than an specified hour (or hours) on that date to get all time zones included.  As is we already seem to have those more prone to morning posts while others are less likely to post early in the day.  So it prolly wouldn't make much sense to narrow down exact start/stop hours.  

Cool thing would be - it's come as you are.  Black tie and tales purely optional!!!  lol.

WRX for me. I'm here every day. Nothing like some good holiday cheer! No egg nog for me though.
You can give mine to Q. He's an egg nog kinda guy.....oh and NO chicken on my pizza please.

Fella not love us any more?

#12270 Reasonability

Reasonability

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:14 PM

I dunno what fate has befallen Fella.  Clueless.   Maybe he and Gaucho are off perfecting the shower toaster or some other cool new invention.  Just hope they're both OK is about all we can do.  BSC might be holding them both hostage.  Rumor has it he'll let them go for a couple dozen high end golf balls.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

tolmij, BIG STU

GolfWRX Sponsors