Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Wedges - Bounce : How much ? When ? Why ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 skysaintj

skysaintj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44189
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:14 AM

Hi All ...

Need some views and info around wedges and bounce options etc ..

I recently bought a 56degree wedge (Mizuno R Series) with 13 bounce.

I have not tested the club...and theory

My previous sw had 8 bounce and i was not getting good flight out of bunkers .. a salesman at our local proshop suggested the 56/13 ...

Question

How ? When ? and why would one use more or less bounce etc..?

Would the hardness of certain bunkers or sand used play a role etc ..?

Thx :haha:

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 hardten

hardten

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2760
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:49 AM

Firmness of the sand you play definitely comes into play.My course has firm sand and I have found that the premise of using less bounce under those conditions is true.Personally I use a 58* loft 8* bounce SP Vokey.I probably would,t go over 10 bounce in firm sand.I just got new irons (again LOL) and have room for only one wedge for both sand and short pitches/lobs and will probably go 56/10 or 58/10.

#3 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:08 AM

I notice a lot of the better players use a lower bounce sand wedge or will use different wedges out of sand depending on conditions.  otoh most "traditional" sand wedges are higher bounce such as my Cleveland 588 SW @ 14 bounce.  I believe in this original line of 588 wedges, this is the only bounce available, and it is stamped "SW" right on it.   Personally, I find this higher bounce more forgiving - sand play is not yet one of my stronger areas.

#4 sdrem

sdrem

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41150
  • Ebay ID:sdrem
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:48 AM

Higher  degrees of bounce are good for soft sand and shots out of high rough.  Low bounce is better for tight fairway lies and firm conditions.
Here is a link to the Cleveland website and if you click on the bounce option their theory on bounce angles is explained:

http://clevelandgolf...a...d&current=0
Cal. X2hot 10.5* Aldila Tour Blue
Callaway X2hot 17* Aldila Tour Blue
Ping G25   20*/ 23*  tfc189
Callaway Apex 5-AW/UST Recoil
Odyssey X-milled Versa #1, SS Ultra Slim
Cal. Mack Daddy 2 55*/60* ,KBS Tour V
WITB Link

#5 jswanson

jswanson

wolfhammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3423

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

scratch has a great fitting program that will tell you what you are (ie digger, slider, etc), from there most companies have a description or suggestions for each......good luck

#6 RedGripGuy

RedGripGuy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37439

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

No matter where you play, I think it's important to have a variety of bounces in your wedges.  For example, my PW has only 6* and my LW has 8*, but my SW has 14.  I use that one out of soft conditions, or any time when I'm afraid to hit it fat.  Naturally, the lower bounce wedges catch it cleaner for greenside chipping.

#7 mozgolf

mozgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29434
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:32 AM

my simple Watson wedges have GW and LW 7* bounce (reasonably low bounce for wedges) and the SW 13* (plenty of bounce).  

Like has been said already the SW is great out of light fluffy sand. If the sand is firmer/ hard I usually use the LW out of the bunker, where I am more trying to pick the ball out clean. I havent played them all that long but the combination of one wedge high bounce and two low bounce seems to work pretty well. I guess old Tom knows a thing or two about wedges!

Edited by mozgolf, 09 January 2008 - 11:58 PM.

#8 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:01 AM

jswanson, on Jan 4 2008, 10:09 AM, said:

scratch has a great fitting program that will tell you what you are (ie digger, slider, etc), from there most companies have a description or suggestions for each......good luck

Look at www.scratchgolf.com

Selecting a wedge is much more than bounce -- it's about your swing and fitting the sole grind to your swing given your conditions.

So it's really impossible to make suggestions unless one makes assumptions about your swing.

And you really can't go by the bounce number -- many things affect the bounce of the club -- the width of the sole may "add" bounce, the grind of the club (heel, trailing edge and toe) may decrease effective bounce.

But yes, you can state the general rules -- less bounce = firm sand and firm conditions; more bounce = soft conditions and fluffy sand. But there are so many exceptions to the general rule that the general rule no longer applies.

Get fitted.
Callaway is trending up

#9 FairwayFred

FairwayFred

Major Winner

• Sponsors
  • 2,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:35 PM

Bounce is by far the most misunderstood term in golf.  The course conditions or sand conditions that you play on are the last thing that should be looked at when determining what bounce you need in a wedge.  The way you swing the club and your angle of attack is the #1 thing that should be looked at when determining what bounce and sole grind you need on a wedge.  It is also very important to consider that every company measures bounce differently.  You can take 2 wedges from 2 different manufacturers that have the same stated bounce angle and they might have very different actual bounce angles.  You can even take 2 wedges with the exact same measured bounce angle and they could play very very differently based on relief, sole width, leading edge shape etc.  
The key is getting fit correctly for the sole grind on your wedges by someone who really knows what they are doing.  Compared to fitting in every other club in the bag, fitting for wedges is still in its infancy stages so be very very careful.  There is a ton of misinformation out there.
11* TM SLDR 430 TP Japan Spec w/ Project X v39
12* TM SLDR Mini Driver w/ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 65
17* Titleist 913F w/ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 75
20* Adams Pro Mini Hybrid w/ UST Mamiya Recoil 95
4-PW Scratch Handmade LCG Chocolate Blades w/ UST Mamiya Recoil 110
54* Scratch Handmade DOG grind w/ UST Mamiya Recoil 125
60* Scratch Armory Handmade SLT grind w/ UST Mamiya Recoil 125
Scratch by James Ingles Handmade Copper pear shaped mini mallet with hand engraving
Ari Techner
President/CEO
Scratch Golf Clubs
ari@scratchgolf.com

*****PLEASE EMAIL ME INSTEAD OF PM FOR A FASTER RESPONSE*****

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors