Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

An Explosee of Mindnumbness

3355 replies to this topic

#3331 dan360

dan360

    Paisano

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
  • Joined: 12/13/2005
  • Location:Olympia lowlife...
GolfWRX Likes : 6263

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:56 PM

View PostHalebopp, on 20 May 2018 - 01:11 PM, said:

What sort of lady garment is there beneath the Miuras? :D

Funnily enough, I took my MP-4s out for the first time this year and I shot by far my season-best 81, +10. Two birdies and a third one was close rolling over the hole but bouncing out from the back of the hole.

I can't say it was down to the irons though as I kept hitting them slightly thin. The shafts are very different in feel (105 grams vs counter-balanced, 120 grams) and I couldn't get it exactly right yet. The ones I did get right felt so, so sweet though.

I had puta couple of for sale posts online about my MP-650 fairway woods  but they got a chance today and boy did they deliver.  Another round like that and I'm not sure if upgrading is worth it even though the 917 is better.

As for confessions, I confess I put a safe lay-up shot with a PW into a water hazard. :D Also, I can barely walk at the moment. I decided to go jogging on Friday evening and ended up doing a 21 km run (a half marathon but I hate the term). I could barely walk on Saturday, today was better but downhills were still a struggle. I could've not gone jogging on Friday and played even three rounds over the weekend but stupid is what stupid does. :)

I can't even READ the words "half marathon" without feeling it.   Yikes.  

MP-650 woods are great clubs.

As of 29JUL2018

TaylorMade M1 '17 440 9° HZRDUS Yellow
TaylorMade M1 '17 3HL KuroKage
Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron Modus 120
Miura Baby Blades  3-PW Steelfiber 110 +.5 2 flat
Mizuno MP-T10 54(bent to 52)/60 DGW  +.5 1 flat
PING Anser Jim Wells tour 36"
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
OUUL h2oProof stand bag black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#3332 Halebopp

Halebopp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
  • Joined: 06/06/2012
  • Location:Tampere, Finland
GolfWRX Likes : 1307

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

View Postdan360, on 21 May 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:


I can't even READ the words "half marathon" without feeling it.   Yikes.  

MP-650 woods are great clubs.

I wouldn't be able to run a marathon if I tried so the 21 is close to my maximum, at least without anything to eat and drink on the way. Of course, the idiot in me is inevitably going to try 30 km one day.

The 650s are definitely good clubs but the shafts are probably a bit too whippy for me.
D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5º, Orochi Red Stiff
4W: Titleist 917 F2, 16.5º, Speeder Pro 84 TS Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

2

#3333 BIG STU

BIG STU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Garden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 27023

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:46 AM

View PostHalebopp, on 22 May 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

View Postdan360, on 21 May 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

I can't even READ the words "half marathon" without feeling it.   Yikes.  

MP-650 woods are great clubs.

I wouldn't be able to run a marathon if I tried so the 21 is close to my maximum, at least without anything to eat and drink on the way. Of course, the idiot in me is inevitably going to try 30 km one day.

The 650s are definitely good clubs but the shafts are probably a bit too whippy for me.
Down here some of these yuppies run around with the little circular signs that read like 5.5 etc on their shiny SUVs I am the counter culture I have one that says 0.0 :taunt: . Actually had some yuppie confront me on that basically said my fat a** needs to run. I told him I might not can run 5.5 or what ever but bet $1000 I could whip his butt :stink:  But seriously if that is what you like to do and enjoying doing it well my hat is off to you.
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
5 Wood TM V- Steel 18* Pro Launch Blue
Hybrid Adams Peanut 22*  Pro Launch Red
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore
LW  Cleveland 588 60* DG Sensicore custom sole Scratch EGG style
Putter- 1985 PGA Tommy Armour Ironmaster
Bag-- Original Ping Hoofer or Vintage Titleist Mini Staff
Vintage-- Too many variables to list and I get tired of updating this thing!
Founding Father of the Outlaw golf Association Member #1--Screw the USGA play what you want to
Home of Redneck Hippie golf where When The Tailgate Drops The BS Stop

3

#3334 Halebopp

Halebopp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
  • Joined: 06/06/2012
  • Location:Tampere, Finland
GolfWRX Likes : 1307

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

View PostBIG STU, on 26 May 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

View PostHalebopp, on 22 May 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

View Postdan360, on 21 May 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

I can't even READ the words "half marathon" without feeling it.   Yikes.  

MP-650 woods are great clubs.

I wouldn't be able to run a marathon if I tried so the 21 is close to my maximum, at least without anything to eat and drink on the way. Of course, the idiot in me is inevitably going to try 30 km one day.

The 650s are definitely good clubs but the shafts are probably a bit too whippy for me.
Down here some of these yuppies run around with the little circular signs that read like 5.5 etc on their shiny SUVs I am the counter culture I have one that says 0.0 :taunt: . Actually had some yuppie confront me on that basically said my fat a** needs to run. I told him I might not can run 5.5 or what ever but bet $1000 I could whip his butt :stink:  But seriously if that is what you like to do and enjoying doing it well my hat is off to you.

I like cross-country skiing but I'm not a big fan of cycling and jogging. Either I get the idea to go out and after that it's just determination to go a certain distance. I just feel the need to do that stuff to stay in some kind of condition and to be able to do things the older I get. Some years ago it was a bit of an eye-opener when I witnessed how quickly my grandfather went from a strong (not farm and steel mill strong but strong) man to the fragile state in the end.

It's better to make a habit out of exercising now before it's too late. As a kid I wasn't very good at sports and gym at school and PT in the military made me hate sports. Considering that, I've certainly found some joy in going out on my own.

Edited by Halebopp, 26 May 2018 - 04:45 PM.

D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5º, Orochi Red Stiff
4W: Titleist 917 F2, 16.5º, Speeder Pro 84 TS Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

4

#3335 DeNinny

DeNinny

    Major Wiener

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21391
  • Joined: 11/05/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 18631

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:28 PM

View PostHalebopp, on 26 May 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

View PostBIG STU, on 26 May 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

View PostHalebopp, on 22 May 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

View Postdan360, on 21 May 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

I can't even READ the words "half marathon" without feeling it.   Yikes.  

MP-650 woods are great clubs.

I wouldn't be able to run a marathon if I tried so the 21 is close to my maximum, at least without anything to eat and drink on the way. Of course, the idiot in me is inevitably going to try 30 km one day.

The 650s are definitely good clubs but the shafts are probably a bit too whippy for me.
Down here some of these yuppies run around with the little circular signs that read like 5.5 etc on their shiny SUVs I am the counter culture I have one that says 0.0 :taunt: . Actually had some yuppie confront me on that basically said my fat a** needs to run. I told him I might not can run 5.5 or what ever but bet $1000 I could whip his butt :stink:  But seriously if that is what you like to do and enjoying doing it well my hat is off to you.

I like cross-country skiing but I'm not a big fan of cycling and jogging. Either I get the idea to go out and after that it's just determination to go a certain distance. I just feel the need to do that stuff to stay in some kind of condition and to be able to do things the older I get. Some years ago it was a bit of an eye-opener when I witnessed how quickly my grandfather went from a strong (not farm and steel mill strong but strong) man to the fragile state in the end.

It's better to make a habit out of exercising now before it's too late. As a kid I wasn't very good at sports and gym at school and PT in the military made me hate sports. Considering that, I've certainly found some joy in going out on my own.

TEE CB4 10* Driver, Fujikura Speeder 652 R-flex
TEE CB2 13* 3w, 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 18* 5w, 21* 7w, 65g Fujikura Motore F1 R-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, Iomic Absolute X

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

5

#3336 Halebopp

Halebopp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
  • Joined: 06/06/2012
  • Location:Tampere, Finland
GolfWRX Likes : 1307

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:24 AM

A couple of pro-like moments for me lately. I got a note in the mail telling me I had a package from our golf union waiting to be picked up. There were a couple of polo shirts, a cap, winter mittens and a very nice, water-proof jacket equipped with the union logos and "Rules" imprint on the sleeves. It's a bit of a shame they didn't send any pants though, I wouldn't like to go Donald Duck while officiating. :)

Secondly, a bit of a brag, I hit the longest drive I've ever hit on Sunday. GPS measured exactly 310 meters, or 339 yards. I had about 150 yards left to the middle of a top-of-a-hill green on a par 5 with wind blowing behind my back. The confession? I decided to go for a smooth 8 iron rather than a full-out 9 iron but I didn't hit it smoothly, I hit it lazily and fat and ended up with an easy par. :D

For the past couple of years we've barely had dry fairways but with three weeks of "heat wave" (20-27ºC, 68-80F, we didn't crack 77F once all of last year), we're actually getting some hard fairways and balls actually leap forward, not simply plugging (and bouncing backwards) or rolling a feet or two.

Still struggling a bit with the MP-4s, trying to find the balance with hooks and pushes to the right but it's about the differences in the shafts. I also put new grips on the 650s, built them up with 2-3 extra layers of tape but didn't insert any counter-balance weights. Maybe the bigger grip will give a bit more of control and feel.
D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5º, Orochi Red Stiff
4W: Titleist 917 F2, 16.5º, Speeder Pro 84 TS Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

6

#3337 DeNinny

DeNinny

    Major Wiener

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21391
  • Joined: 11/05/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 18631

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

Nice update Halebopp.  A 339 yd drive earns you WRX "average" drive status.  

On Saturday I had my first eagle on a par 4.  180yds to a tight pin at the front of the green.  My ball was in the rough with an uphill lie and above my feet.  Hit a 3i (baby blade, baby!).  Nutted it pure and straight at the flag.  The ball landed 5 yds in front of the green, bounced to the fringe and rolled straight into the cup.  I was playing with a few WRXers and WishIPlayedMore just about tackled me in a congratulatory hug.  It was probably the finest shot I've ever hit.  

And I still only shot 87.  Too many triples (1-3 per round) has been killing me lately.  Short game is still struggling.  Sunday was a little better with an 85 in howling afternoon winds.

Edited by DeNinny, 29 May 2018 - 09:47 AM.

TEE CB4 10* Driver, Fujikura Speeder 652 R-flex
TEE CB2 13* 3w, 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 18* 5w, 21* 7w, 65g Fujikura Motore F1 R-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, Iomic Absolute X

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

7

#3338 Halebopp

Halebopp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
  • Joined: 06/06/2012
  • Location:Tampere, Finland
GolfWRX Likes : 1307

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:04 AM

Well done, that's a good distance away to hole out!

I'm still in search of my first eagle on a par 4 and by today's performance, it's a long way away. Hook, hosel eocket, hook, hosel rocket... Even on partial wedge shots. It was a good walk spoiled. I have my work cut out for a range session or two in the very near future.
D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5º, Orochi Red Stiff
4W: Titleist 917 F2, 16.5º, Speeder Pro 84 TS Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

8

#3339 DeNinny

DeNinny

    Major Wiener

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21391
  • Joined: 11/05/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 18631

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:47 PM

Halebopp if I never make a hole-in-one at least I'll have that shot.  The next farthest hole out that I ever had was a 50 yard pitch from the fairway for birdie.

I've been practicing after work more often lately with focus on short game the most and slowly but surely I am getting more confident and more accurate.  I finally think I am going to make some headway on the course because I (confess) that I used plain and simple physics to correct my pitches and chips.  I had been both chunking and skulling shots with my wedges and I had no confidence in the bottom of my swing on any short game shot.  To fix I learned to relax my shoulders and arms better in the swing but more importantly I started making a tighter and slightly more up tempo turn with my hips.  As per one of my swing flaws, my loosely positioned hips and "drift" of them targetwards in the downswing was moving my impact position and finally I figured out that is the same thing that has plagued my full swing.  Hips stability is so key to consistency.  And now after the last few practice sessions I am making really clean contact with the ball and it pops nice off the face on all my chips.

Also with my putting I improved my stroke by bending over at my hips more so my eyes are right over the top of the ball.  Also I sit back and get my butt past being over my heels to counterweight my forward bend.  And now since I'm not standing so close to the ball I can rock my shoulders up and down more consistently and with a straighter stroke and more room for my arms to hang straight down.

I'm engineering my game to get better one variable at a time now and I'm once again loving the game and seeing nothing but improvement down the road because the path is more crystal clear to me than ever.  My ball striking is as good as it ever has been due to detailed technical focus on proper swing mechanics.
It has been to the detriment of my short game but now with my engineering approach to troubleshooting my issues with it I am learning how to correct my own issues.  I confess that I've never been in this space before and I attribute a lot of it to my WRX experience on these boards and being able to type up what I "see" in my mind.  It's been very helpful and a big part of it has been alignment of what I'm saying with fellow WRXers, most of all with other confessors in these threads.
TEE CB4 10* Driver, Fujikura Speeder 652 R-flex
TEE CB2 13* 3w, 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 18* 5w, 21* 7w, 65g Fujikura Motore F1 R-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, Iomic Absolute X

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

9

#3340 Halebopp

Halebopp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
  • Joined: 06/06/2012
  • Location:Tampere, Finland
GolfWRX Likes : 1307

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:12 PM

Your problems sound very familiar to me, the blow-up holes, issues controlling the low point of the stroke etc. I hit the range on Saturday and after hitting two buckets of very questionable wedge shots from around 50-60 yards (a fair share of shanks), I went to check Youtube for some ideas as I wasn't sure what was wrong. The first video I came across was Crossfield's and he said shanked wedge shots are usually from out-to-in path and suggested doing a bit of a loop to get the club back inside. It worked and I was able to figure out the new path without doing the loop. Needless to say, last year my problem was too flat a swing coming too much from the inside. :D

Even so, I was still pulling the wedge shots to the left and I couldn't completely cure my irons of the hooks. We headed out to play today and played the front +2 with a birdie-birdie finish. There's a bit of wind, there's actual warnings as the gusts can be north of 30 mph and on the 9th hole I hit this absolutely perfect approach 5 iron off the deck as it was about 175 to the back of the green and the 5 is around 180 for me. The dead-straight, straight-into-the-wind shot flew almost 145 yards but landed on the green and set up the bird.

Then the tires fell off, I didn't even make a single par on the back nine. :D The shots weren't terrible, just slightly bad and exactly in the wrong places. 5 yards longer, shorter or more to the right or left would've saved a fair share of them. Until the last hole that is where I hit 3 shots OB with the 917 16.5 3 wood set to 18 degrees. The tees are on the side of a hill, about 65 feet above the bottom of the hill, exposed to wind from the left (from where it was blowing hard) and with OB on the right. All three attempts sailed OB with no control whatsoever.

It got me slightly suspicious about the whole club but maybe it was just a one-time thing. I did hit three other good tee shots with it and one decent. Off the deck I hit it well 4 times and only topped one into the water when I was gripping down to take some distance off. Otherwise no fats or tops or overly off line shots.

I was already buying the 16.5 at the turn but they didn't have one in stock and told them I'd e-mail the order tomorrow. Now I'm doubting the club again because of that final tee box. :)

D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5º, Orochi Red Stiff
4W: Titleist 917 F2, 16.5º, Speeder Pro 84 TS Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#3341 DeNinny

DeNinny

    Major Wiener

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21391
  • Joined: 11/05/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 18631

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:26 AM

View PostHalebopp, on 04 June 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

Your problems sound very familiar to me, the blow-up holes, issues controlling the low point of the stroke etc. I hit the range on Saturday and after hitting two buckets of very questionable wedge shots from around 50-60 yards (a fair share of shanks), I went to check Youtube for some ideas as I wasn't sure what was wrong. The first video I came across was Crossfield's and he said shanked wedge shots are usually from out-to-in path and suggested doing a bit of a loop to get the club back inside. It worked and I was able to figure out the new path without doing the loop. Needless to say, last year my problem was too flat a swing coming too much from the inside. :D

Even so, I was still pulling the wedge shots to the left and I couldn't completely cure my irons of the hooks. We headed out to play today and played the front +2 with a birdie-birdie finish. There's a bit of wind, there's actual warnings as the gusts can be north of 30 mph and on the 9th hole I hit this absolutely perfect approach 5 iron off the deck as it was about 175 to the back of the green and the 5 is around 180 for me. The dead-straight, straight-into-the-wind shot flew almost 145 yards but landed on the green and set up the bird.

Then the tires fell off, I didn't even make a single par on the back nine. :D The shots weren't terrible, just slightly bad and exactly in the wrong places. 5 yards longer, shorter or more to the right or left would've saved a fair share of them. Until the last hole that is where I hit 3 shots OB with the 917 16.5 3 wood set to 18 degrees. The tees are on the side of a hill, about 65 feet above the bottom of the hill, exposed to wind from the left (from where it was blowing hard) and with OB on the right. All three attempts sailed OB with no control whatsoever.

It got me slightly suspicious about the whole club but maybe it was just a one-time thing. I did hit three other good tee shots with it and one decent. Off the deck I hit it well 4 times and only topped one into the water when I was gripping down to take some distance off. Otherwise no fats or tops or overly off line shots.

I was already buying the 16.5 at the turn but they didn't have one in stock and told them I'd e-mail the order tomorrow. Now I'm doubting the club again because of that final tee box. :)

If you think about the size of the ball, how far away it is from the body, and that the leading edge of the club has to "fit" somewhere between the ground and equator of the ball while also having a consistent path and face angle, the physics of a consistent swing becomes a very precise and exacting task.  It really isn't that "easy" and a lot can go wrong.

And for me, like with all golfers, finding and fixing my inconsistencies has been a saga of trial and error over years, only to be accelerated and truly improved by my application and understanding of physics.

For example 5+ years ago, I fixed my swing plane issue of it being too flat and low through trial and error and the advice of my club pro.  This was before I understood the physics of why it was too low and flat and why it is technically bad.

And by contrast, now that I understand the ideal swing physics better, I fixed my footwork and balance issues and also my wrists hinge issues through detailed troubleshooting and application of physics over the last year.  I now see and understand causes and effects of swing and equipment changes much better.  All those variables tied to the swing make much more sense to me, and the trial an error to get better has become a more streamlined process.  But it still takes the body to execute what's on my mind and this, in and of itself, is also a challenge.

And as to clubs and the variation they bring to the swing, for me luckily I have pretty much fixed that variable.  I have engineered my bag to the point now that I'm chasing comfort like all leather grips in everything rather than what to use.  I have already incorporated the best technology as possible in all my clubs using physics so now I have pretty much set it, and I am only tweaking things for comfort and minor technical improvement.  LOL my understanding of the physics always brings me back to a swing issue and not an equipment one.
TEE CB4 10* Driver, Fujikura Speeder 652 R-flex
TEE CB2 13* 3w, 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 18* 5w, 21* 7w, 65g Fujikura Motore F1 R-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, Iomic Absolute X

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

11

#3342 dan360

dan360

    Paisano

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
  • Joined: 12/13/2005
  • Location:Olympia lowlife...
GolfWRX Likes : 6263

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:57 AM

My left arm got a teenie cut on it somehow, maybe a bug bite, dunno.   Non-injury until it erupted into a massive bacterial infection. The perks of traveling all over I suppose.

IV antibiotics, hospital stay, orthoscopic(sp?) surgery, and pain, pain, and more pain.   good gravy.

No fun
As of 29JUL2018

TaylorMade M1 '17 440 9° HZRDUS Yellow
TaylorMade M1 '17 3HL KuroKage
Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron Modus 120
Miura Baby Blades  3-PW Steelfiber 110 +.5 2 flat
Mizuno MP-T10 54(bent to 52)/60 DGW  +.5 1 flat
PING Anser Jim Wells tour 36"
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
OUUL h2oProof stand bag black

12

#3343 DeNinny

DeNinny

    Major Wiener

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21391
  • Joined: 11/05/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 18631

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

dan360 that sucks.  Keep your sh*t clean.

Shot 37-42 last Sunday with a quad on a par 3 and a few other stupid mistakes.  It could have been a career round.  Had 12 GIRs and 2 birdies.  

My game is coming around.  (I *think*.)  Time will tell...
TEE CB4 10* Driver, Fujikura Speeder 652 R-flex
TEE CB2 13* 3w, 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 18* 5w, 21* 7w, 65g Fujikura Motore F1 R-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, Iomic Absolute X

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

13

#3344 dan360

dan360

    Paisano

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
  • Joined: 12/13/2005
  • Location:Olympia lowlife...
GolfWRX Likes : 6263

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

View PostDeNinny, on 10 June 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

dan360 that sucks.  Keep your sh*t clean.

Shot 37-42 last Sunday with a quad on a par 3 and a few other stupid mistakes.  It could have been a career round.  Had 12 GIRs and 2 birdies.  

My game is coming around.  (I *think*.)  Time will tell...

Yessir the doc says all humans have about a 1 in 14,000,000 chance of staph entry into a wound of any size.   We all carry it on our bodies but up here in the PNW it's all over the environment as well.  

This one was MRSA.    I've had intestinal parasites in 3rd world countries that didn't hurt as bad as this stuff does/did.  

Coming around now--I heal quick.  Hit balls this morning at the range.   Tee'd up only though.
As of 29JUL2018

TaylorMade M1 '17 440 9° HZRDUS Yellow
TaylorMade M1 '17 3HL KuroKage
Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron Modus 120
Miura Baby Blades  3-PW Steelfiber 110 +.5 2 flat
Mizuno MP-T10 54(bent to 52)/60 DGW  +.5 1 flat
PING Anser Jim Wells tour 36"
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
OUUL h2oProof stand bag black

14

#3345 Halebopp

Halebopp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
  • Joined: 06/06/2012
  • Location:Tampere, Finland
GolfWRX Likes : 1307

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:17 PM

Hope you're fine by now, dan!

A confession: I had a Tin Cup moment on Wednesday. We had nothing to do during the pro-ams in the tournament I'm working in as a rules official, I asked if I could use the range and the staff said it's ok. Set myself up trying to stay clear of the pros practicing. Everything was going well until I started hitting some wedges. Shank city, here we come! Who hit that shot? I had to skip the wedges and go back to full swing to avoid any further embarrassment. :D

The wind picked up today and with dry, hard fairways it was ridiculous to watch the longest guys hitting 360-yard drives on certain holes. 300 yards was fairly common. The worst of all, they make it look so unbelievably easy.

D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5º, Orochi Red Stiff
4W: Titleist 917 F2, 16.5º, Speeder Pro 84 TS Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

15

#3346 DeNinny

DeNinny

    Major Wiener

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21391
  • Joined: 11/05/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 18631

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:02 PM

Halebopp if my range game was an indicator of my actual skill level I would be both a scratch golfer and a hack that can't break 120 at the same session.  It varies so much because I treat it like a swing lab, a place where I experiment a lot.  Shanks are a common occurrence but then again so is going on a 10 ball run of striping pure shots.

I can't wait until Sunday.  My fitter is reshafting a TEE CB2 3w and 5w for me and also cutting both my putters down to 33" and putting leather grips on them.  He should be done by Sunday.  The CB2s are getting an upgrade to Fujikura Motore F1 stiff flex shafts with kangaroo leather grips and also my two putters, a Piretti Bosa and an Odyssey Tri-Hot #1, are also getting kangaroo leather grips.  It will be my first time with leather putter grips.  Can't wait to try them out.

Edited by DeNinny, 15 June 2018 - 08:03 PM.

TEE CB4 10* Driver, Fujikura Speeder 652 R-flex
TEE CB2 13* 3w, 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 18* 5w, 21* 7w, 65g Fujikura Motore F1 R-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, Iomic Absolute X

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

16

#3347 Halebopp

Halebopp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
  • Joined: 06/06/2012
  • Location:Tampere, Finland
GolfWRX Likes : 1307

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:32 AM

I played the tournament course on Saturday after the tournament had finished. Pretty much 7000 yards from the back tees and greens comparable to Challenge Tour, or even European Tour events (according to the winner Kim Koivu, who's won on Challenge Tour this year and played some ET events). An LET pro said to me the greens and pin positions were possibly even more difficult than what they usually have.

The distance wasn't an issue as the fairways were hard, best drives closing in on 300 yards off the tee with a little bit of help from the wind and around 260 coming the other way, the 3 iron was good for around 235 off the tee and off the deck. For comparison, we played at my home club yesterday and I was hitting the driver as well as I had done the day before but the absolutely crushed drives went about 260.

The circus show started on the greens though, the couple I played with quit at the turn. I've played on some fast greens before but these were FAST, throw in Sunday pin positions and 4-putting was very easy. It was ridiculous. I did manage to play par/bogey golf for the final 12 holes with the exception of two blow ups due to a bad drive and a bladed green-side bunker shot.

Edited by Halebopp, 18 June 2018 - 08:34 AM.

D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5º, Orochi Red Stiff
4W: Titleist 917 F2, 16.5º, Speeder Pro 84 TS Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

17

#3348 Papa Johick

Papa Johick

    My Girl Duffners

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205685
  • Joined: 10/03/2012
  • Location:Charleston, SC
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 6123

Posted 26 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

hello all!

Dan sorry to hear about the MRSA. Nasty stuff. Run into it somewhat often in my line of work and it can suck for many. Glad you got taken care of though and hopefully heal fully soon,

Good job Ninja! hope it continues

Bopp, would be pretty cool to warm up on the same range though haha.

I think I mentioned it in here when I did it, but I broke 80 for the first time just before the new years, well since then I have had a pretty decent game going until the last month or so. the last 2 weeks though have been very good. ball striking on point, distance with driver getting better, and all because I decided to take one or two things I have been working on, and integrating it into my natural swing. Haven't gone back to full on hunched over arms hanging, but I did back away a tad (except when Im trying to draw the ball), and I went back to a more flatish swing sorta like Fowler. Club speed is up to about 100 with driver :)

I shot 79 again about 2 weeks ago on the same course I broke 80 on the first time. well i had my annual marathon day of golf this week on the solstice, and out the gate on a course back home, I freaking played my tail off and shot 77 (and left a few easy strokes out there from mental mishaps). Funny thing was, this 77 seemed light years better than the 79s. I hit 60-70% of my FIR and I hit 13/18 greens!!! Most i have ever hit before then was like 9 haha. I felt in control of my swing and my game. it was an awesome feeling.
Thanks to Cobra and GolfWRX

Driver: F8+ Volition Tensei Blue 70S
3W: F8 Tensei Blue 60S
6W: F8 Tensei Blue 60S
Driving Iron: OL Utility 18* KBS Proto Stiff
Hybrid: F8 OL 4H Recoil 780 Smacwrap
Irons: Forged Tec Black OL 6 Recoil 780 Smacwrap Stiff
   Forged Tec Black 7-PW Recoil 780 Smacwrap Stiff
Wedges: Black 50* Versatile
Black 56* Versatile
Black 60* Wide Low

18

#3349 DeNinny

DeNinny

    Major Wiener

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21391
  • Joined: 11/05/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 18631

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:27 PM

Pappy J-Dub breaking 80 more than once is a good trend.  Really cool to hear and that you have a solid correlation with your swing changes.  

I'm in a similar space with my game too.  In the past I broke 80 from what I would call luck and short game "hot streaks".  Now I do it through simply more consistent ball striking and only a decent but not luck ridden short game.  I keep feeling that the day I get hot with my short game is the day I will have a career low because I'm now confident my ball striking is going to be there on a more regular basis.  Now it's a matter of all facets of my game coming together.  And yeah it feels good to have this confidence about my swing.  I feel closer to "owning" it than I ever have and a lot of it has to do with understanding all of the causes and effects.  I am truly able now to correct issues in the middle of the round and don't feel lost about exactly what I need to do.  And it is a really good place to be.

Specifically right now I have really been refining a consistent wrists hinge at the top and how those specifics work in conjunction with my grip.  And I'm talking dirty details here that I never thought about to that level before.  I've come to the (LOL slow) realization that the importance of the grip is really tied to how one hinges the wrists and moreover how one unhinges the wrists coming into impact.  It's an integral part of squaring the clubhead at impact and only now after having fixed other issues like my legs stability I am realizing this.

And to your point about flattening your own swing to help it I fully agree it is very important to find an optimal and consistent swing plane angle.  The club and arms form a total mass that has to orbit the body on a consistent 'plane' where that total mass must be balanced throughout the orbit.  And so to me a golfer has to find this orbit plane and when it is right and optimal his swing becomes more powerful and consistent.  It sounds like you are finding that optimal plane for your own swing and yes over time and improved ball striking the set of that plane will become natural to you.

And outside of my technical improvements to my swing I am mentally trying to maintain a bit of emotional separation and almost an aloof attitude towards every shot.  It's a combination of having confidence and positivity but at the same time having only a distant care of whatever the outcome will be.  In the past I think I would stress more about executing perfectly to the point that it didn't help.  

And on top of all this I just love, love, love my bag now.  Of course my #1 love is my baby blades.  After a full season with my black borons I have adjusted to their distances, and wow bar none they are they the most consistent, best feeling, and easiest to hit clubs that I have ever played.  They truly are amazing clubs.  Best.  Clubs.  Ever.  But not to be left out I love both my TEE 3w's, my Miura black wedges (I confess I am an utter Miura fan boi now), and last but not least my Piretti Bosa.  I had it cut down to 33" and put a kangaroo leather midsize pistol grip on it and I am loving it.  The butt no longer rubs my loose shirts and jackets during my stroke and I can set my eyes directly over the top of the ball with it.

As far as watching the game and the overall business of it, I confess that I don't give much of a rat's a$$ about any of it anymore.  I didn't watch the US Open and don't plan on following the professional sport anymore.  Also I can't stand seeing golf club advertisements anymore, in any media.  All I care about with this game is playing it with my clubs and my swing as per my own personal engineering of all of it.  And from all this I am a happier, better, and much less confused golfer.

But with all that said I still enjoy hearing how my fellow confessors are doing with their games.

Edited by DeNinny, 26 June 2018 - 10:35 PM.

TEE CB4 10* Driver, Fujikura Speeder 652 R-flex
TEE CB2 13* 3w, 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 18* 5w, 21* 7w, 65g Fujikura Motore F1 R-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, Iomic Absolute X

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

19

#3350 Halebopp

Halebopp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
  • Joined: 06/06/2012
  • Location:Tampere, Finland
GolfWRX Likes : 1307

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:16 PM

Papa, that's some very good golf! Starting to shoot sub-80 rounds more often must give a nice boost of confidence.

Confessions, I'm really, really tired right now. I've been playing for four days straight and had a lesson on Monday, we rebuilt my stance and downswing, backswing wasn't the tough part. Now my shoulders, core and arms are hurting from all the golf and the new moves. The swing is definitely improving, some more repetitions and practice, another lesson and I might be hitting some good scores again.

Another confession, the Evil Empire, also known as TM, has made a fantastic club in the Hi-Toe lob wedge. It looks better than the Callaway PM grind and works much better off the grass for me, out of dry sand it was ridiculously easy. We had a Titleist/TM demo day yesterday and if I were in need of a new lob wedge, I'd definitely get one, even now I might need to really think about it even though it's TM.

I also demoed different shafts for the 917 fairway wood but came to the conclusion the Speeder is the most suitable shaft for me. I used it twice today, the first one came out fat but the second one left me with a long eagle putt.

D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5º, Orochi Red Stiff
4W: Titleist 917 F2, 16.5º, Speeder Pro 84 TS Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#3351 DeNinny

DeNinny

    Major Wiener

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21391
  • Joined: 11/05/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 18631

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:15 AM

The Speeder line was an excellent line of shafts.  My 652 turned me into a Fujikura fan but now I've migrated to the F1 Motore line.
TEE CB4 10* Driver, Fujikura Speeder 652 R-flex
TEE CB2 13* 3w, 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 18* 5w, 21* 7w, 65g Fujikura Motore F1 R-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, Iomic Absolute X

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

21

#3352 dan360

dan360

    Paisano

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
  • Joined: 12/13/2005
  • Location:Olympia lowlife...
GolfWRX Likes : 6263

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:01 PM

Puerto Rico is a hot humid place that smells.    The golf is good though in certain areas.

Finally home for a bit.   Now I gotta get my baby blades done.
As of 29JUL2018

TaylorMade M1 '17 440 9° HZRDUS Yellow
TaylorMade M1 '17 3HL KuroKage
Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron Modus 120
Miura Baby Blades  3-PW Steelfiber 110 +.5 2 flat
Mizuno MP-T10 54(bent to 52)/60 DGW  +.5 1 flat
PING Anser Jim Wells tour 36"
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
OUUL h2oProof stand bag black

22

#3353 Halebopp

Halebopp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
  • Joined: 06/06/2012
  • Location:Tampere, Finland
GolfWRX Likes : 1307

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:34 AM

We are in the middle of a massive heatwave, it's been hot for a while but now it's been north of 30ºC for a couple of days now and my apartment is even warmer. We didn't reach 25ºC even once last year.

Cold showers and swimming are in a premium right now. I did play 27 holes yesterday but gave up as I was hooking the heck out of my irons and started to build up mental fatigue.

I did play my best stretch of golf ever during the first 18 holes when I went birdie, birdie, bogey, birdie, birdie with two short par 4s and a two par 5s. Unfortunately I didn't make even a single par on the final seven holes thanks to my hooky irons (I didn't hit a single green on all the 7 par 3s I played yesterday).

We have a Rules Officials' meeting tomorrow. On Saturday we are assigned to groups as walking officials for the final round of our national stroke play championships. Just like the previous tournament I worked at was during the U.S. Open, I will be missing a couple of days of the Open too but it should be an interesting experience.
D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5º, Orochi Red Stiff
4W: Titleist 917 F2, 16.5º, Speeder Pro 84 TS Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

23

#3354 Halebopp

Halebopp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
  • Joined: 06/06/2012
  • Location:Tampere, Finland
GolfWRX Likes : 1307

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:36 PM

We ended up playing an evening round today. I won the match 7&6, the similarities between the two rounds were amazing, the same hook misses with the irons, yesterday I was +2 after 11, today I was +3 (birdied 10 & 11 on both days) but the only par on the final 7 holes was on the 13th, a par 5 where I didn't need an iron. Combine the rounds and I'm +5 for the first 11 holes and +18 for the last 7 where the missed irons hurt a lot more as the recoveries are more difficult.

Driver is great, the wedges and putter are good but those darn irons, usually the backbone of my game, have gone AWOL, no GIRs on par 3s in the last 12 attempts. :D
D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5º, Orochi Red Stiff
4W: Titleist 917 F2, 16.5º, Speeder Pro 84 TS Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

24

#3355 BIG STU

BIG STU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Garden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 27023

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:51 AM

View PostDeNinny, on 26 June 2018 - 10:27 PM, said:

Pappy J-Dub breaking 80 more than once is a good trend.  Really cool to hear and that you have a solid correlation with your swing changes.  

I'm in a similar space with my game too.  In the past I broke 80 from what I would call luck and short game "hot streaks".  Now I do it through simply more consistent ball striking and only a decent but not luck ridden short game.  I keep feeling that the day I get hot with my short game is the day I will have a career low because I'm now confident my ball striking is going to be there on a more regular basis.  Now it's a matter of all facets of my game coming together.  And yeah it feels good to have this confidence about my swing.  I feel closer to "owning" it than I ever have and a lot of it has to do with understanding all of the causes and effects.  I am truly able now to correct issues in the middle of the round and don't feel lost about exactly what I need to do.  And it is a really good place to be.

Specifically right now I have really been refining a consistent wrists hinge at the top and how those specifics work in conjunction with my grip.  And I'm talking dirty details here that I never thought about to that level before.  I've come to the (LOL slow) realization that the importance of the grip is really tied to how one hinges the wrists and moreover how one unhinges the wrists coming into impact.  It's an integral part of squaring the clubhead at impact and only now after having fixed other issues like my legs stability I am realizing this.

And to your point about flattening your own swing to help it I fully agree it is very important to find an optimal and consistent swing plane angle.  The club and arms form a total mass that has to orbit the body on a consistent 'plane' where that total mass must be balanced throughout the orbit.  And so to me a golfer has to find this orbit plane and when it is right and optimal his swing becomes more powerful and consistent.  It sounds like you are finding that optimal plane for your own swing and yes over time and improved ball striking the set of that plane will become natural to you.

And outside of my technical improvements to my swing I am mentally trying to maintain a bit of emotional separation and almost an aloof attitude towards every shot.  It's a combination of having confidence and positivity but at the same time having only a distant care of whatever the outcome will be.  In the past I think I would stress more about executing perfectly to the point that it didn't help.  

And on top of all this I just love, love, love my bag now.  Of course my #1 love is my baby blades.  After a full season with my black borons I have adjusted to their distances, and wow bar none they are they the most consistent, best feeling, and easiest to hit clubs that I have ever played.  They truly are amazing clubs.  Best.  Clubs.  Ever.  But not to be left out I love both my TEE 3w's, my Miura black wedges (I confess I am an utter Miura fan boi now), and last but not least my Piretti Bosa.  I had it cut down to 33" and put a kangaroo leather midsize pistol grip on it and I am loving it.  The butt no longer rubs my loose shirts and jackets during my stroke and I can set my eyes directly over the top of the ball with it.

As far as watching the game and the overall business of it, I confess that I don't give much of a rat's a$$ about any of it anymore.  I didn't watch the US Open and don't plan on following the professional sport anymore.  Also I can't stand seeing golf club advertisements anymore, in any media.  All I care about with this game is playing it with my clubs and my swing as per my own personal engineering of all of it.  And from all this I am a happier, better, and much less confused golfer.

But with all that said I still enjoy hearing how my fellow confessors are doing with their games.
I have always played my putters at 33" for the exact same reasons you stated. And you have finally seen the light and adopted my philosophy of playing your own game your own way. And yes you are happier and much less confused and better. Remember in an indirect way I know exactly how your mind works. I still watch golf on TV if there is absolutely nothing else to do. Commercials I laugh at. You know seeing the light and knowing makes golf equipment commercials funny to me

Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
5 Wood TM V- Steel 18* Pro Launch Blue
Hybrid Adams Peanut 22*  Pro Launch Red
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore
LW  Cleveland 588 60* DG Sensicore custom sole Scratch EGG style
Putter- 1985 PGA Tommy Armour Ironmaster
Bag-- Original Ping Hoofer or Vintage Titleist Mini Staff
Vintage-- Too many variables to list and I get tired of updating this thing!
Founding Father of the Outlaw golf Association Member #1--Screw the USGA play what you want to
Home of Redneck Hippie golf where When The Tailgate Drops The BS Stop

25

#3356 DeNinny

DeNinny

    Major Wiener

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21391
  • Joined: 11/05/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 18631

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:58 PM

View PostBIG STU, on 21 July 2018 - 05:51 AM, said:

View PostDeNinny, on 26 June 2018 - 10:27 PM, said:

Pappy J-Dub breaking 80 more than once is a good trend.  Really cool to hear and that you have a solid correlation with your swing changes.  

I'm in a similar space with my game too.  In the past I broke 80 from what I would call luck and short game "hot streaks".  Now I do it through simply more consistent ball striking and only a decent but not luck ridden short game.  I keep feeling that the day I get hot with my short game is the day I will have a career low because I'm now confident my ball striking is going to be there on a more regular basis.  Now it's a matter of all facets of my game coming together.  And yeah it feels good to have this confidence about my swing.  I feel closer to "owning" it than I ever have and a lot of it has to do with understanding all of the causes and effects.  I am truly able now to correct issues in the middle of the round and don't feel lost about exactly what I need to do.  And it is a really good place to be.

Specifically right now I have really been refining a consistent wrists hinge at the top and how those specifics work in conjunction with my grip.  And I'm talking dirty details here that I never thought about to that level before.  I've come to the (LOL slow) realization that the importance of the grip is really tied to how one hinges the wrists and moreover how one unhinges the wrists coming into impact.  It's an integral part of squaring the clubhead at impact and only now after having fixed other issues like my legs stability I am realizing this.

And to your point about flattening your own swing to help it I fully agree it is very important to find an optimal and consistent swing plane angle.  The club and arms form a total mass that has to orbit the body on a consistent 'plane' where that total mass must be balanced throughout the orbit.  And so to me a golfer has to find this orbit plane and when it is right and optimal his swing becomes more powerful and consistent.  It sounds like you are finding that optimal plane for your own swing and yes over time and improved ball striking the set of that plane will become natural to you.

And outside of my technical improvements to my swing I am mentally trying to maintain a bit of emotional separation and almost an aloof attitude towards every shot.  It's a combination of having confidence and positivity but at the same time having only a distant care of whatever the outcome will be.  In the past I think I would stress more about executing perfectly to the point that it didn't help.  

And on top of all this I just love, love, love my bag now.  Of course my #1 love is my baby blades.  After a full season with my black borons I have adjusted to their distances, and wow bar none they are they the most consistent, best feeling, and easiest to hit clubs that I have ever played.  They truly are amazing clubs.  Best.  Clubs.  Ever.  But not to be left out I love both my TEE 3w's, my Miura black wedges (I confess I am an utter Miura fan boi now), and last but not least my Piretti Bosa.  I had it cut down to 33" and put a kangaroo leather midsize pistol grip on it and I am loving it.  The butt no longer rubs my loose shirts and jackets during my stroke and I can set my eyes directly over the top of the ball with it.

As far as watching the game and the overall business of it, I confess that I don't give much of a rat's a$$ about any of it anymore.  I didn't watch the US Open and don't plan on following the professional sport anymore.  Also I can't stand seeing golf club advertisements anymore, in any media.  All I care about with this game is playing it with my clubs and my swing as per my own personal engineering of all of it.  And from all this I am a happier, better, and much less confused golfer.

But with all that said I still enjoy hearing how my fellow confessors are doing with their games.
I have always played my putters at 33" for the exact same reasons you stated. And you have finally seen the light and adopted my philosophy of playing your own game your own way. And yes you are happier and much less confused and better. Remember in an indirect way I know exactly how your mind works. I still watch golf on TV if there is absolutely nothing else to do. Commercials I laugh at. You know seeing the light and knowing makes golf equipment commercials funny to me
My friend in my confusion over trying to learn this carney game through commercial channels I have always viewed you as a guiding light and validation from real world experience as what I could only theorize in my mind.  And when I didn't have all the technical pieces exactly as per theory, I always had you to give me confidence that my mind was on the right track.  And I'm talking during times when I was getting trolled hard on WRX.  You were always one of the few that supported me.  I wouldn't have seen all the light without you.  Thx bro.
TEE CB4 10* Driver, Fujikura Speeder 652 R-flex
TEE CB2 13* 3w, 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 18* 5w, 21* 7w, 65g Fujikura Motore F1 R-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, Iomic Absolute X

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

26



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors