Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

I hope Rich Lerner loses his voice really flippin fast!!

47 replies to this topic

#1 jeffyjeffmn

jeffyjeffmn

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27634
  • Ebay ID:jeffyjeffmn
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

I do not want to see or hear Rich Lerner talk anymore during the golf telecast.  I have nothing against him personally and I am sure that he is a great guy, but his short little outbursts are as annoying as anything I have ever seen.  First Golf Channel gave us the 2007 version of Frankenstein ( Vince C's replacement on the Mesquite Big Break), now they have given us these terrible skits by Lerner.  Anybody else feeling my pain or agony on this one?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 uncle rico

uncle rico

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44018
  • Ebay ID:UNCLERICO22
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

I do. Also I need Kelly Tillman to use her normal off tv voice. I hate her testosterone induced voice on the air. Why do all women broadcasters in sports use there "male" voices. Look at Jennie Zelasko, and Suzy Kolber. They kill me with their on air voices. Please talk like a woman.

#3 taylormadefan

taylormadefan

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2881
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:47 PM

Rich Lerner is one of my biggest issues with the Golf Channel.  Long before they got PGA Tour coverage, his sappy melodrama grew very old night after night on Golf Central.  I get enough "people interest stories" on my nightly news without it invading my golf coverage.  It's only gotten worse and even more over the top now that Golf Channel is covering the PGA Tour.

#4 rosskoss

rosskoss

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7235

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:48 PM

I do believe what you're hearing is Kelly's real voice. I have a friend who talks just like Kelly.

As far as women commentators, what I can't stand are the one's who whisper all the time for some odd reason. At least Kelly talks out loud.

#5 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:50 PM

Put me down as another critic.

His overly-theatrical monologues have me ready to do a Keith Moon with the TV everytime they come on...

Everything about him annoys me. Particularly that suspiciously-hued hair...

#6 uncle rico

uncle rico

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:53 PM

What time is it in the UK? You are up early every day I have noticed.

#7 mat562

mat562

• Advanced Members
  • 10,521 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

The perils of shift work...

The result is that you keep odd hours even when not at work. :haha:

#8 crew_138

crew_138

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5751
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:07 PM

View Posttaylormadefan, on Jan 3 2008, 09:47 PM, said:

Rich Lerner is one of my biggest issues with the Golf Channel.  Long before they got PGA Tour coverage, his sappy melodrama grew very old night after night on Golf Central.  I get enough "people interest stories" on my nightly news without it invading my golf coverage.  It's only gotten worse and even more over the top now that Golf Channel is covering the PGA Tour.

Ditto...

His analogies with the distinct pauses kill me too.

#9 wwhitehead

wwhitehead

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5152
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

View Postcrew_138, on Jan 3 2008, 10:07 PM, said:

Ditto...

Rich Lerner wants to be Jim Huber, who wants to be Jack Whittaker.

WW

#10 vanquish007

vanquish007

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5536

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

KT is the one I have more of a problem with. There's no one more annoying (although Rich Lerner is particularly annoying today). The tone of her voice and the mindless babble and filler drives me up the wall. I'm wearin' out my mute button!!

It's a good thing Tiger isn't in the field this week or the 'how many times can she pump Tiger's name into a telecast' game goes off the charts! :haha:  :)  :cheesy:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 El Crab

El Crab

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40465
  • Ebay ID:el_crab

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

What drives me crazy about Lerner is when he's on camera, and he's got that sh!t eating grin going the entire time.  That, and he bobs his head all the while.  

Its funny what everyone's saying about Tighlman, because my sister works for a D1 college program, and I was watching some of last year's coverage.  After about 15 seconds of casually listening, my sister said the exact same thing:  she tries to sound like a dude.

At least she is nice to look at.  I did a double take the first time I saw her on TGC after being made a commentator.  She really changed her look for the promotion.

#12 kamtile

kamtile

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38984
  • Ebay ID:keithmc0350
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

I dont mind Lerner ,although he is a bit over the top .I tend to think its more the program director at TGC thats causing most of the trouble .The STUPID segways these guys are forced to babble while trying in vain not to appear embarrassed make me cringe .And why do sportscasters need to wear suits ?I enjoyed the Golf Channel its first few years ,now ,I tevo any TGC program I plan on watching so I can fast forward through the ridiculous crap .

#13 pjccjp

pjccjp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42414
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:12 PM

View Postvanquish007, on Jan 3 2008, 10:43 PM, said:

KT is the one I have more of a problem with. There's no one more annoying (although Rich Lerner is particularly annoying today). The tone of her voice and the mindless babble and filler drives me up the wall. I'm wearin' out my mute button!!

It's a good thing Tiger isn't in the field this week or the 'how many times can she pump Tiger's name into a telecast' game goes off the charts! :haha:  :)  :cheesy:

+1 on this.  If I had to listen to her, lerner, and Bobby Clampett all do golf commentary at the same time I'd be forced to watch nothing but the European tour tournaments. :D

#14 TheLama

TheLama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40440

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:13 PM

I had on the coverage today.....first time to actually watch live coverage on TV (not AFN) since being back from Iraq. Over a delicious home cooked meal (provided by Whataburger), my wife said "I hate this guy...cant they find someone better?" I don't like the guy at all...but when it gets to my wife...yeah...he must be REALLY bad

:haha:

Brian

#15 uncle rico

uncle rico

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:25 AM

View Postpjccjp, on Jan 3 2008, 10:12 PM, said:

View Postvanquish007, on Jan 3 2008, 10:43 PM, said:

+1 on this. If I had to listen to her, lerner, and Bobby Clampett all do golf commentary at the same time I'd be forced to watch nothing but the European tour tournaments. :D

Are you kidding I love the European Tour coverage. Rentin Laidlaw rocks! He may be the best golf announcer ever.

#16 BallSpinner

BallSpinner

Does this hirsute make me look fat?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38174
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:46 AM

Kelly Tilghman is alright.  And she got even more attractive after they showed her swing from 2 angles on the Trackman during Thursday's round.

#17 stratkidp38

stratkidp38

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28205

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:08 AM

View Postwwhitehead, on Jan 3 2008, 10:18 PM, said:

View Postcrew_138, on Jan 3 2008, 10:07 PM, said:

Ditto...

Rich Lerner wants to be Jim Huber, who wants to be Jack Whittaker.

WW

Jim Huber...NOOOOOOOO!!!!!  Where did he come from?  I dread TNT's (or anyone's) coverage of ANYTHING that guy is involved with.  Look, I know you are trying to tell me a touching story about a golfer that was tragically paralyzed while trying to save children from an evil slip n' slide, but truth be told, "I don't care".  

As for Learner, he is stuck so far up Tiger Woods.  So much so, I can't tell where Tiger ends and Rich begins.  (Thats not a Tiger knock, either)

Ok, I'm done ranting...until you bring up Dan Hicks' name :haha:

#18 HEMIPHIL

HEMIPHIL

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24088
  • Ebay ID:sawmillphil95
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:08 AM

Agreed. Hey, Golf Channel...tone Lerner down a bit...[attachment=203243:185930.jpg]  "DO THAT"  

#19 MrMom

MrMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13856

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:50 AM

View Postsawmillphil, on Jan 4 2008, 08:08 AM, said:

Agreed. Hey, Golf Channel...tone Lerner down a bit...Attachment 185930.jpg[size=4]  "DO THAT"  [/size]

LOL. Where did he get that expression? That really gets under my skin. I am always expecting Lerner to say, "and she stepped on the ball, Ha, ha" (like in the movie Trading Places). Did anyone see the Boo Weekley interview? He almost ruined a Boo interview. Boo was awesome but Lerner was kind of condescending, dismissive, and arrogant.

As for Kelly Tillman. I could not stand her at all last year, but she is growing on me(or wearing me down). Not to mention she is just growing with all the travel on the road last year. Did you see her in the year end review made up like street walker? Not a good look for her. I agree she is allot better when she is not so uptight/butch.

#20 Parzinski

Parzinski

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9201
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:16 AM

Learner did the play by play for my college football games 88-91' on a local TV affiliate in eastern PA.....the guy has had the same schtick forever.....

i will say.. he's much better in the football booth than the golf tent

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 mat562

mat562

• Advanced Members
  • 10,521 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:20 AM

View Postsawmillphil, on Jan 4 2008, 08:08 AM, said:

Agreed. Hey, Golf Channel...tone Lerner down a bit...Attachment 185930.jpg[size=4] "DO THAT" [/size]

Spot the difference between this photo and tonight's broadcast.

Either his hair colour isn't entirely au naturel or he's gone 'prematurely mahogany...'

#22 ericld

ericld

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22924
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:47 AM

View Postmat562, on Jan 3 2008, 07:50 PM, said:

His overly-theatrical monologues have me ready to do a Keith Moon with the TV everytime they come on...

HA!!!

#23 mat562

mat562

• Advanced Members
  • 10,521 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:56 AM

Is it me, or is the 'look at the camera occasionally to give the viewer the impression they're included in the conversation' horrendously overdone with KT?

Faldo's always good value though. With his natural hair colour and his 'what a short hitter I was/am' humour..

Edited by mat562, 04 January 2008 - 10:58 AM.

#24 KarstenK

KarstenK

Hey Chopper, what you hitting there?

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9017
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:19 PM

His "please Calc don't change big fella" monologue was annoying.
Callaway BB 10* Kusala Blue
Ping G25 17* & 20* hybrids
Ping i20 4-GW KBS Tour R+
Callaway X-forged 56* MD
Ping Eye 2 XG 60*
Ping Ketsch

#25 ericld

ericld

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22924
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

View Postmat562, on Jan 4 2008, 08:56 AM, said:

Is it me, or is the 'look at the camera occasionally to give the viewer the impression they're included in the conversation' horrendously overdone with KT?

YES!  That is my pet peeve.  While the subject is talking she will look at the camera every 2.75 seconds.  It's an overdone "media journalism school 101" move.

There is a young black girl that does post-round interviews on the Golf Channel who does something equally annoying.  She asks the golfer a question and before they can get one word out she is nodding her head to show she understands their response.

I think the Golf Channel teaches this stuff in their new-hire orientation because it runs rampant amongst their personnel.

#26 mat562

mat562

• Advanced Members
  • 10,521 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:04 PM

View Postericld, on Jan 4 2008, 12:22 PM, said:

There is a young black girl that does post-round interviews on the Golf Channel who does something equally annoying. She asks the golfer a question and before they can get one word out she is nodding her head to show she understands their response.

That's Brandi Seymour.

Rumour has it she's been poached from the Nationwide Coverage by Lucasfilm, and earmarked for a role as R2-D2s daughter in Star Wars VII though....

#27 jo_bus

jo_bus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37876

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:31 PM

View PostMrMom, on Jan 4 2008, 08:50 AM, said:

...Did anyone see the Boo Weekley interview? He almost ruined a Boo interview. Boo was awesome but Lerner was kind of condescending, dismissive, and arrogant.

I know....he seemed quite uppity.  What a jerk.  I wonder if he disinfected Boo's chair after he left??

#28 DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan

It�s not a hill, it�s a mountain...As you start out the clim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,682 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:47 PM

I just wonder if this is what happens when a network goes on the cheap and hires affordable talent as opposed to a bigger network that can hire people for the booth with a lot more years in experience.  That is the difference really, some of these people we criticize now might turn out to be okay ten years later, but I doubt it.

Perhaps less talent is getting into broadcast journalism so more and more we get people pulled from the trenches because they can't perform at a high level in their chosen sport.  I like it when you get a former tour member to comment, but I also want them paired with a professional broadcaster who cut their teeth way before they landed a gig on national tv.  Who is the next Costas or Nance?  Even if we go down a small tier to Mike Tirico, who matches up well with him?

And I do agree with the TNT bashing, by far it is the worse golf coverage of any network.  I used to like Clampett more, but then he wrote a book and doesn't leave it alone.  I like the book, but I don't need to hear the references to it while he is supposed to be covering a golf tournament.

Let's face it, Golf Channel was already low budget, getting the TV contract for the PGA Tour probably put a serious dent in all the other operational budgets.  It's not going to get better.  At best, it gets palatable, but I don't see deserving Emmy awards in anyone's future.

#29 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,800 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 733

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

View PostBallSpinner, on Jan 4 2008, 03:46 AM, said:

Kelly Tilghman is alright. And she got even more attractive after they showed her swing from 2 angles on the Trackman during Thursday's round.

Hey Ballspinner, unless you are a chick I think Kelly is playing for the other team, if you know what I mean
Titleist 910 10.5
Nike Covert 3 wood,Ping I20 5 wood
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange
Miura 53* Y grind, SM2 58.12

#30 mziehme

mziehme

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107759
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:05 PM

The other team is lucky then.  I've seen this lady in person and all I can say is WOW!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors