Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

An Explosee of Mindnumbness

3345 replies to this topic

#3331 dan360

dan360

Paisano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
GolfWRX Likes : 6195

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:56 PM

View PostHalebopp, on 20 May 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

What sort of lady garment is there beneath the Miuras? :D

Funnily enough, I took my MP-4s out for the first time this year and I shot by far my season-best 81, +10. Two birdies and a third one was close rolling over the hole but bouncing out from the back of the hole.

I can't say it was down to the irons though as I kept hitting them slightly thin. The shafts are very different in feel (105 grams vs counter-balanced, 120 grams) and I couldn't get it exactly right yet. The ones I did get right felt so, so sweet though.

I had puta couple of for sale posts online about my MP-650 fairway woods  but they got a chance today and boy did they deliver.  Another round like that and I'm not sure if upgrading is worth it even though the 917 is better.

As for confessions, I confess I put a safe lay-up shot with a PW into a water hazard. :D Also, I can barely walk at the moment. I decided to go jogging on Friday evening and ended up doing a 21 km run (a half marathon but I hate the term). I could barely walk on Saturday, today was better but downhills were still a struggle. I could've not gone jogging on Friday and played even three rounds over the weekend but stupid is what stupid does. :)

I can't even READ the words "half marathon" without feeling it.   Yikes.  

MP-650 woods are great clubs.

As of 26APR2018

TaylorMade M1 '17 440 9° HZRDUS Yellow
TaylorMade M1 '17 3HL KuroKage
Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron Modus 120
Mizuno MP-33 3-PW S300 1 soft step +.5 2 flat
Mizuno MP-T10 54(bent to 52)/60 DGW  +.5 1 flat
PING Anser Jim Wells tour 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
OUUL h2oProof stand bag black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#3332 Halebopp

Halebopp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
GolfWRX Likes : 1252

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

View Postdan360, on 21 May 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

I wouldn't be able to run a marathon if I tried so the 21 is close to my maximum, at least without anything to eat and drink on the way. Of course, the idiot in me is inevitably going to try 30 km one day.

The 650s are definitely good clubs but the shafts are probably a bit too whippy for me.
D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5*, Orochi Red Stiff
3&5W: Mizuno MP-650, 15*, 18*, Orochi Red Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

#3333 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,652 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 25789

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:46 AM

View PostHalebopp, on 22 May 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

I wouldn't be able to run a marathon if I tried so the 21 is close to my maximum, at least without anything to eat and drink on the way. Of course, the idiot in me is inevitably going to try 30 km one day.

The 650s are definitely good clubs but the shafts are probably a bit too whippy for me.
Down here some of these yuppies run around with the little circular signs that read like 5.5 etc on their shiny SUVs I am the counter culture I have one that says 0.0 :taunt: . Actually had some yuppie confront me on that basically said my fat a** needs to run. I told him I might not can run 5.5 or what ever but bet $1000 I could whip his butt :stink:  But seriously if that is what you like to do and enjoying doing it well my hat is off to you.
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
4 wood 16.5 TM V-Steel Stock TM Stiff
Hybrid Adams Peanut 22* Stock Adams stiff hybrid shaft
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore
LW  Cleveland 588 60* DG Sensicore custom sole Scratch EGG style
Putter- 1987 Vintage Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Rusty and beat up nicknamed "Rusty"
Bag-- Original Ping Hoofer or Vintage Titleist Mini Staff
Vintage-- Too many variables to list and I get tired of updating this thing!
Founding Father of the Outlaw golf Association Member #1--Screw the USGA play what you want to
Home of Redneck Hippie golf where When The Tailgate Drops The BS Stop

#3334 Halebopp

Halebopp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

View PostBIG STU, on 26 May 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

Down here some of these yuppies run around with the little circular signs that read like 5.5 etc on their shiny SUVs I am the counter culture I have one that says 0.0 :taunt: . Actually had some yuppie confront me on that basically said my fat a** needs to run. I told him I might not can run 5.5 or what ever but bet $1000 I could whip his butt :stink:  But seriously if that is what you like to do and enjoying doing it well my hat is off to you.

I like cross-country skiing but I'm not a big fan of cycling and jogging. Either I get the idea to go out and after that it's just determination to go a certain distance. I just feel the need to do that stuff to stay in some kind of condition and to be able to do things the older I get. Some years ago it was a bit of an eye-opener when I witnessed how quickly my grandfather went from a strong (not farm and steel mill strong but strong) man to the fragile state in the end.

It's better to make a habit out of exercising now before it's too late. As a kid I wasn't very good at sports and gym at school and PT in the military made me hate sports. Considering that, I've certainly found some joy in going out on my own.

Edited by Halebopp, 26 May 2018 - 04:45 PM.

Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

#3335 DeNinny

DeNinny

Major Wiener

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21391
GolfWRX Likes : 18604

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:28 PM

View PostHalebopp, on 26 May 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

View PostBIG STU, on 26 May 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

I like cross-country skiing but I'm not a big fan of cycling and jogging. Either I get the idea to go out and after that it's just determination to go a certain distance. I just feel the need to do that stuff to stay in some kind of condition and to be able to do things the older I get. Some years ago it was a bit of an eye-opener when I witnessed how quickly my grandfather went from a strong (not farm and steel mill strong but strong) man to the fragile state in the end.

It's better to make a habit out of exercising now before it's too late. As a kid I wasn't very good at sports and gym at school and PT in the military made me hate sports. Considering that, I've certainly found some joy in going out on my own.

TEE CB4 10* Driver, Fujikura Speeder 652 R-flex
TEE CB2 13* 3w, 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 18* 5w, 21* 7w, 65g Fujikura Motore F1 R-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, Iomic Absolute X

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

#3336 Halebopp

Halebopp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:24 AM

A couple of pro-like moments for me lately. I got a note in the mail telling me I had a package from our golf union waiting to be picked up. There were a couple of polo shirts, a cap, winter mittens and a very nice, water-proof jacket equipped with the union logos and "Rules" imprint on the sleeves. It's a bit of a shame they didn't send any pants though, I wouldn't like to go Donald Duck while officiating. :)

Secondly, a bit of a brag, I hit the longest drive I've ever hit on Sunday. GPS measured exactly 310 meters, or 339 yards. I had about 150 yards left to the middle of a top-of-a-hill green on a par 5 with wind blowing behind my back. The confession? I decided to go for a smooth 8 iron rather than a full-out 9 iron but I didn't hit it smoothly, I hit it lazily and fat and ended up with an easy par. :D

For the past couple of years we've barely had dry fairways but with three weeks of "heat wave" (20-27ºC, 68-80F, we didn't crack 77F once all of last year), we're actually getting some hard fairways and balls actually leap forward, not simply plugging (and bouncing backwards) or rolling a feet or two.

Still struggling a bit with the MP-4s, trying to find the balance with hooks and pushes to the right but it's about the differences in the shafts. I also put new grips on the 650s, built them up with 2-3 extra layers of tape but didn't insert any counter-balance weights. Maybe the bigger grip will give a bit more of control and feel.
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

#3337 DeNinny

DeNinny

Major Wiener

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

Nice update Halebopp.  A 339 yd drive earns you WRX "average" drive status.  

On Saturday I had my first eagle on a par 4.  180yds to a tight pin at the front of the green.  My ball was in the rough with an uphill lie and above my feet.  Hit a 3i (baby blade, baby!).  Nutted it pure and straight at the flag.  The ball landed 5 yds in front of the green, bounced to the fringe and rolled straight into the cup.  I was playing with a few WRXers and WishIPlayedMore just about tackled me in a congratulatory hug.  It was probably the finest shot I've ever hit.  

And I still only shot 87.  Too many triples (1-3 per round) has been killing me lately.  Short game is still struggling.  Sunday was a little better with an 85 in howling afternoon winds.

Edited by DeNinny, 29 May 2018 - 09:47 AM.

Registered Bladeocrat

#3338 Halebopp

Halebopp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:04 AM

Well done, that's a good distance away to hole out!

I'm still in search of my first eagle on a par 4 and by today's performance, it's a long way away. Hook, hosel eocket, hook, hosel rocket... Even on partial wedge shots. It was a good walk spoiled. I have my work cut out for a range session or two in the very near future.
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

#3339 DeNinny

DeNinny

Major Wiener

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:47 PM

Halebopp if I never make a hole-in-one at least I'll have that shot.  The next farthest hole out that I ever had was a 50 yard pitch from the fairway for birdie.

I've been practicing after work more often lately with focus on short game the most and slowly but surely I am getting more confident and more accurate.  I finally think I am going to make some headway on the course because I (confess) that I used plain and simple physics to correct my pitches and chips.  I had been both chunking and skulling shots with my wedges and I had no confidence in the bottom of my swing on any short game shot.  To fix I learned to relax my shoulders and arms better in the swing but more importantly I started making a tighter and slightly more up tempo turn with my hips.  As per one of my swing flaws, my loosely positioned hips and "drift" of them targetwards in the downswing was moving my impact position and finally I figured out that is the same thing that has plagued my full swing.  Hips stability is so key to consistency.  And now after the last few practice sessions I am making really clean contact with the ball and it pops nice off the face on all my chips.

Also with my putting I improved my stroke by bending over at my hips more so my eyes are right over the top of the ball.  Also I sit back and get my butt past being over my heels to counterweight my forward bend.  And now since I'm not standing so close to the ball I can rock my shoulders up and down more consistently and with a straighter stroke and more room for my arms to hang straight down.

I'm engineering my game to get better one variable at a time now and I'm once again loving the game and seeing nothing but improvement down the road because the path is more crystal clear to me than ever.  My ball striking is as good as it ever has been due to detailed technical focus on proper swing mechanics.
It has been to the detriment of my short game but now with my engineering approach to troubleshooting my issues with it I am learning how to correct my own issues.  I confess that I've never been in this space before and I attribute a lot of it to my WRX experience on these boards and being able to type up what I "see" in my mind.  It's been very helpful and a big part of it has been alignment of what I'm saying with fellow WRXers, most of all with other confessors in these threads.

Registered Bladeocrat

#3340 Halebopp

Halebopp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:12 PM

Your problems sound very familiar to me, the blow-up holes, issues controlling the low point of the stroke etc. I hit the range on Saturday and after hitting two buckets of very questionable wedge shots from around 50-60 yards (a fair share of shanks), I went to check Youtube for some ideas as I wasn't sure what was wrong. The first video I came across was Crossfield's and he said shanked wedge shots are usually from out-to-in path and suggested doing a bit of a loop to get the club back inside. It worked and I was able to figure out the new path without doing the loop. Needless to say, last year my problem was too flat a swing coming too much from the inside. :D

Even so, I was still pulling the wedge shots to the left and I couldn't completely cure my irons of the hooks. We headed out to play today and played the front +2 with a birdie-birdie finish. There's a bit of wind, there's actual warnings as the gusts can be north of 30 mph and on the 9th hole I hit this absolutely perfect approach 5 iron off the deck as it was about 175 to the back of the green and the 5 is around 180 for me. The dead-straight, straight-into-the-wind shot flew almost 145 yards but landed on the green and set up the bird.

Then the tires fell off, I didn't even make a single par on the back nine. :D The shots weren't terrible, just slightly bad and exactly in the wrong places. 5 yards longer, shorter or more to the right or left would've saved a fair share of them. Until the last hole that is where I hit 3 shots OB with the 917 16.5 3 wood set to 18 degrees. The tees are on the side of a hill, about 65 feet above the bottom of the hill, exposed to wind from the left (from where it was blowing hard) and with OB on the right. All three attempts sailed OB with no control whatsoever.

It got me slightly suspicious about the whole club but maybe it was just a one-time thing. I did hit three other good tee shots with it and one decent. Off the deck I hit it well 4 times and only topped one into the water when I was gripping down to take some distance off. Otherwise no fats or tops or overly off line shots.

I was already buying the 16.5 at the turn but they didn't have one in stock and told them I'd e-mail the order tomorrow. Now I'm doubting the club again because of that final tee box. :)

Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#3341 DeNinny

DeNinny

Major Wiener

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:26 AM

Halebopp, on 04 June 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

Your problems sound very familiar to me, the blow-up holes, issues controlling the low point of the stroke etc. I hit the range on Saturday and after hitting two buckets of very questionable wedge shots from around 50-60 yards (a fair share of shanks), I went to check Youtube for some ideas as I wasn't sure what was wrong. The first video I came across was Crossfield's and he said shanked wedge shots are usually from out-to-in path and suggested doing a bit of a loop to get the club back inside. It worked and I was able to figure out the new path without doing the loop. Needless to say, last year my problem was too flat a swing coming too much from the inside. :D

Even so, I was still pulling the wedge shots to the left and I couldn't completely cure my irons of the hooks. We headed out to play today and played the front +2 with a birdie-birdie finish. There's a bit of wind, there's actual warnings as the gusts can be north of 30 mph and on the 9th hole I hit this absolutely perfect approach 5 iron off the deck as it was about 175 to the back of the green and the 5 is around 180 for me. The dead-straight, straight-into-the-wind shot flew almost 145 yards but landed on the green and set up the bird.

Then the tires fell off, I didn't even make a single par on the back nine. :D The shots weren't terrible, just slightly bad and exactly in the wrong places. 5 yards longer, shorter or more to the right or left would've saved a fair share of them. Until the last hole that is where I hit 3 shots OB with the 917 16.5 3 wood set to 18 degrees. The tees are on the side of a hill, about 65 feet above the bottom of the hill, exposed to wind from the left (from where it was blowing hard) and with OB on the right. All three attempts sailed OB with no control whatsoever.

It got me slightly suspicious about the whole club but maybe it was just a one-time thing. I did hit three other good tee shots with it and one decent. Off the deck I hit it well 4 times and only topped one into the water when I was gripping down to take some distance off. Otherwise no fats or tops or overly off line shots.

I was already buying the 16.5 at the turn but they didn't have one in stock and told them I'd e-mail the order tomorrow. Now I'm doubting the club again because of that final tee box. :)

If you think about the size of the ball, how far away it is from the body, and that the leading edge of the club has to "fit" somewhere between the ground and equator of the ball while also having a consistent path and face angle, the physics of a consistent swing becomes a very precise and exacting task.  It really isn't that "easy" and a lot can go wrong.

And for me, like with all golfers, finding and fixing my inconsistencies has been a saga of trial and error over years, only to be accelerated and truly improved by my application and understanding of physics.

For example 5+ years ago, I fixed my swing plane issue of it being too flat and low through trial and error and the advice of my club pro.  This was before I understood the physics of why it was too low and flat and why it is technically bad.

And by contrast, now that I understand the ideal swing physics better, I fixed my footwork and balance issues and also my wrists hinge issues through detailed troubleshooting and application of physics over the last year.  I now see and understand causes and effects of swing and equipment changes much better.  All those variables tied to the swing make much more sense to me, and the trial an error to get better has become a more streamlined process.  But it still takes the body to execute what's on my mind and this, in and of itself, is also a challenge.

And as to clubs and the variation they bring to the swing, for me luckily I have pretty much fixed that variable.  I have engineered my bag to the point now that I'm chasing comfort like all leather grips in everything rather than what to use.  I have already incorporated the best technology as possible in all my clubs using physics so now I have pretty much set it, and I am only tweaking things for comfort and minor technical improvement.  LOL my understanding of the physics always brings me back to a swing issue and not an equipment one.

Registered Bladeocrat

#3342 dan360

dan360

Paisano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:57 AM

My left arm got a teenie cut on it somehow, maybe a bug bite, dunno.   Non-injury until it erupted into a massive bacterial infection. The perks of traveling all over I suppose.

IV antibiotics, hospital stay, orthoscopic(sp?) surgery, and pain, pain, and more pain.   good gravy.

No fun
As of 26APR2018

#3343 DeNinny

DeNinny

Major Wiener

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

dan360 that sucks.  Keep your sh*t clean.

Shot 37-42 last Sunday with a quad on a par 3 and a few other stupid mistakes.  It could have been a career round.  Had 12 GIRs and 2 birdies.  

My game is coming around.  (I *think*.)  Time will tell...

Registered Bladeocrat

#3344 dan360

dan360

Paisano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

DeNinny, on 10 June 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

dan360 that sucks.  Keep your sh*t clean.

Shot 37-42 last Sunday with a quad on a par 3 and a few other stupid mistakes.  It could have been a career round.  Had 12 GIRs and 2 birdies.  

My game is coming around.  (I *think*.)  Time will tell...

Yessir the doc says all humans have about a 1 in 14,000,000 chance of staph entry into a wound of any size.   We all carry it on our bodies but up here in the PNW it's all over the environment as well.  

This one was MRSA.    I've had intestinal parasites in 3rd world countries that didn't hurt as bad as this stuff does/did.  

Coming around now--I heal quick.  Hit balls this morning at the range.   Tee'd up only though.
As of 26APR2018

#3345 Halebopp

Halebopp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:17 PM

Hope you're fine by now, dan!

A confession: I had a Tin Cup moment on Wednesday. We had nothing to do during the pro-ams in the tournament I'm working in as a rules official, I asked if I could use the range and the staff said it's ok. Set myself up trying to stay clear of the pros practicing. Everything was going well until I started hitting some wedges. Shank city, here we come! Who hit that shot? I had to skip the wedges and go back to full swing to avoid any further embarrassment. :D

The wind picked up today and with dry, hard fairways it was ridiculous to watch the longest guys hitting 360-yard drives on certain holes. 300 yards was fairly common. The worst of all, they make it look so unbelievably easy.

Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

#3346 DeNinny

DeNinny

Major Wiener

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:02 PM

Halebopp if my range game was an indicator of my actual skill level I would be both a scratch golfer and a hack that can't break 120 at the same session.  It varies so much because I treat it like a swing lab, a place where I experiment a lot.  Shanks are a common occurrence but then again so is going on a 10 ball run of striping pure shots.

I can't wait until Sunday.  My fitter is reshafting a TEE CB2 3w and 5w for me and also cutting both my putters down to 33" and putting leather grips on them.  He should be done by Sunday.  The CB2s are getting an upgrade to Fujikura Motore F1 stiff flex shafts with kangaroo leather grips and also my two putters, a Piretti Bosa and an Odyssey Tri-Hot #1, are also getting kangaroo leather grips.  It will be my first time with leather putter grips.  Can't wait to try them out.

Edited by DeNinny, 15 June 2018 - 08:03 PM.

Registered Bladeocrat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors