Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

An Explosee of Mindnumbness

3405 replies to this topic

#3391 Halebopp

Halebopp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
GolfWRX Likes : 1410

Posted 22 December 2018 - 02:14 PM

I've convinced myself I need new wedges, most probably an M grind, lowish bounce sand wedge and the TM Hi-Toe. It must be the arrow, not the Indian. Maybe going down the route of two wide-soled PMP wedges in 55 and 59 wasn't the best choice, especially when playing bunkers with compact sand. The Hi-Toe seemed like a fun club when I demoed it but if I remember correctly, it reveals quite a bit of sole when opened up for a bunker shot. Thus an M grind might be the way to go in the sand wedge.

Only five more months until I can demo them properly outdoors. Hopefully I don't come up with too many other ideas on how to supposedly buy my way to better scores along the way.

Happy holidays to all of you!

D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5º, Orochi Red Stiff
4W: Titleist 917 F2, 16.5º, Speeder Pro 84 TS Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#3392 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,722 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 11632

Posted 22 December 2018 - 02:59 PM

One of my best friends and I always play match play straight up.  He's about a 4 index and I'm carrying about a 7.5 right now.  It's ironic though, the matches are usually closer than they should be because the fact that I'm essentially spotting him 3.5 strokes puts all of the pressure on him.  We have been doing this for over a year now, once a month, twice a month sometimes, loser picks up the sandwiches for lunch.  I beat him for the first time a few weeks back and yesterday we had our first tie.  He stuck one close on the first hole and made birdie and I 3-putted for bogey, somewhere else during the round I made a double and he made a par, so he actually beat me by 2 strokes if we were playing stroke with a 79 vs. an 81.  Neither of us putted very well.  It was pretty cold high-30's F when we teed off and the ball wasn't going anywhere.  I've come to value these little matches as much as any rounds I play.  Often times we find these holes in the tee sheet where it feels like we have the whole golf course to ourselves.  We almost always walk.  Yesterday we played in a little under 4 hours.  Somewhere during the round we were actually talking about how if you could always play in under 4 hours how much more golf folks would play.  Anyways, it was a good early start to another year of golf.  I'm still experimenting with my 1/2 over build and I think it's going to work out well for me.  I've come to realize that I should be playing D4 in all of my clubs.  It's just where I'm the most consistent.  I'm going to have to order a shaft extractor to build this set as the shafts are Steelfibers.  Hope everyone is well!

#3393 Halebopp

Halebopp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
GolfWRX Likes : 1410

Posted 22 December 2018 - 03:38 PM

My favourite time on the course is definitely playing matches against one friend, we have a season-long tournament, a point for a win and half a point for a draw. He's won the past two years but next year I'll beat him. He's slightly better and more consistent than me but we play straight up. Some matches are ugly finishing 9&7 either way but usually the matches are good. We shoot the bull in between shots but when it's time to prepare for a shot, it's usually more serious than in any tournament I've played. The rounds can also be quite slow, it might take us closer to four hours (we let others through when needed) if it goes down to the wire whereas we can easily play a non-match round in 3:20 without rushing it with another friend in the group and no one in front of us.

It's a 40-minute, 60 km drive for me to our home club, there's one 9-hole track and an 18-hole club both about 10 minutes away, an 18-hole track 15 minutes away and a 36-hole place 30 km but almost 30 minutes away. The problem is all of those clubs have a lot more members (and the courses are worse) as our 36-hole club. That means there's always tee times available even for the three of us, our regular group and four hours is a long round, 4:15 is closing in on terrible. The other courses? You need to book days in advance and there's no chance of playing under 4 hours, anything under 4:30 would be good. Every time we play the other courses we can say we're more than happy we don't have to play like that day in and day out as all the waiting gets really frustrating. The worst was a 5:05 round with the group ahead quitting at the turn.

It would also be a real problem in the autumn as the sun starts setting earlier and earlier. Our "after-work season" is three weeks longer due to being able to play our rounds an hour faster than in other places. Three weeks is a lot in a seven-month season.
D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5º, Orochi Red Stiff
4W: Titleist 917 F2, 16.5º, Speeder Pro 84 TS Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

#3394 mdgboxx

mdgboxx

Put lipstick on a pig - - - it's still a pig

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61336
GolfWRX Likes : 8169

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:52 AM

A very Merry Christmas to each and all of of you and yours.
DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2,
Red Dot
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts

BALL: Srixon XV  
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

#3395 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 29852

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:29 AM

View PostleftyDH04, on 10 December 2018 - 09:59 PM, said:

BIG STU, Ninja, anyone have an opinion about something...

I've been considering building a half inch over standard set.  I like heavier swing weight and think it will close the gap to my 5 hybrid better.  Is there anything I'm overlooking here?!?  That seems like a ridiculous question, but I built one seven iron with an old 6 iron shaft with no slug and I like the feel.  I'm thinking of just building the whole set straight in and wherever the swing weight ends up so be it.
What you did on the 7 iron is called soft tipping and makes the head kick a little more. I am a big proponent of that. As far as exact swing weights on my clubs for myself I never use my machine. I do it all by feel. Recently I have been experimenting with a older pristine set of KZG Forged CBs with Swing Science 400 shafts which are 90 gram. I had built those clubs for my running partner Bear 2 years ago. He had showed up back from NY with those irons and the shafts. Him being the club ho he is played them one time and in the back bedroom they went. Recently with my back problems he had suggested I pull those shafts and put them in my 2013 Callys. I hit the KZGs on a whim and loved them. They are long as heck but workable. The lofts are the same as what I have my vintage Mac blades set at based on a 47* PW. For my feel they balanced out perfectly. Had to use some lead tape on the PW to get it a little heavier for me and some in the 4 and 5 irons. Now I am experimenting with a Gap Wedge because that PW is so hot I can not tone it down. I love those irons and have done a lot of research on them with help from my fellow WRXer and pal DJaid. They are Kyoei forged and that explains the great feel. I have only managed one round in the last month due to rain. Actually only got 13 holes in but I was -1 after 13 holes . I was throwing darts with those things. I really picked up distance without trying and my back does not hurt. Maybe I can get a weekend that is dry soon------ But hey guys Merry Christmas

Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
SW Macgregor LRA 56* TT Wedge S-400 DJ Special
Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Rusty as hell and lead taped
Bag-- Original Ping Hoofer
Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want screw the USGA & R&A
Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
Vintage
Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green
PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
SW Vokey 252 series 56* S-400 wedge
Putter ( subject to change) Cleveland 8802 Designed By
Bag Old School Titleist Stand

#3396 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,722 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2018 - 03:53 PM

I guess the powers that be, realized that I re-registered and converted my lefty account back to my Matt J account.  No real mention of it in the PM's other than to make me acknowledge the old warning from last time.  I guess it is wise not to comment too much about moderation considering the collective track record of the Outlaws :)

Exciting news!  Just purchased tickets to visit Scotland and play golf.  I started a thread about it over in the travel section.

I'm still experimenting with the shafts and builds, but weather has been cold and wet, so I'm taking a little break from testing.  Also, I have to buy a shaft extractor for pulling these Steelfibers.  Some were previous pulls and I'm degrading them doing my "redneck engineering" way.  I need something to exert force while I exert heat to make sure I'm pulling them as soon as the epoxy breaks.

#3397 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,722 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:03 PM

Dang, I expected Ninja to be counting down to playing some real cool golf courses!  Where you at Mr. Ninjitsu?

Got all my details lined up for Scotland.  Now just have to wait, looks like I'll be playing 7 days and travelling 3.  Can't wait!

#3398 DeNinny

DeNinny

Major Wiener

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21391
GolfWRX Likes : 18733

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:48 AM

Hey MJ, that Scotland trip sounds great.

As to myself and golf I haven't been playing much lately.  LOL I'm too obsessed with playing Red Dead Redemption 2.  But am going to Bandon on Sunday.
TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

#3399 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,722 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:36 PM

Don't be too surprised Confessioners, but there will be a tiny 2 man meetup in the near future! Details will follow.

#3400 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,794 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

View PostMatt J, on 12 January 2019 - 10:36 PM, said:

Don't be too surprised Confessioners, but there will be a tiny 2 man meetup in the near future! Details will follow.
Damn!! Would love to be out on the left coast ---uggh West Coast and play with you guys--- I could see it would be a million laughs probably could not play worth a hoot for laughing

Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want screw the USGA & R&A
Vintage

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#3401 DeNinny

DeNinny

Major Wiener

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,385 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:34 PM

View PostBIG STU, on 13 January 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

View PostMatt J, on 12 January 2019 - 10:36 PM, said:

Damn!! Would love to be out on the left coast ---uggh West Coast and play with you guys--- I could see it would be a million laughs probably could not play worth a hoot for laughing

Maestro STU it would be a true honor and hoot to play with you. I really hope that day will come sometime.  Note that I do get out to NC every now and then.

And OMFG if the golf isn't just perfect right now out here at Bandon.  It's the middle of January and today it was 60F, clear blue skies, and at most a 5mph wind. I don't know if the weather could have been better. And the course, Pacific Dunes (https://www.bandondu...s/pacific-dunes) was just fan freaking tastic.  I would share pics but I confess my WRX storage limit is maxed out.

Registered Bladeocrat

#3402 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,722 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:07 PM

The weather was sublime, and we certainly shared some laughs!  We would have loved to have had you Big Stu.

#3403 DeNinny

DeNinny

Major Wiener

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,385 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:59 PM

View PostMatt J, on 14 January 2019 - 11:07 PM, said:

The weather was sublime, and we certainly shared some laughs!  We would have loved to have had you Big Stu.

Yes, I certainly could have used his wisdom and watched his mastery in person on hitting it clean off tight lies.

'twas a great day.

Registered Bladeocrat

#3404 Palauan Hammer

Palauan Hammer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 352867
GolfWRX Likes : 10452

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:09 PM

WAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZUP Guys!!!

Sorry I've been out for a while, been working A LOT. Full time day job, range 4 nights a week, one drumming gig a week, then golf on the weekend!

Been making some good progress with my game, and I'm gonna be playing the Philippine Tour Q School next month. I feel ready, and no matter the outcome at least I'll learn something and gain more experience. I'll keep you all posted, I leave in about 31 days or something.

Grabbed a ping g max driver, gave it a whirl this past weekend and holy smokes this thing is pretty darn good. But the best club I've added in recent times is a driving iron, stupid easy to hit and I can get it out there close to 300 with roll. Its a weapon hahaha.

Hope everyone is well! Happy New Year and wishing you all a GREAT 2019!!
OGA Member #3232

Epic SubZero 9* Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi XT 70tx
Cally Xr Pro 14*   GD  Tour Ad MT 8tx
Titleist 714 MB 3-Pw  Nippon Modus 130x
Nike Vr Forged 52,56,60 TT Dg S400
Ping Anser 2

#3405 DeNinny

DeNinny

Major Wiener

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,385 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:21 PM

Palauan Hamboogler it's really great to hear from you and freaking awesome you are going to PI Q school!  And LMAO I swear yesterday playing Bandon Trails with Matt J, I was asking about you and was hoping that you didn't fall off the wagon or anything because I thought you disappeared for good.

Oh and FYI my baby blade 2i is the perfect driving iron.  LOL mine only goes 200 yds, though.  300 yards...WTF!!!

Registered Bladeocrat

#3406 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,794 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:23 PM

Hammer Man good to hear from you---- that is what it takes to succeed keeping that nose to the grindstone. 300 with the driving iron Wish I could hit a driver 300 yards. Let us know how the Q school goes we are really pulling for you.
Vintage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

DeNinny