Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Sky golf Linx GT

38 replies to this topic

#1 3leggedpony

3leggedpony

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130708
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:15 AM

New shot tracker from sky golf that uses a GPS watch to provide the GPS and club tagging functionality rather than a belt clip. Sounds clever as means you get yardages etc without having to check phone.
Anyone tried it?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.png

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Ruisy

Ruisy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58635
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:37 AM

I am very curious about this product as well. Was told by customer service that they are ready to ship by middle of this month.

#3 GoStars

GoStars

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116894
  • Handicap:13.8
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:34 PM

I am curious as well.. I just wonder if it will suffer the usual horrible SkyCaddie software issues at first.

#4 3leggedpony

3leggedpony

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:35 AM

I've pre-ordered it so I'll let you know
Almost certain it will be buggy though ;)

#5 Ruisy

Ruisy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:43 AM

I am really on the fence about pre-ordering (because the current $50 offer is tempting) and my previous "less than stellar" experiences with buggy SkyCaddie products. Maybe a lot of the bugs have or are being worked out because of the earlier release of the GT product.

Can't wait to see your impressions 3leggedpony.

#6 GoStars

GoStars

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:11 AM

Looking at the extensive past history.. There's a 0% chance it is released fully functioning and bug free.

#7 xoted

xoted

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417334
  • Handicap:High
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

Looks like they've updated the site to say the linx gt is shipping in june.

#8 3leggedpony

3leggedpony

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:25 AM

That makes sense - I gave up waiting and bought arccos on Friday

#9 patrickleeleep

patrickleeleep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424476
  • Ebay ID:patrickleeleep
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:37 AM

This seems like a great option. I love having the gps on my phone but hate having to pull it out of my pocket constantly. Anyone have more info on the preloaded 12 month card and advance features? Apparently to get the advance features you need a 12 month membership.

#10 xoted

xoted

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:52 AM

It's too much to type, here's a link to what comes with it and the 2 paid plans

https://shop.skygolf...inx-gt-vue.aspx

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 sompin2do

sompin2do

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96225
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

Just chatted with customer service and new release date is last week of Oct or first week of Nov.  I say Xmas is a better bet.

#12 xoted

xoted

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:08 PM

Just got an email saying mine is in the mail
Pre-ordered in June lol

#13 GoStars

GoStars

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:18 AM

Let us know how it works!

#14 Ruisy

Ruisy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:00 PM

Just ordered the Game tracking version from Rockbottom golf for $249.95 less 20% coupon code "blacktuesday" for a total of $199.96 ... what a deal!!

#15 sirparalot

sirparalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122974
  • Handicap:7.2
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:36 AM

Has anyone gotten out on the course with their new Linx GT's.  Looking for some real world reviews of the game tracking and how the system works together.

#16 sompin2do

sompin2do

Major Winner

• 1,500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96225
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

Still don't see them at PGA Tour Superstores yet.  Hope they get them soon so I can use up my gift cards.  Really anxious to see the reviews.

#17 Glasgow Golfer

Glasgow Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 270426
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:05 AM

I was going to ask if its was any good? I hot an email about it last night and i was was already looking at Arcoss and shot scope. When i googled it there are features on mags etc saying it was being released on Feb16???

#18 sirparalot

sirparalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:22 AM

anyone get one yet..reviews???

#19 xoted

xoted

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:22 PM

I have mine but haven't used it on the course. So here's what I can tell you about it so far.

No notifications on android. It says on their site notifications are ios only. I don't recall seeing that when I pre-ordered, but it is there now. If I was buying it to double as a smart watch that would be a deal breaker, but I didn't. I bought it to be a golf GPS watch.

The instructions said to get the skygolf 360 app, which I already had, but it wouldn't pair. I have a blackberry PRIV (runs android, pretty much native android.) I put it on my wife's android pixel and it wouldn't pair either. I updated and added it to my account over usb with computer. The other day I downloaded the skycaddie mobile app, and it pairs perfectly. Syncs over it too.

GPS is built into the watch. This is why I got this watch, in addition to already having an old skycaddie I got for free and liking their product. Most watches use the phones GPS and I don't want that.

The fitness tracking requires you export it from the app and import it into your fitness tracking program. I haven't tried it yet, though I looked for the export option in the apps and didn't see it in either.

The battery life has been pretty good, but I'm just messing with it and using it as a watch. It sat on my dresser for a few weeks and only used 20%.

I think the watch looks good. It has light/dark themes. If you want to wear it as a watch there's a few different clock face styles.

Thats probably as far as I should go without using it on the course. It's just been too cold.

If I had to guess - the golf tracking side is awesome, they just did a sub par job having it fully functional with phones at release. I would like to think updates will fix things, but who knows.

Edited by xoted, 08 January 2017 - 10:24 PM.

#20 sirparalot

sirparalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:14 AM

Anyone get on the course yet with the new Linx GT???  I am loyal sky caddie user and would like to see if this is worth adding to my gear (use a sky pro and an SGx currently).  Is the tracking easy to use??  Is the data coming from the unit easy to decipher on sky golf...etc.  

Thanks

Edited by sirparalot, 20 February 2017 - 06:17 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• 7,608 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 3682

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

This thing is really intriguing to me too. I'll be interested to hear how well it works.

Question. Does the watch have a view of the hole or just the list of distances?  Then in order to "see" the hole do you have to look at the phone?
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#22 xoted

xoted

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

OK, i've owed you guys an actual review. So, now that i've used it a few times, here it is.

I'm breaking this review into two sections:
A - On the course, golf related stuff (yardages, marking, tracking, ease of use, etc)
B - Everything else (smart watch, syncing, working with your phone, etc)

I will preface this with two items:
1 - The first time i went to the course i pulled it out, and turned it on. Or tried to turn it on. To turn it on you have to hold a button for 3-5 seconds and it turns on. When you first press it it says "Hold to turn on", well it never turned on. Couldn't use it. Contacted their support via chat on their website they had me hook it to the computer and press and hold two buttons to reset it. It's been fine since. I think the problem was I left it in my truck all day and the day started out in the 20s and by the time I go to the course (50 degrees) it had been cold and I think that messed it up.

2 - Battery life is excellent. It's just excellent. Your mileage may very if you're using it to track fitness and every day watch usage, but as of right now I'd have a hard time thinking you'd run out of juice if you started your round with at least 25% battery. All i'm going to say about that.

----
Part A - On the course
If you've used a skycaddie product before then you're getting exactly what you're used to. The number seem super accurate, the tracking is accurate, and it's pretty easy to use  once you figure out all the buttons (there's 6 buttons to do everything, so it takes some getting used to.) GPS seems excellent, it can even work with your phone on the course to boost your GPS (I have not figured out how this works in terms of whether you can leave your phone in the cart.)

You can pull the app up on your phone and move the ball around and see exact yardages not just to landmarks (end of fairway, creek, bunker, green, etc) but you can drag it wherever you want and get a distance to - and a distance to the hole from there - and plan your shots pretty well (so long as you can make the shot you're planning :) ). The watch itself lets you move the target around the green to change your yardage numbers, just like the old SG2 I had, but you're limited because it's a watch. Your phone is where the real fun comes in.

I have purchased generic NFC tags and confirmed they work for registering your club for shots. It cost me 13$ for a pack of 15. I have not set them up because i had my clubs regripped last week, so i was waiting for that. I have a feeling they will fall off eventually, how quickly will determine whether i spend the $60-70 on the actual buttons they sell. I'm sorry I can't speak more to that, I just haven't had the time. Generic NFC tags will work though. You can also use your phone to put in the club you used as you go (i believe... i haven't tried it, i've seen it when you look at a recorded round, so maybe you can only do it after the fact but I think you can select it on the fly as you play...)

Quick take away:
If you have used and like skycaddie products you will like this watch on the course. It's comfortable, it stays where you put it, and it seems to work great. The added abilities of the phone bring a cool addition if you're up for that.

----
Part B - Everything else
This thing sucks.

I don't know how else to say it. There's no easy way to sync the fitness stuff to fitness apps - you have to export the data and then import it. Not a big deal for me, I have a BS CS :), but for the average person they're going to read "fitness tracking" and think "smart watch" and they're going to be very disappointed.

The thing doesn't work with android. I have a blackberry priv - it's stock android with security, there's no extra skinning like what HTC, Samsung, et al do. My wife has a Pixel, which is Google's flagship phone - it is android in its purest form. It doesn't work right with either. It syncs sometimes, not others. Sometimes it syncs with the SkyCaddie Mobile app, sometimes it only syncs with the SkyCaddie 360 app, sometimes both, sometimes neither. Sometimes i remove the apps from the phone, delete the device from bluetooth device list, reinstall the apps and pair it. It works, syncs, i get the email confirmation and it's great. 45 minutes later my apps can't even find the device, muchless communicate with it.

You can hook it up via USB and sync it on your computer just like you do with all the other skycaddie products - that works great.

The take away for this section:
This watch sucks.

-----------------------

So here's the thing - if you want a golf GPS watch and you think SkyCaddie in general is worth their subscription fee, then you will absolutely be happy with this watch so long as you don't mind possibly having to sync it with the usb cable sometimes, or all the time. If you're interested in it keeping track of clubs, or just your shots, and you like their online portal for your stats, you'll be happy. If you like the addition of the phone features for shot selection (provided it's working with your phone when you go to use it, I haven't had a problem on the course but screwing around at home it's been a complete disaster) then you'll be happy.

If you're justifying the cost by thinking it'll double as the smartwatch you always wanted but never could justify just spending the money on it, then you're going to be pissed and want to return it so just save your money and get something else; or wait 6-12 months and check back and see if they fixed it.

I got it to use on the course. It's not exactly a casual looking watch, and I don't need a smart watch though I thought it would be interesting to at least have the option. So I'm happy with it.

I really like skycaddie products and I find their course information to always be up to date and always be accurate, I think their online portal is great.

Their developers suck at developing for android though, there is absolutely no doubt about that. Given the delays in release and the actual functionality, there's just no excuse. I work for a tech company, this stuff is challenging in many ways, but they seemed to get what should be difficult (the yardage/tracking/etc stuff) right, and they easy stuff (just being able to reliably connect to the device) wrong.

Maybe they're just iOS developers and none of these problems exist if you have an iPhone. unfortunately I cannot help you there.

#23 sirparalot

sirparalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:15 AM

Thanks for the review,  very anxious to hear how the tags work for the total package.  I am definitely a sky golf fan and really would only be using it for golf so this may be a nice way to go.  Please get back on the tags and ease of use and data from the course if you can.

Thanks

#24 xoted

xoted

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

Ok few updates:

Got my clubs registered. Was super easy, took less than 5 minutes. I now have zero faith those stickers will stay on for more than a few rounds, was with 10$ to try but I think I'll have to get the 70$ plastic set that punches into the grip.

I'm turning off autoswing. I was looking for a lost ball yesterday and it registered as a shot. There's other data in there from autoswing I know isn't right. Autoswing seems perfectly fine if you don't want to mark every shot and only think the data is neat to look at but otherwise done care. Now that my clubs are registered I'll mark every shot, don't need autoswing messing with it.

I think I figured out the Bluetooth sync issue... so there are two apps - skygolf 360 (your profile, stats, rounds, courses devices, etc) and sky caddie mobile (for tracking a round on your phone, also used to register your clubs' NFC tags.). The sky caddie app, one installed and set up, hijacks the Bluetooth connection from skygolf 360, and once that happens skygolf 360 can never again find your device. If I simply open skycaddie app and choose to sign out of my profile, it releases the Bluetooth connection, and when I open skygolf 360 it syncs. This has worked every time since I discovered it last night. I have done 10 or so syncs since then. Seems thoroughly tested, worked 100% of the time, but also been less than 24 hours so... we'll see. It's easy enough to work around if this proves to be the 'fix.'

Also, there's no fitness section on the mobile app but I noticed they've added it to their website portal. So now fitness tracking is a little better, still won't sync with your favorite system, and skygolf's tracking seems very basic for fitness.

#25 Ruisy

Ruisy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:18 AM

View Postxoted, on 12 March 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

Ok few updates:

Got my clubs registered. Was super easy, took less than 5 minutes. I now have zero faith those stickers will stay on for more than a few rounds, was with 10$ to try but I think I'll have to get the 70$ plastic set that punches into the grip.

I'm turning off autoswing. I was looking for a lost ball yesterday and it registered as a shot. There's other data in there from autoswing I know isn't right. Autoswing seems perfectly fine if you don't want to mark every shot and only think the data is neat to look at but otherwise done care. Now that my clubs are registered I'll mark every shot, don't need autoswing messing with it.

I think I figured out the Bluetooth sync issue... so there are two apps - skygolf 360 (your profile, stats, rounds, courses devices, etc) and sky caddie mobile (for tracking a round on your phone, also used to register your clubs' NFC tags.). The sky caddie app, one installed and set up, hijacks the Bluetooth connection from skygolf 360, and once that happens skygolf 360 can never again find your device. If I simply open skycaddie app and choose to sign out of my profile, it releases the Bluetooth connection, and when I open skygolf 360 it syncs. This has worked every time since I discovered it last night. I have done 10 or so syncs since then. Seems thoroughly tested, worked 100% of the time, but also been less than 24 hours so... we'll see. It's easy enough to work around if this proves to be the 'fix.'

Also, there's no fitness section on the mobile app but I noticed they've added it to their website portal. So now fitness tracking is a little better, still won't sync with your favorite system, and skygolf's tracking seems very basic for fitness.

Hey xoted, I have the GT version with tags but am curious about your use of generic tags?

I would like to replace the Skycaddie tags with some generic keychain tags so I don't have to worry about the installed ones breaking / coming off with repeated use and the grip caps slamming the bottom of the golfbag all the time.

I don't believe the Skycaddie tags do anything more than communicate their ID to the GPS watch so if I had a ring of the keychain tags on my golfbag, I'm thinking I could tag the club when I retrieve it from my golfbag and things would work great - someone please correct me if my line of thinking is wrong - apparently that's been known to happen.

I am curious if you know the specifics of the tags you bought so that I could buy keychain style tags that are compatible?

Thanks.

#26 xoted

xoted

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

They were just nfc stickers.

I haven't used them on the course yet, but I can already tell they won't stay on long.

As for your question - as far as I can tell, and have tested, any NFC tag/sticker/whatever should work. Just make sure you can distinguish between them space wise, you don't want 14 clubs worth of tags/stickers in a small space it might not work right. I would think Keychain tags would work perfectly fine.

#27 mustang6560

mustang6560

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 169231
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

Hi xoned, I work for SkyGolf / SkyCaddie and I wanted to reply back to thank you for your feedback. I’m glad to hear that your on-course experience has been very positive so far. We believe having the shot tracking as a feature of our rangefinder is the best way to experience performance tracking.

We were able to reproduce the syncing issue you describe, where you were having trouble switching between the Android SCM and Android SkyGolf 360 apps. We reported the issue to our Android developers and we’re in the process of fixing it. We’ll release an app update to resolve the issue.

The AutoSwing feature is designed to capture full swings from tee to green, but occasionally it does detects a false swing. While it’s easy to delete the occasional false swing, we made it a user-setting so golfers can turn it off if they prefer to tag their shots. We’re always improving AutoSwing, so I encourage you to try it again as we release updates.  

I’ll check back periodically to answer any further questions.

#28 Ruisy

Ruisy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

Hey xoted,
Thanks to your experiences I felt comfortable enough to buy some generic keychain tags and they work flawlessly so far.
As I live along the north shore of Lake Ontario the weather is just now starting to turn so I can't wait to try everything out in the next few weeks.

#29 xoted

xoted

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:16 PM

View Postmustang6560, on 21 March 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

Hi xoned, I work for SkyGolf / SkyCaddie and I wanted to reply back to thank you for your feedback. I’m glad to hear that your on-course experience has been very positive so far. We believe having the shot tracking as a feature of our rangefinder is the best way to experience performance tracking.

We were able to reproduce the syncing issue you describe, where you were having trouble switching between the Android SCM and Android SkyGolf 360 apps. We reported the issue to our Android developers and we’re in the process of fixing it. We’ll release an app update to resolve the issue.

The AutoSwing feature is designed to capture full swings from tee to green, but occasionally it does detects a false swing. While it’s easy to delete the occasional false swing, we made it a user-setting so golfers can turn it off if they prefer to tag their shots. We’re always improving AutoSwing, so I encourage you to try it again as we release updates.  

I’ll check back periodically to answer any further questions.

That's awesome. It's cool you actually posted.

My experiences with the online support people was very good too. My lockup problem was fixed in 10 minutes, if that.

If that happens to anyone else, you can fix it by simple hooking it up to your computer with the cable and pushing all 4 corner buttons at the same time. It resets the watch. Then just do a full sync. It didn't lose anything other than the settings. It even kept my clubs registered.

I've used the watch a few more times and been very happy with it. If the bluetooth syncing issue gets fixed then it'll be 100% what I need/wanted/expected. The only remaining thing would be alerts, but that's a smart watch thing I didn't buy it for that, and the site says it doesn't support android so I can't get bent out of shape about that.

Something to pass along - it seems like course detection takes a while. It always eventually figures it out, but it takes a while. I've yet to figure out a way to manually select a course from the watch, it seems like you have to use the SCM app? Simply being able to select from a list would be nice, but since GPS detection always works it's not a necessity...

Anyways, I have recommended it to friends with the caveat they might have to sync it using their computer. I've thoroughly enjoyed looking at the data post-game especially now that it registers the clubs so easily.

Edited by xoted, 17 April 2017 - 09:29 PM.

#30 sirparalot

sirparalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:18 PM

Decided to jump in on a Linx GT.  It arrived today and hope to get out on the course with it on Thurs.  I went with the full game tracking system and am looking forward to seeing if its as seamless as described.  I have been a faithful skygolf member for years and felt given the game data I already have stored in their cloud with my SGX and Skypro that this was the way to go.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors