Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

An Explosee of Mindnumbness

3191 replies to this topic

#3181 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,906 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 11026

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:48 PM

Halebopp I used to live in the Arctic tundra of Leadville, Colorado, USA.  At over 3200 meters of elevation there's not much of a golfing season.  I very much enjoyed XC skiing while there was snow on the ground.  What do you do outside during the colder months?

Wedges arrived today.  During the build it seems the pulls I bought may have been tip trimmed.  They seat okay, so I'm assuming it isn't more than the 3/8's of an inch recommended, but I wasn't real pleased.  I'll clean the ferrules up and mount the grips then post some photos.  Curious how the raw will spin... will report back!

Put my old TiNi into the Epic SZ and feel I may have picked up a few yards.  Am experiencing a bit of burnout.  Totally crumbled in a round on Sunday.  Started rough with 4 bogies, then I rallied for back to back birdies to finish the front 2 over, but really fell apart on the back nine.  Felt tired and uninspired like I was just surviving.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#3182 Halebopp

Halebopp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
GolfWRX Likes : 987

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:58 AM

View PostMatt J, on 24 October 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

Halebopp I used to live in the Arctic tundra of Leadville, Colorado, USA.  At over 3200 meters of elevation there's not much of a golfing season.  I very much enjoyed XC skiing while there was snow on the ground.  What do you do outside during the colder months?

I'm just reading one Finnish golf media's recap of the 2017 season headlined "The shortest season in years" and it continues, "The summer of 2017 will be remembered for its very difficult spring, cold summer and early course closure." :D

I have to admit I'm not a huge outdoors person in the wintertime. It's dark for most of the time and the past couple of years we haven't even had much snow, maybe 3 inches at best in December, January and a bit more later on as it's been too warm. Imagine it's 35F, dark, raining and ground covered in ice. It's just not fun to be outdoors! Despite the fact my hometown is slightly further up north than Anchorage, we don't get more than 6-8 inches of snow on average as the Norwegian "mountain range" takes most of the hit. That'll probably change soon though as the north pole is getting warmer and warmer weakening the gulf stream, which in turn will lead to the Siberian climate taking over.

I do enjoy cross country skiing myself but the past winters have been awful. With the temperatures staying around 32 F the snow melts or it just rains, which then freezes. Thus we don't get enough snow for all the ski tracks  and I have no interest in injuring myself on icy tracks. The city does keep some tracks in good condition by trucking in snow or by using artificial snow but those places tend to be awfully crowded and thus not as much fun. Downhill skiing downright scares me, I'm not a fan of the bigger hills even when doing cross country.

The lack of snow also limits some other activities and the general desire to spend time outdoors. If skiing isn't an option, I do go jogging (shoes with built-in spikes are awesome) and two years back I was still cycling on Christmas week as there wasn't any snow or ice.

Thus, I spend time at the gym and indoors but when we do get nice winter days, I do like spending time outside. It really is beautiful when we do get a proper winter.

Spending more time here on WRX might not be a good idea as I ended up in Tour Talk yesterday and I can't believe some of the things going on there...

Edited by Halebopp, 25 October 2017 - 08:00 AM.

D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5*, Orochi Red Stiff
3&5W: Mizuno MP-650, 15*, 18*, Orochi Red Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

#3183 BIG STU

BIG STU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 22271

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:46 AM

View PostPigems, on 07 October 2017 - 05:41 AM, said:

View PostMatt J, on 07 October 2017 - 05:23 AM, said:

It's pretty beat up, but no plan to restore.  I'm getting more used to patina and chatter.

I like chattered, patinad, beat up clubs, it's just character in my books, battle scars even. I like cleanish faces but the rest can be beat and I'm cool with it, I like to think of them as clubs that are battle tested veterans that can be truly trusted instead rookies on their first tour of duty :)
LOL seems like I have a habit of rubbing off on people as in you and Matt--- Have been browsing and see you like the patina battle scarred clubs and use lead tape to cover the sound slot in an Anser and to cover up sight lines on a Scotty--- Right up my alley now if I could just get you guys to play off the proper side of the ball :rolleyes:
Driver: Titleist 915 D-2 Mitsubishi Diamana 65 R
3 Wood Adams Super S 15* Bassara Regular flex
Hybrid - TM Rescue Mid 19* Pro Launch Blue
Hybrid- TM Rescue Mid 22* Stock TM Tip Stiff
2 iron 1999 Hogan Apex " Canadian Special" 19* S-300 Stock Tip Butt cut only ( yes a real Hogan Apex)
Irons -- 5 thru PW 2013 Callaway Forged X Rifle 5.5 PXI
GW Callaway BECU 50* S-300 hard tipped 1x
SW Callaway PM 56* FST wedge stock named "Mickey"

Putter - Scotty Santa Fe 1997 vintage rusty as heck nicknamed "Rusty"
Bag Old School TEE 3.5 stand

Founding Father of the Outlaw Golf Association Member #1 To heck with the USGA
Redneck Hippie Golf-- When the tailgate drops the BS stops

#3184 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,906 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

I think every club in my bad has lead tape right now.  I'm actually going to start really building clubs with tip weights, so they'll look a little better.  My gap wedge has 25 grams of tape on it and looks super ghetto.  The raw head experiment was a little of a bust.  Too much weight lost for the lighter shafts.  Shafts we're weird too.  Don't think I'm buying any more pulls.  Probably going to go u to the 125 gram Steelfibers so my swing weight can stay high without so much weight.

#3185 BIG STU

BIG STU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:57 PM

View PostMatt J, on 28 October 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

I think every club in my bad has lead tape right now.  I'm actually going to start really building clubs with tip weights, so they'll look a little better.  My gap wedge has 25 grams of tape on it and looks super ghetto.  The raw head experiment was a little of a bust.  Too much weight lost for the lighter shafts.  Shafts we're weird too.  Don't think I'm buying any more pulls.  Probably going to go u to the 125 gram Steelfibers so my swing weight can stay high without so much weight.
Heck I have it all over the PM wedge on the back where they have the holes drilled. I was going to melt some small lead sinkers and fill the holes in but I got it hitting so good with where I have the lead tape at now I am scared to mess with it.
A lot of times with pull shafts you do not know what they came out of or how they were tipped. Different heads frequency out different depending where the COG is.

Edited by BIG STU, 28 October 2017 - 04:01 PM.

2 iron 1999 Hogan Apex " Canadian Special" 19* S-300 Stock Tip Butt cut only ( yes a real Hogan Apex)

#3186 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,906 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

These were tipped too much I think, hard to get the ferrules up high enough, took some measurements and they were tipped.  Ball flight is low and they're short.  Failed experiment.

Took that old Vapor driver head and experimented with hot melt this morning, over did it, but it had a few strips of lead tape on it, that saved me cause I ripped those off on the range.  Struggling finding a driver setup that I can really lay into but still control with a smooth swing.  Tough balance to find.  I'm going to bump a couple more heads up to my preferred weight at 206 grams.  This would be crucial if you wanted to build a mini.  Easy process.

#3187 BIG STU

BIG STU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

View PostMatt J, on 28 October 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

These were tipped too much I think, hard to get the ferrules up high enough, took some measurements and they were tipped.  Ball flight is low and they're short.  Failed experiment.

Took that old Vapor driver head and experimented with hot melt this morning, over did it, but it had a few strips of lead tape on it, that saved me cause I ripped those off on the range.  Struggling finding a driver setup that I can really lay into but still control with a smooth swing.  Tough balance to find.  I'm going to bump a couple more heads up to my preferred weight at 206 grams.  This would be crucial if you wanted to build a mini.  Easy process.
Yep you gotta get it where the shaft kicks and does it's thing for you. Those Vapor heads are light anyhow. I did a trade deal on one brand new never hit with the wrench and everything. The only reason I did that was because it had the same shaft as my 915 and so there is my extra shaft. I did hit it some and used some lead tape to get it where I wanted it but it was just a fun experiment for me. I have never established a preferred base line weight for me on any thing just like I do not swing weight my own clubs. I go strictly off of feel and ball reaction. Now I will throw one thing into the equation on distance and control. A friend of mine talked me into going on his machine one rainy Saturday last year. I learned a wealth of knowledge about side spin on a metal driver. i actually lost distance due to side spin. I ended up changing some of the setup on the 915 and actually de lofting it some. I also changed to a softer ball and those two things did not cost me any distance in fact I picked up maybe 5 yards. Even though I am a get out of jail artist this game is a heck of a lot more easier from the fairway. Keep on experimenting with your knowledge you will get it dialed in

#3188 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,906 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

Thanks Stu.  I'm figuring it out little by little.  I find it interesting how folks think of so much of this stuff as "voodoo."  There is almost as much misinformation on this site as information.

We've officially entered the mat season.  Drives me crazy.  Somehow up in Portland, where it gets colder, and more rain, they have courses that leave grass practice tees out all winter, but not down here.  I'm realizing that part of the reason my game falls off is I just don't know what I'm playing with until a few holes into the round.  Speaking of, I'm in a slump of decent front nines and poor backs, so I need to focus on finishing stronger.

We have a 130 yard long practice hole and I really went to town for an hour this afternoon honing in the wedges.  I had gotten into a couple of bad habits I need to correct.

Booked a round to play an old Donald Ross course while I'm back in North Carolina next weekend.  Don't know that I've ever played a Ross course.  Should be interesting.  Happy Halloween Confessioners!

#3189 Halebopp

Halebopp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:28 PM

I got the set of EZ Forged last Saturday and with the snow melting a round in on Sunday and again today!

Unfortunately I'm not convinced the EZs are suitable for me, or most probably the shafts (XP 105 S). If I get a chance to play another round this year, I'll be bagging the 4s or 32s to see what I'm capable of doing with them without any kind of reliable swing at this time of the year. :) I did have the MP-4 6 iron on the range with me on Sunday for the pre-round warm up and I was hitting it much better. We'll see.

Now I got my eyes on a Ping Sigma G Doon putter. It's a 38-inches long, counter-balanced mallet and it's supposed to work with slow-tempo putting. I've always been drawn towards a long, single sight line line in the middle. It has all the bits and pieces I want after a bad day of putting with my current putters. :D Of course it would be useful to try it out before buying. :)

I do have to confess that I'm not a huge fan of Ping, the guy handling the import business isn't very good at his job and it's hurting the brand (also, it took them a couple of months to fix my i20 driver a few year back, that was a huge chunk of one season). Sadly though, it's not much better with Mizuno around here either.
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

#3190 Halebopp

Halebopp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

I have a confession. The local golf dome had its winter season opening day with a Srixon demo (unfortunately a rather lousy one at that) and free practice. I stopped by, hit some of the Srixon gear (hitting the 765 with Modus 130 stiff much better than my EZs ysterday) and then found out there are a couple of free group lessons too. The teacher's very good (but slightly expensive) and in no time he corrected some things in my setup and made me realize what I should be feeling in my backswing and downswing. If it was summer, I'd be anxious to go out to the range tomorrow and work on the issues, now I just wrote it all down after the lesson and continue working at home on it.

Anyhoo, the confession. He talked about how your right (trailing) forearm should be vertical at the top of your backswing. Nothing new there, I've tried to figure out how to get to that position without ever finding a way. Then he made a little test to us all. He asked us to raise our arm to the side to horizontal and forearm pointing up at a 90 degree angle. Then he gently tried to rotate our forearms backwards around the arm. He said the forearm should rotate about 30 degrees backwards for you to be able to swing perfectly and quite often the cause for the chicken wings and the over the top motion is the lack of mobility in your shoulders.

Needless to say he couldn't rotate either of my forearms backwards at all. I asked him what I should do to improve the mobility and he showed me several simple stretches for the shoulder area we all are familiar with (but never actually do them). Maybe now is the time to start doing them. :)

Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#3191 glk

glk

send it in jerome

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
GolfWRX Likes : 4170

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:52 AM

Weather has been wet/cold for East Tennessee the last three weeks and with our trip to San Diego next week until early December, it looks like much golf until Spring is not in the offing.    Still brewing coffee at Starbucks - though my talents at the bar won't develop more until next year cause with the holidays putting me at the bar would be a disaster at this point - yesterday we had 2 registers going, one at the drive through - and still had lines to the door with an easy 10-15 drinks backed up to be made - the 2 for 1 holiday drinks from 2-5 certainly is a big hit - have to believe we sold over $10K of coffee yesterday alone - it was a sort of controlled madhouse.    That is a lot of coffee!     Handed out freebies to vets - being a vet myself, I never ask for id - enjoyed a nice dinner  at the Calhoun's in Knoxville with a view of the Tennessee river - yikes!

#3192 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,906 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:47 AM

Had a good start today, chipped in for bird on 3, then stuck one close on 6.  Standing on the 7 tee box I was nervous sitting at 2 under.  Gotta find a way to kick those nerves.  Play was pretty week coming in... Gotta keep plugging.  First nice weather day in a week.  Was nice to play in short sleeves and sunshine.

Edited by Matt J, 13 November 2017 - 01:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors