Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

To all you single digit swing tinkerers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34467
GolfWRX Likes : 170

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:30 AM

Starting golf's version of the AA 12 step program to all of you single digit (- or +)who constantly tinker with your swing.  You must stop.  It's one thing to make a minor adjustment to your swing and quite another to keep reading these posts, magazines, online videos etc. for clues and cues and make much bigger changes.

My name is _______ and I am a golf swing tinkerer.  Personally I've usually hovered between a 5 and a 7 hanicapper for decades, more in the 6 range mostly.  But adter a lesson and an address/swing adjustment I couldn'r miss for 2 months and my handicap plummeted to 0.7.

That was then...now I'm back into the 6 range and owe it all to constant tinkering trying to figure out what I was doing when it was going so well. Tinkering has made a mess of me and the worst thing is that I have lost the enjoyment of the game as I strive--wrong headedly--to get back.  Quite frankly I don't know if I'm going backwards or forwards.

So I am done tinkering and will find as repeatable a f e e l i n g as I can find and consitently use that swing-without screwing around with my basic f e e l i n g.  For me, if I can feel the swing or move I want I can repeat it.

Best to all.

Edited by juliette91, 21 May 2016 - 07:33 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 benden

benden

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344307
  • Handicap:Nose
GolfWRX Likes : 901

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:24 PM

To tinker or not to tinker?

That is the question.

Such is golf.

Just about every, Goddam, one of Us does.

Human nature.

Every 'Pro', single digit or hacker does it.

You'll be fine though.

The feeling your searching for will appear, next week.
Golf - Why's that?

#3 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:37 AM

View Postbenden, on 21 May 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

To tinker or not to tinker?

That is the question.

Such is golf.

Just about every, Goddam, one of Us does.

Human nature.

Every 'Pro', single digit or hacker does it.

You'll be fine though.

The feeling your searching for will appear, next week.

Ha!  You're so right.  Will wait for next week...

#4 nikegal

nikegal

Golf...A Club, A Ball, A Divot, Ball Flight & A Target.....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 414844
  • Handicap::-)
GolfWRX Likes : 2681

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

My low handicap Players(2- and below) and most definitely my Plus female students do not "tinker." Most Play competitively and their time, focus and energy is spent on Playing golf and getting the lowest score possible and not playing swing. I find the 12- to 20- handicaps being prone, like their male counterparts, to searching for the holy grail and playing around with their swings, stunting both their growth as golfers and their enjoyment of the game. I must say though, that my guys are much more prone to trying things that they might read, hear from a buddy or think up themselves than my girls. You obviously have the game To Play at scratch or Plus and I wish You the very best in getting back there. Have a nice season :) Maddie

Edited by nikegal, 25 May 2016 - 02:43 PM.

#5 playoffbeard23

playoffbeard23

Gunga Galunga

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 389058
  • Ebay ID:playoffbeard23
GolfWRX Likes : 401

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:51 PM

Read this title and thought it was going to about club tinkering, which would be blasphemy around these parts!

... I need a 12 step for that haha

Dr: Yips
TM 08' Burner 3W w/ Speeder 757 X  
TM SLDR 5HL w/ Speeder 757x
Callaway Legacy Black 4i w/ Steelfiber i110x ss1x
Callaway X Forged '13 5i w/ KBS Tour S+
Callaway Razr MB 6-9 w/ KBS Tour S+

Callaway X Jaws 48.10 KBS Tour S+
Callaway X Jaws 52.10 KBS Tour S+
Callaway X Jaws 56.12
KBS Tour S+ ss1x
Callaway X Jaws 60.08 KBS Tour S+ ss1x

Odyssey Pro Type #2 340g Blacked out "Cottonmouth" 34"

My WITB - New pics! Set for 2017!
http://www.golfwrx.c...fbeard23s-witb/

#6 juliette91

juliette91

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:49 AM

View Postnikegal, on 25 May 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

My low handicap Players(2- and below) and most definitely my Plus female students do not "tinker." Most Play competitively and their time, focus and energy is spent on Playing golf and getting the lowest score possible and not playing swing. I find the 12- to 20- handicaps being prone, like their male counterparts, to searching for the holy grail and playing around with their swings, stunting both their growth as golfers and their enjoyment of the game. I must say though, that my guys are much more prone to trying things that they might read, hear from a buddy or think up themselves than my girls. You obviously have the game To Play at scratch or Plus and I wish You the very best in getting back there. Have a nice season :) Maddie

Realize this is a bit late for a reply but better late than never.  Thank you for your thoughtful post.  What you said about your low handicap players "Playing golf" and not "playing swing" really resonates with me.  Hearing advice that represents more than one voice---in this case the voices of your lowest handicap players---has more force of importance and really brings home the message.

So a few days ago I said to myself to find some kind of natural flow feeling and just stick with it.  Of course easier said than done, but your kind words of encouragement to me-- that I had achieved a near scratch handicap at one point and I had the chops to do so again--bolstered my spirits and made me believe that I had to play golf and not play swing.  Then I also came to this realization, that many top top players mishit shots, many get out of sync, some vanish from the pro ranks because they never get that sync back.

So for me to give up---because of a bad day or a bad stretch or even a few bad days--- on what feels right and has produced good shots makes no sense at all.  Yesterday, a prime example, as I played even on the front and then hit a couple bad shots and one misjudged one to balloon a score.  Ordinarily I'd start tinkering again.  But not this time!  Thank you.

Edited by juliette91, 09 September 2016 - 10:50 AM.

#7 aliikane

aliikane

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113801
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 193

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:00 AM

I would bet if you asked every pro on the PGA tour, "What are you working on in your golf swing?". Almost everyone (if not everyone) would have some answer to what they were working on because most have a swing coach. Not sure if that is defined as tinkering. They are not necessarily playing golf swing but always trying to improve their ball striking if they have off days which everyone has. However, Tiger is one that I see playing golf swing because he has been out of the game so long and doesn't have his swing grooved yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors